Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

In Istanbul the Starbucks and McDonalds are filled with Americans

In some cases waiting in line outside to get in.

If you want a taste of home, stay home.

Fortunately there are not many chains here and it still has mostly local places but come on a little.

by Anonymousreply 5010/20/2013

Haha. Same in Lisbon. Lisbon has plenty of affordable, very good cafes, yet you will still find the ugly Starbucks packed with Americans.

We had a wonderful breakfast at the historical cafe at link, we were practically the only customers there.

by Anonymousreply 110/20/2013

I ate tons of Turkish food the tw weeks I was there, but I have to say I visited Wendy's in Istanbul and I learned a fascinating thing; they put their fries ON their burgers, in addition to eating them separately. Now, that is how I like burgers too. Sounds gross or weird? Try it.

by Anonymousreply 210/20/2013

I wonder if the Starbucks in Istanbul serves Turkish coffee?

by Anonymousreply 310/20/2013

Oh, hush, OP. Maybe some people want the culture, but not the diarrhea.

by Anonymousreply 410/20/2013

R4 are they humans or precious moments figurines?

by Anonymousreply 510/20/2013

When I'm in Europe I go to both Starbucks and McDonalds because I know there's free internet there.

I guess of that makes me a hick . . .

by Anonymousreply 610/20/2013

OP, what's the issue? You need to see more Americans where you're sitting? You need to see more of the types of Americans who would rather be eating at a McDonalds?

Or are you just a meddling controller who doesn't know when he's better off?

by Anonymousreply 710/20/2013

After weeks in an exotic place people just want a break sometimes. But I can't imagine a coffee chain even existing in a place like Turkey - that's like an Olive Garden operating in Rome.

by Anonymousreply 810/20/2013

Starbucks in Istanbul is still going to be *in* Istanbul, what are you talking about R4? And I am sure there are very classy Turkish joints that maybe the average tourist cannot afford...

by Anonymousreply 910/20/2013

There is an Olive Garden in Rome.

by Anonymousreply 1010/20/2013

In cities where they have the best cafés (Including Vienna), Starbucks is considered mostly an American tourist thing. Also, some Viennese go there for the non-smoking environment (Austria may since have implemented a non-smoking ban, but as of last year you could still smoke in bars and restaurants.)

Portuguese food is fantastic and McDonald's is mainly a teenage hangout.

by Anonymousreply 1110/20/2013

All the Chinese kids hang out in McDonald's in NYC's Chinatown

by Anonymousreply 1210/20/2013

Wifi, you loathsome cunt.

by Anonymousreply 1310/20/2013

R10, That is so sacrilege...why would the Romans eat there? Yuck!!

by Anonymousreply 1410/20/2013

I stopped in a McDonald's in a train station in Germany last month, and they had shrimp burger with a sweet chili sauce that was rather tasty. They had several other Asian items on the menu, and they all sounded interesting. I wish they had them here.

by Anonymousreply 1510/20/2013

I was shocked in Barcelona to hear an american mom complain that there was 'nowhere to eat' because she couldn't find a mcdonald's or KFC.

by Anonymousreply 1610/20/2013

Overheard in Brussels:

"Back home, this would be dealt with in an instant!!!"

by Anonymousreply 1710/20/2013

Brussels is a fine city. It could teach Paris a thing or two.

by Anonymousreply 1810/20/2013

R16, I went to a really good Cuban restaurant in Barcelona last many options, but it just depends on your budget. I was willing to spend a few Euros for fantastic meals.

by Anonymousreply 1910/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 2010/20/2013

Well after touring around southern Italy for 2 weeks we gladly ate one meal at McDonalds. Sometimes the lunch choices down there are pizza, pizza or pizza.

by Anonymousreply 2110/20/2013

Really, R21. That hasn't been my experience. That reminds me of a guy who went to Madrid with a group of friends, and they all ended up eating at the same Spanish fast food chain every day they were there because they thought it was authentic Spanish food.

by Anonymousreply 2310/20/2013

Or pasta, R21.

by Anonymousreply 2410/20/2013

I say, before you go on holiday anywhere, learn the language. And I mean really learn it. Sure it will take time, and you will be going to fewer places, but trust me it will radically change your travelling experience.

by Anonymousreply 2510/20/2013

My elderly mom and her friends always wind up at Starbucks and McDonalds toward the end of their European trips. They just want something "familiar" after a few weeks of being away.

