Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Well, um, ya know, well.... .Entitled, rich white bitch Caroline Kennedy is confirmed as United States ambassador to Japan

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 3410/19/2013

Why all the hatred towards her?

by Anonymousreply 110/17/2013

there have been many more who were far less qualified --- plus, I do think she is one of that clan who actually works for a living.

by Anonymousreply 210/17/2013

Works at What?

by Anonymousreply 310/17/2013

She is far more experienced in political circles and high-level government than most ambassadors. Furthermore, she's had to carry the Kennedy camelot crap on her shoulders her whole life. I think she could handle herself in any situation with anyone.

Just what exactly do you think trains someone to be an ambassador? Typically, it's just given to rich donors.

by Anonymousreply 410/17/2013

Considering that Tokyo has worsening levels of radioactivity as time goes on, she's crazy to want the job. She can have it.

by Anonymousreply 510/17/2013

Ambassadorships have always ben handed out on a political basis; this isn't really anything new or noteworthy.

by Anonymousreply 610/17/2013

There are qualifications for ambassador that have nothing to do with the qualifications for the rest of the diplomatic corps. For instance, the Japanese, both the public and the ruling elite, are likely flattered that the daughter of a martyred President and a member of such a prominent family, known for public service, is representing the US. Many cultures put a lot of value in ancestry and family, more than Americans do. I used to know Caroline -- it's been many years, since college -- and remember her as a sweet girl who liked her pot. People who've worked with her on philanthropic projects seem to like her. They say that she is gracious, doesn't think she knows everything, works conscientiously. She'll probably be terrific.

by Anonymousreply 710/17/2013

Well, she couldn't seem to get herself assassinated in America, so naturally she's moved on to fresh territory to see if it makes a difference.

by Anonymousreply 810/17/2013

I wonder if she ever saw John John naked?

by Anonymousreply 910/17/2013

I hope she gets to meet Maru.

by Anonymousreply 1010/17/2013

She'll have to dress like this.

by Anonymousreply 1110/17/2013

Japan? Fine. It's a vanity post and I'm sure she'll drink tea with aplomb.

It was Caroline's acting as if she were qualified for the Senate that was offensive, OP (and R1) not this silly ambassadorship.

by Anonymousreply 1210/17/2013

Um, like, she is so, um, lucky, errrr, that she, uh, is a Kennedy. Never has someone so stupid been afforded so many undeserved opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 1310/17/2013

[quote]Never has someone so stupid been afforded so many undeserved opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 1410/17/2013

Caroline better make sure she doesn't drink the water, or eat the food, and she needs an airtight chamber at the residence. That damned country is contaminated with nuclear waste from that nuclear power plant and the tsunami. You couldn't pay me a million dollars a day to be in Japan for any reason.

by Anonymousreply 1510/17/2013

r7 - you are far too rational and circumspect for the DL. You must leave immediately via the secret trap door. Via con dios.

by Anonymousreply 1610/17/2013

She's just as qualified as Shirley Temple was as an ambassador to Ghana.

by Anonymousreply 1710/17/2013

Hast this thread been done before?

by Anonymousreply 1810/17/2013

I think so, r18.

I remember a similar thread.

by Anonymousreply 1910/17/2013

R7 & R12 said it all; if she'd been nominated for a post like Mexico, Morocco or Thailand, we'd have cause for alarm.

by Anonymousreply 2010/17/2013

Original thread, originality...

by Anonymousreply 2110/17/2013

She is educated, likable, famous, and grew up in an environment where she traveled and met foreign leaders.

by Anonymousreply 2210/17/2013

Umm... R22? Her meet-foreign-leaders father died when she was a baby and her mother then married Ari Onassis. After the Onassis thing, her mother lived in NYC and pretended to be an editor.

Caroline married a designer/author, became an author/socialite herself and was not involved in politics in NY or anywhere else. She didn't even vote half the time.

I don't care if she's ambassador to Japan, or to some other non-essential post, but let's not play "She's qualified for a serious political position" because she isn't. If she wants to spend several years becoming qualified for public office - that's fine and good luck to her.

by Anonymousreply 2310/17/2013

R23 You're not supposed to speak common sense on these threads.

I didn't realize the Japanese still bought into the Camelot fairytale.

by Anonymousreply 2410/17/2013

"After the Onassis thing, her mother lived in NYC and pretended to be an editor."

I'd love to hear more about this, as I thought I had always heard that Jackie was respected in the publishing world - was she actually incompetent or something?

by Anonymousreply 2510/18/2013

You fail to understand that the Japanese are eager for Carolyn. They like having a high profile ambassador. Carolyn is gracious, she has a law degree, she is a good mother and responsible citizen. The Kennedy clan has always worked to support the least among us.

Find another bone to chew you fucking asshole

by Anonymousreply 2610/18/2013

She'll be fine. Just learn to say "ano" instead of "eh, um, ya know."

by Anonymousreply 2710/18/2013

The true insult to the word Ambassador is that decorator Michael Smith's boyfriend, a former HBO exec was named ambassador to Spain because Smith did the White House and worked the Obama's till they agreed. What are his qualifications? A knowledge of Chintz and how to keep HBO divas happy?

by Anonymousreply 2810/18/2013

[quote]She's just as qualified as Shirley Temple was as an ambassador to Ghana.

Shirley Temple doesn't hem and haw and say "umm" or "you know" after every fourth word.

by Anonymousreply 2910/18/2013

Her face is very wrinkled. I bet she has ugly feet. Mannish feet in need of a pedicure. She will look terrible in sandals.

by Anonymousreply 3010/18/2013

Hahaha... OP is JEALOUS!

by Anonymousreply 3110/18/2013

[quote]I'd love to hear more about this, as I thought I had always heard that Jackie was respected in the publishing world - was she actually incompetent or something?

Yes, she was pretty incompetent as an editor. She was never a particularly bright woman to begin with, although she had good fashion sense and often knew how to read and then play people well.

She was respected as the widow of a tragically murdered and much-loved President of the United States. They just sort of overlooked the whole Ari thing, as did we all, and they overlooked that she was not a serious or substantially intellectual person, but not all of us did that.

Once JFK was assassinated, it really didn't matter what she really was - nor what she did. She was - forever - the brave and sympathetic Widow Kennedy who stood by the side of the road with her children as her dead husband's casket rolled by, and that was that.

She did take more of an interest and do a better job with her kids than most Kennedys by marriage or birth. She also orchestrated and designed every moment of JFK's funeral. The casket on the cart, the horse with the backward's boots ("borrowed" from Lincoln's funeral), every visual, the whole thing. She did a brilliant job of it and should have gone into some field that would have used those almost infallible instincts, rather than spending the occasional day at a publishing house.

Mostly she liked to shop.

by Anonymousreply 3210/18/2013

There are two books about Jackie's publishing work that contradict everything you say about her as an editor. For one thing, her connections and influence helped her acquire many best-sellers from writers eager to work with her.

What are your qualifications to judge her efficacy at the job? Did you work with her?

by Anonymousreply 3310/18/2013

Very well put R32.

by Anonymousreply 3410/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!