Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What are my chances of making it into medical school? (serious answers please)

I'm in my last year at university and my average is about 85%. But unfortunately, I failed 3 courses in my first university and had to retake those courses (my gpa of 85% did not include those failed courses).

I'm Canadian and I'm open to going to medical school to United States if I get in. For those of you who went through the process or know about the process, do you think I could make the cut (I know it's harder for people outside of the country to get into medical school in the United States).

by Anonymousreply 3410/13/2013

OP, I'm not trying to be obnoxious but I don't think your chances are great.

I just spent last year finishing my MBA with two students who headed to med school this past September. They completed a One Year MBA as a part of their "Gap Year" before Med School. They were two of the most startlingly bright people I'd ever met. Not wise, mind you, but off the charts smart. Neither of them had ever received a grade below an A- in anything and they were both Biochemistry undergrad majors.

They are both attending med school in the Dominican because they couldn't get into a US program.

So, if these two were any indication - good luck. Do some major voluteer work to make yourself stand out.

by Anonymousreply 110/13/2013

I have a friend who had the highest MCAT scores at Harvard College. He applied to 26 medical schools and got into none. Why? Well, they don't say. But he handed his thesis in very late and failed intensive Chinese his sophomore year when he took it as a 5th course.

Medical schools value discipline and reliability.

He is now a tenured professor of Biochemistry at a different Ivy league school.

by Anonymousreply 210/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 310/13/2013

Try osteopathic schools. The ones in the US have all the hospital rights of an MD. The even have surgical Osteopaths.

by Anonymousreply 410/13/2013

You have failed three classes on your transcript, started over and your improved GPA not counting the failed courses is a B- average and you are asking about medical school?

Do you have any idea of how absurdly competitive medical school admissions are? And being a successful physician takes intelligence, the kind that can look at information and make a logical conclusion which you seem to not be able to do.

You should look into other career options. If you are actually passionate about working in medicine (which is the only reason anyone should want to become a physician, it is a long arduous process) there are other careers.

by Anonymousreply 510/13/2013

Listen to R4. A resident DLer is attending a diploma mill in his Quixotic quest to become a doctor. Anything is possible, OP.

by Anonymousreply 610/13/2013

There are a ton of medical schools. I know quite a few people who don't have the background that a few posters described who are now doctors. There is also osteopath and pharmacy.

by Anonymousreply 710/13/2013

R5, I don't know how the grading system works in the U.S. but a 85% average is an A average in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 810/13/2013

I am not familiar with the Canadian grading system, apologies.

[quote]There are a ton of medical schools

There are 141 accredited American medical schools that receive an average of >4000 applicants for a entering class of 100-200.

There are also osteopathic schools as mentioned which are less competitive. In addition there are Caribbean medical schools. Those are the other two ways to become a physician when you cannot get into medical school.

Anyway, this is rather pointless without knowing more about you. Your MCAT score matters, how much science and clinical experience you have matters, your letters of recommendation matters.

But having a low GPA can weed you out. It will help as it seems to be the case that you struggled early on but show a clear upward trend and could handle upper level science classes.

by Anonymousreply 910/13/2013

Your only hope to get in now is as a cadaver. Even then they may not take you if you are too fat.

by Anonymousreply 1010/13/2013

I'm going to guess OP's chances are slim to none.

You're Canadian GPA of 85% translates into 3.67 in the states.

If you have something else going for you - great MCATs, experience, coursework, quality of your undergrad program - you might get in.

But the fact you're looking for answers to this question on a gay gossip website - tells me you probably don't have what it takes to get in.

by Anonymousreply 1110/13/2013

[quote]There are also osteopathic schools as mentioned which are less competitive.

If he wants to become a physician, then that's all that really matters.

by Anonymousreply 1210/13/2013

Go to the Caribbean and get a M.D. there, OP. Many Americans and Canadians do, actually.

by Anonymousreply 1310/13/2013

One of my college roommates couldn't get into veterinary school so he ended up going to medical school instead (at the same university!) What does THAT tell you about the medical system?

by Anonymousreply 1410/13/2013

OP, you could always become a Physician's Assistant (PA).

by Anonymousreply 1510/13/2013

I don't think it looks good. Getting into ANY certified medical school in the US is very difficult.

Study hard for the MCATs but look at other options. It's really unfortunate how difficult they make it.

