Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How Many People Do You Know Who Have Been Murdered?

What kind of society do we live in? Someone asked me if I ever knew anyone who'd been murdered? I said of course not. I was raised in nice suburb, I work in a profession where i am not exposed to crime like a police officer etc. then I remembered the guy in my neighborhood whenI was growing up who got killed in a robbery of the store he owned. That's one. Then I remembered a guy a few years ahead of me in school who got stabbed in a bar fight some years after graduation, that's two! I stopped counting when the total reached six, I was afraid there'd be more. What kind of society have we become if a guy like me actually knows six people who've been murdered!? Not people I knew well, but people who were more than mere acquaintances.

by Anonymousreply 15012/17/2013

At first I almost skipped this thread, since I didn't think it applied to me. But then I remembered. Our babysitter, when I was little. Her boyfriend murdered her. Maybe about two years or less, after she stopped sitting for us.

The other situation involved a woman I used to work with. I'd met her daughter a number of times,so I knew her even though we weren't close friends.

Anyway, she had a kid with this real low life, and he walked out on her. Trying to get him to pay child support was a constant battle. She called him up to try to get money for Christmas since he was working, and he told her to come over to get the money, and he beat her to death. It was horrible.

by Anonymousreply 110/15/2013

So your count is two, which is two too many, and like me you are probably from a good background, yet you've been touched by violence. Thank you for sharing.

by Anonymousreply 210/15/2013

Almost forgot. A real sweetheart who worked at a neighborhood diner. She was shot in a robbery attempt. By a 15 yr. old.

by Anonymousreply 310/15/2013

OP, I live in a very nice area. Always have. It's odd that the three people I remember that I actually knew were all women.

by Anonymousreply 410/15/2013

My mother

by Anonymousreply 510/15/2013

I don't know anyone who was murdered that I can recall. I knew four guys who killed people, total of six people killed.

by Anonymousreply 610/15/2013

My sister-in-law was shot by someone who attempted to rob the restaurant she worked at.

My business partner was stabbed during a home break-in.

Both were years ago.

by Anonymousreply 710/15/2013

A second cousin was murdered. She was in her early 50's She was shot by her boyfriend in the stomach. He is serving time, but should be out within 2 years. She made very poor decisions all her life. First husband was a really bad guy. She had like 10 kids with him and treated them all like crap. She also got with some guy who was serving time in prison for murder. The third time was the charm...and she paid with her life for it.

My uncle, not by blood, was murdered this past spring. Thankfully. He was a mental case. He was estranged from my aunt. Was threatening to kill his own adult children. Had molested 5 kids through the 1990's. No one has been arrested for it yet. We are talking hillbilly...Deliverance type of stuff here, folks. I stopped going to any family functions whenever these people were around YEARS ago. I told my family back in the 1990's that I suspected he was molesting a kid. I was right.

by Anonymousreply 810/15/2013

A friend's little brother was murdered by a guy he met online in one of those multi-player video games. The murderer (who came from out of state) found out where the kid worked, went to the workplace, shot him and stole his car.

by Anonymousreply 910/15/2013

Damn. I hope this is my last post, but I just remembered. My ex boyfriend's father got stabbed to death in a brawl over a card game. Maybe 15 yrs. ago.

by Anonymousreply 1010/15/2013

I live in London and I not only don't know anyone who's been murdered... I don't know anyone else who knows anyone who's been murdered.

Thinking of moving to the US with work. I love America, but I confess I'm a little concerned now. I was hoping to go through life pretty much carrying on avoiding the murder thing.

Would Colombia be a safer bet...? Afghanistan, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 1110/15/2013

It can happen in the best of families op.

by Anonymousreply 1210/15/2013

I grew up in a nice community, in Portland OR. A girl that I knew in high school was raped and murdered after getting off of the light rail. It was probably 1989...people heard her screaming as the man stabbed her, but no one helped out,. I don't think that her murder has ever been solved. A boy In my High school class was murdered....gang stuff. An entire family that attended my church in Arizona was killed by the father. My aunt shot and killed her husband after he beat her and their son (not really murder). A friend was beaten to death after a visit to the Gay 90s in Minneapolis in the late 90s. I have more stories. Totally random shit.

by Anonymousreply 1310/15/2013

Heavens to Betsy, 2 people ? 6 people?

You people are lucky.

by Anonymousreply 1410/15/2013

No one I know has been murdered yet.

But I do have a list.

by Anonymousreply 1510/15/2013

A married female coworker, was screwing another male coworker, the husband who also worked there found out, shot her in the head at home, then turned the gun on himself. He died instantly, she was found still alive the next morning by the children, but she was a vegetable for a few years before finally dying.

by Anonymousreply 1610/15/2013

I don't know anyone who was murdered, but one of my childhood friends became a murderer. Bashed his next-door neighbor's head in with a lead pipe while he was trying to steal her jewelry.

by Anonymousreply 1710/15/2013

I haven't known anyone who was murdered.

by Anonymousreply 1810/15/2013

I was involved in a borderline River's Edge scenario.

When I was a teenager I hung out with a bunch of older, druggie metal heads. We'd party at the beach, vandalize and break into houses and just act like overall degenerates. Some of these guys were really older - 27, 28. etc.

One of them was this mess named Bobby. He was actually kinda hot in a white trash way. He was the type to just whip out his fat dick and piss whenever he had to go. And I don't think I ever saw him with a shirt on. But I digress.

One morning, my best friend Jason pounded on my front door, all freaked out. When I came downstairs he just blurted out "Bobby's dead. He's dead in the park!"

We rode our bikes down to the local park and sure enough there was Bobby all twisted up with car treads across his back. I'm not sure who told who first, but the cops weren't there yet. It was just me, my friend and a few others. No one was saying anything - just staring at him.

I got so scared that I just jumped back on my bike and tore out of there. The cops arrived a few minutes later. It turned out Bobby and this other guy we knew got wasted and robbed a house. At some point a fight broke out over a piece of jewelry and Bobby took off with it into the park. The other guy went after him in his car and ran him over. Then stopped, and reversed over him. Then went over him one more time.

Bobby's purple, fucked up face still haunts me to this day. One eye had almost popped out. Gave me crazy nightmares for years.

by Anonymousreply 1910/15/2013

I only know one. A friend's son had a serious drug habit and was apparently murdered by fellow junkies for his drugs. They were his "friends."

I guess that's not very many, but I live a very quiet life.

