Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

PREMIERE: Lady Gaga - Do What U Want ft. R. Kelly

Much better than Applause.

by Anonymousreply 14401/03/2014

HOT beat. The song is already #1 on itunes. Gaga's flop is over, H8ers!

by Anonymousreply 110/21/2013

I admit to...awesome song...R. Kelly amazing too

by Anonymousreply 210/21/2013

Ugh, a musical abortion much like the rest of her album. The beat is terrible, lacklustre and bland. It's techno for suburbia. The tone of her voice is so unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 310/21/2013

I like it

by Anonymousreply 410/21/2013

Errr, RnB*.

by Anonymousreply 510/21/2013

R3 decided they hated it before they even listened to it and is probably post menopause.

by Anonymousreply 610/21/2013

Sorry but this sounds like something Christina Aguilera would do.

by Anonymousreply 710/21/2013

It sounds better than any recent Xtina attempt. Gaga is BACK, bitches and you all will deal.

by Anonymousreply 810/21/2013

Ooooh, 8 posts in 5 hours. She is most definitely back. Not.

by Anonymousreply 910/21/2013

Did he pee on her, too?

by Anonymousreply 1010/21/2013

Applause was in the top 10 on itunes for about 2 months nd peaked at #4 on bilboard

by Anonymousreply 1110/21/2013

Gaga shot up to #1 quickly with this song, BEATING OUT both Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift who also dropped new singles today.

Gaga is da QUEEN of Pop!

by Anonymousreply 1210/21/2013

#1 where?

by Anonymousreply 1310/21/2013

R13 on itunes bitch:

by Anonymousreply 1410/21/2013

It's OK...nothing special.

by Anonymousreply 1510/21/2013

Trust me, I'm not one of those "Think about the children" kinds of people, but singing a song (especially with R. Kelly of all people)telling someone to "Do what you want with my body" is a little creepy.

Especially when his part is "I'll do what I want with your body" and not also "Do what you want with my body."

Kind of messes up the whole GaGa empowerment message.

by Anonymousreply 1610/21/2013

This is being released just a promotional single, not an official single.

Anyway, Gaga's message is clear for those who aren't stupid-do what you want with her body but her mind and heart are her own.

by Anonymousreply 1710/21/2013

#1 all over the world now. Beat Bieber, Perry, Eminem, all of them, and it's only a promo single. The official second single comes out this week. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 1810/21/2013

ONTD's feminists are upset over this song's message. lmao.

by Anonymousreply 1910/21/2013

That album cover gave me herpes in my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 2010/21/2013

Awful & like Xtina Aguilara.

by Anonymousreply 2110/21/2013

More pandering to her gay fan base in that "presenting" album cover.

Yeah, she sounds like Xtina on this track. Not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 2210/21/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2310/21/2013

Vadge, Shitney and Perry stans are PRESSED and BOTHERED that Queen Lady Gaga is ruling pop once again.

by Anonymousreply 2410/21/2013

[quote]More pandering to her gay fan base in that "presenting" album cover.

I don't think gay men are going to be into a woman's ass.

by Anonymousreply 2510/21/2013

"Applause" has started to grow on me. I thought it was a monotonous single at first, then I found myself humming it a lot.

Anyone think this all sounds like the ultimate Madonna album- if she were still a relevant artist? And could sing?

by Anonymousreply 2610/21/2013

I love "Applause." I can't believe anyone doesn't like it. The bassline is awesome.

by Anonymousreply 2710/21/2013

This song is all that. Perry, Spears, etc. could neva in a million years. They don't have Gaga's swag. She scored with this one here. Love it!

by Anonymousreply 2810/21/2013

Aura is a great song, but they did a butcher job on it and wasted it on "Machete Kills".

by Anonymousreply 2910/21/2013

You guys sure its not xtina singing?

by Anonymousreply 3010/21/2013

"Anyone think this all sounds like the ultimate Madonna album- if she were still a relevant artist?"

