Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Chancellor Merkel is PISSED that the NSA bugged her phone

In a highly civilized manner she just ripped Obama a new asshole at a press conference in Brussels.

by Anonymousreply 10704/23/2015

Link with translation please. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 110/24/2013

Fuck that bitch and her forced austerity on the rest of Europe.

by Anonymousreply 310/24/2013

The shit's gonna hit the fan-the NSA bugged over 35 world leaders.

by Anonymousreply 410/24/2013

They all bug each other. The whole world is bugged. Grow up.

And ANOTHER threat from Germany?

Hasn't she been paying attention?

by Anonymousreply 510/24/2013

R4, forgot to mention that that revelation comes from a memo dated to the year 2006?

by Anonymousreply 1110/24/2013

And at least Dorothy tried to add a little variety now and then. Unlike some stars who got a single hairstyle and wore it forever. I guess that is the worst hairstyle. One you never change.

Dorothy again.

by Anonymousreply 1210/24/2013

[quote] Obama is coming out of this looking downright sinister. This really is a crisis with unpleasant repercussions.

[quote] Obama = SHADY

You people really need to grow up. R5 is right on the money. This shit has been going on since year ONE.

Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan... they all fucking did it. Are you people really this naive?

The only difference is that Asshole Assange is trying to make Obama look like the bad guy. Why not pull this shit when Bush was in office?

Assange is probably a Rupert Murdoch Faux News operative.

I find it more amazing that Merkel actually thinks she WASN'T being spied on. Now THAT'S naive.

by Anonymousreply 1410/24/2013

Uhhhh, Merkel wasn't in office in 2006 yet.

by Anonymousreply 1710/24/2013

Yeah, this bugging of phones is new thing. Damn that Obama!

by Anonymousreply 1810/24/2013

[quote]Uhhhh, Merkel wasn't in office in 2006 yet.

Ummm, no one said she was being bugged in 2006. The claim was 35 world leaders had their phones bugged.

by Anonymousreply 1910/24/2013

Well Obama did not really stop with the bugging.

by Anonymousreply 2010/24/2013

[quote] We had a president once who broke into peoples offices, stole confidential medical files to use against his opponents and bugged peoples telephones. It would be naive to think that Obama could rise to level above such dealings. Right?

Thanks for your false equivalency input.

The Watergate break-in was against the law.

At most, the NSA spying is a grey area in the international realm, and as mentioned before... done by ALL countries, not just the US.

And why should Obama stop the practice if it has to do with national security?

by Anonymousreply 2410/24/2013

Welcome to Outrage Theater.

This is a lot of posing. All governments engage in as much espionage as they can possibly get away with. But it looks good to their constituents when foreign leaders stand up to the big, bad old USA.

by Anonymousreply 2510/24/2013

IMO, we're only hearing about snooping that went nowhere.

The next shoe to drop us the effective campaigns. The point of this was blackmail and tabloid takedowns of leaders via there own domestic media.

Dont forget, the US collapsed in '08. Whats really been keeping the dollar worth anything?

by Anonymousreply 2610/24/2013

[quote]All governments engage in as much espionage as they can possibly get away with.

And the proof that Germany bugged Obamas' phone can be found where?

by Anonymousreply 2810/24/2013

I doubt that Germany could have gotten away with it, douchebag at R28. If they could have, they certainly would have - as would any other country.

R25 has you hysterical Obama hating idiots pegged. Pun intended.

As far as I can tell, you're a bunch of shockingly ignorant children in a never-ending tantrum. Your fathers should put up videos on Youtube of your incessant whining and wailing being mocked.

by Anonymousreply 2910/24/2013

Should the spying not be the other way around. People should demand open cards if they pay taxes and vote for politicians.

Weird world.

I stopped liking Obama when his wife presented an Oscar to Uber douche Affleck and when they became friends Beyonce and allowed her to lip sync at the inauguration.