I did work with a guy who was a gang member and saw a rival gang member driving by. He shot into the other guy's car. Turns out there was a two year old in the back seat. Luckily, no one was hurt. His response was a horrified, "I never would have done it if I'd known there was a child in the car!" He had two young children himself, about the same age. None of us knew the guy was a gang member, he looked like a clean cut family guy in his early thirties. Pictures of the kids on his desk. Somebody at work saw a tiny news article about the incident that mentioned his name. He called in sick. He admitted it was him. He was fired immediately.

by Anonymousreply 2010/15/2013

My husband doesn't know anyone who has been murdered either. He's 59.

by Anonymousreply 2110/15/2013

In my high school, two girls were convicted of drowning a third in a shallow lake.

My childhood friend's mother was found murdered in her home, supposedly by intruders, but many suspect her estranged husband and his then girlfriend (and current wife) of somehow being involved.

Many years ago, an acquaintance through a mutual friend was found dismembered in a Weho dumpster.

And another friend's sister who turned to prostitution to support her drug habit got her throat slashed by one of her johns.

by Anonymousreply 2210/15/2013

I knew two. One was a girl I knew in her early twenties in NYC. Her building super (maintenance man) was fixing something in her apt, stole her keys that were hanging on the wall (bad place) and came back in the night to rob her. She caught him, & he strangled her, and left her body in the filled tub.

The other one was a close friend who I'd lost touch with, in upstate NY. Her ex strangled her in her home, with the kids there in the house. I don't know if they saw anything, but they were very young. Weird thing is, they both had the same first name.

by Anonymousreply 2310/15/2013

Nobody I really knew has been murdered, but growing up, the son of a guy my dad knew was shot to death by a robber while working in his parents' corner grocery. it was 1976, and the killer, who was a druggie, supposedly arrived home singing the, "Mama, just killed a man" verse from Bohemian Rhapsody—a detail that my fifth-grade buddies and I found thrillingly creepy.

15 years later, I was living in Chicago and frequented a coffee shop owned by a guy whose son became a Jeffrey Dahmer victim. I think I saw the kid in the coffee house a few times, but never actually met him; however, a friend of mine was a stripper at Carol's Speakeasy, where Dahmer met this particular victim. Stripper friend knew the kid a little bit and on the night in question, the kid asked a mutual friend for advice re going to Milwaukee for the weekend a some dude he'd just met in the bar. Stripper friend's friend was all "Go for it! He's cute and it will be an adventure." Needless to say, the poor guy—now dead himself—regretted this for this the rest of his life.

I also sort of suspect that my next-door neighbor in one of my Chicago apartments was murdered, but never did find out for sure what happened.

by Anonymousreply 2410/15/2013

A friend of the family's daughter was killed by her boyfriend. She wanted to leave him and he went nuts. I think he shot her and stuffed her body in the closet. He fled to Canada was caught and is in jail.

by Anonymousreply 2510/15/2013

One. A girl I worked with got picked up by a psycho's girlfriend who convinced her the boyfriend was a professional photographer and she could be a model. Really sad situation.

by Anonymousreply 2610/15/2013

My mother's cousin was murdered by his girlfriend (I believe it was), though this happened before I was born. I had a somewhat snobby, preppy boss, whose husband (they had been separated for a long time) was murdered after I left that job. A friend of my parents rented her cottage to a decent woman, whose crazy ex-bf tracked her down and stabbed her to death there. It happens to "nice" people as well.

by Anonymousreply 2710/15/2013

Does anyone know someone who had a scary bad experience off Craigslist or Grindr or something? Like, was held captive, bound and used for a weekend as a result or something?

by Anonymousreply 2810/15/2013

My dear friend Adam. He was my boyfriend my senior in high school. He was attending Cornell's architecture school.

We somehow remained friends 15 years later and kept in touch via real mail. The weekend before 9/11 he was found dead in a park in Philadelphia. The victim of rough sex gone very bad.

Police used his computer to find the guy who strangled him and left him for dead. Really gets me to this day. He was a very smart and super nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 2910/15/2013

An aunt was murdered supposedly by a highway patrolman. It happened when I was very young. A young man I worked with was beaten to death and his burned body was found beside a highway. He wasn't a user, but his friends were users as well as dealers. I don't know if anyone was ever arrested. A girl I went to high school with was murdered(along with her children)by her husband. He then walked in front of a semi and met a much deserved demise.

by Anonymousreply 3010/15/2013

Defined 'murdered.'

by Anonymousreply 3110/15/2013

I know some people who have committed suicide.

by Anonymousreply 3210/15/2013

I find I only know people I wish had been murdered.

by Anonymousreply 3310/15/2013

I want to thank everyone who posted and shared their stories. I had no idea just how common my experience has been. So many of your stories were about women killed by their boyfriends, so tragic. You're not only sharing your stories, I think some of you are also sharing your pain. I will say a prayer tonight for all of the people you lost.

by Anonymousreply 3410/15/2013

I was served by a bartender in a downtown Los Angeles gay bar. Found out he was murdered one weekend.

When I attended college, one of the guys who pursued my friendship. An exceptionally nice guy. He advertised on the bulletin boards for riders to help him drive up north. No one knows which respondent murdered him. His fiancee hadn't met them.

by Anonymousreply 3510/15/2013

But, R19, you neglected to mention the most important information. Was his "fat dick" ok????

by Anonymousreply 3610/15/2013

It's good at least that people know what happened to the person they know. I think it's worse when the person just goes missing. They could be in a basement somewhere as a slave or something.

by Anonymousreply 3710/15/2013

I haven't known anyone who was subsequently murdered. I do know some one who knew a person who was murdered. It was a murder that was all over the papers nationally. Another Brit here.

by Anonymousreply 3810/15/2013

So it's basically psycho exes, weird sex fiends and drug deals gone wrong.

by Anonymousreply 3910/15/2013

I knew one of two guys who murdered someone.

by Anonymousreply 4110/15/2013

Just one.

But "murdered" makes it sound so undeserved.

by Anonymousreply 4210/15/2013

I know two people who were murdered. One of them was my third cousin. He was a few years younger than me. My grandmother babysat him and I got know him through that. He was killed in a drive by shooting at age 17.

The other person was the brother of one of my high school friends. His wife was mentally ill and she stabbed him the neck two times. He died at the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 4310/15/2013

I'm from Canada. A friend of my brother's was shot. He was 17 & it was drug related.

by Anonymousreply 4410/15/2013

I'm from a small town, went to a private school.

Really nice girl I went to high school with was murdered a few years ago guessed it: her crazy ex-husband.

