Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is anyone else tired of their white trash family?

Yes, I'm white trash. Apparently the white trash gene runs in my generation. It doesn't really matter if some in the family were spared the white trash disease...believe me, they are fucked up in other ways.

I look around and observe the families of my friends. THEY are also fucked up, even if they aren't afflicted with white trash.

With white trash, there is quite a bit of violence and poverty. With the more "respectable" families, they have other problems...greed, pedophilia, suicide. But right this minute, I'm just sick and tired of WHITE TRASH and I'm wondering, would people be better off if they had no brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles...?

by Anonymousreply 4610/15/2013

I've never felt my anyone in my family is or was white trash.

What a strange question.

by Anonymousreply 110/13/2013

OP, you need a copy of this sign.

by Anonymousreply 210/13/2013

Not even one secret white trash member? How would you describe your family? Any sociopaths?

by Anonymousreply 310/13/2013

I am fortunate to come from a family of educated, ambitious, culture-loving, non-bigoted, loving, hard working, non-white trash people. Not that they aren't without issues, but white trashism is not one of them.

My partner's family (together 20 years), on the other hand, contains a branch of white trash losers. Although most of them are decent people there is a rotten branch nearby. His parents are from the South, it's the California branch where we live (aunts, uncles, cousins), that is rife with mental illness, alcoholism, drug abuse, unwed parents, unemployment, shiftlessness, lack of gumption, and other distressing white trash mayhem.

I do not like them, hate spending time with them (although visits are rare). The two we see the most, his mother and brother, aren't as bad as the rest, but they have other annoying issues. His mother is a rabid conservative, a mean Christian if you will. His brother is OK, but lacks gumption and never did much with his life. He's divorced, no kids, a heavy smoker, and living on the edge of poverty.

My partner is very smart, educated, successful, and takes care of his health. It's a miracle his family didn't drag him down.

by Anonymousreply 410/13/2013

Only for the last 20 something years

by Anonymousreply 510/13/2013

What defines white trash in this day and age?

by Anonymousreply 610/13/2013

At this point r4, I don't know if you are a snob but you do sound kind of lucky.

I don't think white trash is always linked to poverty or laziness, it might have more to do with a lack of wisdom.

by Anonymousreply 710/13/2013

No, I'm tired of all the white (and black, and Hispanic, and Asian) trash people on reality TV.

by Anonymousreply 810/13/2013

I've always considered my father to be a good for nothing white trash drunkard. Since my parents divorced pretty quickly I intentionally kept very little contact with him. The only problem was that he lived in a nearby town and still wanted to keep in touch with me and my sis. But he lost his driver's license because of a DUI last year so now I see him only once or twice a year.

by Anonymousreply 910/13/2013

Well smell you Princess Grace.

by Anonymousreply 1010/13/2013

Trust me R9, I know where you are coming from. And believe it or not, I wasn't even thinking about my father when I posted my rant.

by Anonymousreply 1110/13/2013

Yes Princess Grace obviously had white trash in her family tree...her parents probably never acknowledged it.

by Anonymousreply 1210/13/2013

White trash recognizes white trash best.

All poor white people are not white trash.

Trash is a very inhumane term.

by Anonymousreply 1310/13/2013

My partners family is like that, and yes.

by Anonymousreply 1510/13/2013

Yes I've been bitched at before because I've used the term white trash...I know, I'm suppose to be politically correct. Maybe it is racist or simply a rude and ridiculous term but it's a colloguialism I'm used to.

by Anonymousreply 1610/13/2013

My family unit consisted of me, my brother, my mother, my mother's parents and my mother's brother. My father split shortly after I was born; my mother was pregnant with my brother when he left. ALL of my immediate family turned out to be white trash except for myself and my grandfather. Alcoholism, no education, unemployment or menial, dead-end jobs, mental illness, racism, teenage pregnancy, child abuse, child molestation, poverty, substandard living conditions (a house with no heating or air conditioning or indoor plumbing), an illegitimate child (my brother produced one) a slew of neglected dogs or cats, inadequate medical was ALL there.

The only one still living is my mother; of all of them she's the one I always found the most unbearable. She's completely uneducated, a racist and an asswipe for men. She's lived in redneck rural areas all her life; when she comes to visit me (I live in a small city) it's like she's from another planet. She'll say things like "do you have to pay to ride the bus?" Being around her makes me feel like my head is going to explode.

by Anonymousreply 1710/13/2013

Sorry, that sounds pretty bad R17. They are all dead but your Mom! All dead?