When art and culture becomes cheap and fake it's a dead sure give away the political administration is deeply fucked.

by Anonymousreply 3110/24/2013

Well we know that Dubya started reading our e-mails and listening to our conversations, many years ago.

Why? I honestly don't know what is the point? Is the military going to come and take us into custody when they finally get their coup together? Did I say that right?

by Anonymousreply 3210/24/2013

Thank God there was a mole in the government that exposed this abuse.

by Anonymousreply 3310/24/2013

[quote]I stopped liking Obama when his wife presented an Oscar to Uber douche Affleck

So not closing Gitmo when he said he would, not getting us out of Iraq when he said he would, not going after the Wall Steet tycoons who wrecked our economy or killing innocent people with drone strikes is A-ok in your book. But something his wife did is a whole other matter.

That's the route you're taking?

by Anonymousreply 3410/24/2013

I don't think you understand the whole meaning of my post, but on another not absolutely agree with you!

by Anonymousreply 3510/24/2013

Are you all 12 years old?

"But everyone does it Mummmy...."

We have this wonderful and very effective way of sharing information and communicating around the globe. It helps to level the playing field for all races and classes. It takes the power away from main stream media, corporations and governments - and spreads among the people.

Now thanks to the behavior of the USA and the NSA everyone has to wonder just who is listening in - and what might happen to them as a result.

Remember we have a President who has made his lack of respect for habeas corpus very clear. On top of that he has made it clear he has the authority to kill American citizens without so much as charges being filed let alone proven in court.

by Anonymousreply 3610/24/2013

Shit, I dont understand what you're writing at R35. Can you do it again, this time in English?

by Anonymousreply 3710/24/2013

Are you seriously so stupid, R30, that you are unaware of even the most basic history of espionage in the world? And this is while you go around ranting and raving about... wait for it... espionage in the world.

Good lord. Apparently calling you shockingly ignorant wasn't strong enough. Since before the days of Julius Caesar, and ever after, leaders have spied on other leaders around the world, countries have spied on other countries. It's common knowledge.

If you want to be against anyone spying on anyone else - and against any country spying on any other country - then be that. Just don't try to force this ridiculous attitude of 'Obama is the Only One and the Worst One Evah!' on intelligent people. It just makes you look stupid and sub-adult.

It also makes you look like a right wing racist piece of shit. You are attacking President Obama over a 2006 memo about spying on Germany that clearly and obviously occurred during the Bush administration. That's a racist shit-stain maneuver, pure and simple. Now go ahead and have a melt-down about that, pookie.

by Anonymousreply 3810/24/2013

Shorter version of R38:

I still refuse to provide actual proof to this claim, so I will continue to call names. It worked when I was in the 3rd grade, so how can it fail now?

by Anonymousreply 3910/24/2013

[quote]You are attacking President Obama over a 2006 memo about spying on Germany

Oh really? And in what post did I do that? Oh, that's right, I never did.

[quote]Just don't try to force this ridiculous attitude of 'Obama is the Only One and the Worst One Evah!'

Again, something I never said. It appears as well as answer questions, reading comprehension is an issue with you. Most communities have a class for adult illiterates. Check it out sometime.

by Anonymousreply 4010/24/2013

The Europeans probably regret giving Obama the Nobel Peace Prize.

by Anonymousreply 4110/27/2013

OK, so it may have started before Obama came in.

But Obama is now president. And it is still going on.

Who else is Merkel going to challenge about it but the present administration?

Why would anyone think it would be effective of her to challenge the last president's administration at this point?

by Anonymousreply 4210/27/2013

Hey, you asked what was on her iPod and we took you literally.

by Anonymousreply 4310/27/2013

The US has been bugging her phone since 2002, when she was opposition leader. So it began under Bush.

by Anonymousreply 4410/27/2013

Apparently Obama told Merkel that he didn't know she was buggrd and promised her ti stop it.

It was later revealed that Obama knew since 2010 and didn't intervene.

