Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

When will the cyber bullying stop!

This poor girl.

Sheriff says Fla. 12-year-old committed suicide after being bullied online by over a dozen girls

LAKELAND, FLA. – A 12-year-old Florida girl committed suicide after she was bullied online by more than a dozen girls and a sheriff said Thursday that he is investigating whether he can file charges under Florida's new law that covers cyber-bullying.

Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said that Rebecca Ann Sedwick jumped to her death on Monday at an old cement business in Lakeland, a city between Tampa and Orlando. Investigators say the girl was despondent after others had posted hate messages about her online.

Sedwick was "absolutely terrorized on social media," Judd said.

The Lakeland Ledger reports that detectives found multiple social media applications where Sedwick was constantly bullied with messages, including "Go kill yourself," and "Why are you still alive?"

He said parents of all 15 girls have cooperated with detectives and several cellphones and laptops have been confiscated. Judd said charges could be filed -- including cyber stalking.

"If we can get any evidence of a criminal offense, the person or persons involved will be punished," he said.

Before her death, Sedwick had searched questions online related to suicide, including "How many over-the-counter drugs do you take to die?" and "How many Advil do you have to take to die?"

Detectives also found photos of Sedwick with razor blades lying on her arms and with her head resting on a railroad track, Judd said.

Judd said a 12-year-old boy in North Carolina, who Sedwick met through social media, knew of her plan. Sedwick messaged him only hours before her death saying she was dead and "I'm jumping, I can't take it anymore."

Sedwick also changed her name on a free messaging application to "That Dead Girl."

Judd said detectives are trying to investigate the social media applications that Sedwick used, including Kik and, but many of the websites are based in other countries.

If detectives can find evidence, according to Florida law, the girls could be charged with felony cyber stalking because Sedwick was under 16 years old.

"If you bully somebody online and it's reported to us and we can build a credible case, we will charge you," Judd said.

by Anonymousreply 11010/16/2014

Perfect topic to discuss here

by Anonymousreply 110/14/2013 always

by Anonymousreply 410/14/2013

Settle, r3.

by Anonymousreply 510/14/2013

I sympathize for the poor kid, but I don't totally understand cyber-bullying. I mean real-life bullying (in schools) is something that most kids can't physically avoid, but bullying online I would think that anyone could just shut down the computer, close their accounts and be anonymous?

by Anonymousreply 1110/14/2013

I agree with you, R11. But most kids live their lives on the internet these days. At least when you are bullied in school you know it is over when school is out. Online bullying never stops. But you can shut down your accounts and be done with it, like you said. Unless of course, kids are posting your name all over the internet and making fun of you. I wish parents would just follow what their kids do online.

by Anonymousreply 1210/14/2013

Why don't parents just pull their kids out of school and homeschool them? That's your first thought?

Look, moron, most parents work and homeschooling is an appalling thing to do to a child. Healthy children have no desire to be with parents 24/7/365 and healthy parents don't want that either. Homeschooling is bad for children's intellectual, psychological and social development. Suggesting a school transfer or boarding school would have been a lot more sensible.

We know that bullying is a problem and a serious matter, especially for gay youth. A lot of us have been there. Still, the title of this thread and the way you semi-hysterical fraus and lesbifraus are clacking and clucking about it inspires nothing but loathing.

Work, girls, you need to find a J.O.B.

by Anonymousreply 1310/14/2013

Please don't let them be whi...

by Anonymousreply 1610/14/2013

No cell phones until high school.

No computers in your room.

No Facebook until age 18.

by Anonymousreply 1710/14/2013

This happened to my sister's 12 year old. Well not the suicide. Fortunately my sister is a high riding bitch. She went to the school with her lawyer and told them they had 48 hours to remove the offending girls from the school or they would have a door closing lawsuit on their hand for not providing a safe environment for her daughter.

She also went after the families and tightened things up on her end. Her daughter was not allowed unfettered access to the internet anymore and was enrolled in some other real life activities as opposed to this cyber shit.

by Anonymousreply 2110/14/2013

I don't get the whole bullying thing. I was the fat queer kid in school. Dad was in the military so we moved almost every year. I was always the new kid, and an outsider. Did I get bullied? You bet. Did I go home and hang myself in the closet? Hell no....It made me a stronger person and I have survived a few things that would have crushed others.