Irrelevant artists don't have top-grossing tours. They play state fairs. Poor Gaga had to fake an injury to cancel her tour, even though it was really due to poor ticket sales.

by Anonymousreply 3110/21/2013

You wish, R31. Gaga was out of commision for months because of her hip. Gaga's music makes Madonna's last few albums pale by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 3210/21/2013

[quote]Anyone think this all sounds like the ultimate Madonna album

Not really. SEX DREAMS and DO WHAT U WANT are more Janet than Madonna, particularly SEX DREAMS, which is very lyrically similar to Janet's IF.

by Anonymousreply 3310/21/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 3410/21/2013

[quote]I think she "shoots to #1" because she's basically the only singer who begs her fans to rush out and buy her stuff multiple times.

That didn't work for Applause.

by Anonymousreply 3510/21/2013

[quote]Sorry but the song sounds like something late 90s.

Which is a good thing, and a big part of its appeal.

by Anonymousreply 3610/21/2013

R34 oh no. It's the methed out Shitney Twink Stans who purchase as many copies of every single and album, not the Monsters.

by Anonymousreply 3710/21/2013

[quote]Irrelevant artists don't have top-grossing tours.

Madonna is a nostalgia act. She's no longer an artist. She's irrelevant musically. She'll have to sing "Like A Virgin" til the day she dies to make money, so Madonna is irrelevant in the worst way. I wish Madonna would make great albums again, but she hasn't done that since the 90s, and it doesn't seem like she'll make another great one in the near future.

by Anonymousreply 3810/21/2013

[quote]I think she "shoots to #1" because she's basically the only singer who begs her fans to rush out and buy her stuff multiple times.

Nope. This song came out of the blue. It was merely a promotional single. She didn't push this song like she did "Applause". Mariah invented the "begging fans to buy multiples of her shit to get a #1," even giving them coupons, and selling her singles for .49. Britney Spears' fans are the ones who buy up to 20 copies, and invented the whole "gifting" to anyone who wants or doesn't want the song concept.

"Applause" was really the only song Gaga did that with, and it stuck at #6 for two months. It was still that number a week ago.

by Anonymousreply 3910/21/2013

Who buys music at Itunes? Who buys music at all?

by Anonymousreply 4010/21/2013

I don't care about charts or sales at all. It's about the art.

by Anonymousreply 4110/21/2013

Wasn't it GaGa that had a 99cent promotion on one of her CDs a couple years ago on Amazon?

And what about that disastrous tour that tanked last year?

Doesn't sound to me that she has much going for her anymore.

by Anonymousreply 4210/21/2013

One thing you can say about gaga and that is that she is one sexy beast!

Now, shut up and pass the lasagne.

by Anonymousreply 4310/21/2013

Her fans have resorted to offering free blowjobs on Craigslist with proof of purchase of her music. I wish I was joking.

by Anonymousreply 4410/21/2013

She has to spray PAM on those chaffing thighs every night.

by Anonymousreply 4510/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 4610/21/2013

Bad Romance was her pop culture peak.

by Anonymousreply 4710/21/2013

More Gagarbage.

by Anonymousreply 4810/22/2013

No one can even DANCE to that mess, OP! It is so endlessly redundant in a slow 4/4 time.

by Anonymousreply 4910/22/2013

Gaga, you in trouble, gurrrl!

by Anonymousreply 5010/22/2013

[quote]Her fans have resorted to offering free blowjobs on Craigslist with proof of purchase of her music. I wish I was joking.

It was a hoax, hon.

by Anonymousreply 5110/22/2013

[quote]Wasn't it GaGa that had a 99cent promotion on one of her CDs a couple years ago on Amazon?

That was done by Amazon, not Gaga, and yes, it was a .99 deal, however, taking those sales out, the album still sold truckloads.

[quote]And what about that disastrous tour that tanked last year?

It didn't tank. It was a tour that went on for years. The 'tanking' meme was started by old, bitter Madonna fans. Granted, Gaga is not Madonna in the touring arena. No one is. Madonna is a nostalgia act. The people who see her are old and have money. Gaga has the youth generation who aren't going to pay $500 a ticket to see her.

by Anonymousreply 5210/22/2013

R52, you really overshot it with your lies this time.

"That was done by Amazon, not Gaga, and yes, it was a .99 deal, however, taking those sales out, the album still sold truckloads."