I see people on the board and they seem to be alone and no family. I feel bad for them but I would also like to tell them, having family does not insure happiness.

by Anonymousreply 1810/13/2013

R18, I've had to divorce all relatives. Not white trash per se but completely lacking in common sense. For example, the "smartest" gave out my cell and address to everyone who asked. Had total strangers banging on my door late at night, causing a problem with my neighbors. Better to break off all contact then expect family to respect my wishes.

by Anonymousreply 1910/13/2013

My sister married a redneck from backwoods Georgia. He works as a security guard or handyman. I went to visit them at their little place there and I swear the car radio switched to the theme from Deliverance when I turned down their street. They were cooking a Low Country Boil and his friends all came over. All drunks. They told nasty jokes about minorities, except me cuz they know I'm gay. Other minorities. One guy pulled out a metal hook he was trying to patent which he claimed was the best tool for pulling a deer's innards out through it's asshole. I wish I could say it was a Stella/Stanley thing where my brother-in-law looks like Marlon Brando, but in reality he looks like Porkie the Pig in Camos.

by Anonymousreply 2010/13/2013

Yes OP. Family rife with alcoholism, drug abuse, physical/emotional abuse, fighting (physical and verbal), laziness, lack of self esteem. Parents were solid blue collar, but both bat-shit crazy. We were well provided for in a middle class way, but home life was horrible because of father's extreme mood swings/violence and mother too weak/co-dependent to do anything.

Spent all of my 20s and most of 30s undoing the damage through hard life lessons and thousands of dollars of therapy. My sister, despite getting an MBA, works evening shift as a customer service rep, and loves to bitch about her shift and her next Union meeting, when she isn't busy doing jujitsu or hunting. Mother is killing herself with diabetes. Father has mistress (who works with sister) and has switched from alcohol to pain meds.

I could go on but you get the gist. I have moved away as far as I can, and interact minimally. I rarely go there, and of course they aren't about to get on a plane-unless I pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 2110/13/2013

Thanks for the sad stories, I mean, they kind of make me more sad but I knew I couldn't be alone. I could use some therapy but can't afford it.

by Anonymousreply 2210/13/2013

My brother married into a white trash family and had a son with his wife. After divorcing her, my brother died of lung cancer. His son was 12 at the time raised by the ex wife and her new husband. The nephew was raised in that white trash family and has pretty much become like the rest of them (broke, uneducated, sporadically employed). I live nearly 100 miles away, so I don't get to see him very often and only hear from him when he wants to ask for money.

by Anonymousreply 2310/13/2013

They're emotionally abusive bullies, but I wouldn't call them white trash. Actually, I think I would prefer that to the pretentious, try-hard relatives I got stuck with.

by Anonymousreply 2410/13/2013

OP, get out while you can. Frankly, there's no worse curse in life than being white trash.

by Anonymousreply 2510/13/2013

My BFs family doesn't come to visit any more, thank gawd! They are the epitome of white trash culture, an oxymoron if ever there was one. I can't even go into it because of my blood pressure.

by Anonymousreply 2610/13/2013

"They are all dead but your Mom! All dead?'

Yes, they're all gone. My father (I never knew him), my brother (he was a suicide), my uncle, my grandparents on my mother's side (I never knew my father's parents)...they're all gone. I never knew anyone from my father's side of the family, but I heard they were a white trash bunch, too. The only one of my immediate family who's left is my mother. I only see her once a month, purely out of a sense of duty, but it's excruciating. I won't go into it in detail, but let's just say she is someone who has never been what you would call in touch with reality; she did immense harm to me and my brother but takes absolutely no responsibility for any of it. I find her absolutely unbearable. If she were gone I would feel no loss at all.

I envy people who come from loving, supportive families. In fact, that's the only reason I would envy anybody.

by Anonymousreply 2710/13/2013

I see your white trash heritage R17. and RAISE you with my alcoholic uncle who shot his Native American wife in the head after catching her in bed with another man who managed to escape by crashing through the window of their single wide. He did 7 years for manslaughter and later died in a fire after falling asleep with a lit cigarette. My cousin who did time for meth distribution out of his double wide(progress!) who was married to a woman who is the prime suspect in a well-publicized child disappearance case. My other cousin who is currently serving 18 mos. for ANOTHER well-publicized sex abuse and theft case involving a 15yo girl. My bi-polar,drug addicted female cousin(daughter of the murdered woman) who was convicted of non-fatally stabbing someone on the Indian Reservation where she was living. Of course, there are the typical alcoholic,drug addicted,broke ass,fornicatin', adulterin',divorced members of the rest of my family who have managed to stay out of jail but I think that's due more to them not getting caught than anything.

