Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tell Me About Jscksonville FL?

I am contemplating a job transfer to Jacksonville, FL from Boston. I'm 56, a native Yankee, tired of NE winters and hankering for an adventure. The job could be really great. Here are some of my questions: - If I were to live in Jacksonville, what neighborhood would you recommend? Riverside? - St. Augustine looks really interesting and historical. Is it feasible to commute to Jacksonville from St. Augustine? - Any other thoughts/suggestions on how to get started socially in Jacksonville? Thanks everyone!

by Anonymousreply 5010/24/2013

Whoops, I just noticed my typo in the headline. Sorry... "Jacksonville".

by Anonymousreply 110/20/2013

So you want to move to the most fucked up state in the country? Best of luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 210/20/2013

ok, cunty R2

by Anonymousreply 310/20/2013

My uncle was mugged and murdered by three teens in Jacksonville.

by Anonymousreply 410/20/2013

Jacksonville will be a tough move from Boston. Boston is an educated and enlightened liberal city, Jacksonville is, well...completely the opposite.

The only place to live in Florida is south...the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area...

by Anonymousreply 510/20/2013

Listen to R5.

by Anonymousreply 610/20/2013

[quote]The only place to live in Florida is south...the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area...

What about Datalounge's official city?

by Anonymousreply 710/20/2013

If Atlanta and Tampa had a child, it would look like Jacksonville. It is a very large, sprawling Southern city with a somewhat decrepit downtown and largely suburban/exurban vibe. There is a huge military presence and the area was largely considered a Republican stronghold until recently: the current mayor is a black Democrat. There are some surprisingly good civic amenities - a wonderful central library, a very good zoo and the Cummer Museum & Gardens. If you are looking for a quiet, unfussy life with mild winter weather, you should be fine.

St. Augustine is a basically Key West for the fanny pack crowd. Lovely historical buildings now house tourist shit. The communities surrounding downtown are geared toward retirees. It is very Republican.

by Anonymousreply 810/20/2013

agreeing with R5: google kkk rallying to keep a school named after a grand wizard.

ponte verde is gated segregation

mayport is military

god forbid you need a safety net: there is none in that state.

by Anonymousreply 910/20/2013

Whenever you move away from the East, you'll have to remember that argument is seldom viewed as a conversation.

Also, please limit using the phrase "In Boston". Hometown pride is fine, but that particular phrase makes people not from Boston wonder why you ever left such a superior city.

by Anonymousreply 1010/20/2013

The company I work for has offices in Jacksonville and my boss has told me on many occasions they'd pay for me to relocate. I never will.

by Anonymousreply 1110/20/2013

R10 Florida is not "the East"? How much farther east can one go?

by Anonymousreply 1210/20/2013

St. Petersburg may be more to your liking. Everyone I meet is from MA or NY or at least it sure seems that way.

by Anonymousreply 1310/20/2013

Not hopeless, but certainly culturally disappointing. More a part of deep south Ga than Florida itself.

That said, the beach is prettier than you would think and there are a couple of good restaurants.

Ponte Vedra might be the commute worth considering, and more Yankees there as well.

by Anonymousreply 1410/20/2013

Jacksonville is more South Georgia than it is North Florida. It is a SOUTHERN city - I'm talking "hey y'all come on back, bless your heart" kind of Southern. Redneck city to the max!

by Anonymousreply 1510/20/2013

We transferred from NY to St. Simons Island, GA. Work in Jacksonville with a 45 minute ride. Okay to work in Jacksonville, but to live there, no way. It really is a shithole.

by Anonymousreply 1610/20/2013

Any DL readers who are from Jacksonville?

by Anonymousreply 1710/20/2013

I hate to be negative, but I would never move to Jacksonville. It is one of America's worst cities. If I moved there, the only way it would be tolerable would be if I knew I would be leaving there in a few years. It's just miserable.

St. Augustine is fun to visit but it smells bad there and I could not see moving there permanentl.

by Anonymousreply 1810/20/2013

You might be able to stand living in St. Augustine. Plenty of upper-middle-class people from "up North" with winter condos, etc. And the beaches are very nice.

But a word of warning that has not yet been mentioned: Jacksonville (and St. Augustine) gets cold in the winter. A few years back, there was ice (and snow flurries) in Daytona (I rode my motorcycle in it), and Daytona's about an hour SOUTH of Jacksonville.

I-4 seems to be the dividing line between cold and warm winters. If you want to be certain of having balmy (for a New Englander) winter weather, definitely move south of there.