We are so fucking tired of your lies and unsupported statements. Why do you feel it is necessary to come here and lie?

by Anonymousreply 5310/22/2013

If I didn't know she was so famous and successful, I'd never guess it from this filler track. She's a competent singer, but many other R&B divas could handle the song as well, they just don't have her hype. And the song itself is repetitive and ultimately quite bland.

by Anonymousreply 5410/22/2013

r53 is neither asking nor stating anything, just throwing shit at the wall.

"Born This Way" sold well over 8 million copies worldwide. The Amazon .99 deal was for one week only.

Someone has shit for brains.

And who is "we" ... oh, angry, fat, demented Madonna fans.

by Anonymousreply 5510/22/2013

Gee R57, it sure sounds like YOU are the one trolling. Why so angry?

by Anonymousreply 5810/22/2013

It looks like R56 that bots are the reflections of who they are botting for: Janet's turn of events since the wardrobe malfunction has indeed been epic, Britney is a weirdo who cannot be asked an unauthorized question and Madonna is, well, plain pathetic now.

I'll give it to the Janbot: he's so unhinged that he single-handedly and utterly derailed the other Gaga thread du jour.

by Anonymousreply 5910/22/2013

"Redundant" is a problem big word for you?

I'm sorry. I'll try to keep my vocabularly under 3 syllables so that you can understand me.

by Anonymousreply 6010/22/2013

Go AWAY Vadgestanbot! Your old bitch is OVER. Don't hate on Gaga just because she's better than Vadge in every way.

by Anonymousreply 6110/22/2013

Shorter, fatter, uglier with a mutt face. Yeah, she supercedes Madonna in so many unique ways!

by Anonymousreply 6210/22/2013

R61, we think it'a adorable when you shake your tiny fists like that and capitalize words like AWAY and OVER! We want to scoop you up and nail you to a tree.

by Anonymousreply 6310/22/2013

Cannot wait for Gaga's performance on the UK X Factor results show on Sunday.

Also interested to see if there will be any fire works between Gaga and Sharon Osbourne after Osbourne wrongly accused Gaga of bullying her daughter Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 6410/22/2013

Cannot wait for Gaga's performance on the UK X Factor results show on Sunday.

Also interested to see if there will be any fire works between Gaga and Sharon Osbourne after Osbourne wrongly accused Gaga of bullying her daughter Kelly.

OMG R64! I feel exactly the SAME WAY! Our Lady's performance on X Factor wil be...FABU!

And just like you, I too, will be "interested" in ANY CRAZY fireworks between our Lord GaGa and that mean old bully, Sharon Osbourne!

Hey! Why don't you come over tonight and we can play with each other's Barbie dolls! Wouldn't that be d'lish?!

See you soon, gurrrl! Don't ever get your panties in a wad (LOLOLOL!).

by Anonymousreply 6510/22/2013

Sharon Osbourn is a raving lunatic as anyone who has seen her on the x factor will agree. She supported Miley Cyrus performance saying "what's the problem it's not like she was performing at a funeral" but called a female dancer on the x factor a paedo just for receiving a kiss on the cheek from a young male contestant, and it was obviously choreographed into his performance. Then when she was kissing and begging Walsh on the x factor to save her contestant I thought I was going to be sick. Watching two OAP's having a snog fest Yuck! I watched the show at home with a friend and my friend commented that she reminder her of an OAP begging not to be put in a home for the elderly

by Anonymousreply 6610/22/2013

R66, did they ever tell you in grammar school the wonderful use of paragraphs?

How can you come here and make such a fool of yourself?

by Anonymousreply 6710/22/2013

R67 same reason as you I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 6810/22/2013

madbot (r40, r42, r45, r46, r49, r50, r53, r58, r60, r62, r63, r65, r67), is having a nervous breakdown. Maybe she's being "ironic" or "redundant."

by Anonymousreply 6910/22/2013

R69, when you figure out what ironic and redundant means, come back here and tell us about it.

We've seen your sentence structure, syntax, elementary vocabulary. We know that you are either very, very young and still learning or a washed-up old Queen struggling in her imaginary world.

