Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It's time to stock up for winter -- what are your favorite frozen and refrigerated items?

As the weather gets cold, I tend to go out less.

I have a weekend home where it is hard for me to keep fresh items, so I'm stocking up on items from Trader Joe's and other places that will keep for a month or two.

For example, I love TJ's frozen blueberry scones. 30 minutes in the oven and they're fresh baked delicious.

I know my cousin freezes blocks of chicken stock for use in his vacation home, for use in scrambled eggs, etc.

Do you have any other tricks and tips?

by Anonymousreply 12110/26/2013

Dried beans, frozen vegetables, frozen fruits and less white flour scones.

by Anonymousreply 110/20/2013

Chicken stock in scrambled eggs?

Surely you are mistaken.

by Anonymousreply 210/20/2013

I'mma make Bolognese today. Don't know that it'll make it to the freezer, but it might become part of a lasagne I'll freeze.

by Anonymousreply 310/20/2013

OP, you type fat.

by Anonymousreply 410/20/2013

I doubt OP is fat. Trader Joe's shoppers are among the healthiest around.

by Anonymousreply 510/20/2013

I live in Newport Beach, CA - so I have no idea what you are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 610/20/2013

R4, you type manorexic.

by Anonymousreply 710/20/2013

A big pot of gravy for pasta, along with meatballs and Italian sausages, fried up and ready to go. Half of my excellent chili recipe. Chicken stock. Poached chicken breasts. Coupla' meat loaves. A few jars of homemade ketchup and chili sauce. Pesto.

by Anonymousreply 810/20/2013

today making:

chicken cacciatore in the slow cooker (freezing two portions and eating one tomorrow)

Cauliflower Puree (I low carb so make this like mashed potatoes)and freeze in 2 serving portions.

Cilantro Rice (ala chipotle) Make and freeze in 2 serving bags.

Fish soup- (a chowder - freeze in 4 serving containers) - freezing w/o the cream. once I defrost I will add cream.

by Anonymousreply 910/20/2013

Why would you have factory made, deep frozen scones that take 30 minutes to bake and are not fresh, just cryogenic zombie scones, when you can bake fresh home made ones in 12-14 minutes, that only take 5 minutes to make ?

Is life going to be all about processed packaged foods ?

by Anonymousreply 1110/20/2013

I've started my stock up the freezer since it's getting colder out. I make my own stuff. Won't touch frozen dinner from anybody.

I usually start off by making a huge pot of tomato sauce. I'll divide it into 3 batches and turn one into a meat sauce I'll use for making lasagne. I'll use another batch and throw in some meatballs. The third batch I'll use for stuff like ravioli or chicken park.

I made a batch of beef stew this week. It was the first thing I made in a crock pot I bought a few weeks ago. Best I ever made. My recipe makes about 4 meals for about $8.

I do homemade chicken soup using either rice or pasta.

Around Thanksgiving and Christmas I'll buy turkey on sale and turn the leftovers into turkey soup.

I've been buying those foil containers with lids and have also been making and freezing meatloaves and baked ziti. Right now I have 2 lasagne in the freezer.

I also make the filling for chicken pot pie. I'll freeze that in several batches and use in those frozen pie shells.

I try to decide what to make around what's on sale. I'll spend a crappy day cooking 3 or 4 of these things since most of them require a decent amount of prep work and similar ingredients like carrots--may as well chop the whole bag and use them all.

I always have something in the freezer that I can have for dinner when I don't feel like cooking. Cooking a bunch of stuff at once means one cleanup rather than multiple cleanups. I also control what's going into these meals rather than eating high sodium frozen dinners.

by Anonymousreply 1210/20/2013

You've never shopped before in winter, OP?

Here's a tip - buy foods that you like to eat.

by Anonymousreply 1310/20/2013

Do gay bears hibernate too?

by Anonymousreply 1410/20/2013

R12, if you don't mind me asking, what brand slow cooker did you buy?