We are making a generation of wimpy kids. "Mommy make them quit saying mean things about me"

by Anonymousreply 2210/14/2013

The default setting for humans seems to be: ASSHOLE.

by Anonymousreply 2610/14/2013

Keep you kids offline.

Problem solved!

by Anonymousreply 2710/14/2013

We have that here. Right wing trolls are forever trying to get people here to kill themselves. And others are always threatening suicide.

by Anonymousreply 2810/14/2013

The "Right Wing Trolls" are not the ones telling people to "die in a grease fire"

Those would be the peace loving liberals.

by Anonymousreply 2910/14/2013

Middle school kids are vicious. It's always been like that.

by Anonymousreply 3210/14/2013

Wait, while the idiots who were "bullying" online are culpable, where is parental responsibility?

Why weren't the parents aware of what was happening?

Why weren't the parents monitoring their child's activities online?

Children require that they be taught coping skills. You can't just go on autopilot as a parent and expect teachers, schools, and everyone else to watch out for your kids. YOU have to be vigilant.

This is not an 'either or' situation where it's one group's fault. It's an AND situation where multiple parties should have been more responsible.

by Anonymousreply 3310/14/2013

I don't understand why the parents of the bullied kids are letting them BE on the internet. At 12, you should not have a phone or a facebook or twitter or any unsupervised access to the internet

The bullies should get expelled and charged (and ideally their shitty parents should get charged too), but the parents of the bullied kids need to step the fuck up too and protect their kids. If that means the kid gets picked on at school for not being cool because they don't have iPhones or unfettered access to social media/internet, then so be it. At least that's where the bullying will STOP (when the school day stops) *because* the kid isn't on social media.

by Anonymousreply 3510/14/2013

You gotta figure too that what went on on line also spilled over to school.

by Anonymousreply 3610/14/2013

I think this has always gone on, we're just hearing about it more now. Partially because bullying seems to be a storyline that draws eyeballs, it must be or the media wouldn't focus on it. Also because it skews "young" and young eyeballs are big money to advertisers.

As usual, follow the money...

by Anonymousreply 3710/14/2013

It's because America is becoming a much nicer place.

by Anonymousreply 3910/14/2013

Depends. When will the cyber stop?

by Anonymousreply 4010/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 4210/14/2013

R44, and so much of schooling is done on the internet now. I have a friend who's a teacher and posts homework assignments and class questions on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 4510/14/2013

No, it isn't r44. It just requires some balls. There is nothing on the internet that they're missing out on, unless it has to do with schoolwork.

by Anonymousreply 4610/14/2013

[quote]There are homeschool groups that some parents run where children of similar ages are taught together. When one of my brothers was going through chem/radiation and we were having trouble finding a normal school that would have accommodated him--even the 25k per year schools were unworkable--we eventually joined a homeschool group that he went to everyday.

R19, who is this "we" you are referring to? You, as a child, were tasked with finding a suitable school for your brother?

Pulling a perfectly healthy child out of normal school and homeschooling them is not the same thing as a very ill child needing a school that can/will accommodate his medical needs. A group of unrelated children being taught, presumably by a qualified teacher, is not the same as Susie Homemaker deciding that Jesus told her to protect her children from the evils of other people and education. It's also not the same as taking a bullied kid and isolating them at home, as if they deserved to be run out of school in the first place.

I stand by my assessment of the intellectual, psychological and emotional damage that homeschooling does to children. You fraus have got to stop posting the first thing that comes into your heads and mistaking individual anecdotes for factual data. t

by Anonymousreply 5010/14/2013

[quote]He said parents of all 15 girls have cooperated with detectives and several cellphones and laptops have been confiscated

At least that's good news.

by Anonymousreply 5110/14/2013

Parents do allow kids too much online access at too early an age. My niece is 11 years old, and has had her own computer with Internet for three years now. She also got a smartphone last year. Her parents (brother-in-law & wife) are not bad people, they just allow waaay too much freedom. This recently came to a head. The girl's mom recently sent a message out through her daughter's Facebook page saying that her Internet privileges were being suspended because......surprise, she and some of her friends were bullying a girl online. It really is so easy for kids to be mean now.