Another girl I know: her mother was murdered when she was a little girl (I remember hearing the body was found on the side of the road in a garbage bag) and she was raised by her grandparents...years later, the grandfather killed the grandmother and then himself. They seemed like nice, normal elderly people to me, but who knows what having a murdered child does to you.

I only vaguely knew this family, but not far from my parents' country house a teenager killed several members of his family. Just a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4510/16/2013

The Mississippi Queen at R45 is right. That stateis ccrazy, only surpassed by Florida.

by Anonymousreply 4610/16/2013

In high school, I knew a girl who went to another school about 30 miles away. She vanished one day walking to her summer job and ended up in a river a few miles from where I lived. That really creeped me out. Her murder has never been solved.

I grew up with a guy who was a year younger. After high school, he moved to Arizona and was shot dead in a laundromat parking lot when he was 19. We never heard exactly what went down, but we presumed it was drug-related, even though he didn't do drugs when I knew him.

A guy my sister dated a few times (my mother and his were good friends but we didn't grow up together) was run off the road and shot. I think he fought back as he was being robbed. There were rumors that it was a drug-related deal gone bad, but most of us didn't believe he was involved with the attackers, who were high as kites. The police caught the couple who did it.

It is painful to remember that all of these people were young when they were murdered. Since then, I've lived in NYC for many years and don't know anyone who has been murdered, although I know a few who have died in accidents (riding a bicycle but not wearing a helmet, for example).

by Anonymousreply 4710/16/2013

A former boyfriend of mine, Tommy, with whom I was still close friends, was shot in the head in a Tennessee rest stop back around 1990. He was a nice guy. I still have correspondence from him tucked away somewhere.

The 19 year old kid who washed hair at a Solon I go to got stabbed to death during a crystal fueled night out. That was only a few years ago. It was really a terrible thing, he was so young.

Otherwise, there are others, but they were acquaintances, and I wasn't really touched by their murders.

by Anonymousreply 4810/16/2013

I grew up in a poor to working-class neighborhood, in a hopeless town of about 45,000 on the great plains. I'm 35, white.

Grandma's ex-boyfriend beaten to death by a group of four 18-22 year old men, two of whom I went to elementary school with.

Guy I graduated with was killed in a bar fight, allegedly with a single punch to the head and backward fall. He was a nice guy. IIRC, he was trying to break up a fight. Single dad, left behind two young daughters.

Neighborhood kid, always a troublemaker (fighting, stealing, meth) shot to death about 50 yards from my parents' house (the house I grew up in). We all saw that one coming.

50-something woman who I had worked with for a few years at a menial job. She didn't drive and was always trying to arrange for transportation to and from work. She was found strangled and stabbed repeatedly in her little apartment. That crime was never solved. Same small city.

by Anonymousreply 4910/16/2013

R49...the story about the lady who didn't drive and worked a menial job who was murdered is what scares me about my neighbor. She is elderly and lives alone in an apartment on the floor below me, she might have a slight developmental disability, has a menial job, and doesn't drive. She's really nice and I am nice to her because she seems like she needs a friend. Lately I've noticed that one or more weird men have been taking her home at night from her menial job. One night she was sitting in his truck crying. He finally left. The next time, he was in her place for awhile. I don't get a good vibe from it at all. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 5010/16/2013

Both in central California. One former coworker beaten to death via a hammer by a guy he picked up in a bar. Another was an old friend who's body was found by the side of the rode badly beaten and his car stolen. His killer or killers were never found.

by Anonymousreply 5110/16/2013

I live in a city which has a very low murder rate but we do have a disproportionate number of multiples. I Googled the Green River Killer's house, and it turned out to be only 2500 (crow) feet from my house. Most of the victims disappeared from near here as well.

If that wasn't grisly enough, when I returned after being gone a few years, I learned that this sweet girl who had worked for me had been brutally murdered, along with her two young children, by the husband. Their bodies were hidden in a storage locker where they remained for years! I have no idea why they were never missed.

by Anonymousreply 5210/16/2013

I knew one of the victims in the Aurora theater massacre. We weren't friends, but we were on good terms and he fixed my computer for me several times.

I also knew two guys from high school who were killed in hit and runs a year after we graduated.

by Anonymousreply 5310/16/2013

R50, that is a really sad story about your neighbor, you seem really compassionate, got tears in my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 5410/16/2013

I, too, was going to skip this thread until I realized that I knew three people who were murdered. One was an older co-worker, a West Indian man who had a live-in lover who was much younger than him. He suspected that she was fucking around on him so he started following her. He confronted her and the young guy she was hooking up with and the guy shot him multiple times. He died at the scene. Another was a guy who worked at a Seven-Eleven not far from where we had an apartment In Cocoa Beach, Florida.This was 1970 and I used to wear the Queene Helene green facial mask just about every day. I did have really nice skin! One night after getting stoned, we decided to go to the store for munchies, so I just wore the mask to the store. Scared the shit out of the counter guy. He turned out to be funny and sweet and would always call me Greenie as an inside joke. He was shot to death during an armed robbery at the store. That made me so sad. The last guy was a casual acquaintance. He was rather eccentric like alot of the people who lived on the LES in New York in the Eighties. He was shot to death in the subway on 8th ave. after being followed by a "hulking man armed with a gun" according to The New York Times. The cops called me because the guy had my number in his address book. The crime was never solved.

by Anonymousreply 5510/16/2013

1. Kid from the neighbourhood I grew up with. Stabbed in a bar brawl in Europe.

2. Girl I knew in high-school. She & her boyfriend (I'd lost contact with her, didn't know him) were killed by a serial killer about 2 years after the end oh HS.

by Anonymousreply 5610/16/2013

A woman I studied with was stabbed by her ex in front of her kids after she won a custody hearing.

Mate's mother was beaten to death by his dad after years of domestic abuse.

Two brothers - disabled men we supported at our organisation - were killed in a murder suicide by their father.

Just found out one of my sister's friend's ex husband is on remand for attempting to kill her and the kids. Tried quite a few times, apparently.

I live in a semi-rural area in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 5710/16/2013

I'm in London too and I don't know or know of anyone who's been murdered.

My boyfriend had a relative who was a high-ranking politician who was assassinated - this wasn't in the UK. That's the closest.

by Anonymousreply 5810/16/2013

When I was working at the University of Miami, a woman in a different department that I would see occasionally was murdered (along with two of her children) by her husband, who was about to be exposed as a child molester. He tried to kill his teenaged son too, but the son escaped and ran down the street. Then the guy killed himself.

