Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Size of the LGBT Population and the Magnitude of Anti-Gay Sentiment are Substantially Underestimated

A new study by a team of researchers from Ohio State and Boston Universities found that conventional public opinion surveys tend to underestimate the number of individuals who hold anti-gay views while also under-reporting the proportion of LGBT individuals in the general population.

by Anonymousreply 5307/18/2014

I learned more than a decade ago when working in a free clinic NEVER ask if a man is gay.

Instead ask if he has ever had male to male sex.

Most men who have male to male sex do not identify as gay.

by Anonymousreply 110/12/2013

that's not the article at the link, silly.

it's what scientists call the "abstract."

by Anonymousreply 310/12/2013

Yeah, everyone should know that most men who are attracted to men do not identify as gay, or even bisexual. Not only is this because most same-sex attracted men are closeted, but most same-sex oriented men do not view themselves as gay. Many of them are in fact involved with women, many have never even been involved with men. It is very difficult to measure the LGB population.

by Anonymousreply 410/12/2013

Gays self-report to questioners with a veiled elicitation method 65% more non-heteros than a supposedly anonymous computer survey. And homophobic attitudes are 71% worse than people say in the computer surveya.

by Anonymousreply 810/12/2013

This is why polls showing a majority of Americans or residents of any state support gay marriage should be viewed skeptically. UNtil voters actually ratify gay marriage in a state, we have no real measurement of gay marriage support.

by Anonymousreply 910/12/2013

Obviously most men are pole to hole oriented, or we wouldn't be here to discuss it, fellows.

Evolution means breeders survive to create the next generation.

That doesn't foreclose other avenues for sexual expression. People like sex, as nature intended.

Culturally, I would think those groups that favored M/F couplings are those that mostly live on now.

by Anonymousreply 1611/26/2013

And surveys continue to show a large spike in female-female activity and female bisexuality, whereas men are reporting much less male-male activity and gay/ bi identity than females. The stigma against male homosexuality is still so much greater than against female homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 1811/27/2013

R17, so nice to hear from someone who landed here from outer space. What is the population on your world, if I may inquire?

by Anonymousreply 1911/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 2011/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 2111/27/2013

Yeah, in the last century, male homosexual activity and identity usually was significantly higher in surveys in studies. However in the last 15 years or so, female same-sex activity and identity, especially bisexuality, is outpacing male same-sex activity and identity. The very strong stigma against male homosexuality is the reason.

by Anonymousreply 2311/27/2013

R24, NBER is legit. Its affiliated research is published under the NBER Working Paper Series, though not all of which would eventually be published in a peer-reviewed journal.

by Anonymousreply 2612/04/2013

"And surveys continue to show a large spike in female-female activity and female bisexuality, whereas men are reporting much less male-male activity and gay/ bi identity than females. The stigma against male homosexuality is still so much greater than against female homosexuality"

It's partly because of social attitudes, but it is also biology. Women are wired differently than men, and they are generally more fluid in their tastes than men.

by Anonymousreply 2812/04/2013

I am white and have had many white coworkers make the most racist comments about blacks to me that you could imagine. At the same time they seem to be very friendly to black coworkers who have no clue of their true feelings.

I have never been under the assumption that they are any different about their views towards gays, despite how friendly they may act to my face.

by Anonymousreply 2912/04/2013

I am not even sure if people are really accepting of female bisexuality or lesbianism. Of the women that claim to be bisexual they have not have high profile long term relationships with women. When a bisexual women leaves a man for a woman, then we will see the response. Right now bisexuality among women is only accepted because many straight men get off of it. When they realize that women might leave THEM, then I will believe this.

by Anonymousreply 3412/05/2013

Most public female bisexuals tend to have many More and deeper longterm relationships with men than woman. Female bisexuality is rarely modeled as 50:50 bisexuality or as bisexual women preferring longterm relationships with women. We even have self-identified lesbians ending up marrying men, as Mrs. DeBlasio did.

by Anonymousreply 3612/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 3712/05/2013

So what is the REAL size of the LGBT population?

by Anonymousreply 3912/05/2013

[quote]Str8 Bros want Str8 bros.

No, what they want are -- wait for it! -- girls.

by Anonymousreply 4112/05/2013

And, the beau monde of factors, heterosexuality. Sorry that r42 left that out. At least half of men aren't interested in same sex encounters.

by Anonymousreply 4312/06/2013

The Public Religion Research Institute released a new poll on LGB issues. The current survey, using self-identification, finds 5.1% of the adult population identifies as either gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender. Notably, Americans overestimate the size of the LGBT population by a factor of 4 (20% median estimate). Only 14% of Americans accurately estimate the gay and lesbian population at 5% or less.

by Anonymousreply 4602/27/2014

The public are right.

by Anonymousreply 4802/27/2014

r47, actually that is one of the highest levels of self-identification of any major survey or study in recent decades. Usually, only about 2 to 4 percent of Americans identify as LGB in such studies.

by Anonymousreply 4902/27/2014

OP's link says you have to pay to see the paper. Did anyone here pay? What does it say?

by Anonymousreply 5002/27/2014

Did you miss the point of the whole study, R46? There is a difference between self-reported identification and a LGB population, and you have conflated the two.

R50, I am affiliated with a university and I downloaded it and read it. It is a reputable publication, and the results were eye-opening.

Then again, I agree with whoever posted above that humans are 80% bisexual, 10% homosexual and 10% heterosexual.

by Anonymousreply 5102/27/2014

In 2013, the National Health Interview Survey asked respondents their sexual orientation for the first time, creating an important new opportunity for understanding the health of well-being of people who identify as gay, lesbian, and bisexual (LGB) across the country.

The number of people who self-identified as LGB for the survey was notably lower than other studies have found. Only 1.6 percent identified as gay or lesbian and another 0.7 percent identified as bisexual. Because this reflects how a person self-identifies and not necessarily their behavior and relationships, it may not be an accurate portrayal of how many LGB people there actually are. Moreover, this was the first time the survey invited respondents to identify their sexual orientation, and some may not have felt comfortable doing so honestly for a questionnaire that asked other personal questions about their health and lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 5207/15/2014

by Anonymousreply 5307/18/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!