Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Furor Over Binge Drinking Advice to Young Women

Emily Yoffe (Slate's Dear Prudence) wrote an article a couple of days ago advising college aged women not to drive heavily as a way of reducing their risk of being sexually assaulted. I didn't think much of the article in so much as I thought it was just a well-written article advocating good common sense practices. But boy, Yoffe is being pushed through the wood chipper by other writers screaming that she is "blaming the victim". IMO she is doing no such thing at all.

Salon, The Atlantic, HuffPo and others are piling on. I'm stunned.

by Anonymousreply 11010/19/2013

Isn't it furore? And maybe fury.

by Anonymousreply 110/17/2013

Also Führer, of course. But that's an entirely different matter.

by Anonymousreply 210/17/2013

Drive heavily? So she wants them to walk everywhere?

by Anonymousreply 310/17/2013

Drunk girls are just as stupid as guys. They don't get a pass for that.

by Anonymousreply 410/17/2013

How does one drive heavily?

by Anonymousreply 510/17/2013

damn.

by Anonymousreply 610/17/2013

Some people like to deal in absolutes instead of common sense. Of course anyone should be able to do whatever they want and be safe. The in the real world getting sloshed makes you vulnerable to all sorts of things.

by Anonymousreply 710/17/2013

So that's a typo and she's advocating young women not drink heavily? That seems smart.

by Anonymousreply 810/17/2013

If I advise grown men to avoid walking alone at night through the worst part of town, is that "blaming the victim"?

by Anonymousreply 910/17/2013

You see if you drink and drive, the law says because you knew getting drunk was bad YOU'RE RESPONSIBLE.

But the fraus of the USA passed laws that say if you drink and have sex, YOU'RE NOT RESPONSIBLE for anything.

Why the conflict? Because Americans are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 1110/17/2013

R10, women are far more likely to be raped if drunk. They are also far more likely to make poor choices that will contribute to being raped.

Men are far less likely to be raped (or even assaulted) period. While, a man would be far more likely to be raped if drunk, the chances of it happening are so slim that to compare the two situations is dishonest.

Women are not interchangeable with men.

by Anonymousreply 1310/17/2013

If you care so much, why don't you go over to Slate and make the 10,438th comment on the article?

by Anonymousreply 1410/17/2013

The anger is because it suggests that men are not responsible for their behavior at all. That if they see a drunk girl, she's fair game for rape, which is to be expected. Guys will be guys, so of course they will try to have sex with a living corpse. It puts all the responsibility on the girls to keep from getting assaulted while passed out.

What's next? Suggesting young women wear burkas so men won't be "tempted" to rape them.

Reminds me of that movie "Sixteen Candles" when the hunk offers up his girl friend to the nerd to date rape her while she's passed out because "she won't know the difference." No one ever questioned that scene at the time ('80's) and the hunk was depicted as a hero in the movie, not some creep. You'd never see a scene like that now.

by Anonymousreply 1510/17/2013

I just don't get the anger at the article by women. As a woman who used to drink a lot, I am stunned that I didn't end up raped or worse, dead, in my drunken days.

I don't consider the advice of controlled drinking in a social situation to be blaming the victim at all. Look, we can only control our own behavior, not that of others. In a perfect world, men wouldn't prey upon women who were inebriated or buzzed. But some men do. And since it's not a perfect world and we can't control others' behavior, the only behavior we can control is our own, so just moderate your drinking when out socially. I'm not saying don't drink at all, just watch yourself when out at a bar or a party.

And if you really need to be totally inebriated whenever you are drinking, then, well, you have a problem and probably need to get help for it.

by Anonymousreply 1710/17/2013

R16, actually you are wrong, but thank you for the analogy. Yes, if someone is drunk and someone steals his or her wallet, I do blame the person for being drunk.

According to most of the logic here, if I leave my store wide open all night long and someone robs me, I should not be blamed for leaving my store unlocked and unattended. Sorry, that is not the real world.

Also, there is a lot of poor reasoning. The notion that women are responsible for their choices, does not automatically mean that men are not responsible for their choices. To state that one is inherent in the other is false.

by Anonymousreply 1810/17/2013

I only know how to drive heavily.

by Anonymousreply 1910/17/2013

I'm not making up my mind on this question until I hear what Olivia Benson says.

by Anonymousreply 2110/17/2013

R22, you aren't paying attention. The aricles are out there. Most universities also have have alcohol education. The problem is that alcohol as male bonding is so ingrained into our culture that all the articles and eduction in the world is not going to counteract the Hangover franchise.

by Anonymousreply 2610/17/2013

Good girls don't drink, swear, or get themselves "in trouble".

by Anonymousreply 2710/17/2013

r28 Again you seem to be locked in a black/white mindset.

