Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Uh, oh. BART strike. City on fire! City on Fire!

I have no sympathy for this particular, greedy union.

by SF Charwomanreply 1810/19/2013

Absolutely f*kin' ridiculous. They want to keep the bit where you can work four days, call in sick on the fifth, then show up on the sixth, weekend, and get double pay. I hope they rot.

by SF Charwomanreply 110/17/2013

If only we could fire them ALL. There would be many many people willing to work for the wages and benefits they have now.

by SF Charwomanreply 210/17/2013

Station attendant makes $63,000 a year base. Some make $147,000 with OT.

There is a list published by the SFGATE. Unbelievable. Greedy.

by SF Charwomanreply 310/17/2013

Cost of living in the Bay Area is very high. Bart workers need to be paid a decent wage that allows them to be able to live in this area. They have every right to strike and stand up for themselves.

by SF Charwomanreply 410/17/2013

Totally agree with r4. We should ALL have the protections and workers' rights that BART workers are going for. As usual, rich people and their ass kissers always trash the people who actually RUN this country.

by SF Charwomanreply 510/17/2013

They take it out on the poor people. Many depend on BART to get to their crummy jobs. Seriously, the rich honestly don't give a f*k because they're in their cars.

by SF Charwomanreply 610/17/2013

Yes, the BART workers have the right to strike, and BART then has the right to fire them for cause. Much like Freedom of Speech in which you have the right to say what you want, but along with that you have to accept the consequences of your actions.

by SF Charwomanreply 710/18/2013

Facts are such that train operators do nothing. All is computer controlled from BART headquarters in Oakland. Even janitors' base pay is $70K/yr plus amazing Health and pension benefits and generous sick leave and vacation rules. Stations remain filthy.

Probably one on the cushiest jobs today. Fewer applicants for any BART job get hired at lower levels than those who do get accepted as applicants to Harvard. Yes, living in the Bay Area is expensive, but this is out of control and unreasonable. The frequent OT pay for those covering for their colleagues' generous sick leave is appalling.

I normally side with Labor, but this is absurd. They're like the greedy Tea Party GOP of unions. The working public is unsympathetic. This strike will bite them in the ass. The strike causes severe hardships for folks trying to get to and from their jobs to survive. Even the daily thread of a strike has already taken its toll.

I generally support MUNI and AC Transit bus drivers and cops' unions for the crazy bullshit and hazards they have to put up with everyday, but BART workers have it so easy. And yet they want to cripple the whole Bay Area economy and cause average, working people to lose out on working. All because they want better compensation than the average Bay Area researcher working on cancer research. Disgusting.

This thing affects millions of people and the regional economy in one way or another. Not a good time to get greedy while the rest of us struggle to do harder work at much lower pay with zero health and retirement benefits.

by SF Charwomanreply 810/18/2013

by SF Charwomanreply 910/18/2013

I'm a union member in SF (not BART related) and I'm fed up with BART workers. My union took a lot of cuts over the past 5 years and I believe BART workers need to do the same.

After we took our cuts, we still had a decent wages, benefits, etc. I believe in unions, but I also believe people need to bend a little and not take advantage of the system.

by SF Charwomanreply 1010/18/2013

Question for the posters who denounce the BART workers: Do the increased burdens on employees for pension and healthcare equal or even exceed the pay raises that management has offered? If the increase in healthcare and pension burdens exceed the raises, then clearly management is offering a pay cut not a pay raise, no?

by SF Charwomanreply 1110/18/2013

Would someone post a thread titled: " Post your comments here re: San Francisco, Castro, and Gays after/during the Tech Invasion" And also post this link to Gawker.

by SF Charwomanreply 1210/18/2013

r11 - from what I understand, it's either a pay cut or they're breaking even. Management is trying to make it sound like BART employees will be getting a decent raise. That's not really the case when pension and healthcare contributions are taken into account.

by SF Charwomanreply 1310/18/2013

I don't know enough about the BART budget to really take a "side" in this but I personally remain sympathetic to any average joe worker -- even the lucky ones -- who want to preserve their wages in this economy and social order. If in fact management is really offering a net cut in pay (taking health care and pension contributions into account), then I can see why union would be pissed and would walk out. My ONLY reservation is the report that BART management offered to resolve outstanding issues -- the nature of which I don't know -- to binding arbitration for resolution. Can't they find an arbitrator that both sides trust?

by SF Charwomanreply 1410/18/2013

San Fran is a weird place

by SF Charwomanreply 1510/18/2013

I work for BART and we very hard. Just having to deal with all the scummy customers should make us eligible for hazard pay.

by SF Charwomanreply 1610/18/2013

R16, are you very hard because you're horny or just back from the gym.

by SF Charwomanreply 1710/18/2013

I don't think I've never noticed a BART employee, but MUNI workers are Satan's minions on earth.

by SF Charwomanreply 1810/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!