Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are There Any Gay Royals?

That includes lesbians too. I'm curious. I happened upon a website called The Royal Forums, and they had a long thread about dead gay royals, but anyone who wanted to bring up the subject of living gay royals, most of those threads were deleted.

I know that there was talk about Andrea Casiraghi being bisexual, but he's not technically a royal, correct?

Does anyone know anything? I'm curious.

by Anonymousreply 11208/11/2015

um, Prince Andrew

by Anonymousreply 110/12/2013

Supposedly, Prince Charles was caught having sex with a man.

by Anonymousreply 410/12/2013

Did you mean Edward, R1? Andrew is pretty clearly hetero.

by Anonymousreply 510/12/2013

Wasn't that Moroccan king (married now) supposed to have lived as gay when he worked/studied overseas?

2) Wasn't one of the Danish royal family supposed to be gay?

by Anonymousreply 610/12/2013

Lord Mountbatten, who was blown up by the IRA while on his yacht.

by Anonymousreply 710/12/2013

Andrea Casiraghi is not bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 810/12/2013

Manvendra Singh Gohil

by Anonymousreply 1010/12/2013

Edward's gay. Almost all the Arabic Kings & princes are gay. There's been plenty in the past. I'm not sure about the current bunch except Edward.

by Anonymousreply 1110/12/2013

Yes there have been gay and bisexual royals.

Among them:

Ludwig of Bavaria Edward II of England Richard I of England Alexander the Great Christina of Sweden Philip II of France

And a great many Roman emperors.

by Anonymousreply 1210/12/2013

I don't know if it's just my ex and his campy friends, but they had me convinced that Edward is more commonly known as "Mavis" back in Blighty?

by Anonymousreply 1410/12/2013

Princess Sirindhorn of Thailand is a lesbian. A BIG one.

by Anonymousreply 1510/12/2013

James I of England (aka James VI of Scotland)

by Anonymousreply 1710/12/2013

There are at least two gays in every family and more if the family is above average size. The Royal Family is average size, (most of the current generation have one or two children)so between The Queen and Prince George there should be two, possibly three gays. The gay gene shows no preference or mercy to kings, princesses, popes or... footballers, bin men, postmen, airmen, you, me, the gorgeous guy walking his dog on the common. Give him a smile, there's an 11.9% chance you'll get one returned!

by Anonymousreply 1810/12/2013

One of younger men in the House of Savoy (Italy) is rumoured to be bi.

by Anonymousreply 2010/12/2013

U remember when I saw Braveheart, and the King, Edward had that gay son, So I looked it up and there was in fact a gay King and he had a lover and he & his lover were tortured to death. It was ugly. Hateful.

by Anonymousreply 2110/12/2013

George Brett, but only if you're counting bisexuals.

by Anonymousreply 2310/13/2013

Good one r23, people in KC would chuckle over that.

by Anonymousreply 2410/13/2013

R21, yes and they rammed a red hot poker up that king's ass, too. You can Wiki it.

by Anonymousreply 2510/13/2013

Of course we know there are and have always been gay Royals. What I long for is the day when a gay Royal will not be closeted and will bring his male lover to Palace events and official engagements. Now that would be awesome.

by Anonymousreply 2610/13/2013

R23: Prince Carl-Philip has been rumoured to be gay or bisexual since his teens. I know a girl who went to the same posh boarding school as he did and she claims that it was an open secret that he is bi.

I think most Swedes would prefer a male partner rather than the nude model he is living with now.

by Anonymousreply 2710/13/2013

You can call me Queen Bee.

by Anonymousreply 2810/13/2013

[quote]I don't know if it's just my ex and his campy friends, but they had me convinced that Edward is more commonly known as "Mavis" back in Blighty?

I thought it was "Dockyard Doris."

by Anonymousreply 2910/13/2013

Not just King James I & VII, but King James II & VII was gay.

by Anonymousreply 3010/13/2013

I would love to know why Hollywood has not made a movie about King Ludvig 2's life. His life was one big movie, from the insufferable parents who starved him and yanked out his teeth, to the lavish castles, the soaring Wagner opera scores, the midnight naked orgies in the snow with his guards(if you visit the Neuschwanstein castle in Germany you get all details and lastly the mysterious death/suicide with the psychiatrist. You could make such a great screenplay out of that. Why no one has is a mystery. Instead we get stuck with the umpteenth remake of Superman and the Batman franchises.

by Anonymousreply 3110/13/2013

Louis XIV's younger brother was a notorious homo. Wore make-up and wigs (but then a lot of rich men did), was surprisingly brave in battle and was said to have only consumated his marriage by attaching religious medals to his penis. The popular rumour at the court was that he had been brought up to be effeminate so that he was not a threat to his elder brother.

