Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

BREAKING: CBS to bring Lucille Ball back to primetime Dec. 20

Denture creme manufacturers and casketmakers rush to snatch up commercial airtime.

by Anonymousreply 8410/28/2013

Cue the purists whining about coloration..

by Anonymousreply 110/23/2013

That "lost" Christmas episode is just a clip show though, that's why it wasn't included in the syndication. They're also showing the grape stomping episode, colorized. Are they releasing the entire series colorized, or have they already?

by Anonymousreply 210/23/2013

Damn straight r1, some things need to left alone.

And for some reason, this reeks of desperation on the part of CBS.

by Anonymousreply 310/23/2013

They are airing this in the dead of the TV winter lull period, on a Friday night. I doubt that this is being "desperate" on their part. More like filling space.

by Anonymousreply 410/23/2013

Colorized or not, I'd rather watch ancient I Love Lucy episodes than anything currently on CBS, so I'll be watching along with millions of decrepit seniors across the country.

by Anonymousreply 510/23/2013

Will there be a crossover episode with The Walking Dead?

by Anonymousreply 610/23/2013

No they wouldn't R8. Most people don't give a flying fuck about soap opearas. Everyone knows I Love Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 810/23/2013

Lost episodes were lost to begin with because they sucked.

by Anonymousreply 910/23/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1010/23/2013

[quote]Everyone knows I Love Lucy.

Everyone over 40, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 1110/23/2013

"Gilligan's Island" had a Christmas episode, too. When are they going to air that?

by Anonymousreply 1310/23/2013

It's hard for the networks to find decent material these days.

by Anonymousreply 1410/23/2013

Plus r11, the technology keeps improving and modern coloration looks perfectly fine to all but the purists.

by Anonymousreply 1610/23/2013

"If a younger person is flipping channels (those that are still watching tv on actual televisions and not on the Internet)"

Hee! This is a myth - almost everyone still watches tv the "old-fashioned way" and studies prove it. The number of people (young or old) who only watch tv on the internet is quite small.

by Anonymousreply 1710/23/2013

Yeah, because the under 45 demo stays in on a Friday night to watch CBS, the official network of senior homes all over the country.

by Anonymousreply 1810/23/2013

Was the Christmas episode a clip show? I have seen it but can't recall. I know it ends with everyone dressed up like Santa. I think this is tremendous that CBS is putting I Love Lucy on the air in prime time. That show is timeless. People laugh just as hard as Lucy's antics as they did 60 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1910/23/2013

R14 MeTV is showing two Gilligan episodes now. Based on where they are in the order, the Christmas episode should show up around the second or third week of November.

by Anonymousreply 2010/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 2110/23/2013

Dentures and caskets? I'm 27 and I LOVE I Love Lucy. Hate the colorization thing though.

by Anonymousreply 2210/23/2013

I disagree, R12. I think there are certain TV series that have become such a mainstay of American culture -- mostly because they've never gone out of syndication -- that just about anyone of any age knows them and I'd venture to say "I Love Lucy" is one of those shows. ("Seinfeld" would be another one.)

I'm 48 and "Lucy" was well over 20 years old by the time I started watching it, so I can't imagine why kids wouldn't watch it today, even if it is now over 60. Granted, it has a lot more competition for their attention these days that it didn't have when I first discovered it back in the 1970s, but I do think enough of them have at least heard of it and know what it is.

by Anonymousreply 2310/23/2013

They need to bring her back to network primetime permanently.

by Anonymousreply 2410/23/2013

I'm also 27 years old, and I love "Lucy". I always have; I watched it when I was small like the other kids watched Barney. I HATE that I can only find Lucy on television at 4am anymore. I wish it was on sometime during 7-11p.

I don't watch anything on the internet unless I am forced to do so.

by Anonymousreply 2510/23/2013

R19, it's not a myth. Where did you even HEAR that?

by Anonymousreply 2610/23/2013

[quote]I know it ends with everyone dressed up like Santa.

That's so Little Ricky can't tell which one molested him.

by Anonymousreply 2810/23/2013

I'm usually a purist, but the colorization on the Christmas ep is very well done. It's not like the early, smeary attempts with stars like Frank Sinatra(Ol' Blue Eyes)being given brown eyes.

by Anonymousreply 2910/23/2013

With this brilliant move CBS, which Lucy helped put on the map btw, is honoring her and introducing her timeless comedy to a brand new generation of viewers. I hope that they continue to broadcast other colorized I LOVE LUCY episodes in primetime specials and, please God, broadcast MAME around the holidays so that all can finally truly appreciate the triumph that it was.

by Anonymousreply 3010/23/2013

The age phobic queens that post in these threads are all over fifty year old club queens who think because they pick up twenty five year old twinks on a regular basis, are on the cutting edge of everything. You can practically visualize the orange tans and smell the old spice.

