Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Close-calls or brushes with serial killers

Given upcoming Halloween and horror movies (and inspired by the other murder thread), I feel this is an appropriate time for this thread.

Anybody ever head a close-call or creepy real-life interaction with a killer?

Anybody around Milwaukee in the late '80s/early '90s during the Dahmer year who met him or know somebody who had? Or back in the '70s in the Gacy years? (Shudder)

by Anonymousreply 129November 26, 2020 5:31 AM

Yep, I did. No doubt about it.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2013 5:01 AM

I know someone that was stalked done a dark street in San Francisco in the 80's. He crossed the street and the man crossed the street, too. He told the man to get away, but he kept walking closer. My acquaintance pulled out a pistol and repeated himself, then the man turned around and crossed to the other side of the street. The next day he saw a description of a killer which matched the man that was following him.

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2013 5:04 AM

I met a black dude in Mpls. Bookstore years ago and we cruised each other so I asked him back to my place. He was hesitant and told me why . Years before he lived in Milwaukee and remembers a good looking blonde guy cruising him at the bar. He almost went home with him but something came up( friends had other plans or some other distraction). That blonde guy ended up being Jeffrey.. This poor guy was visibly shaken and on the verge of tears telling me this. I gave him a hug and told him good luck and to be careful out there. I also told him he may be safer sticking with other black guys seeing as how most serial killers back then were white males. He got a chuckle out of it and we had a very heated make out session/grinding right there in the bookstore.

I also knew another guy who had met Andrew cuhnanan(sp?). At a bar and was setting up a three way with the guy he ended up killing here in mpls. This guy ended up somehow not going thru with the three way. When this guy heard the news of the killing, he vomited. Could have been him too.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2013 5:07 AM

There was a killer in Kansas City who was robbing convenience stores and small businesses. He killed at each robbery. The police were advising to do anything to get away rather than being cooperative, which is usually recommended.

I had spent Sunday with my Dad's cousins. They were older, I barely knew them, was bored silly and wanted out of there.

I started making my exit and my hostess detained me for over an hour with mindless chit chat at the door. I kept thinking about getting a coke at the near by convenience store.

When I passed that store it had been hit by the robber and people were killed.

Something caused her to hold me up, had she not, I would have been at that store when it was hit.

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2013 5:09 AM

Not me, but my mother dated the Boston Strangler in high school.

She had even worst taste in men than I do.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2013 5:10 AM

Not me, but in the days of Myra Hindley my grandma (who would have been in her teens at the time) dated the best friend of David Smith (Myra's brother in law/ the chief witness in the case). She met Myra's sister but never Myra herself.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2013 5:17 AM

Used to see John Gotti outside my door almost every day. Boehner very much like him.

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2013 5:21 AM

A former co-worker claims she was followed by Ted Bundy. He grabbed another girl from her high school instead.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2013 5:25 AM

Unfortunately, many.

Was on a hijacked bus and witnessed a murder at the age of 8, riding alone. I think he just went wacko and wasn't a serial killer.

Was living at UC Santa Cruz where I used to go hiking in the forest -- until David Carpenter aka The Trailside Killer committed murders there. Posters warning us not to hike unless we were together in large groups were all over campus.

Someone whose name I don't even wish to remember stabbed to death my downstairs neighbor. I heard the commotion and called the cops, but there was no answer at the door when the police arrived. They couldn't just break the door down so they left. He was discovered the next day by the bulding super. He was already wanted for killing his parents. I saw the ransacked apartment and dead body. Blood was everywhere. We moved out of that building two weeks later. My partner and I found out he was arrested while watching an episode of "America's Most Wanted" a few months later. They showed a news clip including shots of my partner and I in the crowd of police and other neighbors. The news media showed up before the coroner did.

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2013 5:43 AM

Very creepy, R9.

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2013 5:44 PM

Someone here once posted about bring cruised by Jeffrey Dahmer. A show about him happened to be on tv the other day and I thought about that. From memory, the poster was very creeped out and didn't provide details.

I didn't watch much if the documentary but there was one interesting fact - the famous striped shirt that Dahmer was wearing at his hearing belonged to the son if the lead detective. The detective asked his son if he had any spare clothes and the boy donated jeans and that blue and white striped shirt, saying it had been given to him for Xmas and he'd never wear it. From memory, a lot of mileage was gotten from how preppy the shirt made Dahmer look .., and if wasn't even his and he tried to return it after the hearing.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2013 5:46 PM

"brushes with serial killers"

sounds like a painting class...taught by Damien Hirst.

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2013 5:48 PM

Did anyone have a brush with the Candyman in Houston in the 70s?

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2013 5:49 PM

I work on Capitol Hill, so yes! Of course I have!

