Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm 45 and I weigh 300+ pounds.

Today I started a version of Atkins (I think) where I eat grilled chicken and tomatoes and cucumbers. That's it, plus diet pop and fish oil and coconut oil supplements (capsules).

Assuming my will power stays strong, how long can I stay on this diet and be healthy? How much can I expect to lose?

Thank you for answers. I've thought of suicide, I'm so tired of being fat and unwanted.

by Anonymousreply 14011/25/2013

Join a gym, walk on a treadmill for 30 minutes or so. You don't have to do anything else, at least until you feel like it.

If you turn it into a habit, you'll lose weight.

by Anonymousreply 110/20/2013

I drink a lot of diet soda, but some people say it makes you hungrier. You might do yourself a favor by drinking water more.

by Anonymousreply 210/20/2013

Club soda with lemon. Nix the diet soda.

Add fat to your meal - seriously. Dressing, cheese, bacon.

No fruit or nuts.

If you stick to it, you'll be shocked at the end of the week.

by Anonymousreply 310/20/2013

I'm sticking to these 3 ingredients for simplicity. I will use olive oil and I'll cut down on the soda.

by Anonymousreply 410/20/2013

How tall are you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 510/20/2013

Try to go for walks when you can. And good luck!! You can do it. Don't get discouraged or let others discourage you.

by Anonymousreply 610/20/2013

Try to get in as much water as you can, OP, in addition to the diet pop you're drinking. Also, you can buy sugar-free Jell-o cups, and that might help if you're craving something sweet.

Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 710/20/2013

5' 10"

by Anonymousreply 810/20/2013

OP, I lost weight 10 years ago and have kept it off. But you need a bit more variety or you won't be able to stick with this diet. Try alternating the chicken with steamed or broiled fish. Have some spinach with the tomatoes & cucumbers. If you're craving carbs, have some quinoa. And if you get desperate for sugar, skim milk + Quik powder is low-fat way of getting some protein at the same time.

Agree with posters above about walking - put on your ipod & get out there. When your first 50 pounds are off, you can switch to jogging.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 910/20/2013

Not to throw you off course OP but I had to get my flabby butt on a diet too. I am doing just the opposite of you and have gone vegan. Along with that I have been hiking one hour each days in the foothills near where I live. I am down 11 pounds in about 6 weeks. So, whatever works does work. Good luck to you and keep at it.

by Anonymousreply 1010/20/2013

I'm in the same boat OP. My doctor wants me to work up to walking 30 minutes a day (start with 10 minutes a day for one week and then increase the time each week thereafter) with weekends OFF to allow the body to heal and rest. Also cut down on calories by reducing processed foods. The more fresh food and dishes you make the less you enjoy "fake" food I have discovered.

by Anonymousreply 1110/20/2013

Don't drink diet pop.

Drastically reducing your food intake will shock your body and cause it to go into starvation mode, storing every last calorie it can. A gradual calorie reduction and steady weight loss is much healthier and is more likely to last in the long-term.

To maintain your current weight you probably require around 3000 calories (lots of free online calculators if you want a more accurate figure). Reduce this to 2000 and you will lose at least 2 pounds a week. It will probably drop off quicker at first too, because of the water you lose from reduced salt intake. Add in a walk every day (as much as you can comfortably manage) to speed up the weight loss and begin to tone you up. It will be worth it in the end.

by Anonymousreply 1210/20/2013

30 years ago I was your age and I weighed 300+ pounds. I was a health disaster. It took a while, but I lost 80+ lbs. Became a gym rat. My waist went back to 34 inches from 52inches

Use what ever diet works for you. I ran through several.

The main thing here is to exercise too. You don't have to go to a gym, you can just walk at first. It worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 1310/20/2013

Good luck OP. I am in the same boat and I need to do something too.

by Anonymousreply 1410/20/2013

Y'all type fat!

by Anonymousreply 1510/20/2013

You would be a damn fool not to add some brown rice and other fruits and vegetables to that diet. You are asking for some serious problems with your gall bladder and small intestine.

by Anonymousreply 1610/20/2013

I don't get why it's only three ingredients. That seems insane to me.

by Anonymousreply 1710/20/2013

Diet soda is awful for you. Artificial sweeteners actually cause you to consume more calories because their "hyper" sweetness confuses the body into hunger.

I switched to lemon water as a daily beverage (freshens your breath, reduces tartar, has a lot of fibre so reduces hunger, full of vitamins and antioxidants, and is an antiseptic for your throat so you're sick less often). I have soda with some alcohol (vodka or rum) as an end-of-week "treat."

by Anonymousreply 1810/20/2013

It's the wrong way to go.

by Anonymousreply 1910/20/2013

I was 335 at the end of January. Now I'm 250. Didn't do any special diet-- just cut calories and, as I got less heavy, increased exercise. Try to eat a balanced diet! Just lay off the sugar and most fats, and keep stuff like pasta and potatoes to a minimum. Eat a lot of non-starchy vegetables (i.e., limit corn, beans, etc.) and fruits. Small portions of meat, and eat a lot of nonfat dairy (Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and Splenda is good).

by Anonymousreply 2010/20/2013

OP try to cardio 30 minutes a day

Eliminate all sugars and carbs. Not even fruit.

Eat as many veggies as you want.

Don't eat after 6PM

Guarantee you will lose weight.

by Anonymousreply 2110/20/2013

I have tried to follow Atkins becausei like the idea of being able to actually eat and lose weight. I generally eat 1000/1200 calories a day but when I try Atkins I gain weight. Any suggestions for making the diet work for me? Female by the way. TIA

by Anonymousreply 2210/20/2013

Give up the diet pop and as much sugar as you can, this worked great for me. You can satisfy your sweet tooth with fresh fruit. Vary your diet with fish, brown rice, beans and any kind of fresh vegetable. Nobody ever gained weight eating vegetables.

