Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hot, spicy food

What's the point of excessively spicy food? Do people really enjoy it? Is it a challenge to eat it without dying?

by Anonymousreply 8207/04/2014

I love spicy food, the hotter the better. And none of that bullshit Tabasco. I'm talking about thai food, habanero salsas, and grilled jalapeno peppers that you eat big bites of.

I enjoy it immensely. And while i'm always up for a challenge, I don't eat it to see how much I can take. I eat it 'cause I enjoy the heat.

by Anonymousreply 110/19/2013

I'm watching this show where they have scientific, standardized measures for the heat of the peppers. I didn't realize people were so serious about their heat.

by Anonymousreply 210/19/2013

I can't stand spicy food. People say I have bland taste in food, and perhaps I do, but if not liking spicy is bland, I'll take it.

by Anonymousreply 310/19/2013

Yet another baby tastes thread.

by Anonymousreply 410/20/2013

Used to be able to eat any spices. But as one got older, arthritis set in. I eliminated members of the nightshade family (most peppers, potato, fresh tomato) and got rid of the arthritis. Still use ketchup and have little problem.

by Anonymousreply 510/20/2013

R5 sounds like voodoo bullshit but we are glad you are happy.

by Anonymousreply 610/20/2013

The VahChef introduces us all to hot, spicy Indian food!

by Anonymousreply 710/20/2013

I guess I'm a medium when it comes to hot foods: Szechuan, Vindaloo, some Thai. I never understood the point of having foods so blazingly, hot that your tongue is seared? Once that happens, how can you appreciate the taste of what you're eating.I know for a lot of guys it's a macho thing, you're welcome to all the ghost and bird chilis you can stand. Hot chilis helped indigenous people sweat more, a little help from Mother Nature in those equatorial countries. Have you seen that Indian(subcontinent) festival, where they smear ground up chilis into their EYES? Invoke the deity of your choice, but that seems a special kind o' stupid.

by Anonymousreply 810/20/2013

I basically ONLY like spicy food

OP, not only is it nutritious and delicious but the hot part is the world's best anti-inflammatory. Very healthy for your gut

by Anonymousreply 910/20/2013

It disguises cheap cuts that are past their best. I'll take a little blander and fresher thank you.

by Anonymousreply 1010/20/2013

Quit drinking 22 years ago, quit smoking 5 years ago, retired two years ago.

I have more time now to spend in the kitchen and I have come to detest bland food. Maybe I fried my taste buds in earlier days … who knows.

Last year I grew my own chili peppers and made about a gallon my homemade blended hot sauce.

Peppers used: jalapeno, habanero, Thai, cowhorn, peter, Tabasco.

Used my VitaMix to blend the chopped peppers, salt, and white vinegar into a smooth puree. Poured this into freezer bags. Thaw and decant as needed. Excellent!

by Anonymousreply 1110/20/2013

I like hot food, and I like not-hot food. I don't cook much with chilis myself, but I like going out for it, Thai food in particular. There are a couple of good restaurants near me, one very near me. I would go more often if they didn't burn scented candles. [italic]Why don't Thai restaurants want people to smell the food?[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 1210/20/2013

All hail the BTT (R4).

by Anonymousreply 1310/20/2013

I regard ridiculously hot peppers as poison because as someone has pointed out, how can you get past the blistering heat to taste the food?

But subtle background heat, providing a spice "framework" for the rest of the dish's other ingredients to hold onto, can make all the difference in the world to a recipe. From ho-hum to W-O-W!

by Anonymousreply 1410/20/2013

Capsaicin is therapeutic, externally and internally.

by Anonymousreply 1510/21/2013

[quote]I regard ridiculously hot peppers as poison because as someone has pointed ou

no accounting for tastes, my dear, but they are FAR from a poison.

by Anonymousreply 1610/21/2013

I like it as long as it doesn't wipe out my taste buds or make the food difficult to eat.

