Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jenny McCarthy might get fired from ‘The View’ because viewers totally hate her

The View isn’t favorable for Jenny McCarthy! A production source told exclusively that the newest co-host of the ABC morning show’s job is in jeopardy because her big mouth is making viewers tune out.

And incredibly, former Playboy Playmate McCarthy, 40, has proven to be even more unpopular with viewers than the polarizing Elisabeth Hasselbeck, who left The View for Fox News, the production insider revealed.

“ABC has begun doing deep research on Jenny’s work on the show and the initial findings are that viewers want to tune out the second she opens her mouth!” the source told Radar. “The data has revealed that she is FAR more off-putting than Elisabeth.”

Although The View titan Barbara Walters, 84, who is retiring from broadcasting in summer 2014, “isn’t looking for a replacement for Jenny yet, she is obsessed with ratings and the longevity of the show, so Jenny needs to turn it around or she will be gone.”

The source is unclear if McCarthy’s deal is for one year or two, but said that “if Barbara wants her out, they will buy out her contract.

“Right now they’re just trying to adjust Jenny’s performance on the show so that she comes off as more appealing, but that’s an uphill battle.”

According to The Wrap, The View has seen minor dips in total viewership after McCarthy’s debut.

The mother of an autistic son, McCarthy has come under fire by some for her controversial stance that vaccines cause autism.

by Anonymousreply 11610/18/2013

Helen Keller could have seen this coming. Network execs are the dumbest, most insulated dipshits on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 110/14/2013

I'm convinced you could hire archerfish to spit water at head shots of potential co-hosts with high Q ratings better than the execs. They are beyond stupid.

by Anonymousreply 210/14/2013

Why not get Mary Matalin? She looks like most badly aged women of her demographic, she's rabidly right wing but at least she's not stupid.

by Anonymousreply 310/14/2013

They were probably thinking that Jenny would be good for The View like Aisha Tyler is good for The Talk. Both are beautiful, somewhat well known comic actresses. But too bad Jenny is too overbearing and not relatable in the slightest.

by Anonymousreply 410/14/2013

They intentionally chose the controversial Jenny McCarthy. It creates buzz and controversy and keeps the View relevant as people are still talking about it. This thread is a case in point. Their plan is working.

by Anonymousreply 510/14/2013

We need a plan! How about this: We hire someone viewers will hate and who will cause our ratings to drop as viewers resultantly tune out. Then we plant items in gossip columns and trashy websites. It'll get us talked again--and that's where zero dollars are at!!!

by Anonymousreply 610/14/2013

Hmm...this is not how our focus groups reacted.

by Anonymousreply 710/14/2013

R4, I pictured Marlee Matlin which isn't a bad suggestion for a replacement either.

by Anonymousreply 810/14/2013

Brooke Shields - gorgeous, funny, a mother, educated, both relatable and aspirational. What's to know? HIRE HER.

by Anonymousreply 910/14/2013

Or maybe it's because, so what, who cares, I'm gone.

by Anonymousreply 1010/14/2013

There must be one centre right woman who can form a logical thought. Even if she's wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1110/14/2013

Focus groups and network research are so unreliable.

Maybe long-time viewers are put off because of all the recent changes. I don't watch and can't speak to how Jenny does, but, trusting these polls seems silly.

by Anonymousreply 1210/14/2013

they should lure Ann "breathless" Curry away from NBC. She's likeable and can still play the oh poor me card.

by Anonymousreply 1310/14/2013

The problem with the View is SHerry never EVER shuts the fuck up. Bobby Flay was on one day and those big mouthed broads didn't let him say two words. I was humiliating for the guy.

by Anonymousreply 1410/14/2013

It'll take 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 1510/14/2013

Jenny had co-hosted the View many times before they hired her.

They knew exactly what they were getting.

by Anonymousreply 1610/14/2013

Ann Curry is terrible as part of an ensemble. That was basically her undoing at Today. She's a decent reporter and news anchor, she might even be good as a solo talk host, but she has awful on-camera rapport with just about every member of the human race.

by Anonymousreply 1710/14/2013

Barbara doesn't want controversy anymore. In part, because this is her last year in the news business before she retires. You know she does not want anyone on who will take attention away from HER and the grandstanding she will get when she leaves.