You see, R69, we can hear your high pitched voice and see your floppy, tiny fists with the words you choose to express yourself. There is no shame in it, no shame at all in being what you are---but we see it and understand it.

We understand ALL of that as well as your mental illness. One day, some day, we will read about you in the newspapers and hear about you on the 6 o'clock news. You know that day is coming as well we know it.

by Anonymousreply 7010/22/2013

R53 only 400k of the 1.108 million that "born this way" sold the first week was through the amazon deal

She stil had more legit 1st week sales than her fellow popstars have had in a longlong time!

by Anonymousreply 7110/22/2013

"Do What U Want" Hits #1 in 65 Countries!

Lady Gaga Fends Off Competition From Justin Bieber And Taylor Swift To Top US & UK iTunes Chart

Lady Gaga has proved she is still an undeniable pop force not to reckoned with today as her new single 'Do What U Want' featuring RnB royalty, R Kelly has shot straight to the top of the US, UK and 63 other iTunes charts just hours after it's release.

The track, which serves as the second cut to be lifted from her forthcoming studio album ARTPOP looks certain to be a sure fire hit for the eccentric superstar, shutting down recent negative comments from critics who blasted the singer's new material.

#1 United States

#1 United Kingdom

#1 Argentina

#1 Armenia

#1 Austria

#1 Azerbaijan

#1 Belgium

#1 Belize

#1 Bermuda

#1 Brazil

#1 Bulgaria

#1 Cambodia

#1 Canada

#1 Chile

#1 Colombia

#1 Costa Rica

#1 Czech Republic

#1 Dominican Republic

#1 Ecuador

#1 El Salvador

#1 Estonia

#1 Finland

#1 France

#1 Greece

#1 Guatemala

#1 Honduras

#1 Hong Kong

#1 Hungary

#1 Ireland

#1 Israel

#1 Italy

#1 Japan

#1 Kazakhstan

#1 Latvia

#1 Lithuania

#1 Luxembourg

#1 Macau

#1 Malaysia

#1 Malta

#1 Mexico

#1 Mongolia

#1 New Zealand

#1 Nicaragua

#1 Netherland

#1 Paraguay

#1 Peru

#1 Philippines

#1 Poland

#1 Portugal

#1 Romania

#1 Russia

#1 Saint Kitts and Nevis

#1 Singapore

#1 Slovakia

#1 South Africa

#1 Spain

#1 Switzerland

#1 Taiwan

#1 Thailand

#1 Trinidad and Tobago

#1 Turkey

#1 Ukraine

#1 Venezuela

#1 Vietnam

The 'Poker face' chart-topper is currently fending off stiff competition from Justin Bieber who released his latest track 'Hold Tight' as part of his current '#MusicMondays' campaign, which currently trails Mother Monster at number two.

Country superstar Taylor Swift also released her new track, 'Better Than Fiction' taken from the soundtrack for the upcoming Paul Potts biopic 'One Chance' which has soared up to number five on the tally since it's release this morning.

Current champion of the Billboard charts, 16-year-old Lorde is staying strong at number three with Katy Perry's summer anthem 'Roar' holding firm at number four.

Lady Gaga will be making a welcome return to the UK this weekend as she appears on The X Factor to give an exclusive performance of her upcoming single 'Venus' in front of her latest rival Sharon Osbounre who recently blasted the singer for being a “self-righteous bully”. Awkward!

by Anonymousreply 7210/22/2013

She's smart. She knew R. Kelly's contribution would make the track golden.

by Anonymousreply 7310/22/2013

R72, that's impossible. DL has declared her over based on nothing. How dare she defy us and be successful.

by Anonymousreply 7410/22/2013

Why do people go on and on about the stupid iTunes charts? Nobody gives a shit about them. Only OFFICIAL charts matter.

by Anonymousreply 7510/22/2013

I can't stand Gaga,Britney, Madonna, Katy, Janet,Rhianna etc..etc.. I just like coming here and irritating the Caca troll[R72]

by Anonymousreply 7610/22/2013

I have a feeling the Caca troll does his hair like Christian Siriano.

by Anonymousreply 7710/22/2013

Love it, R56! You are equally epic, my darling. And thank you for calling out that pathetic loser HAGdonnabot stan. That thing was making an utter fool of himself over in the other Gaga thread too. I'll bet that pic is exactly what he looks like too!

by Anonymousreply 7810/22/2013

r8, this isn't the Pulse music board bitch.

by Anonymousreply 7910/22/2013

Because of the overwhelming success on iTunes (#1 all over the world) and great reviews, 'Do What U Want' is now the official second single from ARTPOP.

