Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Single-serve coffee makers. Do you have one which you would recommend & which operates well consistently & coffee tastes great?

I know we've had other threads on this topic and I have read through all of those threads. Many this thread will illuminate new information. Keurigs are too plastic & break down & coffee sometimes tastes like plastic? Coffee & Tea Leaf Kaldi's are still good or not?

by Anonymousreply 8010/20/2013

Could you get any MORE lazy, OP?!

I bet you buy body wash and liquid laundry detergent too.

Buy a Bodum French press, they come in many sizes and styles.

by Anonymousreply 110/19/2013

Hamilton Beach 49981 Single Serve Scoop Coffee Maker.

Advantages: easy to clean and no expensive K-Cups to buy. No paper taste as it uses two metal filters.

Disadvantages: coffee may not be hot or strong enough for some.

French presses do make much better coffee, but less convenient.

by Anonymousreply 210/19/2013

Melitta makes a good cup of coffee.

by Anonymousreply 310/19/2013

I like my Melitta more than my French Press. Mine makes up to ten cups, so I have no opinion about the single-serve model.

by Anonymousreply 410/19/2013

Those machines produce instant coffee. It's not worth it. French press and a tea kettle work the best. Plus, they don't break down.

by Anonymousreply 610/19/2013

What's so bad about liquid laundry detergent, R1?

by Anonymousreply 710/19/2013

When use a French press, how do you ensure that the water is at the proper temperature? I think it's supposed to be around 190, but teakettles normally boil water, so do you let it cool down first?

by Anonymousreply 810/19/2013

My ex got a very nasty burn on his arm when the plunging went awry. The difference between 190 and 212 really can't make that much difference, can it?

by Anonymousreply 910/19/2013

I put french press in the microwave for 3 and ½ minutes, just below boiling.

Use a candy thermometer if you think 190˚ is critical.

by Anonymousreply 1010/19/2013

How do you put the French press in the microwave? Isn't it metallic?

by Anonymousreply 1110/19/2013

Mine has the borosilicate glass with a plastic holder and handle.

Not a problem.

by Anonymousreply 1210/19/2013

The rule of thumb I've always followed is boiling water is 212 degrees.

Take the kettle off the burner and when it stops boiling it's the right temperature for both French press and Melitta.

I'm a huge fan of French press coffee. If you have a glass/stainless steel version you can use it to make a great pot of tea as well.

But for a single cup of coffee in the morning - I go with the Melitta. Not only is clean-up easier, but you don't have to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 1310/19/2013

I'd like to have French press coffee, but it seems like a lot of trouble to make when you get up in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 1410/19/2013

Stovetop moka pot with Cafe Bustelo. Drink it piping hot to really clear you out.

by Anonymousreply 1510/19/2013

The huge amount of plastic (and metal?) waste that comes from those single service machines is just sad. A few years back I was also looking into these, because I love cappuccinos and such, and the only that kind of machine that my conscience let me buy was Philips Senseo. It has pods that are just coffee packed into a paper wrapping, and the pods are sold in the packs of 20 or more, and they are not single wrapped. The coffee quality possibly is not as good as in the machines that use hard casings for the single serve, but I don't remember thinking that the quality was bad either.

The Senseo machine that I had had an automatic milk frother in it and unfortunately the frother malfunctioned after a few days so I ditched the machine completely (long story, no one cares). I did enjoy the ease of use, and the coffee tasted nice enough to me. I've since moved on to a more manual kind of espresso making with Rancilio Silvia, and I actually love all the work it takes to make a nice cup of latte. The ritual of grinding the beans, pulling the shot and steaming the milk somehow reminds me of Japanese tea seremony where you concentrate on the tasks completely (not that I know that much about tea seremony).

There are also single service pods for sale for some espresso machines, too, but they are individually packed so I use them quite rarely with my other cheapo espresso maker.

by Anonymousreply 1610/19/2013

French press users, do you dump the grounds down the sink or is that just asking for plumbing trouble?

by Anonymousreply 1710/19/2013

My Bodum French press is the small single cup size, equivalent to a Keurig in volume.

Put coffee in press, add water, put in microwave for a minute or so (comparable to a Keurig's brew time), then plunge and pour.

Yeah, lotta trouble for the terminally lazy.

by Anonymousreply 1810/19/2013

R17, I compost them.

by Anonymousreply 1910/19/2013

R18 - I think a good cup of French press coffee needs a little more work.

by Anonymousreply 2010/19/2013

Get a fucking Keurig and shut the fuck up with the French Press bullshit. At that time of the morning you could drink dog piss and not notice.

by Anonymousreply 2110/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 2210/19/2013

Candy Thermometer? Are you for real??? All of you Bodum cunts sound like like that anal retentive Alton Brown from Good Eats.

by Anonymousreply 2310/19/2013

Hey Mr. Coffee, do you offer a single serving size coffee maker?