The internet. People are watching shit on their phones, gramps. Get with it.

by Anonymousreply 3110/23/2013

R29, yeah, I kinda do (and I am not that poster). People don't change that much. Technology is advanced, yes, but young minds still crave entertainment, talent, "connection." They love to LAUGH as much as they did in 1982, that's for sure. I Love Lucy is classic comedy. We don't advance as a culture if we pander to the lowest common denominator. It is NOT a better thing that young minds are so A.D.D. now with hundreds of channels and internet viewing and a bunch of unnecessary devices to watch all that banality with.

by Anonymousreply 3210/23/2013

R33, you don't sound like a very nice person.

by Anonymousreply 3310/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 3410/23/2013

[quote]Hee! This is a myth - almost everyone still watches tv the "old-fashioned way" and studies prove it. The number of people (young or old) who only watch tv on the internet is quite small.

Please, link to a single "study" that proves this.

[quote]You were a teen/young adult in the pre-Internet, pre-gaming, pre-500 cable channels, pre-cell-phone, pre-social media world. Do you honestly think young people today are the same as they were in 1982?

[quote]One thing I've noticed about DL is how out-of-touch so many people are here. It's like they don't know anyone young and just don't live in contemporary times.

Very true.

by Anonymousreply 3510/23/2013

[quote]You were a teen/young adult in the pre-Internet, pre-gaming, pre-500 cable channels, pre-cell-phone, pre-social media world. Do you honestly think young people today are the same as they were in 1982?

This is truly one of the most idiotic statements ever posted in the history of the Internet, let alone DL. Yes, R29, unless young people can now teleport from one place to another and no longer need to eat food to survive, I'd say yes, they're exactly the same now as they were in 1982. Just because we have a lot more gadgets to watch media on now than we did 30-plus years ago doesn't mean a young person would never watch a show with "old people" on it or just because the movie or tv show is in B&W. Even if it is 62 years old, "I Love Lucy" is still a TV show just like "Breaking Bad" is a TV show, meaning either or both can be viewed on the tee-vee, the Internet, your phone, or anywhere else. And who are you to say no young person anywhere would never want to watch old TV shows? Seriously, are you that fucking stupid? It was widely reported that a big reason "The Golden Girls" proved so popular in syndication was because YOUNG PEOPLE caught on to it and became devoted viewers, and it was also young people who drove the social media campaign to get Betty White to host SNL. Yes, young people!

For someone who prides himself on living in contemporary times, R29, you are seriously out of touch with what's going on in the world. I suggest you go back and read R24 and R27 for people who are truly hip and with it.

by Anonymousreply 3610/23/2013

[quote]One thing I've noticed about DL is how out-of-touch so many people are here. It's like they don't know anyone young and just don't live in contemporary times.

And you should remember that many older posters may notice the same thing about you.

by Anonymousreply 3710/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 3810/23/2013

R38, I don't think you get it.

You can now basically watch whatever you want, when and wherever you want.

The idea that kids are going to huddle around the television set Dec. 20 to watch a sitcom from the 1950s is absurd.

by Anonymousreply 3910/23/2013

[quote]They have the attention span of gnats and cannot watch antyhing that's more than 15 years old now because it's "old shit." You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

Really? Could you please tell us the source of the research you have done on ALL YOUNG people to come up with such a whopping generalization? Have you interviewed all the young people of the world? That is very impressive! Unfortunately, I will have to put a fly in your statistical findings. I know hundreds, if not thousands, of young people, college students actually (being a college professor and all), who adore classic films, classic radio (yep, they are interested in Orson Welles broadcast of War of the Worlds right now since it is Halloween time), and "old" entertainment stars, including vaudeville! Imagine that! Some young people have intelligence and curiosity and cultural interests. Wow. What IS the world coming to?

by Anonymousreply 4010/23/2013

I'm 26, everyone I know has heard of I Love Lucy. Most of have seen an episode.