[quote]If a straight guy sees a drunk girl he'll rape her and her fault for being smashed. He was just being a guy.

That is not true. The majority of straight guys would not take advantage of the situation. Second, if he was to rape her, it would not, as a rule, be dismissed as a guy being a guy. The fact is that society can see the rapist as a criminal and see the woman has having made bad choices which contributed to the situation. It is not black and white.

by Anonymousreply 3010/17/2013

The wig troll is here. He must have lost his hair at a very early age to be so obsessed with other men's follicles.

by Anonymousreply 3110/17/2013

[quote]The anger is because it suggests that men are not responsible for their behavior at all.

I think decades and decades of anti-rape teaching to young men hasn't done any good because of biological hardwiring. So, the sensible thing is to acknowledge that there will always be rape and make suggestions to women on how to avoid it. The idea that we'll eradicate rape through educating males is patently absurd, a PC feminist fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 3210/17/2013

The article is not saying that it is the girl's fault for being drunk nor does it say that the guy is blameless.

What she is clearly saying over and over is that the female needs to protect herself because so many guys are pigs. If you are raped, it doesn't help very much that you can blame the guy. You have still been raped and you will still live with that for the rest of your life. Blaming someone else will not take that pain away.

If you are scammed by some fool who sent you an email, the scammer is the guilty party. Unfortunately, knowing that doesn't get you your money back nor does it restore your peace of mind. You did something foolish and you paid the price. You trusted the wrong person and they took advantage of you

So many people wander haplessly through life wondering why bad things always happen to them. Take responsibility for your actions and don't let others use you for their own amusement.

by Anonymousreply 3310/17/2013

Thank you, R33.

by Anonymousreply 3410/17/2013

[quote] They are savages, plain and simple.

And you, my friend, are a simpleton.

by Anonymousreply 3610/17/2013

I wonder if Americans getting fatter and uglier has helped decrease the number of rapes in general.

by Anonymousreply 3810/17/2013

"I wonder if Americans getting fatter and uglier has helped decrease the number of rapes in general."

Rape is going down in lots of places, not just America.

by Anonymousreply 4010/17/2013

It's Americans' Calvinist-Puritan heritage that causes the hysteria about this topic.

In both Kika and Matador, Almodovar had hilarious sequences involving rape or attempted rape.

by Anonymousreply 4110/17/2013

WTF is the big deal? Guess what? I grew up in a sketchy part of town, and my mother and grandmother always told me: "Don't walk around at night. Always stay on well-lit streets away from alleys and dark corners. Otherwise you might get assaulted or robbed." I guess mom and grandma were "victim-blaming" me, but I sure am glad that I took their cautionary advice.

There will always be criminals and freaks and weirdos out there. They are NOT going to change or go away. Only YOU can watch out for yourself and modify your behavior in such a way that minimizes risk and violence.

by Anonymousreply 4210/17/2013

It's not blaming the victim it is good advice to avoid being VICTIMIZED. Women should understand they are vulnerable and protect themselves.

by Anonymousreply 4310/17/2013

R44, ALL violence has gone down, period. Across the board --- murder, theft, gang-violence, carjacking, serial killing, etc. Not just rape. And this isn't "people changing." Today's young people are simply not as violent as the young people of the late '70s, '80s, '90s. (Contrary to what the sensationalizing media would have you believe). If you don't believe me, check the FBI crime statistics.

And nice way to spin the comment about dark alleys. That wasn't about rape. That was about a mother cautioning against assault and robbery. Dark, unlit streets are where most muggings and stick-ups happen. There's nothing wrong with heeding common sense advice.

And yes, young women are much more prone to getting raped than men. But guess what? Most young men are more at risk for murder, assault and gay hate crimes than women.

The silver lining in all of this is that crime is going DOWN. Why do Americans need to froth at the mouth and act as if though crime is "out of control in this day and age" when the opposite is proven true?

by Anonymousreply 4510/17/2013

"ALL violence has gone down, period. Across the board --- murder, theft, gang-violence, carjacking, serial killing, etc. Not just rape. And this isn't "people changing." Today's young people are simply not as violent as the young people of the late '70s, '80s, '90s. (Contrary to what the sensationalizing media would have you believe). If you don't believe me, check the FBI crime statistics."