TIA

by Anonymousreply 1510/20/2013

Stouffer's baby. The best mac and cheese and lasagna you can get. Stouffer's!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1610/20/2013

Pretty much what r12 said. I cook on Sundays. I freeze things year round but less so in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 1710/20/2013

R15, I got a Crock Pot.

Was on sale at Target for $35,

I feel like a newbie suburban frau trying to figure it out and what I can do with it, but the 2 dishes I made in it both came out great.

by Anonymousreply 1810/20/2013

[quote]A big pot of gravy for pasta

R8, where are you from that you call it "gravy"? I'm from NJ, where I knew many Italians, one in particular my father would pay to make us pasta, but I never heard of sauce being called "gravy" before the internet.

by Anonymousreply 1910/20/2013

YUCK R16 that's if you like mushy pasta and MSG.

by Anonymousreply 2010/20/2013

I hate the "You MUST make everything yourself and make it every day because it's so goddamn fucking easy" Troll. I swear, you're a housefrau from hell.

I'm a scratch baker and a good cook. There is not a damn thing wrong with frozen scones (or frozen anything) sometimes. There's no measuring, mixing, rolling or kitchen clean up beyond the one sheet pan you used.

When I don't feel like cooking, I don't cook and I don't need a nanny-goat guilt trip over it. How about you get off everyone's ass, anon and anal asshole?

by Anonymousreply 2110/20/2013

R12 I like how you think and do much of the same. However, I would never use tin containers. They are toxic. Just as I'd never use any canned goods. Invest in some pyrex bowls with glass and plastic covers. Freeze using the plastic, heat using the glass, obviously.

OP, I hope you take the advise here. Processed foods are anti-foods. It doesn't take much more time to mass produce sauces, soups and casseroles and it's a pleasure (not to mention the health benefits) to be able to pop dinner in the oven when you're too tired to cook.

I would add that you might go to your butcher and buy chicken cutlets, steaks or whatever and spend an hour cleaning, portioning and bagging it all for the freezer. Fresh veggies too. Blanch them first. Don't forget to sharpie the date. Bon appetite!

by Anonymousreply 2210/20/2013

r19 I'm Italian and over here in Philadelphia, maybe even just across the river from you? Internet,schminternet! Gravy it was, is and always shall be. You wouldn't argue with my nonna, would you? There's always been a controversy over what to call it, and it's been going on for years. My grandmother never explained WHY it's gravy, it just was. For me, gravy implies that meat was used in the making of it. Many Italians, when they make a pot of gravy(or sauce, if you prefer?) have some sort of meat in it. Marinara sauce is always referred to as SAUCE, because there isn't any meat in it. Don't go by what Ragu and Prego and Francesco Rinaldi says on their labels. I just made some sausage and peppers, bring rolls and you can have some.

by Anonymousreply 2310/20/2013

Frozen asparagus. I think Ina said it was the only decent frozen vegie so I tried it and agree. I always have 4 or 5 bags in the deep freeze.

by Anonymousreply 2410/20/2013

Hi, R23. I'm actually in Pittsburgh now, so across the state rather than the river. I grew up in North Jersey rather than the Phila suburbs, not that that would necessarily have any bearing. My grandmother's next-door neighbor was from Naples, I think, FWIW.

I have never in my adult life owned a jar of Ragu or Prego, TYVM, and I've never even heard of Francesco Rinaldi.

Where do you buy the sausage you use for S&P? Down on 9th Street? Dare I ask if you make your own? (I have, with my friend Cristina. So good.)

by Anonymousreply 2510/20/2013

Hey r21, thanks for attributing all those characteristics to me... Shame you're so wrong, and a shame also that you don't actually answer my question: why would you buy frozen processed food which takes longer to cook than making the same thing (that would be really easy to make) from scratch? Sorry, but the scratch baker and good cook you claim to be needs to do more than bake from frozen to deserve that description.... But look how crazed you get over a word of criticism... Maybe it's the crap in all your processed food ?

by Anonymousreply 2610/20/2013

Anybody feel like sharing some recipes?

