Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Carrie (2013) Is A Box Office Dud

Won't even crack $20 million

1. Gravity 3D (Warner Bros) Week 3 [Runs 3,820] PG13 Friday $8.8M, Weekend $29.3M, Cume $168.9M

2. Carrie (Screen Gems/Sony/MGM) NEW [Runs 3,157] R Friday $7.0M, Weekend $18.0M

3. Captain Phillips (Sony) Week 2 [Runs 3,020] PG13 Friday $5.1M (-41%), Weekend $16.9M, Cume $53.0M

4. Escape Plan (Summit/Lionsgate) NEW [Runs 2,883] R Friday $3.4M, Weekend $9.8M

5. Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 3D (Sony) Week 4 [Runs 3,602] PG Friday $2.6M, Weekend $11.1M, Cume $94.1M

6. The Fifth Estate (DreamWorks/Disney) NEW [Runs 1,769] R Friday $700K, Weekend $2.0M

by Anonymousreply 6110/27/2013

Future President Schwarzenegger apparently can't open a major motion picture anymore.

by Anonymousreply 110/19/2013

Thank god. Hollywood needs to get the message that people are sick to death of unnecessary remakes.

by Anonymousreply 210/19/2013

It deserved to be a dud when the original was already great. Why can't Hollywood quit fucking things up?

by Anonymousreply 310/19/2013

Is Runner Runner #1?

by Anonymousreply 410/19/2013

"With the exception of The Help and Steven Spielberg’s Oscar bait Lincoln, DreamWorks CEO Stacey Snider just keeps presiding over disappointing theatrical openings like I Am Number Four, Cowboys & Aliens, Fright Night, Real Steel, Spielberg’s own War Horse, and now [The Fifth Estate]. Given how small the studio’s annual output is, you’d think Snider could stop whining about financing long enough to oversee better product."

MEOW!!!

by Anonymousreply 510/19/2013

This is one of the bitchiest Box Office Reports that Nikki Finke has ever written:

[quote]Lionsgate/Summit’s been there and done that Escape Plan (opening in 2,883 theaters) pairs Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger in the kind of film their fans used to flock to. Um, those fans have vanished now that both action heroes are more likely to break a hip than open a movie.

[quote]This hyperbolic melodrama earned only a ‘B-’ CinemaScore from audiences which won’t help word of mouth. Its multiple trailers and high-spend TV ads were as misguided as WikiLeaker Julian Assange played by Benedict Cumberbatch who deserved way better than director Bill Condon.

by Anonymousreply 610/19/2013

As far as Fifth Estate, I'm surprised it opened as wide as it did. I was expecting it to open in New York and L.A. and then go directly to video. I guess they wanted to sop up all the free publicity Julian Assange has given it.

With bullying and school violence in the news a "Carrie" remake wasn't an unreasonable proposition, but from everything I've read about it this version doesn't have anything new to bring to it, other than dragging in social media and turning the "Plug it up!" incident into a viral video (such a NEW and NOW idea.)

by Anonymousreply 710/19/2013

War Horse was a disappointment? It seemed critically acclaimed at the time. I can't recall is box office was poor.

Even with all those bombs Snider made up for it with Lincoln and The Butler. Her ratio isn't much worse that the average in Hollywood for many (although that won't help her keep her job when it comes down to it).

Looking at OP's post, Gravity is poised to go well over $200 million domestically. Hank's latest only a mild success (?) is you can call it that. What was the budget for Captain Phillips? inc A&P/M&P.

by Anonymousreply 810/19/2013

I don't think it's a dud. It was #2 behind GRAVITY, which is pretty much what every new film is going to be for a while. I'm sure it didn't cost a super huge amount of money to make, so it will likely make back its budget and then some.

by Anonymousreply 910/19/2013

And it had a female director.

by Anonymousreply 1010/19/2013

[quote]War Horse was a disappointment? It seemed critically acclaimed at the time. I can't recall is box office was poor.

