Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Fundraiser ideas

I volunteer with a children's charity in Texas. What are some unusual, but legal, ways we could raise money?

by Anonymousreply 3010/21/2013

Human trafficking.

by Anonymousreply 110/18/2013

Event doesn't matter. Victoria's Secret fashion show and gift bags with dead fetuses.

by Anonymousreply 210/18/2013

Sponsorship from NAMBLA.

by Anonymousreply 310/18/2013

Sponsor a carnival

by Anonymousreply 410/18/2013

Silent auction for kid art. Most of the time it's better than what passes for contemporary art these days.

by Anonymousreply 510/18/2013

NAMBLA

by Anonymousreply 610/18/2013

n00b @ R3/6

by Anonymousreply 710/18/2013

Not really a n00b, I just never thought to type that before. I didn't realize it was...forbidden. Lesson learned.

by Anonymousreply 810/18/2013

Boosterthon, google it.

by Anonymousreply 910/18/2013

Full Monty Show with a lot of weiner

by Anonymousreply 1010/18/2013

Put on a show!

by Anonymousreply 1110/18/2013

Football players. Lots of them and the bigger the better.

by Anonymousreply 1210/18/2013

Do a "Dolly and Me Tea" for all the little darling dears with their American Girl dolls. I do one every year and it is quite successful.

by Anonymousreply 1310/18/2013

M.A.C. cosmetics does greeting cards made from children's artwork.

by Anonymousreply 1410/18/2013

I know you asked what to do, but what not to do is one of those three dimensional metal Christmas Tree ornaments. They are a great way to lose money

by Anonymousreply 1510/18/2013

Silent auctions are fun, and if you've earned your gay card at all you have at least a dozen talented artists and crafts people in your circle of friends and contacts.

by Anonymousreply 1610/18/2013

[quote]Silent auctions are fun, and if you've earned your gay card at all you have at least a dozen talented artists and crafts people in your circle of friends and contacts.

Silent auctions, tricky trays, Chinese auctions, what ever you call them, have been a staple for fundraising for years. The problem today is that nobody wants to take the effort to wrangle the donations.

I do a Gala every year. We raise about 75,000.00 after expenses. The majority of that is from a silent auction and a live auction, but each year the volunteers whine about it being sooooo much work. Can't we charge a higher ticket price. Can't we do a Kickstarter campaign.

My favorites are the corporate types who do a labor vs profit analysis and argue that we are not making enough money based on the time involved. That is the fucking point of fundraising! You volunteer your time and labor to do something or create something that would not be cost effective otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 1710/18/2013

Another vote for the silent auction of children's artwork.

by Anonymousreply 1810/18/2013

it's texas you can

auction off illegals

have a raffle for rifle (or ak 47)

You should have a big poster with asians of all types and the person who guesses how many are from korea wins!!

by Anonymousreply 1910/18/2013

I think a mashed potato martini bar would be ... well, bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 2010/18/2013

A vote for silent auction but AGAINST children's artwork. It's a bunch of fraus pushing that in this thread, right? Let's cut the bullshit, ladies. No one will actually pay for your kids' crayola scribbles. They certainly won't be clamoring to outbid each other on it.

Get your artistic friends to donate real art. You're not going to raise any money with Jayden's refrigerator art.

by Anonymousreply 2110/18/2013

R21, as much as a hate to say it, R21 speaks the truth. Christmas cards with children's artwork is really over done, and quite frankly, I don't imagine there is much profit in it. No one is really going to spend big bucks on kids artwork.

What does get high bids (at least in the North East) is use of a vacation home for a weekend. Anytime we have someone offer a vacation home in PA, VT, NH, or ME, we rake in the dough. I don't know if that would translate to TX.

by Anonymousreply 2210/18/2013

So, what does TLPG stand for? What else is banned? I know about the E-word.

by Anonymousreply 2310/18/2013

I did a fund raiser once that set up a big room and had everyone do a survey. Instead of getting paid for it they gave money to everyone who took the survey.

It was pretty painless taking it. I'm not sure how they found a company to set it up though.

by Anonymousreply 2410/18/2013

Get ten or twelve married women on your committee, and have them force their husbands into doing a drag pageant. It's really irresistible. Sell tickets to the event, then sell "votes" at the event during intermission for the audience to stuff into the "ballot box" of their favorite.

You'll make a fortune, and have a lot of laughs.

by Anonymousreply 2510/18/2013

Is OP even reading these?

by Anonymousreply 2610/19/2013

Bump for the shut down.

by Anonymousreply 2710/19/2013

I'm not satisfied with any of these ideas.

by Anonymousreply 2810/19/2013

children=free labor. That's why in the olden days, car washes were the preferred charity moyen for helping children. Sadly, liability issues put paid to that.

by Anonymousreply 2910/20/2013

R29, we still have car washes by high school kids here in NJ. The liability issue must be a local thing.

That said, all fundraising is about free labor. As I mentioned up thread, that is kind of the point of fundraising. Even the auction items often boil down to giving to the charity and getting free XXX (Interior design advice, cooking classes, yoga instruction, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 3010/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.