And people still have TVs, most people I know had a TV in the dorm in college. The difference is how they are using those TVs. Rather than cable they are hooking up their computers and harddrives to the TV to stream content or watch downloaded content. Or using a Roku/apple tv/chromecast to watch content.

It isn't getting rid of TV, it is getting rid of cable subscription. This is obviously anecdoctal, but definitely a minority of people I know my age actually subscribe to cable, but pretty much everyone has a Netflix subscription.

by Anonymousreply 4110/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 4210/23/2013

Think of all this portends! With CGI technology, they will now be able to show Desi being blown by Joi Lansing in the Florida shipwrecked episode.

by Anonymousreply 4310/23/2013

People under 25 need to get it through their goddamn heads that the rest of us DO NOT CARE WHAT THE FUCK KIDS LIKE AND/OR DO. Don't care. The world does not exist to cater to your whims.

And you're not special or cool, either, just because you have a fucking smart phone and a laptop.

by Anonymousreply 4410/23/2013

Zombie Lucy initially agreed to do it, but zombie Gary Morton wisely talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 4510/23/2013

R46, so which are you -- a 27 year old or a cranky elder gay?

I'm assuming you're so drunk you've lost track.

by Anonymousreply 4610/24/2013

If CBS really wanted to get some ratings, they'd show the one with Ethel's "procedure" - we talked about it a couple of years ago:

[quote]In "Ethel's Big Secret" (1953), Lucy promises to take Ethel for a "procedure" (that was the word they had to use) without realizing it's her turn to host the Wednesday Afternoon Fine Arts League. Since she's about to be running against Caroline Appleby for league president, Lucy can't miss the meeting, but Ethel, who's now home in bed with a hot water bottle, keeps ringing Lucy with ever-more outrageous demands.

[quote]On the DVD set of "The Lucy/Desi Comedy Hour," there's a 1959 episode in Connecticut with guest star Thelma Ritter as Betty Ramsey's groundskeeper. Ethel doesn't want Lucy to know she's having yet ANOTHER abortion, so she arranges for Betty Ramsey and the groundskeeper to take her to the doctor... but Ricky overhears their conversation and comes to the conclusion Ethel is dying and can't bear to tell Lucy. Meanwhile, Fred gets a goat so he doesn't have to cut the grass any more, but Little Ricky sneaks the goat into the house.

by Anonymousreply 4710/24/2013

Can we FINALLY have the director's cut of STONE PILLOW on DVD?

by Anonymousreply 4810/24/2013

R46 has more issues than a subscription.

by Anonymousreply 4910/24/2013

[quote]Why don't CBS air some classic Young and the Restless episodes in primetime? Audiences would flock to it.

Delusional queen.

by Anonymousreply 5010/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 5110/24/2013

r45, I'd rather see the episode where Desi is getting blown by Caesar Romero on the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour.

by Anonymousreply 5210/24/2013

There was a nice special by Lucie Arnaz a few years ago where they lightly colorized the performers but left the backgrounds in black-and-white. Pretty nice job, too.

That special also had color home movies, including a bittersweet one of Lucy and Desi in the pool with their grandkids; I think it was the last footage of Desi ever taken.

by Anonymousreply 5310/24/2013

[quote]Will they CGI out all the smoking?

Does Lucy smoke on the show? For real?

by Anonymousreply 5410/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 5510/25/2013

No one under the age of 50 is going to watch this.

by Anonymousreply 5610/26/2013

[quote] Younger people are not going to watch anything in black and white, so they had to colorize it if they wanted ratings.

No, they had to colorize it simply based upon the fact that they can charge more for advertising $$$$ for programs or movies in color than they can for B&W.

by Anonymousreply 5710/26/2013

I'm OVER 50 and I won/t be watching. Never liked Lucille Ball and never will.

by Anonymousreply 5810/26/2013

[quote]No one under the age of 50 is going to watch this.

I disagree.

by Anonymousreply 5910/27/2013

after watching the colorized clip, it makes a person appreciate the beauty of black and white.

by Anonymousreply 6010/27/2013

r13 is a complete numbskull, isn't she?

by Anonymousreply 6110/27/2013

R8/R13 I *am* a soap fan, but bitch, you are CRAZY if you think anyone would "flock" to anything from daytime at night.

by Anonymousreply 6210/27/2013

Serious question about the Lucy/Desi cigarette ad at r57:

Is there really such a thing as a next-day cigarette hangover? I know that if a non-smoker smokes a cigarette, it can make them feel sort of queasy. But first of all, I wouldn't think these people would be a big demographic in the '50s; I would assume most people were used to smoking, and the people who weren't were smoking teetotalers who would never touch a cigarette and weren't likely to be swayed by an ad promising "no cigarette hangover".