And I agree with the others, get some exercise, start with daily walks and go from there. Good luck OP and stay positive.

by Anonymousreply 2310/20/2013

OP the good news is that it's pretty easy to start losing weight when you have that much extra baggage. I never got that heavy, but I was 225 pounds last April and now I'm 174 pounds.

Some pointers to make the weight loss easier:

1. If you can, use some calorie counting service in the net where you write down everything you've eaten, so you always know how many calories you've eaten, and how much that day you still can eat.

2. Sometimes it's good to plan all your daily meals in advance, and even make them in advance, so you only eat them and nothing else during they day. You can pack the meals in plastic containers and eat them when the time is right.

3. Eat every 3 hours (when awake that is), so your metabolism won't slow down and keeps burning energy all the time.

4. Exercising is important, and on top of burning calories it's just so good for your body and for your mind in many ways. I've been helping my parents during the summer preparing firewood in the woods and since I was wearing my heart rate monitor I saw how many calories my body was burning. Throwing logs was pretty effective, and of course even more so the heavier they were.

Also just carrying them (picking them up, walking with them, putting them down) was great when I did it for a long period of time. It came to my mind at some point that you can do that kind of stuff also at home e.g. with bags of flour or maybe bags filled with books. It might seem silly to keep moving stuff around in the apartment but it is effective. One might even say that doing that kind of real movement where your whole body is involved and where there are no exactly the same repetitions all the time is much better than e.g. running treadmill or cycling in the gym.

If you can buying a heart rate monitor will give you nice info on the excercise you are doing. Before I bought one I had a tendency to spend all my energy too soon when e.g. cycling but now I see when my heart rate is too high or too low and act accordingly.

I've had weight loss campaigns a few times and only this last time did I finally start to really look into what happens when I exercise. You can certainly pretty easily lose weight without having too much knowledge about why it's happening, since really the most basic thing about weight loss is to eat less calories than your body uses. To me it's actually a fun challenge to see my weight going down and understanding that yes, for the last five days I've been eating 1.700 kcals a day and now I've lost a pound in five days.

by Anonymousreply 2410/20/2013

I can't believe there are still people out there who don't understand that low carb doesn't mean eating steak with a side of bacon.

It's VERY healthy to eat this way. Having a piece of chicken cooked in a bit of butter with a salad or other vegetables is better for you than fat free snackwells, sugarfree jello and cottage cheese.

Typical meals for me:

B: spinach-mushroom-cheese omelette

S: seeds/nuts

L: Chicken salad, 1/2 apple or cup of berries

S: seeds/nuts

D: Fish cooked in butter and one veg.

I don't eat anything after 6.

I limit my fruit intake.

by Anonymousreply 2510/20/2013

I think for a short while your diet is just fine, anything is better than consuming the amount of calories you are eating now.

by Anonymousreply 2610/20/2013

Good luck, OP. There's good advice on this thread for you.

by Anonymousreply 2710/20/2013

OP : similar height / weight / age criteria. I understand your pain. Atkins has worked for me. Best not to stay on one "diet" for two long. Use it to kick off weight loss. After a month or so, start developing heathful habits rather than a weight loss plan.

Water is best. Two glasses in the morning before you have breakfast. A glass half hour or so before meals. Whenever you feel a hunger pang, have water. Hunger pangs are often signals of dehydration. No sodas (sugared or diet) no beer, no liquor. This elimnation will help you to lose as much as 20 pounds in your first month. Keep drinking water. If you have an occassional Pepsi, or wine, or don't martyr yourself. Just get back on your water regimen.

The human body thrives or variety. While I now use an Atkins-like maintenance plan, once or twice a month I will allow a splurge day.... and also, once or twice a month I will fast (no intake except water [and perhaps one small meal... a salad, an egg].

Be honest about food and what it means to you. Question your choices. If you are about to buy a dozen doughhuts, ask yourself, "Do I want to eat these or do I want to look and fell better sooner?"

If you crave flavor, have a tablespooon of your favorite ice cream rather than a pint.

Get regular rest. It helps weight loss. Stay social, enjoy he company of friends and family at non-eating evens and get-togethers.

Be kind to yourself. there will be ups and downs. Keep steady until you reach your goal.

by Anonymousreply 2810/20/2013

OP, please don't do this to us.

Consult a physician and nutritionist. Don't come to the DL telling us as strangers that you've considered suicide and you're lonely and you don't know a thing about the diet you're on. Be reasonable. And good luck.

by Anonymousreply 2910/20/2013

This is how I look at it OP. It is harder than you think but worth it:

Anything you are doing now, you won't see results for two weeks. That is how you have to look at it. If I was starting a diet tomorrow, I would tell myself I am not going to really expect anything until the 4th of November. So think everything you're doing now will show a result two weeks from now. That'll help you stay on course when things seem stalled. Just keep plugging away and don't think the sacrifices of today are going to show up tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 3010/20/2013

I eat like R25. No grains, no legumes and no sugar. Takes about 4-6 weeks to get over the cravings, but now I don't get cravings and I never really feel hungry. I was skeptical when I started a year ago, but it's amazing how I feel, now. Lost 50lbs, too.

by Anonymousreply 3210/20/2013

[quote]If you crave flavor, have a tablespooon of your favorite ice cream rather than a pint.