This is bad for his image and the image for the USA in Europe. Really bad.

by Anonymousreply 4510/27/2013

Nobody gets into the Oval Office unless the powers that be are fully convinced that he isn't going to rock the boat. The espionage-industrial complex is every bit as money and power-hungry as the military and financial industries et al., and with a cheap and easy method like cell phone tapping (which even Rupert Murdoch was getting away with and probably still is, despite some of his minions having gone to jail for it) there was no way they'd give it up, even if Obama had ordered them to do it. They are professional ratfuckers and ratfucking is what they do.

by Anonymousreply 4610/27/2013

So lets just hope Obama still has control over things like -what country are we going to attack next, or lets not get money hungry capitalist America fuck up the world economy again.

If they did it with Merkel, they did it with other world leaders as well. They seriously should be pissed and should give Obama/US/the powers that be a dose of their own medicine.

by Anonymousreply 4710/27/2013

Is the assumption that no other country on this planet does this?

by Anonymousreply 4810/27/2013

It's only the assumption among the non-political class, R48. Merkel's reaction (along with that of other political leaders across the globe) is an exercise in hypocrisy that all governments engage in. Germany engages in this kind of subterfuge just as much as we do. So does every other country in the world, to the degree they can manage it. And every government leader knows it.

by Anonymousreply 4910/27/2013

So only the US is dumb enough to get caught!

by Anonymousreply 5010/27/2013

As I asked earlier, what motivation does Snowden have for revealing this stuff? It's one thing to say you want the American people to know they're being spied on, I can understand that (even if I think he was naive or deluded to think anything would change), but what change does he hope to effect by revealing NSA activities abroad? I doubt they'll stop (way too much $$$$$ to be made).

On a related note, how the heck did he get access to this sort of stuff? Booz Allen makes billions off this stuff and this is the best they can do with our money?

by Anonymousreply 5110/27/2013

I think Snowdon continues to sell any tidbit of info for money. How is he making a living otherwise? It's about money, not principle.

by Anonymousreply 5210/27/2013

I bet she had a lot of phone sex and that's why she's so nervous

by Anonymousreply 5310/27/2013

I'm sure Merkel isn't surprised, and probably not that pissed off. But this is perfect leverage to get something of benefit to Germany in any future negotiations.

by Anonymousreply 5410/27/2013

Maybe Obama didn't start the bugging, maybe Obama didn't start the drone strikes and he sure didn't start the wars or Gitmo, but he has done precious little to stop any of this. He is no better than Bush.

by Anonymousreply 5510/27/2013

C'mon Angie, get the ol' gang back together again and show everyone how Blitzkrieg mit Endlösung is REALLY done. I'm sure there's a little switch that just turns it all on again.

by Anonymousreply 5610/27/2013

Russel Tice says that a lot of blackmailing is going on. Lawfirms and judges in the pockets of those with incriminating info. That is the kind of evidence Snowden needs to produce for the American People to rise up.

If they know that judges are ruling in ways that make THEM lose money than they'll understand how this affects them.

Snowden gained nothing by revealing this information. He did it because he found it impossible to accept. He found out that the FBI and DOJ and even ACLU were not there to protect the American poeple.

by Anonymousreply 5710/27/2013

R55, over reaching much? If the doc is from 2006, Obama has nothing the do with her old number. Now, if her new number shows up on a list when she actually was PM , THEN you can blame Obama. Otherwise, compose yourself girlfriend, it's unbecoming.

by Anonymousreply 5810/27/2013

The bitch needs to shut the fuck up.

if I was Obama, I'd say: "I guess she has finished writing the 6 million apology letters for the holocaust? "

by Anonymousreply 5910/27/2013

R52, one of the conditions that Snowden was given in order to get refuge in Russia was that he wouldn't continue to leak info.

by Anonymousreply 6010/27/2013

R49, you should assume that China is doing it. And I think everyone in China knows that if they tried to pull a stunt like Snowden, they'd be assassinated.

