Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you wear an undershirt underneath your shirt?

Do you wear an undershirt underneath your shirt?

Or are you bare-chested underneath that shirt?

Why do you wear an undershirt underneath your shirt?

Or why do you NOT wear an undershirt underneath your shirt? And bare-chested underneath that shirt?

Vote below and then discuss.

by Anonymousreply 11511/04/2014

I wear a collection of linen undershirts that match the line of my oxford shirts perfectly. They were all hand-sewn by tiny Ugandan children.

Unfortunately, there was a war or something, so I don't know how I'll replace them. Thank god I bought in bulk.

by Anonymousreply 910/24/2013

What is the point of a "wife beater," R8 (or anyone)? Men seem to wear undershirts to prevent their armpits from touching their dress shirts, which, of course, fails to happen with a "Guinea T" (what we called them in NJ).

by Anonymousreply 1010/24/2013

I wear a Manssiere.

by Anonymousreply 1110/24/2013

Depends.

Dress shirts, always with undershirt.

Casual shirts, depends on temperature.

by Anonymousreply 1410/24/2013

I wear antiperspirant. A tee shirt keeps my dress shirts from getting stained from the antiperspirant. So yeah, I wear them.

by Anonymousreply 1510/24/2013

Dress / button down shirts, yes. Casual polo types, no

by Anonymousreply 1610/24/2013

I wear a suit and tie to work so always an undershirt.

Casual, I try to avoid them. I like the look better without.

I do like them with a V-neck sweater.

by Anonymousreply 1710/24/2013

Always wear an undershirt.Never liked feeling my outer shirt directly against my body. Usually the standard version, sometimes a V-neck. I feel more comfortable, dry and "dressed" that way. When I see a guy obviously NOT wearing a T, I wonder if he feels comfortable? In hot weather, it absorbs a lot of moisture. I don't use deodorant/anti-perspirant, so it's a help in THAT department too.

by Anonymousreply 1810/24/2013

Unless I am wearing just a t-shirt, yes. I always wear them under dress shirts and even polos unless it is really hot.

by Anonymousreply 1910/24/2013

I wear an undershirt because I can't afford regular waxing, let alone laser light surgery.

by Anonymousreply 2010/24/2013

All my underthings were made by the nuns at the Convent of St. Annes

by Anonymousreply 2110/24/2013

I speak for many professional men and we always wear a white cotton T-shirt under our 100% cotton long sleeved shirts, regardless if it is summer or winter.

by Anonymousreply 2210/24/2013

r26 And you would be wrong, you insufferable prig.

by Anonymousreply 2710/24/2013

Anytime you see love scenes on the Soaps, the female rips off the guys shirt and he is never wearing an undershirt underneath that dress shirt.

So you would think no one wears an undershirt.

by Anonymousreply 3110/25/2013

That trend started in 1939, R31.

by Anonymousreply 3210/25/2013

Close, but no cigar, R32. The trend DID start with Clark Gable, but in "It Happened One Night." When he removed his shirt, revealing that he was wearing no undershirt, haberdashery sales dropped across the country. And he won an Oscar -- as did Claudette Colbert, the movie itself, the director... so presumably it was not just for displaying his manly nipples.

Personally, I wear all of my underwear OUTSIDE my clothes. Makes it easier to change.

by Anonymousreply 3310/25/2013

I wear a cotton undershirt because my nipples are too sensitive to not wear one.

by Anonymousreply 3410/25/2013

I always wear an undershirt or T-shirt underneath a long-sleeved shirt. It's softer against my skin (I know - MARY!), and it saves on laundry.

I don't understand why people wear wifebeaters under long-sleeved shirts. A regular undershirt will cover up sweat or deodorant stains, and if you're wearing it for warmth, it's warmer, too. It seems pointless.

And for the person earlier who said that you can see the ends of undershirt sleeves underneath dress shirts: do you mean you are wearing short-sleeve dress shirts and you can see the sleeves, or you can see the outline of the undershirt underneath the dress shirt? Because a dress shirt usually isn't that tight or that sheer that you can see the outline of something underneath.

by Anonymousreply 3510/25/2013

Thanks for the note, R33. I've had that wrong for so long.

