Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Nantucket, Mass.

I'm curious whether any of you have actually lived there, not just visited. The place is politically liberal -- Scott Brown couldn't carry it against the lame candidacy of Martha Coakley -- yet I have heard it's "rednecky" off-season?

by Anonymousreply 1801/24/2015

I'm sure it's as gray and dreary as the Cape is during winter, including Ptown. Good for alcoholics, though!

by Anonymousreply 110/19/2013

Off-topic, but "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pymm Of Nantucket" is one of E.A Poe's greatest stories.

by Anonymousreply 210/19/2013

If you want to "live" dear, you've got to be on the Vineyard!

by Anonymousreply 310/19/2013

Most year-round Nantucket residents prefer the off-season, for many and varied good reasons. If, OP, you define "rednecky" as "short-tempered with 'round-the-point' entitled assholes", then it is very accurate to describe Nantucketers as "rednecky". However, for anyone who assumes the island's year-round population is primarily unsophisticated provincials, politically reactionaries and "redneck" yokels, an off-season visit might be enlightening.

by Anonymousreply 410/19/2013

I said "rednecky" as that's the way they were described to me by (a non-native) resident there. The year-round residents I know of there aren't that way.

by Anonymousreply 510/19/2013

I enjoyed greatly the very recent reality show called "The Vineyard".

The scenery was so pretty and one could vicariously live through the show's characters, although what they showed of Martha's Vineyard was very limited, but one could sort of pick up the flavor of the place.

by Anonymousreply 610/19/2013

I prefer it off-season, same with the Vineyard and the Cape in general. It's overrun by dumb assholes in the Summer.

I don't take the year-rounders as "rednecky" just standard Yankee curmudgeons. I'm originally from Massachusetts so they seem normal to me.

by Anonymousreply 710/19/2013

Isn't Nantucket extremely expensive? I don't know how it could ever be "rednecky" with most homes selling in the millions of dollars.

by Anonymousreply 810/19/2013

There once was a man from Nantucket...

by Anonymousreply 910/19/2013

[quote]I don't know how it could ever be "rednecky" with most homes selling in the millions of dollars.

Oh, exactly!

by Anonymousreply 1010/19/2013

Tears in Nantucket? Motherfuckit!

by Anonymousreply 1110/19/2013

R8 -- that's mostly seasonal residents, although many natives, especially those with larger lots, have property worth millions also.

by Anonymousreply 1210/19/2013

Im very close with a family who has serious roots there (going back to the mid-19th century) and at one point were the biggest holders of real estate on the island (Hallowell lane is named after them).

Spent many summers there and I can tell you with confidence that the place isn't "rednecky' and the year round residents for the most part are as progressive as you can get for people who are living on an island 365 days a year.

That said, much of the old wealthy set has been supplanted by the douchebag nouveau riche. Most of whom vote Republican.

by Anonymousreply 1310/19/2013

The nouveau riche aren't residents. As a matter of fact, most of them appear, perhaps, for a couple of weeks a summer, but they just LOVE dropping the phrase "my Nantucket place" (roll eyes here).

by Anonymousreply 1410/19/2013

Another winter in a summer town....

by Anonymousreply 1510/19/2013

That's Wrong Island, marble fawn R15. We here, on The Grey Lady, are more likely to think of "the season" as [italic]another summer in a winter town[/italic]!

by Anonymousreply 1610/19/2013

Yet another winter in this summer town....

by Anonymousreply 1701/24/2015

Wouldn't the people who are voting there be ONLY the off-season residents?

by Anonymousreply 1801/24/2015
Need more help? Click Here.