Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My husband said Angela Lansbury isn't a good singer!

Is he crazy ??

by Anonymousreply 5410/19/2013

I've always thought of her as a character singer rather than a legit singer. She wavers on her notes rather than hitting them solidly. Good or bad I think is up to the listener.

by Anonymousreply 110/13/2013

Your husband speaks the truth.

by Anonymousreply 210/13/2013

I remember watching an old episode of Family Feud and one of the questions during the bonus round was "Name the best female singer?" The guy said, "CAROL CHANNING!"

Richard Dawson cracked up and had to stop the clock until he composed himself.

by Anonymousreply 310/13/2013

She sang Mame and Gypsy pretty well, but I think it had taken a lot of hard work and practice to get her to that point. She hadn't done musical before that point, mainly straight acting jobs.

by Anonymousreply 410/13/2013

I imagine the pencils went flying in the house after that comment, OP!

by Anonymousreply 510/13/2013

She does her own singing in "Till the Clouds Roll By" and in "The picture of Dorien Grey" and I thought she was wonderful!

by Anonymousreply 610/13/2013

Given Lansbury tract record - where she's performed and in what, as well as the awards she has won...well I wonder what your husband's definition of a good singer might be?

by Anonymousreply 710/13/2013

She's never get past the first audition on American Idol!

by Anonymousreply 810/13/2013

Despite partnering up with a complete idiot, your husband has proven that he's capable of intelligent thought.

Angela Lansbury is a great actress, but she can't sing for shit.

by Anonymousreply 910/13/2013

Funny you mention Idol. He said Lansbury is who they're referring to when they say someone is too Broadway. But that's what they say about bad singers as a criticism!

by Anonymousreply 1010/13/2013

She's a "character" singer like R1 said, but when her voice suits the role it's magic.

Compare her touching rendition of "Beauty and the Beast" to Celine Dion's technically superior, but sterile version.

by Anonymousreply 1110/13/2013

Did she sing in "The Harvey Girls"?

by Anonymousreply 1210/13/2013

Most Broadway performers who have appeared in as many musicals as Lansbury do a studio CD or live recording in a club. They also sing songs from other shows in TV or radio appearances. Lansbury may have done some of these things, but I do not recall any.

Angela Lansbury is wonderful singing songs within the context of a show, but she has seldom gone beyond that, which is fine.

by Anonymousreply 1310/13/2013

Tyne Daly owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1410/13/2013

Character singer is a great description. I believe she's even said that she really can't sing when she's not in character, which is why she's never release an album.

I actually think she's quite good in the right role and with the keys adjusted. For example, when she did Gypsy, she didn't use Merman's keys and I thought she nailed it. Her "Rose's Turn" is the most thrilling, heartbreaking, and terrifying version I've ever heard. Plus, she was the first one to ever take the last note on "Some People" up the octave, which was terrific.

I much prefer true musical theatre performers like her over the sterile, nasally pitch perfect ones these days. They all sound the same.

by Anonymousreply 1510/13/2013

But she sure is a looker...

by Anonymousreply 1610/13/2013

She did NOT do her own singing in "The Harvey Girls" but I DID!

Never the less we all loved her at MGM.

by Anonymousreply 1710/13/2013

Love her movie rendition of "Beauty and the Beast", which she did in one take. Her voice isn't "pleasant" (it's got a cat-scratch quality to it) and doesn't have the pure, crystalline tone of more technically talented singers, but she can infuse a whole lot of emotion and depth into her lyrical phrasing and knows how to interpret the hell out of a song.

by Anonymousreply 1810/13/2013

Equal time for Merman, whom I saw sing "Rose's Turn" in "Gypsy." I did not see Lansbury, so I can not argue with R16, either yes or no.

Merman gave one of the greatest performances in "Gypsy" I have ever seen on Broadway. And she recorded many singles (early in her career) as well as albums later on.

Mary Martin did a wonderful album of Richard Rodgers' songs, w/ Rodgers playing the piano (none of the songs were from shows she appeared in on stage). And she sang some of those song in concert to the end of her life (as well as various Cole Porter songs).

Again, I am knocking Angela Lansbury, just pointing out that there were Broadway stars who had recording career, although not major ones.

by Anonymousreply 1910/13/2013

Are you kidding me? He obviously has never heard her rendition of "The Greatest Love of All." Thanks to AngLan, Whitney Houston had to stop believing she owned this song.

Not to mention Miss Lansbury's rendition of "O Mio Babbino Caro."