And yet, it seems like half of all doctors in the US are foreign born and did NOT go to a US medical school.

by Anonymousreply 1610/13/2013

You should become an actor. Eventually, you'll end up playing a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 1710/13/2013

So, we're going to ignore the shade at R6?

by Anonymousreply 1810/13/2013

I worked at a major medical school (not in admissions) for several years OP. It's gotten very competitive down here in the US. Is there a reason you don't want to go to a Canadian med school? McGill has a top program.

If you're really set on getting into an American school and can defer, do volunteer work as suggested here. One way is working in academic clinical research, they are always hiring young CRAs right out of college to do trial work. You'll get experience and valuable MD references out of it.

by Anonymousreply 1910/13/2013

[quote]And yet, it seems like half of all doctors in the US are foreign born and did NOT go to a US medical school.

That's because there aren't enough US grads being supplied for the growing market/population here, especially for primary care and some of the specialties. US med schools haven't been able to increase enrollments or their student base fast enough to keep up.

All foreign MDs are required to complete a residency here in the US though, before being licensed. That's what really counts these days - residency and fellowship completion. So if the OP is serious about eventually practicing in the US he/she should go to med school and do well, making sure they land in a good-to-top residency program here.

by Anonymousreply 2010/13/2013

R20 - I thought the number of residencies has been frozen since 1997, which is part of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 2110/13/2013

"President Barack Obama’s proposed budget would cut $11 billion from Graduate Medical Education (GME) funding in the next 10 years. ... Even with new medical schools and increasing class sizes in existing schools, the number of practicing physicians is limited by funding for GME, or residency programs. In fact, the number of residency slots funded by Medicare has been capped since the 1997 Balanced Budget Act. President Obama’s proposed cuts will only exacerbate the physician shortage, resulting in fewer doctors."

by Anonymousreply 2210/13/2013

R17 funny I'm in medical school and I'm about to graduate but I'll do an MA on Acting afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 2310/13/2013

OP, if you are a select minority, your chances are 100%

by Anonymousreply 2410/13/2013

r21 that only applies to Medicare funding for residency programs. Med schools in the US can (and have) modestly increased residency enrollments, but they have to fund the cost of the extra slots themselves. And it hasn't met the increased demand for MDs.

The school I was at certainly enlarged several of their specialty residency programs, and that was post-1997. I think its primary care resident output though that has suffered. Not enough $$ involved.

by Anonymousreply 2510/13/2013

If you are white or of Latin American descent, low chances.

If you are Asian, you won't get in with those grades.

If you are black, your chances are 100% plus they will give you as much tutoring as you want for free.

by Anonymousreply 2610/13/2013

No thread is immune from race baiting it seems.

by Anonymousreply 2710/13/2013

Is there much affirmative action for med school, R26 R27? Serious question. Not baiting from either direction.

by Anonymousreply 2810/13/2013

r26 Affirmative Action in medical schools is not big at all. Stop lying and race baiting.

by Anonymousreply 2910/13/2013

r27 Exactly

by Anonymousreply 3010/13/2013

EAsier than vet school.

by Anonymousreply 3110/13/2013

Not a chance

by Anonymousreply 3210/13/2013

OP, have you considered MacGill university, it's a highly reputable program.

Like what others have mentioned, if you can't get into medical school, consider a Master's Degree Physicians Assistant. Those jobs can earn anywhere between $80K to $110K. I know at Eastern Michigan University, they will add a PA program in the Fall 2014. They received 400 applications for 50 slots. This shows you a great demand to go the PA route if medical school is hard to get into.

Also, I used to work at Univ of Michigan Health System and for their residency programs, they really turned their noses up at North Americans who don't go to medical school in North America. not to say that they did not accept foreign medical graduates, but if you are American or Canadian and studied in the Bahamas, it raises an eye brow that you weren't smart enough to get into even the most mediocre North American program.

Yes, it sucks. Good luck though.

by Anonymousreply 3310/13/2013

I'll bite, but don't misunderstand me. There is affirmative action at US med schools, some more than others depending on the type of school, its mission and those who are running things.

The mid-size med school affilated with the state university where I lived, for example, had an explicit mission to "educate MDs for service to the state". This included educating MDs who were from diverse backgrounds/populations (my medical school had a similar mission statement). Because african-americans, specifically, have been so traditionally under-represented among the medical professions, our institution (and I'm sure others) made a special effort to recruit and enroll them.

Once enrolled there were a few special programs set up to insure they succeeded - tutoring, mentoring etc. I never saw a problem with it, neither did the others who worked there.

by Anonymousreply 3410/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.