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2013 5:50 PM

I believe I ran into Ted Kaczynski in a used book store next to a Top Hat pizza. I went up to him and starting jabbering like an idiot because he was wearing a t-shirt from my college dorm. I mean he was disheveled and older, and looked a little worse for the wear, and possibly homeless and infested with bugs. But life can be hard on people - I don't judge. When I found out he was from the same original area, I started rattling of names of people we might know in common (no I didn't know his name at this point). He acted like a scared rabbit and literally ran away from me to his old VW bus.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2013 5:54 PM

Anyway, so once he was in the bus I expected him to peel out but he didn't. He just sat there. I started to feel a little creepy. So I went to my car and just sat there for a minute. Then I thought, well maybe he's not used to talking to people, so I got out of my car and started walking towards his bus, and that's when he fired her up and got out of there.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2013 5:59 PM

I call it a bus but it was a van, one of these

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2013 5:59 PM

I was in Minneapolis. I had just been to the Gay 90s and I was walking back to the bridge when I saw a white Cadillac with someone inside sitting in a parking lot. I cruised the guy and got in. Well, he was hugely fat, but I'm not picky so I started rubbing his leg and he started saying stuff like all gay people were evil and should be killed, so I told him he was sick and got out of the car. I always wondered if he was that terrible minister whose wife became an antigay activist after he gave her AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2013 6:03 PM

I ran into a dude in a Chicago gay bar who had been accused of murder in a notorious unsolved murder in my hometown, in his view because he was gay. He started crying. Anyway, I comforted him and went back to his apartment with him. After we did the deed, I got up to go and he suddenly threw a huge angry temper tantrum, "Nobody ever stays the night" and became mildly threatening. So I booked out of there as quickly as possible.

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2013 6:09 PM

I knew a guy who was questioned in the Richard Speck murders (eight nurses in Chicago - 1966). No reason except that he was a hippy sort in the neighborhood at the time.

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2013 6:12 PM

Anyway, anyone who has met a medical doctor has probably met a serial killer.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2013 6:14 PM

My mother was chatted-up by Peter Manuel, an American-Scottish serial killer...

Fortunately, she thought he was a bit creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2013 6:39 PM

Weird that you should mention Peter Manuel R22 - I was talking with an old neighbor a few days ago when back visiting, he was telling stories about the old days back in Scotland and he said he'd worked on a building site with a serial killer by the name of Peter Manuel when he was a teenage boy. He said the guy had been considered creepy and something of a psycho among the crew.

he also talked about Bible John who seemed to be a psycho-about-town round about the same time.

So now I have a tenuous brush with a serial killer.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2013 7:36 PM

A friend of my mom's waited on Patricia Krenwinkel at a store in Mobile, Alabama, where her mother lived and where Charlie Manson told her to go right after the murders. My mom's friend described her as polite and soft-spoken.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2013 7:52 PM

I ate lunch with Dawn DeFeo every day in my senior year of HS. She was BFF with my friend's younger sister.

My mother knew Jeff McDonald's parents and knew their kids. She didn't like them.

My uncle went to HS with Jeff McDonald and was shocked about the killings. My uncle was very poor and Jeff was BMOC in HS and my uncle admired him greatly.

My sister's best friend in the 1970s was close friends with a woman who was murdered in her home. A homeless drug addict who'd been kicked out by his parents was living in the woods behind her house. Cops found later that he often looked in the windows and watched her. One day she was doing laundry in her basement and was blasting the Rolling Stones on her stereo. He got inside the house, murdered her in the basement and raped her dead body. Her son found her when he came home from school.

My husband knows a woman who is the daughter of a man who stabbed his wife to death. The mother tried to get to a neighbor's house but died before getting there. The daughter was about 2 years old and was found clinging to her mother's body on the lawn. She is all kinds of messed up.

My husband is in mental health care and has had many patients who were touched by violence. An older couple whose son was murdered by his ex-girlfriend's brother; a couple whose daughter became a drug addict/prostitute and disappeared at about age 20 and was never seen or heard from again. I can't remember the rest but he's been in the field for 30 years and he's seen a lot of people whose family members were murdered. It's more common than you think.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2013 8:31 PM

I saw something nasty in the woodshed.

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2013 8:37 PM

My lover at the time worked with Jeremy Weinberger. Very cute kid, shy. Never went out with the boys after work. They finally persuaded him to go with them to the bars one night, when he met Dahmer. My lover saw Dahmer from across the bar but didn't meet him.

Poor Jeremy.

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2013 8:54 PM

So sad, R27.

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2013 9:26 PM

I blew Richard Speck. Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2013 9:44 PM

I worked right down the street from Gacy's house, and I could see the trucks going in and out of his street while they were tearing the house down.

I also worked with a girl who lived across the street and a few doors down from him, and when she was in high school she used to babysit in his house while he was off doing, well we all know what he was doing.

I written about this before, but she never suspected anything, although he would always insist on walking her home. What was odd was that he would walk her straight out the front door and across the street before turning towards her house, even though it was much shorter to cut across his driveway. Obviously in hindsight he didn't want her anywhere near his truck.

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2013 10:02 PM

My boyfriend (of 20 years) and I have an interesting common fact. Before we met, he dated Richard W. Rogers, the "last call" killer. Obviously, my bf survived.

Totally separately, I used to hang out at The Five Oaks, and knew Michael Sakara (one of the victims) very well. I was there the night he was killed, saw Rogers at the bar, and was questioned by the police as being a one of the last people to speak with Sakara.

Later, when Rogers was identified as the killer, my bf & I had a moment of shock, compared notes, and realized what a small world it was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2013 2:15 AM

What's his middle name? Wayne?

by Anonymousreply 32October 17, 2013 2:17 AM

I've posted this before but believe I saw Dahmer when I was a college student in Milwaukee. After he was arrested and his picture was on the news several of us thought we recognized him as a guy who used to hang around the bus stop near campus.

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2013 2:27 AM

A Seattle friend of mine actually got into a car with Ted Bundy in the 70s. She was a teenage girl who wore her long brown hair parted in the middle. Hitchhiking. She realized there was no door handle on the passenger door of his VW bug as she got in and so she said "thanks anyway."

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2013 2:29 AM

I was in intensive care for a suicide attempt at OSU Hospital in 1983 when the halls there were being stalked by a serial killer. It turned out to be a doctor. I forget his name but it was a huge deal at the time. Ironically, I would have appreciated his intervention.

