Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Adults who dress up for Halloween are assholes.

It's a CHILDREN'S holiday, okay? And a stupid one at that. But at least they do it to get candy.

What do adults get out of Halloween? Nothing. They dress up because they hate their ordinary lives and don't have the balls to break out of them in any way, shape, or form unless it's sanctioned.

If you see an adult in a Halloween costume, you can be sure it hates its life and wishes it was still a child... yet they won't DARE to buck the system on a normal day. They put on a stupid costume and brag all the rest of the year about it as if they were creative and rebellious, when all they have ever been is SAD.

by Anonymousreply 20710/21/2014

OP, get some rest and consider re-taking English 101.

by Anonymousreply 110/21/2013

Don't you think you're overreacting, OP?

Some of them do it FOR the kids.

by Anonymousreply 210/21/2013

At least they enjoy themselves. Whereas sitting at home bitching about it on an anonymous forum to complete strangers doesn't really strike me as the actions of a social butterfly, OP.

by Anonymousreply 410/21/2013

I like the idea you pose of people doing it to escape their shitty ass lives... It could work in some angsty teen movie with a little depth... But of course it's not true for everyone... Some though, definitely.

I think I'm going to starve myself this 31st and then gorge myself with candy.. I didn't eat till dinner today and some commercial for halloween cookies came on and i remembered how good candy tastes to a child... I am going to pig the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 610/21/2013

This is stupidest thread ever.

by Anonymousreply 910/21/2013

The adults do it to make it fun for the kids, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1210/21/2013

It was made for pagans, not kids.

by Anonymousreply 1410/21/2013

OP hates anyone with joy in their life.

I can't wait for the demented Christmas shit-fit.

by Anonymousreply 1510/21/2013

How did OP manage to scrape up $18 to post on DL?

Surely a legitimate job and salary can't involved unless it's one of those "work-at-home" deals for the inept and emotionally-challenged.

by Anonymousreply 1910/21/2013

OP obviously didn't get invited to any Halloween parties this year.

by Anonymousreply 2010/21/2013

OP, anyone who shows up all over a thread just to preach and rant about something ( how DARE those awful adults try to enjoy themselves on Halloween?) reveals themselves to be a) drunk and b) pathetic.

The sad person on this thread is you, and we know why. Maybe if you'd get up, put on a mask and go out, you'd get the attention and love you crave so desperately. I'm sure if you had any friends, they'd tell you the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 2210/21/2013

R21 is an idiot and has never heard of CosPlay.

by Anonymousreply 2310/21/2013

I think it's dumb for adults to dress up on Halloween, too, but it doesn't bother me that other people do it. I would never get angry about it and express my anger the way the OP has. Of course, I thought it was dumb when I was a kid, too. It never was fun.

by Anonymousreply 2510/21/2013

R3, you don't need the comma after "English." Also, I prefer to write parenthetical statements within the sentence when possible, i.e.,

[quote]Correct my English if you think it's improper (hint: it isn't).

instead of

[quote]Correct my English if you think it's improper. (Hint: it isn't.)

I don't think it's [italic]incorrect[/italic], and I wouldn't take anything off your grade for doing it this way. I just [italic]prefer[/italic] to do it my way.

The comma comes out from behind "England" in either case.

by Anonymousreply 2610/21/2013

Some of the people here are overreacting to the OP, just like the OP himself is overreacting in the original thread.

by Anonymousreply 2710/21/2013

Ooops. The comma comes out from behind "English" in either case.

by Anonymousreply 2810/21/2013

[quote]It was made for pagans, not kids.

by Anonymousreply 2910/21/2013

OP, just how many people do you know who dress up for Halloween and then brag about it for months on end? Because I know cosplayers, costume designers, con attendees, and several perpetually exited manchildren and even *I* don't know anyone who yammers on about their Halloween costume for most of the year. Maybe for a few weeks while they're making a costume, sure, but that's not at all what you're talking about.

You are a joyless liar. Enjoy never getting invited to parties to be the social butterfly you think you are, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3010/21/2013

OP if you read up on the origin of the holiday, you will find many instances dating far back of adults dressing up in costumes as well as children.

As to why people still do this, It's tradition, it's fun, it's an excuse for a party. I can't believe you are gay and don't understand these concepts...

by Anonymousreply 3110/21/2013

OP, get therapy.

by Anonymousreply 3210/21/2013

Conjunction, junction, what's your function? Don't begin a sentence with "and."

by Anonymousreply 3410/21/2013

Looks like the Grammar Trolls have taken over this thread.

by Anonymousreply 3510/21/2013

Don't begin a sentence with "but," either.

by Anonymousreply 3610/21/2013

Those of you belittling the OP seem to be proving his point re: assholes. You could explain the joy of dressing up, but instead you're launching ad hominem attacks.

I don't dress up myself, and sort of see the OP's point, but I understand that people with dreary lives often jump at the chance to be something they're not, i.e. some witty or fabulous alter-ego. I don't understand why you seem to think someone who doesn't share that whimsy is deserving of such scorn though.

by Anonymousreply 3710/21/2013

I'll tell you why, R37. No one likes to see a person kicked while they're down. If those people's lives are that sad, let them have a damn day in a ridiculous suit if that's what it takes to make it through the year.

by Anonymousreply 3810/21/2013

I saw an ad the other night for Nick at Night Halloween specials, where they're playing all the Halloween-themed episodes of old sitcoms. Which always strike me as phony, because they have these creative and complicated costumes (with special effects) that you never see in real life.

by Anonymousreply 3910/21/2013

Is this the same guy who started the war against Christmas?

by Anonymousreply 4010/21/2013

Maybe it would be beneficial for everyone to keep a bit of the child in themselves. Never get too old to have some fun.

by Anonymousreply 4110/21/2013

OK R37 and OP. A lot of people enjoy the art and creativity of making/coming up with cool/scary/sexy/fun costumes. Have you ever been to the NYC Halloween Parade? Tons of ingenious costumes. I've created a few gems myself and walked. Not all of us are lucky enough to be actors but Halloween is an excuse to dress up and "act" like something different.