From Wikipedia:

"Following the release of the track, "Do What U Want" climbed to the top of iTunes' current best selling songs list, fending off new songs from fellow pop singers Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift. In the US, the song took only 5 hours to reach #1 on iTunes. An official audio released to the singer's Vevo account racked up three times as many views as Bieber within a few hours of its release."

by Anonymousreply 8010/22/2013

I'm kind of disappointed about that. I was looking forward to Venus, guess I'll have to wait a bit longer. I'm not a big fan of Do What You Want, personally.

by Anonymousreply 8110/22/2013

I love it. It's a refreshing change of pace from the EDM saturating the airwaves these days.

by Anonymousreply 8210/22/2013

#1 on iTunes in 86 countries.

by Anonymousreply 8310/23/2013

[quote]Why do people go on and on about the stupid iTunes charts? Nobody gives a shit about them.

Yes they do, elderly one.

by Anonymousreply 8410/23/2013

She's saying that "Venus" will still be released this week (perhaps the music video) despite her label's second single decision now. I wonder if she's going to rush a video for this. in the US will be sending out limited edition hot pink silver foil copies of "Artpop" to everyone who pre-orders before Nov. 10. Jeff Koons is behind this. It's how he imagines the cover to look. I guess he took it a step further.

by Anonymousreply 8510/23/2013

[R84]No they don't you quivering quim.

by Anonymousreply 8610/23/2013

r86, itunes charts are a major indication as to the success of singles and albums. So is spotify. So is YouTube. So is VEVO. Welcome to 2013.

Anyway, I've been obsessed with this song since Monday. Gaga needs to reclaim the mainstream. She's gotten way to niche with the gays and her weird, creepy Monsters and this song is a perfect way to do it.

I haven't enjoyed a Gaga song this much since Bad Romance.

by Anonymousreply 8710/23/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 8810/23/2013

R84= quivering cum bucket

by Anonymousreply 8910/23/2013

"Lady Gaga premiered her R. Kelly duet, “Do What U Want,” and it turns out the buzz single is just as bodacious as the booty on the cover. Built on a gummy synth line and pristine drum machines snaps, the arrangement is like a more muscular take on Drake‘s “Hold On, We’re Going Home,” with Gaga at her sexiest and throwing some serious stank into her delivery throughout. Kells turns out the second verse about escaping the fame with the Marilyn to his president, before unleashing what is probably the most triumphant “fuuuuuck” ever sung. Then the pop vets join up on the second refrain, putting on a clinic in pop passion. All in all, it’s a pretty flawless piece of R&B.

It’s not all sultry flirts, though. The ARTPOP tracks sneaks in a message about not letting anything affect your mind/emotions, a sexed up “sticks and stones” lesson. It’s a clever trick, and yet without any high-art posing and cheeky provocation, “Do What U Want” is perhaps Gaga’s purest pop song."

by Anonymousreply 9010/23/2013

So 3 days later and it drops to #7 on itunes...

by Anonymousreply 9110/24/2013

Anyone see all those tweets Gaga wrote answering topics like "she got fat!" "Madonna hates Gaga" and "Katy Perry is better"?

Gaga's answers are amazing:

by Anonymousreply 9210/24/2013

Her next single "Venus" will be out at 12:01 AM EST. Just a little more than an hour!

by Anonymousreply 9310/27/2013

They're reporting that DO WHAT U WANT will likely bow high on the Hot 100 charts. I'm glad, because it's better than anything out by any of the other pop tarts at present, particularly the godawful "Roar" and that Miley track.

by Anonymousreply 9410/27/2013

R94 even though it was just a promotional single, I heard "Do What U Want" on the radio last week. It should chart in the top 15 at least.

by Anonymousreply 9510/27/2013

[quote]even though it was just a promotional single

Due to the success on iTunes, they made it an official single.

by Anonymousreply 9610/27/2013

Is this officially #1 then?

by Anonymousreply 9710/31/2013

200 hundred people complained about her performance on the British X Factor.