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2013 2:32 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2013 2:38 AM

R36, why did you bump a thread that had a reply only six minutes old?

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2013 2:40 AM

I was murdered by Jack the Ripper. Bloody Hell, it was.

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2013 3:06 AM

My brother was gay and lived in Milwaukee in the late 80's and early 90s. He remembers seeing him a lot at a seedy bar next to the Phoenix - now it's called Club 219. Can't remember the name.

He said that there was something always off about him, but he met him several times.

In reality, he was a relatively attractive man. But if you met him, there was something not quite right.

With my forgiving nature and slutty ass, I would have been dinner for sure.

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2013 3:21 AM

I slept with Andrew Cunanan. He shot his load in me. Creepy, yet charming.

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2013 3:36 AM

I was cruised/harassed by Jeffery Dalhmer in Milwaukee. It was my first time in a gay bar. I was already scared and frightened and Jeffery Dalhmer was sitting next to me at the bar. He went into a tirade about how I must think I was too good to talk to him. I was just too frightened to talk to anyone. I still don't like to go to bars.

by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2013 3:47 AM

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

by Anonymousreply 42October 17, 2013 3:49 AM

r35 Michael Swango?

by Anonymousreply 43October 17, 2013 4:11 AM

Randy Woodfield - the I-5 killer. My partner came upon him on the freeqay. He was maniacally pursuing another car that was desperately trying to get away. Somehow it stopped up traffic behind them. People got out and watched as he was severely hassling a woman (the one he'd been pursuing). I think he was either trying to get her out of her car, or get her into his car. My partner, not knowing of course that this was a serial killer, got out and started yelling at the guy to get away from her. My partner is small and the killer is large, but for whatever reason, he gave up the pursuit and drove off. It wasn't long after that he was in the papers as the I-5 killer and my partner realized he'd confronted him.

I might have clearer details for you tomorrow when my partner is awake and I can ask him.

by Anonymousreply 44October 17, 2013 6:07 AM

Anyone almost end up going with Herb Baumeister out to Foxhall Farm outside Indianapolis?

by Anonymousreply 45October 17, 2013 6:19 AM

I'm still amazed that I wasn't a victim of this serial rapist / murderer. I was quite the party guy in those days, but I guess our paths just never crossed, FORTUNATELY for me. The part that just shakes me to the core is that he got off on torturing his victims for days before killing them - I just cannot imagine the terror and pain they suffered at his depraved hands. The buzz is that there are many more victims, just unknown to authorities - Florida is LOADED with drifters and they are easy targets for such foul play because there is usually no one to report them missing, or even try to find them after years and years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 17, 2013 11:21 AM

When I was a boy, I shook the hand of Dick Cheney when he was Secretary of Defense.

by Anonymousreply 47October 17, 2013 1:10 PM

"My partner came upon him on the freeqay."

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 48October 17, 2013 2:27 PM

R35 Ohio State? Oregon State? Oklahoma State?

by Anonymousreply 49October 17, 2013 2:28 PM

Dahmer's apartment was located about 20 blocks from my home in upscale Wauwatosa, WI. I wouldn't be caught dead in those trashy bars where he was a regular. No pun intended.

by Anonymousreply 50October 17, 2013 3:19 PM

Was in the car with all three of the Houston serial killers, Dean Corll, David Brooks and Wayne Henley. Obviously it was before it was finally discovered that they were killing teen boys in the Heights area. I am female.

Went to school with David and Wayne. The bastards delivered a few school friends and acquaintances to Dean for their torture and deaths. Unforgivable.

While riding in the car I clearly remember Wayne handing a half-finished beer to Dean and telling Dean to "kill it" more than once. Obviously it was an "inside joke" to them.

Have other incidents too but won't bore you with it.

Suffice to say had I been male.....well....you get the picture.

by Anonymousreply 51October 17, 2013 3:37 PM

A friend went to school with a loser who is currently serving time for murdering a series of women in Rochester. He saved a seat for her on the schoolbus every day!

by Anonymousreply 52October 17, 2013 3:42 PM

My mother was....Bessie Denker

by Anonymousreply 53October 17, 2013 3:43 PM

I never knew her personally, but Stephanie Gach, who attended my alma mater while I was in grad school, was murdered by Alabama serial killer Jack Trawick in 1992. He was executed in 2009, but in the interim he taunted her mother from death row, and a "fan" of his created a website for him where he gloated about his crimes.

by Anonymousreply 54October 17, 2013 3:46 PM

R45, just saw the documentary on the Fox Hollow Farm - unbelievably creepy. Anybody been around those parts?