by Anonymousreply 2710/20/2013

r25 I actually HAVE made sausage a few times, it's not all that difficult. 9th Street's OK, but believe it or not, my favorite brand of Italian sausage is HATFIELD'S. The meat is more finely ground than other brands, and their spice mixture is JUST right. It's still got fennel in it, which some folks object to. A lot of the sausage manufacturers have omitted the fennel from their product. Sweet sausage, peppers, onions, garlic, various herbs and spices, white wine, etc. and you've got yourself a real treat.

by Anonymousreply 2810/20/2013

The frozen Trader Joe's scones taste much better than Sticky Fingers mix. Fresher moister blueberries, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2910/20/2013

Holiday grapes. I know but I keep them in the refrigerator. I've been buying two big bags a week.

by Anonymousreply 3010/20/2013

Why does winter automatically mean refrigerated and frozen foods?

by Anonymousreply 3110/20/2013

R28, oh, I love the fennel. That was the best part about making sausage with Cristina. Mmm-mmm-mmm-mmm-mmm.

by Anonymousreply 3210/20/2013

tricks and tips: Bundle up. Move your fat ass off the couch. Go to store. Buy stuff. Return home and eat it. You're not a bear going into hibernation. The stores will be open, even if it snows.

by Anonymousreply 3310/20/2013

r31 Go shopping in any grocery store in western Pennsylvania in the month of January and you would know the answer to your question.

by Anonymousreply 3410/20/2013

R33 sounds like one of those people who like winter, so he thinks everyone else should, too. What a fucking idiot he is. I hate winter, and the fewer times I have to go to the store, the better. So fuck you and your fat ass, supercilious, condescending cunt who calls itself R33. May you slip and fall numerous times this coming winter.

by Anonymousreply 3510/20/2013

Thanks R12/R18. That's a good price. Maybe I'll get one. I had a Cuisinart one but it heated too high even on low and everything got tough. Maybe this one is different.

by Anonymousreply 3610/20/2013

Defensive, -r35-? Wow. A person doesn't have to 'like' winter to go out and interact in it. It's a fact of life for much of the country and most people take it in stride. Why barricade yourself?

by Anonymousreply 3710/21/2013

From New Jersey with Italian husband..."gravy" all the way...took me a long time to get used to since I am a Wasp thar grew up on pot roast and Ragu...

by Anonymousreply 3810/21/2013

R37 while I (not OP) do not barricade myself. Winter is so fucking painful and unpleasant I do go out less.

However my freezer and cupboards are already full of summer's bounty.

by Anonymousreply 3910/21/2013

'Summer's Bounty' -- MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 4010/21/2013

Kimchi, Sauerkraut and apples. Apples keep for months and are handy to add fresh fruit to so many dishes. Waldorf salad among them.

by Anonymousreply 4110/21/2013

Wow. Do now we start threads that are basically grocery lists. Last week we had one about cleaning your bathroom?

What's next? How do you sort your laundry? How do you vacuum your carpets?

by Anonymousreply 4210/21/2013

[quote]Apples keep for months

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 4310/21/2013

Again, reading comprehension-impaired R37, because I. Hate. Winter.

I hate cold, and want to be cold as little as I possibly can.

I hate snow. I hate gray (it's phenomenally gray where I live in winter). I hate ice (this, I understand, gets worse as you get older, and, well, I have gotten older.

And I don't need to justify myself to you with your silliness about barricading myself. It's not defensiveness. It's simply a matter of fact: I hate winter.

by Anonymousreply 4410/21/2013

r32 If you like fennel as much as I do, ask your friend Cristina if she ever makes TARALLI(taralles) They are very firm, bread-y "pretzels", with fennel worked into the dough. Around here you can buy them. I buy a few things from Penzey's(an online spice and herb seller) their Italian Sausage blend is awfully good. Fennel is easy to grow, just toss out some seeds in the Spring, and you'll have great big plants by end of Summer, and they re-seed like crazy.

by Anonymousreply 4610/21/2013

r38 Welcome to the family. How's your bracchiole?