by Anonymousreply 6110/27/2013

Obama fanboy here... Well, maybe more accurately Obamacare fanboy, but anyway, I'm here to say that I think it's wrong that the NSA (under Obama, and Bush before him, ad infinitum) is spying on everyone. Now, I'm not so naive as to think we don't spy in foreign governments, but what's up with spying on those we consider friends, let alone spying on Americans? It really is an affront to international relations when this comes out. And Europeans should be pissed off that we tapped their phones. But, Americans should be even more pissed off that we've lost our Fourth Amendment protections. But we should have expected it because as Americans, we can only fight the last war rather than move on and look for the next war. And then we can all be surprised when the next war comes, look back and say "Nobody could have seen..." (Now why does that sound so familiar?)

[quote]They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

by Anonymousreply 6210/27/2013

I generally agree with the franklin quote

by Anonymousreply 6310/27/2013

Friendly countries spy on us, r62. During WWII, before the US was involved, Great Britain had spies working in the US. They even caused political trouble for an anti-interventionist congressman.

by Anonymousreply 6410/27/2013

Problem is, the corporations have gotten their fingers in the federal pie. They'll never give it up.

by Anonymousreply 6510/27/2013

Part of the frustration here with Obama was that he was supposed to be different. He talked about an end to foreign interventions, a transparent government, restoring privacy, and changing the Washington way.

The problem is that people bought it because after 8 years of Bush, it sounded so promising. It was all political rhetoric. Obama is one of the most brilliant political orators I've ever seen. However, that does not carry over into his leadership abilities.

What we got was more of the same.

by Anonymousreply 6610/27/2013

ABC's This Week with George Snuffaluffagus barely mentioned this situation. Shameful.

by Anonymousreply 6710/27/2013

I think Obama wanted to change things, R66. But I don't think he can. And frankly, that's partly on us, cause we Americans are a lazy bunch. We have the government we fight for.

by Anonymousreply 6810/27/2013

R59, you do realise that 60 million plus people died in the Second World War, over 5 million of whom were Germans. The Holocaust, which wasn't just about the 6 million Jewish victims, was only one aspect of it. A hugely important aspect, but just one aspect.

Why do so many Americans always reduce the War to one aspect of it? And it's usually those Americans who are also completely ignorant of modern Germany.

R64, except today the UK doesn't spy on the US and those two countries have an agreeement, along with Canada, New Zealand and Australia. This is called the "five eyes" programme, where they share intelligence information and promise not to spy on each other. This is also a tacit acknowledgement that there is no agreement not to spy on other allied countries that aren't part of the five eyes. What Merkel wants to do is establish a similar bilateral arrangment with the US, which is a very reasonable demand.

Merkel is usually a smart woman, so I'm not sure why she was using an unencrypyted phone (this phone was for party business, so maybe German intelligence services don't cover that).

by Anonymousreply 6910/27/2013

[quote]ABC's This Week with George Snuffaluffagus barely mentioned this situation.

But it did include this truism from reporter Terry Moran: As long as there have been allies, there has been spying on allies.

by Anonymousreply 7010/27/2013

I wonder what the Chancellor thinks about baking 6,000,000 Jews?

by Anonymousreply 7110/27/2013

[quote] Now thanks to the behavior of the USA and the NSA everyone has to wonder just who is listening in -

You really don't know? I'll tell you who's listening in. The US, Chima, Russia and Israel are listening in.

I'm surprised an adult doesn't know this.

by Anonymousreply 7210/27/2013

R71, did she bake them? No. Was she even alive when it happened? No.

My parents taught me at a very young age that you should think about what you say before you say it.

by Anonymousreply 7310/27/2013

Imagine. Someone who grew up in one of worlds most notorious police states getting upset about wiretaps by a sprawling wiretapping operation run by the world's most powerful government.

by Anonymousreply 7410/27/2013

[quote]I wonder what the Chancellor thinks about baking 6,000,000 Jews?

