Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does your cat enjoy being petted?

Just wondering. I was watching CP24 the other day, and there was a news bit where the reporter said they did a investigation and found that cats don't enjoy being touched and whenever they were touched, their blood pressure went up and the more they were petted, the more likely they were to get hypertension.

by Anonymousreply 8110/15/2013

My cat pets me, I don't pet her.

by Anonymousreply 110/12/2013

Please. My cat purrs so loudly and she closes her eyes in ecstasy when I pet her. She LOVES being touched.

by Anonymousreply 210/12/2013

It depends on the cat. Most cats I've known liked to be petted. My neighbor's pussy won't stand still and walks away when I touch her.

by Anonymousreply 310/12/2013

I often announce at my office when I leave for the day that I am headed home to pet my pussy.

by Anonymousreply 410/12/2013

My snowshoe cat loves being petted and my orange tabby only enjoys it for about a minute. I'm careful not to pet the orange tabby too long because she'll try to bite me once she's over it and wants me to put her down.

by Anonymousreply 510/12/2013

Some cats get (not in a sexual way) overstimulated, R5. They'll enjoy the attention for a bit, but then the sensations overwhelm them and they lash out.

by Anonymousreply 610/12/2013

Yes. They love being brushed too.

by Anonymousreply 710/12/2013

R5 My snowshoe loves being petted too. Maybe it's a characteristic of the breed? She cannot get enough.

by Anonymousreply 810/12/2013

r8 - is your snowshoe obsessed with water? Mine loves watching me pour water in the water bowl.

by Anonymousreply 910/12/2013

Pet peeve:

Cat food commercials that show people petting the cat WHILE HE'S EATING.

Do not do that!

by Anonymousreply 1110/12/2013

Cats that were petted by humans as kittens enjoy it as adults. Those who were not never like it.

by Anonymousreply 1210/12/2013

My pussy detests human contact. Whenever my late husband endeavored to stroke her, she bristled and made the most revolting noise.

by Anonymousreply 1310/12/2013

R5 -- My snowshoe isn't obsessed with water but she's more interested in it than my other cat. However, one weird thing is that when I take a piss, she likes to come in and watch.

by Anonymousreply 1410/12/2013

That's odd, OP. I've read (can't remember where) that when people pet cats, both get the benefit of reduced blood pressure.

by Anonymousreply 1510/12/2013

Growing up, my cat didn't like being touched by anyone but my mother. When I had cats of my own, each liked being petted by me. My second cat loved it in particular when I would pick her up like a baby and swing her in my arms, but only for a minute or so.

by Anonymousreply 1610/12/2013

"Dudes" are such pussies, R10. You just proved it.

by Anonymousreply 1710/12/2013

Thanks for the bellylaff, Mrs. Slocombe!

by Anonymousreply 1810/12/2013

My boy cat loves being petted and is really insistent about it. He purrs heartily whenever I pet him.

The girl cat's a bit different--and weird. She immediately starts purring very loudly when I pet her, but after a short time, maybe a minute, she'll get up and walk away. But she likes to be near me: She'll sleep right next to me.

It all works out because if both cats were as needy as the boy I'd lose my mind.

by Anonymousreply 1910/12/2013

The female cats I've known well seemed all to have various reservations about being petted: they liked it only in certain situations, or a very particular kind of petting (most actually preferred brisk scratching or a fairly firm "beating" on the back a few inches forward from the base of the tail.) Some seemed not to much like it at all, but only tolerate it in certain situations.

The male cats I've known were the real whores for petting. With very rare exception they liked it, and liked it a lot, without being at all discriminating about the how or where.

by Anonymousreply 2010/12/2013

Petting is just randomly petting. My cat prefers a cat massage.

by Anonymousreply 2110/12/2013

I have a male cat that's 5 years old now and he loves being petted. We have a routine down pat. Every morning when I get up he jumps up on the couch and gets his loving from me. He purrs the loudest when I stroke the sides of his face and also his throat. Sometimes I think he'd stay there all day if he could.

by Anonymousreply 2210/12/2013

I have a droolie. They are somewhat rare.

She's 13 with smoky short-hair, and a real cutie.

Drools a little when I pet and massage her because she loves it so.

by Anonymousreply 2310/12/2013

I've heard about cats that drool, r23. Someone asked a vet in a magazine if the drooling was normal. The vet said it's rare but it's normal and nothing to worry about. It just means your cat is overly excited to see you/be loved by you. Mine doesn't do it but he does purr very loudly.

by Anonymousreply 2410/12/2013

One of my cats drools a little too, when he's reached ecstasy level 11.