You say people aren't changing but then you contadict yourself by saying people are becoming less violent. I know damn well that violence is down, I was the first person on this thread to point out that rape is declining. People hear news stories about rapes like the Steubenville case and think that rape is on the rise or that there is some huge epidemic of girls getting raped while drunk. There isn't, you are just hearing about it more on the news. Same thing happened with the Jerry Sandusky case - there was all this hysteria about how to protect kids from abuse even though abuse has been declining for decades (like rape).

by Anonymousreply 4610/17/2013

I don't get the criticism of the article. It seems to advocate common sense.

The argument against it is that women should be able to feel free to get completely wasted without having to worry about anything bad happening? Seems very paternalistic and disempowering to raise the 'blame the victim' meme.

by Anonymousreply 4910/17/2013

Of course criminals should take responsibility for their actions, R37. But R33 is advocating good sense and self-protection, that is all.

When I was at university and active in the feminist community on campus, we used to organize self-defence classes for women and men. Well, one good method of self-defence is to stay sober in settings where predatory males are present. This does not mean that sexual assaults will not still occur, nor does it mean that assailants should not be held responsible for their actions. It simply means that one is realistic about patriarchal culture and the abuses of power that occur within it.

by Anonymousreply 5210/17/2013

There is lots of peculation as to why crime rates have decreased. Especially in light of recent economic turmoil - conventional wisdom predicts increases in criminal activity as the economy worsens.

It's hard to argue it is the US's high incarceration rates causing the decrease. Canada has seen a similar decline in crime rates while incarceration rates remained the same.

Germane to this discussion is the theory that one major factor contributing to the drop in crime has been victim preparedness. People change their behavior to reduce their risks for becoming a victim.

by Anonymousreply 5310/17/2013

"Well, one good method of self-defence is to stay sober in settings where predatory males are present"

It's not like guys announce that they are predators. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish the nice guys from the not-so-nice ones.

by Anonymousreply 5410/17/2013

True, R54. I would assume there are at least a couple predatory males in most settings. Hence my advice about staying sober.

by Anonymousreply 5510/17/2013

R51, et al illustrate the problem, it is a bunch of feminists putting their hands on their hips and whining, "You can't tell us what to do."

by Anonymousreply 5610/17/2013

[quote]Your logic seems to be that any women who gets drunk will be raped which actually goes against common sense...People like you who lecture women

Where? Nowhere did I lecture women, nor suggest that being drunk means you get raped. I'm saying the idea of taking responsibility for yourself is empowering. For males and females.

Advising all people to drink responsibly is not 'lecturing women'.

by Anonymousreply 5810/17/2013

[quote]No one needs to binge drink. Binge drinking is not healthy for anyone.

Listen to that. Half a cider and she thinks she needs a liver transplant.

by Anonymousreply 6210/17/2013

Slightly off topic but there was a great quote from a woman about the entitlement of modern women. Anyone know which one I am talking about?

by Anonymousreply 6310/17/2013

"Slightly off topic but there was a great quote from a woman about the entitlement of modern women"

Dataloungers like to throw the word "entitlement" around even when it doesn't apply. It's a catch-all term around here (like "sociopath" which is basically just used as a catch-all term for anyone who does anything bad).

by Anonymousreply 6410/17/2013

R64, sorry, it is OT in regards to the topic at hand but the quote I have in mind did mention it. This thread just made me vaguely remember that quote... I wish I could find it!

It was by a woman too. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? I am running Google searches as we speak to no avail.

It's an obscure quote but the author of the quote is famous.

by Anonymousreply 6810/17/2013

It isn't placing blame to say that not getting trashed with guys goes a long way to you not getting raped. Rape is still caused by rapists. Drunk girls are just one of the biggest targets.

by Anonymousreply 7010/17/2013

How many of these "drunk" girls were given a roofie?

by Anonymousreply 7110/17/2013

If I advise that you lock your car doors so that your car isn't stolen, am I excusing the thieves?

by Anonymousreply 7210/17/2013

If you've ever lived in the UK as I have, you'll have noticed how many young girls go staggering around dead drunk - or paralytic as they say. And not just the chav class either. My partner and I were once on the (incredibly steep) escalator going into Waterloo Station, 7 o'clock in the evening. A couple of steps ahead of us was a beautiful young woman, dressed in designer duds and stilettos. She was weaving back and forth on the escalator and I thought was going to fall backwards and impale us with those pricey shoes. When she arrived on the platform, she was staggering around and I was going to help her, thought she must be ill, but my partner said "she's pissed out of her head, leave her alone".