And, as for myself - the "espresso" thy serve at most cafés in Paris is so bad, I actually went to a Starbucks. I was amazed to find that the espresso they serve at the Starbucks chain in Paris far exceeds the swill they have in America. I asked, and the manager said that yes, it's a different blend than the US. So, when in Paris it was either Starbucks or an illy Cafe. (My favorite)

by Anonymousreply 2610/20/2013

Sigh. Yes, I'm a backwards idiot for having eaten at McDonalds ONCE in Sicily. In some towns it is hard to find an open restaurant at certain hours. The pizza and pasta and seafood, etc. are great everywhere. We just wanted a break after having that constantly.

by Anonymousreply 2710/20/2013

No taste / no imagination

by Anonymousreply 2810/20/2013

Given the choice between shitty American food and shitty Turkish food, I guess they chose American.

by Anonymousreply 2910/20/2013

I will confess that I ate at a KFC in Kathmandu once. They even have a veggie burger on the menu.

by Anonymousreply 3010/20/2013

Stress-free and they know what they are going to get.

by Anonymousreply 3110/20/2013

I thought you lived in NY, OP....

by Anonymousreply 3210/20/2013

So not everybody likes food adventure when traveling. Why do you care OP?

by Anonymousreply 3310/20/2013

When I lived in SE Asia tourist would arrive and they were all trying to out do each other by proving who was having the most authentic travel experience. You got points by suffering the most it seems.

by Anonymousreply 3410/20/2013

It's the same in Paris , I think it has more to do with size than anything else. A lot of Americans are used to LARGE servings.

by Anonymousreply 3510/20/2013

Is that all this is? Americans do tend to be oversized. It is how you recognise them in a group of tourists.

by Anonymousreply 3610/20/2013

[quote]Germans tend to be big too

Let's not forget the British.

by Anonymousreply 3710/20/2013

I never thought I would see it but the Se Asians are getting a bit tubby too.

by Anonymousreply 3810/20/2013

When I lived in Berlin, I had a Polish friend who always wanted to go to Starbucks. It was a novelty to her. On the few occasions I visited, there were plenty of Germans there (could have been tourists from the German equivalent of flyover country, I guess). I went to McD's sometimes after a night out, but only because it was convenient to my home and 90% of the other fast food in the area were doner kebab or currywurst stands.

I believe American tourists go to these places because they are familiar with the menu and it's not intimidating to order, but of course they are doing themselves a massive disservice if they don't experience the local cuisine and culture. Then again, we don't know how long they've been away from home or if they're just there for the wi-fi. I would try not to judge.

by Anonymousreply 3910/20/2013

It can be interesting in itself to see a different country's version of something familiar.

In Iceland* every petrol station has either a Subway or a Quizno's. It's fun to see how the menu, point of sale system and food prep are adapted to local practices.

*Locals like to brag that they have no McDonald's or Starbucks; it's tempting to reply "Bitch please, you have KFC."

by Anonymousreply 4010/20/2013

Or, again, Subway.

by Anonymousreply 4110/20/2013

In Thailand Ronald McDonald wais(the prayer like gesture the locals use to greet.)

by Anonymousreply 4210/20/2013

Just so we're clear on this, the Olive Garden in R10's link is in [bold]Rome, Georgia.[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 4310/20/2013

I once stayed at a place in Istanbul where the included breakfast featured abysmal coffee, as well as raw tomatoes and cucumbers (both of which I don't eat), so I thought I'd try McDonalds one day instead; sadly, they didn't serve breakfast!

by Anonymousreply 4410/20/2013

I started eating at McDonald's in Taipei because of allergic reactions to MSG, which was in absolutely freaking everything. Embarrassing, but necessary.

by Anonymousreply 4510/20/2013

I'm sorry, but all this nonsense about delicious coffee in Europe? Please, it's hit or miss.

For every wonderful cup of fresh brewed, there's another made from horrible instant powder and its either so weak it's tasteless or strong enough to use as paint stripper.

At least at McDonald's and Starbucks you're getting a consistent product.

Besides, at McDonald's you also know the toilet is available for use, and it isn't going to look like something out of Midnight Express.

by Anonymousreply 4610/20/2013

I thought the Olive Garden in Rome was a satellite of their Tuscan culinary institute where their fine chefs go to train.

by Anonymousreply 4710/20/2013

OP is fat. Many people only eat because they have to. They don't visit countries just to eat like your fat ass.

by Anonymousreply 4810/20/2013

[quote]I visited Wendy's in Istanbul and I learned a fascinating thing; they put their fries ON their burgers.

Are the fried instead of the top bun, or is the bun over the fries as well? That seems hard to eat.

by Anonymousreply 4910/20/2013

I will confess to going to a McD's in Hong Kong and Paris (this was in the early '80s) just to check out how different the menu was.

by Anonymousreply 5010/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!