When I was a very young child, one of my second cousins, "the beauty of the family," was killed by a deranged boyfriend in Hialeah.

by Anonymousreply 5910/16/2013

Let me guess r57, you live somewhere in South Australia? Adelaide is supposedly Australia's serial killing capital after all.

by Anonymousreply 6010/16/2013

In that case, R57, I'm going to guess ... Victoria. Right?

by Anonymousreply 6110/16/2013

A friend from high school was shot in the face by an ex boyfriend in her driveway. She was in her early 20s.

by Anonymousreply 6210/16/2013

It seems as though women should start carrying guns and taking self-defense classes. I really feel for those poor women and their children.

by Anonymousreply 6310/16/2013

Two years ago my cousin was stabbed to death at an outdoor ATM machine in NYC when he went to withdraw money for a taxi cab ride home after a night of partying. To this very day I will not use a walk up cash machine or a drive through.

by Anonymousreply 6410/16/2013

I thought most of those outside ATM's were outlawed in NYC. I often wonder why a bank would place their ATM's outside as well. Capital One has them. Build a kiosk inside the bank for Christs sake. They certainly make enough money off their customers. So sorry about your cousin, r64.

by Anonymousreply 6510/16/2013

I knew only one murder victim - I've led a sheltered life, apparently. A guy I went to high school with in the 1970's was shot and killed while driving a cab.

My son knew a kid who was shot and killed by a "friend" - this was in Park Slope, Brooklyn. It was over a girl. The kid who was shot tried to crawl away and died in a pool of blood. The murderer was the son of a cop or a corrections officer, can't remember which.

My son also had a passing acquaintance with a kid who was a killer featured on the ID show "Unusual Suspects". This particular show was about a teenage boy who disappeared in upstate New York and the case went cold for years. Turns out his two "best friends" killed him over a weed deal gone bad. After a number of years, one of the killers, knowing the cops were on his trail, dug up the grave and disposed of the bones in garbage cans all over NYC. Sometime during this period, he made the acquaintance of a friend of my son's who was (probably still is) a weed dealer.

Lastly, this is not a murder (fortunately) but my son knew the kid who was severely beaten and almost killed in a bar near SUNY Albany some years ago. The perp fled back to Serbia under diplomatic immunity. The victim has recovered.

by Anonymousreply 6610/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 6710/16/2013

A friend's father was shot to death a decade ago but the crime hasn't been solved because the police was excessively focused on the mother as a suspect, even though the crime had many hallmarks of a professional killing (e.g. silencer).

A fellow member of a LGBT youth group ended up stalking her ex girlfriend and brutally stabbing her to death. She didn't even go to trial (temporary insanity) and only spent a short time in a psychiatric facility. It's weird to see her name on social media now, carrying on her life as if nothing happened.

by Anonymousreply 6810/16/2013

Yes, r61, Victoria. South Australia will be associated with the Snow Town Killings for a long while, I think, r60.

by Anonymousreply 6910/16/2013

R30, are you from San Diego?

by Anonymousreply 7010/16/2013

I don't know anyone who was murdered.

I have known a few murderers: my algebra teacher strangled his wife with a rope from their kids' red wagon; Andrew Crispo, the art dealer and "death mask murderer"; and an afternoon of drinks with Jim Williams in his Savannah drawing room.

by Anonymousreply 7110/16/2013

A friend of mine was an antique dealer. Someone strangled him with a light cord and stole his silver coins.

by Anonymousreply 7210/16/2013

None. Grew up in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 7310/16/2013

You know, the ones that I find chilling are the ones similar to what I experienced. Yes, one neighbor girl was shot during a random attempted robbery at a diner at 11 at night, and my ex's dad was stabbed at a card game, but the other two were instances of domestic violence.

I guess we try to rationalize these things by saying well, if you don't hang out with a certain type you can avoid it, but that's just not true.

by Anonymousreply 7410/16/2013

R71, Andrew is the murderer I knew, too. But it was some years before Eigil's murder.

by Anonymousreply 7510/16/2013

Why are murders so rare in the UK? Haven't there been multiple instances of trash can bombs planted around the city?

by Anonymousreply 7610/16/2013

[quote]Why are murders so rare in the UK?

Murders per 100,000 people in 2012:

U.K. 1.2 U.S. 4.7 No. America 3.9 The Americas 15.4 Europe 3.5 Asia 3.1 Africa 17.0 Southern Africa 30.5 Hong Kong 0.2 Honduras 91.6

(And all those Americans looking to buy luxury villas in the jungle of Belize? 41.4, just four places behind Honduras)

by Anonymousreply 7710/16/2013

Sorry. I fucked the formatting at R77.

by Anonymousreply 7810/16/2013

Where in Victoria r69? I grew up in semi rural Victoria and don't know anyone who has been murdered. I'm going to take a guess and say somewhere in/near Gippsland...

by Anonymousreply 7910/16/2013

I don't know anyone that has been murdered. I live in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 8010/16/2013

Just one that I know of, a girl I knew in high school. After she graduated college she went back there and as a teacher (which surprised me because she didn't really seem like the type, we all pretty much hated our teachers in HS). She was shot by her husband. It was over 20 years ago; I forget the details. I think his business was failing or something stupid like that. She was waiting for him in the car outside his office and he just came out and shot her. I grew up in a small town in a rural state and people were stunned. She was a very nice person and a super-popular teacher. So unfair.

That Honduras statistic is shocking.

by Anonymousreply 8110/16/2013

Oops my author tag should have read r60

by Anonymousreply 8210/16/2013

We are a seriously screwed up society here in the US. We use murder as entertainment. Our primetime TV hits are based on taking other's lives. We are a culture of death.

by Anonymousreply 8310/16/2013

[R44] Canada is huge, but did that happen to take place in the Toronto area in the 80's? Guy murdered was Dave, murderer was Ross?

by Anonymousreply 8410/16/2013

In high school, one of my closest friend's older brother was brutally murdered by an intruder. He tied him and his wife up, tortured them, and set the house on fire, IIRC. To date, going to that funeral was the hardest thing I've ever done.

This was back in the 70's in CA and, since there was no death penalty at the time, the monster who did this still comes up for parole every few years. My friend's parents (now in their 80's I believe) still make the trip to speak in front of the parole board. So far, thankfully, he has never been paroled.

