Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

There is *no* performance in film history as good as Maggie Smith's performance in Gosford Park

And as thrilled as I am to see her essentially play the same character in Downton Abbey, I almost wish she hadn't bastardized her most glorious role to take the television part.

by Anonymousreply 4210/20/2013

her performance single-handedly inspired "Downton Abbey"

by Anonymousreply 110/20/2013

"...none of us will see it."

by Anonymousreply 210/20/2013

Difficult color, green.

by Anonymousreply 310/20/2013

I would argue that her performance in "California Suite" is just as good if not her best.

by Anonymousreply 410/20/2013

Helen Mirren was also very good in Gosford Park, although in a plainer role. It's unfortunate that both of them were beaten by Jennifer Connely.

by Anonymousreply 510/20/2013

What about ME!!!! Oh, Mary MacGregor!

by Anonymousreply 610/20/2013

Just curious did Ryan Philippe ever give any interviews or talk about what it was like playing Bob Balaban's kept man in the film? I know he was excited working with Robert Altman on the project, but the gay details of his character were seemingly white-washed in the press surrounding the film. The dvd commentary barely even acknowledges the nature of the relationship.

by Anonymousreply 710/20/2013

I think Ryan Phillippe was a late replacement for Jude Law or someone else who originally had the part first. I remember seeing him briefly interviewed with the other cast members (sitting next to Helen Mirren, I think) on the DVD Special Features.

by Anonymousreply 810/20/2013

wow r7 I never even realized the gay aspect of their relationship. Gee I was young and naive in 2001.

I like the woman from Trainspotting/Boardwalk Empire too. Her final speech to Mirren is riveting stuff.

by Anonymousreply 910/20/2013

Ryan Phillippe's performance in this movie is surprising serviceable.

by Anonymousreply 1010/20/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1110/20/2013

I also find Jeremy Northam to be unbelievably hot in this movie. Like, whoa.

by Anonymousreply 1210/20/2013

[quote]I never even realized the gay aspect of their relationship.

During their first night at the estate, Ryan's character asks Bob Balaban whether he 'needs him tonight' or something to that effect.

I think the Ryan Phillippe character is bisexual though, or willing to sleep with either gender to climb the ropes. He also has sex with Kristen Scott Thomas, too.

by Anonymousreply 1310/20/2013

Let the ol' bat 'it the ship with the bottle, Artie!

by Anonymousreply 1410/20/2013

R9 is a clueless straight woman.

by Anonymousreply 1510/20/2013

Maggie Smith roles:

She's at her best in "A Bed Among The Lentils" from the 70's. It's at Netflix titled Talking Heads -- the DVD is The Millionairess/Talking Heads, IIRC. No one ever talks about that performance as it was on PBS, got little notice, I presume.

by Anonymousreply 1610/20/2013

How dare you r15!!!! How dare you!!! Clueless I can accept, but straight and worst of all...a WOMAN? I have never been so insulted in my life!!!

by Anonymousreply 1710/20/2013

[quote]the DVD is The Millionairess

Smith plays a stuck-up wealthy snob in this story who complains about how little money she has.

Interesting fact: Tom Baker (the 4th Doctor Who) appears as one of her co-stars.

by Anonymousreply 1810/20/2013

A really tough call as she has delivered so many memorable roles. I agree, R4, "Califonia Suite" is a personal fave ( Sidney, I can't wait to see how the media explain my hump!). Also, "Travels with my Aunt" and "Ladies in Lavendar" and . . . so many others !!

by Anonymousreply 1910/20/2013

Maggie Smith is also good in "Tea With Mussolini", as are Judi Dench and Cher.

by Anonymousreply 2010/20/2013

19 posts and no Miss Brodie?

ASSASSINS!!!

by Anonymousreply 2110/20/2013

Yes "Tea With Mussolini" is one of those iconic films that I wouldn't mind seeing again (I remember the plot of the old ladies trying to keep their sons/grandsons out of the war). Were the sons gay? I just remember them being mildly hot and that was what held my interest in the piece. All the rest was just a bunch of old bags sitting around drinking tea moving from one Euro city to the next. But alas it never seems to air on basic cable. Yet a week doesn't go bye that "The Fugitive" doesn't air on some channel. The injustice of cable programing.

by Anonymousreply 2210/20/2013

It shouldn't be hard to find on DVD, R22.

by Anonymousreply 2310/20/2013

Everyone in Gosford Park was good. Can watch it all the time. Maggie Smith shines in nearly everything she appears in.

by Anonymousreply 2410/20/2013

Not a lot of snark yet. Could it be that DL-ers agree on Maggie Smith?

Most everyone shines in Gosford Park, perhaps the best ensemble ever in a movie. Even the minor characters have brief moments to shine, e.g. Sophie Thompson, Tom Hollander.

by Anonymousreply 2510/20/2013

[quote]There is *no* performance in film history as good as Maggie Smith's performance in Gosford Park

I dunno ... Shelley Winters was pretty good in Poseidon Adventure!

by Anonymousreply 2610/20/2013

Why are we discussing supporting performances?

by Anonymousreply 2710/20/2013

Her career was a triumphant march to her unforgettable triumph as Professor Minerva McGonagall. Downhill from there, I'm afraid.

by Anonymousreply 2810/20/2013

wasn't she an avenger?

by Anonymousreply 2910/20/2013

The apparently forgotten A Room with a View

by Anonymousreply 3010/20/2013

The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne.

Nothing else even comes close.

by Anonymousreply 3110/20/2013

Forgotten, never R30! One of the favourite movies of my youth.

by Anonymousreply 3210/20/2013

We might as well throw in "Clash of the Titans", as well. She and Laurence Olivier have some good scenes together as they bitch back and forth at each other on Mount Olympus.

by Anonymousreply 3310/20/2013

She was great in Gosford Park, but I don't think it was THAT amazing. Unfortunately, her role on Downton Abbey has made her Gosford Park seem less compelling over time.

by Anonymousreply 3410/20/2013

This is probably a boring, obvious choice, but I thought she was pretty fantastic in Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. That has to deserve at least a mention.

by Anonymousreply 3510/20/2013

Kristine Nielsen as Maggie Smith in "California Suite" in "Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike.". Priceless.

by Anonymousreply 3610/20/2013

She has won the triple crown of acting

Oscar-Tony-Emmy

Plus only one of six women to win Oscars in both lead and supporting

by Anonymousreply 3710/20/2013

Supposedly, some of Dame Maggie's best lines in Gosford Park and Downton Abbey were ad-libbed by the lady herself.

Julian Fellowes is no fool.

by Anonymousreply 3810/20/2013

Richard Grant was really wonderful in GP although his role was small.

by Anonymousreply 3910/20/2013

Season 1 of Downton was the best. The characters were better drawn, Smith's in particular.

The character in Gosford Park is a real person, albeit a fairly horrible one. Violet is entertaining and Smith imbues Fellowes' lazy Downton dross with as much as possible, but there's not much there.

Overall, Gosford is one of the quiet greats in film history. Not epic, but as someone wisely noted, even the minor characters have great moments and are well drawn. It's hard to believe Fellowes wrote both.

by Anonymousreply 4010/20/2013

Mrs. Silly was a British TV film from the early 1980's that I saw once on PBS that made a great impression me but is inexplicably not available in any format and has seemingly vanished for now.

She played a middle aged flamboyant divorcee who painfully embarrasses her young son when she visits him at boarding school.

No one else is able to be so richly comic, tragic and believable at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 4110/20/2013

She was also wonderful in that film with Michael Palin and the hog. Sorry, forgetting the name.....something with Betty?

by Anonymousreply 4210/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.