And as other people have pointed out, people have costume parties and masquerades at other times of the year- not just Halloween. People have been dressing up for millennia.

And as a kid, I would enjoy seeing anyone in a cool costume- adults or kids.

Sorry that OP has to project and judge because he doesn't get it. Stupidest thread ever.

by Anonymousreply 4210/21/2013

[quote]why do American adults limit it to Halloween? Because they want to be safe, to not be expressive outside of prohibited boundaries, to co-opt a children's holiday for their own need to rebel without risking any social stigma.

that is true!

by Anonymousreply 4310/21/2013

If you don't like it, don't do it...

Don't be so damn judgemental.

(for your information, the only time I've ever dressed up was for a work Christmas Party...practically at gunpoint)

by Anonymousreply 4410/21/2013

OP- I've been observing and very infrequently participating in Halloween as an adult for nearly 40 years. Adults do it because it's fun- creative and perhaps one legitimate bridge back to the joys of childhood.

Lighten up OP. You sound like the sad one because your posts are, well, sad.

by Anonymousreply 4510/21/2013

OP you become transparently more ridiculous with every post your write.

And R37, you're right there with him

OP, people do NOT just do it for Halloween. Have you never been invited to a costume party? A masquerade? Apparently not.

This isn't about having a dreary life, or coopting a "child's holiday", which it was not from the beginning. Adults did it first, to poke fun at ghosts and other spooks.

It's called having fun. Do you really think people have dreary lives 364 days of the year and do this on Halloween just to have fun one day?

No, people who know how to have fun know how to cut loose all year round. You're just not one of those people and are resentful about it.

by Anonymousreply 4610/21/2013

Just shut up, and let me have my breakfast in peace!

by Anonymousreply 4710/21/2013

Most of us have thoughtfully assembled outfits for day, evening, weekends, and holidays. The shoes compliment the pants, which matches the shirt, perhaps tie, and jacket.

OP, are you one of those people who has seven purple shirts and seven green pants?

by Anonymousreply 4810/21/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 4910/21/2013

[quote]It's a CHILDREN'S holiday

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 5010/21/2013

No one is going to mention that Halloween was until about 20 years ago, a big gay holiday? That in fact that night queer adults were much more likely to dress up and go out than their straight peers? Of course the costumes were better and they didn't come from a fucking Halloween store.

by Anonymousreply 5310/21/2013

So OP / R52, you're a sad, bitter, angry, ill-informed, judgmental bitch of a gay man. And since you claim to have been for so long, you're old.

What a charming combination.

It's always endearing to see an asshole call people who like to have fun assholes.

So ironic.

by Anonymousreply 5410/21/2013

What's it to you? Why can't kids AND adults dress u for Halloween? Why can't people do something because they enjoy it. I never dress up..not since I was young or even put out candy for non-related kids but I sure buy the cheap candy and eat it myself. I eat candy anytime a year I want, I just indulge myself more around Halloween. I'm 31 now and I've never been a conformist, so you're theory, while it could apply to some (who STILL aren't hurting anyone) it surely doesn't apply to the majority.

For those who do want to step out of their box and have a little fun, what's so wrong with that and why should they care that you don't approve? You won't even see them, seeing as you'll probably be home posting on a forum complaining about something else.

by Anonymousreply 5510/21/2013

I have the sneaking suspicion that the OP doesn't get many invitations around Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 5610/21/2013

All Hallows' Eve is the most magical and powerful night of the year. It is a time when the veil separating our world from the spirit world is at its thinnest, and the souls of the departed cross over and walk freely among us. Most come to reunite with loved ones, while others come with malicious intent, seeking vengeance against old enemies. We wear masks and guises so that these wicked spirits won't recognize us.

by Anonymousreply 5710/21/2013

OP, could you possibly make your bitterness over having no friends anymore apparent?

by Anonymousreply 5810/21/2013

Sounds like someone is bitter about not being invited to parties.

by Anonymousreply 5910/21/2013

[quote]You could explain the joy of dressing up

You need someone to explain why wearing a costume is fun?

by Anonymousreply 6110/21/2013

You are ill-informed, OP, especially about people dressing up only on Halloween, and that it's a child's holiday.

Thanks for conceding the rest.

You really are sad. We get it now.

by Anonymousreply 6210/21/2013

One of the most fun nights in New York City is October 31st. The Village Halloween Parade is the most inventive and festive gathering this side of Mardi Gras. People of all ages participate. People work on those costumes for weeks. It's also has floats, giant puppets, performance art and musical numbers. Better than the Thanksgiving Day Parade. It's a helluva street party and everyone is invited. There is nothing SAD about it. I bet the OP doesn't even open his door for Trick or Treaters. He sits in the dark scarfing all that half-priced Halloween candy he got at Walmart and trolling the internet searching for any sign of people posting about having fun and making lists of people he needs to get even with. Like the Grinch. Or Donald Trump. Well, I love All Hallows. To my folk it is a day to remember and honor our dead and our ancestors. And then we party like it's 1999. Nothing sad about it.

by Anonymousreply 6310/21/2013

Was "co-opt" today's word in your calendar, OP? You sound deranged.

by Anonymousreply 6510/21/2013

some of r64's other complaints:

"Ice cream? Pathetic! Cream and sugar mixed together is just vile. What sort of cretin ingests such a disgusting concoction?!"

