Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Michaels Craft Store

Who the hell buys all this shit?

by Anonymousreply 2410/20/2013

My nearest one just closed. So I guess no one.

by Anonymousreply 110/19/2013

Actually I get all my prints and art framed there. Best prices.

by Anonymousreply 210/19/2013

I've often wondered about Donna Dewberry's One Stroke kits

by Anonymousreply 310/19/2013

I've got a Michaels, a Hobby Lobby and a JoAnn Fabrics all within a one-mile radius of my home. The answer, OP, is fraus. My sister-in-law is a crafter. She makes crap to sell on Etsy (probably not enough to recoup the cost of materials). The craft crap takes up an entire room of the house.

by Anonymousreply 410/19/2013

Our Michaels is always empty. I think it's like Kmart - exists on old momentum.

Wiki lists owners as tBain Capital, Blackstone Group, and Highfields Capital Management.

I expect it will be saddled with a lot of debt and then liquidated.

It's what they do.

by Anonymousreply 510/19/2013

Smart people only shop there for the sales.

40% off is pretty damn nice.

by Anonymousreply 610/19/2013

[quote]'ve got a Michaels, a Hobby Lobby and a [bold]JoAnn Fabrics[/bold] all within a one-mile radius of my home.

Always makes me think of this:

[italic]Joe: I uh I never picked up an illegal alien at Home Depot to take home a choke me while I touch myself.

Quagmire: Oh come on!

Peter: I never did the same thing except with someone from Joann Fabrics.

Quagmire: Oh God this is ridiculous. You guys suck! [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 710/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 810/19/2013

Like Joanne and JCPenney, they've made the mistake of programming customers to expect the discount.

You don't drop in to pick something up without that coupon.

Sales should be bi-annual affairs with buzz instead of weekly circulars.

by Anonymousreply 910/19/2013

They aren't sales. The prices are jacked way up, so then the fraus who love coupons think they are getting a deal.

by Anonymousreply 1010/19/2013

Kohl's is notorious for those "sales" too.

by Anonymousreply 1110/19/2013

I buy supplies there. Useful stuff is buried amid the crap.

by Anonymousreply 1210/19/2013

R9, that is not Michael's and JC Pennys, it all retail. It started in the 1980s with Macys and the May Co. Americans are so trained to shop sales that one really could not go to the European model of sales twice a year. Nobody would buy anything.

It is part of the 1980s "sell the sizzle, not the steak" mentality. Americans are so addicted to the emotional rush of the sale experience, that they really do not pay much attention to the product.

Heck, even IKEA has an IKEA Family promotion because they have found that Americans will not buy without a sale.

by Anonymousreply 1310/19/2013

Donna Dewberry is a true bitch and she can kiss my black ass!

by Anonymousreply 1410/19/2013

[quote]Donna Dewberry is a true bitch...[/quote]

more details, please

by Anonymousreply 1510/19/2013

well, you know: We rant about them all the time! One is probably sitting in a cube near you at work every day.

Can't stand to go in there because the whole place smells like eucalyptus.

They do a good job of framing stuff, though. Expensive, but I've been pleased with the results.

by Anonymousreply 1610/19/2013

Snobbery is alive and well with some folk.

by Anonymousreply 1710/19/2013

I make candles at home, and Michael's has good paraffin, wicks and scents.

So sue me.

by Anonymousreply 1810/19/2013

My favorite story to tell about Michaels, we got something framed there and picked up some other stuff, as we are in this very large line to pay (there was one poor girl working the register) I see this manager type stroll up and grab the phone. I think, oh good he is calling in more cashiers. Nope...he dials the phone looking at all of us in line with contemp and here is the exact conversation

"Phil? It's Randal..Yeah we are swamped! I know. What are you up to? Uh huh. uh huh. Cool, okay I will call you later."

and he walks away.

by Anonymousreply 1910/19/2013

Have only been to one once. They seemed not to know about simple stuff. Most of the merchandise reminded me of what places like Woolworth's used to sell. AC Moore seems to be the new kid to sell this junk. If Michaels is owned by vulture capitalists, then it its's well on its way to death.

by Anonymousreply 2010/19/2013

Best $2.50 art brushes ! I use them and then throw them away! Love my Michaels....pretty crystal thingys on monofilament too

by Anonymousreply 2110/19/2013

I take my grandmother there a couple times a year. She buys random shit like fake greenery and Wilton cake pans.

by Anonymousreply 2210/19/2013

They have great sales and some really nice decor when you get past the pipe cleaners and googly eyes. Framing is a steal. Maybe you should go in, you might become inspired!

by Anonymousreply 2310/19/2013

I buy some of my yarn there, but never without a coupon. They got a lotta' shit there, you can spend an afternoon going through everything

by Anonymousreply 2410/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!