Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are you planning to boycott Ender's Game?

The author of the book, who also has a producing credit on the film, is an outspoken opponent of same-sex marriage and a notorious Mormon homophobe. But the producing company, Lion's Gate, actively supports same-sex marriage and has given same-sex partners employee benefits for many years.

Some friends are going, but will be making a donation to a gay organization to counteract any damage their ticket price might give. Others don't care, while still others are outraged that anyone would even think of going to see the film.

How about you?

by Anonymousreply 5611/28/2013

I think art stands outside its creator. I love W.B. Yeats's poetry despite the fact that he was a rightwing fanatic.

by Anonymousreply 110/17/2013

Pssst! I listen to Wagner.

by Anonymousreply 510/17/2013

Unless it stars Celia Imrie, Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, or Anne Reid, no.

by Anonymousreply 610/17/2013

The market of this movie is kids, right?

by Anonymousreply 810/17/2013

No way, we should all hate-masturbate to a pic of that jerk.

by Anonymousreply 910/17/2013

Can you boycott something you had no intention of seeing?

by Anonymousreply 1010/17/2013

Any early word on whether it's actually any good? I must admit the trailer, which I saw last weekend before "Gravity," piqued my interest.

I'm not big on boycotts, particularly in a muddled situation like this one. But what I'm not interested in is just the latest lame H'wood sci-fi "epic."

by Anonymousreply 1110/17/2013

From what I've seen, it looks like a huge piece of shit, so I won't be going anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1210/17/2013

Not interested. If I were interested I'd refuse to see the film because Card has pissed me off SO much, but the truth is he's such a crappy writer that you couldn't drag me in.

Many years ago, I was urged to read his stuff, and FYI he's a lousy writer who can only see things from the POV of young boys. He has a tiny, stunted, boring little mind.

by Anonymousreply 1310/17/2013

Like that would make a lick of difference anyway, r3.

by Anonymousreply 1410/17/2013

Juanita is making posters, and Garth is organizing a big protest in the cafeteria. We can talk about it in fifth period study hall. We have to stand together!!!

by Anonymousreply 1510/17/2013

I'm not seeing it. Not because Card opposes marriage equality, but because he stole the premise from The Last Starfighter.

by Anonymousreply 1710/17/2013

I once boycotted Eastenders gamely. The boycott failed.

by Anonymousreply 1910/17/2013

Are you implying this puerile,overblown,corporate piece of green screened CGI bullshit is ART?!

by Anonymousreply 2010/17/2013

It breaks my heart to see Harrison Ford looking so old and dissipated in the trailer of this shitty movie.

I was absolutely in love with him when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 2110/17/2013

At the time Orson Scott Card wrote "Ender's Game" there wasn't much of a hint of what an asshole he'd later become. People I know that have known him for years suspect a medical issue resulting in a radical personality shift.

The story is compelling, and I think it will be interesting to see if they can pull it off in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 2210/18/2013

I sort of intend to, but I'm also waiting for the reviews. If they're really, really good, I might go see a matinee. If they're anything less than really, really good, I'll wait for cable. Anything less than that, and I won't bother at all.

by Anonymousreply 2310/18/2013

Please don't see this movie. But if you must, get a pirated edition so that Mr. Homophobe-Card does not profit.

by Anonymousreply 2410/20/2013

That, or buy a ticket for another film and then go in.

by Anonymousreply 2510/20/2013

Another child saving the universe movie.

by Anonymousreply 2610/20/2013

I was such a fan of this book growing up before I knew of Orson Scott Card's homophobia (thought I am fairly certain he is deep in the closet so I almost feel bad for him, almost).