I would love it if Star Parker joined. A completely batshit crazy freeper who makes Elizabeth look like Shari Lewis. She co-hosted once and is probably banned from appearing on there again. But the fireworks that would inevitably go down between Whoopi and her would make it must see TV everyday.

by Anonymousreply 1810/14/2013

What is Jenny's role? Is she supposed to be right wing?

by Anonymousreply 1910/14/2013

How about Kaye Ballard?

by Anonymousreply 2010/14/2013

Hmmmmmm. Barbara, Whoopi, Sherri, and Jenni. Pretty frightening group that most people have nothing in common with.

by Anonymousreply 2110/14/2013

what r1 said

by Anonymousreply 2210/14/2013

Sucks when you only get one season to catch on ....

by Anonymousreply 2310/14/2013

They should think a bit farther outside of the box. Yoko Ono could use a day job, right?

by Anonymousreply 2410/14/2013

r10, You really have it out for me don't you? Ain't happnin.' Not for all the tea in China.

by Anonymousreply 2510/14/2013

I was watching today, and got more distracted by the Lucy MAME filter on the camera that shoots close-ups on Barbara Walters. Do she and Kathy Griffin get how this is ten times more embarrassing than being shot naturally and on the same film stock as mid-shots and other angles?

I can't wait for Barbara Walters next segment on aging with dignity.

by Anonymousreply 2610/14/2013

I don't watch the show. The only pieces I have seen are Hasselbeck and O'Donnell going at it - thank-you youtube.

How reliable a source can this be? Knows the details of internal polling but has no idea how long her contract is?

This is probably a plant to spark interest in the show.

by Anonymousreply 2710/14/2013

R20, I believe she's supposed to be the "comedian"

by Anonymousreply 2810/14/2013

Before anything happens to Jennie Barbara and one of the ladies will have a real fight--one will walk off--Barbara almost had a real problem today when she came close to accusing them of being anti-Semitic. Stay tuned!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2910/14/2013

Whoopi looks like a sloppy old rasta man with a weight problem.

by Anonymousreply 3010/14/2013

This show is so fucking I'm supposed to give a shit what their opinions are on various topics? What made them so special?

by Anonymousreply 3110/14/2013

What happened today r14?

by Anonymousreply 3210/14/2013

Did you hear that comment Jenny made about Jews making money? The topic was Miley Cyrus' antisemitic remark about Jews, and Jenny went and made her own little remark! Priceless girl. She tries to be hip, but it isn't working.

by Anonymousreply 3310/14/2013

I'm simply her fan. A smart woman and nice add to the View.

by Anonymousreply 3410/14/2013

Jenny made a joke today about Jews and money and Barbara got quite pissed and said what she said was anti-Semitic. 'Twas awkward to watch.

My guess is she's gone soon

by Anonymousreply 3510/14/2013

R4 co-sign. They need a heavy hitter like a Mary Matalin, Donna Brazille. They can get out of this by making JM 'special guest host'.

by Anonymousreply 3610/14/2013

[quote]I'm simply her fan. A smart woman

Do smart people often argue against science in favor of a mom's intuition?

by Anonymousreply 3710/14/2013

What did Jenny say about Jews?

by Anonymousreply 3810/14/2013

Something along the lines of, "They sure do know how to make money."

No joke.

by Anonymousreply 3910/14/2013

R38 Have you ever heard of sarcasm?

by Anonymousreply 4010/14/2013

I only watch this show when I'm sick, which isn't often. The last time I saw it, Hasselcrack and Joy were on.

Any fool could have told Baba Wawa that Jenny McCarthy was crude, stupid, unlikable and that the frauen would hate her.