The nephew of the last Tzar of Russia Grand Duke Dimitri was said to have had a relationship with Prince Yusupov (one of tthe murderers of Rasputin)

by Anonymousreply 3210/14/2013

[quote]a movie about King Ludvig 2's life

by Anonymousreply 3410/20/2013

Ludwig's cute boyfriend, Prince Paul of Thurn and Taxis

by Anonymousreply 3510/20/2013

King Sihamoni of Cambodia is gay. He is 56, never been married and said he will not marry, and is a trained ballet dancer. He lived in Paris for 20 years. It's an open secret.

by Anonymousreply 3610/20/2013

Prince Rainier's father is said to have been homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 3710/20/2013

Johannes, 11th Prince of Thurn and Taxis (1926-1990) was bisexual and often seen in gay discos. For his 60th birthday party, his wife presented him a cake decorated with 60 marzipan penises for candles.

by Anonymousreply 3910/20/2013

Queen Elizabeth's Uncle George, the Duke of Kent, was bisexual. Before his marriage, he is supposed to have enjoyed the company of thin blonde men, but afterwards his tastes expanded to include a black (female) singer. He was arrested for engaging in homosexual activity at least once, but released when his identity was confirmed. The papers may not have reported on his indiscretions, but all of high society knew about them.

The Duke was not discreet when it came to writing to his lovers, and was reportedly blackmailed by a male prostitute over his love letters. Other dirty missives by George to Noel Coward were probably stolen from the playwright’s house.

by Anonymousreply 4010/20/2013

Anne, Queen of Great Britain (ruled from 1702 to 1714). Big time lesbian, especially after the death of her Danish prince husband in 1708. Anne was an alcoholic and none too bright. 17 pregnancies and no surviving children. A sad, pathetic woman whom predatory female aristos took advantage of.

During the later years of her reign, a clique of lesbians actually ran the British Empire.

BTW, neither the US furniture style, nor US architectural style has anything to do with Queen Anne.

by Anonymousreply 4110/20/2013

I like the idea of a queen being the king.

by Anonymousreply 4210/20/2013

The King of Morocco and the King (or, Sultan) of Oman, King of Cambodia.

by Anonymousreply 4310/20/2013

I can't remember his name, but is that one royal that looks like the midget from Fantasy Island gay? He sure does seem like it.

by Anonymousreply 4410/20/2013

Around the early years of the 1900's, Prince George of Greece and Denmark was said to have a lifelong love affair with his uncle Prince Valdemar of Denmark. They would meet annually, and when parting either was inconsolable for weeks, sometimes taking ill to their beds.

by Anonymousreply 4510/20/2013

I'm British. I'm not part of 'society' but as I work in film/television I know various people who are.

The firm word from the insiders is that Andrew is 'the gay one'. He just happens to have a younger brother who appears to be more gay (though isn't) - which is the perfect blind. It also informed his choice of 'career' - in that staying ensconced in a military life essentially absolves him of taking on more public and charitable duties, which in turn, keeps him away under the press radar.

Most people in Britain have forgotten about Andrew, we see him so rarely. This was a deliberate ploy, giving him the opportunity to indulge in his extra-curricula activities without scrutiny.

Privately, the royal family has always been accepting of gay people - most marriages have been arranged so normal rules don't apply - and gay people have always formed a part of the aristocracy and their inner circles. Nothing much has ever been said out loud, it just is quietly 'so'. And being gay has never precluded commoners being 'elevated' with honours - look at all the artists, actors, business folk et al who've been knighted, made lords / ladies etc.