Unrelated: In 1968-69, my aunt lived in a bungalow near the Hollywood hills that was "creepy-crawled." She'd awaken to re-arranged furniture; window blinds pulled up that had been left closed at night. But she was also scatter-brained and liked to hit the pills and the bottle, so when she told my mom about it, my mom just thought she was "imagining." It wasn't until years later, in the mid-70s when "Helter Skelter" was published, that they both put it together that the Manson family may have paid her a few visits while she was sleeping.

by Anonymousreply 55October 17, 2013 5:43 PM

There are approx. 30 - 50 active serial killers in the U.S. at any time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 18, 2013 11:38 PM

killer bump

by Anonymousreply 57October 18, 2013 11:39 PM

There's a guy who HAS to be gay who is on all the ghost shows. He built a house into the hillside near the Sharon Tate house site. He swears up and down his house is haunted, even though it's not even on the same property as where the murders happened. He gives off a really creepy vibe, I wouldn't be surprised if he was a killer, personally. I get the impression that he digs being associated with the murders even slightly, and is a fame whore generally.

by Anonymousreply 58October 19, 2013 8:58 PM

I was in high school. I woke up one night with a man in a trench coat standing above me. I gasped and he disappeared. I thought I was dreaming so I just went back to sleep. Later that morning, my sister (who got up early every morning to do her hair and make-up) was blow drying her hair and thought she saw a man with a trench coat run by the bathroom door. She looked and saw nothing so closed the door and got ready. On the way to school, we told each other about our experiences and freaked out. I was telling a friend after school and a lady overheard us. The woman told me that police had warned her neighborhood of a man that was breaking into houses and walking around while people were asleep.

A few weeks later, a woman was stabbed to death in the 10 minutes between the time she put her children to bed and her husband got home. Then a girl my age was brutally stabbed to death as she closed the furniture store where she worked.

It took many years, but they caught and executed the man that did it. He had been a frequent customer at the restaurant my sister worked at as a waitress. A few years ago, I was reading a newspaper story about the investigation leading to his arrest and conviction (it took many years because a key piece of evidence was misplaced). The article profiled the killer - who was known to police...because he was suspected of breaking into houses, hiding, and walking around while people were asleep.

by Anonymousreply 59October 19, 2013 10:12 PM

R59 That is the so creepy.

by Anonymousreply 60October 20, 2013 12:54 PM

Not a [italic]serial[/italic] killer, but rather a one-timer AFAIK, Andrew Crispo was the first guy who fucked me. He was absolutely gorgeous and he had the biggest dick in NY, circa 1975. He was a rather dominant fellow, but hadn't yet gotten into the drugs and whips that later became his trademark.

by Anonymousreply 61October 20, 2013 2:49 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 62October 23, 2013 7:20 AM

About 15 years ago I was at a party in Palm Springs. The topic of discussion turned to "who had the most horrible ex-boyfriend."

Everyone had a tale to tell, and then this one guy said "I used to date John Wayne Gacy." Shock and awe and hush.

He'd met Gacy at a bar downtown and they went back to Gacy's house and had sex in the garage. This continued for a few months, with the wife in the house cooking dinner or doing the dishes.

This was before the murders began, at least according to him.

We were all stunned, mouths agape, when someone shouted YOU WIN!

by Anonymousreply 63October 23, 2013 7:59 AM

My former partner's mother went to the University of WA in Seattle. This was early 70's. She went out with Ted Bundy several times, prior to his spree. She was (and still is) model-attractive, a true beauty. She describes him as "one of the most charismatic and charming men" she's ever met, but said he was a little too enthusiastic and wanted a serious relationship right off the bat.

I'd say she dodged a bullet. Or worse.

by Anonymousreply 65October 23, 2013 3:17 PM

R65 again here. Not a brush, but I was a kid when the BTK guy was on the loose in Wichita. We lived a half hour outside town, and I remember my parents and all the parents in the neighborhood sitting out on their porches in the evenings, keeping an eye on us and each other (not as in, they were suspicious of each other, but taking care of each other.) We were used to biking/running all over the neighborhood but our parents told us "not to go out of sight" and gave us strict boundaries, but never said why. Parents took us to school and picked us up--we were never alone. I remember feeling scared and it was the first time in my life I somehow knew there were Very Bad People out there. A few months later, my brother and I saw a breaking news story about BTK and he'd just killed a family not far from us. Then we understood what was going on, and we slept next to our parents' bed for years.

by Anonymousreply 66October 23, 2013 4:53 PM

Because this thread deserves more posts..

by Anonymousreply 67August 9, 2014 11:50 PM

My best friends sister-in-law used to live in the same apartment building as Fred and Rose West. She used to say hello to them on the stairs. The was the building they lived in before moving to 25 Cromwell Street.

by Anonymousreply 68August 9, 2014 11:59 PM

Anybody had any close calls w/ the Fox Hollow killer?

by Anonymousreply 69August 10, 2014 6:59 PM

My friend's brother, a young rebellious guy, who was also exploring his emerging gay identity, lived several blocks from Dahmer. At that time my friend was really scared for him because young males had been disappearing but no one knew what was actually going on, and she feared for the safety of her brother. She was completely unglued but relieved when the truth about Dahmer was revealed after his arrest.

by Anonymousreply 70August 10, 2014 11:23 PM

R5 that was a horrendous time around the city of Boston and beyond. I was a little kid watching the news report about each new murder suspected to be perpetrated by the Boston Strangler. I lived in suburbia, a 30 minute drive outside Boston, yet every mom I knew was sure he'd creep into their neighborhood. It was that creepy - fueling by the same sense of evil things beyond one's control, rendering oneself helpless, which was so imbedded in each adult from years of Cold War fears. It was horrible.

by Anonymousreply 71August 10, 2014 11:33 PM

This still haunts me. In the late 80s and early 90s I was studying astrology at a New Age store. I was trying to get practice doing natal charts and friends would refer people they knew. It was fun and interesting at the time and I only wanted to see if people got some sense of value from the interpretations I was doing.