More manipulative sappy melodrama, everything we hate about Spielberg movies rolled into one. All that was missing was the slap-happy darkies.

by Anonymousreply 1110/19/2013

[quote]I don't think it's a dud. It was #2 behind GRAVITY, which is pretty much what every new film is going to be for a while. I'm sure it didn't cost a super huge amount of money to make, so it will likely make back its budget and then some.

Awww Honey, you're sweet. It's October and horror movie season. Even "Paranormal Activity 3" opened at $52.6 million it's opening weekend. "Gravity" is in week three.

"Carrie" has an estimated $30 million budget but add in an advertising campaign three times that.

by Anonymousreply 1210/19/2013

Hahahahahahaha

by Anonymousreply 1310/19/2013

So fucking what, R13? Carrie is not P.A., and P.A. is not Carrie. It'll still likely make its budget back, and then some.

by Anonymousreply 1410/19/2013

If you wanna talk about duds, let's talk about Machete Kills. Lady Gaga certainly did not help rescue the film from the wreck.

by Anonymousreply 1510/19/2013

That's because John Travolta didn't play Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 1610/19/2013

I told you they'd all laugh at you

by Anonymousreply 1710/19/2013

Not only was the original great but the first remake was better than remakes usually are. I like both previous films.

They picked two great actresses for this to play Carrie and her mother, but it was a highly unnecessary to remake it, AGAIN.

by Anonymousreply 1810/19/2013

Looked completely horrible, no way was I going to see some second rate shit show. The nobody who plays Carrie displayed horrible acting in the previews, and she was anything but plain looking. I wish they'd knock that shit off.

If they want to introduce a new generation to an old classic why not release the original in theaters???

by Anonymousreply 1910/19/2013

r19 Carrie was only made once before, by Brian DePalma in the 70s. What other re-make are you referring to?

by Anonymousreply 2010/19/2013

I sure hope the idiots who gave this project the green light are promptly fired. They deserve it for making absolutely moronic decisions.

by Anonymousreply 2110/19/2013

R19 is referring to the 2002 TV remake with Angela Bettis as Carrie and Patricia Clarkson as Margaret.

by Anonymousreply 2210/19/2013

I agree with the reviewer who said Chloë Moretz would have made a better Chris Hargenson. She even looks sort of like Nancy Allen.

by Anonymousreply 2310/19/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2410/19/2013

I'm not sure anyone expected The Fifth Estate to do that well here. People weren't as interested in WikiLeaks in this country as they were overseas. Some of these films, yes, like Carrie, the studios think are going to be huge blockbusters. Films like The Fifth Estate, they don't.

by Anonymousreply 2510/19/2013

[quote]I'm not sure anyone expected The Fifth Estate to do that well here.

It's Oscar season. That's why it was released now.

by Anonymousreply 2610/19/2013

I just saw the Sherleaks movie, I mean the movie about Wikilock.

It's basically "Sherlock" with John wearing a dark beard and glasses and Sherlock with his hair dyed white except black. The weird, tall skinny genius leads the dumbfounded short guy on a thrilling series of adventures. Only Gatiss and Moffat would have come up with better dialogue and plot twists. Good for Cumberbitches though. They were twittering all through the audience in my theater.

by Anonymousreply 2710/19/2013

Gee whiz! I want to thank OP for wasting his time posting all this here as if we couldn't have found it ourselves on the front page of MSNBC.com

You really NEED a life, OP. Go outdoors! Make new friends!

by Anonymousreply 2810/19/2013

Apparently, Sandy is the new Queen of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 2910/19/2013

Why was the other Carrie (2013) thread closed?

by Anonymousreply 3010/19/2013

what happened r31? sometimes they just get dropped due to tech glitches, if no one was discussing anything untoward (racism, n-word use, etc) or fighting.

by Anonymousreply 3110/19/2013

R20===>Tampon about to explode.

by Anonymousreply 3210/20/2013

Saw it last night. It was of course brutal in spots, but the acting was good (Julianne always shines and Chloe made a good Carrie). Chris Hargensen got her comeuppance and THEN some.

by Anonymousreply 3310/20/2013

R20 Maybe they assume youth wouldn't feel like seeing an old film. And it's probably harder to hype up an old film, with a "new" film they can create a fresh marketing campaign. They have to have a gimmick I guess, like the revamped Star Wars trilogy in 1997, or Titanic in 3D.