Second of all, does even a non-smoker who smokes a cigarette and feels a little queasy still feel some sort of hangover from it the next day? I've never heard of this happening.

by Anonymousreply 6310/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 6410/27/2013

Thanks, r66, I forgot about the differences between the cigarettes of the '50s and today - that makes more sense.

by Anonymousreply 6510/27/2013

While it may not have been so unusual to see a male character smoking on a sit-com, it was next to impossible to see a female doing it. I can't think of another woman who was seen smoking on 1950s TV (except in commercials).

Lucy was very bold to smoke as Lucy Ricardo.

by Anonymousreply 6610/27/2013

Why was that, r68? Was there some idea that smoking was still associated with "bad" women like Bette Davis, and that "nice", homey women like they were depicting on sitcoms didn't smoke?

by Anonymousreply 6710/27/2013

Yes, I think that's the reason r69.

It might still be considered rather unladylike. That's why the public never saw First Ladies like Mamie, Jackie and Pat smoke in public.

Well, I guess it's still true about First Ladies.

by Anonymousreply 6810/27/2013

My mother (a smoker) told me as a child (sometime in the 70s) that "nice women" never smoked on the street or outside the home until the 1960s.

Smoking for women was a private activity, most often shared with one's husband or with other women. It was "provocative" to smoke in front of strange men.

by Anonymousreply 6910/27/2013

Yeah through much of the early part of the 20th century smoking was considered unladylike.

I don't know if they would remove the smoking, it is obviously a "period piece" so I don't think they would take much blow back from the fact the characters smoke.

And I love that surprises some people, smoking was EVERYWHERE in society at one point. I guess given the culture we live in now people forget that.

by Anonymousreply 7010/27/2013

IIRC Dick Van Dyke and Buddy Ebsen both smoked cigarettes in commercials for their respective sit-coms the Dick Van Dyke Show and The Beverly Hillbillies, at least in the early years of those series, which both had cigarette sponsors.

Those spots were only seen adjacent to the broadcast and not on at any other time of the day. Again....IIRC!

by Anonymousreply 7110/27/2013

This is the same network that is re-doing Charmed.

by Anonymousreply 7210/27/2013

[quote]Lucy was very bold to smoke as Lucy Ricardo.

Did she smoke on the show? I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 7310/27/2013

What does CBS have to lose with one hour of tv on a Friday night in December? They may get lucky. Their is a ton of money in perennial Christmas media. Ask Burl Ives or Bing Crosby. A christmas album, or tv special is every actors dream. it just sells again, and again every year. I just checked Wikipedia and it says that CBS owns all the rights to the Lucy shows because they bought Desilu At worst its a lost hour in December, at best its the next Rudolph

by Anonymousreply 7410/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 7510/27/2013

Hell, she even smoked when she was "en ciente" with Little Ricky!

by Anonymousreply 7610/27/2013

You just know that Lucie Arnaz had something to do with this. She has been cashing in on her mother ever since she died.

by Anonymousreply 7710/27/2013

"You've got some douchin' to do! And now you can do it with the official 'I Love Lucy' Douche! Fully authorized by the Ball-Arnaz Estate, this douche will have you laughing for hours! For extra hilarity, it doubles as a water pistol; watch out, Russian spy neighbors!"

by Anonymousreply 7810/27/2013

r38 The reason they clamored for her to be on SNL? They figured she was good for a broken hip.

by Anonymousreply 7910/28/2013

Back in the 50s, women who smoked were considered "hard." Lucy helped to break that stereotype.

But now - for about the last fifteen years- both men and women who smoke are considered hard.

by Anonymousreply 8010/28/2013

[quote]The number of people (young or old) who only watch tv on the internet is quite small.

I am 50, watch TV only on the Internet, have not had a landline phone since 2002, never did enjoy Lucille Ball's annoying slapstick comedy, and laugh my ass off at DL's misguided age-based stereotypes about who does and thinks and likes what.

by Anonymousreply 8110/28/2013

Tallulah Bankhead smoked on the Lucy/Desi Comedy Hour and, of course, Lucy's putty nose caught on fire from her lit cigarette in the William Holden/Hollywood episode.

by Anonymousreply 8210/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!