A friend who lived in Lexington MA referred an acquaintance from her town. She was a very nice softspoken young woman working as a freelance artist. She was eager to see if her birth chart showed potential for her career. When I'd looked at her chart I was alarmed to see that various things suggested an early and possibly violent death, possibly by murder. It was like a weird perfect storm of unfortunate aspects pointing to this outcome. I tried to stress the other things in her chart which really did support the idea that she was in a career well suited to her . But I was stuck on that strange dire information. I think I stressed using care about her well-being and safety but there was no way I'd tell her that dire prediction, which made no sense given her lifestyle, work, and residence in a very low crime area.

I was stunned to see the news report about her horrendous murder several years later. Further, her murderer was not identified and convicted until many years later.

I am not making any of this up - I really wish like hell I was. It still is very unsettling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 11, 2014 12:15 AM

R72, I read the link and that is extremely sad. You didn't tell Ms. Dempsey what you saw to be her demise?

by Anonymousreply 73August 11, 2014 1:16 AM

R73, I am curious why you felt the need to ask me that question. What was your need for doing so?

if you re-read my post you will see I shared what was constructive and fair-minded about using thoughtful self-care in her life. She was living and working in a VERY low crime area. The natal indicators are simply a suggestion of potential, according to the fundamentals of astrology - free choice impacts all aspects of our lives.

I was not God, imbued with specific knowledge of her demise; what good does it do to tell someone that, essentially, you're screwed because your astro chart says you'll die a horrible death? If that prediction was the case it might have happened 60 years later. Would her quality of life all the years of her life been improved with that very dire prediction hanging over her head?

Sadly, the young woman was the victim of a deranged man and had the screw up with her emergency call not happened, she might be alive today.

by Anonymousreply 74August 11, 2014 8:51 AM

went to hs with one. wwe did not get along, looking back could've ended very bad....yikes.

by Anonymousreply 75August 11, 2014 9:06 AM

Here's a story from a woman who was stalked by a man who turned out to be a serial killer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 11, 2014 9:45 AM

And here's part 2 of her story:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 11, 2014 9:45 AM

R34 Debbie Harry often tells a similar story about Bundy. Before fame, she was offered a lift home very early one morning in NYC and after she got in the whole inside of the passenger door was stripped out - no handle, nothing to roll down the window etc. She managed to escape and later realised it was Bundy after he was caught.

Many years ago I was on a couple of the same course as Ian Huntley, who later killed two little girls. I was about 17 and I'd say he'd have been about 20. It was a course unemployed people were sent to by the Job Centre to get skills and was compulsory to receive benefits. He seemed quite a bit smarter than most there (not hard I suppose) and I thought he was quite attractive. If I thought he was gay I might have made some clumsy teenage pass at him as when course ended on the Friday quite a lot went to the pub and I got pretty drunk, but he was definitely straight. Then years later I saw him on the news. It was a very high profile case here in the UK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78August 11, 2014 11:39 AM

R78, that Debbie Harry story can't be true. There's no record of Ted Bundy ever being in NYC. Snopes says it is false.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 11, 2014 11:48 AM

Just for the record, I blew Richard Speck, not that trash Babs Johnson!

by Anonymousreply 80August 11, 2014 11:48 AM

Lizzie Borden took a shine to me. Big lez!

by Anonymousreply 81August 11, 2014 11:48 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82August 11, 2014 12:05 PM

R79. ....buddy did spend time in Philadelphia and loved to drive all over the place. Gas receipts helped put his travels together. NYC is less than 90 minutes from Philly.

by Anonymousreply 83August 11, 2014 12:13 PM

Standing in the produce section of a grocery store in Gaithersburg, MD. Noticed a Frau glaring at me. I got this feeling that I was in the presence of evil, very creepy. She looked familiar. When I got home I googled RuthAnn Aron. Yes, that's who it was. She had been a politician in Maryland, could have potentially eventually been Governor or Senator, but she screwed up by trying to hire a contract killer to murder her husband and a business rival.

by Anonymousreply 84August 11, 2014 2:44 PM

I went on a date with Captain Crunch. He grinned the whole time we were having sex.

by Anonymousreply 85August 11, 2014 2:47 PM

Funny. I don't remember any of you.

by Anonymousreply 86August 11, 2014 2:52 PM

Serial killer close calls? Well, someone called and hung up minutes before the invasion started. I was pretty sure it was Dick Cheney.

by Anonymousreply 87August 11, 2014 8:07 PM

R82, she probably thinks it is true. She evidently had a close call with a creep who wasn't Ted Bundy.

by Anonymousreply 88August 11, 2014 8:11 PM

David Berkowitz shot my neighbor's eye out and killed the girl who was in the car with him.

by Anonymousreply 89August 11, 2014 10:10 PM

r74 - I think it's natural human curiosity combined with a complete lack of knowledge about how and why professional astrologers decide to share or not share information.

Most people don't have access to that kind of information and have never had to think through the consequences of sharing it.

That said, I think you did a good job explaining that very peculiar and particular situation.

by Anonymousreply 90August 11, 2014 11:01 PM

I biked past Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka's house during the time period when bad stuff was going on in that house, though I was completely unaware, and saw nothing of interest.

by Anonymousreply 91August 17, 2014 5:04 AM

Not a serial killer but...When I was in Jr. High I lived in a very rural area. I was walking home after hockey practice and it was late. I guy pulled over to offer me a ride. I refused. He got out of the car with a knife and came after me. I ran into the woods. He chased me for while. When I didn't hear him anymore I just hid out for about an hour until I was sure he was gone.

by Anonymousreply 92August 17, 2014 5:09 AM

R92, That is really scary, were you affected by it after?

by Anonymousreply 93August 17, 2014 8:01 AM

R90 Thank you for your very thoughtful, insightful comments. And thanks for your supportive feedback about my handling of the situation - it's much appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 94August 17, 2014 8:18 AM

I always wondered if the guy I had sex with around 1990 was Andrew Crispo after he got out. There were a few things that made me think so even though the hookup was anonymous.

