Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gwyneth vs Graydon: Graydon speaks!

Quick recap, in case you’ve forgotten…but how could you forget?

Vanity Fair wanted to do a piece on Gwyneth Paltrow who has been on the cover 5 times. She refused and sent an email to all her friends telling them to boycott the magazine. Graydon Carter, the editor of Vanity Fair, is currently promoting the 100th anniversary of the publication. He was interviewed by The Times. And confirms that that is indeed what happened: Gwyneth tried to cockblock him.

And Graydon’s reaction to this?

Graydon Carter’s eyes dart uncomfortably when I ask about Gwynnie. “We started a story on her. We have a very good writer and it’ll run…” Indeed, her disavowal has made him more determined to publish. "Well, she sort of forced my hand".

Girl Sh-t, right?

When asked to comment on G’s power play, Carter cattily answered:

“She’ll find Los Angeles very different and very difficult,” he says. “Some famous people believe that they live in a cone of celebrity that protects them... But it doesn’t really exist any more in LA unless they stay in. I mean, you can be a well-known movie star and go decades without getting an embarrassing picture in a magazine just by leading a quiet, normal life.”

So it’s coming. And if he sounds like a bitch about it with a journalist, can you imagine how c-nty the actual article will be? Maybe just in time for Christmas…

Ironically though (I think) the profile on Carter is just as dishy and delicious as any Vanity Fair piece on a movie star. There are two Graydon Carters:

There’s the Graydon Carter who claims to be over his own party, the most exclusive part of the year (Vanity Fair Oscars) and insists that he’s really not that enamored of Celebrity because most of them aren’t that interesting.

And then there’s the Graydon Carter of the “importance index” and the “seven rooms”. The importance index is based on how celebrities rank each other. Like, if Robert Downey Jr gets a call from Jude Law and from Mel Gibson, who he calls back first determines their standing. As for the seven rooms, every celebrity thinks they’ve reached the last room, the room that they all aspire to, but, really, there’s always another room, or two rooms, except for maybe one or two people, but seventh room residents are rare. And they can’t stay in there forever.

It’s a similar philosophy at Carter’s restaurants where he personally supervises the table plan – which patrons get to sit where, and why. If you’re lucky enough to get a reservation on a slow night, prepare yourself to be jammed up against a wall where no one can see you (unless you’re Anna Wintour) because the best spots are marked for the best people.

So…

Isn’t Graydon Carter kinda like…

Gwyneth Paltrow?

It’s fascinating.

A fascinating read. And well worth a few dollars to get behind the pay wall. Which is what I just did to be able to enjoy the entire piece. Click here. Or if you don’t feel like it, here it is, summed up:

Gwyneth Paltrow thought Vanity Fair was beneath her. Graydon Carter thinks you’re beneath him. And they both need all of us to keep them there.

by Anonymousreply 5210/19/2013

I don't know why she didn't just set her entitled know-it-all ass down in the UK and STAT THERE. Chris would have been happy, the kids wouldn't care and Blythe would have some relief from her brat's incessant yapping about everything and nothing.

by Anonymousreply 110/14/2013

This was part of a deal she made with Chris. He agreed to take some time off & come to L.A. with her. Her management, agent etc. said her career was hurting because she'd removed herself from the Hollywood community and was not well thought of because she was viewed as a snobbish ex-patriot.

So now she's back in L.A. and can entertain and network and "hang out" with the people who can do her some good. She wants desperately to get back on her feet as an actress. In the past she'd spend a few weeks in L.A. but her base was always NYC and London. If she was in L.A. she felt she was slumming. And she is. The town is a cesspool.

by Anonymousreply 210/14/2013

[quote]I mean, you can be a well-known movie star and go decades without getting an embarrassing picture in a magazine just by leading a quiet, normal life.”

So true, so simple, yet so difficult for so many to grasp.

by Anonymousreply 310/14/2013

[quote]Her management, agent etc. said her career was hurting because she'd removed herself from the Hollywood community and was not well thought of because she was viewed as a snobbish ex-patriot.

Oh, well.. thank heaven's it's just a misunderstanding.

by Anonymousreply 410/14/2013

Is her "career" really hurting? Honestly? As much as we love to hate her, she was in one of the top grossing movies of the year (Iron Man 3) and probably made about a zillion dollars.

And what decent movies are even being made in Hollywood anymore that she is trying to get a piece of? Aren't most "serious" actors (and directors) save a very few trying to do a television series these days? Most smart indie films are going direct to DVD or Netflix because there are no distribution channels. It is amazing to look on IMDB at the filmography of many good actors whose recent films you've never heard of because distribution is totally dead.