I know, this whole remake thing really is getting tired.

by Anonymousreply 3410/20/2013

R1 Because Escape Plan appears to be a remake of the prison scenes in Face/Off.

by Anonymousreply 3510/20/2013

Chloe pretty awful. Noticed in kick ass 2 she is that child star whose talent will not translate into adulthood. Success too young destroys most promising talent. She's already phoning it in

by Anonymousreply 3610/20/2013

Saw it and thoroughly enjoyed it. The added gore was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 3710/20/2013

The truth about The Fifth Estate is that, aside from the very, very small minority of Cumberbitches in this world, nobody wants to go see a movie where the lead actor looks like a cockroach mated with a rat. And Wearing a nasty-ass blond wig.

by Anonymousreply 3810/20/2013

[quote]Gee whiz! I want to thank OP for wasting his time posting all this here as if we couldn't have found it ourselves on the front page of MSNBC.com You really NEED a life, OP. Go outdoors! Make new friends!

And yet here YOU are! You must be a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 3910/20/2013

Box Office update. "Carrie" opens at number 3 behind "Gravity" and "Captain Phillips". Embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 4010/20/2013

The first one was excellent and the 2nd one fell into the category of very unnecessary remake; this one is inexplicable.

by Anonymousreply 4110/20/2013

Just goes to show that although there's lots of geeky Internet sturm und drang over Cumberbatch from certain quarters, the real world is very different.

by Anonymousreply 4210/20/2013

Yep, r41, and The Fifth Estate couldn't even hold on to #6 through the weekend, falling to #8, behind Prisoners and Enough Said.

by Anonymousreply 4310/20/2013

The Fifth Estate also got horrible reviews. So the art house crowd looking for Oscar bait obviously stayed far far away.

by Anonymousreply 4410/20/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4510/20/2013

How in holy hell did We're The Millers make $148 million in the US?

by Anonymousreply 4610/20/2013

Yes it is an unnecessary remake but I also liked the added gore.

by Anonymousreply 4710/20/2013

Not only was "Carrie" remade before, but there was also a horrible sequel to the original film called "The Rage: Carrie 2".

by Anonymousreply 4810/20/2013

I always wondered why they killed off Betty Buckley in the original when she lives in the book and the two remakes ,the one with Rena Sofer and the new one with Judy Greer?

by Anonymousreply 4910/20/2013

I liked We Are The Millers and surprising I also liked Jennifer Aniston...

by Anonymousreply 5010/20/2013

We're the Millers was awful, except for a funny blooper/gag during the end credits involving the "Friends" theme song.

by Anonymousreply 5110/20/2013

I think DePalma decided to slice Buckley's character in half because Betty Lynn was such a cunt on set. Even then.

by Anonymousreply 5210/20/2013

Buckley was horrible to Tess Harper during TENDER MERCIES. Tessie is one of the nicest people I know. She's never disclosed what the deal was but apparently Buckley was a real dragon lady during that shoot.

by Anonymousreply 5310/20/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 5410/20/2013

Americans want to see movies about ROCKET SHIPS and PIRATES!

by Anonymousreply 5510/20/2013

If the homosex were involved like in the book it'd better.

by Anonymousreply 5610/21/2013

I liked the remake.

by Anonymousreply 5710/22/2013

The remake really did feel unnecessary. It wasn't bad, it was just pointless. Julianne Moore was fantastic, but I don't think Chloe Moretz held her own, and I usually am very impressed by her. I honestly think she was just too young for the role. Carrie is supposed to be a senior in high school, but Moretz was only fifteen when them filmed, and she both looked and acted her age.

by Anonymousreply 5810/22/2013

A friend is seeing it tonight...she never saw the first. To her, this is just another scary, paranormal teen movie. Maybe it has legs? I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 5910/26/2013

r38

You sound fat

by Anonymousreply 6010/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.