A good smokey pepper can be wonderful flavor. The combo of hot and sweet or creamy can be a great thing.

by Anonymousreply 1710/21/2013

You build a tolerance for the heat and find you don't enjoy food without. I usually add cayenne to whatever starch I might be having. I add habanero sauce my friends make along with greek yogurt to my V8 juice. Now I am doing crushed chiltepins.

For me, it started with red hots, the cinnamon candy. I quickly became addicted and moved on to hotter things. I also am in my 60's have arthritis and take no pain medicines because, I have no pain.

by Anonymousreply 1810/21/2013

[quote] I never understood the point of having foods so blazingly, hot that your tongue is seared? Once that happens, how can you appreciate the taste of what you're eating.

For me at that point it's not about the taste, it's about the incredible euphoria brought by the capsaicin.

by Anonymousreply 1910/21/2013

yeah, I agree

by Anonymousreply 2010/21/2013

Spicy foods also have great analgesic properties, relieving muscle aches and headaches.

by Anonymousreply 2110/21/2013

My problem is that when I have peppers I typically eat more.

by Anonymousreply 2210/21/2013

r16 Chilis, being in the Nightshade family, are actually not all that far from being a poison. Thank heaven they're tasty, or there wouldn't be much to recommend them.

by Anonymousreply 2310/21/2013

I love "spicy" food, meaning tasting of various spices, but HEAT, as in "this burns my mouth and causes pain" is not a "spice".

by Anonymousreply 2410/21/2013

[quote]You build a tolerance for the heat and find you don't enjoy food without.

I have a friend like this. "Hot" is the only tastebud he has left that works, apparently. He's perfectly happy eating the crappiest, cheapest un-hot food (my opinion). He microwaves yesterday's coffee and says it tastes no different to him from the fresh coffee I drink.

But his hot food, that's another story. He loves it, loves it, loves it, and can be as picky about it as I am all food.

by Anonymousreply 2510/21/2013

Does it burn when you rim a guy who eats a lot of very spicy food?

by Anonymousreply 2610/21/2013

r26 It's the food that warms you twice, going in and coming out. If someone's down there, they're bound to notice.

by Anonymousreply 2710/21/2013

DE-LISH

by Anonymousreply 2806/23/2014

EXACTLY OP!!!!

I can't enjoy my food if my nose is running, my eyes are tearing, and I'm gulping water at the speed of light!

I simply don't get it.

I love crab, but I never again with eat it mixed with cayenne mayo.

I couldn't enjoy it one bit. I was too busy trying to put out the fire!

by Anonymousreply 2906/23/2014

[all posts by racist flame-bait shit-stain removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3006/23/2014

No, it is not.

by Anonymousreply 3106/23/2014

I love how someone (the paid bumper?) bumps an old thread, and suddenly people post as if they're talking to the OP, who may have died or left the DL in the interim.

by Anonymousreply 3206/23/2014

He ate too much

by Anonymousreply 3306/23/2014

What r30 said -- note spicy foods are from warm places. Before refrigerators, meat would get rancid quick but hot spices would cover the fact (and the taste).

by Anonymousreply 3406/23/2014

People that have a boring or limited diet tend to eat spicier food, especially in colder months where there is limited fresh produce. Hot peppers provide a potent source of Vitamin C and other badly needed nutrients. Scientific studies also verify that those eating hot food eat far less of it, and consequently loose weight.

by Anonymousreply 3506/23/2014

by Anonymousreply 3606/23/2014

Hot and spicy foods have been inflicted upon us by celebrity chefs who don't know how to cook. They make their concoctions hot and spicy to the point of being indigestible and act as if it's your fault if you don't appreciate the slop they've prepared.

by Anonymousreply 3706/24/2014

by Anonymousreply 3806/24/2014

by Anonymousreply 3906/24/2014

Love hot and spicy food. The more your eat it the more you will like it.

by Anonymousreply 4006/24/2014

I don't like all my food spicy, but I do enjoy it in some cases.

I find some heat really enhances all the other flavors in many Thai dishes. I like some spice when I eat Mexican food, too.

by Anonymousreply 4106/24/2014

"I never understood the point of having foods so blazingly, hot that your tongue is seared?"

