Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Size of the LGBT Population and the Magnitude of Anti-Gay Sentiment are Substantially Underestimated

A new study by a team of researchers from Ohio State and Boston Universities found that conventional public opinion surveys tend to underestimate the number of individuals who hold anti-gay views while also under-reporting the proportion of LGBT individuals in the general population.

by Anonymousreply 5307/18/2014

I learned more than a decade ago when working in a free clinic NEVER ask if a man is gay.

Instead ask if he has ever had male to male sex.

Most men who have male to male sex do not identify as gay.

by Anonymousreply 110/12/2013

The article is too brief, they should tell us what percentage of hetero-priveleged assholes think it's ok to discriminate against us. Instead they just give the percentage of difference between the two different methodologies.

The net result is to depress gay readers, even though we have been making such great strides, a sitting president coming out for gay marriage being one of the biggest. The homophobes won't be able unring that bell.

by Anonymousreply 210/12/2013

that's not the article at the link, silly.

it's what scientists call the "abstract."

by Anonymousreply 310/12/2013

Yeah, everyone should know that most men who are attracted to men do not identify as gay, or even bisexual. Not only is this because most same-sex attracted men are closeted, but most same-sex oriented men do not view themselves as gay. Many of them are in fact involved with women, many have never even been involved with men. It is very difficult to measure the LGB population.

by Anonymousreply 410/12/2013

Human beings are:

Ten percent gay

Eighty percent bisexual

Ten percent straight

by Anonymousreply 510/12/2013

TF might be right.

by Anonymousreply 610/12/2013

Preach it, R5. Unfotunately most of these bisexuals are homophobic and hate their same-sex attractions thus the discrimination and criminalization of gay acts throughout the centuries.

by Anonymousreply 710/12/2013

Gays self-report to questioners with a veiled elicitation method 65% more non-heteros than a supposedly anonymous computer survey. And homophobic attitudes are 71% worse than people say in the computer surveya.

by Anonymousreply 810/12/2013

This is why polls showing a majority of Americans or residents of any state support gay marriage should be viewed skeptically. UNtil voters actually ratify gay marriage in a state, we have no real measurement of gay marriage support.

by Anonymousreply 910/12/2013

Most people in this country are opposed to gay marriage

by Anonymousreply 1010/12/2013

Did we sleep through the 2012 elections, R9? Voters passed gay marriage in Maine, Maryland, and Washington. Minnesota voters nixed a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 1110/12/2013

We really need to know the baselines before this can make sense.

by Anonymousreply 1210/12/2013

Hmmmm...another pro-"anti-gay" study. This one would shore up NOW's argument that the "majority" is "really" against same-sex marriage. Interesting how these are showing up lately.

by Anonymousreply 1310/12/2013

The number of British women having same-sex partners has quadrupled over the last 10 years, rising from 1.8% to 7.9%.

These findings were part of a nationwide report published in The Lancet that looks at how sexual attitudes and behaviours have changed over recent decades.

The third National Survey of Sexual Attitudes and Lifestyles (Natsal) showed a significant shift in the attitude and behaviour among women, suggesting that female sexuality is becoming more accepted in society.

Findings showed that the average number of partners over a woman's lifetime has more than doubled since the first survey took place in the 1990s, rising from 3.7 to 7.7. Among men, the figure increased by just over a third, from 8.6 to 11.7.

The number of men reporting having same-sex partners increased only slightly, from 3.6% to 4.8%.

Kaye Wellings, from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, which took part in the study, said: "The change in women's behaviour across the three surveys has been remarkable.

"In some areas of sexual behaviour we have seen a narrowing of the gender gap, but in others we have seen women overtaking men in the diversity of their behaviour. These trends need to be seen against the backdrop of the profound changes in the position of women in society, the norms governing their lifestyles, and media representations of female sexuality." LGBT

Despite a rise in female sexuality, the report also found that one in 10 women are victims of rape at some point in their life, compared to one in 70 men. Participants were asked whether they had ever had sex against their will, rather than if they had been raped.

Lead author Wendy Macdowall told the Guardian that the survey shows the huge discrepancy between crime figures and reality (statistics show just 3.8% of women have been raped).

"We know that people who have experienced what would meet the legal definition of rape do not describe it as such. We've always known police reports are the tip of the iceberg and there's always been the suspicion the crime survey figures are low" Macdowall said.

The survey involved 15,162 people aged between 16 and 74 who lived in Britain between 2010 and 2012.

The report also shows that attitudes towards sex are changing. In the first Natsal survey, published during the 1990s, 78% of men thought that male same-sex relationships were wrong on some level, while 76% felt the same about female same-sex relations.

