Since 1995

Film actors who've come crawling back to television

Jessica Lange

Halle Berry

Katherine Heigl

Robin Williams

Who else?

by Anonymousreply 6210/21/2013

Is this a trick question? It just seems so ridiculously easy...

by Anonymousreply 110/20/2013

P.S. HBO doesn't count. I mean network and basic cable.

by Anonymousreply 210/20/2013

Sally Field

by Anonymousreply 310/20/2013

Sigourney Weaver

by Anonymousreply 410/20/2013

Gena Davis

by Anonymousreply 510/20/2013

Holly Hunter

by Anonymousreply 610/20/2013

Meg Ryan, supposedly.

by Anonymousreply 710/20/2013

Jennifer Aniston

by Anonymousreply 810/20/2013

Michael J. Fox.

by Anonymousreply 910/20/2013

Holly Hunter

Kyra Sedgwick

by Anonymousreply 1010/20/2013

Sorry, Geena Davis.

Susan Sarandon

by Anonymousreply 1110/20/2013

Charlie Sheen

by Anonymousreply 1210/20/2013

Well, if we're doing Charlie Sheen...

Jon Cryer

Rob Lowe

by Anonymousreply 1310/20/2013

If were doing the the St. Elmo's kids...

Judd Nelson

by Anonymousreply 1410/20/2013

How did Jessica Lange come "crawling back" to TV when she is known for being a movie actress? TV is lucky to have her.

by Anonymousreply 1510/20/2013

[quote]How did Jessica Lange come "crawling back" to TV when she is known for being a movie actress?

She's on FX, for fuck's sake! And she hasn't had a decent film role since the '80s. If anything, she was better known pre-AHS for Broadway, not film (certainly in part because of being married to Sam Shepard).

by Anonymousreply 1610/20/2013

The writing is so much better on TV that a lot of creatives have moved across. No crawling required.

by Anonymousreply 1710/20/2013

Did Gena Davis, Sigourney Weaver, or Holly Hunter START in television? If not, then they can't be accused of "crawling back" to it!

by Anonymousreply 1810/20/2013

Geena started in guest roles on '80s crap shows like "Knight Rider."

"Sigourney" (or Susan, her birth name) did plentiful voice work for "Futurama."

Holly infamously starred in the TV movie (as the lead, the murderous mom) about the true story of the Texas cheerleader mom who conspired to murder her daughter's chief competitor to get ahead. Before that she started in a TV movie called "Roe v. Wade."

by Anonymousreply 1910/20/2013

Robin Williams owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 2010/20/2013

Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman

by Anonymousreply 2110/20/2013

Yeah, r19 AFTR they had made solid film careers! Only Gena Davis could be accused of this out of those three.

by Anonymousreply 2210/20/2013

R15's point, for the benefit of those who have serious reading comprehension problems, is that it's stupid to list Jessica Lange as someone who came crawling "back" to TV when she made her professional debut in a film and she has always been known primarily as a film (and stage) actress, NOT a TV actress. Understand?

by Anonymousreply 2310/20/2013

R16 I think R15's point is that Jessica STARTED in movies ("King Kong" was her first role of any kind) so she can't be "crawling BACK" to television when she didn't start there, unlike some of the other people mentioned herein.

by Anonymousreply 2410/20/2013

Clara Bow

by Anonymousreply 2510/20/2013

Dennis Quaid.

by Anonymousreply 2610/20/2013

TV is no longer the huge professional step down it once was.

by Anonymousreply 2710/20/2013

R27 And how'd that work out for you, Dennis?

by Anonymousreply 2810/20/2013

Kevin Bacon.

by Anonymousreply 2910/20/2013

Kevin Bacon didn't start in TV.

by Anonymousreply 3010/20/2013

So much scripted TV is superior to films now, and a show like AHS is a steady and stellar gig for Jessica Lange. For goodness sake, the woman is how old? She's had a fantastic career in film and now she's got a role she can really sink her teeth into on TV and she's getting plenty of awards and positive feedback for her performance. It certainly is no step down, as OP would like to insinuate.

Danny DeVito is also a welcome addition to TV in Always Sunny in Philadelphia. The show would have been cancelled a long time ago if it wasn't for him, and he's fucking hysterical on the show.

by Anonymousreply 3110/20/2013

R16 you are being silly. Jessica Lange has appeared on Broadway only twice and neither was particularly well received.

She is certainly better known for her film career and her two Academy Awards will cut a bitch to prove it.

That said, FX is lucky to have her and she is lucky to have FX.

by Anonymousreply 3210/20/2013

Jessica Lange doesn't crawl anywhere, Dear. She did a TV version of "A Streetcar Named Desire" and received a Golden Globe Award. She did "Grey Gardens" and won an Emmy, and did American Horror Story, and walked away with an Emmy, Golden Globe and SAG award. How humiliating, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3310/20/2013

R32, I think Kevin Bacon got his start in daytime soap operas.

by Anonymousreply 3410/20/2013

Didn't Lange say that she never saw a single episode of that FX show she's on?

Frankly, I think a lot of these people want some retirement money and who can blame them.

Lange had to buy Shepard out of his share in their NYC place when they broke up.

Same with Sarandon and Tim Robbins. Robbins got, I believe, around $3 mil from Sarandon, if not more.

by Anonymousreply 3510/20/2013

I meant, for the place they lived in.

by Anonymousreply 3610/20/2013

Eventually all older actresses are going to end up on television. The good ones are going to end up on premium cable and the AMCs and FXs of the world. The mediocres will end up on Network Television. Even your beloved Meryl will eventually end up on TV.

by Anonymousreply 3710/20/2013

TV nowadays and for the past years is much more interesting, originality and has more influence than the majoritiy of films.