And what is he supposed to do with the other 13.5 oz., R28? This is [italic]the[/italic] dumbest advice of all the dumb diet advice there is in all the dietverse.

by Anonymousreply 3310/20/2013

Thanks for all the good advice. I'm tired of being automatically dismissed (professionally & socially) due to my obesity.

by Anonymousreply 3410/20/2013

Do you know why you're overweight, OP? I'm not trying to be condescending. Is it portion control? Binging? Too many sweets?

by Anonymousreply 3510/20/2013

OP, just remember that hunger pangs are just St. Paul's way of giving you a really gay hug.

by Anonymousreply 3610/20/2013

R22, 1200 calories per day is low, even for a small woman who is moderately active. You should get your thyroid checked. Your metabolism may also have slowed down because you are not eating enough calories.

by Anonymousreply 3710/20/2013

A food addict can not stop with one teaspoon of ice cream. It's like being an alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 3810/20/2013

I would see a professional Dietitian or Nutritionist if I were you OP. Do not do any kind of extreme diet, they never work.

by Anonymousreply 3910/20/2013

I'm a recreationaland emotional binger eater. I have no job, no bf, no life, except for food.

by Anonymousreply 4010/20/2013

OP, you really gotta skip soda pop. Diet or not. It will ruin your chances for success, and success is what you want, right? Try plain fizzy water with no additives. Then squeeze a lemon, or stevia drops into it if you miss sweets. Stevia won't hurt your body the way fake sugars will (I'm speaking to you Splenda and aspartame). You need to drink 20 cups of water daily. Seriously. This will help with feeling full and flush your toxins (losing weight releases toxins held in the fat cells - you can get sick if you don't drink enough water).

Don't limit your diet so severely, or it will be near impossible to stay on it. Go with meat/fish/eggs and fat, and lots of veggies (not starchy ones). Veggies mean any of: salads, squash, carrots, celery, beet, kale, chard, eggplant, bell pepper, tomato, cucumber, broccoli, cauli, brussels sprouts. Don't forget onion and garlic which will make all the veggies taste better. Use salt and pepper to taste - don't cut back on everything all at once, or in depression, you'll succumb to failure and feel worse.

Make your meals as delicious as possible with herbs, fat, meat/eggs, and veggies - a little chopped onion or garlic fried up, plus salt, go a long way for flavor in a meal. I never knew how much I liked veggies until I learned how to make them delicious.

You can also eat homemade trail mix for snacks. That includes pumpkin seeds (high in nutrients), sunflower seeds, coconut, as well as any nut you can imagine. I would suggest raisins as a small sweet addition, but if you're like me, you'll have a bad night and eat the whole container of raisins.

The way I got this to work for me was the GAPS diet. Lots of soup, sooo delicious. I never knew veggies could be this yummy.

After awhile, you can add in cooked apples and honey. The weight will fall off of you, and if you keep it as balanced as possible, you'll feel better emotionally too.

by Anonymousreply 4110/20/2013

Joining a group that is dealing with issues like being overweight will help you not only lose weight OP, but will give you a recreational activity that will help improve your health, and boost your confidence, the more healthy you get, the more your confidence will improve & you can then turn your life around. Do not give up on yourself OP.

by Anonymousreply 4210/20/2013

I could never take food advice from someone who calls vegetables "veggies."

by Anonymousreply 4310/20/2013

Food is my life. I fantasize about it, look forward to it, get disappointed when it's gone. This will be a struggle.

by Anonymousreply 4410/20/2013

I've also been worrying about loose skin, but then I realized how presumptuous that is!

by Anonymousreply 4510/20/2013

Will power? Doesn't exist.

You need a sponsor, a 12-step program, two hours of exercise (swimming is best as it's the easiest) per day. Read Freedom from Food Addiction. No more sugar, flour or wheat in any form.

This will change what you want to ingest after you detox. You will find that you will enjoy the simple meals, and your hunger will disappear. Like alcoholism, as described in the AA Bigbook, this is a physical craving combined with a mental obsession.

That's it. Do it or don't.

by Anonymousreply 4610/20/2013

OP--I have a friend who went, in a relatively shirt time, from being 400+ pounds to a normal weight (I'd say upper 100s) around 2001, and he has kept it off with no trouble. He says he feels like things are the same for him--he just weighs less.

He did it under the supervision of a doctor. He was concerned that weighing as much as he did, a change in routine, even one that seems to be healthy, could be disastrous. (There are lots af self-administered weight-loss routines are pretty insane.)

You don't weigh near as much as my friend, but I hope you will consider medical supervision.

by Anonymousreply 4710/20/2013

OP good luck!! Just don't ever give up and if something doesn't work, try something else. You have time to stave off serious disease, so remember it's not just about your looks but that you owe it to yourself for your health. You're worthy of being kind to yourself -- focus on that more that what you think others will think of you.

by Anonymousreply 4810/21/2013

Shut up R46, you goddamn dingbat. You don't have to give up wheat, unless you just want to. I'm tired of you silly freaks.

by Anonymousreply 4910/21/2013

OP You have lots of people cheering for you and giving advice. The poster who mentioned going to a support group was giving good advice. It is always nice to have a group there with you. Also it would get you out of the house. Keep us posted pound by pound.

by Anonymousreply 5010/21/2013

"How about dust?"

by Anonymousreply 5110/21/2013

Thank you 37

by Anonymousreply 5210/21/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 5310/21/2013

OP - You can totally do it. I lost 80-ish lbs on Atkins, gained it back when I went off the diet, then lost 120 and kept it off (for 3 years now) by not really dieting, but more reducing what I ate/watching calories and fat.

Atkins can work but failed for me because I saw it as a restrictive diet. Any "diet" has the potential to "cheat" on it, which can lead to binging, which then undoes all the good the diet ever did in the first place. Which was what I did.