"The 4th of July? WHATEVER! Tell me, just what is it you wastes of carbon get from sitting around and watching things blow up in the sky?! Answer me!!!"

"The beach? Sorry, but it's for losers. Total strangers - 1/2 naked on sand? Swimming in the water? I've never heard of such ridiculous behavior in all my life!"

"The movies? HA! What type of loser sits in the dark and just watches people playing pretend on a big screen. It's beyond sad, if you ask me."

by Anonymousreply 6610/21/2013

Some kids talk their parents into dressing up so some kids do like it when adults dress up.

I didn't like Halloween that much as a kid. Halloween candy mostly sucks, thought so then and I think so now. I liked Halloween more as I got older.

by Anonymousreply 6710/21/2013

Here's a thought, OP: no one really gives a fuck what you think about dressing up for Halloween.

Have a nice day.

by Anonymousreply 6810/21/2013

[quote] If costumes have been done for centuries "apart from Halloween" why do American adults limit it to Halloween?

I guess OP has never been to or heard of Mardi Gras or Carnival? Nor does he run in the circles where he would have ever been invited to a Masquerade Ball.

by Anonymousreply 7110/21/2013

Agree with so much of what has been said

R69 adds even more info to explain why -- on top of all the OP's pathetic traits -- he's also uneducated about the holiday about which he thinks he's the expert.

He doesn't "understand" why dressing up is fun? And there's the answer to what's really behind this - a bore who doesn't understand imagination and creativity. Or just fun.

Two years ago I went to a fantastic masquerade ball that my friends (a lesbian couple) wanted instead of a wedding reception - glam, masques, fabulous costumes. Huge fun. I went to a zombie party weeks ago, and a nude bike ride with body paint last year. So great to see the ideas.

Another group of friends are having a Dowton Abbey party later this year. Yep, we're going in period dress. Can't wait.

Halloween is a great opportunity to mock religion and superstition. It's fun.

It's all beyond OP's understanding.

by Anonymousreply 7210/21/2013

What DO you do on Halloween, OP? Other than spray the neighborhood kids with yogurt scented spittle as you yell "You damn kids stay off my lawn"!!:)

by Anonymousreply 7310/21/2013

Welcome to the Peter Pan generation! Can you imagine what it will be like once the Millennials hit middle-age? By the time it's 2030 there'll be fifty different ways to express the phrase 'in denial'.

by Anonymousreply 7510/21/2013

Why should anyone bother "explaining" anything to you? From what you've said about yourself, you obviously don't find much of anything fun. The concept of interacting with people also seems to be lost on you.

by Anonymousreply 7610/21/2013

R75, it's not the millenials. Baby boomers embraced Halloween as adults in the 1970s. Perhaps gay baby boomers embraced it sooner, or harder, but I remember Halloween 1978 seeing all kinds of adults in costumes. Everyone working at my Bank of America in Santa Monica wore a costume to work on October 31, 1978. I remember it so well because it was the first time I'd seen adults wearing Halloween costumes other than the gays in Greenwich Village.

If the millenials like Halloween, it's because they saw their parents celebrating the holiday just the way they did every other holiday.

Nothing new here.

by Anonymousreply 7710/21/2013

But... but... who can I shit on now?

by Anonymousreply 7810/21/2013

You people love to be trolled.

by Anonymousreply 7910/21/2013

OP / R74 can you not read your own posts and see why it's impossible to explain "WHY" it's fun to you?

You say you're a grinch, you don't like movies with people, you don't like the beach, holidays and on and on ... and you accuse US of having dreary lives and that's the reason people dress up? You accuse other people of belittling you?

You've been told over and over -- it's expressive, it's creative, it's about experiencing other people's creativity and making fun of religion and fear,

You don't understand FUN and thar is why no explanation can get through to you.

Turn that accusation of "dreary life" on yourself and you'll begin to get why you're so bitter and angry and incapable of grasping different ideas of fun.

by Anonymousreply 8110/21/2013

I'm going as Janet Jackson this Halloween. Suck it, bitches. We are a part of the Rhythm Nation.

by Anonymousreply 8310/21/2013

What television programs do you watch, OP? What is your favorite book? Do you celebrate any holidays? Do you like to cook? Are you retired or do you work from home? If retired, what did you do for a living? I really want to know. Do you still have family living? Are you partnered?

by Anonymousreply 8410/21/2013

Someone (OP) forgot to take her meds.

by Anonymousreply 8510/21/2013

OP- many years ago, some friends of mine (and I) put together an elaborate Swan Lake theme for Halloween. We spent more than $500 each on the costumes (5 swans and one handsome prince)- back in about 1980- which means more like $2K today. We had yards of tule- feather headresses and "breastplates" our pink tights and Tochadero ballet toe shoes from Capezio. We also had professional make up done for each of us. For 5 days my appartment looked like backstage at the ballet (I have been backstage at the Joffrey).