In the early 80's I was working in a department store in San Francisco when one of my co-workers didn't show up for work. Found out later he was brutally murdered by a trick he'd picked up the night before in a Mission District dive bar. We all thought he was straight by the way he bragged about all the women he was fucking. Turns out he was on the down-low before anyone knew what the down-low was. Can't say I much liked him, but nobody should have to die like that. He was beaten so badly that they had to use dental records to identify him. Makes me sad that he felt he had to live a lie and put up a front for those of us who probably would've liked him if he'd just been honest about who he was and dropped the fake macho bravado.

Several people I went to school with later committed suicide when they were in their 20's.

And I won't even go into the people I knew who were murdered by the inaction of the Reagan administration at the beginning of the AIDS crisis.

by Anonymousreply 8510/16/2013

I grew up in Portugal, moved to France and spent one year in England. I'm 35. I don't know anyone who was murdered. 2 people who died in motorcycle accidents. A mountain accident. Deaths due to disease.

by Anonymousreply 8610/16/2013

Two, of the top of my head - one a high school classmate who was trying to break-and-enter his girlfriend's house and got shot by her father, and the other was shot dead in the Dominican Republic in, again, a home robbery attempt.

by Anonymousreply 8710/16/2013

To the first posters, it seems statistics say most murder victims are women. Other than that, I hope this thread will add to the debate about guns in America.

Hopefully one day they'll be very regulated, like they are in Europe. But because apparently guns seem to be part of the culture of the West that founded your country, good luck with that. It's very difficult to reform something people view as part of their identity.

by Anonymousreply 8810/16/2013

R87 here - also, the guy who ran the deli down the street, but this was 1997 - he was such a sweetheart, I still get upset about it, a little. I never pass that deli without thinking of him.

I also had made the acquaintance of one of the Queens Wendy's massacre victims (again, from the 90's).

by Anonymousreply 8910/16/2013

Or, R63, instead of having guns escalating, perhaps there shouldn't be any guns at all or only for the police/military? I've always lived in Europe and like two or three other European posters, have never met anyone who was murdered nor do I know anyone who knows someone who was murdered.

by Anonymousreply 9010/16/2013

R24 - I remember that coffee house! On Halsted near the biker bar - gawd, it had a weird, Shakespearean name, too, didn't it? Or something from Greek mythology. Damn. LOL, anecdote of my own: I was in college at the time, had a coffee, and didn't tip the waiter (yes, okay, flame me for that), he followed me out and asked 'was there something wrong with the service?' LOL, so I gave him a $5!

by Anonymousreply 9110/16/2013

Thanks for those statistics R77!

Gun control, gun control. Who wants to own a gun anyway??? Would any of you like to fire a gun on someone? What would you you do then?

by Anonymousreply 9210/16/2013

R11, I grew up in two small towns, lived for many years in a college town, and now live just outside a city, where I work. I don't know anyone who was murdered. OTOH, I know a whole bunch of people who have died of cancer.

by Anonymousreply 9310/16/2013

Only one I know of was a transsexual who was a fixture at the local gay bar. He/she was stabbed on vacation in Mexico by a trick in his/her hotel room. Speculation was either a dispute over payment or a straight out robbery.

by Anonymousreply 9410/16/2013

One guy - He bullied me in grade school. A few years later, while I was still in high school, I saw his picture on the news. He had been killed during a robbery at a fried chicken place where he worked.

by Anonymousreply 9510/16/2013

A former pupil of the high school I went to was murdered by her boyfriend the year after she left. I only knew her to see really. And an old work colleague of mine, her brother was murdered in a bar brawl in England when he was attacked by a gang of hoodlums. Otherwise very little in our quiet neighbourhood, except there was a rumour there was a serial killer operating some miles away. Don't think anything came from that case.

*As you see from the spelling, I'm European.

by Anonymousreply 9610/16/2013

Many members of a family of a co-worker were murdered. This happened in Phoenix AZ in the 90's.

by Anonymousreply 9710/16/2013

Five and I live in a small town.

by Anonymousreply 9810/16/2013

When I was in 4th grade a classmate's uncle shot and killed his 5 children and then himself. In high school, my friend's father was ambushed while driving out his driveway on the way to work. Police speculate he was shot from a tree, murderer never found, no clear motive ever known.

Two girls I went to a very small high school with grew up to be murderers. One stabbed her boyfriend to death (and her family chopped up and mixed his body with cement and dumped in the ocean). Just this past June, a mother of three stabbed her husband to death and dumped his body in the woods.

by Anonymousreply 9910/16/2013

I know some. What's scary is the number of people I know who survived serious attacks: shot five times, attacked with an axe, run over by a maniac, etc.

by Anonymousreply 10010/16/2013

I'm Canadian. I haven't known anyone who was murdered. The closest I can come up with is a couple of road incidents many years ago. A drunk driver killed my cousin's fiance and another drunk driver killed a school mate of my sister's (although I didn't personally know that girl so I don't know if whe should count).

The drinking and driving laws in my province have gotten really tough since then, though, and there are a lot more road checks.

by Anonymousreply 10110/16/2013

[quote]Five and I live in a small town.

Is it named St. Mary Mead?

by Anonymousreply 10210/16/2013

All the guns being carried around everywhere by citizens in America are probably a big reason for the greater number of homicides there.

Other weapons like knives allow the person being attacked a much better chance of fighting back or running away. A person assaulted by something like a knife or a fist has much better chance of surviving instead of becoming a murder statistic. And there is more opportunity for other people to step in and save you from knives, fists, beer mugs, etc than there is with guns.

Also it is MUCH MUCH easier to accidentally kill someone with a gun than with other weapons. A number of the people killed every year in America are killed accidentally by people fooling around with guns, and some of those accidental killers are just little kids.

by Anonymousreply 10310/16/2013

The mother of one of the girls at school (who actually used to babysit me when I was under the age of 5) was murdered in her own bedroom and found by her 10-year-old daughter. This was in an upper-middle class neighborhood in the SF Bay area in thee early 80s. I was also 10 at the time.

She was separated from her husband and of course the cops looked at him immediately. He failed a lie detector and was eviscerated in the Bay Area press. There was never any evidence to arrest him but that did not stop the judgements, and everyone was convinced he did it. Within a year or so they had moved to another state to escape living under the microscope.