by Anonymousreply 4710/21/2013

R11, yes, if OP is a shill. I've been cynical about whether these positions existed and they trolled the internet posting paid advertisements for their products. But that fresh-baked nonsense just really made me question OP's motives. The good news is that the regular joes took over the thread and turned it into an actual discussion.

by Anonymousreply 4810/21/2013

OP: If you sit around inside all winter, feeling glum and shoveling high-fat/high-cal food into your face, can you even GET OUT of your house when it's spring? I mean, do you put on 400 lbs? Begs the question about why you live where you do, if it's a place where crappy weather makes you basically stop living a normal life for 6-7 months every year. Don't you have a work? Do you use the weather challenge as an excuse to just let yourself go?

by Anonymousreply 4910/21/2013

Do you give up on 1.) bathing 2.) opening the doors because you hate being cold? Eeek. I'd hate to smell all the methane-trapped-for-months in your place!

by Anonymousreply 5010/21/2013

How in the world does one secure farm-fresh butter during the bitter winter months?

by Anonymousreply 5110/21/2013

[R43] That is right, if refrigerated. Especially hard tart apples like granny smith.

I am sure you won't believe this, I just started buying apples and making apple sauce. I do this every year. I found some apples, lost in the garage refrigerator. The red ones were not in the best shape, parts of them were useable. The green ones were a bit shriveled but I put the green ones in my first batch of sauce. Those apples had been in the fridge for at least 6 months and likely a bit longer. I grew up on a farm, we had a root cellar full of potatoes, apples, pears, rutabaga, turnips, carrots and turnips. It's called cold storage.

Buy some fresh cranberries and freeze. They are versatile so nice to add to things. Winter squash keep for several months if kept cool and dry.

by Anonymousreply 5210/21/2013

What made you assume R37 R49 R33, et al., that I sit in my house all winter? I do everything everyone else does, it's just that I hate having to do it in cold weather.

by Anonymousreply 5310/21/2013

r51 One makes it at home.

by Anonymousreply 5410/21/2013

It's actually pretty easy to make butter. You throw an amount of cream that won't overload it in your Cuisinart, and cuise until you have butter.

Don't overcuise.

by Anonymousreply 5510/21/2013

A test test of 5 different brands of frozen blueberry scones at the link below.

Trader Joe's comes in last:

"Finally, Trader Joe's ($3.99/four scones) came in fifth. "Flavor not distinctly good or bad," said one panelist. Others called these scones "dense," with a "coarser texture." None of the tasters would buy this brand."

by Anonymousreply 5610/21/2013

A bunch of pearl-clutching, coffee-cradlin' cozy-makin' hosers that turn into fussy, 'the sky is falling' grannies as they face winter and (OH-MY-GOD!!!!) a little nip in the air. So very interesting to read the various ins and outs of making apple sauce! Apple Jack? Maybe.....

by Anonymousreply 5710/21/2013

[quote]However, I would never use tin containers. They are toxic. Just as I'd never use any canned goods.

Oh, brother. Links please! More Mommyblog Madness-Food Hysteria. No thanks, I'm still waiting for all those GMO corn deaths I was promised!

by Anonymousreply 5810/21/2013

R57 Why do you care so much about what [italic]other people[/italic] think about [italic]the weather[/italic]?

I can hardly think of anything less worthy of the snit you've created.

by Anonymousreply 5910/21/2013

Yeah --- MARY!!!!! This whole conversation is so twee it makes me want to barf. Strap some snow shoes on, OP, and face the cold. Work off some blubber! Get some fresh air, instead of breathing your own beef stew stank!!! Take a walk on the wild side and open a CAN of something and ... eat it!

by Anonymousreply 6010/21/2013

My favorite refrigerated item is beer.

by Anonymousreply 6110/21/2013

r58, there has been a suspected link between aluminum and Alzheimers for many years. I personally don't want to chance it so freeze everything in glass pyrex dishes. I cover the top with a piece of was paper or parchment and then put on the plastic lid. Freezing stuff in plastic containers or baggies is supposedly toxic as well.

by Anonymousreply 6210/21/2013

Gosh, you are special.

by Anonymousreply 6310/21/2013

You really have lost your mind, R60 R57 R51 R50 R49 R40 R37 R33.