However, there is still widespread prejudice towards LGBT couples among Britain's male population. Fifty two percent of men still think that male same-sex relationships are wrong, with 48% saying the same of female same-sex partnerships.

The increase in tolerance among women is far more marked, with the number accepting gay and lesbian relationships rising from 28% to 66%.

Commenting on the study, Ruth Hunt, the deputy chief executive of LGBT charity Stonewall, said: "Attitudes to gay people have undoubtedly changed over the past 20 years. But there's still much to be done to challenge homophobia."

by Anonymousreply 1411/26/2013

"Finally, our results identify two social norms: it is perceived as socially undesirable both to be open about being gay, and to be unaccepting of gay individuals. "

This is far from ideal, but it shows progress. Most of these studies say that only a minute percentage of the population is queer. This study shows that gay people are very under-represented and that the majority are closeted. Pretty much what you find on Datalounge which is A GAY FORUM. It is depressing but it's not surprising.

The second part shows a change in cultural norms: homophobia is no longer acceptable. It doesn't mean the end of homophobia. But it does signal a positive change. People seem to forget that they are followers for the most part. This new public perception of homophobia being bad will lead people out of the status quo.

So this is all a step forward. And it's also proof we have a long way to go. And that's why I roll my eyes at people who want to believe we live in a "post gay" society. As if.

by Anonymousreply 1511/26/2013

Obviously most men are pole to hole oriented, or we wouldn't be here to discuss it, fellows.

Evolution means breeders survive to create the next generation.

That doesn't foreclose other avenues for sexual expression. People like sex, as nature intended.

Culturally, I would think those groups that favored M/F couplings are those that mostly live on now.

by Anonymousreply 1611/26/2013

Love how breeders have to underscore how essential they are to evolution. Because as well know, humans have to evolve to breed even more, since there are so few of us in the world now.

by Anonymousreply 1711/26/2013

And surveys continue to show a large spike in female-female activity and female bisexuality, whereas men are reporting much less male-male activity and gay/ bi identity than females. The stigma against male homosexuality is still so much greater than against female homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 1811/26/2013

R17, so nice to hear from someone who landed here from outer space. What is the population on your world, if I may inquire?

by Anonymousreply 1911/26/2013

DUH

by Anonymousreply 2011/26/2013

damn

by Anonymousreply 2111/27/2013

Without gay people human beings would never have become civilized. It's obvious that the actual work of progress--the invention of agriculture, the advent of civilization, art, culture, etc--were the work of gay men and women. Straights are too busy fighting and raising brood to do any of that.

by Anonymousreply 2211/27/2013

Yeah, in the last century, male homosexual activity and identity usually was significantly higher in surveys in studies. However in the last 15 years or so, female same-sex activity and identity, especially bisexuality, is outpacing male same-sex activity and identity. The very strong stigma against male homosexuality is the reason.

by Anonymousreply 2311/27/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 2411/27/2013

If you really think you're gay, guys, why not act on it? It seems women are experimenting more with same-sex encounters while men are not so curious

A few years ago, Katy Perry sang I Kissed a Girl ("I kissed a girl and I liked it"), and very swiftly I decided that I didn't like it. In fact, I was irritated by it, more precisely by the song's hetero-needy subtext ("And I hope guys get off on me like me liking it too!"). Grand, if it made some young lesbians and bisexuals feel less isolated, but there was something about Perry's faux-Sapphic lyric that pined for the male gaze for validation. Something that said that this was less about experimentation, rather a whistle-stop brand of sexual tourism – not the really depressing kind, involving furtive middle-aged males taking trips to Thailand, but fake and irksome nonetheless. Now I wonder if Katy may just have been of her time.

The latest National Survey of Sexual Attitudes and Lifestyles revealed many things (from unplanned pregnancies to unreported sexual assaults), but also that there has been a 400% increase in (mainly younger) women, some fully lesbian, declaring same sex sexual experimentation – around 16%. By contrast, the number of men who'd had a same sex experience had only gone up 1% (to 7%) since 1991.

Interesting. Women appear to be increasingly open, in terms of taking these kinds of carnal mini-breaks – "just visiting" a sexuality, but not always to the point where they feel truly bisexual or even bicurious. The kind of sexual fluidity that may only flow once or twice but is significant nonetheless, certainly nothing to hide, or be ashamed of. On the other hand, guys (men!), where were you?

With female sexual fluidity increasing by 400%, that male 1% increase can't help but look about as fluid as breeze block. Which, considering that this is a survey about sex, just isn't like men – are they feeling unwell, a little bit shy? Come to think of it, why haven't One Direction released We Kissed Some Blokes (We Liked It)? Joking apart, it has to be seen as strange that quasi-hetero girl-on-girl action is fast becoming mainstream in a way the male version isn't.