by Anonymousreply 5210/14/2013

I call it subcontracting.

by Anonymousreply 5410/14/2013

Would Lifetime need to pay a license fee if they called the movie of this girl's life "How many Advil do you have to take to die?"

by Anonymousreply 5610/14/2013

Thank you, R22.

by Anonymousreply 5710/14/2013

Ummmm R34, you do know you could have changed your AOL screen-name or set your IM preferences to block/allow certain users?

by Anonymousreply 6010/15/2013

It seems to be mostly a girl-on-girl or boy-on-girl thing. Girls don't like to be 'direct' when they bully someone, it's ways underhanded and the internet is a perfect medium for that.

I've also noticed this type of behaviour in discussion boards, men are very direct with their insults/disagreements, women on the other hand wrap them up in hearts, flowers and rainbows, making treacherously sacharine statements like 'let's all agree to disagree'.

A random group of women/girls at school, college or work can seem very well-behaved and unperturbed on the surface, when in reality there's a quagmire of intense hatred and jealousy lurking right underneath. Things can go out of hand pretty quickly as well, for no apparent reason, I've seen this happen at work a lot.

by Anonymousreply 6110/15/2013

One of us here feels very strongly about this subject matter as has been on a bender since this past weekend.

by Anonymousreply 6710/15/2013

In Holland there recently was a murder that involved facebook (it was dubbed 'The Facebookkilling').

A girl had gotten into a fight with her former best friend (who had accused her of cheating on FB). This girl and her pussywhipped boyfriend then hired a teenage contract killer (an acquaintance of theirs) to kill her former friend and he did so by stabbing her to death. All three of them are now in a youth-prison for the criminally insane.

by Anonymousreply 7210/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 7510/15/2013

The cold one looks like Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 7610/15/2013

I've never met a Guadalupe I've liked.

by Anonymousreply 7710/15/2013

This is so disturbing. On the other hand, it's probably no worse than when I was a kid except the explosion of social media allows the bully to intensify the attack many times over. What's wrong with these kids?

by Anonymousreply 8010/15/2013

I'm not a parent, but I wouldn't want my kids cruising the internets. Too many opportunities to be exploited and abused at that age.

Thought how would you prevent it? They'll just go to the library or use a friend's.

My last two relationships ended because I caught them cheating online.

I've weaned myself off so much of it: pron, social sites, email. I've turned the clock back to 1990.

by Anonymousreply 8110/15/2013

Two girls charged in case of bullied Florida girl who committed suicide

Two girls, ages 12 and 14, have been charged with aggravated stalking for what a Florida sheriff described Tuesday as "maliciously harassing" a 12-year-old girl who jumped from a tower to her death.

The middle school students were booked into a juvenile detention center on Monday night and released to their parents under house arrest, Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said.

Rebecca Sedwick, 12, jumped to her death from a third-story cement plant structure in central Florida on Sept. 10 after being verbally, physically and cyber bullied throughout 2012 and 2013, Judd said.

"She should be here. And she should be here to see justice getting served," her mother, Tricia Norman said.

At a Tuesday news conference, Judd said investigators were in the midst of gathering information from social media sites about the bullies’ interactions with Sedwick, but a Facebook post by the 14-year-old which read, “yes I bullied Rebecca and she killed herself, but I don’t give a (expletive),” prompted Monday's arrests.

Judd said detectives arrested the 12-year-old, who was one of Sedwick’s “primary” bullies, because they decided, “We can’t leave her out there. Who else is she going to torment, who else is she going to harass?”

While bullying is not a crime, Judd said, the girls have been charged with aggravated stalking — a third-degree felony — because the victim was younger than 16 years old.

"We've lost sleep over that child dying needlessly. And we want to see things change," Judd said.

In addition to the 14-year-old's Facebook confession, Judd said both girls made "incriminating statements" when they were arrested.

He said the girls’ case would proceed in the juvenile system and any punishment would depend on juvenile sanctions, adding, “it won’t be severe enough, in my estimation, for this conduct.”