The trick is to change the way you eat, every single day, and no longer hold the mindset of being "on" or "off" a diet."

You also, as other people have said, REALLY need to be under a doctor's supervision. It was really weird all the stuff that went wrong with my body once I lost a lot of weight - it was around the 80 lb mark where I started having problems. It's just a shock to the system to be that much smaller and things get out of wack.

As for loose skin...worry when/if it happens. Some people are able to bounce back in a few years with exercise, others need surgery. A good friend of mine and I have lost the same amount of weight - he needed surgery to deal with stomach skin. I still have a bit of loose skin, but nowhere near enough to be considered a surgery candidate (just enough that a doctor can look at me and know I lost a lot of weight). You won't know until you get there.

by Anonymousreply 5410/21/2013

OP I can relate. I switched to a Paleo lifestyle. Google Paleo and it will tel you everything you need to know. It has changed my life. It s amazing how bad gluten is for you. I took it a step further and decided I did not want/need sugar or dairy anymore either. Good luck and you must be very dedicated for the first thirty days then you can be a little more flexible, but I still live Paleo 99% of the time.

by Anonymousreply 5510/21/2013

I haven't read most of this thread. Has anyone asked about the issues that surround OP's overeating?

by Anonymousreply 5610/21/2013

I wish you the best, OP!

by Anonymousreply 5710/21/2013

OP, I agree with you on the simplicity aspect. But do variety, too. Vary your veggies. I'd alternate between chicken and fish, (Tuna fish is fine.) Eat salads using olive oil and balsamic.

If you grill veggies in the oven (400 degrees for about 25 minutes)use Olive oil & balsamic to flavor them. Don't be afraid of seasonings. Some garlic powder, crushed red pepper...and olive oil make green beans and Brussels sprouts delish after you steam them.

All these things are quick too. If you have a microwave, just wash you Brussels sprouts, or broccoli, or green beans, put them in a bowl with about an inch or two of water, and cook them for about 4-6 minutes.

Stick a fork into them to see if they're tender enough, drain off the water, drizzle olive oil and seasonings, and sort of mix to make sure the seasoning and the drizzle of oil (No more than a table spoon) coats the veggies evenly. There. You're ready to eat. If you grill a chicken breast seasoned well, and cooked in a toaster oven for about 30 minutes, you have a meal.

What's important is to eat often. Like every three hours. But eat sparingly. A piece of smoked turkey or ham wrapped around a stalk of celery, or a hard-boiled egg or a tossed salad with just a drizzle of dressing will do. Remember.

Veggies and salads are "free." As long as you're careful with the dressing and oil and use them sparingly, and compensate with other seasonings, you can eat a lot of veggies and not ruin your diet. Fruit will put weight on you so be very careful. No bananas. Eat an orange or some grapefruit. No more than one apple a day.

Always eat breakfast. Oatmeal, or yogurt, or cottage cheese with fruit. Try to limit your bread to a high fiber whole grain bread and eat only one slice a day if you must. It would be better to try not to eat any at all.

Stop using butter or margarine. Use Olive oil. Olive oil is my favorite thing in the world and it's healthy for you. Go to Trader Joe's and get some good olive oil at a good price.

Don't drink anything carbonated or artificially sweetened. Drink Iced tea with honey in it, and drink water. No fruit juices either. None. No orange, apple or grape juice. too much sugar, too many calories. Empty calories.

Good luck to you. I'm certain that if you stick to your diet, and remember to eat several times a day, to keep your metabolism from slowing down, you will realize weight loss that is noticeable in less than a month.

by Anonymousreply 5810/21/2013

You can exercise all you want, but unless you change your diet, you're screwed.

by Anonymousreply 5910/21/2013

Stop with the goddamn SODA POP. It's SODA, flyover freaks!

by Anonymousreply 6010/21/2013

If you can't keep up with something as far as exercise goes, at least try not to set on your ass all the time.

It's really eating less that makes you lose weight. Besides at 300 pounds, you don't need to stress out your heart.

by Anonymousreply 6110/21/2013

You can stay on Atkins for some time assuming your otherwise healthy.

Look you first need to get that weight down. You didn't say how tall you are, but get the weight off then worry about maintaining it.

First things first and good luck to youse.

by Anonymousreply 6210/21/2013

Any of the diets can work up to a point, OP. But you need to change the way you eat for life. Period. So get into a routine that's not too extreme and make sure it's sustainable. Nothing is more discouraging than to lose weight on some extreme diet, then gain it all back and more once you stop dieting.

Lean meats, vegetables and drink lots of water and tea. Exercise is good because it keeps your blood pressure and your sugar levels and you cholesterol under control.

You can walk anywhere, even inside your house. Just walk or move around doing some aerobic activity for 30 minutes straight, every day, and it counts. In fact, 30 minutes is nothing. Once you've done it for a couple of weeks you need to increase it by five minutes every week, until you hit 60 minutes. If you do it in the morning, time passes so much faster when you're only half awake.

by Anonymousreply 6310/21/2013

Why is everyone talking about food and not the issues that lead to such bad practices?

by Anonymousreply 6410/21/2013

Are you thin yet?

by Anonymousreply 6510/27/2013

Please stop cooking fish in butter. They mysoginy on this thread is turning into sociopathy.

by Anonymousreply 6610/27/2013

If it's white like rice, white bread, sugar - don't eat it.

I would go with full fat salad dressings vs. diet dressings as well. The diet crap has tons of preservatives and carbs you don't need.