Are the few friends you cling to IRL required to do everything the way you do it, or you'll say vicious, cuntescent things to and about them?

Don't stroke out, bitch. We're just people you're never actually going to meet.

by Anonymousreply 6410/21/2013

[quote] Wow. Do now we start threads that are basically grocery lists.

Are you kidding? For years we've had food trolls. Eg:

"I just bought 57 lbs of cabbage, what can I make? Recipes please."

"Salmon was on sale, so I bought a lot of it. What should I do? Please give me all your salmon recipes.'

"Here's what I have in my pantry (Lists food items). What do you have in your pantry. What are you going to make?"

"I'm having a dinner party! I have no idea what to do. Help! What should I make? What appetizers, main meal and dessert? How should I make it? What should I serve for people to drink?"

I really get a kick out of the one who posts about buying a shitload of a certain food "because it was on sale" and then has no idea what to do with it. Like a crow who takes shiny things back to the nest.

I think it's a compulsion. "Must start food thread on datalounge. Must ask for recipes." S/he really didn't buy all that food and isn't having a dinner party. It's just a compulsion to talk about food. I worked with middle aged ladies years ago in a back office when I was a teen. All they ever talked about was food. "What are you having for lunch? What are you making for dinner? Are you making dessert? I went out to dinner Saturday and this is what I had (long-winded description followed). You know what my mother used to make from the old country? (Another long-winded discussion)"

They never tired of food talk.

by Anonymousreply 6510/21/2013

Let's please talk some more about doing delicious things with Summer's Bounty.

by Anonymousreply 6610/21/2013

Does anyone know how to manage a proper pudding?

by Anonymousreply 6710/21/2013

DLers: Can cake balls be made in advance and frozen? Imagine having a good stash of them for the long, dreary winter nights!

by Anonymousreply 6810/21/2013

This thread took a turn for the hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 6910/21/2013

What a collection of loons on this thread. Who knew the subject of food storage would awaken the unhinged?

Anyway, this blog has some good tips for preserving things from the garden or from your farmers market.

by Anonymousreply 7010/21/2013

R26, I answered all of your questions in my original post at R21. Please re-read it, or don't.

I enjoy cooking when I enjoy cooking and that's most of the time. Sometimes, I prefer something quick, easy, ready to go, that won't require clean up.

I know, phony-Goop-wannabe, that's outside your realm of understanding but the rest of us, the humans, we all understand it.

You're a zealot and zealots of any kind are not to be trusted, nor should anyone listen to them.

by Anonymousreply 7110/21/2013

Ok, enough about your philosophy and stuff. I wanna hear more about Summer's Bounty!!!!! Can you make graxy out of it???

by Anonymousreply 7210/21/2013

White Castle.

by Anonymousreply 7310/21/2013

Please consider trundling out of your precious larder (there's a reason they call it that, BTW) and think about volunteering to do something delicious for someone else. You seem very anxious, defensive and overly focused on stockpiling your food. Winter is coming; not the end of the world.

by Anonymousreply 7410/21/2013

Pillsbury's Golden Layers Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits...stock up now...they always sell out before Thanksgiving.

No holiday table is complete without them.

by Anonymousreply 7510/21/2013

Stock up for winter? Seems strange and sounds old fashioned. I just shop as normal during winter.

by Anonymousreply 7610/21/2013

R52, I didn't realize until recently that homemade applesauce can be frozen. I put 2 cup batches in zip-lock plastic freezer bags, which lie flat & don't take up a lot of room. R62 thinks this may be toxic, but I'm so old that kind of thing hardly matters at this point.

by Anonymousreply 7710/21/2013

I like to have a few packages of mashed squash in my freezer. It makes wonderful soup. Every time I make it, I put in different ingredients - sometimes frozen chopped cauliflower and curry, sometimes shredded carrots and nutmeg, both thinned with half and half if I want it to be rich or, if I'm being good I'll use fat free condensed milk. I also like to make it with apple cider and shredded apples and some cream. I can make up enough for a couple of main dish bowls. If I'm feeling industrious, I'll actually boil, mash and freeze my own squash.