Judd said the 14-year-old started to “torment” Sedwick in 2012 and according to a Polk County Sheriff’s statement, other children at the school also started bullying Sedwick to avoid being bullied themselves. The 12-year-old was Sedwick’s former “best friend,” Judd said.

Sedwick’s mother removed her daughter from the school, but the bullying continued online, where the 14-year-old wrote harassing insults, including that Sedwick should “kill herself” and “drink bleach and die,” Judd said.

“We believe that it certainly contributed to [Sedwick] jumping from the cement towers,” Judd said.

by Anonymousreply 8210/16/2013

99% of these female bullies we encounter in middle school end up being just as shitty as adults that we have to encounter in the workplace/grocery store/etc., except now they're protected by a perverse understanding of 'feminism' which allows them to attack at will with no remorse.

by Anonymousreply 8410/16/2013

and they are all anti-feminist, R84!

by Anonymousreply 8510/16/2013

The internet and social media is unavoidable. But I guess I don't understand how parents can give their 12 year-olds free and unfettered access to it. They're children. It's like letting them play unsupervised on a busy freeway.

My 13 year old niece begged and pleaded with her parents to allow her to open a facebook account. All her friends were on FB and she felt left out. My sister and her husband finally relented. But the rules are that they know the password to this and her email account and they will check them and her private messages regularly.

They also make their presence on their daughter's FB page known. They posts things on her wall, comment on her posts and her friends posts, and so on.

They make it clear to her daughter and her daughter's friends that this isn't private bully time. Mom and Dad are in the room and they're carefully watching every move.

I realize a lot of parents claim that they're too busy to properly care for their children. But my sister and her husband are busy professionals too. And they've made their daughter and her safety a priority.

by Anonymousreply 8610/16/2013

The parents are in total denial and lying through their teeth.

The parents of one of the teenage girls accused of bullying Rebecca Sedwick to suicide said they monitored their daughter's Facebook activities nightly and saw no signs of bullying, leading them to believe someone hacked her account.

The stunned parents of the 14-year-old girl charged with felony aggravated stalking described their daughter as a "lovable," "caring" girl who was not a bully. They are the parents of seven and say they pride themselves on their involvement with their children's lives.

"I would check her Facebook every time she would get on it," the suspect's mother told ABC News Tuesday night.

The teen's father said, "If we saw something that was not right, we would've addressed it and it would've ended right then."

The parents said they monitored their daughters Facebook account and her cellphone.

The parents are reeling from the vile portrait Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd painted of their daughter. Judd accused the 14-year-old and a 12-year-old girl of leading the digital torment against the 12-year-old Rebecca, who jumped from a concrete silo tower to her death Sept. 9.

Teen Charged in Fatal Cyberbullying Case of Rebecca Sedwick to Remain in Jail

The two girls were arrested and charged Monday night with felony aggravated stalking in Rebecca's death, who would've celebrated her 13th birthday this weekend.

The 14-year-old's parents tearfully lashed out at Judd for exposing their daughter's name and photo on live TV Tuesday during a news conference to announce the charges. Judd also identified the younger suspect. ABC News is not revealing either girl's identity because they have been charged as juveniles.

"My daughter don't deserve to be in the place she's in right now and I just hope that the truth comes to the surface so we can get out of this nightmare," her father told ABC News.

When asked whether their daughter's Facebook account was hacked, her father replied, "Oh, I'm sure of that."

The teen's mother added: "Yeah, we're sure of that."

The father of the younger alleged bully told ABC News he wishes he could have done more if he knew more about social media.

"I feel horrible about the whole situation," he said. "It's my fault, maybe that I don't know more about that kind of stuff. I wish I did."

The parents of the accused 14-year-old say their daughter will most likely remain in the juvenile wing of the Polk County Jail until her next hearing Oct. 25.

Judd said Tuesday he brought both girls into custody because he saw a lack of remorse.

He pointed to a Facebook post allegedly written this weekend by the 14-year-old suspect that said, "'Yes, I bullied Rebecca and she killed herself but I don't give a f---."

Judd said, "You can add the last word yourself."