Hollywood is all about tentpole-type global 3D "event" movies and she is all over this trend already.

by Anonymousreply 510/14/2013

[quote]Is her "career" really hurting? Honestly? As much as we love to hate her, she was in one of the top grossing movies of the year (Iron Man 3) and probably made about a zillion dollars.

Iron Man has been and always will be RDJ's movies. GP is a minor part. He gets paid the big bucks? Her? Probably not. And take away those films, what has she done lately? The last movie she had a lead role in was what? Country Strong back in 2010. Which was a massive flop.

by Anonymousreply 610/14/2013

Anyone else think both of these two idiots are trolling us?

I mean, she's been on the cover of Vanity Fair much more than her career has warranted, yet suddenly they're at odds?

by Anonymousreply 710/14/2013

I wouldn't think they'd troll here, no.

by Anonymousreply 810/14/2013

When you order $300 eggs, you're unlikely to add troll Datalounge to your to do list.

by Anonymousreply 910/14/2013

I remember when she first became famous for winning her oscar. At the time she seemed to have the pic of any project and made calculated decisions; Grace kelly's role in a Dial M remake, Talented Mr. Ripley then laugh at herself in a farrely bros comedy...but almost all of the choices back fired and flopped. Then, in the past few years, her public person and GOOP site have spoiled any good will toward her. RDJ did her a favor by getting her cast in the IM movies.

by Anonymousreply 1010/14/2013

I don't mean she's trolling here, just the media in general.

by Anonymousreply 1110/14/2013

r7, yes I agree with you. This "smackdown" is all for press and so she can drum up attention.

by Anonymousreply 1210/14/2013

Hate her, but love her wardrobe and style. She knocks it out of the park with the exception of a very few unfortunate selections.

by Anonymousreply 1310/14/2013

I don't think R7 meant trolling DL. More trolling the public at large, creating a faux tiff to generate publicity and sell tons of magazines.

by Anonymousreply 1410/14/2013

Graydon is stirring shit, but Gwyneth is sincere, not trolling. She really has tried to avoid the VF piece because it was going to be a bit of a hatchet job.

Something's definitely going on; it's not fabricated. Of course I think Graydon is a spiteful queen,(Redundant, I know) and is doing this for attention. But the estrangement between him & Gwyneth is real.

Don't forget how she was really acting out at the Met Fashion Ball, complaining about it in public. Even if everything she said was true, there are some things you just don't say.

You have to wonder what's going on in Gwyneth's life to make her so negative. Moving her kids back to L.A. for school, really uprooting her whole family, Chris taking off from his work, this is pretty drastic.

by Anonymousreply 1510/14/2013

Oh, I do hope she's OK. She's so lovely.

by Anonymousreply 1610/14/2013

Isn't the weather usually dreary there? I would think an American would find it drastically different than the country they were raised. What's with the snob appeal of England, anyway? Remember when Madonna lived there and affected that ridiculous accent and basically behaved like she was a baroness?

by Anonymousreply 1710/14/2013

She wanted to make a home with her new husband in his home London. That's why she left. And Gwyneth was never a real L.A. girl. She was raised mostly in NYC, so London was not dreary to her, it was exciting.

by Anonymousreply 1810/14/2013

She wants to be in LA so she can go after Jennifer Garner's roles.

by Anonymousreply 1910/14/2013

It's definitely piqued my interest in how VF is going to skewer GP. I'll read the article when it comes out.

by Anonymousreply 2010/14/2013

no one but wannabes read vanity fair. Everyone knows Paltrow is a cunt, so what's one more insipid article going to do?

by Anonymousreply 2110/14/2013

Why is she leaving London?

[quote]“We have great dinner parties at which everyone sits around talking about politics, history, art and literature—all this peppered with really funny jokes. But back in America, I was at a party and a girl looked at me and said, ‘Oh, my God! Are those Juicy jeans that you’re wearing?’ and I thought, I can’t stay here. I have to get back to Europe.”

Maybe her English dinner guests don't impress her with their intellectual prowess and sparkling wit anymore. Or she's stopped wearing Juicy jeans.