I also do lots of chicken stews and pasta sauces in the slow cooker and put them in the freezer

by Anonymousreply 7810/21/2013

I just got a recipe for apple butter made in a slow cooker. Can't wait to try that. Also, I'll be making baked beans this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 7910/21/2013

R75, this is something I've done for a number of years. I'm not even sure why I started it, although I suspect that it started during the first time I went through some lean times.

I like the idea of having a freezer full of comfort food that I can heat up on cold days or days when the weather is bad so I don't have to go out.

by Anonymousreply 8010/21/2013

[R64]

You seem to have lost your mind. You had nothing to say and look at the time and effort you put in listing all those responses

by Anonymousreply 8110/21/2013

Trader Joe's two-buck chuck. Just popped one out of the freezer for spaghetti.

by Anonymousreply 8210/21/2013

R82 I noticed last time I was in TJ's they raised the price of 2BC to $2.49! Heresy!

R78 I have some squash in my freezer from last fall (sugar pie pumpkin, butternut, acorn). I roasted it then scooped the flesh and bagged it. But when I thawed it out, it was very grainy and not nice at all. What should I do differently?

by Anonymousreply 8310/21/2013

Whatever happened to basking in the warmth of good friends and meeting somewhere for dinner? Geez, I get the idea of stocking up a bit on things for snow days and things, but making a freaking fetish out of it sounds like catastrophic thinking. I'd get tired of staying cooped up in my house, sucking crap out of plastic bags.

by Anonymousreply 8410/21/2013

[quote]Yeah --- MARY!!!!! This whole conversation is so twee it makes me want to barf.

So, r60 calls someone "Mary" and goes on say the conversation is "so twee."

LMFAO

by Anonymousreply 8510/21/2013

Summer's Bounty:

For those special moments when you just want that clean,fresh feeling.

by Anonymousreply 8610/21/2013

I am usually very crabby, but I will admit to really enjoying the food/cooking/recipe threads. I'm broke and have been cooking more than I have in my life this year.

Yes, I do think those Pillsbury Buttermilk Rolls would work for my rejected yet satisfying Warm White Chocolate Raspberry Shortcake recipe from that other thread! Thanks for asking!

by Anonymousreply 8710/22/2013

R58 Good luck with that. Eat shit for all I care. Oh, and google is your friend, you lazy bastard.

by Anonymousreply 8810/22/2013

I already said everything I have to say about this, R89. Clearly, you are unable to comprehend anything rational, another tiresome characteristic of the zealot.

From what you write, I take it that you are a fatty, or a reformed fatty, who has taken refuge in some sort of food-religion. Sad, but I suppose it's the best you can manage.

I am now bored with you so I will allow you to have the last word.

Enjoy it, dear.

by Anonymousreply 9010/22/2013

I'm not sure, R83 because that has never happened to me but I'm wondering if it had a lot of liquid. When I roast the squash to freeze it, I cube it first to maximize the area for caramelization. When I boil it, I always mash it and put it into a colander to drain for a bit before bagging it and freezing.

by Anonymousreply 9210/22/2013

Our beautiful Madeleine.

by Anonymousreply 9310/22/2013

I am finding (most of) this thread very helpful. This summer, I moved to an actual mountain top and now have to seriously consider how and what to stock up on since I've been told it will be difficult to navigate roads up here in winter weather. Thanks to this thread, a Crock Pot is definitely in my future.

by Anonymousreply 9410/22/2013

Laura, you're meant to be on the prairie, not up a mountain!

by Anonymousreply 9510/22/2013

[quote]I just shop as normal during winter.

Depending on where people live, that's not always possible.