I'm definitely going to see this movie in the theater. Judge away, I don't eat at Chic-fil-a and wouldn't buy Barilla pasta, but I do want to see this movie. And I want to see it on the big screen.

by Anonymousreply 2710/20/2013

I'm going with r25's strategy.

by Anonymousreply 2810/20/2013

There are no caftans,drag queens or blacks in this film,right? Not only am I not interested in this film but I can always turn to Tyler Perry for that type of stuff anyway.....

by Anonymousreply 2910/20/2013

Not so much boycotting as not giving a damn. It's not the type of movie I go see. And I already have plenty of movies I'd love to see, which interest me far more.

by Anonymousreply 3010/20/2013

I listened to the audiobook of Ender's Game few years ago, not knowing anything about the author. Didn't really like the book, and in the end felt like the author was a pedophile. I know when I say that some people bring out Rawlings or other writers writing about kids, but I don't know, there just was something weird about how Card dealt with children in the book.

When it turned out he's a Mormon homophobe I can't say I was surprised at all. The fundies always love to hand out death sentences to other people, and in Card's case I suspect he's either a pedo or closet gay, but I don't know him so probably I'm just trying to understand his actions.

Won't be seeing the movie, since after having learnt all the things Card has said and done against gays I just wouldn't be able to enjoy the film at all. I suspect the film will open pretty big, and I'm a bit sad about it but what can you do. I've read fan comments about his homophobia at movie sites and many try to distance Card's words and actions from his books while some just don't care. There are some straight people who say that because they support their gay relatives or friends they will be boycotting the film.

by Anonymousreply 3110/20/2013

R27, you can rationalize it that Card has already been paid. Whether the movie is a success or it flops, he's already paid and it won't make a difference in how much he's paid.

by Anonymousreply 3210/20/2013

Oh, and I don't like Lion's Gate much. They're pretty much a bunch of woman haters and the stuff they put out isn't really moving humanity forward.

by Anonymousreply 3310/20/2013

R32, that is not true if he gets a percentage of the gross, or the merchandising, or gets paid for promoting the film.

I have no idea if he's actually being paid for any of that crap, of course.

by Anonymousreply 3410/21/2013

Also, if the first one doesn't do well, sequels are less likely to follow.

by Anonymousreply 3510/21/2013

Opens today.

by Anonymousreply 3611/01/2013

some messiah like child killing space monsters sounds puerile, no thanks.

by Anonymousreply 3711/01/2013

For actor Harrison Ford, who is starring in a movie adaptation of Orson Scott Card's heralded and popular novel "Ender's Game," statements against same-sex marriage by the science-fiction author "are not an issue for me."

At a Comic-Con news conference on Thursday, Ford responded to concerns that Card's comments have overshadowed the production of the movie. The author of the 1985 novel professed his opposition to same-sex marriage in 2009 when he joined he board of the National Organization for Marriage, which opposes same-sex unions.

Although Card released a statement declaring the same-sex marriage issue "moot" after last month's Supreme Court ruling striking down a key part of the Defense of Marriage Act, the film has continued to be plagued by controversy.

Ford told reporters that while he fundamentally disagrees with the author's stance, the film stands separate from the issue.

"I think none of Mr. Card's concerns regarding the issues of gay marriage are part of the thematics of this film," Ford said. "He has written something that I think is of value to us all concerning moral responsibility. I think his views outside of those that we deal with in this film are not an issue for me to deal with and something I have really no opinion on.

"I am aware of his statements admitting that the question of gay marriage is a battle that he lost and he admits that he lost it. I think we all know that we've all won. That humanity has won. And I think that's the end of the story."

by Anonymousreply 3811/01/2013

[quote]Not so much boycotting as not giving a damn. It's not the type of movie I go see.

This. I'm "boycotting" this the way I boycott Chik-fil-a -- meaning that I wouldn't have anything to do with it in any case.

by Anonymousreply 3911/01/2013

It's possible to enjoy the work of an author that you disagree with politically. Evelyn Waugh, for example, was a nasty, right-wing Tory, but I can't deny that I enjoy many of his satirical novels.