Baba had better get ready to buy out her contract.

by Anonymousreply 4110/14/2013

R35 = Annie Wilkes

by Anonymousreply 4210/14/2013

Sherri is intolerable. A genuine idiot. And she's just awful at interviews. The last ep I watched, Tim Allen was a guest. He was promoting whatever sitcom he has on ABC now. They were taking questions from Twitter, and someone tweeted a question like, "Will JTT ever be a guest star?" Sherri read the question, and pronounced JTT as "Jit."

Whoopi clearly just wants a paycheck. She feigns indifference at most of what they discuss.

But Barbara is really the worst. She's at that age now where it takes a good 3-4 minutes to finish a sentence. And then she gets frustrated when they interrupt her. She makes everything awkward.

by Anonymousreply 4310/14/2013

Jenny is making even me miss Elizabeth, and trust me, I view Ms Hasselback in the same category as Rick Santorum and Ted Crews.

She is grating and her self effacing act is so obviously phony. I know he is no prize, but how on earth did Jim Carrey put up with her ass for 4 years? And now she's banging Donnie Wahlberg of NKOTB. Hilarious! She'll be gone before Spring.

by Anonymousreply 4510/14/2013

I wonder how much the decrease is due to Joy being gone?

by Anonymousreply 4610/14/2013

Well, Carrey is crazy.

by Anonymousreply 4710/14/2013

Thought she said her son is no longer autistic. And in a recent interview she said that she does believe in vaccines, just not all at once. Typical phoney, liar, hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 4810/14/2013

[quote]Any fool could have told Baba Wawa that Jenny McCarthy was crude, stupid, unlikable and that the frauen would hate her.

I wonder if they had to disregard focus groups/ testing because Barbara wanted what she wanted. McCarthy may have been fine as a guest host here and there but she's always struck me as an obnoxious and she mugs shamelessly for the camera whenever I've seen her interviewed in brief clips. Maybe she's been relatively quiet on the show because she's been told to tone it down?

Just on the basis of her being a two time Playboy centerfold (the recent one was a short while ago), the producers or Walters should have understood how she might not fly with the demographic that watches the show.

by Anonymousreply 4910/14/2013

Sounds like they're trying to drum up publicity by releasing this story.

by Anonymousreply 5010/14/2013

Brooke Sheilds is screwed in the head and doesn't exercise enough.

by Anonymousreply 5110/14/2013

From the discussion today about Mylie Cyrus' comments on old Jewish men running record companies...

[quote]I gotta tell you, I would listen to anyone who is Jewish. They know how to make some money. (with a chuckle)

[quote]You see, that is an anti-semetic remark.

[quote]Well I don't know. I'm proud of them.

[quote]I know you don't know.

And then Barbara went on to explain how she wants people of different backgrounds and ideas on her show, but they have to be conscious of the potentially offensive things that they say.

by Anonymousreply 5210/14/2013

Team Barbara W on that one r53 - Jenny sounds like an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 5310/14/2013

[quote]they should lure Ann "breathless" Curry away from NBC. She's likeable and can still play the oh poor me card.

Surely you jest! She makes me want to throw things at the TV.

by Anonymousreply 5410/14/2013

i've never really been a fan. there has always been something off-putting about her

by Anonymousreply 5510/14/2013

I know I am going to be mocked for this...

I have watched The View religiously for about 10 years. It all started when broke my leg and was housebound for two weeks. Now, I listen to it like its a radio show at my desk at work. Trust me, I am embarrassed as I type.

As much as Elizabeth grated on me, it was good to have her there because she would at least have some sort of opinion (however stupid and misguided you may think it was,) and Joy provided a voice of reason. When the two of them would go at it, it was very entertaining. The show at least pretended to have actual political and news-worthy guests and conversations about actual things of import. didn't maintain a high level of discourse, but it maybe tried.

Now with those two gone, no one is able to hold up that kind of conversation. McCarthy and Sheppard now waste 10 minutes at the end of every other episode discussing things they read in Star magazine. The women now walk out to that awful "American Girl" song, which is cringeworthy because the median age of the women strutting out to it is maybe 63.