Sixteen years later DNA evidence proved that she had been raped and murdered by a repeat offender who had died in prison while serving time for another rape and murder. But the damage to that guy's rep was done.

by Anonymousreply 10410/16/2013

Did anyone here know the young white couple that was kidnapped by the five or so black guys that had just gotten out of jail? The one where they raped him, cut off his genitals and fed them to him while they made her watch? Then they raped her before torturing her with bleach before killing her?

by Anonymousreply 10510/16/2013

A friend of mine in high school was shot to death by her boyfriend. Another boy was killed in a "hunting accident" but everyone knew it was about drugs. The police could never prove it.

by Anonymousreply 10610/16/2013

Two. First one was a kid in my class in high school, back in the 60's. He was working as a cook in a shitty restaurant on the highway, got accused of flirting with a guy's girlfriend. Beaten with a tire iron in the parking lot as he got off work. The horrific part was that his mother, an idiot, insisted on an open casket viewing. There he was, with gauze wrapped in layers around the back of his head where his skull used to be. Gave me nightmares for months.

The second was a woman I worked with. Beautiful, smart, moving up in the company. Then got into drugs. Started missing work, messing up generally. Got fired and apparently spiraled downhill. Months later, waved a pistol around the lobby of her apartment building and scared her neighbors, who called the police. They broke down her door when she refused to open it. She aimed her gun at the police and they killed her. "Suicide by cop" so not really murder. Unsettling to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 10710/16/2013

R105 that was my aunt MARY!!!!!!!!

You are so funny, I think I love you best of all.

by Anonymousreply 10810/16/2013

uhh, 108 - that actually happened.

by Anonymousreply 10910/16/2013

R105 is so transparent, but I'll cut him some slack sense his party has been forced into retreat by President Obama and Harry Reid.

by Anonymousreply 11010/16/2013

Murdered? No one.

Committed suicide? Quite a few.

by Anonymousreply 11110/16/2013

[quote][R24] - I remember that coffee house! On Halsted near the biker bar - gawd, it had a weird, Shakespearean name, too, didn't it? Or something from Greek mythology. Damn. LOL, anecdote of my own: I was in college at the time, had a coffee, and didn't tip the waiter (yes, okay, flame me for that), he followed me out and asked 'was there something wrong with the service?' LOL, so I gave him a $5!

The coffee house was called Caffe Pergolesi, and yes, it was the one on Halted near the biker bar. And frankly, although most of the space cadet waiters were perfectly nice, the service was always very spacey and slow--you'd wait half an hour for your beverage, and then they'd bring the wrong thing. So very possibly your waiter deserved to get stiffed!

by Anonymousreply 11210/17/2013

The Mornington Peninsula, r79.

by Anonymousreply 11310/17/2013

Anyone on here want to admit to murdering someone?

by Anonymousreply 11410/17/2013

R-65 thank you for your kind words. I do NOT have any details on whether NYC has made all ATM's fully enclosed but I do know my cousin was stabbed in the back and robbed. It could have been a Capital One machine but I do not know. I do know that with the enclosed ATM's you swipe your card, door opens and someone can EASILY follow you in which is just as dangerous. The security camera got the killer on video but he was wearing a low brimmed baseball hat, sunglasses and a hoodie. That could describe hundreds of young men in NYC and his killer was never found. I live on the west coast.

by Anonymousreply 11510/17/2013

The sister of an ex-bf. Years after I knew him, she was a condo manager. She was showing a condo apt. to two people. The three of them were stabbed to death by the beserk tenant who was about to be evicted.

When I was a teen, a fellow teen guy in my neighborhood chatted me up while I was on my family's front lawn and asked me out on a date. He wasn't my type and he creeped me out. I said no. Months later, he and his friend laid in wait and killed the friend's parents for the life insurance. Dumb. I shook from revulsion when I found out the news. Both were caught and convicted.

by Anonymousreply 11610/17/2013

I know one, and of another - my aunt's (by marriage) sister was physically disabled and stalked and killed. My friend was murdered in London back in February and it made worldwide news because his partner had done work as an architect for Sting and people in the royal family.

by Anonymousreply 11710/17/2013

Sorry - I said two - I forgot about the mother of a family friend who was killed in a parking garage.

by Anonymousreply 11810/17/2013

My aunt's estranged husband was murdered in Jacksonville by three teens. He had gone there to enter a veteran's rehab.

A friend's niece was murdered by her bf of three months. Her parents met him for the first time the weekend of her death. He was handsome and successful and seemed charming. He killed her after beating her in her home, took her to a wooded area, tortured then strangled her. After the fact, it was revealed that he had restraining orders for two previous girlfriends, both terrified of him.

by Anonymousreply 11910/17/2013

don´t know anyone yet.. but wait till i find out where that brken face bitch is living!

by Anonymousreply 12010/17/2013

An acquantaince from college (Berkeley) was murdered by her boyfriend while they were jogging in a Bay Area park. He hid the body and then pretended she'd gone off on her own.

She was missing for a few weeks - and he was part of the search - before he confessed.

His rich parents lawyered him up, said he'd made a false confession (it was on news magazine shows - Dateline or 48 hrs, can't remember which). First trial ended in mistrial, second one, he was convicted of manslaughter.

He didn't serve much time in jail. I always had the feeling that the defense lawyers succeeded in making the jury feel sorry for him rather than the victim.

by Anonymousreply 12110/17/2013

I've known two murderers, both white upper class males. The first was a social-climbing accountant in St. Louis. He married a woman but kept it secret from his friends. He wound up killing her by duct-taping her to a chair in the garage and setting the house on fire. I think she suffocated before the fire got to her. He tried to make it seem he was out of town at the time, but the truth came out. Then he faked a suicide but was caught a short time later. He was convicted of lesser charges than murder, served a short sentence and then disappeared.

The other guy seemed to be a typical suburban husband and father. He and his wife had three young boys. The wife had a corporate job and was the primary bread winner. She disappeared one day and the husband's behavior was very suspicious. Her body was eventually found in a junk yard and the husband confessed to killing her. She had wanted a divorce. The sad thing is, even though there was family on both sides, the sons were split up and adopted by strangers. Never understood what happened there.

by Anonymousreply 12210/17/2013

My sister's mother in law was strangled to death in her home in Mexico city and left in a sack out in the yard. The police never investigated because they require cash payments to even begin looking into a case. A business partner of my dad's was found on the side of the 5 freeway in his trunk shot to death. Neither case was ever resolved.

by Anonymousreply 12310/17/2013

I have known three people who were murdered, but the only one of them that would be remembered was Ioan Culiano, a professor of the history of religions at the University of Chicago. He was shot to death while sitting on the toilet in the Divinity School. His murder has never been solved.