Now do I want to be a ballerina? Was I unhappy with my life (hardly, I had a gas in NYC in my 20s)- no. We won 3 contests in NYC over 4 nights around Halloween including at Studio 54. We were in WWD and the tabloids the next day (after the Studio 54 night) we won more prize money in total than our costs.

It is one of the great memories of my life. One guy was the creative force behind our costumes etc. I do not like to do drag, or dress up- but I did this and as I said, it is one of the great memories of my life. I was not and am not sad- I was and am happy with who I am- and was not trying to escape anything. Rather I was having fun with a group of friends that still makes me smile more than 30 years later. And the reaction we got where ever we went was extraordiary.

by Anonymousreply 8610/21/2013

I have never liked Halloweenie,never dressed beyond about 5 when I was dressed by my parents. Not important to me, I just ignore the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 8710/21/2013

you all are falling for the biggest troll post to come around in awhile.

by Anonymousreply 8910/21/2013

[quote]I do need someone to explain why wearing a costume is fun

As it turns out, this is not shocking at all, after reading all of your posts on this thread. You sound like the most miserable person on the face of the earth.

I'm genuinely curious: when you plan an outing or activity [bold]with friends[/bold], what do you do? I guess I'm asking what your definition of "fun" is, and to identify, describe or list some activities that you do for "fun" [bold]with your friends[/bold].

To be clear, "friends" does not include dates or partners. It doesn't include people you met in the bathhouse. It doesn't include your twitter followers or even your coworkers. It's also plural, so listing something like "checking in on my elderly shut-in neighbor" doesn't count either.

We're specifically asking for group activities among multiple people who choose to repeatedly socialize with you on a platonic level, out of their own free will. "Repeatedly" is an important distinction here, as is the number of "multiple people" and the frequency with which you get together. Bonus points added if you don't initiate every activity, but the activities that you plan yourself are the ones we would like to hear about. We want to know what you consider fun.

And I'm sure I speak for everyone else on this thread when I say that we can't wait to see your reply.

Now don't go all shy on us now. You woke up bright and early to start this thread and you've been obsessively answering your critics for over 5 hours now. You're obviously a paid member since you started this thread, so primetime won't be keeping you from replying.

Inquiring minds want to know, OP: how do you define "fun [bold]with friends[/bold]". Describe some recent outings or activities that you like to engage in [bold]with friends[/bold].

We'll all be right here waiting.

by Anonymousreply 9010/21/2013

R90 Maybe OP is my age, and most of his [bold]friends[/bold] according to your exceedingly narrow definition (I had friends I'd dated and friends I met in a bathhouse) are dead.

I have new [bold]friends[/bold] now, but they tend to be people who don't know each other, at least not well. Instead, they're people I've met individually and with whom I've maintained individual relationships instead of going out with them in [italic]en gang[/italic].

While I hang out with each of them "repeatedly," we never get together as "multiple people." It was nothing I planned. It just didn't shake out that way this time around.

You're awfully rigid in the way you define things. I hope the "multiple people" you experience "regularly" help you to bend rather than break, should it ever come to that.

by Anonymousreply 9210/21/2013

Well R89, at least it ended relatively quickly.

R79 / R88 has confessed to being a troll who thought this would be "fun", which, sadly, proves what everyone else said, he's pathetic and the one with dreary life.

Welcome to the current DL, where paying members and trolls are one and the same.

by Anonymousreply 9310/21/2013

OP deserves a hard sound spanking

by Anonymousreply 9410/21/2013

R91 / OP, not understanding Halloween costumes is not just some defect in your personality.

You purposely attacked people with this post, among others.

R93 wins this one. This is what DL has become.

by Anonymousreply 9510/21/2013

When I was a kid, Halloween was a really big deal. Of course there was free candy everywhere - OMG!!! But, there was also a house who put on a major production every year and that was the big talk of the neighborhood kids. The family was into the theater and really made it fun for us.

I am really excited for Halloween. I've already been shopping and researching online as to what the favorite candy is. I've giving out the full size candy bars again this year.

I'm a bit disappointed with the selection of candy at Costco, but the prices are good.

by Anonymousreply 9610/21/2013

One of my best memories was getting dressed up for Halloween with a friend, we were 19. We smoked a joint and went out trick or treating. My friend was dressed up as a hooker (she was 5'8" without the spiked heels). Her heel got stuck in someone's yard and she fell. I laughed so hard I wet my pants, that was the end of our trick or treating.

by Anonymousreply 9710/21/2013

[quote]OP thinks adults shouldn't give or receive Christmas or Hannukah presents, either.

My partner and I don't give much to each other for Christmas, just small token gifts. We adopt a family every year and that is our gift to each other.

My niece now has two kids so I am thinking of just sending her kids a check and giving her and her husband a card. She has a good job and they don't seem to lack for anything.

My nephew doesn't not yet have kids and his job doesn't pay much. I think I will send a check to him and his girlfriend for the same amount I give to my niece's kids. Does this sound fair?

by Anonymousreply 9810/21/2013

Great story, r86. Thanks for sharing.

by Anonymousreply 9910/21/2013

Sounds fair to me, R98.

by Anonymousreply 10010/21/2013

R92? Honey? I was not addressing you. I was addressing the OP who attacked people for indulging in harmless and socially acceptable fun and then questioned the very definition of fun.

Perhaps considering that the post was not directed towards you in the first place would have saved you some time and grief.