It sort of makes me sad.

by Anonymousreply 5610/14/2013

This is news? She's dumb and dull. She makes Sherri Shepard look like a Savant.

by Anonymousreply 5710/14/2013

Now that the other 2 are gone, Sherri has moved up the ladder. She is truly awful ...but she has gotten better at reading her cue cards but she is stupid. They should have gotten Kathy Griffin for the Joy spot and Brook Shields for Elizabeth- it would have been much better chemistry. With Jenny, there is none..

by Anonymousreply 5810/14/2013

Walters thought with Behar and Hasselback gone, the show needs 2 more very outspoken co-hosts. McCarthy is very outspoken but she's also a fucking moron and most women don't take her seriously because of her whorish past.

Many women feel the way Joan Rivers does in the following clip from 2 weeks ago on Fashion Police:

by Anonymousreply 5910/14/2013

I've never watched the Fashion Police before. That clip is just awful. Very juvenile. They're guffawing as though what's being said is profoundly funny.

by Anonymousreply 6010/14/2013

Babs know who she but she won't. Anyone with a brain never lasts. Except Joy. Whoopi is just there. Rosie, Meredith, Lisa had brains.

by Anonymousreply 6110/14/2013

They need to hire Margaret Cho.

by Anonymousreply 6210/14/2013

Can Kathy Griffin tone it down enough to be acceptable to viewers?

by Anonymousreply 6310/14/2013

Margaret Cho would be awesome!

by Anonymousreply 6410/14/2013

We're available!

by Anonymousreply 6510/14/2013

I'm Episcopalian. I was offended by the "Jewish joke".

You're a bigoted tool, R67.

by Anonymousreply 6710/14/2013

I think a lot of middle-aged women related to Joy. She's overweight, she's kind of fed up with things, she's kind of loud mouthed, but funny. I think a lot of middle-aged women think she is like them.

by Anonymousreply 6810/14/2013

Thank you, r71.

by Anonymousreply 7210/14/2013

When will people realize no one wants to watch a show with Jenny McCarthy? Her late night talk show on VH1? all of her shows, her OWN project...all of it ratings disasters. No one wants to watch Jenny McCarthy.

by Anonymousreply 7310/14/2013

twice I've noticed the studio audience audibly disgruntled by her opinions (all trite stuff but still...when she said she was sorry Bruce and Kris Jenner divorced and when she said she was happy Kanye stood up for himself to Jimmy Kimmell)

Who'd have ever thought Sherri Sheppard would become the "smart" one...(she kind of saved her both times.)

by Anonymousreply 7410/14/2013

It made no sense to hire her in the first place. They need another Lisa Ling, not another Matenopoulos. What happened to the whole "different women from different generations and different career backgrounds" thing they were trying to promote in the beginning? They need to hire a woman in her twenties, and another in her thirties to stay relevant.

by Anonymousreply 7510/14/2013

McCarthy was supposedly the replacement Joy Behar

by Anonymousreply 7610/14/2013

Team r71

by Anonymousreply 7710/14/2013

Today was pretty acrimonious. Barbara called her out for being anti-semetic. Then Gavin Degraw said something about not knowing if this was the start of something big or the beginning of the end...and Jenny muttered tell me about it.

BTW Star Jones was a guest ironically.

by Anonymousreply 7810/14/2013

R61 lighten up. That clip is hilarious. Rivers rightfully ripped McCarthy to shreds.

by Anonymousreply 7910/14/2013

What's funny is how obvious Barbara is when she's displeased.

by Anonymousreply 8010/14/2013

Water is wet.

by Anonymousreply 8110/14/2013

Jenny MCCarthy=the laundromat.

Because everyone in Hollywood has put a load in it.

by Anonymousreply 8210/14/2013

I had no idea that Barbara was so old. I thought she was only early-mid 70s.

by Anonymousreply 8410/14/2013

Who gives a shit, it doesn't matter who they get on that show, it will still suck, people should not talk that much.

by Anonymousreply 8510/14/2013

[quote] most women don't take her seriously because of her whorish past

by Anonymousreply 8610/14/2013

She's still a whore, darlin.

by Anonymousreply 8710/14/2013

People keep saying Barbara, Barbra and her inner Lesbian does come out once in a while but c'mon Jenny McCarthy is sitting there because Bill Gedde probably gets hard for her.

