Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Newbery Medal books

Which ones did you enjoy as a kid? Were they assigned reading?

I liked novels by Sharon Creech (Walk Two Moons) and Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis. Also enjoyed books by Richard Peck.

by Anonymousreply 3110/14/2013

No readers on the DL?

by Anonymousreply 110/12/2013

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

by Anonymousreply 210/12/2013

I remember liking The Cricket in Times Square, The Black Cauldron, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Funkweiler, The Westing Game, & everything by Beverly Cleary and Laura Ingalls Wilder.

by Anonymousreply 310/12/2013

Up a Road Slowly by Irene Hunt

by Anonymousreply 410/12/2013

A Wrinkle in Time

by Anonymousreply 510/12/2013

"It's Like This, Cat""

I loved that book.

And, of course, "Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler"

by Anonymousreply 610/12/2013

Bridge to Terabithia and Dear Mr. Henshaw

by Anonymousreply 710/12/2013

The Westing Game.

by Anonymousreply 810/13/2013

Was Johnny Tremaine a Newbery Medal book? I remember liking that one a lot.

by Anonymousreply 910/13/2013

The movie Bridge to Terabithia was very good and made me sob like a baby in the theater.

by Anonymousreply 1010/13/2013

King Of The Wind.

by Anonymousreply 1110/13/2013

Mixed Up Files was one of the great books of my childhood. Living in suburbia, I was amazed by the kids' use of public transportation to get to the city. I never attempted to run away because all I had was a bike.

by Anonymousreply 1210/13/2013

The Witch of Blackbird Pond, also.

Still remember that she dove in the ocean to save someone and the others thought she must be a witch because she didn't drown.

I read a Wrinkle in Time a few years ago because I'd never read it as a kid and well, really did not like it.

by Anonymousreply 1310/13/2013

All the E.L. Konigsberg books.

"Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH."

We had to read "Johnny Tremain" in two different classes. I loathed it.

by Anonymousreply 1410/13/2013

I still go back & reread "The Dark is Rising" by Susan Cooper - such great atmosphere.

The Egypt Game was good - and surprisingly scary in that the kids are being watched by a serial killer.

by Anonymousreply 1510/13/2013

Does anyone else remember this film version of "From the Mixed-Up Files..." with Ingrid Bergman as Mrs. Funkweiler? I must have seen it at school.

by Anonymousreply 1610/13/2013

Another vote for A Wrinkle in Time". I met Madeleine L'Engle several times; unlike most meetings with writers you've enjoyed, it was not a disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 1710/13/2013

I grew up in a rural area, so any books about city children were fascinating and exotic.

by Anonymousreply 1810/13/2013

[quote]Ingrid Bergman as Mrs. Funkweiler

Let us not create another cak or graxy out of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.

That movie was a bit of a disappointment. It didn't capture the elegant tone and rich atmosphere of the book as well as it might have. Somewhere along the line they restored the book's title to the film, which was originally released under the bland name of THE HIDEAWAYS.

Madeleine Kahn has a funny small role in the film as a teacher leading a group of school kids through the museum.

by Anonymousreply 1910/13/2013

I too met L'Engle once at a writers conference in California. She was very nice, very grand, exactly what I would have expected of a lady who wrote about difficult topics. I worked for one of the 18 publishers who had originally turned A Wrinkle in Time down. She was amused by that, but by then she could afford to be. A great lady!

by Anonymousreply 2010/13/2013

One of the problems of the film was Ingrid Bergman. It was Noel Coward, I believe, who said of Bergman: "She could speak five languages and act in none of them."

by Anonymousreply 2110/13/2013

As a child, I adored My Side of the Mountain. I read it again recently and it held up very well against my fond memories. Also a big big fan of The Dark is Rising. I like all the books in that series but TDIR is superb, one of the best books I've read, ever. So powerful and creepy and dangerous and thrilling. Herne The Hunter gives me the chills every time. I try to read it every December 21, as a Happy Birthday to Will Stanton.

I know, I know: Mary!

by Anonymousreply 2210/13/2013

I loved Bud, not Buddy! I remember buying it at the Scholastic Book Fair. Maniac Magee and Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry were really good too. I'm not sure if these were Newbery Medal books, but I remember secretly checking out all of those Little House on the Prairie books from the library in elementary school. I ended up reading the entire series including the ones focused on her daughter, Rose. I remember being sad when she didn't end up marrying her childhood friend, Paul (I think).

by Anonymousreply 2310/13/2013

This thread made me look up the Newbery winners, and I was surprised (at first) that Louise Fitzhugh never won one -- not even for "Harriet the Spy." Her style and subject matter was probably more respected than loved back then.

by Anonymousreply 2410/13/2013

For r22. I LOVED the movie when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 2510/13/2013

Did The Door in the Wall win a Newbery? I remember liking that a lot.

by Anonymousreply 2610/13/2013

Thank you R25!

by Anonymousreply 2710/13/2013

R20, I'm impressed (and jealous.)

by Anonymousreply 2810/13/2013

Here's the link to the list of winners from 1922 to the present.

My favorites would be:

The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle (1922). I loved all the Doctor Dolittle books.

The Witch of Blackbird Pond (1959).

A Wrinkle in Time (1963).

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (1968).

When I was 12 -- many, many decades ago -- our town librarian asked me to go on a local radio program to discuss From the Mixed-Up Files.

by Anonymousreply 2910/13/2013

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler is the best. I remember being disturbed by A Wrinkle in Time, so it must be at least decent.

I had no idea that The Giver was published so recently (and by "so recently" I mean "19 years ago") - that was a huge hit when I was in fifth grade. I was just a little too old to pick up Holes at the Scholastic Book Fair when it came out, but I really loved all the Wayside School books.

by Anonymousreply 3010/14/2013

"Island of the Blue Dolphins"

The book was a big deal in Southern California because it took place on San Nicholas island just off the coast.

Also made into a movie.

Now they think they found the girl's cave.

by Anonymousreply 3110/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!