You only have to think about an industry that remakes "Carrie" (coying the original movie and not even having a fresh taking on the story to see how clueless and uninspired general film-making has become.

by Anonymousreply 3810/20/2013

TV productions nowadays are of a far higher quality than most movies. So what's so shameful about being a TV-actor?

by Anonymousreply 3910/20/2013

No, I WILL NOT talk about Santa Barbara!!

by Anonymousreply 4010/20/2013

I think Jennifer Lopez is the best example of a movie star having to reduce themself to being a judge on American Idol. Didn't she have a couple hit films now she has to work for that clown ryan seacrest.

by Anonymousreply 4110/20/2013

No one is crawling back to television these days. Everyone is running towards tv because the storytelling is better.

by Anonymousreply 4210/20/2013

OP, you dunderhead, you can't come crawling back to something you were never a part of to begin with. Jessica Lange was not a TV actress befor AHS (and her HBO Grey Gardens).

Massive fail.

by Anonymousreply 4310/20/2013

Susan Hayward. And then she died.

by Anonymousreply 4410/20/2013

Rita Wilson

Patti Deutsch

Sean Hayes

Julian Murphy

by Anonymousreply 4510/20/2013

Morgan Brittany

Ann Jilliannnnnnn

Karl Malden

by Anonymousreply 4610/20/2013

[quote]Didn't Lange say that she never saw a single episode of that FX show she's on?

I know a lot of people think stars are all Norma Desmond, sitting in the dark watching their work, but many, many never see the finished product. It's work to them and not a part of their daily lives. They move on to the next project and many never look back.

by Anonymousreply 4710/20/2013

R41 is right.

by Anonymousreply 4810/20/2013

You are ignoring the obvious, in a lot of cases actors plain just don't like watching their own work. Watching yourself on screen can be weird experience for some and it messes with some people's confidence.

by Anonymousreply 4910/20/2013

TV is better than the movies

by Anonymousreply 5010/20/2013

Loretta Young

Barbara Stanywyck

Ann Baxter

Broderick Crawford

Eve Arden

James Garner

Ann Sothern

Kenneth Branagh

Maggie Smith

Claire Danes

Kevin Spacey

Mathew McConaughey

Woody Harrelson

Robin Wright

Karl Malden

Kyle Maclachlan

Doris Day

Shirley Maclaine

Lee Grant

Laura Dern

Emily Mortimer

Jane Fonda

Sam Waterston

Blair Brown

Robert Young

Robert Wagner

Toni Collette

Laura Linney

Mary Louise Parker

Elizabeth Perkins

Peter Falk

Dylan McDermott

Rob Lowe

Martin Sheen

Rachel Griffiths

James Spader

Gabriel Byrne

Cloris Leachman

Cybill Shepherd

Angela Lansbury

Joan Blondell

Angie Dickinson

Rita Moreno

Barbara Bel Geddes

Lauren Bacall

Joan Collins

Piper Laurie

Kate Nelligan

Cicely Tyson

Christine Lahti

Helen Mirren

Minnie Driver

Glenn Close

Holly Hunter

Kathy Bates

Vera Farmiga

Kerry Washington

by Anonymousreply 5110/20/2013

[quote]You are ignoring the obvious, in a lot of cases actors plain just don't like watching their own work.

Streep and De Niro watch their own dailies. Most actors will watch a film they're staring in, and it's always a private screening without any other audience members.

by Anonymousreply 5210/20/2013

Film actors who go back to TV? Actors who like working? Could it be that?

Who are you, OP? Frankie Fame from The Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 5310/20/2013

Robin Williams and Sally Field are classic examples of what OP is talking about.

Both made a name for themselves in TV series, went on to star in many big screen movies, and now are back heading TV series.

A lot of these other examples are people who made names for themselves in movies but couldn't get good gigs after reaching a certain age so they're now in TV series (the Brat Packers especially).

Others had early roles on TV, but got their names known because of later film work such as Kevin Bacon who was on Guiding Light for two years before moving to films like Diner and Footloose. Or Alec Baldwin who starred in the Doctors and Knots Landing before graduating to films.

by Anonymousreply 5410/20/2013

[quote]and now are back heading TV series

Sally Field's last series ended in 2011. What TV series is she "heading"?

by Anonymousreply 5510/20/2013

Who are the movie stars who will never do a TV series? Even 20 years from now.

Obviously Meryl is a probable never. But I could see her doing some highbrow limited run series when she's in her 80s.

Sandra Bullock? I think she'll be back eventually.

by Anonymousreply 5610/20/2013

Sandra has done surprising little TV since Working Girl.

by Anonymousreply 5710/20/2013

[quote]Streep and De Niro watch their own dailies. Most actors will watch a film they're staring in, and it's always a private screening without any other audience members.

You can't say most will watch their work, because you have no idea. I have met hundreds of actors and a good many of them have told me they never do. But I would never generalize and say most don't, as I said before, many don't so Jessica Lange never seeing "American Horror Story" is not out of the ordinary.

by Anonymousreply 5810/20/2013

Maybe I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised to see Helen Hunt, Jennifer Aniston, and Jennifer Garner all go back to TV one day.

by Anonymousreply 5910/21/2013

I was actually shocked to see Holly Hunter go back to TV so quickly. Seemed she was still on top of her game in films when all of a sudden she was headlining a TV series.

by Anonymousreply 6010/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!