My other cat sits on the footrest in front of me when I'm watching TV and touches me with one soft paw until I pet or brush her. Touch - touch - touch. It's so cute and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 2510/12/2013

Esto gato no es mio

by Anonymousreply 2610/12/2013

They don't like having their stomachs rubbed or touched. They will latch onto an arm and kick and scratch if you do so. And if you scratch their backs close to the tail they go spastic. Other than that, most cats love to be rubbed on their heads, scratched under the chin and have their backs stroked and will make it known that they want some affection. Of course, abused animals will shy away from most physical contact.

by Anonymousreply 2710/12/2013

It's not rare for cats to drool when you pet them. I've known several that did. Endearing, but messy.

by Anonymousreply 2810/12/2013

That "investigation" is bullshit....and why even HAVE an investigation into that subject?

Every cat I've had has DEMANDED petting and attentionn, in fact the first thing my cat does when she comes in is jump on my lap and roll over on her back to get her tummy rubbed while purring in ecstasy.

However, I think cats CAN be overstimulated and when subjected to unwanted attention or contact they can feel threatened so one should always let the cat come to them!

I know...high maintenance but I love their independent nature.

This study probably doesn't understand or appreciate that the understanding between humans and cats is that almost EVERYTHING is on the cat's terms.

by Anonymousreply 2910/13/2013

I've had two cats that liked having their bellies rubbed, R27. They would even roll onto their backs to give me easier access.

by Anonymousreply 3010/13/2013

R29 has fur babies.

by Anonymousreply 3110/13/2013

My kittycat say "purr."

by Anonymousreply 3210/13/2013

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

by Anonymousreply 3310/13/2013

Two of my cats will actually take their paws and grab my hand and place it on top of their heads to be petted.

by Anonymousreply 3410/13/2013

I had a cat who liked to have his butt smacked. He would get a hard-on even though he was neutered. I have two cats now who "force" me to pet them with head-butts. Cats are very affectionate but as the previous poster stated, it has to be on their terms.

by Anonymousreply 3510/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 3610/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 3710/13/2013

I love my pussy.

by Anonymousreply 3810/13/2013

bullshit. my 10yo female siamese mix demands full on, luxurious embraces, full body massage style petting, sleeping arm in arm etc

by Anonymousreply 3910/13/2013

my cat wants her belly stroked too. she wants it all. of course to be sensitive of her titties

by Anonymousreply 4010/13/2013

My two love top of the head and under the chin action, including deep scratching in the chest area. They stretch their heads and twist and turn to get the full treatment with eyes closed and purring like crazy.

One loves to roll on his back and get a deep massaging of his stomach. The other one lets me know, with blood, that I should not confuse her with him.

by Anonymousreply 4110/13/2013

At night when I'm in the bed on my back, my cat comes up between my chest and bicept in the space there, puts her two front paws on my bicepts and then puts her head down on her paws. My hand reaches around and cups her ass and keeps it warm. We are both asleep in minutes.

Isn't that cute? Don't you wish you had my cat?

by Anonymousreply 4210/13/2013

That's like saying man don't enjoy blow jobs. Most do, but they usually have certain preferences about technique and circumstances, e.g. when they're in a hurry to get to an important job interview they generally don't want to stop and get a blow job from a dirty smelly obese homeless woman with visible lice.

by Anonymousreply 4310/13/2013

R42. "Don't you wish you had my cat?"

From your description I wish I WERE your cat.

by Anonymousreply 4410/13/2013

Cats have several different kinds of hair that are incredibly sensitive. It's how they are able to negotiate spaces and walk around things like wine glasses in a cabinet without breaking them. It functions as a space sensing barrier or radar. The sensation of being touched when they don't want to would, I imagine, be highly uncomfortable. The whiskers are incredibly sensitive. It's why they'll move them away when you pet their face. They also have "whiskers" throughout their fur. Tens of thousands of them.

I have one cat who likes being petted, but another who will sit on my lap and shiver any time I touch her. I let her come to me now. It's amazing to me how ignorant and stupid people are about their pets. They make it very clear what they can and can't tolerate.

by Anonymousreply 4510/13/2013

The belly is the one part of a cat's body that they will not mutually groom - because it's too vulnerable to attack. So the no-belly rub thing is partly true, but not for all cats.