She appeared in nude underwear with small white shells covering her boobs. I think one fell off and she pulled the other off and tossed it to one side. She was surrounded by dancers. Then she climbed onto a piano and sprawled all over it.

Personally I thought it was tame by Gaga's standards, particularly as she allegedly performed in the total nude at GAY.

by Anonymousreply 9810/31/2013

Venus is one the worst songs I've ever heard! Bwhaaaaaaa

by Anonymousreply 9910/31/2013

I don't like it. Gaga should be glam and poppy. This is dreary.

When whitey-white artists try to woo the urban crowd they almost always fail.

by Anonymousreply 10010/31/2013

I have to say I love Lady Gaga.

And I am a HUGE HUGE HUGE Madonna fan.

But this latest single? R Kelly needs to lick her ass. STAT!

by Anonymousreply 10110/31/2013

Did he lick that 14 year old's?

by Anonymousreply 10210/31/2013

It's #13 on the Hot 100 and #3 on the Digital charts. The Monsters will likely get it to the top 5. It's a hot track, and a refreshing change of pace from the EDM-soaked airwaves.

by Anonymousreply 10310/31/2013

It's very generic but it's really fun to listen to. Good job, girl. It probably took her 5 minutes to write but it's really relistenable.

by Anonymousreply 10410/31/2013

I really enjoyed Gaga featuring Christina Aguilera on her performance last night on The Voice finale.

They actually sound good together. Gaga is a contralto and Christina is a soprano, but their middle range is quite similar.

by Anonymousreply 10512/18/2013

R105. Without all the synthesizer fluff, the song loses a lot. Also, Christina's voice is completely destroyed. Gaga's voice sounds more powerful and she sings the moderately high notes quite well, but Christina has to growl everything, forces her larynx down to sound bigger and then rasps the top hideously.

Instead of concentrating so much on losing weight, she should have gotten some intensive singing lessons. Her voice is a mess and she is in her early 30s. I don't want to imagine how she will sound when she is 40 (maybe like Whitney Houston in her final tour?).

Mediocre song and shit performance, in short.

by Anonymousreply 10612/18/2013

R106 she did better in other performances this season but I don't think this performance was bad at all.

Gaga carried her but that's to be expected.

by Anonymousreply 10712/18/2013

Gaga's a genius for including a rapist on a pro-rape song!

by Anonymousreply 10812/19/2013

R106 knows nothing about singing, or vocal technique. Trust me.

by Anonymousreply 10912/19/2013

Xtina did sound horrible though. I've heard her do better. I did love the performance in general. Camp and over the top.

by Anonymousreply 11012/19/2013

Gaga & Christina recorded an official studio version and released it today:

by Anonymousreply 11101/01/2014

Christina Aguilera is NOT a soprano. Are your ears malfunctioning?

by Anonymousreply 11201/01/2014

When is this damn video coming out????

by Anonymousreply 11301/01/2014

[quote]Gaga's a genius for including a rapist on a pro-rape song!

That's pretty much why I can't listen to this track.

by Anonymousreply 11401/01/2014

A pro-rape song? It's a metaphorical F-YOU to her detractors, not a rape song.

by Anonymousreply 11501/01/2014

Aguilera is indeed a soprano. I don't need to google it, but perhaps you do. Her voice has a smoky timbre, but her vocal range is that of a soprano, or a spinto soprano. And her voice is far from destroyed, but her terrible technique does her no favours.

by Anonymousreply 11601/01/2014

Vocal type isn't so much about range in notes but tessitura - where the voice most comfortably sits.

by Anonymousreply 11701/01/2014

Aguilera is still a soprano, and that was my point. Do not confuse the issue with tessatura. Non classical voices cannot be officially classified as they are deemed artificial, through amplification and modern pop singing styles and "techniques." But it is common practice to classify pop singers anyway. Tessitura literally means texture, but refers to where the voice sits most comfortably and attains it's most pleasing sound and timbre. It therefor relates to both range and classification when referring to a singer. The tessitura of the soprano voice lies higher than all the other female voices.