That's how we're using commas now?

by Anonymousreply 4206/24/2014

I'll take some spicy food over bad grammar, please

by Anonymousreply 4306/24/2014

by Anonymousreply 4406/24/2014

by Anonymousreply 4506/24/2014

If you're friend is funky, give me some chilies

by Anonymousreply 4606/24/2014

LOL What a cheeseball question R26! DL you never disappoint. Thank you.

If I eat very spicy food my ass burns when I poo. So I'm sure it could be burn if you rim a bottom who has a) eaten spicy food and b) not cleaned his hole out well. Not that I would know since I rim very selectively and it's usually guys who are bland in every way. Yeah I know, there's just my type.

by Anonymousreply 4706/24/2014

Give me chilies or give me death!

by Anonymousreply 4806/24/2014

As I've gotten older I find that I like my food spicier with chilies.

I described this phenomenon to age-related taste bud fatigue.

by Anonymousreply 4906/24/2014

so is spicy food good or bad for arthritis? I've heard generally spicy food is good for your overall health.

by Anonymousreply 5006/24/2014

a true delight for ALL the senses!

by Anonymousreply 5106/24/2014

Most foods taste bland to me if it's not spicy. Maybe it's like a drug because it strongly stimulates many senses while eating. Depending on how hot it is it will make your mouth water, eyes run etc. After awhile you need the spice to get that desired kick to a meal. But of course as your taste get used to a certain level of hotness you have to up it.

I started with just the crushed red peppers, then jalapenos, then whole cayenne peppers, now I have to have habaneros. And my new favorite is this meal from a Thai restaurant called Ghost Chili Chicken it uses the Ghost pepper, the hottest in the world. I have to get this takeout because it's way to hot to eat all of it in one sitting.

by Anonymousreply 5206/24/2014

Spicy food is actually addictive for some people. It's releases chemicals in the brain that make you crave it. My Mom spent the first years of her life living in India because her Dad was in the army, so it became second nature to her and then her kids to eat hot food. Fabulous when you have a cold too. The hotter, the better.

by Anonymousreply 5306/24/2014

I heard and read that hot spices and peppers are very healthy but I can't take them. Not only do they kill my stomach but make my tongue swell up with welts all over it so much so that I can't speak clearly.

It seems to me most of the chefs on TV like things hot with tons of hot peppers. It just seems odd to me that almost every one of them goes on about how much they like hot spicy foods, like it's a qualification.

by Anonymousreply 5406/24/2014

[quote]Not only do they kill my stomach but make my tongue swell up with welts all over it so much so that I can't speak clearly.

There are levels of heat, hon. "Spicy" is not an all or nothing thing.

by Anonymousreply 5506/24/2014

I'm talking about even the mildest of spice or one of the least hot of the hot peppers, a poblano chili pepper or a pinch of cayenne pepper in something or the red pepper flakes like the kind you find in pizza places. I've never even gone near a really hot pepper after seeing my reaction to the ones most people consider mild. For instance, I cannot do Buffalo wings or any hot sauce. I've tried the mildly hot things with dairy like milk, yogurt and sour cream and they still bother me a lot.

I was once in a coffee shop with friends for breakfast. We ordered the egg special that came with home fries. It seemed that at this restaurant they use a bit of jalapenos in the potatoes. They didn't even taste hot so I was eating them but sure enough my tongue started to get swollen to where the others had a hard time understanding me. That was when I asked the server and sure enough what I thought was green bell pepper which is usually in home fries was jalapenos. No I ask when I order anything that might have anything hot or spicy in it. Heck, these days they are putting hot peppers in ice cream so I pretty much ask about anything.

Oh and for some odd reason the only other food that does this to me is hummus. I've made it at home so I know there are no peppers or spices in it and it still happens so I figure I'm either allergic to chick peas or sesame seeds.

by Anonymousreply 5606/24/2014

Sucks to be you, r56.