I took the show off my DVR, she's awful and now that Sheri has taken over it's unwatchable. Cho is a great idea, the show could use a queer view again, like The Talk, but Kathy Griffin would never movie to NY and leave her 94 year old Mother in LA. I think Jenny still commutes to Chicago. She only works Monday through Thursday so she flies back on Thursday night for the weekends.

by Anonymousreply 8810/14/2013

Why does it have to be another republican? The Talk doesn't seem to have any and their ratings are solid. And they make much more sense,especially Sarah and Aisha. And Sheryl is very funny to me!

by Anonymousreply 8910/14/2013

Merideth Joy and Star should team up and start a show...just to irritate bARBARA.

by Anonymousreply 9010/14/2013

I am not surprised. I don't even watch her show on vh1

by Anonymousreply 9110/14/2013

No one should start another one of these stupid blab fest shows. Human beings cannot provide an hours worth of interesting conversation a week much less 5 times a week. Crap if 3 or 4 guys got together once a week to gas away about their stupid opinions they would be just as brutally dull as these women are.

Maybe if the networks took away the fake court shows and stupid talk shows people would get a job...well not likely. If that phoney Rachel Ray ever prepared food that didn't contain ground turkey her fans would be surprised. And all that "Sammie" crap she talks about. Yuck, they're all a bunch of aging cheerleaders. As you can tell I stayed home sick one day last week and I don't have cable. OK I'm finished with my rant. But seriously I was embarrassed for them. Martha Steward might be a big old bully but at least she's a dignified bully. OK I'm really finished now, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 9210/15/2013

Where the hell did Sherri SHepherd come from? She seems to have sprung from out of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 9310/15/2013

I was watching the show and was dumbfounded when she made those remarks about Jews and money. That is a typical anti-Semitic rant- Whoopie is no angel either- always sticking up for her good pal Mel Gibson. I will not watch the View any longer. Enough is enough.

by Anonymousreply 9410/16/2013

She could be as smart as Sheldon Cooper and still sound like a moron. It's her Chi Town accent and dizzy delivery. And she needs to lose the hornrimmed glasses. They don't make her look "smart" they make her look like a phony poseur. The sexy Librarian look only works in a Playboy spread.

by Anonymousreply 9610/16/2013

[quote]Elisabeth Hasselbeck, who left The View for Fox News, the production insider revealed.

Is that how that went down? I thought Hasselbeck's contract was not renewed, i.e. she was shown the door. None of this "left for", but more like Fox News rescued her.

by Anonymousreply 9710/16/2013

Isn't Whoopi Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 9810/16/2013

They worded the announcement very carefully. Barbra denied that Hasselbeck was being give the heave ho, went on record that she had a home at The View as long as she wanted one. But, by then the damage had been done. And Hasselbeck knew if she stayed she would be blamed if the show took a dive in the ratings. Coupled with the fact that she was very unpopular with the audience and ABC was concerned that she was hurting the brand and the insider gossip about her chilly relationship with Barbra was never really addressed made her seek out a friendlier working environment. She chose to go but they were not about to stop her.

by Anonymousreply 9910/16/2013

That clip wit Joan Rivers was sad too. Since when has it become entertainment to publicly criticize people in such a catty way? This is why people have no manners anymore, everybody thinks it is OK to saw awful things about others. It's not even constructive. All these talk shows are sad, sad, sad!

by Anonymousreply 10010/16/2013

Holy shit R101, MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 10110/16/2013

She is not going to fuck up my swan song season!

by Anonymousreply 10210/16/2013

Hasselbeck go the Star Jones. She was told, you can say whatever you like as to the reason you are leaving. It was in fact Hasselbeck who released the news she was being fired (on the DL) forcing Walters to save face and keep her on through the summer. Joy on the other hand annouced she was leaving early and left with dignity. You notice Joy announced she was leaving, stuck around for months and had a big farewell show. Liz said she was leaving and was gone the next swan song.