Regularly on TV in the UK, there'll be a new item about some young woman who was found murdered, last seen "leaving the pub"...

by Anonymousreply 7310/17/2013

This is a complicated topic.

For one binge drinking is a willful intentional act - where the participant knows the outcome. They are doing it to get drunk.

Plus the stats on sexual assault and college aged women are very unreliable. They often aren't collected from police records - but surveys. Often the bias of those taking the survey shows.

When you are sober the next day - well who wants to take full responsibility for all their actions the night before?

So actually yeah, I'm OK with warning women that binge drinking makes them complicit in their own assault. Just like if they decided to drive drunk and hit a tree.

by Anonymousreply 7610/17/2013

*So

by Anonymousreply 7910/17/2013

I agree with R70.

I view the whole 'not getting trashed' suggestion as a form of self-protection. It doesn't mean sexual assaults won't still occur, nor does it mean that women who are assaulted while drunk are responsible for the criminal behaviour of their assailants. It is simply common sense advice.

by Anonymousreply 8010/17/2013

[quote]How many of these "drunk" girls were given a roofie?

Not many. It's very difficult to obtain Rohypnol, it's not sold in the US, and manufacturing changes make it harder to administer undetected.

And, as anyone who's ever chewed a Xanax will tell you, more commonly available benzodiazepines are viciously bitter. They would render any drink nauseating.

by Anonymousreply 8210/17/2013

Some years ago a co-ed at Cleveland State University in Ohio got drunk and decided to take on the school's entire baseball team. The next day, sobered up, she screamed rape. Fortunately one of the guys has a cassette tape recorder in the room documenting the woman's eager participation, urging guys on to fuck her, calling for "next!" She's lucky that this was in the days before everyone was carrying a video camera in their pocket. This would have gone viral in minutes.

by Anonymousreply 8410/17/2013

R77 - where did I say anyone deserves to be raped?

Tell me how someone who intentionally gets drunk to the point where they can't change their mind get up, put on their panties and leave isn't complicit in what happens?

R78 - do you know what binge drinking is? The drink has to be alcohol. On what world is someone drugging you without your consent the same as you drugging yourself?

by Anonymousreply 8510/17/2013

As a woman who has been that drunk, sloppy, nearly passed out girl a few times I agree with the point of view that women need to be responsible for themselves. When you drink so much you are completely blitzed you have to realize that you WILL be at the mercy of whoever it is that comes across you. In the end, you need to be aware that there are people out there that will take advantage of you and you need to conduct yourself accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 8710/17/2013

Woman here. I had no beef whatsoever with what she wrote. She was not blaming victims of rape. She was merely advocating being smart especially in a milieu where anything goes.

I tell my younger sister not to go out too late, not to drink, not to accept a lift from someone she doesn't know, always to watch what she's drinking and a ton of other things. Is that blaming her? Or is it trying to teach her to be smart because we don't live in a perfect world? I think the latter.

Some of the comments by women are mind-boggingly illogical and dumb. One woman wrote that drinking didn't bring about more rape. Well, the biggest date rape drug is alcohol. That is a fact. When you're drunk, you lose the ability to think and react properly, you become very vulnerable if you happen to be around someone with bad intentions. Lots of guys love being around drunk girls. No shit! They think they're going to get lucky.

Getting drunk, being passed out, being unable to walk properly, being unable to say no because the alcohol has rendered you incapable does not excuse rape nor does it justify rape. Rapists use every trick in the book to place blame anywhere but on them. Any man who sees a woman/girl or man/boy who's clearly drunk and has sex with them is disgusting at best and at worst a rapist. That's the problem with alcohol, it changes you. You can become provocative, the opposite of what you usually are. This is used as an invitation by rapists.

I learnt these lessons before I ever had a drink. I don't actually drink because I don't enjoy it but before I could decide if I liked it, I realized how dangerous it could be. I knew to be proactive.