I call!

by Anonymousreply 2810/13/2013

Life is a struggle.

by Anonymousreply 2910/13/2013

R27, you would like to come from a loving family? I understand that but my white trash family is loving and some of it pretty charming but I can always see the tragedy coming. Because of poor choices and white trash or sociopathic genes, I can just google and find one bad story after the next, all about my family. I'm tired of it. Sometimes I wonder, is it America? I mean I've known at least 4 people who have been murdered and then there is the attempted murders and the drug arrest and then once I was looking up a relative because I hadn't seen him since we were children and what did I find? A child was murdered. So then yesterday I talk to a relative and it's, by the and so was shot. I'm just wondering, is this all just normal American White Trash life? I think I might as well be living in a war zone or on the south side of Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 3010/14/2013

I'm thinking R28 should win some kind of prize...maybe a double wide?

by Anonymousreply 3110/14/2013

It's the ignorance that's the problem. Not everyone who's poor is trash. What makes the difference, as previous posters have noted, is a lack of gumption and ambition and a stubborn, willful ignorance that sets white trash apart.

That, and have you noticed their sense of entitlement? They have that odd mixture of feeling put down/victimized by the world and therefore the world owes them.

Add the usual Christian overlay to that, and we're talking about a lot of my extended family.

by Anonymousreply 3210/14/2013

I proudly come from a long line of serious white trash kinfolks. I barely escaped that fate too except I did manage to escape to California from Texas. Every letter of email I receive from the Texas clan usually involves a divorce or a burnt trailer.

by Anonymousreply 3310/14/2013

Hahaha! R33. I guess I know what you mean.

I grew up dirt poor but never thought of myself as white trash but now I'm wondering if I have succumbed to the inevitable?

by Anonymousreply 3410/14/2013

There is no such thing as white trash except in the minds of working americans living paycheck to paycheck with more chance of them falling into poverty than climbing any higher on the socio-economic totem pole. With the prospects of poverty in the offing, they see anyone worse off as white trash.

by Anonymousreply 3510/14/2013

See if I qualify: Most of my cousins' children seem to have out -of-wedlock kids galore. I am not sure if any of them are married. Uncle (deceased) was a habitual drunk in and out of small town jails. Another Uncle raped his sister when they were growing up. Except for me and another Uncle, I don't think there is anyone else that has graduated from college. At holidays, another uncle brinks out the "good" moonshine for a nip. Of course the whole family are a bunch of religious right wingers who post crap on Facebook daily. They all love hunting and can't wait to post pics of them and dead animals they killed.

Growing up I used to secretly hope I was adopted.

by Anonymousreply 3610/14/2013

NO r36, your family reflects the current morals of working class America.

by Anonymousreply 3710/14/2013

Why the fuck did America get so religious? When I was a kid, few actually talked about religion, I hoped it was going away. Now it's stronger then ever and filled with gun loving hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 3810/14/2013

When I look at Paris Hilton I see white trash and she has tons of money...look at the Lohans. I guess they think they are wealthy but obvious white trash.

I guess maybe I'm just using "white trash" as a catch-all term but it's what I grew up hearing so I guess I latched onto it.

by Anonymousreply 3910/14/2013

{R38]I have thought about that too. I grew up in Texas and cannot recall religion being so prevalent in people's lives. I go back now and the place is all about Mr Jesus. It is disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 4010/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 4110/15/2013

Oh honey, I come from raw white trash, myself. White trash are my pet peev and I have nightmares about them. I guess I come off very hard and bitchy now at times and it's the reason. I'm like Catherine Zeta-Jones in traffic now, born wrong side of tracks, so i'll bring a doll made of cocaine down to mexico now, i don't give a fuck. i'm not goin back. know what i mean?

by Anonymousreply 4210/15/2013

Good luck to you but it sounds to me like you're the one who gets arrested and then I'd be bitching about it.

by Anonymousreply 4310/15/2013

God bless those folks here which come from white trash backgrounds and have semi-survived the experience!

I come from one myself. What is the difference between working class and white trash? Nastiness, pure and simple. Hatred against any minority and they don't make any bones about it either. I have sat down with my white trash relatives and hear them trash out any other racial and religious group, having to listen to their cr@p is not pretty by any means. They can be very ungenerous towards others and be mean spirited in general.

I think the worst thing is not getting the support others had while growing up. I, too, envy the people who had loving and supportive parents, a world of opportunities could have opened up for me but didn't.

I do not appreciate all the white trash shows on tv, that culture should not be put on a pedestal. What is it but the glorification of teenage pregnancy, poor health care, filth, untreated mental illness and substance abuse. It's like celebrating a tremendous amount of wasted human potential.

I wish you all luck in leaving your white trash families behind, it is not simple to do.

by Anonymousreply 4410/15/2013

The whole nation saw my white trash family in a televised line-up in 2008. I was lucky enough to be unborn at that moment.

by Anonymousreply 4510/15/2013

I don't know R44, do you ever think young girls look at those pregnant teens and ever say..."I don't want to be like that!"

I hope they do but it seems to me that now not only foolish teens get pregnant but older women with no visible means of support insist on getting pregnant as well. And to me that's the beginning of white trash..."I've got problems already, maybe I should just get pregnant!"

by Anonymousreply 4610/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!