But if he was hugely hung as a matter of gayworld record, I guess I really have had my brush with a killer. I guess I am relieved.

by Anonymousreply 95August 19, 2014 8:29 AM

Well the city I live in now was home to Randy Kraft The Freeway Killer. They believe he killed up to 51 boys. He even taught classes at the local university, Long Beach State.

He would pick guys up who needed a ride, get them drunk in his van then do all sorts of horrible things before he killed them like burning them with a cigarette lighter, shoving a coat hanger up their ass and cutting off their genitals. Then he would dump their bodies off the side of the freeway.

Everyone was afraid of breaking down on the freeway. In those days, there were no cell phones or emergency landlines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96August 19, 2014 9:27 AM

Anyone interact with The Last Call Killer, or know someone who did?

by Anonymousreply 97August 19, 2014 9:32 AM

I really never gave it much thought after that. I tell it as an anecdote type of story when people talk about weird things in their lives. But I would say no it didn't affect me. It did my mother though.

by Anonymousreply 98August 19, 2014 12:18 PM

Don't believe Deborah Harry. She's a compulsive liar and a kleptomaniac. (Her friends always have to "steal back" the things she's lifted from their homes. She doesn't even seem to know that she does it.)

by Anonymousreply 99August 19, 2014 4:06 PM

My cousin lived two blocks away from one of the Boston Strangler's victims. Many of the residents in her apartment building would congregate in one apartment and spend the night together because they were so frightened.

by Anonymousreply 100August 19, 2014 4:12 PM

Several years ago I was walking my dog down Orlando in West Hollywood and I grungy, dirty guy crossed the street and approached me and asked for directions on how to get to Hollywood Blvd. I pointed out the way and also noticed that he was obviously on meth and his fingernails were dirty and caked with a deep red color. I did think it was blood at the time.

Hours later, watching the news, learned that two people were murdered in Hollywood the night before and that the murderer actually cut one victim's head off. It was an older male who was a screenwriter.

The next day they apprehended the killer at Paramount studios and I saw that the killer was the guy I ran into the day before.

by Anonymousreply 101August 19, 2014 4:14 PM

R101, any back story? Screenwriter dead and killer found at a studio? Frustrated writer or actor?

by Anonymousreply 102August 19, 2014 4:52 PM

There was this guy who used to cruise me at the laudromat near my house. New Orleans, early 1990s. He was kind of cute in a rough art trade sorta way and one day I did really want to go home and smoke a joint with him. So I did.

His front step was piled with old phone books. The back/only entrance to his house was a narrow path through a maze of hedges. Once inside it was comfortable, but disconnected, unidentifiable, a set from a Kubrick movie. Long couch, clean lines. 70s vibe but it was the 90s. He kept offering cocktails, I asked for a water, he lit the week's biggest joint. We smoked.

He asked me about being alone. I had recently moved to the city. How it felt. Did I miss anyone? Did they miss me? How often did we talk?

He set up his slideshow of his photos as we smoked the enormous joint he'd had at the ready. This was early 90s, slides were not on a computer. He pulled a screen down from the ceiling and rolled out a projector.

The photos went from parks and trees and plants and other outside images to increasingly claustrophobic and disturbing images. Narrow hallways, close-ups of handcuffs and drills. Finally a shot from behind of a man approaching a doorway in a long hallway. The man in the hall is holding a hammer, the man in the bed is lying asleep naked in the sheets. My host calls it "The Arrival of Holy Justice" and I bolt up, gotta go, sorry! Seeya at the laundromat!

He asked if I was sure I didn't want to sit and stay to wait out my dizziness. Thing was, I was only slightly dizzy. I'd inhaled moderately and declined the beverages he'd offered, except half a glass of water. But he kept asking: are you sure you aren't dizzy?

I gave him a peck on the lips and stumbled out. Tried to follow the maze but eventually I just burst through the hedge toward a streetlight, through another yard.

I'm certain if one variable was changed he would have murdered me. No doubt he wanted to, but I'm an impractical kill. Six and a half feet tall, over 200 pounds. If I'd passed out I'd be in his freezer or mulch, but he wasn't going to attack me outright. Without question, my size and my legendary tolerance of drugs is the only thing that allowed me to escape.

NOLA police wouldn't even enter that neighborhood at the time, so I never reported anything, not that there was anything concrete to report. I still expect to read a story about a bunch of dude bodies found in a courtyard just northeast of the Marigny someday.

by Anonymousreply 103March 14, 2015 9:38 AM

A friend of mine (female) dated a guy who a year or two later was arrested for murdering a popular drag queen in Columbus, Ohio. We all thought he was a bit weird, he was in to collecting swords, acted odd. Apparently he later started shacking up with the said drag queen, and eventually murdered her with his sword collection.

by Anonymousreply 104March 14, 2015 10:19 AM

aiight i have a good one that was sooo scary to think i came that close to being murdered. i was driving en route to cleveland ohio and pulled off the main road to run into a convenience mart to get a snack. as i walked in thru the auto doors someone was running out. and they bumped into me. and out dropped an apple and banana. they picked it up andsaid sorry and kept running. when i got inside the doors the storeclerkyelled they stole that. i was all like well since it was food maybe they were hungry. that id pay for it. i got my water and protein bar and paid for the apple and banana and my stuff. i never did find out who that thief was, but id bet he went onto a life of being a serial killer. when i think back. now how lose i was to death i shutter. true story.