Celine Dion is a lyric soprano, Whitney and Streisand mezzo-sopranos, Garland and Adele, contraltos. Mariah Carey refers to herself as a contralto, but only so she gets extra points for her perceived range. Mariah's low notes are far from comfortable or pleasant, so she is not a contralto. Tessatura has it's uses to expose someone like her. What notes can she sing well in modal voice? Where does the voice sit most comfortably? Mariah is a lyric soprano.

People perceive Streisand as a Soprano of great range, when in fact her range is quite modest and her voice is a mezzo-soprano.(between contralto and soprano) It is her unique vibrato and soaring off into space high notes that give the impression to untrained ears that she sings higher than someone like Aguilera. She doesn't. Aguilera is a soprano. C3 to c7 range, but she has a dark timbre and is a bit of a special case. She pushes down alot when singing and growls in an unhealthy way. A very unscientific way to classify a voice is to listen to the singers speaking voice. Aguilera is a soprano.

The great Kelly Clarkson is a spinto soprano - she has the light, agile prettiness of a soprano, can sing above high C comfortably, but also has the ability to "push" her voice in a good way for dramatic power and effect. Lots of Wagnerian heroines are sung by spinto sopranos. Sarah Vaughn could sing beautifully from baritone to soprano in range, and is one of the more difficult popular voices to classify. Her voice was wondrous. Closer to Leontyne Price than a pop singer.

Lady Gaga is a mezzo-soprano and has a powerful voice with a rock edge. She has an appealing Broadway/barroom like vibrato, and a basic two.two octave range. She is not a skilled vocalist, but has a competent straightforward style. In the end, it is the tone of voice that pleases us or not. That is, it's completely subjective. But training still shows.

I'll shut the fuck up now.

by Anonymousreply 11801/01/2014

I love all this Vocal range talk! Can you analyze Beyonce, Kelly Rowland, Rihanna and Katy Perry?

by Anonymousreply 11901/01/2014

Love your post, 118.

How about young Kate Bush?

by Anonymousreply 12001/01/2014

Gaga and Aguilera sound good together.

by Anonymousreply 12101/02/2014

It's a rather half-assed remake. Despite Christina's loudness and occasional coos, it's less dynamic than the one with R Kelly. They should have at least beefed up the instrumental.

by Anonymousreply 12201/02/2014

you're missing the song's meaning. This is Gaga's response to when the media and critics mocked her brief weight gain 2 years ago. The song is saying she doesn't care what people say or do about/with her body-it's her mind and heart that she controls.

I would like to hear a third version of this, with Gaga, Kelly and Aguilera all together. That would sound hot. They may be crazy but all 3 are great singers.

by Anonymousreply 12401/02/2014

Maybe they'll do a threeway on the Grammys. The girls will shower R Kelly with the golden stuff.

by Anonymousreply 12501/02/2014

I don't know too much about the technical details of singing, but this site does profiles on popular singers. I'm including the link for Kate Bush's profile below. Usually, if the author is incorrect, they will get corrected in the comments.

by Anonymousreply 12601/02/2014

R124, if that's true than the massive joke is that she does care. She cares desperately, massively what "the media and critics" say about her and her body. She's such a fraud.

by Anonymousreply 12701/02/2014

It's nice hearing women who can sing along, along with Beyonce and P!nk. Shitney, Perry, Ke$ha, Rihanna, Swift, Gomez are assaults on our ears.

by Anonymousreply 12801/02/2014

[quote]It sounds like a song a prostitute would sing. The lyrics basically say to turn off all your emotions and feelings and let the dude do whatever he wants to you sexually. It's actually quite inventive if you think about it. How many top 40 pop songs play to the hooker's point of view and in such a self empowering way?

As R124 said, you're TOTALLY missing the meaning of the song. It's a metaphorical F.U. to her detractors, not a song about prostitution.

by Anonymousreply 12901/02/2014

So no one has any issues about her recording with the child rapist?

by Anonymousreply 13001/02/2014

He's actually a hebophile - is that the right term?