If you were looking for a reason to get offended and throw yourself a great big pity-party in a thread that had nothing to do with you, though, then I'm glad I could help out.

by Anonymousreply 10110/21/2013

OP, I take it you don't approve of Mardi Gras or Carnival either.

Why not take the stick out of your fucking ass and stop making these petty, idiotic judgments?

by Anonymousreply 10210/21/2013

If the only people who responded to each other on DL were the person directly addressed, oh what a small, small forum this would be.

Since you did address me this time -- oh, happy day -- I'd like to say I'm surprised you have any [bold]friends[/bold] left, what with your obvious and extraordinary control issues. I don't believe you know "multiple people" who would "repeatedly" put up with the controlling bullshit that constitutes knowing you.

by Anonymousreply 10310/21/2013

When I see posts like this I usually just wonder why do you care, OP? Live and let live. But I would love to have a psychologist explain why supposedly straight men want to dress up as women. Are women the scariest things they can think of? It is one thing about Halloween dress up I truly don't understand. And guys that do this are presumptively women fearing/hating assholes until proven otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 10510/21/2013

You know what? I say Fuck The Children. Anyone who has been to the Halloween parade in the village - or in WeHo - know that this holiday is not about the sniveling little children (or their obnoxious breeder parents) ANYMORE.

And any of you breeder assholes who bring your children to these events need to TAKE THEM HOME.

Stop by Wal-Mart on your way home and pick up bags of candy that they can feed on.

No need for them to dress up either, they're already ugly, obese little monsters.

by Anonymousreply 10610/21/2013

[quote]I'll have you know that I find many things fun. For example, I have a collection of tiny souvenir spoons, one from each state in the nation, including Alaska and Hawaii. Each one was purchased in the state it represents, from a human being I interacted with. So don't tell me I don't know anything about fun, or human interaction.

That's a nice touch to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 10710/21/2013

R104, where I am, it is 12:15 pm- drunk in the AM?

by Anonymousreply 10810/21/2013

This was next to another thread in my watcher...I read:

'Adults who dress up for an anal orgasm are assholes'.

Thought I'd share the hilarity.

by Anonymousreply 11010/21/2013

Oh, look. OP made a thread "happen" so he authenticunted. All the better to troll by. And "jerque"! So clever! Said no one.

[quote]Let's not fight

You're the one who posted a thread slamming people as "assholes". You deserve every ounce of vitriol you're receiving.

[quote]I'm a drunk.

This explains so much. You need massive amounts of toxic chemicals in your body just to feel normal, so it's no surprise that simple fun confounds you to the point of rage.

by Anonymousreply 11110/21/2013

R104 / OP, so now you're rationalizing your trolling with this "philosophy" that DL is now a "collaborative fiction" where you think "riling people up" is "making people think"?

This is what trolls like you have made DL, and the owners in their turning the reins over to "paying posters" who think trolling and baiting is some kind of sophisticated human interaction.

Just drink and pass out. You're an asshole. And stop trying to pretend you're not. You're worse than any of your denials claim.

by Anonymousreply 11210/21/2013

[quote]Sorry if my incomprehension of adults in costumes hit you in your emotional ballsack. But I think that says more about your emotional ballsack than it does about me.

Nice one.

by Anonymousreply 11410/21/2013

OP wrote that WHILE dressed as a sexy sailor.

by Anonymousreply 11510/21/2013

Vegans are assholes, and OP is living proof.

P.S.: Non-pagans celebrating Halloween constitutes cultural appropriation.

by Anonymousreply 11610/21/2013

He's not really vegan, R116, that was him trolling to bait anyone on DL once his thread didn't bring out more trolls and he was under fire by himself.

When he was the angry-anti-Halloweeen bitch, he deserved pity.

When he outed himself as a troll, he deserved to be smacked.

Now that we know what this self-righteous shitlicker really is, this is where "don't feed the trolls" becomes true. He should be starved to death, preferably tied down like in Se7en where he turns into a corpse.

by Anonymousreply 11710/21/2013

This is like the Golden Girls episode when Rose told her cunty neighbor to drop dead.

If I could be around when OP died, I would kick his fucking coffin.

by Anonymousreply 11810/21/2013

I think we should save that pleasure for OP's "husband", R118.

Well, at least the kick that causes the coffin to fall over and his carcass to fall out.

by Anonymousreply 11910/21/2013

Thank you OP!

You have spoken for many of us.

Let me tell you what REALLY irks ME about Halloween--the fact that the help thinks it's okay to hang out in the neighborhood and bring their children along for upper-class candy!

In fact, I'm so put-off by this that I have outsmarted these dolts by saving up all of my American Airlines bags of peanuts and pretzels and will be distributing them as "treats."

And when I get REALLY pissed off at the non-stop parade of kitchen help crotch-droppings I'll be handing out Fiber-One Bars.

"Feliz Halooween Senor" my ass!

by Anonymousreply 12110/21/2013

Well I guess we have our answer to this bizarre thread. OP is Jergue and he has a drinking problem. Kind of a sad thread in my opinion- worse than the misanthropic sentiments of the OP/Jerques's original post.

by Anonymousreply 12210/21/2013

I work with someone like this person, vegan, self righteous, and worse of all, sad and lonely. Any attention they get ( positive or negative) they'll take. They usually prefer the negative though. I guess it makes them feel powerful and superior. I really don't know what kind of sickness it is, but it's a sickness nonetheless .. Only pity for you OP.

by Anonymousreply 12310/21/2013

R121 here, and another thing: if I even find one track of a footprint on my lawn the day after Halloween I'm setting plaster on it and turning it in to Immigration.