Don't eat anything after 7pm. Just drink water.

by Anonymousreply 6710/27/2013

Well, it's been a week and I stayed on my diet. I only shit once and that was yesterday. This week I'll begin working out at the gym.

by Anonymousreply 6810/27/2013

Shitting once in seven days is not good.

by Anonymousreply 6910/27/2013

Light/diet sodas just don't work. Drink water! Try to go for half a gallon per day. Also what might help you is peanut butter. I am not kidding you, studies made on huge cohorts of people showed that the more you eat peanut butter the less you put on weight. Peanut butter has a very low glycemic index (14) which means that you won't get any sugar crash a couple of hours later. Generally, always favor vegetables and food with a low glycemic index -> less cravings down the road. No more pasta, no more pizzas and of course no more refined sugar.

And I would also walk one hour a day as a start but not necessarily on a treadmill: treadmills are so boring. I would try to walk outside if you can find a park, a forest, a beach in the vicinity. When I go for a walk or a running outside, I also like to listen to self-help podcasts or anything reinforcing my new resolution to be more fit/lose weight/work out.

Last but not least, I would advise against losing too much weight too fast: 10 pounds would be a maximum, 4 to 6 might be better. The last thing you want is to go yo-yo: that's a game you always lose eventually.

by Anonymousreply 7010/27/2013

You don't need to drink a ton of water but you do need to shit more then once a week. Eat some vegetables or some brown rice. Don't be a fool.

by Anonymousreply 7110/27/2013

Snack on carrots.

by Anonymousreply 7210/27/2013

Wear it with jeans!

by Anonymousreply 7310/27/2013

R70, the guy weighs 300 pounds, he can't walk for an hour, use your damn head. Do you want him to have heart failure?

by Anonymousreply 7410/27/2013

I certainly don't agree with the restrictive three-item diet OP plans, but I do understand that the journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step.

If OP could have followed all of the wonderful dietary advice given in this thread, he would have. Sometimes it is easier to have rigid rules to get started, in an attempt to remove choices that will result in in failure.

Remember Jared? He was just a no-name fat college kid, and he started the Subway-only diet and lost hundreds of pounds. I seriously doubt he eats Subway more than once or twice a week now, but he has changed his habits and used exercise to introduce a variety of food into his diet.

So OP, I understand what you are trying to do, but you do need to lose the diet soda and substitute it with water, or coconut water, or something non-carbonated. If you were a sugar soda junkie, then I understand having a Diet Coke maybe once per day as a treat, but you will learn to enjoy other beverages if you start drinking them regularly. Make iced coffee with fat-free soy milk and stevia if you have to...anything is better than guzzling any type of soda.

And maybe you can go to Subway one day a week for the low fat 6-inch sub with baked chips. This is going to be a long haul and you will need some variety, and will find that even a simple meal like this will taste glorious.

OP you can do this. You must do this. Take your life back now.

Keep us posted please. I love a good project.

by Anonymousreply 7510/27/2013

I am curious. I am not such a big soda drinker but why is everyone against diet soda on this thread. It has 1 calorie or something. Isn't it a good substitute for the real thing?

by Anonymousreply 7610/27/2013

You need more veggies for the fiber, OP. Why don't you start making salads, with a a nice homemade dressing? A little olive oil and avocado will be good for you as well. Diets that are too restrictive do not work in the long run, and you are in this for the long run.

by Anonymousreply 7710/27/2013

R70, I used to walk a lot earlier when losing weight. I had one trick that helped me to get out even on days I really didn't want to. I like to listen to audiobooks and I purposely picked one that I really knew I'd enjoy and want to listen to, and then I made a decision to only listen to it when out having a walk. So it was a small push that made me anxious to get out and walk just to keep hearing what happens in the book next.

OP, I hope you are not getting too dizzy from all the advice you're getting here. When I first time started losing weight 10 years ago I had no fucking clue about anything. I even thought that eating ice cream makes me lose weight and so I'd buy boxes of ice cream bars and practically ate only them for many days. But slowly during the years I've learned more and more of what human body needs to get muscles or how much calories it needs to lose weight.

So don't worry if you don't know everything perfectly about losing weight. But it does help to understand how many calories you should only eat daily to lose weight. I don't live in the States so I don't know what would be the best calorie counting service in the web over there, but a quick googling brought up MyFitnessPal.com which seems to have that kind of service, and for free, apparently? Using that kind of service really helps to keep track of what you're eating and how you are progressing.

by Anonymousreply 7810/27/2013

OP - where did you dig up this diet?

by Anonymousreply 7910/27/2013

OP, I have found that I get constipated when I don't follow a certain regimen:

I take probiotics capsules every day. I take a fiber supplement every day, like Metamucil or Benefiber, I take vitamins every day, and I make sure I drink water, and exercise every day.

You do need to improve on your regularity, because it helps weight loss and gets rid of toxins. Otherwise you'll retain a lot of fluid and bloat. Change your diet. Eat more vegetables.

Stop eating bread and sweets, that might help. Ditch the caffeine, too. If you eat on a fairly regular schedule, and maintain a regular regimen, you will be fine.

by Anonymousreply 8010/27/2013

OP--if you can, work with a doctor. When I was very young I went on a series of self-directed diets, including Atkins, and developed heart problems. A friend of mine, who weighed more than 400 pounds, went on a medically-supervised diet and has been "normal size" for about 15 years.

I think you should think twice about getting health advice from an online forum. The reason we do so is in the hope that, among the various responses we get, we expect at least one to agree with what we are going to do anyway. It's not the place for people looking for good advice.

by Anonymousreply 8110/27/2013

Every single person who posted here gave different advice, eat this, don't eat that. Losing weight SUCKS.

by Anonymousreply 8210/27/2013

Eat less, move more. Works for everyone everytime.

Atkins is never healthy.

by Anonymousreply 8310/28/2013

https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/default.aspx

Allows you to set goals for exercise and weight loss.