by Anonymousreply 105March 14, 2015 10:58 AM

It wasn't a murderer per say...but David Hampton, the guy who "The Six Degrees of Separation" was based on. Friends and I were at The Townhouse and we were talking with him. I kept on calling him out on his outlandish lies. He wasn't happy with me. We saw him again, and he didn't realize we had met before. He was looking to pick up, and have a place to stay. Not to much later we saw an article in the newspaper about him. A friend ad let him stay over, David had a suitcase with him, and left it with my friend. I'd like to see what he had in that suitcase...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106March 14, 2015 1:20 PM

Coming back home during the summer holidays when about 9 or 10 Walking back through countryside lived semi-rural location, near to a lot of fields etc

A friendly looking middle aged guy in a car driving past said he'd give me a lift to the end of this long road. 5 minutes later and he turned down a road completely opposite of where I said I was going.

I told him and he didnt say a word just looked ahead and carried on driving down this track, I said something again and he was was just silent.

He suddenly pulled up, was deathly still for what seemed like ages then out of nowhere he yelled get out at me. I was stunned and just sat there, then must have opened the door and got out. I remember walking away slowly then running into the field

I kept zig-zagging in the fields in the areas with the longest grass, thinking he was going to come after me. I was too scared to walk along the normal roads and it took me about 2 hours to get back home when it should have taken 30 or 40. Some of that I thought I was going to pass out with fear

Never told parents about it. Only with recent years have I thought there might have been others that could have gone through the same experience with him and not been so lucky

by Anonymousreply 107March 14, 2015 1:46 PM

My mom told me a story a long time ago about a couple she and her first husband knew in the early 1960s in St Louis. They came over for a party one night and wouldn't leave, to the point that her husband had to physically force them out of the home.

She said later the couple were arrested for having kidnapped a lady and held her hostage in their basement for a long time. I cannot for the life of me remember their names, but I wish I could.

by Anonymousreply 108March 14, 2015 2:05 PM

I was molested.

by Anonymousreply 109March 14, 2015 2:22 PM

Young 20 I was hitching with my dog in upstate NY. (I'm a GF) At the time I had long brownn hair. A VW beetle pulled up with a cute guy, lose curls brown hair.

I had a routine, I would always ask first "where are you going?" for some reason it seemed safer to be on the offensive. As I was sliding in one foot still on the ground outside, I noticed that the door handle was missing and window handle was sawed off as he was saying "I am going where you are going." I jumped out of that car so fast!

Honest to God he looked like Ted Bundy. I have tried forever to find some mention of him being in the area. The dates coincided with Bundy's cross country travels. I have ALWAYS felt certain that I saved my life at that moment.

by Anonymousreply 110March 14, 2015 2:25 PM

Brrr shuddering at some of these stories.

I hooked up with a guy once who was very intense, came on strong in a club. He was tall, great body, good hair, and a friend of mine sort of knew him and said he was ok, just a little on the intense side.

So we went back to my apartment, we fucked, but he seemed more into talking than sex. Like, we would get getting hot and heavy and then he's slow it down and start asking me questions about my past, my relationships. It was very wierd.

Then when I wanted him to leave and needed to sleep, he starts telling me that he wants to confide something in me. I didn't want to know, frankly.

But he told me that a few years back, in his home town, he and his 'best friend' had got into a argument in some rural place and he said that he threw his friend off a bridge and killed him. he said he told the police it was a terrible accident , that the friend had got up on the bridge as a dare. This guy's father was very well known in his home town, a politician, and the cops bought that it was an accident.

I don't know if he was lying or not, but who lies about something like that in the middle of a hook up?

by Anonymousreply 111March 14, 2015 2:43 PM

I have never met a serial killer but a guy who worked at a restaurant I used to go to killed someone over drugs or money.

by Anonymousreply 112August 29, 2017 1:22 AM

Bruce McArthur contacted me on a bear site we were both on.

It was your standard message like, "Hi handsome!" or "Hi sexy!" which I get a lot so I ignore. His profile did not have any pictures, so I did not reply and I am not into hook ups and nowhere near Canada, but it was him since he used the handle SilverfoxToronto on sites.

He was extremely active both on the internet/hook up apps, in bars, bath houses, and sex clubs. He has killed a lot more men than the six who have been discovered.

Also Toronto PD totally fucked up and has blood on their hands since he's the second gay serial killer who they knew about, but did nothing about. Victims' friends and family members and LGBT people living in/around Toronto went to the police and said how there was a serial killer, and the police told them "Sorry there is no serial killer." and even released a press statement saying this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113February 26, 2018 8:17 PM

Given that some dataloungers are on the verge of snapping, I think we are all soon to be in this category.

by Anonymousreply 114February 26, 2018 8:22 PM

Rumour has is that gross Luka guy was posting here.

by Anonymousreply 115February 26, 2018 9:23 PM

Luka whored himself all over the internet, so I'd be surprised if he never found this place

by Anonymousreply 116February 26, 2018 9:29 PM

There was this guy I used to know, now dead. He was sort of a jerk, a chubby little guy who like to act like he was mysterious. Met him through a friend and socialized with him because I socialized with me friend. He lived on Staten Island.

This guy, named Paul Michael, had a friend who would hang around with Paul sometimes when we were there. He used to make these very cryptic references to how Paul had a dark side. Most of us thought Paul was sort of a joke. Then he moved away and we sort of forgot about him.