Listen, when you're done for the day, you're gone.

Your "treat" is that you get to work in a nice, big, clean mansion with a pool.

by Anonymousreply 12410/21/2013

OP is an asshole and a moron.

by Anonymousreply 12510/21/2013

[quote] Why not take the stick out of your fucking ass and stop making these petty, idiotic judgments?

Why don't you stop responding to trolls whose flamebait is so obvious it can be seen from space?

by Anonymousreply 12610/21/2013

OP/ R120, the fact that the DL endorsed this "collaborative fiction" idea a few years ago is just proof that the DL sold out to the trolls by that point. Don't be too impressed with yourself on that score. It just confirms the original point.

As for thinking you struck a nerve, again, don't be so impressed with yourself. When you were pathetic, joyless persona, we just thought you were an ass, and out of pity, indulged you to explain why it was fun. It's the trolling and the smug behavior that you act like you're doing a service by this conversation, which, before it hit 100 posts, blew up in your face.

We know you don't care. It's just good to know what we're dealing with.

by Anonymousreply 12710/21/2013

The same pleasure actors get from pretending to be someone else. It's intangible. You are asking a question that has no right answer. But I have to hand it to you. You are certainly one of the most civilized trolls we've ever encountered. The thing is, most of us knew you were a troll before you fessed up, but we still felt the need to respond because it made us sad that you might really be that fucked up. Does that make you happy?

by Anonymousreply 13010/21/2013

Should we help OP learn English as a second language by first going over with him/it/they the proper use of pronouns?

by Anonymousreply 13110/21/2013

OP it's very simple why adults dress up. People throw costume parties and give out prizes and I've known of several costume parties throughout the years, usually some charitable event. One was for the zoo and the theme was safari. We also have a Mardi Gras ball and people wear costumes and masks.

by Anonymousreply 13310/21/2013

Most adults who dress up for Halloween don't stay at home and hand out candy, oh pee.

by Anonymousreply 13410/21/2013

I've never been to a Halloween party in my entire life.

by Anonymousreply 13510/21/2013

Exactly. They're dressing up for parties or to go out to bars, where people gather to socialize with friends old and new.

Since OP has admitted he's an alcoholic with only one friend (currently in Nepal!), it's obvious why he doesn't "get" this. He's a nasty drunk with no friends and he's probably been banned from most bars for being a nasty drunk.

by Anonymousreply 13610/21/2013

OP / R132 you were told that before you announced yourself as a troll and pretended you didn't understand and that no one explained it to you, so you could only reassert that we must all have dreary lives to do it.

And that is why you're a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 13710/21/2013

My problem with adults and Halloween is that they've more or less turned it into a gaudy Spring-Break-revival, slut-fest. I mean, what do sexy nurses, sexy witches and sexy vampires have to do with remembering the dead? I miss the style and genuine spooky atmosphere. One Spring Break season a year is more than enough.

by Anonymousreply 13810/21/2013

To be fair, no one in this thread used the word "pretend" as an explanation until the reply that made OP disappear. No one used the word "acting" until then. No one used the word "intangible" either. Perhaps that's all he wanted.

You bitches shout garbled nonsense and expect others to hear the words you don't say in between.

I'm sorry he turned out to be a troll and backed down. I agreed with him.

by Anonymousreply 13910/21/2013

As if fat girls need another reason to put on an outfit two sizes too small and call themselves sexy. No honey, you're a fat nurse, fat witch, fat vampire, fat playboy bunny, fat bar wench. Sexy has nothing to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 14010/21/2013

Oh lord R140 isn't that the truth. Why do fat girls want to wear "sexy" costumes? They cannot look sexy except to chubby chasers. Same with bellydancing. I see a lot of fatties going into the school near my house. The last thing they need to do is put on a tiny little chiffon skirt and coin bra with their fat rolls hanging out.

by Anonymousreply 14110/21/2013

OP, no one needs to explain anything to you. You're just a judgmental butch who can't stand it when other people have fun.

You're obviously old, judging from an earlier comment ("longer than you've had pubic hair") and clearly no fun, which is why you have no friends and are so bitter.

I'd say you're more to be pitied than censured, but you have no more value here than Liza Minnelli's last bowel movement does. Actually, less.

by Anonymousreply 14210/21/2013

When my son was small he used to watch Hocus Pocus at Halloween. One day I told him, "You know the party Tjat the parents are at? The one the whole town is attending? Well, that doesn't happen in real life. Married people with young kids don't go to big Halloween parties. And there's no such thing as a party the entire town attends."

My son said, "Really?"

Me: "Really. It's just in movies and on tv shows. Halloween is kind of underwhelming in real life. I just don't want you to be disappointed. You can trick or treat when you're a kid, and have your Halloween parade in elementary school, but once you're older, there's no big celebration. You may or may not get invited to a Halloween party. If you want to throw one yourself, don't be surprised if not a lot of people come after age 20 or so."

I remembered being disappointed in Halloween when I got older because there weren't any huge fun parties like on tv and in movies.

As for the Greenwich Village Halloween parade, good luck getting anywhere near it if you don't live right there. My coworkers and I couldn't get near it as far back as 1987 and we all lived in midtown. We had to settle for eating in some overpriced restaurant far from anyone in costume. What a dud.

by Anonymousreply 14310/21/2013

WTF, R143? I was going to adult costume parties in the 80s. They're nothing new.

by Anonymousreply 14410/21/2013

r142, I agree, but I do hate the infantile types who are way too invested in it as adults. They become obsessed with the coolest costumes with the most esoteric origins.