I guess it depends on whether the writer is superbly talented. Since I never read The Hunger Games or seen the film, I really can't say, but from the previews it looks like another overbloated visual effects popcorn flick, certainly no high art.

by Anonymousreply 4011/01/2013

BoxOfficeMojo is predicting 27 million opening.

I've been so disappointed with the humanity lately that I wouldn't be surprised if it opened 50+ million. Really ugly homophobic comments at movie sites' reader comments, I don't even bother to read them anymore.

by Anonymousreply 4111/01/2013

I replied above that it would depend on the reviews.

The reviews are not good enough to get me to pay for this thing.

I'm now going to wait for cable.

by Anonymousreply 4211/01/2013

I am boycotting like I do all of OSC's work. I am a scifi geek and film buff so it's a true, deliberate boycott.

by Anonymousreply 4311/01/2013

Despite months of mixed buzz, little star power outside of Harrison Ford in a supporting role, and controversy of author Orson Scott Card’s anti-gay (and vaguely racist) political views, Lionsgate’s Ender’s Game debuted with solid opening day numbers. Mostly financed by OddLot, the $110 million adaptation of Card’s acclaimed and much-celebrated sci-fi novel from 1985 earned a decent $9 million on its first Friday. That’s over/under what The Host ($10.6m), Beautiful Creatures ($7.5m), and The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones ($9.3m) earned over their entire respective Fri-Sun debut weekends.

by Anonymousreply 4411/02/2013

Sci-fi epic Ender's Game is off to a pleasing start at the North American box office, where it could gross $9 million on Friday for a weekend gross in the $25 million to $30 million range. That includes $1.4 million in Thursday night earnings.Ender's Game, a co-production between Summit Entertainment, OddLot Entertainment and Digital Domain, is the latest YA film property to attempt to establish a franchise. The action adventure, costing $110 million to make, is based on the best-selling novel of the same name by Orson Scott Card, whose anti-gay comments have riled many. (Though he has said Ender's Game isn't a YA property, it has been made widely available in schools.)

Directed by Gavin Hood, the movie stars Asa Butterfield, Harrison Ford, Ben Kingsley, Viola Davis, Hailee Steinfeld and Abigail Breslin. Set in the near future, the story revolves around a young boy (Butterfield) who is recruited by the military to stop an alien race from destroying the world.

Ender's Game is a sizeable gamble for Gigi Pritzker's OddLot, which financed much of the movie and dispatched sister company Sierra/Affinity to sell it internationally. Last weekend, Ender's Game debuted at a soft No. 5 in the U.K. with just under $2 million, but the film could make up ground as it continues to roll out in additional foreign markets.

PHOTOS: 25 of Fall's Most Anticipated Movies: 'Ender's Game,' 'Catching Fire,' 'The Wolf of Wall Street' and More

Outside of The Hunger Games and Twilight film franchises, YA film properties have struggled at the box office. This year, The Host, Beautiful Creatures and Mortal Instruments: City of Bones all flopped.

The other two new nationwide entries this weekend are Relativity Media and Reel FX's animated 3D pic Free Birds and CBS Films' sexagenarian comedy Last Vegas, starring Robert De Niro, Michael Douglas, Morgan Freeman and Kevin Kline as four friends in their 60s who travel to Las Vegas for a bachelor party. Mary Steenburgen also stars.

Free Birds, costing $55 million to produce and marking Relativity's first foray into the animation business, is projected to open in the $16 million to $19 million range, based on early Friday numbers. The movie -- about a pair of turkeys who travel back in time to prevent their kind from becoming the traditional holiday meal -- should benefit from being the only new family entry in the market. (Entertainment One is distributing in Canada.) The voice cast is led by Owen Wilson, Woody Harrelson and Amy Poehler.