My guess: she and her husband are getting everything prepared for their impending divorce.

by Anonymousreply 2210/14/2013

Team Graydon...for now.

by Anonymousreply 2310/14/2013

Team Graydon for now as well. And we don't want her back nor did we want Madonna back either.

by Anonymousreply 2410/14/2013

From last month's Vanity Fair:

[quote]Then it was William’s turn, and taking great care, he leaned in to his wife, holding his arms out in front of him to receive his son. He looked down with joy and disbelief. After the brief press conference, it was time to head home, and, addressing his wife as “Poppet,” William accompanied Kate back into the hospital. When they re-emerged, the Prince was carrying his son in a baby seat, which he expertly clipped into the waiting Range Rover, while Kate sat in the back next to the baby, stroking his little fingers. Once again, the shutters of hundreds of cameras clattered noisily, filling the evening sky with flashing white lights as William broke with tradition, just as he had on his wedding day, and climbed into the driver’s seat. As he took the wheel and glanced in the rearview mirror at his wife, he smiled. This was what it was all about: the three of them and the wonderful future that lay ahead. As they swept through the wrought-iron gates to Kensington Palace, this was just the beginning.

VF used to be interesting; now it is just fan girl bullshit. And this month Mr. Beyonce is on the cover. Just cancelled my subscription.

by Anonymousreply 2510/14/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 2610/14/2013

Graysnob vs. the G-spot. The Grim Reaper will win.

by Anonymousreply 2710/14/2013

I can't wait for this article, and fairly certain I'm not alone. People are going to eat this up.

by Anonymousreply 2810/14/2013

I don't get this. It seems to me, Gwyneth has a publicist powerful enough to negotiate a truce with Graydon. I know. Graydon thinks he's all powerful, and a lot of people might get pressured into cooperating with his writers if they want to do a hack job on Gwyneth. But Gwyneth's PR team could always leverage some of their other A listers, and make things difficult for VF. Seems like this is unnecessarily messy.

by Anonymousreply 2910/14/2013

[quote] But back in America, I was at a party and a girl looked at me and said, ‘Oh, my God! Are those Juicy jeans that you’re wearing?’ and I thought, I can’t stay here. I have to get back to Europe.”

This never happened.

by Anonymousreply 3010/14/2013

I understand why DL and people who deal with her (and people on DL who have to deal with her) dislike her, but I found her to be good in Iron Man...believable, sympathetic, etc. It was kind of a retarded role but she was able to elevate it and add enough human warmth where you could identify with the character.

So many actors really need someone pulling back the reins so they don't start blabbering out of control. Whoever's job it is to mind Gwen is doing an awful job of it. Her big mouth is what is tanking her career, not her acting skills or geographic location.

by Anonymousreply 3110/14/2013

I CAN'T WAIT!

by Anonymousreply 3210/14/2013

Hey, Blythe, maybe she'll buy that lunch you're auctioning on CharityBuzz!

by Anonymousreply 3310/14/2013

[quote] But Gwyneth's PR team could always leverage some of their other A listers, and make things difficult for VF.

Uh, like who? Beyonce doesn't give a crap about her, Cam Diaz is her friend but she's no longer A-list, Cynthia Rowley is barely her friend, Madonna isn't her friend.

Oh wait, Stella McCartney, yeah that'll show Graydon.

by Anonymousreply 3410/14/2013

Gwynnie will be fine--she's BFF with the most powerful man in Hollywood!

by Anonymousreply 3510/14/2013

No one is going to see the Iron Man movies because Goopie is in them. Any number of actresses could do that part and do it just fine. She adds zilch.

by Anonymousreply 3610/15/2013

Her overbite? She's humorless and terrible. People laugh at her cluelessness.

by Anonymousreply 3810/15/2013

Fuck Gwyneth

by Anonymousreply 3910/15/2013

I'm baffled by this. I've seen her interviewed twice by Chelsea Handler and recently by that screaming (literally) queen Ross.

She came across as funny and down-to-earth in every case, although it may be merely a testament to her acting skills.

In any case, she's talented enough as an interviewee to have used VF to her advantage. Their celebrity pieces aren't exactly hard-hitting.

by Anonymousreply 4010/15/2013

[quote]Isn't the weather usually dreary there? I would think an American would find it drastically different than the country they were raised. What's with the snob appeal of England, anyway?

Bitch, are you serious?

London is where it's AT, and has been since the 1990s. The wealth flowing into the city right now is beyond belief. You go out in New York and who do you meet? Wannabees and desperates set in a porridge of needy raucous jewish & latino sensibility. You go out in London and desperation is diluted by rivers of alchohol, eccentrics, aristocrats who don't give a fuck, and an Establishment that's much more fun than than America's stitched up one which is only focused on money. THEN there's the artistic culture, which is bottomless!

by Anonymousreply 4110/15/2013

I happen to think the world revolves around London, but Gwyneth, darling, that was a little gooey, gushingly OTT at R41.

P.S. I think some of those "aristos" may have been pulling your leg, though there are indeed a lot of bottoms in London.

by Anonymousreply 4210/15/2013

[quote]It seems to me, Gwyneth has a publicist powerful enough to negotiate a truce with Graydon.