Here's a pic from "It Happened One Night."

by Anonymousreply 3610/25/2013

r28 Your own special odor is quite evident, and redolent. Thanks for sharing.

by Anonymousreply 3710/25/2013

[quote]I wear a cotton undershirt because my nipples are too sensitive to not wear one.

Funny; I wear a cotton undershirt because others are so sensitive to my nipples.

by Anonymousreply 3810/25/2013

Yes. To capture sweat, or keep me warm. I also think it's a neater appearance to wear a crew neck tshirt for the office or whenever I want to dress conservatively. I always wear a white crew neck under a dress shirt. For more casual looks or whenever I want to show of my furry chest, I wear a white tank top (aka wifebeater).

by Anonymousreply 4210/25/2013

r41, do you have chest hair?

by Anonymousreply 4310/25/2013

I wear an undershirt under everything EXCEPT my kaftan

by Anonymousreply 4410/25/2013

R44 is a Kommunist.

by Anonymousreply 4710/25/2013

r41 here. Hairy from below rib cage to just above nipples.

by Anonymousreply 4810/25/2013

Like a lot of others - generally under a dress shirt for work, and the rest of the time it really depends on the shirt and the weather and I often don't wear one in casual situations if I'm just wearing a basic shirt, short sleeve or otherwise

I occasionally don't where an undershirt under a dress shirt, but more often than not do.

But always under a casual sweater if not wearing a collared shirt underneath. I would very rarely wear an undershirt, second layer shirt (generally a long sleeve button down) and then a sweater. But, sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 5110/30/2013

On a man with a nice chest, tshirt under Polo is a sexy look.

by Anonymousreply 5311/04/2013

I hate wearing panties if any of you care.

by Anonymousreply 5511/07/2013

[quote] I wear a white t-shirt underneath my shirts. I can't afford to get my chest hair removed permanently. It sucks to be poor.

Isn't there some type of charity to help you with this? It's 2013. People shouldn't have to live like that

by Anonymousreply 5611/07/2013

When it's hot, no. When it's cold, yes.

by Anonymousreply 5811/07/2013

[R50] There are some of us who prefer guys with hair on their torso. I wish that I had some.

by Anonymousreply 6111/09/2013

I wear the under at outer.

by Anonymousreply 6301/03/2014

[quote]having hair on one's torso is a big liability if you're gay.

I love curling up next to a big hairy chest. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 6401/03/2014

I wasn't able to vote. When the temperature is cool or cold I always where an undershirt. When it is warm I sometimes where an undershirt. When it is very warm or hot I never wear an undershirt.

by Anonymousreply 6601/03/2014

What kind of cheap POS shirts do you wear, R65, that someone can see your mipples through them?

by Anonymousreply 6701/03/2014

I always wear an a-shirt under my shirt. Even when it's just a t-shirt.

by Anonymousreply 6901/03/2014

Hairy chest and broad shoulders, R68? Are you single?

You are right, though. I would be staring at your hairy cleavage just like a het would be staring at a girl's titties.

by Anonymousreply 7001/03/2014

I wear an industrial strength girdle. Grade AA.

by Anonymousreply 7101/03/2014

I suffer from excessive hairiness myself, and as far as undershirts go, a crew-neck shirt just traps all those little bristles down against my neck and by the end of the day I have self-inflicted rug-burn around my collar.

The A-shirt is my standard--it keeps me cool on my chest and back, and even if a few tufts sprout above my dress-shirt's top button in the office it's better than an abraded throat at home.

Hanes's A-shirts are too thin, and they don't hold up in the wash. I really like Stafford and Jockey undershirts.

by Anonymousreply 7303/15/2014

R15 is correct about the stains, but for some of us even the undershirt can't stop discoloration of the dress shirt from antiperspirant. I go just with deodorant and have no sweat marks.

R26 seems to be under the delusion that undershirts can't be washed, changed out, and ironed. They don't show.

And R62 is just incoherent. Wearing an undershirt doesn't undermine the "usefulness" of a dress shirt. What a moron.

by Anonymousreply 7403/15/2014

Of course, I have them made especially for me by the nuns in the convent of St. Clair.

by Anonymousreply 7603/15/2014

It is incorrect to wear an undershirt with a dress shirt.