It will then set limits/targets for you in all the basic food groups...In other words, a BALANCED diet.

It's not perfect (no diet plan is) but I lost a lot of weight using it.

by Anonymousreply 8410/28/2013

I needed to get away from landing on the 300 pound mark a few years ago and took the advice that Saffy offered to Eddie: "Just eat less and exercise more."

Revved up the unused treadmill sitting in the corner. Looked at my favorite meal: A hamburger with a family sized bag of Lay's Ruffled chips. For dessert it was either a whole Entenmanns cake or a half gallon of Chocolate Ripple ice cream. Washed down with gallons of soda or milk.

Cut out the "C" food which included all cookies, cakes, Ice Creams, crackers, Cokes and chocolate.

Treadmill for a half hour 6 days a week.

Down 100 pounds and still losing. Got discouraged more than a few times, but determined to stick it out, If I fell off the treadmill or off the diet, I yelled at myself and got right back into it.

You can do it too.

by Anonymousreply 8510/28/2013

wean yourself off the diet soda. If you need a flavored soft drink, drink water or seltzer with just a little fruit juice - very little.

by Anonymousreply 8710/28/2013

OP Have you considered getting a dog? This would keep your mind busy and your mood happy and keep you exercising. Or how about walking dogs at your local animal shelter?

by Anonymousreply 8810/28/2013

[quote]A hamburger with a family sized bag of Lay's Ruffled chips. For dessert it was either a whole Entenmanns cake or a half gallon of Chocolate Ripple ice cream. Washed down with gallons of soda or milk.

You cannot be serious, r85. Please tell me this was a parody. Please. Nobody seriously eats like this, do they?

Now, I love my bread, pasta and chocolate but this "meal" is shocking even for me. Didn't it make you ill?

by Anonymousreply 8910/28/2013

R89 Lots of people eat like that. The portions are large, but OP is 300+ lbs.

by Anonymousreply 9010/28/2013

I am 45, am tall, and have long hair

by Anonymousreply 9110/28/2013

r85 here and I am absolutely serious about that being a typical meal for me.

Everyday after work, I would stop at a Cumberland Farms convenience store and I would make sure to buy only one half gallon of ice cream and one family size bag of chips (always on sale) a day because I knew that if I bought two of each that I would finish both of them before the night was done. It would have been too easy.

I am a bottomless pit when it comes to eating.

But that was then and now I stop way before the bottom comes up. I have changed my way of eating and because I don't gorge myself on my favorites, now I can enjoy them more on the rare times I give myself a treat.

by Anonymousreply 9210/28/2013

If I ate like that r92, I would weigh a lot more then 300 pounds and I'd be dead because of diabetes. How did you escape diabetes? I think you were lucky. I'm glad you got things under control.

by Anonymousreply 9310/28/2013

I'm thin, but I could eat like r92 if I was drunk. I would be huge if I allowed myself to be drunk all of the time.

by Anonymousreply 9410/28/2013

Soy muy alto y fuerte

by Anonymousreply 9510/28/2013

You eat a lot when you drink, r94?

I think a lot of drinkers drink but forget to eat.

by Anonymousreply 9710/29/2013

I'm having a gastric bypass in January, and I can't fucking wait. I'm so tired of dealing with this shit.

by Anonymousreply 9810/29/2013

r98 you might want to research it - you deal with other shit after GP- including shitting your pants.

by Anonymousreply 9910/29/2013

If food is your comfort, when you can't eat, how miserable will you be?

by Anonymousreply 10010/29/2013

I guess this thread helps explain OP's bitter misogyny.

by Anonymousreply 10110/29/2013

What, r96?

by Anonymousreply 10210/29/2013

The OP of this thread is one of our resident misogynists who is also the OP of a thread from this morning about "another woman gets away with accusing someone of rape"...

by Anonymousreply 10310/29/2013

I lost about 40 lbs 2 years ago just by walking a few times a week, cutting bread/pasta by half, lots of water, and by being about 80% vegan. AND...cutting WAY back on alcohol.

What worries me is OP saying he has no life other than food. I have a friend who lost over 100 lbs a few years ago, thinking he would be a happier person and get a boyfriend once the weight was gone. He still had the same problems, and gained it all back. I encouraged him many times to try therapy, but he wouldn't hear of it.

The one thing that has made him a happier person now? He got a dog. He has even taken some of the weight back off.

by Anonymousreply 10410/29/2013

I fell off the wagon tonight. I drove to Mcd's and ate 2 fish sandwiches, then I ate large fries and a Hershey pie at Burger King. The food was a disappointment and now I have to start over.

by Anonymousreply 10510/29/2013

You are not starting over. That was more of a slip than anything else. Try and look at the whole picture.

by Anonymousreply 10610/29/2013

Don't give up because you slipped up. You aren't ruined.

by Anonymousreply 10710/30/2013

[quote]I am curious. I am not such a big soda drinker but why is everyone against diet soda on this thread. It has 1 calorie or something. Isn't it a good substitute for the real thing?

There's a theory that it fools you into wanting to eat more. Personally I lost 110 lbs over one year and diet pop was a staple. That was 11 years ago and I have gained 7 lbs since then. Still love my diet Pepsi. If everything fails, then by all means try to forgo the diet pop but it's really not the first thing you should tackle. Focus on calories consumed versus calories burned.

by Anonymousreply 10810/30/2013

Next time have 3 fish sandwiches and 2 large fries, OP!

by Anonymousreply 10910/30/2013

Ignore the ignorant like R109 OP and, as others have said, don't think of it as "starting over."