Maybe during Iron Man when she gets the power of the studio behind her (witness the magic they pulled getting her that People Most Beautiful Woman cover). But when she's on her own I don't know that she has a powerhouse behind her, and if she does she's not the priority, the Anne Hathaways and Jennifer Lawrences are.

by Anonymousreply 4310/15/2013

Bump

by Anonymousreply 4410/18/2013

I think Graydon is simply shit -stirring to get people interested in the magazine. Come on. Really. Think about it. Can you imagine what could be more boring than watching paint dry, if not a feature article/profile about Gwyneth Paltrow. Who cares?

So, Graydon manufactures a controversy and makes it much worse than it is. Do you really think she's the only famous person who discouraged friends from cooperating with the press? And more important, that he'd be surprised?

That's bullshit. Most celebrities ask friends etc. not to cooperate with articles. I can't think of any that give carte blanche to any journalist. They all do that. What I find interesting in this entire mess IS the mess. WTF are Gwyneth's publicist (Does she used Kevin Huvane?) and her team at CAA or where ever.

They're supposed to "assist and guide" the reporter. They always do. So my question is why did her people allow this to get so messy? It just stinks, and really, whether you are a friend of G's or not, I think Graydon will suffer some blowback for his high handed public pronouncements about it.

No one wants that kind of treatment. Vanity Fair is in the same league with Vogue in that regard. He may win this battle, but he is losing a larger war. His magazine rarely employs serious "journalists."

I've often found the features interesting and fun, but why pick on someone as non-controversial and boring as Gwyneth. So she says silly things and expresses herself inartfully at times. I've heard a lot worse. There's no fun in crushing someone like that. WTF doesn't he write an expose abut John Boehner ?

by Anonymousreply 4510/18/2013

Behind Paltrow’s feud with Vanity Fair

What exactly is Gwyneth Paltrow afraid of from Vanity Fair? Sources exclusively tell Page Six the glossy magazine might be digging deep into her “friendship” with handsome Miami billionaire Jeff Soffer.

We first revealed back in June that Gwynnie had warned friends not to talk to Vanity Fair, which is working on a story about her. She e-mailed pals, “If you are asked for quotes or comments, please decline.” VF editor in chief Graydon Carter this week told The Times of London, “We have a very good writer and it’ll run.”

Now we’re told that researchers on the story by top VF writer Vanessa Grigoriadis have been asking Miami society sources questions about Paltrow and Soffer, who is considered Miami royalty, owns the lavish Fontainebleau Hotel and recently married Elle Macpherson.

One said, “Vanity Fair is asking if Gwyneth had an affair with Jeff back in 2008 when he reopened the Fontainebleau. He flew her in for the party, and she stayed at his house.” Paltrow has been married to Coldplay rocker Chris Martin since 2003. They have two kids, Moses and Apple.

Paltrow — who wore a revealing little white dress to the resort’s reopening — sparked speculation about her relationship with Soffer after she attended a Victoria’s Secret party there and “remained closed off in a private section with Soffer,” The Post reported at the time.

Soffer reportedly gave Paltrow a private tour of the hotel, whisking her away in his Bentley, and the following day, she joined him on his yacht with Kate Hudson.

The Post also reported at the time that Martin and Paltrow had been on the rocks for months. Her rep explained back then, “Jeff Soffer is a friend of Gwyneth.” Neither Paltrow’s nor Soffer’s reps got back to Page Six on Thursday.

Other juicy VF topics could be Gwyneth’s epic falling out with ex-best friend Madonna, her Goop transformation and her casting-couch experiences. She told Elle, “When I was starting out, someone suggested that we finish a meeting in the bedroom. I left. I was pretty shocked.”

by Anonymousreply 4610/18/2013

Is Graydon gay?

by Anonymousreply 4710/18/2013

Is Graydon gay???????

Is he GAY??????????? Graydon??? GAY????

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

by Anonymousreply 4810/18/2013

[quote]Aren't most "serious" actors (and directors) save a very few trying to do a television series these days?

No kidding. TV, cable, netflix is where it's at right now. Downton Abbey, Breaking Bad, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Game of Thrones are exciting, original series with meaty roles. They all have a huge, rabid fan bases too. Everyone's dying to know what happens next. Movies are dead.

by Anonymousreply 4910/18/2013

Is DL down right now? I'm not seeing any threads except those that I flagged for my thread watcher.

by Anonymousreply 5010/19/2013

I'm pretty sure it's down R50. This sucks.

by Anonymousreply 5110/19/2013

[quote]Is Graydon gay?

This is the same question as "Is Gay gray?"

by Anonymousreply 5210/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.