He lived down the hall from me; I remember him dressing much like Steve Martin and Dan Akyroyd's SNL skit of the Festrunk Brothers, "we are wild and crazy guys." The night of his death our building was swarming with police of all sorts.

by Anonymousreply 12410/17/2013

The mother of our 9-year old paper boy was murdered by her husband back in 1970. The kid would deliver our paper to our door as his last customer at dinner time and would look longingly at whatever food we were having. My parents would always invite him to stay and my mom would call his mother. His mom was always very grateful to my parents. In retrospect, my mother thought HIS mother was glad the kid had a place to go other than his own abusive home. He never talked about his family and, after his mother was murdered, we never saw him again.

It haunted all of us. It still makes me sad.

by Anonymousreply 12510/17/2013

Gabby Giffords and Mark Kelly (under the auspices of their gun-control lobby "Americans for Responsible Solutions") just sent out the following statistic in regard to October being Domestic Violence Awareness Month:

[quote]In 2011, forty-four percent of women murdered with guns in the United States were killed by a current or former intimate partner.

So many of the stories in this thread testify to this truth. Another sad fact: Homicide is the leading cause of death for pregnant women in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 12610/17/2013

So many women murdered, so little outrage about it on here. Sadness yes, but very little outrage. As if they are pre-ordained as victims.. :-/ ?? Not even going to go there with the few victim-blaming fuckwits who have more to say on what the women in these cases should have done rather than what responsibility the men involved bear. Not just a US thing - far from it! - but isn't the West supposed to be more enlightened?

Anyway, as other Brits on here have posted: I don't know of a single acquaintance who has been murdered. Closest I've got is the son of a former co-worker who was beaten to death in a London park in a homophobic attack. The saddest thing - it sent shock waves through the area. Poor kid.

by Anonymousreply 12710/17/2013

The sister of a high school friend of mine was found dead in her car from a gunshot wound. Last I heard it was a drug deal gone wrong.

by Anonymousreply 12810/17/2013

Two. The first I knew professionally. He was an artist I was working with on a project. I talked to him on a Friday. The following Monday I was getting dressed for work and heard that he'd been murdered the day before. He'd been screwing the wife of this guy who vowed to kill him. A mutual friend told me that the guy was serious and that he needed to get out of town. The guy hired two Mexican kids to carry out the hit. They eventually convicted the guy and the two kids.

The next one was an old and close friend of mine. She was loving, brilliant, funny and kind. She was a journalist for the St. Louis newspaper. She was home when an intruder broke in - he thought no one was home. Apparently she heard something, went downstairs and was attacked. She was brutally stabbed to death.

I made the HUGE mistake of googling her name, and found the trial transcripts. There was graphic detail about her death, including her calling out for her mother as she was dying. I wish I'd never done that.

About a year after her death, I got a package with her address on it. WTF? For almost 30 years she kept every letter, card, post card from her friends and filed them by name. As part of her will she didn't want what was precious thrown away. Inside the package was every letter, card and post card I'd sent to her. I have poor penmanship, and she would decipher what I'd written in purple ink. All of our mutual friends got the same package with their letters, cards and postcards.

I couldn't make it back for the funeral, but her mother told my mom that it was for the best. I wouldn't be able to handle it.

Lisha, you know how much I love you.

by Anonymousreply 12910/17/2013

Three. First, a co-worker's son shot by his girlfriend. She used the shotgun the son had borrowed from his dad the previous weekend.

Second, the president and major owner of the company I worked for was shot after a round of golf. It was a professional hit on the orders of Whitey Bolger. There was a conflict between our prez and organized crime over a jai alai business in Miami.

Third, a co-worker (sat in the next cube) killed in her home by a teen acquaintance of her son. The teen broke into their home and was hiding in their attic. They found him and were going to call the police. He wounded the husband and killed my co-worker.

How many of you know of someone who was raped (not killed)?

by Anonymousreply 13010/17/2013

A girl I knew was killed on my birthday several years ago. It was a first date with a guy who wouldn't leave her alone, so she foolishly invited him over. He strangled her but she managed to bite his arm, leaving a perfect impression of his teeth. When the Not Guilty verdict came, we found out the murderer was the son of a mobster and they got to at least one of the jurors. He's still out there. I call him from time to time. "I know what you did and I know where you live" kind of thing.

A 16 year old friend of mine was killed as he was fixing his car at the side of the road. Never solved.

Rape. It's disgusting how many women are raped in this world. I know several, one a former Playboy centerfold who stopped at an abandoned gas station in the desert one night and was pulled out of her car, dragged down a gravel road, where they took turns with her.

by Anonymousreply 13110/17/2013

My neighbor was found dead in his house with his yorkie shoved up his ass.

by Anonymousreply 13210/17/2013

A young associate at the DC law firm I worked at around 1994 was murdered in a botched carjacking. He'd left a club with his date and they were ambushed. She was shot too but survived. I'd seen the report onTV while getting ready for work the next morning, but didn't realize I knew the victim until I got into work and saw people crying.

About 5 years ago the mother of a friend was shot and killed by her husband. He was from somewhere in Africa and HIV positive. May have been AIDS related dementia which triggered it.

by Anonymousreply 13310/17/2013

An old family friend relocated at the insistence of her alcoholic, paranoid husband (what could go wrong here?) to rural Missouri (and what could go wrong there?), far away from her family. His problems escalated to the point they lived in separate houses on the same property... One night, drunk of course, he crept in while she was sleeping and shot her in the head. Then he doused her house with gasoline and lit a match -- apparently drunks carelessly pour gasoline, because when he threw down the match it engulfed him in flames. He died a few days later. If there is any justice, he is still burning in flames. They left behind three emotionally devastated boys and her mother never recovered from the shock, she only recently passed away and thankfully is in the peace she was denied the last 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 13410/17/2013

Let's all move to the inappropriate farting thread, IT's more fun over there.

by Anonymousreply 13510/17/2013

My best friend from when I was in medical school was shot and killed by his landlady's son as the boy mistakenly thought they were having an affair.

The mother of a childhood friend was found murdered in her home. It was assumed her husband had something to do with it but nothing was proven.

Another childhood friend was found floating in Long Beach harbor. We think she was killed but the forensics were inconclusive.

A college class mate was working as a mothers help for a faculty member when a random stranger came up to the house and brutally stabbed her to death.