by Anonymousreply 10310/16/2013

Okay, so in the interest of being fair I watched today's show. The guest host was Punky Brewster. Jenny McCarthy is less than useless. She doesn't add anything to this show. She's scared to death of saying something that will piss off Barbara. Not that Barbara gives her much of a chance to do that. The Jews are good at making money gaffe was one of the few times she was allowed to speak. And it backfired. The Queer Guys were on and when Jenny tried to compliment Tom, Barbara cut her off. For the rest of the segment Jenny just sat there smiling, in silence. The most animated she gets is during the voice over for the next segment when they are going to commercial. She will talk to Sherri or Whoopi but we, the audience. are not privy to what is being said. But boy, does she look like she's having FUN! She basically draws a paycheck for sitting there, smiling, shuffling through her cheat cards and smiling some more. Punky Brewster didn't say two words. This has become the Whoopi and Sherri show.

Barbara told Kressley that she wanted to see him back on television and he said "Well, I'm available." Jenny looked very uncomfortable. This show would be so much better with Ali Wentworth and Kressley. At least it would be lively and funny again.

by Anonymousreply 10410/16/2013

At the opening of the Punky Brewster show, Barbara demonstrated that she is aware of the stories about McCarthy not being in good favor on the show.

She said she wanted to take a moment to thank Jenny for joining the show and that she is happy she is at the table - something along those lines. She said she realized she hasn't said it since Jenny started.

Similar to how she had positive things to say about Hasselback earlier this year when the tabloid press was running stories saying that she was being canned for turning off too many viewers.

by Anonymousreply 10510/17/2013

[quote]Kathy Griffin would never movie to NY and leave her 94 year old Mother in LA.

Oh honey, I'd ditch my mother for a dollar and a vile of eye glitter. Money is my God and I worship hourly.

by Anonymousreply 10610/17/2013

Walters can use this as an example-just because someone is loud and outspoken, it doesn't mean she is A) intelligent or B) likable.

by Anonymousreply 10710/17/2013

Anytime Barbara Walters tells anyone on the view that the show is so lucky to have them, it usually means that that person has already been offered a goodbye package and has 2-3 weeks to pick their farewell date.

by Anonymousreply 10810/18/2013

OMG ,yes I know I should stop watching...I just put the online show at night while I'm doing other things online BUT

today they babbled for 8 minutes about the guest host's husband before they got to an actual topic!!!

It is like they are consciously trying to make the show unwatchable so it gets cancelled as soon as Barbara goes.

by Anonymousreply 10910/18/2013

It sure sounded like Jenny was setting up her exit today. Whoopi made a big production regarding Jenny's "Hot Button Issue", said issue being her angst over leaving her son in Chicago while she works in NYC. Jenny most likely will soon announce she moving back home for the sake of the child. Lady Wawa was not in attendance today.

by Anonymousreply 11010/18/2013

She can go back to what she does best-being vulgar and crass. BUH bye! Babs' last season is an embarassment. The show has turned into low class crap. Please fire Sherri while you're at it.

by Anonymousreply 11110/18/2013

[quote]Barbara Walters is Jewish. Could be the reason she took offense to the Jewish joke.

In addition to accepting stereotypes, R67 erroneously says "took offense to" instead of using the correct form: "took offense at".

Off with his head!

by Anonymousreply 11210/18/2013

"Attention all Marshall's shoppers: Today only, all red-tagged items are an additional 50% off their ticketed price. As always--thank you for shopping Marshall's!"

by Anonymousreply 11310/18/2013

Why does Jenny live in Chicago? Where does her ex-husband live? Is he involved with the kid at all?

by Anonymousreply 11410/18/2013

Whoopi and Sherri take offence at every thing they perceive to be anti black, so the Boss can take offense to something she perceives to be anti Jewish, even though she isn't a practicing one. The 2 darkies also took offense at that stupid Chinese viral song cause they thought it was rascist. And yes Whoopi, Jews do eat bagels and lox and blacks do eat watermelon and fried's a get over yourself.

by Anonymousreply 11510/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!