But if I were to go back to FL, and I was from Boston, I would go to Sarasota. It's pretty laid back and well-preserved, and chock full of educated transplants and rich folks. They have a relatively upscale gay community -- and if you need to find some down-and-dirty trade types, you can always drive the hour up to "Trampa."

But I wouldn't even think of living in JAX. They don't call it "south Georgia" for nothin'.

by Anonymousreply 1910/20/2013

WhooHoo DONT DO IT! Small Gay Community. Insurance companies, Mega Baptist Churches, and I don't care about the new Mayor, though I am sure he is a terrific IMPROVEMENT.

In Jax this past year a redneck from Ga shot a young black man (sitting in his own truck) for playing his music "too loud", i.e. too urban I am sure. And I am even more certain he felt this would be perfectly acceptable in Fla.

That is two FLA Trayvon racist murders using "Stand yer chickenshit hatin racist ground" GOP gun nut law as defense. If this isnt sufficient enough reason consider that in this county State officials prosecuted a woman for firing a warning shot at her violent husband, and then was CHARGED for NOT "Standing her ground" and killing him I presume.

The only place you could possibly live is on the Beach side, Jax, Neptune and Atlantic beach. Small town. Some very nice people, but you are still in Ga. If you do move there, be sure and register as a DEMOCRAT, that state is choking on GOP policy and teabagger stupidity.

Dont kid yourself, skip it no matter how good the seafood, cold the beer. You will ALWAYS be looking for an escape. To the North, to LA, anyplace but here.

by Anonymousreply 2010/20/2013

Gateway to Lake City.

by Anonymousreply 2110/20/2013

Insurance biz??

I don't care for the place myself...north FL is way less progressive than S.FL. Also it's pretty ugly, unless you can live at the beach. The Sawgrass area is decent especially if you play a lot of golf. Otherwise Ponte Vedra is the only area I would even consider. St Augie is too far to commute, but good for weekend getaways.

The one huge positive about living here is the absence of state income tax and the ridiculously low cost of living. I guess that's TWO things eh?

You can purchase a lovely 2500 sq ft home with pool for 200K. It almost makes up for the backward ass politics. Almost! Good luck to ya.

by Anonymousreply 2210/20/2013

Okay, this is going to sound odd but you're from Boston and I think you'll understand: when you're at the beach and look out into the ocean, there is *nothing* else out there, just water. No islands. It's kind of freaky to see that blank horizon.

by Anonymousreply 2310/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 2410/20/2013

I think you're at a good age to move to a warmer climate without it just being an end of life thing. Don't know anything about Jacksonville though.

by Anonymousreply 2510/20/2013

Jacksonville is fine for middle class existence, but the wealthy are snobbish and irritating in the extreme. St. Augustine is beautiful but it is likely too far to commute - it's only 50 miles but the traffic is unbelievable.

Jacksonville is in the middle of a swamp. A major swamp where flooding, bugs, and wildlife are always an issue. The downtown is split on both sides of the St. John's River so seems even quieter than it really is. There is some poverty, and Florida in general suffers from heavy property crime, drugs, political corruption, poor planning with bad traffic, and poor construction - although some of the old stuff may be cedar and outstanding quality.

However, the schools are usually good if you have children, the people keep up with contemporary events, there is some culture, and it is relatively warm. Gardens grow luxuriantly, as do live oak trees. People are friendly.

San Marco is your bohemian neighborhood in Jax southside (avoid northside).

by Anonymousreply 2610/20/2013

Jax types who want the St. Augustine vibe without the agonizing commute choose Fernandina Beach. But it is a bit obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 2710/20/2013

San Marco link

by Anonymousreply 2810/20/2013

Jacksonville scares me, it seems violent and crackers and rednecks live there.

by Anonymousreply 2910/20/2013

It's got a decent dinner theatre.

by Anonymousreply 3010/20/2013

Jacksonville is a Southern city without the charm. Jax Beach is pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 3110/21/2013

No. No. No. No. No.

We did it for a job transfer and it was the worst years of our lives. Conservative, baptist, backwards, and republican. Many gays are still closeted, and the gay community, as a whole, is incredibly provincial.

In 2013, they still can't pass a Human Rights Ordinance. And that should tell you more about the city than anything else. As an example, when it was explained to city leaders that companies were having problems attracting talent because the city was so backwards and had no protections for gays and lesbians, the response was 'too bad', and that those companies should just move to another place.

Coming from Boston, you will experience incredible culture shock. You will be miserable.

It IS, as people have said, South Georgia.

It has an incredible Symphony (which may go under), the Cumner Museum, and some very good restaurants (shockingly good). Beyond that, it is a pit.