The suspect's mother denied her daughter would ever write something so heinous on Facebook.

"No, she wouldn't write anything like that. She's not that type of girl that would just say something like that," her mother said.

The teen's father said whenever he saw inappropriate language on his daughter's social media accounts, he would bring it to her attention immediately.

"I'll be honest with you, the only time we saw something, like her language maybe not appropriate, we would address her and say you can't be like this. And there'd be a lot of times where my wife would be looking through the phone and making sure everything's good," her father said.

The alleged bullying started in December 2012 when Rebecca and the two suspects were students at Crystal Lake Middle School, according to a statement from the Polk County Sheriff's Office.

Judd said the 14-year-old suspect had started dating a boy Rebecca had been seeing, but the girl "didn't like that and began to harass and ultimately torment Rebecca."

The teen allegedly sent Rebecca menacing messages on Facebook calling her ugly, telling her to "drink bleach and die," and encouraging her to kill herself, police said.

by Anonymousreply 8710/16/2013

The parents are lying through their teeth. It's not hard to see her past posts and see if she actually bullied the other girl and it is certainly not hard to see if she was hacked or not. They should just STFU and admit they raised a psychotic monster.

by Anonymousreply 8810/16/2013

All these girls, including the victim, lived in trailers out in the sticks. Guadelupe has the shittiest digs, with the family's laundry strung out all over the yard and on the fence.

There's very little parenting going on.

Rebecca's mother did take her out of school for months until she could get her into an excellent middle school where the kids actually have lives, so I give her that. She didn't, however, take away her phone. Such a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 9010/16/2013

No, r90, I'm saying that these are not princesses from Heathers or Mean Girls like many like to assume. These are girls that live in a rough world. That ringleader girl looks hard as hell.

I live in this town and was just adding color commentary on the story. I know the school they all attended and there are a lot of neglected, free range children around there with little else to do.

The new, good school Rebecca was briefly in is free. It's a magnet and your parents have to give a damn enough about you to get off the couch and apply to get you in. The kids there are heavily involved in activities and have to stay out of trouble to remain enrolled.

by Anonymousreply 9210/17/2013

Thanks for clearing that up r92. Bullying is a horrendous issue with so many layers and complications. I will say both girls do look like pure evil. I wonder how much was circumstance and how much was from their DNA.

by Anonymousreply 9310/17/2013

The mom of the sociopathic-looking girl got arrested today for child neglect and an unrelated child physical abuse incident (that one of her other dumb-ass kids posted video of on FB).

Watch the video of her going to booking, if only to see a DL perfect storm of fashion atrocities. I'm still trying to figure out if the red up her ass crack is part of the tie-dye pattern or period blood. I can't believe this heifer is only 30.

by Anonymousreply 9410/18/2013

the mother looks like she's an old hand at getting arrested.

by Anonymousreply 9510/18/2013

Yeah, the mom does look really natural with her arms behind her back. I'm pretty sure the parents have substance abuse problems.

by Anonymousreply 9610/18/2013

I wonder what Janet Jackson has to say about all of this. Wasn't she picked on as a child growing up in Gary, Indiana? Janet needs to record a PSA and win some type of humanitarian award for promoting a Rhythm Nation.

by Anonymousreply 9710/18/2013

but it is wonderful publicity for "Carrie"

by Anonymousreply 9810/18/2013

We should invite that bully to a free lifetime membership in DataLounge. I sense a starlette in the making.

by Anonymousreply 10510/19/2013

We are raising a nation of aggressive haters by providing them with multiple platforms to be mean and vindictive. You're not going to stop the haters, but you can decide which social media outlets you'll allow your child to be a part of. That's part of parenting today. You don't need to be on Facebook or Twitter or Instagram to have a fulfilling life as a teenager or tween, yet many have beem brainwashed into rhinking otherwise. If you don't want that influence coming into your home, then step up, be a parent, and disallow its usage in the household you the adult manage.

by Anonymousreply 10610/19/2013

it is the new just have to teach kids to deal with it

by Anonymousreply 10910/19/2013

Kind Campaign: How kindness can put a stop to bullying -

by Anonymousreply 11010/16/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!