Instead, yes, take it for the "slip up" it was and have a meeting with yourself (it sounds stupid, but works when you're trying to reach a goal, believe me!). You first start with what you'd done right until that point, then think about ways you can avoid making that same mistake again. Everyone makes mistakes doing anything, so don't beat yourself up over it. You've had a history of eating like that so you need to persevere and design new strategies as you go on.

Make smaller sub goals in your weight loss and realize the less of these mistakes you can avoid making, the sooner you'll celebrate dropping a whole size. Think of how good that will make you feel and remember how "disappointing" all that food you ate really was. Even if a food binge does taste good, it still has to end sometime and you'll have to deal with being farther away from your sub goal and goal. BUT continue always, and never start over.

by Anonymousreply 11011/04/2013

So is the OP dead from malnutrition yet?

by Anonymousreply 11111/04/2013

Now I weigh 293!

by Anonymousreply 11211/05/2013

And this is how the war is won. Pound by pound.

by Anonymousreply 11311/05/2013

I recently lost weight. Have you heard of the HCG weight loss regimen? Ask your doctor about that option, it's truly amazing. You have to follow the instructions to the letter, but it worked wonders for me.

by Anonymousreply 11411/05/2013

Go get some cookbooks from the library and learn to prepare quick satisfying meals. I recommend the Blood Sugar Solution and cookbook by Dr. Mark Hyman. You want to develop at least 10-20 go to easy meals so you won't rely on fast food. You likely have an insulin resistance problem which makes you crave carbs and makes it difficult to lose weight. I have two books for you to read - The End of Overeating which details how the food industry designs food to manipulate your brain chemistry and The Power of Habit which will help you recognize and break ba habits and create good habits. When you went to h drive thru you were running an old program. You have to retrain your brain. You might want to try hypnosis or The Release Technique. Best of luck and success to you!

by Anonymousreply 11511/05/2013

Way to go OP!! What a great start.

by Anonymousreply 11611/05/2013

Thanks! I will keep you all posted -although I will not be posting pictures.

by Anonymousreply 11711/05/2013

OP at r40, that was a severe comment and is one that I can identify with. I'm an alcoholic. There's a lot of advice here, some of it too detailed and too complicated for you to follow right now, some of it cliché and tedious.

I'm unemployed, too. Lost my job and BF a few years ago. Both of them were absolutely useless, but knowing that doesn't make my life any easier.

Because I am still drinking and don't have a job, my credibility is zero. That won't prevent me from offering advice because this is Datalounge, afterall.

Get outside several times a day, even if it's just to visit your block or your front yard to take out the trash. Get out of bed at the same time -- preferably before noon -- and force yourself to take a shower, even if you don't want to.

If you end up leaving your home and having triple super-sized double bacon cheeseburgers with fries, and chocolate sauce, so be it. Keep getting outside. Don't beat yourself up about it. You binge everyday, anyway, so why hurt yourself over a perceived "relapse"? You have to expect many relapses and forget about becoming a Supermodel. Guilt is so overrated.

Again, the point is to get your ass outside as much as possible. Things will start to fall into place. Just gotta keep doing it.

I masturbated four times today (awesome!) but only left home once to get Vodka, didn't send out any resumes, and am now severely depressed, as usual. I could have gone outside many times, even to my front deck, but didn't bother.

Good luck to you.

by Anonymousreply 11811/05/2013

Sorry you're struggling with the alcohol and unemployment. Before my diet, I often did not speak face to face to another human except the cashier at the drive thru. A bottle of shampoo lasts me a year because my hair is short and I don't always shower. I'm making progress on my diet, but I'm even more depressed because I have nothing to look forward to now. I guess going outside is good psychologically as well as medically (for the Vitamin D exposure).

by Anonymousreply 11911/05/2013

OP, you need to add more fiber. Buy some lentils in the supermarket, they are vacuum packed and all you have to do is put them in the microwave. I add a bag of birds-eye vegetables to them and eat. and let me tell you, you will have a bowel movement the next day the likes of which you haven't seen. it's ALL about the fiber--big meaty dumps that sort of clean you out and help with bloating and that BLAH feeling too. Garbanzo beans are good too....just rinse them to get the extra salt off and voila, you can eat them to get lets of fiber. you might want to think about going meatless a few times a week. it really does help with digestion.

by Anonymousreply 12011/05/2013

We're dealing with depression and there are no easy cures. It's a surprisingly common human condition. Have done every pill and program imaginable.

I have volunteered, gone to the gym, and petted homeless kittens. The job market is absurd. But I'm done with blaming myself or my childhood or bothering with stupid Republicans.

The act of getting out of bed, possibly bathing, and getting out of the house are possibly the most powerful things we can do. Have had some amazing and unexpected experiences, but lost the will for the past four days. I'll get back up and hope you do, too.

by Anonymousreply 12111/05/2013

OP, are you still reading responses? I was overweight for many years, at one point reaching almost 250 pounds. In the past few years, I've achieved success at last and managed to keep the weight off. I know how you're feeling because I've been there myself. I use multiple approches and combine them into a coordinated plan. Sometimes I make mistakes even now, but if you're still reading, there are some tips I can give you. I'll check this thread later, hope you're still reading it.

by Anonymousreply 12211/24/2013

Diet soda is the worse thing for you or anybody. Have water, preferably bottled without any flavor or additive. If you miss fizz, then have a low salt carbonated water and squeeze in some citrus.

by Anonymousreply 12311/24/2013

I've struggled, OP.

I've lost a fair amount of weight after a gallbladder surgery this summer. The biggest help was to cut fats.

I don't have a lot of time to prepare food at work, so I started taking smoothie sorts of things a few times a week. Not a "diet" smoothie but a Bolthouse Farm one, which is a good balanced one.