Honestly, some women are acting like advising women not to binge drink (you don't need to binge drink to be drunk, for some people, a drink is all it takes) is like saying don't wear a skanky dress in order not to get raped. There's no equivalence there. The former is good advice; the latter is most definitely victim-blaming.

Some rapists have said:

She's too nice. She smiled at me. She told me without telling me that she wanted it. No really meant yes. She was playing hard to get. She asked for it. It was a performance when she said no. It was her fantasy. She didn't say no (while passed out). She said she would have sex with me. She can't just change her mind like that.

^ That's victim blaming

by Anonymousreply 8810/17/2013

Ummm R86, those boys Michael Jackson molested were 13 y/o or younger. Are you seriously now comparing the intellectual capacity/naivete of adult, drinking-aged women to prepubescent boys? But I guess the fact that they were little boys wouldn't matter to you since they are "just male."

by Anonymousreply 8910/18/2013

[quote]If someone leaves their door unlocked and then gets murdered in their home no one would say they are complicit in their murder.

Actually, yes, most people would on some level. Unfortunately, getting blind drunk isn't the same a leaving the door unlocked, which could be an accident. It would be more like leaving the door wide open knowing that there is a murderer in your neighborhood, preying on your specific type.

by Anonymousreply 9010/18/2013

People can interpret this in several ways, bottom line; Don't be a rapist.

by Anonymousreply 9110/18/2013

I got sloshed when I was 22 and ended up fighting off a coworker in an underground parking lot. It scared the hell out of me, and I vowed not to drink socially. And I didn't except for the occasional beer or wine at home. I didn't miss it and had only one more acquaintance rape close call in 40 years. It involved a drunken boss on a business trip and because I was completely lucid, I talked my way out of it, pointing out how shitty he'd feel the next day and was able to peel him off of me. I realize that's not where young women are coming from and there's an expectation that you should be able to dress like a stripper and get tanked without consequences. My feeling is good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 9210/18/2013

As a mom, I advise my college age daughters to not drink irresponsibly...that does not promote "blaming the victim" mentality.

I like to live in the real world.

by Anonymousreply 9310/18/2013

Someone wrote that the vast majority of women don't get raped. When I was in college it was 1 in 4 women will be assaulted now it's 1 in 5. the majority don't report assaults though. That's not a vast majority. I'd say it's scary bad odds for women. Those odds go up if you like to drink and go to bars and parties. Not even getting smashed.

Most of my close girlfriends have been raped or attempted rape victims but got away. none of them reported it. Yes, most were drinking but not totally wasted at all. 3 were roofied.

Most of them vaguely knew their attacker except one who was walking home alone late at night.

These were smart women who just didn't want to go to the police because they were embarrassed or there was no evidence or were just young and scared. At the time most people spread the word through school to stay away from certain guys or frats that were known to use roofies or date rape.

I would definitely tell any young woman to stay away from drunk guys in groups, watch out for each other and get you friends home if they are too drunk.plus a bunch of other advice.

I still remember one friend who was attacked in her home and pretended to be into it because she was being smothered and couldn't breath and was pinned down. He let up and she bolted out of the house, he chased and she ran back inside and locked the door as he screamed at her for ten minutes. She said she never realized what it meant to be the weaker sex. He was plain old stronger and as hard as she fought she couldn't budge him. she said she knew she was going to be raped or smothered and got very calm and though up the ruse. she called me to come over . Sometimes we would see the guy at a bar and he wouldn't stop leering at her and he was old ugly and creepy. Thank god she got away.

by Anonymousreply 9410/18/2013

[quote]victim blamers only tell women not to drink. They don't tell men not to drink.

For fuck's sake, the message is not a nod and a wink for men to rape, nor that women in any way deserve rape. It's spoken to women as individuals to give some small care to their own health and their own interests. There are dangers enough in life for the conscious, but being passed out drunk in public certainly makes one (of any sex) unduly vulnerable to a host of dangers, rape among them.

Rapists should be thrown in a literal wood chipper as far as I'm concerned, but there's a reason to look both ways before setting out to cross a street -- even a one-way street.

by Anonymousreply 9510/18/2013

I don't know what R86 et al's damage is, though I have heard the same argument before from a former co-worker who, I guess, must have been a militant feminist. Mind you, she wasn't a big drinker and had the same boyfriend (now husband) who she'd been with since she was like 17 years old. A lot of the rapes and murders happen to single women who are either drinking alone or who separate from the safety of their group. That girl in NYC who was killed a few years ago was drinking with friends all night then left alone.