As a side note, contrary to opinion, most British people don't care that much about the royals one way or another. The majority of people I know would be happy to get shot of them - myself included. The only hesitation comes from what would replace them. The monarch's role of head of state is, in practice, only ceremonial, but who'd want a Cameron, Blair or - egads - a Thatcher as president? But even those few monarchists still standing (mostly from older generations) are fed-up of supporting the swathes of hangers-on and minor royals through our taxes and their inappropriate ownership and exploitation of what should be properties and goods owned by the nation as a whole. Vive la (peaceful) revolution.

by Anonymousreply 4610/20/2013

[quote]A sad, pathetic woman whom predatory female aristos took advantage of.

I got a lovely home out of the deal...

by Anonymousreply 4710/20/2013

R41: I read that she was commonly referred to around London as either "Brandy Nan" or "Dram Shop" - both which I thought would make splendid names for race horses!

by Anonymousreply 4810/20/2013

Yes, r31, the Visconti film linked by r34 is glorious, and there was a German film about Ludwig released about 3 years ago as well. That one should be available with subtitles.

And Sihamoni (King of Cambodia) being gay isn't even really secret, IMO; Cambodians just seem to think it's rude to talk about it. I suspect he was chosen as king (in spite of being the last king's youngest, not eldest, surviving son) precisely because he's gay: just a placeholder until the cabals figure out who will really hold power.

by Anonymousreply 4910/20/2013

Sultan of Oman is widely known to be gay, to the point where guidebooks specifically warn NOT to discuss the rumors while in-country. He is older, and has a staff of young manservants. He's on the European royalty circuit (he was hosting the queen of NL when I was last in Muscat).

King of Morocco too, at least in his carefree windsurfing days. Moroccans tend to have a "look the other way" attitude about these sorts of things.

by Anonymousreply 5010/20/2013

Unless they are from the British royal family, nobody really cares.

by Anonymousreply 5110/20/2013

You're not going to marry a prince with that attitude, r51

by Anonymousreply 5210/20/2013

Earrings, caftans...

by Anonymousreply 5410/20/2013

Well, the Andrew-is-gay story does explain why he's so attached to his ginger beard--Fergie--but why then, given her meritorious service to the "royals," has she been treated like shit?

by Anonymousreply 5510/20/2013

I never thought of Andrew as the gay one either. There was a rumor about Sarah coming home and finding him in bed with another sailor but I thought it was stupid, because EVERYONE knew Edward was the gay one. But maybe it makes sense, Andrew and Big Red never remarried even though they are always together and it's because he likes her as his hag. Too bad she signed that gag order, her story is actually worth many many millions. Charles is so busy pushing Andrew out of the limelight, by the time Sarah sang CHarles would have succeeded and no one would even care about Andrew.

by Anonymousreply 5710/20/2013

Viscount Linley, the queen's nephew (and Margaret's son) is a closet case. He's married to a woman and in the last couple of years was involved in a blackmail scandal. Apparently he's really into rent boys. Has been since forever.

Andrew-- yes, Andrew-- has been known to fuck around with guys. There's a reason he didn't care who Fergie fucked, never re-married, etc. And of course, there is Edward who didn't care for serving in the armed forces so much as servicing them and being some kind of theater intern instead.

by Anonymousreply 5810/20/2013

Prince Von Thurn und Taxis of Bavaria. He married a young wild socilite when he was around 60 just to have heirs and she had a ball partying and spending his massive amount of money. She earned the nickname Princess TNT.

by Anonymousreply 5910/20/2013

Edward and Liz: The Kerfuffle

by Anonymousreply 6010/20/2013

Nice recollection, swf.

by Anonymousreply 6110/20/2013

We can't forget about Zsa Zsa's very own Prince Frederick von Anhalt! He is a fixture at the gay Starbucks and gay McDonalds in West Hollywood, staring at the boys.

by Anonymousreply 6210/21/2013

Wait ... the gays have claimed Starbucks and McDonalds??

by Anonymousreply 6310/21/2013

Middle-aged Prince Andrew checking his Grindr account.

by Anonymousreply 6410/21/2013

I wish HRH Prince Haakon of Norway was gay. I want him in me deeply. His wife is a big woman.

by Anonymousreply 6511/14/2013

Interesting article at link

by Anonymousreply 6609/18/2014

[quote]Middle-aged Prince Andrew checking his Grindr account.