If not, shut the fuck up, Nimrod.

by Anonymousreply 2410/19/2013

Nespresso is fabulous. You can't buy the pods very many places and you need to get used to the shorter coffees but they taste very good.

by Anonymousreply 2510/19/2013

With a French press, the how-to videos say you have to measure the coffee beans on a scale, grind them, boil water, add a small amount of water and stir, wait, add more water, and then wait some more. That's just too much work for everyday use.

by Anonymousreply 2610/19/2013

[quote]Hey Mr. Coffee, do you offer a single serving size coffee maker?

Lick my butterscotch flavored asshole, you rancid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2710/19/2013

Phshaw, R26.

I use Peets ground coffee, one scoop for every two cups, add boiling water, wait 4 minutes.

It's all done in about 6 minutes and it's delicious.

by Anonymousreply 2810/19/2013

French press users: You probably like 'farm-fresh butter', too, don't you? How precious!

by Anonymousreply 2910/19/2013

AeroPress vs french press: Convince me to spend the money.

Currently I boil water, pour it into a pyrex measuring cup containing coffee beans ground with a blade grinder and, after steeping a minute or two, poured out into a cup through a metal tea-cup strainer. Tastes fine, lots of flavor, a little muddy maybe and sediment at the bottom of the cup. Why buy an AeroPress or a Bodum french press, or a ceramic coffee dripper, or... whatever else?

by Anonymousreply 3010/19/2013

French press = mug hugger.

by Anonymousreply 3110/19/2013

Go back to your Maxwell House, Cora @ R29.

by Anonymousreply 3210/19/2013

Nespresso. Only Nespresso. Screw the peasants.

by Anonymousreply 3310/19/2013

Can you put the used coffee grounds down the sink?

by Anonymousreply 3410/19/2013

This hipster queen says you have to use a scale and a timer. It seems like a lot of work first thing in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 3510/19/2013

Re coffee grounds down the kitchen sink drain:

I did for a time when I lived in a two story apartment building. I was on the top floor -- never any plumbing problems for me!

by Anonymousreply 3610/19/2013

Yeah, well, R35,

She's a barista. Bless her heart.

by Anonymousreply 3710/19/2013

fuck makes the coffee bitter. Cold brew.

1 cup coffee 4 cups water - cover let it sit overnight. You have a coffee liquor. Then just add 1/2 coffee liquor to water heat it up in microwave boom best hot coffee you will ever have. Want iced coffee? use the liquor, ice, milk or half and half and sweetener if you damn ice coffe you will ever have.

by Anonymousreply 3810/19/2013

Seems interesting, R38.

by Anonymousreply 3910/19/2013

I have the Nespresso DeLonghi model. It makes great expresso and coffee drinks.

by Anonymousreply 4010/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 4110/19/2013

Yes, r41. I am in rather a hurry.

by Anonymousreply 4210/19/2013

I love a good french roast in a french press.

by Anonymousreply 4310/19/2013

Fuck that. Buy an espresso maker.

by Anonymousreply 4410/19/2013

I have a cuisinart and use some great k cups like Dietrich and Barista. I don't want to deal with a French Press in the morning and my coffee tastes great.

by Anonymousreply 4510/19/2013

I always use my French Press. I only use my larger coffee maker when I have guests. But honestly, I can't think of too many more useless appliances than these single serve coffee makers. What a stupid gimmick.

by Anonymousreply 4610/19/2013

I have a Senseo machine but I find that I rarely use it anymore now that I'm retired. It's not worth the trouble to keep making more cups of coffee when I'm not planning on going out in the morning when I can just make one batch with my 12-cup Mr. Coffee (with a thermal carafe) and drink as much as I want over the course of an hour or two.

When I do plan to go out, I use the Senseo for just one cup, but I do get annoyed at having to use two pods to make one normal-sized mug. Who the hell drinks one six-ounce cup of coffee?

by Anonymousreply 4710/19/2013

I have found that french presses leave a bitter sediment that the paper filters in regular coffee makers remove. Not a fan. I just make less (2-3 cups) in my 10 cup Mr. Coffee. I have the one with the thermal carafe so coffee stays hot longer with no burning.

by Anonymousreply 4810/20/2013

So what's the verdict?

by Anonymousreply 4910/20/2013

I watched that video of the barista btw. It was very educational, but it just seems so... complicated! Needlessly complicated.

I don't understand most of modern living; how did people in the past make coffee (among other things) without all the fancy equipment? What about in rural areas, in third world countries? I know the Indians in South India make the most delicious coffee: it's rich and infused with spices. They sure as hell don't have grinders, electronic timers, french presses!

I would really like to get into this whole coffee ritual to the point where I have the know-how to cull the bullshit and make tasty coffee without all the nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 5010/20/2013

The Mexican pan method uses only a pan and strainer. Into a sauce pan add:

2 cups water, 1/4 cup coarse coffee, 1 table spoon white or brown sugar, 1 cinnamon stick (optional)

Stir and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Strain into cups.

by Anonymousreply 5110/20/2013

R50 I boil water in a kettle. While it's boiling, I grind as much coffee as I need, and put it in the Melitta cone, into which I have first placed a filter. I wet the grounds a little when the water boils, then pour as much water as needed onto the grounds.