Mine all love it, but I've had them since kittens. Mother cats can groom there, so maybe I'm their mommy as far as they're concerned.

by Anonymousreply 4610/13/2013

Oh, y'all're making me want to get a cat again.

by Anonymousreply 4710/13/2013

My cat doesn't always want to be petted but when he sits on my lap, if he wants petted, he rubs his head against my hand. Also when he comes inside he insist I pet and rub him while he rolls around on the carpet. When I try to ignore him he bites and scratches my feet. He sure as hell is insisting on attention.

I can imagine if you aren't gentle, they might not like it...or maybe they would prefer it to be more playful? After all if they are completely wild, they like to catch their food, lick it, throw it up in the air and play with it (it isn't pretty). So maybe they need a little rough play every now and then?

by Anonymousreply 4810/13/2013

I have one who only likes being petted because he sees the others. I have another who loves brooms, brushes, and my nails. She has enslaved all the others.

by Anonymousreply 4910/13/2013

Ridiculous. I'm having trouble typing this because my big black cat is rolling on the desk and rubbing himself all over my hands, trying to get me to pet him.

by Anonymousreply 5010/13/2013

Your cat avoids your wine glasses, r45? If mine sees a wine glass he believes it's his sworn duty to turn it over. In fact, anything he's strong enough to turn over, he turns over. Thankfully he's not as bad as he used to be and I've learned to put most things out of his reach.

by Anonymousreply 5110/13/2013

My cat pets me too. Sometimes she will wake me up rubbing her head against my hand when I'm sleeping. She jumps on my lap when I"m working (to be petted).

by Anonymousreply 5210/13/2013

It depends on the cat. My brothers family have several cats. One in particular craves being petted. She picks out who she wants to pet her and pesters them until they comply. She then selects the next person to pet her and moves to them.

The other cat is never seen if there are strangers there.

by Anonymousreply 5310/13/2013

Do you know, I found my pussy trapped in my drawers?

by Anonymousreply 5410/13/2013

No. But my cat loves to be finger fucked

by Anonymousreply 5510/13/2013

My cat does not like to be petted. You pet her one too many times and she'll bite you. I tell this to people and they never believe me. I can sense when she's been petted enough, but people who don't know her well will always get bitten because they don't know when to stop.

She's always been a grouch just like her daddy.

She does llke to be scratched under the chin or behind the ear.

Everything has to be on her terms. She will rub you, jump up and sit on your lap, but if you touch her she gets pissed.

I'm the only one who can pick her up.

She has other odd quirks. She'll only drink water out of a bucket or a running faucet. She won't drink it out of a bowl. She's 18 years old now and can't hop as high as she used to. WHen she was younger, she's jump into the bathroom sink, sit on the edge, put her two front paws in the bowl and start meowing until I tuned the water on. I now leave a bucket full of water in the tub and she'll drink out of that.

Right now she's sleeping on top of my printer that is under my office window. I can't imagine it's very comfortable, but its her favorite spot.

by Anonymousreply 5610/13/2013

I have two. Both love to be petted only when they want to be petted. Cats love routine so it's usually the same time every day. As soon as I settle down in bed with my Kindle, my little orange tabby jumps up bumping against my hand, then settles down next to me for the night. The other one is a morning girl, right after breakfast. Orange girl is a lap cat or a back or hip cat if you're laying down. Grey girl sprawls on the floor and shows her belly to be rubbed (for about 4 seconds). Anyone who says that cats don't crave petting and affection has never owned one or didn't raise the cat from a kitten. And R55. I hope you're kidding, you sicko.

by Anonymousreply 5710/13/2013

One of mine likes to splash the water in her bowl before drinking it R56, I guess it makes it look alive or something.

She also likes to drink my bathwater.

by Anonymousreply 5810/13/2013

Just a possible note a caution, R58. I had a cat who started slapping his water bowl to make the water move as well. That habit coincided with deterioration of his kidneys before they failed last year.