Taking it so seriously that you get pissed if someone else isn't into it is juvenile.

by Anonymousreply 14510/21/2013

I dress my asshole for Halloween. I'm Senor Wences and he's Pedro.

by Anonymousreply 14610/21/2013

This thread is pretty funny. Thanks OP!

by Anonymousreply 14710/21/2013

It's too bad Heidi Klum and Seal couldn't "make it work." They threw a big party and had fabulous costumes every year.

by Anonymousreply 14810/21/2013

If adults didn't dress up for Halloween, how else would "good girls" get to go to parties dressed as slutty French maids/school girls/[insert opportunity to wear little clothes here]?

by Anonymousreply 15110/21/2013

R151, they don't do Halloween in the UK, so girls dress like that all the time. Especially in winter.

by Anonymousreply 15210/21/2013

[quote] they don't do Halloween in the UK,

They do now. We used to do Guy Fawkes (Fireworks Night) night, but that's become less popular and has been replaced by American style Halloween.

It some ways it's a relief because the fireworks used to go on for days and would go off in the middle of the night. It was a pain.

by Anonymousreply 15310/21/2013

We expect to see a few 20-somethings trick-or-treating along with the neighborhood children. Every year they show up with their pillowcases to fill. No attempt to dress up in a costume either. Lazy bitches. And they are almost always African American.

Just an observation.

by Anonymousreply 15410/21/2013

Of course it was, r154--a totally neutral, honest observation said in order to foster rational discussion. *eye roll*

by Anonymousreply 15510/21/2013

OP needs to dress up in a straight jacket and eat some candied Abilify!

by Anonymousreply 15610/21/2013

As usual, my husband will dress as Morticia and I will be Gomez.

The drunken, kinky sex we'll have when we come home from the party will be awesome.

by Anonymousreply 15710/21/2013

I hate the 'Sexy Version of ________' costumes that are the rage now. They are women's costumes usually with plunging necklines or halters, thigh-high boots and short shorts, bikini bottom or micro-mini skirt.

Sexy Wonder Woman

Sexy nurse

Sexy police officer

Sexy Dorothy from Wizard of Oz

Sexy vampiress (ok, this one has been around forever)

Sexy Bo-Peep

Sexy corn-on-the-cob

Sexy Princess Leia etc etc etc

by Anonymousreply 15810/21/2013

You don't have to be white to practice racial profiling, R155. Asians can do it, too.

by Anonymousreply 15910/21/2013

Halloween is not a holiday "for the kids", it was just co-opted by kids for a few decades of history. Prior to that it was a holiday for anyone who cared to celebrate it, both in it's pagan form and in it's later form.

Trick or Treating is for children, not getting dressed up in costumes, which adults have been doing for for centuries and on other occasions than Halloween. What do you think the masquerade balls you read about in 18th or 19th century were? Adults dressing up in costumes. Halloween is simply a convenient date for masquerade parties.

by Anonymousreply 16010/21/2013

If OP wasn't partnered, and probably passed out, I'd ask him to marry me.

by Anonymousreply 16110/21/2013

Ewwwwwww. oP,..... Playing with pets is FUN ?? Yuck ..they smell, are dirty and slobber .Gross.

See how easy it is to be a troll ?

by Anonymousreply 16210/21/2013

Try pulling that stick out of your ass, OP bitch! Some of us LOVE Halloween and dressing up. Why are you so bitter? When you were a kid, did you get shitty candy like Dots or Jesus tracts in your trick-or-treat bag?

Maybe you should dress up as douche bag for Halloween, OP!

by Anonymousreply 16310/21/2013

The lesbian in our apartment bldg. dressed as a man (who would have guessed) and had a banana pinned to her crotch.

by Anonymousreply 16410/21/2013

r139 are you out of your mind?

OP the troll was told people do it for creativity, to be expressive, to appreciate other people's imagination -- even the OP HIMSELF said people were dressing up as someone else because they wanted to be that other person, to escape a dreary life -- but you're latching on to the word pretending as the magic word the enlighetened the troll?

Come on.

Even the troll has moved on.

by Anonymousreply 16510/22/2013

[quote]I see a lot of fatties going into the school near my house.

R141 sits behind his curtains and watches the kids go into school every morning. He takes notes.

by Anonymousreply 16610/22/2013

My late BF was masculine and straight appearing as can be, but he could work a seven foot tall witch doctor costume like nobody's business.

by Anonymousreply 16810/24/2013

Is anyone starting to get the feeling that the OP might just be the Red Dragon Cheese Queen? Well?

by Anonymousreply 16910/26/2013

So what did you assholes dress up as?

by Anonymousreply 17011/01/2013

I was searching for Halloween threads and yikes you guys have issues.

by Anonymousreply 17110/20/2014

I always dress up as a crack whore

by Anonymousreply 17210/20/2014

Halloween is more fun as a young adult than it was as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 17310/20/2014

Halloween was once Gay New Year's (with Mid-Summer Night being our Easter.)

