Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Coworkers are so draining

How do you deal with this?

I am sick of mine right now, a group of miserable, dysfunctional people. A guy that cares nothing except covering his own ass at the expense of others. Two women that are like catty high school teenagers. A boss that is the dreaded insecure female with power, overcompensating by being a bully. It's the perfect storm. I don't know how much longer I can hide my resentment. Yes I know, find another job. I just dont feel like going back on the job market right now. Its vicious and also so draining.

by Anonymousreply 2610/18/2013

I had to re read that to be certain I hadn't posted it myself in a moment of honesty.

by Anonymousreply 110/16/2013

Yes. Coworkers are the worst part about working. Too bad we didn't get to pick them like we do boyfriends and girlfriends. At times mine make me so crazy I thought about being a taxi driver so I wouldn't have to deal with any one person longer than 20 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 210/16/2013

This sounds like a sitcom & OP imho you can write well! Write this stuff down!

by Anonymousreply 310/16/2013

OP, you just expressed the feelings of 90% of workers. It's having to deal with it five days a week that makes it a dread.

by Anonymousreply 410/16/2013

We had a workshop with HR today. These bitches are so fake, they sat through this whole presentation nodding their heads like perfect angels. My bully boss then stops the poor HR drone woman mid sentence to yell at one of catty high school teenagers (with gray hair) that she is blocking someone else's view. She couldn't even make in through the presentation without being passive aggressive and making sure everyone knows she is the leader. What the fuck!

by Anonymousreply 510/16/2013

Sounds like it's time to go 'postal' or quit your job in a really creative way that would land you millions of YouTube hits.

by Anonymousreply 610/16/2013

I work in that office! Lets do lunch , OP, and get away from these jerks.

by Anonymousreply 710/16/2013

OP, I've been in your shoes & I do sympathize with you.

But there's no excuse for using "that" instead of "who" when referring to people:

[quote]A guy that cares nothing except covering his own ass at the expense of others.

[quote]Two women that are like catty high school teenagers.

[quote]A boss that is the dreaded insecure female with power, overcompensating by being a bully.

by Anonymousreply 810/16/2013

I'm fortunate enough to have my own office in a secluded area. I also get along great with my boss. He's one of the most integrity filled people I've ever met.

That being said, I made it point early on, not to be involved in any coffee klatsch type of socializing. I'm the one they don't as because I would say no anyway.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, and I know from what I see how lucky I am.

by Anonymousreply 910/16/2013

r8, forgive me, it's been a long day, and you are just like like my annoying coworkers THAT can go to hell :)

by Anonymousreply 1010/16/2013

I tried for 10 years to be friendly with the only other gay guy in the office and we'd have lunch weekly. But three different times he'd inexplicably turn on the ice and stop talking to me for a year or so. After the last time I decided fine, fuck you too, you pathetic pretentious hobbit. Lunch hours are better spent at the gym now.

by Anonymousreply 1110/16/2013

More Cubefag drama!

by Anonymousreply 1210/16/2013

OP as you can see from the other posts, even if you find another job, you will most likely be facing the same situation, just different actors. You can't change other people you can only change yourself. You must find some way to not allow them to annoy you. Be friendly but distance yourself from them. Throw yourself into your work, have no time for them, keep trying until you find something that works. It won't be easy, but short of changing jobs and maybe finding yourself in the same situation all over again, it is the only answer. Well short of bring a gun to work and blowing them all away, but that really isn't the best solution, despite how gratifying that might be.

by Anonymousreply 1310/16/2013

Is this a government office, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1410/16/2013

I work in an office of mostly women, my boss among them. As an unmarried, childless (lesbian) woman I feel like it is held against me. I can't possibly know what it means to struggle or have a busy night because I'm not married with children, right? Add to that my counterpart starts most mornings by running into her office to talk about inane topics like shopping, shoes, gossip, etc and I seriously think about finding a new job.

by Anonymousreply 1510/16/2013

This is what happens when you allow women in the workplace.

by Anonymousreply 1610/16/2013

I'm a freelance writer (mostly), and OP I feel your pain. I worked for years in advertising where I had to deal with other people and their fucking shit. I can't deal. I just can't. It never worked out and I swear to god if I can freelance forever just to avoid being trapped in an office with other people I'm gonna find a way to do it. Other people SUCK and every workplace has some sort of high school drama.

by Anonymousreply 1710/16/2013

Three of my co-workers actually collaborate on a "Mommy Blog" in their free time, R15, so believe me, I feel your pain.

by Anonymousreply 1810/16/2013

I have 16 years to go before I can retire. The SECOND I am eligible I will.

It seems to me there are more bullies and/or sociopaths in the workplace than ever before.

by Anonymousreply 1910/16/2013

I work with a few women who literally yell at the top of their lungs all day long. They do not report to me but they drive me crazy. Their boss is also a women who does know the meaning of the work "no". She literally has a conniption fit if things do not go her way or if someone contradicts her. Luckily my boss is a dream, and is super gay friendly.

by Anonymousreply 2010/16/2013

I was in the same situation, OP, and R15, for FIVE YEARS! I got depressed. Then I quit.

The answer is, for everyone, if you can, find a job or something where you can be as independent as possible

And this is very true:

[quote]It seems to me there are more bullies and/or sociopaths in the workplace than ever before.

by Anonymousreply 2110/16/2013

Are there really more bullies and sociopaths? Is it generational or a cultural shift? I work in corporate but I am sheltered in a 2 person department and have been for years. I hear horror stories through the grapevine but keep to myself.

by Anonymousreply 2210/16/2013

I fortunately have a private office,glass door always closed. But there is a female drama queen who is either weeping or has an awful headache which means she attempts to do less and less work. Unfortunately my misguided manager feels sympathy for her. I would love to tell the office manager she is carrying on with a married man from another dept. and that is the REAL reason for her tears. She is mid 30's but dresses like a teen and believes she is a fashion plate. I keep to my rules: no gossip, be cordial to the staff but do no encourage chit chat.

by Anonymousreply 2310/16/2013

OP, do you work at a magazine, by any chance?

by Anonymousreply 2410/16/2013

I find that all of the policies and procedures to combat this crap are counter productive. The real shits are almost impossible to stop as they are generally very passive aggressive, but at the same time, you can't just tell them to fuck the fuck off with their fucked up games, and the policies would have you as the problem.

by Anonymousreply 2510/18/2013

I totally agree, R25.

by Anonymousreply 2610/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!