Yes, we know all about that.

by Anonymousreply 6709/19/2014

Plenty of rumors that Prince Carl-Philip of Sweden is bi.

by Anonymousreply 6809/19/2014

A dashing young Prince Andrew:

by Anonymousreply 6909/19/2014

Back in the day:

by Anonymousreply 7009/19/2014

by Anonymousreply 7109/19/2014

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 7209/19/2014

Damn, R69, R70, R71. Prince Andrew really was very handsome. He got all the looks in that family. I can see why Sarah, Duchess of York was so taken with him.

by Anonymousreply 7309/19/2014

Albert Victor was allegedly a client at the male brothel at the center of the Cleveland Street scandal in 1888. Prosecutors quickly fell under immense pressure to stop pressing further after the initial prosecutions and the true scope of what was going on will never be known.

by Anonymousreply 7409/19/2014

Excuse me, 1889. AV was the eldest son of Edward VII and in line for the throne. He allegedly did of influenza in 1892 but there have always been rumors he either died of syphillis or was poisoned because he was so unfit to be king. His fiancee was Princess Mary of Teck and after a proper period of mourning promptly became engaged to his brother, who became George V. She was quite formidable.

by Anonymousreply 7509/19/2014

R72, Prince Eddy was a shallow, sweet, dull, lazy, uninterested young man who showed no real enthusiasm, passion or zeal for anything in life. He was liked in the family for being so easy, but he also was seen with concern as obviously not being up to serving as king, after his father Edward's reign after Victoria. The concern was deferred because that seemed a long way off.

He betrothed in an arranged marriage with Princess Mary of Teck, who ended up marrying Eddy's brother, George, after his death.

Now, the real point of this post. He is not seen contemporary historians to have probably been gay. He is seen as to have possibly been gay. There's a difference. Nothing direct connected him to the Cleveland Street brothel scandal, and he had been reputed to have engaged in heterosexual sex prior to his death. That he was not "manly" ought not to trigger assumptions in our day - a near-Asberger's, detached and lackadaisical person shouldn't be someone to trigger our gay-dar in a tediously familiar biased way.

Especially since the gay/bi monarchs of the country, less Richard II, tended to be warriors who loved being in the field.

by Anonymousreply 7609/19/2014

And just to get it out of the way, claims that surfaced in the 1970s and '80s that Prince Eddy was Jack the Ripper are ludicrous and have always been treated as a joke by students of the murders. As heir to the throne, his travels are completely documented by both contemporary court circulars and the press and during most, if not all, of the murders he is proven to have been hundreds of miles from London.

by Anonymousreply 7709/19/2014

the Queen of Latifeh is a big old dyke.

by Anonymousreply 7809/19/2014

R72, According to the late British novelist and composer Anthony Burgess, Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale was 'Jack the Ripper' Burgess says that when authorities became aware he was the felon, he was lured to Sweden where he was murdered by the Queens equerry, and interred with little ceremony in that country, that his body was exhumed at a later date and reburied in England.

by Anonymousreply 7909/19/2014

Prince Albert Victor = Prince Eddy.

He was called Eddy by his family.

by Anonymousreply 8009/19/2014

I wouldn't be surprised if Prince Albert II of Monaco were gay. He waited awfully long to get married, though his bride's wedding dress and the wedding itself were much more elegant than William and Kate's. You can see the wedding on YouTube. His sister, Princess Stephanie, looks a bit dykey.

by Anonymousreply 8109/19/2014

Albert Victor died at Sandringham in the presence of his family and other members of the court, R79. There have always been rumors about the true nature of his illness but when and where he died is beyond serious question.

by Anonymousreply 8209/19/2014

Kate's veil looked like a limp dish rag perched on her head and the big potted trees in Westminster Abbey were just plain silly.

by Anonymousreply 8309/19/2014

by Anonymousreply 8409/19/2014

by Anonymousreply 8509/20/2014

And R72, when challenged by someone who actually has knowledge of the field, after spouting

[quote]is viewed by contemporary historians to have probably been gay

responds with

[quote]Most people agree that Albert Victor was gay.

Presumably because she (1) has quizzed "most people" on the subject and (2) seems to believe that "most people" have a clue of who Eddy was.