It could hardly be simpler. I eyeball the amounts, and I am seldom wrong.

by Anonymousreply 5210/20/2013

I received some K-cup samples in the mail, but I don't have a Keurig brewer. Can I empty the K-cup contents and use in a regular percolator? Or can I use them as instant coffee?

by Anonymousreply 5310/20/2013

Sorry but Love my Keurig.

Fairway in NYC just came out with OneCup pods for Keurigs that are biodegradable with a filter cup instead of the plastic. $7.99 for a dozen

better Environmentally r16 and the brew is pretty good

by Anonymousreply 5410/20/2013

Me, too, R52. I count to six whilst filling the kettle and it is perfect every time. The best thing is that it takes up absolutely no counter space. I put the cone on top of a travel mug with a cover because I have a habit of knocking it over. Perfect every time.

by Anonymousreply 5510/20/2013

R47, these pods work great with the Senseo and taste better. One pod fills the double-pod holder. Just wet the pod down a little before you brew.

by Anonymousreply 5610/20/2013

If you know what this is, you know from a cup of coffee....

by Anonymousreply 5710/20/2013

Get a DeLonghi bean to cup machine. You can use whole beans, or ground coffee, none of those stupid "pods".

by Anonymousreply 5810/20/2013

What a bunch of pretentious snobs.

by Anonymousreply 5910/20/2013

If that's your Pyrex stove-top percolator, you hold onto it because it's worth some money.

If I had the money I'd look for an antique Pyrex vacuum percolator, just for the "coffee theater" aspect.

It would be a good "crowd wow" for guests.

by Anonymousreply 6010/20/2013

R57 R60 We had that coffee pot when I was growing up. It might have made good coffee, but the swill my mother called coffee was so awful, I didn't drink my second cup until I was 25.

It was equal parts coffee, evaporated milk, and sugar. The most G-d awful thing I'd ever tasted (at 5 y.o.)

by Anonymousreply 6110/20/2013

Bunch of Goop readers on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 6210/20/2013

Dear Goop reader at R62, for those among us who are not Goop readers, would you please tell us what the fuck you are talking about?

Many thanks.

by Anonymousreply 6310/20/2013

I get my Nespresso pods at Bloomingdales. Doesn't everyone?

by Anonymousreply 6410/20/2013

I saw an electric percolator at Macy's the other day. I had no idea they still manufactured them. I don't know anyone who uses one-- everyone seems to use one of the drip methods or a French press.

by Anonymousreply 6510/20/2013

I like coffee served in a fancy silver urn that I can dispense at my leisure.

by Anonymousreply 6610/20/2013

R53, yes, you can open the k-cups with a knife and dump the coffee into a filter. I always get those samples too but have no desire for a Keurig.

by Anonymousreply 6710/20/2013

I don't "make" coffee. Rosita makes it. I drink it.

by Anonymousreply 6810/20/2013

Back in the 1950s, we used a Silex to make coffee. The one we used had the glass rod filter. There was also a two cup size. No paper, plastic or metal taste as only glass touched the brew.

by Anonymousreply 6910/20/2013

We had a poll about DL's preferred coffee-making methods last year. French press came in #2

by Anonymousreply 7010/20/2013

[quote]Can I empty the K-cup contents and use in a regular percolator? Or can I use them as instant coffee?

God, some of you are cheap bastards.

by Anonymousreply 7110/20/2013

All that k-cup packaging!

K-cups are probably popular with the plastic bottled water crowd.

And the Tide Pods® people ….

by Anonymousreply 7210/20/2013

So if he tossed the Keurig samples unused, he wouldn't be a cheap bastard?

by Anonymousreply 7310/20/2013

Forget the french press, single serve shit. Get a finum brewing basket, they come in different sizes and work with tea or coffee. Place basket in your cup, add your grounds, fill with hot water, steep, remove basket and voila. Easy as pie. Easier to clean up than a press, nothing sitting on the counter. You can even do as I said and nuke until hot which is what I do.

by Anonymousreply 7410/20/2013

You nuke the steel mesh?

by Anonymousreply 7510/20/2013

Don't you be hatin' on my damn Tide Pods, now! They keep me from over-pouring and spilling that blue shit all over the place!

by Anonymousreply 7610/20/2013

You can buy reusable k-cups and just fill them yourself.

by Anonymousreply 7710/20/2013

French press coffee tastes too borosilicate-y

by Anonymousreply 7810/20/2013

Cool, R74. Thanks!

I will buy.

But like R75 I am wondering how you can microwave the steel mesh.

by Anonymousreply 7910/20/2013

There was a story in the NY Times last year about how nespresso coffee ends up being $35-40 a pound. Suckers.

by Anonymousreply 8010/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!