She's probably just as concerned as Bibi Netanyahu is concerned about all the non-Jews who died in World War Two.

by Anonymousreply 7510/27/2013

Why do you think we get so upset about government spying but don't seem to care as much about what corporations are doing to our privacy?

by Anonymousreply 7610/27/2013

"President Barack Obama knew of the organization’s spying on German Chancellor Angela Merkel – and approved of the efforts, a National Security Agency official has reportedly told a German newspaper.

The Economic Times writes the “high-ranking” NSA official spoke to Bild am Sonntag on the condition of anonymity, saying the president, “not only did not stop the operation, but he also ordered it to continue.”

The Economic Times also reports the official told Bild am Sonntag that Obama did not trust Merkel, wanted to know everything about her, and thus ordered the NSA to prepare a dossier on the politician."

by Anonymousreply 7710/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 7810/27/2013

I would guess it is a very safe bet that Russia and China have also bugged most world leaders. So our "friends" don't want us to know what is going on with them, while our adversaries most likely have the same information. Cry me a river.

by Anonymousreply 7910/27/2013

[quote]Maybe Obama didn't start the bugging, maybe Obama didn't start the drone strikes and he sure didn't start the wars or Gitmo, but he has done precious little to stop any of this. He is no better than Bush.

[quote] Part of the frustration here with Obama was that he was supposed to be different. He talked about an end to foreign interventions, a transparent government, restoring privacy, and changing the Washington way...It was all political rhetoric... What we got was more of the same.

And this.

I voted for him, and I'll vote for the next one who fucking well knows better, and doesn't do better. Probably Hilary. Maybe Joe Biden. Or who knows? We don't vote for people anymore; we vote against them. People voted for Obama in 2008; in 2012, they voted against Romney and everything that he stands for, which is ultimately what Obama also stands for, but issues nice sounding platitudes against.

And we all know he's a figurehead. But a real leader, one who isn't a puppet in body and soul, would stand in front of a camera and tell us the truth.

He would say: thank you for voting for me, and "I know you wanted something different than bailing out the world's billionaires, reading your email, listening in on your phone calls, pissing off the rest of the world, health care reform that guarantees a 20% profit to insurance companies, and spending American blood and treasure on dirty wars that make everyone hate us, BUT -

There is a cabal of military, paramilitary, corporations both foreign and domestic, and mega billionaires who want the world this way, and I'm powerless to change anything. And here are their names."

I think I'll hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

by Anonymousreply 8110/27/2013

Is it any wonder why Germany is pissed at the US Government?

The US wants to drag them in to the fight over Crimea and Ukraine, while EVERYONE knows the US Government spent billions fomenting the revolution and ouster of their corrupt president.

by Anonymousreply 8203/16/2014

[quote]The US wants to drag them in to the fight over Crimea and Ukraine, while EVERYONE knows the US Government spent billions fomenting the revolution and ouster of their corrupt president.

An amusing interpretation of events from Wackyland.

Here on planet Earth, Merkel's been getting more aggressive towards Putin entirely on her own. (she speaks Russian.) And she was the one informing Obama that Putin's not completely playing with a full deck.

And EVERYBODY knows that anyone who uses the term "EVERYONE knows" is pulling propaganda out of their ass.

by Anonymousreply 8303/16/2014

Merkel's one tough powerful bitch!

by Anonymousreply 8403/16/2014

When are we going to revolt? What "red line" needs to be crossed before the serfs decide enough is enough and tell DC to fuck off?

by Anonymousreply 8503/16/2014

Your inability to understand reality is disturbing. Seriously.

If Russia wanted to invade the Baltics the EU and US would be powerless to her without using nukes.

by Anonymousreply 8603/16/2014

The only reason she is Chancellor of Germany is because the CIA put her there. No conservative could win in Germany without their help. This is a question of "The Lady Protesteth Too Much"

by Anonymousreply 8703/16/2014

Boy, that's some tough talk R85, esp. for somebody who doesn't live here. And particularly hilarious to call for the overthrow of the US and at the same time demanding that the world leave Russia alone. Double standards much?

by Anonymousreply 8803/16/2014

Don't forget likely German complicity in the Oklahoma city bombing.

by Anonymousreply 8903/16/2014

Considering her work for the Stasi during the 70s and 80s it wouldn't shock me if she was actually a double agent for the CIA.