Has anyone seen the vid? Is it definitely him? Why did he get off, court case wise?

by Anonymousreply 13101/02/2014

R130 what about beloved Elvis? He never had to answer for fucking 14 year old Priscilla. wonder why...there are plenty other cases of male entertainers having inappropriate relations with underage fans. I think it's disgusting no matter whom does it, but if Elvis can get away with it, why can't R.Kelly?

by Anonymousreply 13201/02/2014

Didn't Jerry Lee Lewis marry his 13 year-old cousin?

by Anonymousreply 13301/02/2014

Social mores are different. And if his detractors are to be believed, R Kelly has gotten away with it.

by Anonymousreply 13401/02/2014

Social mores, social smores. Sex with a minor is sex with a minor. Pointblankperiod.

by Anonymousreply 13501/02/2014

You're asking for a reason, you got it. I'm not condoning the reasoning.

by Anonymousreply 13601/02/2014

It's funny to me that people don't just acknowledge that Gaga has emulated not only Madonna but also Xtina. Christina has fallen far, but she invented singing great with purposefully distracting images. She adopted a look for each song, and every performance. Her performances were far more polished that Gaga's and she can actually dance. Xtina took control of her career at 21 years old for better or worse. She wrote Miss Independent for Kelly Clarkson and co-wrote most of her songs on Stripped. Xtina showed gay lovers and transgender people in her video for "Beautiful." She was the first person on the Abbey's walk of fame! No wonder there was a feud with the fans at least. I doubt that she is jealous of Gaga, because Xtina is the only singer mentioned in the same sentence with Whitney, Mariah, and Celine. She should learn how to sing better if she wants to keep that reputation. She has been working with a vocal coach for the first time in her life. Xtina is a niche artist now, because of her superior but specific vocal talent and changing styles, some heavy baggage and an obnoxious personality. She was a very insecure and competitive artist, but the baddest bitch out there. She and Gaga are a natural match up.

Aguilera released a cynical and similar, but far superior album than Artpop, with "Bionic", four years ago. It was called a flop, with better sales than Artpop.

"Walk Away" Exibit A. Soul sister.

by Anonymousreply 13701/03/2014

Exibit B.

"Ain't No Other Man."

by Anonymousreply 13801/03/2014

Aguilera and Gaga have similar mid ranges, and sound a bit alike too. They both growl and sing without consequence to straining a note, but Xtina has a much greater vocal gift.

Exhibit C. "Hurt"

by Anonymousreply 13901/03/2014

Xtina vocally stripped. The very pretty, interpretive soprano voice. She has made good use of it lately. At last, she admits to category 5 oversinging.

Exibit D. "Save Me From Myself."

by Anonymousreply 14001/03/2014

An Xtina stan up in this bitch? I can't! lmfao!

by Anonymousreply 14101/03/2014

Yes you can r141. Xtina is #58 on Rolling Stones Greatest Singers (of all time) list, and the youngest one included. Her voice is exceptional, even if her singing or personality irritate.

Aguilera has a four octave range, one of the most beautiful timbres in pop music, and after Kelly Clarkson and Beyonce is the most technically gifted vocalist in pop music. I am not a stan you fool. I am a professional! Some standards of objectivity are required.

Unlike Gaga, Xtina can evoke a Marilyn look without irony and sing a duet with melody. She is probably the most knowledgeable pop singer about old school soul and R&B. She has a passion for those sounds and artists and is not a dilettante about it. I happen to know. She of course can sing complex harmonies, riffs and runs. She has a whistle register. She can duet with more than a muppet. She records in English and Spanish. She has three of the biggest selling singles of all time. She is beautiful. Words can't bring her down. It's impossible.

by Anonymousreply 14201/03/2014

Xtina stan why don't you go into the "Christina Aguilera's collapse is complete" thread?

She is a good singer but certainly not an all-time great. She's had WAY too many moments when she went for too much and failed, or oversang. Plus, the greats never have their periods streaming down their legs at the funerals for true greats such as Etta James.

by Anonymousreply 14301/03/2014

Great site R126. Thanks for the link. Interesting read about Annie Lennox. The article on Kate is a bit short.

by Anonymousreply 14401/03/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!