Can I have your fries, hummus, hot wings, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 5706/24/2014

LOL! Be my guest R57. As my grandmother would have said, not having those things in life should be the worst thing to ever happens to me.

by Anonymousreply 5806/24/2014

R57, I'll take some of that too!

by Anonymousreply 5906/24/2014

It's the sensation of it.

by Anonymousreply 6006/24/2014

Spicy species

by Anonymousreply 6106/24/2014

There's hot and then there's "can't taste the food" hot.

I have "hot mouth" but not "I hate my mouth."

by Anonymousreply 6206/25/2014

I'm Sandra Sotomayor, and I approve this thread.

by Anonymousreply 6306/25/2014

I love it HOT

by Anonymousreply 6406/25/2014

[quote]Does it burn when you rim a guy who eats a lot of very spicy food?

Remember when the Osbornes had a reality show?

Sharon once told Kelly that on one occasion, Sharon and Ozzy ate some spicy curry and then began fooling around, and when she began giving Ozzy head, he found it painful due to he lingering spiciness in her mouth!

by Anonymousreply 6506/25/2014

Nobody on DL is a "paid bumper", idiot R32!

by Anonymousreply 6606/25/2014

I like spicy food but there's a limit--I can only take sriracha in small amounts and much prefer the chili garlic sauce made by the same company (rooster). I had a hippie-ish boyfriend who claimed chiles were physically and spiritually cleansing. I'd watch while he'd chew on a scotch bonnet and turn bright red, sweat, snot and tears streaming down his face. It was like his face was liquifying in protest but he claimed the secretions were toxins leaving his body.

by Anonymousreply 6706/25/2014

I really think most of the people who say, "I can't eat spicy food!" could be proven abject liars if the alternative was starvation.

I think they would be amazed at how readily there gut accepts spicy foods in that situation.

by Anonymousreply 6806/25/2014

R67, he was correct, also their is an endorphin rush. Chilies are the secret to success in life

by Anonymousreply 6906/25/2014

If you were a chili pepper, what kind would you be?

by Anonymousreply 7006/25/2014

A Habeñero

by Anonymousreply 7106/25/2014

A cayenne -- useful in so many situations.

by Anonymousreply 7206/25/2014

Capsaicin curbs your appetite.

by Anonymousreply 7306/25/2014

I'm eating spicy food as I type this

by Anonymousreply 7406/25/2014

Monday, it's a day for hot chilies!!

by Anonymousreply 7506/30/2014

Spicey BBQ for the Fourth!

by Anonymousreply 7607/03/2014

R5 pages 2-3 in the linked article discuss the effect of Nightshade Plant foods on arthritis. This is the publication of the Arthritis Foundation. Interesting studies are discussed concerning potato and tomato.

by Anonymousreply 7707/04/2014

A Texas police official got in trouble for saying that using Pepper Spray on Mexicans was ineffective because their bodies were accustomed to spices. Truth be told, he's right.

by Anonymousreply 7807/04/2014

F

by Anonymousreply 7907/04/2014

Counterintuitive, but I've read that spicy foods are good for avoiding GERD.

by Anonymousreply 8007/04/2014

R80 I've been on 2 antibiotics for Lyme Disease for a month now with 2 weeks still to go. Doxycycline, for one, is murder on the stomach. Probiotics & Prilosec are also prescribed by the Dr. Though I take them consistently, they are meh for greater stomach comfort.

Intermittently I've been eating Aleppo Pepper sprinkled on foods, fresh ginger, curry spice mixes I concoct myself, and I always feel better once the hot peppery stuff is in my system. Though I like moderately hot & spicy foods only from time to time, I've always believed that hot pepper (and fresh ginger root) is a good anti-inflammatory and settles the stomach. Now I'm a total believer.

by Anonymousreply 8107/04/2014

R67, toxins do not leave the body through sweat, snot, or tears. The liver is responsible for removing toxins, and they come out in feces.

by Anonymousreply 8207/04/2014
Need more help? Click Here.