The two things might not be related, but just in case, keep an eye out for other signs of kidney issues, such as harder stools, endless meowing, strong breath, etc.

by Anonymousreply 5910/13/2013

Both my cats insist on lots of petting, ear scratching and belly rubs. They also like to rub their heads against my cheek.

by Anonymousreply 6010/13/2013

I see replies to R55, R56, and R58, but so far the thread only has 36 replies in it.

by Anonymousreply 6110/13/2013

You just posted at R61, R61.

by Anonymousreply 6210/13/2013

They are posting from the future.

by Anonymousreply 6310/13/2013

Thank you R59, she's been doing this for years, but I'll keep an eye out for that.

by Anonymousreply 6510/13/2013

You has done gone off the deep end there, r64!

by Anonymousreply 6610/13/2013

R64, is this for real? Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 6710/13/2013

A CDC study linked in the Wiki entry for T. gondii states that having three or more kittens (specifically) is a high risk factor for T. gondii infection. See link below.

Anyhow, R64 bums me out. I suffer from pretty serious depression and I always credit my cats with helping me through it. A chance that they contribute to it instead is really saddening. It would be devastating to give them up.

by Anonymousreply 6810/13/2013

No schizophrenia in this multi-cat household, R64.

Yes, there is.

No, there isn't.

Wait, who said that?

by Anonymousreply 6910/13/2013

It's totally for real, and it's kind of scary that this parasite exists, that we know that it manipulates the central nervous system of its host (less scrupulous scientific reporting has called it "zombification"), that we know that it causes or contributes to so many horrible neurologic conditions (the link to schizoid behavior is basically concretely proven at this point, and the rest is just about a few peer reviews away from being accepted as fact), and that such a huge amount of the world's population is infected (upwards of 40% was the last estimate I saw), and the only public health warning we've given is "maybe pregnant women shouldn't change the litterbox." I's almost criminally negligent.

by Anonymousreply 7010/13/2013

Basically, R64 is saying is that a cat can make any human its bitch. This is not news to anyone who has a cat.

by Anonymousreply 7110/13/2013

MUST

PET

CAT

by Anonymousreply 7210/13/2013

I have an Irish guy who loves his pussy petted.

by Anonymousreply 7310/13/2013

R51, in one of Edmund Crispin's wonderful mysteries (maybe "The Long Divorce"?), there's a clumsy cat who lives with the Chief Constable & strolls across the mantle, knocking knick knacks off as he goes.

I've only seen that once in real life -- a big puffy orange cat (maybe part Maine Coon), who also liked to roll around on the TV remote control & change the channel until he found "Columbo".

by Anonymousreply 7410/13/2013

R64, do you know Roger Octopus? He believes a lot of far-fetched things too -- this sounds right up his alley!

by Anonymousreply 7510/13/2013

Some cats enjoy it, others don't. Some love the base of their told scratched but hate having their heads touched. Some want belly rubs; most do not.

I work with a T/N/R group, and several of the formerly feral cats at my sites literally drool as I rub and scratch and massage their ears/cheeks/chins. It's as if they can't get enough love to compensate for all those years when nobody cared.

Whatever their blood pressure readings are then, they are happy beyond measure.

by Anonymousreply 7610/13/2013

Oh please, each cat is different. I have one who comes up and begs to be stroked. The other one doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 7710/13/2013

[quote] It's as if they can't get enough love to compensate for all those years when nobody cared.

YES! The most loving and cuddly cats I've ever known were ex-ferals.

And I'd have them back any day, toxoplasmosis be damned.

by Anonymousreply 7810/14/2013

I've had a few feral cats, initially crazy wild things, who showed no signs of ever having human contact, who stumbled by on their rounds.

In about a year of setting out food for them, they became --almost suddenly-- more relaxed to the point where I could brush fleeting against them or touch them without a freak out reaction. That stage might continue for a month or a few months and then, almost overnight, they (the males especially) would go from being startled by the pleasant feeling of being petted to full on whores for it. They would throw themselves down for it and present their undersides and everything. Some were as interested in being petted as they were in food, and would eat only after I had tired of the petting game and gone back inside the house.

by Anonymousreply 7910/14/2013

My boy, gone for 8 years now, was very independent and did not like being touched at all. He was friendly, but just stayed across the room. And absolutely loved watching me work in the yard from the deck. He'd stretch out in the sunshine, hang his head over the edge between the slats, and watch me for as long as I worked out there.

My mother's cat, inversely, loves me and sits in my lap whenever I visit, pretty much for as long as I sit.

by Anonymousreply 8010/14/2013

And now for some humor, Mrs. Slocombe's pussy

by Anonymousreply 8110/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.