Tsk. Let it go. Maybe he was gay. But you don't know it, your highnass.

by Anonymousreply 8609/20/2014

Albert Victor was in love with Princess Helene d' Orleans, daughter of the Count of Paris, the then-Pretender to the French throne. He would have gladly married her except he would have lost his succession rights for marrying a Roman Catholic, and that her father and The Pope refused to allow her to convert or marry a non-Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 8709/20/2014

by Anonymousreply 8809/20/2014

I thought Prince Albert Victor ("Eddy") was a Jack-the-Ripper suspect?

by Anonymousreply 8909/20/2014

Prince Edward straight? Maine when? What about his extreme love of musical theatre plus his affair with Michael Ball? Everyone know he only got married because his mother insisted on it to quell the gay rumours.

by Anonymousreply 9009/20/2014

[quote]I thought Prince Albert Victor ("Eddy") was a Jack-the-Ripper suspect?

He wasn't even in England when some of the murders happened.

by Anonymousreply 9109/20/2014

[R72]The Ripper has been identified with DNA.

by Anonymousreply 9209/21/2014

Wow, Prince Andrew was really handsome, once upon a time!

by Anonymousreply 9309/22/2014

Do any straight princes have openly gay best friends? Fred of denmark is straight but is kind to the gays.

by Anonymousreply 9404/13/2015

Not royalty but aristocracy:

On the day before her death, the holder of Spain's oldest dukedom married her secretary (female) therefore leaving her as the Dowager Duchess of Medina Sidonia. Very progressive, especially for such an otherwise stodgy and (no longer) conservative society. Her son, the current duke, described his mother as a radical lesbian.

Technically, in Spain you could legally have His Catholic Majesty the King and his husband, the King. And then we could all watch the Vatican's heads explode.

by Anonymousreply 9504/13/2015

Prince Dimitry of Yugoslavia, who lives in NYC, is gay and very active on the social circuit. He is descended from Yugoslavian, Greek, Danish, Russian, and German royalty on his father's side, and French, Belgian, Montenegran, German, Portuguese, and Italian royalty on his mother's side.

by Anonymousreply 9604/13/2015

No, R13 I don't think that is accurate. I believe he was painfully shy, due to his stutter. He was madly in love with his wife, who refused his advances

His brother Edward, though, was probably gay. He allegedly was wild for Wallace Simpson because she was the only woman with whom he could sustain an erection.

Prince George, the Duke of Kent (Elizabeth II's uncle) was gay, and had a long term affair with Noel Coward. He died in a plane crash in Scotland during WWII.

by Anonymousreply 9704/13/2015

Correction - bi, rather than gay.

by Anonymousreply 9804/13/2015

by Anonymousreply 9904/13/2015

I know that Paz de la huerta is a Duke's daughter but what spanish Duke are free to marry me?

by Anonymousreply 10004/13/2015

Duchess Consort of Desperado much?

by Anonymousreply 10104/13/2015

The rumors about Prince Andrew being bi are pervasive enough that there's a character based on him on the soap The Royals.

by Anonymousreply 10204/13/2015

Prince Nicholas of Romania has been dethroned by grandpa for reasons unknown. He is fit.

by Anonymousreply 10308/11/2015

by Anonymousreply 10408/11/2015

bisexuality is very common in the upper classes.

Prince Andrew - strongly rumoured to be bi. Prince Edward - gay rumours but I personally believe he's actually straight Prince George, Duke of Kent (The Queen's Uncle) was most definitely bi and had an affair with Noel Coward. King Edward II - definitely gay

by Anonymousreply 10508/11/2015

Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence, know homosexualist and once suspected of being Jack the Ripper.

by Anonymousreply 10608/11/2015

King Edward VII son (Victoria's grandson), he was rather dumb, lazy, not unattractive, and died of influenza at 28.

King George and Tsar Nicholas were gook looking and Nicolas pinged a little but I think he was just an effete man for the times. By all accounts he was devoted to the Empress and his daughters.

by Anonymousreply 10708/11/2015

Unfortunately, Disney is not making a movie about gay Princes, so we just have imaginary stills.

by Anonymousreply 10808/11/2015

we knew how to live, R31

by Anonymousreply 10908/11/2015

oops wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 11008/11/2015

I read that Eddy actively pursued Princess Alix (future empress Alexandra of Russia) and wanted to marry her. Even Queen Victoria, her grandmother, supported the idea.

by Anonymousreply 11108/11/2015

Anderson Vanderbilt Cooper cousin of the Duchess of Marlborough Lights

by Anonymousreply 11208/11/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!