It's also incorrect to were a dress shirts with buttons on the collar and a tie.

It's incorrect to have a tie come to any level EXCEPT directly above the belt.

Anything else is wrong. You can wear it else-wise but you are WRONG.

by Anonymousreply 7703/15/2014

ALAWAYS an undershirt.

ALWAYS.

by Anonymousreply 7803/15/2014

You mean a tee-shirt?

by Anonymousreply 7903/15/2014

Yes. For a couple of reasons.

Dress shirts don't get as stinky and can be worn a couple of times before cleaning.

Dress shirts are really uncomfortable to the skin especially when starched, as mine always are.

It's gross to not wear them at work unless you're a lifeguard.

Now who is the moron that says you can never wear ties with button down collars? Idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 8003/15/2014

Another afflicted with nipple sensitivity here. Soft tee shirt is a must.

by Anonymousreply 8103/15/2014

I have to wear a T-shirt or undershirt everyday. I have tactile sensitivities and cannot stand to wear even a sweatshirt without a T-shirt underneath. Also, I can only wear boxer briefs, 100% cotton clothes and (unless I am wearing shorts) I must wear Wigwam brand socks, because they come up to my knees.

I think tactile sensitivities are becoming more common, they certainly run in my family.

by Anonymousreply 8203/15/2014

[quote]Depends.

That's what I wear under my clothes too!

by Anonymousreply 8303/15/2014

Also, I can only wear crew neck too, never a V-neck-it drives me crazy. I cannot wear long sleeve T-shirts either (unless I am wearing a short sleeve T-skirt underneath.)

Tactile sensitivity is an awful thing to have. Sometimes I think I have a touch of Asperger's.

by Anonymousreply 8403/15/2014

[quote]I would no more wear a disgusting undershirt under a nicely ironed dress shirt than I would allow visible underwear lines to show through my dress pants.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 8503/15/2014

[quote]Tactile sensitivity is an awful thing to have. Sometimes I think I have a touch of Asperger's.

Gee, ya think?

by Anonymousreply 8603/15/2014

No if it's hot. Yes if it's cold.

by Anonymousreply 8703/15/2014

I'm R82 and R84. I wonder how any other people are just like me with the tactile sensitivities and OCD-tendencies.

It's always hard for me in the spring when I have to stop wearing thermal underwear. I am so used to the feeling that my legs just sting for days when I gave to stop wearing them. It feels so weird.

April 1st is the day I give up my thermal underwear for the spring...and it's coming up soon!

by Anonymousreply 8803/15/2014

I always wear one as a precautionary measure, for fear I am losing at strip poker with the ugly.

by Anonymousreply 8903/15/2014

The Genie Bra cause it makes me feel pretty. And perky.

by Anonymousreply 9003/15/2014

I am far more concerned about panty lines

by Anonymousreply 9103/15/2014

It is considered low-class and heathen-ish to dress improperly by not wearing an undershirt. Ill-mannered and uncouth. A proper, well-groomed gentleman always wears an under garment.

No excuses will be accepted. It's proper etiquette.

by Anonymousreply 9203/15/2014

r92: Mary!

by Anonymousreply 9303/15/2014

I used to, but not anymore. With a nice button up that's fitted, you can see the muscle contours of the chest and arms. Others have told me that this is sexy.

by Anonymousreply 9403/15/2014

I don't wear an undershirt under my Polos. But I do wear another Polo under my Polos.

by Anonymousreply 9503/16/2014

I buy X-Small undershirts so they act like Spanx underneath my dress shirts. It's like a corset that keeps everything in. Works great with Polos too.

by Anonymousreply 9603/16/2014

I don't like having the collars of the undershirts showing so I buy V-necks but they still show and looks worse because you see the V. Now I use scissors to cut out the V and make an extra deep V so no collar shows at all.

by Anonymousreply 9703/16/2014

I do that too r97

These are the best t shirts. They don't bunch up like cotton ones can and are very soft on the skin. Quick drying too.

Ex-Officio is the brand.

by Anonymousreply 9803/16/2014

$38 for an undershirt?? Are you crazy? And you cut it up too?

by Anonymousreply 9903/16/2014

I have cut some older ones up to make the v deeper.