An acquaintance from community theater was shot and killed by her baby daddy.

by Anonymousreply 13610/18/2013

The lady who lived across the street from me was beaten to death with a baseball bat by her husband. He put her in the trunk of their car and buried her in Jones Beach. This was back in the 1970s when a body was mandatory. However there was enough blood and hair in the trunk to convict him. Her body was found 3 years after he was sent to prison.

by Anonymousreply 13710/18/2013

When I was in high school, one of my classmates disappeared. She had just broken up with her boyfriend, and he was the #1 suspect. He was 17 and she was 16. It took 28 years for evidence to come to light that was strong enough to charge and convict her ex-boyfriend. They found her skeleton buried on land belonging to the boy's family in the Santa Cruz mountains. He had kept a piece of jewelry that belonged to her, and it was found in his possession when Colorado police broke in and searched his marital home there.

One of my sister's best friends in high school lived alone with her dad because her mother was dead. Her mother had come home and surprised an intruder one day. She was shot and killed. The killer was never caught. It only occurred to me years later that her father may have been involved. He was a violent man prone to fits of rage and his wife was terrified of him.

A boy I went to parochial school with was stabbed to death after a concert at the Oakland Coliseum, in the parking lot. Nobody knew what really happened. His killer got away. He was 20 years old.

After graduating from college, I worked for a small software company near Santa Cruz. Our young security guard had a pretty wife and two small children. One day he flipped out and shot them all to death, then killed himself. The wife's girlfriends said that she was unhappy in the marriage and was thinking about divorce.

Suicides: A young neighbor on my street hanged himself. He seemed old to us kids, but he was only 24.

A girl in my high school class took a gun into the hills above Palo Alto and committed suicide there. Her body wasn't found for months.

While I was working in Silicon Valley, a young engineer parked his car and took an overdose. He was known to have emotional troubles, and grievance counselors came to work the following day to help us work through it. His parents were there to ask about our memories of working with him and to find out if we had noticed anything amiss in his last few days.

I was a screwed-up kid, so I was being treated by a therapist in the Student Health Center at my university. I showed up for my normal appointment and was informed that it was cancelled. That night, I learned that my therapist had killed himself. That one took a while to wrap my mind around because I had felt suicidal, too.

by Anonymousreply 13810/18/2013

R130, I remember the Roger Wheeler case.

by Anonymousreply 13910/18/2013

One morning about 15 years ago my coworker did not show for work. She had not come home the night before, so her children (who were preteen) called work to see if she was there. Police were called. She was last seen by another coworker the previous evening in the lobby, and had told that person she was not taking the bus that day as she was having dinner with her estranged husband to discuss their divorce settlement.

The obvious suspect was the husband, but there was no body and no proof. One year, almost to the day, a tip was called in to the police that detailed the ex-husband's construction jobs right around that time period. Police investigated deeper and dug up a few of the sites and found the body under a concrete slab.

He fled, but was eventually found and convicted. Still in jail as far as I know.

by Anonymousreply 14010/18/2013

In the early "90s my Grandparents rented one of their houses to a guy who turned out to have murdered a guy.

A friend of my mom's was killed by what he thought was his girlfriend and her actual boyfriend, She was after his money, carried a lot on him for the time (1990), they shot him, dragged him behind his truck trying to remove his face, then finally wrapped him up in a sheet, burned him, dumped him in the river and dumped the truck over the line in the next state. He was found by fishermen in a boat two days later. The murdering pair were arrested three days after that. The friends mother is my neighbor now and she believes that both are still in jail, the guy who pulled the trigger is, but the woman who set it all up has been out for a couple of years now. I don't have the heart to tell her that the woman is out, after all, she lost her son over a little less than $1,200.

by Anonymousreply 14110/18/2013

Murdered? None. And I've lived in Philly my whole life.

by Anonymousreply 14210/18/2013

Yeah 139, that was Roger. That was the weirdest experience in my professional life. Our building was crawling with local cops and FBI. They hired security for certain execs as they didn't really know who might be targeted next. It wasn't too long after the shooting that we began to hear rumors that it might be connected to the mob and never expected that they would find out who did it.

I loved working for that company and it's too bad what eventually happened to it.

by Anonymousreply 14310/19/2013

No r84 and your're right I should have been more specific. It was in Edmonton which has been Canada's murder capital numerous times.

by Anonymousreply 14410/20/2013

A retired neighbor woman was murdered by a man whom she was selling a house to on land contract. Apparently he was a paranoid schizophrenic. Everyone who knew of him knew it was a matter of time before he went off.

One night he kicked in her door and stabbed her repeatedly then buried her body.

Her daughter found the bloody mess when she arrived at the house just hours later to take her mom to the airport so she could attend a college reunion.

by Anonymousreply 14510/20/2013

The body count:

-- A former school classmate was shot to death by a disgruntled ex-boyfriend. He was caught but got off on an insanity plea.

-- A distant cousin was shot to death when he told his girlfriend he was breaking up with her. She then turned the gun on herself, but survived.

-- A co-worker's mother was stabbed to death in a bank parking lot when she resisted a purse-snatcher. He was caught, and arrived at his preliminary hearing clutching a paperback book: "How To Be Your Own Attorney."

by Anonymousreply 14610/20/2013

My elementary school principal was killed by his son as he was trying to rob his parents for drug money.

A sixth grade teacher at my school was raped and murdered and her body shoved into a trunk in Topeka, Kansas.

When I was a senior in high school, a friend of mine in college was beaten to death by a guy who was looking to gaybash anyone he could find.

Someone I went to high school with was beaten to death by her husband. The parent of another fellow high schooler was killed by her husband who made it look like an accident, and everyone knew he did it, but he got away with it.

Also, my English advisor at uni was a professor later convicted of murdering his ex-wife, who I knew vaguely. That case ended up on Dateline and other similar shows.

Don't let anyone tell you small Midwestern towns are really safe, because they are not.

by Anonymousreply 14710/20/2013

R147, that's one thing that stuns me about small town America. I've lived only in big cities (Chicago, San Francisco, New York) and when I watch true crime shows - a guilty pleasure - so many of the crimes happen in small towns where everybody felt safe, didn't feel the need to lock their doors and this kind of thing just doesn't happen. Well, apparently, it does! There was one story about a high school girl in a small SC town who was raped and murdered when she came home from school. They eventually caught the guy through DNA but before they caught him, they were looking at another suspect, also a murdering rapist operating in the same area at the same time. He just hadn't killed that particular girl.

I'll take my chances with NYC!

by Anonymousreply 14810/20/2013

A female superintendent known as "The Mayor" of our street was found in bed with neck sliced and suffocated. Middle-aged guy in a wheel chair, former waiter in the neighborhood, welcomed a young man to the apartment. And then he died.

by Anonymousreply 14910/20/2013

murder bump

by Anonymousreply 15012/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!