Fast forward several years later. I get call from a friend telling me to turn on Donahue. There's Paul ON DONAHUE. We are all in shock. Apparently what happened was as follows.

Paul had always been the sort of guy who wanted to be a tough guy, and at one point he actually did meet and hang around with a legitimately bad ass criminal type. The criminal, as we later found out from James Ellroy (more on THAT later1), considered Paul Michael to be a complete stooge but thought he might have some use for him one day. And then that one day came.

The criminal was approached by a man in a divorce situation who wanted to make his soon to be ex-wife into a soon to be ex-living person. The man's name was Paul Hamwi. Hamwi wanted the criminal, whose name I can't remember, to go to florida and kill his wife, Susan, because he didn't want to pay her alimony or child support. So the criminal approaches Paul and recruits him and Paul, not wanting to be a pussy, agrees. Possibly part of him wanted to do it? It was only a woman, and he's be with the criminal, who was obviously a tough guy.

So they get to the woman's house and go in and the criminal attacks Susan. Serio claims he had no part in it but it seems that he actually helped strangle Susan Hamwi. Susan dies. They then discovered that Susan and Paul Hamwi's toddler was in a crib in the next room. They leave anyway, and the baby dies.

Susan apparently had befriended a schizophrenic man in the neighborhood, whose name was Purvis, I think. So after she's been missing a few days, Purvis goes over to see Susan, and he comes upon Susan's corpse and the corpse of the child. Distraught, he immediately calls the police. The police arrive and Purvis is acting very cagey so they ask him if he were involved, if he killed Susan. Thinking they wanted to hear him say "yes," he does so. The police arrest Purvis. Purvis's mother (with whom he lives) arrives and he relates what happened. When she hears he confessed she freaks out and tells him what he's just done. He immediately recants his confession. Too late. He's convicted of two murders. Life in prison.

This all happened before Paul (my "friend") moved to Staten Island. So I gather that he told his friend about what happened ("I'm a contract killer") and that's what they used to whisper about all the time.

After Paul moved away, he was living in Texas. The hardened criminal, for reasons I don't recall, was in prison on another charge but was questioned about the case and in exchange for imunity offered to give up Paul Hamwi and "our" Paul. So the criminal calls Paul from prison and they shoot the shit about old times, including the murder. Paul talks about the murder on the phone. Moments later the Texas Rangers swoop down on his house and arrest him. He is extradited back to Florida and put on trial. This is when he was on Donahue. Purvis, the schizo guy who was wrongly convicted, is set free. Serio gets life in prison. So does Hamwi.

Serio served 6-10 years or so, became extremely corpulent in solitary confinement from what I've heard, and died of a heart attack. He was kept in solitary because he killed a woman and a child and was a little chubby guy, so would have been killed almost immediately if put in the general population.

So years later I am reading "My Dark Places" by James Ellroy and I am floored yet again by this case -- Ellroy devotes several pages of his book to the case!

by Anonymousreply 117February 26, 2018 10:02 PM

Oh my god I'm so sorry it's so long! I wasn't keeping track....

by Anonymousreply 118February 26, 2018 10:02 PM

Ok I just did a search and it was paul hamway, not hamwi. It’s been a long time.

If you search for “serio” and “my dark places” you can read parts of the book on google books.

by Anonymousreply 119February 26, 2018 10:24 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 120November 25, 2020 11:03 PM

I'm afraid to say that if Jeffrey Dahmer had asked me to go home with him, I would have. He was attractive at certain times.

by Anonymousreply 121November 25, 2020 11:20 PM

My mother, in her early twenties, worked at an accounting firm office most easily accessed via the street on which Fred West lived and operated at the time.

by Anonymousreply 122November 25, 2020 11:32 PM

I lived three blocks from Dorothea Puente at the time she was busy bumping out her boarding house residents. Never met her. But I do remember the day the police found the bodies vividly.

by Anonymousreply 123November 25, 2020 11:41 PM

A WWII vet once told me that combat soldiers he knew could not give up killing at the end of the war, such was their hatred of the enemy, he said, and their bloodlust. These soldiers stalked and killed civilians weeks and months after the war had ended, before they were shipped home. He said he witnessed it firsthand and went on to describe an incident. It became obvious these were crimes he was almost certainly involved with.

by Anonymousreply 124November 26, 2020 12:38 AM

R124 of all the stories so far, that is the one that makes my blood run cold.

by Anonymousreply 125November 26, 2020 12:40 AM

Yes, and these same men were just re-integrated into American society. Who knows what may have followed with them.

by Anonymousreply 126November 26, 2020 12:41 AM

R124 so it is that we create the killers among us. The vets who came back from Nam were vilified as the bad guys, losers, criminals, and killers from an unjust war. They were never integrated like ww2 vets, heroes of a just war. They must have produced more killers in their ranks than ww2 vets.

by Anonymousreply 127November 26, 2020 12:49 AM

More stories about killer Vietnam vets, please.

by Anonymousreply 128November 26, 2020 5:00 AM

[quote] A friend of mine (female) dated a guy who a year or two later was arrested for murdering a popular drag queen in Columbus, Ohio. We all thought he was a bit weird, he was in to collecting swords, acted odd. Apparently he later started shacking up with the said drag queen, and eventually murdered her with his sword collection.

This is a good story, but I have to ask the poster from many years ago how many swords did he use? The whole collection? Like, Murder on the Orient Express-style, but one guy with many swords?

by Anonymousreply 129November 26, 2020 5:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!