Someone in the Midwest or East on top of a mountain or at the end of a long dirt road in an unincorporated area of a city that won't send a snowplow beyond its boundaries often can't leave the house for days.

I used to live in the middle of a small NE town across the street from a supermarket but I couldn't make it that far during one of the periodic roaring blizzards that lasted most of the day.

I have friends who live in the mountains near San Francisco & are isolated by flooded roads & mudslides every winter.

Even when you can get out, you might prefer not to if you're feeling sick.

Stocking up for winter is a good idea in many parts of the country.

by Anonymousreply 9610/22/2013

Most modern humans "stock up" for a blizzard a few days before the blizzard. They don't fill a freezer with frozen food in October. And most people have jobs they go to in the winter, same as they go to in spring, summer and fall.

My aunt and uncle retired to a mountain top in upstate New York where the winter temperature was sometimes -30. They stocked up on firewood, but shopped in winter the same way they did in summer. People put a plow on the front of their vehicles, though my uncle didn't have to because one of their neighbors always cleared their (huge, uphill) driveway before it stopped snowing. My best childhood friend lives in Maine, has a Subaru forester and has no problems with going out in winter to work, to drive the kids around, etc. the only time they ever had a problem was after an ice storm about 15 years ago. But they knew it was coming. They were without electricity for quite a while, but everyone up there has wood burning stoves.

by Anonymousreply 9710/22/2013

[R83] Mashed squash freezes well. Growing conditions determine how the winter squash turns out. When conditions are wet, the squash is watery and grainy. I buy the butternut squash and sometimes grow them. After they mature on the vine they need to be left in the garden until the stem drys up. Then they need to be stored in a dry place for 6 weeks for the sugars to develop.

It is always a toss up if they will have what is the ultimate in a winter squash. They are most often hit and miss fresh. Some friends have been giving me some from their garden and they are the best I have ever eaten. The ones I grew last year were like you describe.

What I am trying to tell you is, the squash your froze was likely not that good in the first place.

When I need butternut squash for a dinner or dessert and don't want to take a chance, I buy the frozen which in reality is cheaper and much easier to use and it always has that famous butternut flavor.

by Anonymousreply 9810/22/2013

It's not about whether you will have the opportunity to shop - it's about having warm, winter comfort food. In the summer when I get home from work, I'm happy with some sliced tomatoes and cukes and maybe some cheese and crackers. Whatever it is, it will be light and cool and easy to prepare. During the winter I crave soups and stews and shepherd's pie - stuff that requires long prep time. When you spend that kind of time preparing lovely food, you might as well prepare enough for a few meals. It really isn't that much more work once you've gotten started.

by Anonymousreply 9910/22/2013

Trader Joe's Black Bean & Cheese Taquitos

HEAVEN

by Anonymousreply 10010/22/2013

R79, I'd like to see your recipe for crockpot apple butter. I lost my great recipe that produced very dark rich results. Nothing I've seen since has really appealed to me.

by Anonymousreply 10110/22/2013

Slow Cooker Apple Butter

Yield: 4 pints

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 12 hours

Total Time: 12 hours 30 minutes

Ingredients:

6½ pounds apples, peeled, cored and sliced

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup light brown sugar

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

½ teaspoon ground nutmeg

¼ teaspoon ground cloves

¼ teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Place apples in slow cooker. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Sprinkle over the apples and stir gently to combine. Cook on low for 10 hours.

2. Stir in vanilla extract, breaking up any large chunks of apples that remain. Cover and cook for an additional 2 hours.

3. Remove cover and use an immersion blender to puree the apple butter until completely smooth. (Alternately, you could puree in batches in a food processor or regular blender.) If you want the apple butter thicker, you can continue to cook it on low with the lid of the slow cooker slightly ajar so that steam can escape.

4. Allow the mixture to cool, then spoon into jars and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, or freeze for up to 2 months.

by Anonymousreply 10210/22/2013

Sounds great, R102. I'll try it -- thanks very much.

by Anonymousreply 10310/22/2013

[quote]I used to live in the middle of a small NE town across the street from a supermarket but I couldn't make it that far during one of the periodic roaring blizzards that lasted most of the day.

r96 runs calling "Wildfire!"

by Anonymousreply 10410/22/2013

So r102 are you browneyedbaker or just cut n pasting from her site ?