The fact that German newspapers NEVER bring up her work for the Russians and the Stasi speaks volumes to the control TPTB have over the press. Intelligent Germans hate her guts, and laughed when it turned out she had been spied on by the US. Her fake indignation was hysterical.

Stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 9003/18/2014

If Obama was a Republican this website would be calling for his execution.

by Anonymousreply 9103/18/2014

If Libertarians had three functioning brain cells in their head they'd die of shame over their brain-damaged beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 9203/19/2014

There are Democrats and then there are Obamacrats. They only care about him.

by Anonymousreply 9303/19/2014

That is an interesting link, R89. Interesting what happened at Lady Godiva's strip club on April 8th 1995.

by Anonymousreply 9403/19/2014

When Germans are bold enough to publicly compare your spy agencies with the STASI, you have a problem.

The fact that +/-30% of German natural gas energy comes from Russia, via pipelines in Ukraine, Merkel is going to eventually side with Putin.

Putin is a thug, but so was Bush the Lesser and so is Obama.

In an angry exchange with Barack Obama, Angela Merkel has compared the snooping practices of the US with those of the Stasi, the ubiquitous and all-powerful secret police of the communist dictatorship in EastGermany, where she grew up.

The German chancellor also told the US president that America's National Security Agency cannot be trusted because of the volume of material it had allowed to leak to the whistleblower Edward Snowden, according to the New York Times.

Livid after learning from Der Spiegel magazine that the Americans were listening in to her personal mobile phone, Merkel confronted Obama with the accusation: "This is like the Stasi."

by Anonymousreply 9503/19/2014

Paid government drone.

by Anonymousreply 9603/24/2014

Perhaps they all did it. It sucks.

When it became apparent that Nixon was spying on people, we were all appalled. I am not going to give Obama a pass on this because I'm not a hypocrite. I don't have one set of rules for politicians I like for the most part and another for those I can't stand.

by Anonymousreply 9703/25/2014

I think the NSA just does what it wants and the only way to stop them would be to disband the entire agency completely

by Anonymousreply 9803/25/2014

R97- exactly.

When Bush 2.0 started wars, the state socialist thugs wailed.

When Obama (Bush 3.0) did the same, they defended him.

They worship government power.

by Anonymousreply 9903/25/2014

If Obama tried to disband the NSA/CIA he would be JFK 2.0.

They would murder him and laugh.

The fact that most people here on datalounge refuse to see how the CIA murdered JFK makes me think they would see Obama as a martyr and never look any deeper than what the government tells them.

They BELIEVE in government. They worship it. Trying to convince them that it is evil is Sissy-phean.

by Anonymousreply 10003/25/2014

[quote]Merkel's one tough powerful bitch!

Pfft! Amateur.

by Anonymousreply 10103/25/2014

The gay community is pissed that Merkel continues to block gay equality in Germany.

by Anonymousreply 10203/28/2014

by Anonymousreply 10303/28/2014

Greenwald is dumping a list of millions of people that are being monitored by the NSA.

Is your name on that list?

by Anonymousreply 10405/29/2014

Stupid twat.

by Anonymousreply 10504/10/2015

by Anonymousreply 10604/22/2015

Love how in this country it always comes down to an easy and false contest between the Republicans and the Democrats, the right and the so called left. When, in actuality, they are, unfortunately, on some points but still thank goodness not on others, pretty close to each other.

Yes, it is is possible to be a Democrat, to hold your nose and vote, and even to support centrist candidates over the ones you might favor out of practicality and not wanting to throw the country over to the beasts - and to still call leaders one supports, like the Clintons and Obama, out on their crap!

in fact, there are times when it is the only right thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 10704/23/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!