And everyone has to believe that Angela Lansbury's "Blurred Lines" is the greatest song of all time.

by Anonymousreply 2010/13/2013

You two are both so old it could just be senile dementia.

by Anonymousreply 2110/13/2013

OP, your husband is probably too stupid to understand that Lansbury is a singing actress, and that her singing voice has been excellent and appropriate for every role she has played. Also, she has (or had) a lovely soprano register that she rarely used during her career, but you can hear a little bit of it in SWEENEY TODD and a couple of other roles, and you can hear a lot of it if you can find a bootleg audio of her perf. in THE KING AND I on Broadway. (I believe she also sings soprano in DORIAN GREY, but I haven't seen that movie in years.)

by Anonymousreply 2210/13/2013

Is she still alive?

by Anonymousreply 2310/14/2013

She is indeed still alive. Do we have a picture of Angela Lansbury. Why, yes, here she is:

by Anonymousreply 2410/14/2013

If you watch Angela singing "I Don't want To Know" at 2:18 and still think she can't sing, you're crazy.

by Anonymousreply 2510/14/2013

I loved Angela's cover of "Toucha-Toucha-Toucha Touch Me" on her "Broadway - Angela's Way" album.

by Anonymousreply 2610/14/2013

So, OP. Did you grab a pencil and dash to the phone and dial 911?

by Anonymousreply 2710/14/2013

R25 That is absolutely hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 2810/14/2013

Technically, she's not a good singer. She blew her voice out doing Anyone Can Whistle, which is not a hard score. Sondheim was so aware of her limitations after that show that Mrs. Lovett is basically tailored specifically for her range limitations and passaggio.

Julie Andrews was also a technically bad singer, as was Judy Garland. I guess the key word in that sentence is "technically", since no one disputes that these women weren't fantastic performers.

by Anonymousreply 2910/14/2013

Wait, what, R30?

How was Julie Andrews a bad singer, technically or otherwise?

by Anonymousreply 3010/14/2013

"Julie Andrews was also a technically bad singer"

Like r31, I would love to hear more about why you think this.

by Anonymousreply 3110/14/2013

When Two Bottoms Marry: The True Story of Spinster Song and Scandal!

by Anonymousreply 3210/14/2013

Being a "character singer" and a "good singer" are hardly mutually exclusive.

next!

by Anonymousreply 3310/14/2013

[quote] Technically, she's not a good singer. She blew her voice out doing Anyone Can Whistle, which is not a hard score.

You neglect to mention that ACW was her first stage musical gig.

I think Lansbury's vocals improved hugely from MAME to GYPSY.

If she was not technically solid in her range, she would not have been able to sing the score to GYPSY for as long as she did. Compare her with Tyne Daly, for instance.

by Anonymousreply 3410/14/2013

Angela sure was a spritzer when she sang. Once sat in the front row at Sweeney Todd and watched with amazement at the amount of saliva that came out of her mouth.

by Anonymousreply 3510/14/2013

Having discovered Barbara Cook a few years back, I can't listen to Julie Andrews without thinking how weak she seems next to Cook.

by Anonymousreply 3610/14/2013

Well she never recorded a disco album!

by Anonymousreply 3710/14/2013

Julie Andrews WEAK!!

Thats funny as I have always thought that Cook was the weak one.

by Anonymousreply 3810/14/2013

OP, your husband is a dumb turd. Dump him!

by Anonymousreply 3910/14/2013

Wait, is OP Michelle Bachmann?

by Anonymousreply 4010/15/2013

I was at a sitcom taping and to win some swag I went up during a break and sang the show's theme song in front of the audience.

I couldn't sing, but I really wanted the swag.

As I was talking through the song, the warm up guy said, "Okay. We're getting the Richard Harris version."

by Anonymousreply 4110/15/2013

[quote]I imagine the pencils went flying in the house after that comment, OP!

No one could make a phone call for a week.

by Anonymousreply 4210/15/2013

Today is Angela Lansbury's birthday. She turns 88! Happy Birthday Angela.

by Anonymousreply 4310/16/2013

I played him Beauty & The Beast. He still think she's not a good singer! So frustrating!

by Anonymousreply 4410/16/2013

I have to admit I get a kick out of discussions like this one.

It's pretty common - about singers, movies, books, great beauty etc...

There are always folks who want to divorce the technical aspect from the entertainment piece.

For example I don't how you come up with a definition of good singer that wouldn't include Lansbury, Garland and Andrews.

I think if you successfully and repeatedly engage a large audience as a singer - you are by default a good singer.

The big question is what is the motivation to exclude women who have very successful careers as singers from the group of good singers? One of Aesop's fables is running through my mind.

by Anonymousreply 4510/16/2013

Lansbury is clearly the talent in that delightfully goofy number. Susan Hayward, and Roz Russell both look as if they've just been told of their pending cancer deaths. Not amused.

by Anonymousreply 4610/16/2013

From The King and I

by Anonymousreply 4710/17/2013

"Beauty and the Beast" doesn't make the best argument for her because she's being cutesy, OP. Play him something ballsy like "If He Walked Into My Life Today".

by Anonymousreply 4810/17/2013

OP my husband says Angela Lansbury gives good head.

by Anonymousreply 4910/17/2013

She's no Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 5010/17/2013

Did someone already mention Angela's masterful interpretation of "Beauty and the Beast?" That song is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 5110/19/2013

Two words for him:

Traguna Magoides

by Anonymousreply 5210/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.