And Ponte Vedra is Jacksonville with money and gates. The people there are generally insufferable.

If you have kids, they need to be in the St. Johns County schools.

Housing is not as cheap as it used to be, and a 2500 sq ft house for $200k is not going to be in an area that you want to live.

If you HAVE to, move to Riverside/Avondale (in the city). It's the only bearable area. It would be great if it could be moved to another city. Artsy (to the degree anything in Jax is artsy) and gay (to the degree anything in Jax is gay.)

I could go on and on...

Horrid place. Horrid.

DO NOT move to Jacksonville.

by Anonymousreply 3210/21/2013

Is R19 Lesbeau?

by Anonymousreply 3310/21/2013

I always think of it as a pit of ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 3410/21/2013

Are you saying Jacksonville has no barrier islands?

by Anonymousreply 3510/21/2013

LOTS of married Navy cock to be had...

by Anonymousreply 3610/21/2013

[quote]Okay, this is going to sound odd but you're from Boston and I think you'll understand: when you're at the beach and look out into the ocean, there is *nothing* else out there, just water. No islands. It's kind of freaky to see that blank horizon.

by Anonymousreply 3710/21/2013

Jax has Amelia Island.

by Anonymousreply 3810/21/2013

R5 is correct.

Not only is Jacksonville the Deep South, it's a military town. My idiot cousin located there from Boston ten years ago and LOVES it. By idiot, I mean a 40 years old that acts like a 16 year old.

by Anonymousreply 3910/21/2013

How are the blacks?

Are they counter-racist, and crime-y?

by Anonymousreply 4010/21/2013

OP, you will be amongst the endless numbers of Yankees who move to Florida and end up disappointed. Please save yourself the trouble, the warm weather is the only thing you will get out of the deal and there are other places you can go for that. Im a native Floridian and have to hear transplants bitch and complain about Florida all the time, even though they have been told time and time again about how difficult in can be to live here.

by Anonymousreply 4110/21/2013

No Saks, no Neimans, no Nordstrom. Even the nearest Macy's is 90 miles away in Gainesville (it's the only metropolitan area in the top 50 without a Macy's, that ought to tell you something right there).

by Anonymousreply 4210/21/2013

r40 Most of black people in Jacksonville are divided into two large groups: Those that are ghetto, and the church going more conservative blacks that vote for Democrats, but dont associate themselves with gay people. A lot of college educated black people that might be from other states. Ex military. Many Katrina transplants that landed there from New Orleans. Ive never hooked up with a guy from there, but it seems like there would be a lot of married closeted black men there like Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 4310/21/2013

I'd have to chime in with a big "no" on this idea as well. I spent 8 months in Jax for work and was shocked at how awful it was.

The positives: 1) The weather. I was commuting to Jax from NY (where I live) every Monday from September to late April. It was always amazing to step into warm air in December, January, February.

2) A surprisingly decent bathhouse. Certainly better than anything in NY (what is up with that, btw?). And I met a few generally nice guys there that I still keep in touch with.

The negatives: 1) Horrible people 2) Visibly depressing level of poverty among the very large black community. 3) A lot of the whites aren't doing much better. 4) Racism and homophobia pretty much the norm. Within about five minutes of meeting my main contact at the client company he said "yeah, it's nice here in Jax. The N*s and the queers know their place and don't make a lot of noise and get all in your face like they do down in SoFla." He was about 30. 5) It's pretty ugly. The beaches ARE gorgeous, but that's about it.

Stay in Boston. If Florida is the dream, work on finding work in Miami / Lauderdale; Tampa / St. Pete / Sarasota / or maybe Orlando. Personally I'd only be interested in Lauderdale from that bunch, but I think the other cities can lend themselves to building a nice little gay life as well. But Jax? Now fucking way.

by Anonymousreply 4410/21/2013

I am a native Floridian from South Florida. NO NO NO to Jax. It is 1 of the entrances to hell.

by Anonymousreply 4510/21/2013

Well, are you going, OP?

by Anonymousreply 4610/21/2013

OP, we are not kidding. OP? OP? LOL.

That first 4th of July sitting and watching the pathetic firework display after the Boston Pop World Class production will send you packin the next day.

by Anonymousreply 4710/22/2013

OP here... I owe a huge thank you to all of you. Today I received an email telling me that I didn't get the job, I felt... relief. Thanks again for all your feedback. I will keep thinking about finding my way to Sarasota some day, though.

by Anonymousreply 4810/22/2013

Sorry (and congratulations), OP.

by Anonymousreply 4910/22/2013

Too bad, OP, you could have seen me in The Sound of Music at the Alhambra Dinner Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 5010/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!