We don't celebrate our holidays as much anymore...

by Anonymousreply 17410/20/2014

OP is an asshole. My entire extended family has dressed up for Halloween for as long as I can remember. Great fun.

by Anonymousreply 17510/20/2014

My friend and her bf were Catwoman and Batman last year. She was so drunk he convinced her to try anal. She yelled "Go for it!" until he went for it and ripped part of her anus. He's big.

by Anonymousreply 17610/20/2014

OP sounds like a pill.

by Anonymousreply 17710/20/2014

r176, WTF does that have to do with Halloween?

by Anonymousreply 17810/20/2014

OP are you Ghey? Or a Frau?

by Anonymousreply 17910/20/2014

OH!!!!! I'm sorry, R178. This happened on LAST Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 18010/20/2014

They were ADULTS who dressed up on HALLOWEEN and had sex in the ASSHOLE. I thought it was relevant to the post's title.

by Anonymousreply 18110/20/2014

All Hallow's Eve is about wearing the shadow self you fucking idiot OP - it's a night for all. It's just a bunch of Americans decided to make an industry out of it, using children.

by Anonymousreply 18210/20/2014

Let's guess OP s age and number of friends!

I'm going with 67 and 0.

by Anonymousreply 18310/20/2014

He's right. Stupidest "adult" holiday of all. Halloween should fall away from your catalog of interests the minute you sprout your first pube.

by Anonymousreply 18410/20/2014

Halloween has become as tiresome as Christmas in the run-up, the expectations and the expense. October to February is now a holiday/celebration/spending frenzy what with Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Eve, Super Bowl and Valentine's Day.

Also agree with R151 and R158 about the "sexy/slutty" bit. I worked in a vintage clothing store 6 years ago during Halloween season and it was HELL. The "sexy/slutty" nadir was reached when some bimbo picked up a pair of horn rimmed glasses and announced she could be a sexy Harry Potter. And, no, she wasn't being satirical or ironic.

"Suburgatory" had a gag about this, someone dressing as a slutty squirrel.

by Anonymousreply 18510/20/2014

[quote]Halloween has become as tiresome as Christmas in the run-up, the expectations and the expense.

And the pumpkin spice vomit.

by Anonymousreply 18610/20/2014

So much wrong with OP...

For starters, Halloween is not and never was "a children's holiday." Its full, original name is All Hallow's Eve, the night before All Saints Day in the Christian calendar, but it's earlier roots began as Samhain, a pagan harvest festival. Pagans believed that on Samhain, spirits and underworld figures were more powerful and could pass between their world and ours.

So Halloween is not a "children's holiday;" it's an ancient harvest festival with spiritual/occult undertones that has evolved over millennia.

As for adults wearing costumes, this is also nothing new. I am 45 and my parents hosted Halloween costume parties for their adult friends in the 70s and 80s. It was also not uncommon for adults to dress up to take their kids trick-or-treating or while at home handing out candy.

Costume balls and wearing disguises during festivals and holidays goes back many centuries, at least to medieval times but probably all the way back to antiquity.

It is true that Halloween has expanded in recent years, beyond school children trick-or-treating for a few hours on October 31st to a sort of "mini Christmas" season of parties, seasonal foods and elaborate decorating. But adults wearing costumes, at Halloween or any other time, is not new, nor is it remotely "co-opting" anything that was once exclusive to children.

OP is very bitter, very angry and very misinformed.

by Anonymousreply 18710/20/2014

R187 None of what you state, however, makes it interesting.

by Anonymousreply 18810/20/2014

I wanted to dress in tribute to Joan Rivers. In honor of her new status on the other side.

by Anonymousreply 18910/20/2014

by Anonymousreply 19010/21/2014

I enjoy Halloween much more as an adult than I did as a child. My adult costumes and the parties and events I attend kick ass - much more so than when I was a child.

by Anonymousreply 19110/21/2014

Is OP that same tired, humorless, old prisspot who hates animated movies and TV shows?

by Anonymousreply 19210/21/2014

r192=grown man who watches cartoons

by Anonymousreply 19310/21/2014

193 = tired, humorless, old prisspot

by Anonymousreply 19410/21/2014

r194=unable to perform simple tasks like posting on DL

by Anonymousreply 19510/21/2014

195 = anally fixated to a pathological degree

by Anonymousreply 19610/21/2014

OP, Halloween is for everyone, but trick-or-treating is usually reserved for kids. I don't know any adults or even high schoolers who go trick-or-treating, except to accompany a little kid but they don't dress up.

However, Halloween parties are all the rage! To paraphrase Roxie Hart, there's men and booze everywhere!

The only thing I hate about it is that women aren't very creative with their costumes for the most aprt. They just slut-ify everything, e.g. slutty nun, slutty police officer, slutty librarian, slutty scientist, etc.

by Anonymousreply 19710/21/2014

r196=still can't figure out how to post

by Anonymousreply 19810/21/2014

R196, if you're going to be such an elderly cunt, at least bother to learn posting rules 101.

by Anonymousreply 19910/21/2014

There are some very narcissistic sociopaths in this thread. Very self involved and sad people indeed.

by Anonymousreply 20010/21/2014

Posting rules? You mean putting R in front of the reply you're commenting on? Why have that pop-up window pop up for a reply that's right there? It's not even a rule, you super-anal control freak. It's a feature. Now go back to rearranging your Hummel figurine collection or something, you nit-picking cunt.

by Anonymousreply 20110/21/2014

Did OP die?

by Anonymousreply 20210/21/2014

R201, it's cute how angry you are getting defending your stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 20310/21/2014

Do you have a problem with gay pride parades OP.

What's the difference?

by Anonymousreply 20410/21/2014

by Anonymousreply 20510/21/2014

by Anonymousreply 20610/21/2014

by Anonymousreply 20710/21/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!