I also used LoseIt! which is a free app, to calculate what I was eating. I was surprised by the amount I was eating.

Honestly, it's all about being MINDFUL. I ate a lot because I was too busy to pay attention. You have to be mindful. If you're open to meditation I would suggest doing it at the same time you start a new regimen.

Diets are short term...you have to make decisions that will change the course of your life.

Hey R13 - I would love to hear more about what you've done.

by Anonymousreply 12411/24/2013

I've been drinking diet soda for 30 years and I weigh 130 lbs and pass every physical with flying colors. My mother is 83 and has been drinking diet soda longer than I have been. It's one of those magical thinking internet memes that diet soda makes you gain weight. The fact is overweight people switch to diet soda and that's why so many diet soda drinkers are overweight. The soda didn't make them overweight; they're overweight status caused them to start drinking diet soda. They continued to drink it whether they were dieting or not dieting.

by Anonymousreply 12511/24/2013

It didn't happen to Miss R125, so it CANNOT EVER HAVE BEEN TRUE.

by Anonymousreply 12611/24/2013

It's been said before but I'll say it again: no diet sodas, they only fuel cravings for sugary food.

Also not High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS): it messes up your metabolism (as in metabolic syndrome) and are currently under investigation as one of the reason the obesity rate is much higher in the USA than in other developed countries.

I would advice a lot of vegetables, only low glycemic index food (again to not fuel cravings for sweet food). A survey among 83 818 women has also showed that - counter-intuitively - the more people eat peanut butter, the less they put on weight. Quite normal actually, considering that peanut butter has one of the lowest glycemic index and full of fibers. See link below.

Also: eat slowly! Since your brain will not receive the satiety signal before at least half an hour, you may want to have eaten only 600 kcalories in the meantime instead of 2000!

Here's what works for me when I need to lose some weight (I'm 45 too): I take a table spoon full of peanut butter 30-45 minutes before I go to lunch/diner. By this time my brain is already processing something along: "I am actually not that hungry: let's take the salad instead of the french fries".

by Anonymousreply 12711/24/2013

Everyone is different R125. You and your mother must have better genes than OP! My brother eats twice as much as me and he's only skin and bones.

OTOH scientific publications have shown over and over that diet soda and metabolic syndrome are linked. For the majority of people...

by Anonymousreply 12811/24/2013

Oops, the parsing engine has broken my link. Better luck this time?

by Anonymousreply 12911/24/2013

Don't poster here at DL for feedback. Nothing worse than advice from armchair nutritionists. Get a real one and join some sort of support group.

by Anonymousreply 13011/24/2013

The OP is that fucking moron who thinks all rape victims are lying cunts?

Have some more fries, OP, and some cake. You know you want it, go ahead and have it.

by Anonymousreply 13111/24/2013

How's the diet going, OP? You stayin' away from them cakes and pies?

by Anonymousreply 13211/24/2013

OP, were you sexually abused as a child? That's behind a lot of obesity.

by Anonymousreply 13311/24/2013

Don't mind R133. She's been reading Goop lately.

by Anonymousreply 13411/24/2013

[quote]Here's what works for me when I need to lose some weight (I'm 45 too): I take a table spoon full of peanut butter 30-45 minutes before I go to lunch/diner. By this time my brain is already processing something along: "I am actually not that hungry: let's take the salad instead of the french fries

I have a salad before a lot of meals. The key is never let yourself start eating a large meal when you are absolutely starving, you will make bad decisions.

by Anonymousreply 13511/24/2013

OP take a look at all of the suggestions here and try a bunch of stuff until you find something that works for you. One of my coworkers went from 420 to 195. He eats LOTS of salad which I could never make myself do. Now he runs 10 miles a day, something else I could not make myself do. He joined a men's weight loss group, that was what finally worked for him and kept him motivated. He has stayed thin for over 3 years and now he is a leader of his group helping others. He preaches to them to find the healthy diet and exercise that works for them.

by Anonymousreply 13611/24/2013

[quote]He eats LOTS of salad which I could never make myself do.

Yes you can, one of the simplest and most important things you can do for your health is learn to love vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 13711/24/2013

Just remember one thing. Vegetables are our friend.

by Anonymousreply 13811/25/2013

R136 I don't like salad, either, but fresh vegetables are delicious, and even if you can't take time to prepare, there are great frozen vegetables that can be microwaved.

I get the Healthy Weight boxes and take them to work. That and a SMALL half a sandwich or small soup/noodle dish is plenty for me.

by Anonymousreply 13911/25/2013

Once you change your habits, your tastes will change, too.

People with a lot of weight to lose often try to make too many drastic changes, in an "all or nothing" type of diet. Once they slip up, they just keep sliding and have to fight the urge to just give up.

If you can just make some small changes and turn them into habits, then you can add more healthy changes. And so on.

For example, you can make over your breakfast to avoid sugary or greasy foods, focusing on nutrient-dense items. You can eat greek yogurt with fruit, nuts, and a smidge of honey. Or egg whites and wheat toast. Or a smoothie made with fat-free milk and fruit. Or toast with peanut butter. Whatever.

Once a healthy meal becomes a habit, you will feel good about that and will be inspired to reinvent your lunch. And so on.

Don't sabotage yourself by saying you will work out for hours each day, either. Start small, with exercise goals that are doable for someone at your fitness level. As others have recommended, just walking can be very effective. Take the stairs at work. Stand up and do leg lifts during the commercials when you watch TV. Whatever.

Plan your meals. Make a list when you go to the market. If you have healthy choices to eat at home, you won't need to hit the drive thrus. And after a while, fast food won't even tempt you.

by Anonymousreply 14011/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.