The internet isn't a printing press, it's a photocopier. Without attribution.

by Anonymousreply 10510/23/2013

R102 be warned that is a revolting amount of sugar. Try 1/4 cup and taste before you add that diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 10610/23/2013

That's what I was thinking, r106. Always easier to sweeten it up later. The vanilla will accentuate any natural sweetness in the apples.

by Anonymousreply 10710/23/2013

You are absolutely correct, R105, I should have given Brown Eyed Baker credit for the recipe but I had already copied it into my recipe file and I forgot that I got it from her. And I will keep that in mind, R106, it does sound like a lot of sugar.

by Anonymousreply 10810/23/2013

Wow. R56, I'm surprised at that rating. I'll investigate the others.

by Anonymousreply 10910/25/2013

I just love how my simple question about food has attracted the proselytizers and the unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 11010/25/2013

r110 Pray, do tell us, which of those two categories do YOU fall into?

by Anonymousreply 11110/25/2013

As a smug Californian, I love this time of year when the East Coasties start talking about surviving winter on the DL.

It reminds me of how boring our weather is here and makes me envious of the seasonal changes you must endure. It really sounds fun.

My nephew moved back East on a grad school scholarship at an Ivy thingie over the summer. The kid has never owned a pair of underwear or anything heavier than a hoodie. This morning he was bitching online about how it never got past the 40's where he lives today and that he will die soon. He does not own a jacket and has never seen snow, except on TV.

He could have gone to UC San Diego but was arrogant about doing the Ivy League scene.

I don't know what he's going to eat. We have fresh strawberries and avocadoes year round. He knows how to walk up to a truck and order a burrito but can't cook. The only thing we've ever keep in the freezer is ice for Margaritas.

He was a handsome jock who became a skinny, idealistic vegan. My prediction is that by November, he'll come off the fence about his asexuality and will find a local boyfriend or girlfriend who will feed him and take him shopping at Goodwill for some Winter Clothes. Or, he'll beg to come home to his gay uncle who has already rented out his room.

It's going to be a fun season. Maybe I should send him a crock pot and some recipes from this thread.

by Anonymousreply 11210/25/2013

This weekend I'm making a huge crockpot of vegetable soup. Freezes beautifully and I'll eat on it the next week or so.

by Anonymousreply 11310/25/2013

Pressure cookers are the answer. I threw my slow cooker out.

by Anonymousreply 11410/26/2013

you can make ice cubes from lemon juice,same with herbs, all types of peppers-sweet and hot freeze well.

by Anonymousreply 11510/26/2013

The anger in this thread is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 11610/26/2013

Pathmark had porn loin for $1.58 per pound. I got a four pound roast and threw it in the crock pot with some onions and homemade bbq sauce. Pulled pork sarnies for supper.

by Anonymousreply 11710/26/2013

I'm planning to make Marcella Hazan's pork loin braised in milk soon, in honor of her passing. First course will be either her minestrone or lasagne Bolognese (there's something that freezes nicely). Then the pork with some Broccoli Romana. Then a salad dressed the way Marcella did it, and IDKW for dessert.

by Anonymousreply 11810/26/2013

Amen, r114 , pressure cookers are great. I use mine all the time for all sorts of recipes.

HOWEVER, you can't load your pressure cooker, turn it on, and head off to work, now can you?

You need to be there when you are using your pressure cooker … just in case.

by Anonymousreply 11910/26/2013

Don't you think the slow cooker pulls all the moisture out of the meat while the pressure cooker does not? It seems to me that anything you'd cook all day in a slow cooker can be done in less than an hour in a pressure cooker with a better result.

by Anonymousreply 12010/26/2013

R120: I've never noticed either one have noticeably juicier (or conversely, drier) results.

Could be my recipes though.

by Anonymousreply 12110/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.