She ended up murdered.

Classes teaching males to respect females would probably not have stopped this from happening, since bad people don't take these classes nor do they learn from them. No RAD (Rape Aggessive Defense) class would have helped her either, since she was inebriated.

The only thing that could have kept this girl alive was to not drink so much and to stay with her group of friends.

by Anonymousreply 9610/18/2013

The only answer to this is a police state, since men/boys cannot control their violent impulses.

We need cameras on every corner, and RFID tags to track all moves.

Human males are the most primitive acting creatures on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 9710/18/2013

It's doubtful that there's some sudden epidemic of rape caused by disgusting shameless drunken twerking hussies. I think the difference is that young Americans in general are less uptight about sex and more willing to openly discuss it when somebody does something shitty to them.

by Anonymousreply 9910/18/2013

It's sound advice.

Since some women are so damn stupid/naive, they actually need to be told this.

by Anonymousreply 10010/18/2013

The guys these "victims" have sex with are often drunk themselves.

It's time men started having the courage to report rape by women. It's time for some true equality.

by Anonymousreply 10110/18/2013

R100, it is not that they are stupid or naive, it is that they have been lied to. They have been told that they can do anything that a man can do, and they have been told that being a feminist means that they need to do whatever a man does, even if it is anti-social or just plain stupid. Can you imagine the response if a young woman said that she was not going to binge drink because it was not lady-like?

by Anonymousreply 10210/18/2013

There is nothing wrong with teaching young women that by binge drinking, their chances of being taken advantage of are far greater. Especially at a party with men. And yes, more concentration needs to be put on making men stop raping women. That is without a doubt.

But we're not at the point of the extinction of rape. It will continue to happen, and there is nothing wrong with taking precautions.

When you are a 21 year old girl and you get blind ass drunk in a college town full of horny college boys, there is no negotiating your way out of it.

I am not personally blaming the victim. I am encouraging people to not become victims. And I believe rapists should have their dicks cut off and fed to pigs.

Discussions like this are important, and perhaps they will save lives.

Binge drinking is a stupid idea for both sexes. But let's call a fact a fact, it's not stopping any time soon. Sometimes you can only take care of yourself.

by Anonymousreply 10310/18/2013

I think a lot of people are not making a distinction between a woman being taking advantage of while drunk and a woman being raped (and possibly murdered)by a total stranger who a sociopath. I really think this is one of the problems with the university attitude. Everyone is so wound up about "date rape", that the end up trivializing or downplaying the very real possibility of a "good old-fashioned" rapist.

by Anonymousreply 10410/18/2013

So it's okay to fuck anybody you want so long as they're drunk enough not to be able to fight you off.

Good. Glad we got that cleared up.

by Anonymousreply 10510/18/2013

R105, no. But there seem to be a lot of people who seem to feel that the answer is to just "educate" the men. There are a lot of dangerous men who can not/ will not be educated.

by Anonymousreply 10610/18/2013

A lot of women with Asperger's unfortunately are sexually assaulted/raped because they don't know how to read clues and act deftly with strangers. Also, many don't gauge what a dangerous situation may be.

Question: is it their fault as well?

by Anonymousreply 10710/18/2013

Problem solved: all drunk women should carry loaded guns.

by Anonymousreply 10810/18/2013

That's a good idea, R108, because every time something bad happens I hear all these people on the TV saying it wouldn't have happened if they'd just had a gun. So there must be something to it.

by Anonymousreply 10910/18/2013

r104, if you really believe that, take a look at the thread about Madonna being raped at knifepoint. Hilarity and scorn unbounded!

When women were considered the property of their husbands or other male relatives, rape was a pretty clear-cut crime. But since women became full emancipated citizens we really haven't come up with an agreed-on cultural definition of rape. It's almost impossible to prosecute, which is why cops are so resistant to processing rape claims. Recently somebody discovered a cache of used rape kits in the Detroit police department that nobody had bothered to send on to the lab for processing. Well, that's Detroit but meanwhile there are serial rapists doing pretty much whatever they want with no fear of being stopped.

If you extend the logic of 'just don't drink," you get the burqa, because the only practical way for a woman to never be raped is to completely make herself physically inaccessible to men at all times. It's just not a realistic option for an American woman. They have as much right to go out and get a buzz on without being jumped as any man.

by Anonymousreply 11010/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.