I think I get them cheaper on Amazon. REI will have them on sale too. They last forever. I'm talking years. The cheap cotton ones have to be replaced every couple of months because they launder poorly and the necks stretch out of shape, especially crew necks.

Trust me. Try one of the Ex-Officio shirts. You will love them. The boxer briefs are great too. They travel well and you can wash them out in the shower and they will be dry by morning.

by Anonymousreply 10003/16/2014

Gross, I'm not washing my underwear in the shower. What am I, Anderson Cooper?

by Anonymousreply 10103/17/2014

In the summer, on very damp days, I wear one under a dress shirt to keep from sweating. In the winter, I sometimes, though rarely, wear one to keep warm if it is very cold.

Otherwise, no.

by Anonymousreply 10203/17/2014

I wear an undershirt because as a teenager my Mom made me and now as a married man my wife makes me, lol! As my wife says, if she can wear a bra, I can wear an undershirt.

To me, crew neck looks fine under a "uniform" and its great with shirt and tie, but if you wear a dress shirt, open collar, no tie, a V-neck undershirt is a must.

by Anonymousreply 10311/03/2014

I haven't worn any undershirts/t-shirts under my dress shirts in decades. I feel too stuffy and restricted with too many layers of clothing on. I hate how my dress shirts would keep getting all static-clingy to my t-shirts.

by Anonymousreply 10411/03/2014

never, I only where an "undershirt" to bed.

by Anonymousreply 10511/03/2014

I wear Under Armour v neck compression shirts. Very thin and absorptive.

by Anonymousreply 10611/03/2014

I only started wearing undershirts when I moved to the east coast from California.

It was a trick someone taught me in the ridiculous heat and humidity which I had never experienced for extended periods of time other than vacations when suits and ties were not worn.

Undershirts absorb sweat and keep you cooler (which seemed so illogical to me initially that wearing more clothing would be cooler).

It also reduces under arm discoloration from antiperspirants on expensive shirts.

Finally, even on expensive white shirts, there is always some see-through nipple which undershirts prevent, providing a smooth and uniform appearance to the shirt.

by Anonymousreply 10711/03/2014

What I don't understand are the teen/twenty-something boys who wear wife-beaters UNDER their t-shirts. (But then, I work in Brooklyn and half the guys wear their jeans so low they're asses are hanging out, so what do I know)

by Anonymousreply 10811/03/2014

According to Esquire and GQ, men should NOT wear a T-shirt under a dress shirt.

Of course they also say a dress shirt should last between four and six months and to replace your razor blade with a new one for every shave.

by Anonymousreply 10911/04/2014

[quote]What kind of cheap POS shirts do you wear, [R65], that someone can see your mipples through them?

That cak, WHET and pron have all become DL "things" yet "mipples" went nowhere will always mystify me.

by Anonymousreply 11011/04/2014

Hell, no.

by Anonymousreply 11111/04/2014

I had a boss once who was a great guy. He did, however, have pit-stains on his white dress shirts that were extremely obvious, though not to him, apparently. Yuck!

I recently discovered a stack of black T-shirts that I had ignored for quite a while. When they were last washed, they appeared to be clean, but after some many months, residual anti-perperant crystallized in the pit area. So I learned that my washer doesn't get my clothes as clean as I previously thought.

by Anonymousreply 11211/04/2014

[quote]Depends.

That's what [italic]I[/italic] wear underneath [italic]my[/italic] clothes, too!

by Anonymousreply 11311/04/2014

[quote] Finally, even on expensive white shirts, there is always some see-through nipple which undershirts prevent, providing a smooth and uniform appear.

I second what R197 said. A T-shirt does provide a smooth and uniform appearance. It is almost as if a T-shirt actually makes you look more defined, at least, for a young fella. Pudgy old guys just look pudgier with a T-shirt.

by Anonymousreply 11411/04/2014

I do not wear an undershirt underneath a dress shirt unless its winter. I let my chest hair billow out of it. I'm cooler and more comfortable that way. Fuck off it my chest hair bothers you.

by Anonymousreply 11511/04/2014
Need more help? Click Here.