Last Vegas is aiming to open in the $14 million to $15 million range. Older moviegoers rarely rush to see a film on its opening weekend. CBS Films believes Last Vegas will serve as strong counterprogramming throughout the month. In August 2012, Hope Springs, starring Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones, opened to a modest $14.7 million on its way to earning $63.5 million domestically and a hearty $114.3 million globally.

by Anonymousreply 4511/02/2013

Impact of the protest of author Orson Scott Card’s comments appears muted. “Last Vegas” gets out fast but “Free Birds” starts slowly

“Ender’s Game,” the futuristic adventure tale based on Orson Scott Card’s 1985 classic sci-fi novel, blasted off at the box office with a nearly $10 million Friday.

That projects to a roughly $27 million weekend for the Lionsgate thriller, which would be enough to top last week’s No. 1 movie, “Jackass Present: Bad Grandpa. ”Paramount’s R-rated Johnny Knoxville comedy dropped just 44 percent from last Friday and brought in $6 million, good for second place and a likely $17 million three-day total.

Also read: Orson Scott Card Won’t Make Squat From ‘Ender’s Game’ Box Office – Boycott the Book Instead (Exclusive)

It was running ahead of the weekend’s other two wide openers, the geriatric bachelor party comedy “Last Vegas” and the 3D animated “Free Birds, which are tracking for three-day totals of $15 million and $14 million respectively.

An online “Skip Ender’s Game” campaign,” organized by a group called Geeks Out that is protesting Card’s anti-gay marriage comments, has attracted more than 11,000 signatures. There’s no way of knowing how many people stayed away, but Friday’s numbers are a little stronger than analysts had projected, so any impact appears muted. The studio and film’s creative team have all distanced themselves from Card’s comments.

First-night audiences gave a “B+” CinemaScore to “Ender’s Game,” which the distributor and backers Summit Entertainment, Odd Lot Entertainment and Digital Domain hope can launch a young adult franchise. Lionsgate is the studio behind the hugely lucrative “Twilight” and “Hunger Games” movie series.

by Anonymousreply 4611/02/2013

Thankfully Ender's Game has only brought in 54 million worldwide at this point. Apparently a sequel is out of the question because of the low box office but Lionsgate is talking about a possible tv spinoff. I wonder if the talk of the tv show is just to keep the flame alive until the movie runs completely out of steam in the worldwide cinema. Then Ender will just be forgotten like they did with Golden Compass (which I btw liked a lot) and Mortal Instruments.

by Anonymousreply 4711/13/2013

hahahaha. Ender's Game made just 92 dollars a screen this last Thursday. It's a fucking flop.

by Anonymousreply 4811/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 4911/22/2013

The funny part is that Card's compensation is all on the back end. He ain't getting shit!

by Anonymousreply 5011/22/2013

It's 2nd weekend was a disaster, 10 million. With a 110 million budget and not a penny coming from overseas, everyone involved on financing this is taking a huge bath.

Serves them fucking right, and I am so tired of hearing how much people trying to elevate a genocidal homophobe really, really like gay people.

And fuck Harrison Ford, what a giant fake that asshole is.

by Anonymousreply 5111/23/2013

Hopefully no sequels will follow.

by Anonymousreply 5211/23/2013

R51, you can't blame Harrison Ford for taking the money. You just know he was paid up-front.

by Anonymousreply 5311/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 5411/26/2013

The point of boycotting products, projects, etc. that are linked to notorious homophobes like Card is not to do monetary damage (because it's usually small or difficult to measure), but to penalize everyone associated with the Cards of this world. They get tar and feathered, metaphorically speaking. They get judged. They get disliked, even loathed. And it will affect their marketability. Some producers--not all, but some--will think twice about hiring Harrison Ford after this. Or, to pick a more vivid example, that young woman who was in Legally Blonde and tweeted how much she loved Chick-fil-A is probably all but unemployable now, because musical theatre has so many gay people in it. She'll have to work in so-called "Christian" show biz, which is marginal. Just ask that loathsome Rick Santorum.

by Anonymousreply 5511/26/2013

R55, you are correct.

by Anonymousreply 5611/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!