These days, a woman kissing another woman at a party might be interpreted in many ways, only one being that she is going to be a committed lifelong lesbian. However, a man doing similar would usually be viewed as 100% gay. If he said he was experimenting, he would be branded as in denial. Is this what's happening – that some men may be loath to embrace or admit to sexual fluidity, lest society rush to categorise them, as it doesn't do with women?

Or it could be that men simply need to up their game in the sexually fluid stakes. Robbie Williams has recently been under fire for declaring himself "49% gay" on account of the fact that he loves "musical theatre and a lot of other things that are often associated with gays". (Pause for writer to put her head into her hands and cringe.) In some ways, one sympathises with this clumsy attempt at what could be termed solidarity. Here on Planet Hetero, few are innocent of the odd blunder. Odd, though, that you don't tend to get women saying "I'm 49% gay, because I love having hairy armpits, wearing dungarees and other ludicrous outdated cliches associated with lesbians."

It says something that even self-professed "49%" gay men such as Williams flounder around, spouting pathetic tosh about musical theatre, completely refusing to acknowledge that being a little bit gay could maybe entail a little bit of taking your pants off. By contrast, according to this survey, women bypass the boring stereotypes and get stuck straight into the sex stuff.

When it comes to being sexually fluid, it would seem that women really don't hang about.

by Anonymousreply 2512/04/2013

R24, NBER is legit. Its affiliated research is published under the NBER Working Paper Series, though not all of which would eventually be published in a peer-reviewed journal.

by Anonymousreply 2612/04/2013

Don't believe it. A better study in 1991 found that 37% of men had had a gay experience to the point of orgasm.

by Anonymousreply 2712/04/2013

"And surveys continue to show a large spike in female-female activity and female bisexuality, whereas men are reporting much less male-male activity and gay/ bi identity than females. The stigma against male homosexuality is still so much greater than against female homosexuality"

It's partly because of social attitudes, but it is also biology. Women are wired differently than men, and they are generally more fluid in their tastes than men.

by Anonymousreply 2812/04/2013

I am white and have had many white coworkers make the most racist comments about blacks to me that you could imagine. At the same time they seem to be very friendly to black coworkers who have no clue of their true feelings.

I have never been under the assumption that they are any different about their views towards gays, despite how friendly they may act to my face.

by Anonymousreply 2912/04/2013

r23 It's not because the stigma of male homosexuality has gotten worse, it's because of the rise of the female bisexual in the past 15 years.

It's been trendy for women to be bisexual or into women. Angelina Jolie and countless other female stars made big splashes in the media for saying they're bisexual. It's hard to find a female pop star who doesn't claim to be bi (except Taylor Swift and Britney). It's ALL OVER THE MEDIA. Madonna played a big part in this as well.

Male homosexuality only gets more accepted by the day.

by Anonymousreply 3012/04/2013

But if that faux bisexuality worth much when most of those public female bisexuals have not been in high profile relationships with women? Angelina Jolie married a man, not a woman.

by Anonymousreply 3112/04/2013

"Angelina Jolie married a man, not a woman."

That doesn't mean she's not attracted to women

by Anonymousreply 3212/04/2013

Homosexual, Heterosexual and Bisexual are outdated concepts.

by Anonymousreply 3312/04/2013

I am not even sure if people are really accepting of female bisexuality or lesbianism. Of the women that claim to be bisexual they have not have high profile long term relationships with women. When a bisexual women leaves a man for a woman, then we will see the response. Right now bisexuality among women is only accepted because many straight men get off of it. When they realize that women might leave THEM, then I will believe this.

by Anonymousreply 3412/04/2013

I think that there are many people who feel as though they're accepting of gays, but if you ask them the right questions, you will find underlying homophobic attitudes still prevail. Basically, we ARE winning the war, but people still think that we're weird even if they don't think that they do. Can we put a stop to these attitudes? Probably not. Humans have a natural inclination towards in-groups - always have and always will. So long as we continue to win rights and heterosexuals work against their instincts, that's as much as we can hope for.

by Anonymousreply 3512/04/2013

Most public female bisexuals tend to have many More and deeper longterm relationships with men than woman. Female bisexuality is rarely modeled as 50:50 bisexuality or as bisexual women preferring longterm relationships with women. We even have self-identified lesbians ending up marrying men, as Mrs. DeBlasio did.

by Anonymousreply 3612/05/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 3712/05/2013

Str8 Bros want Str8 bros. They want nothing to do with gay.

Gay has ruined male to male sex.

by Anonymousreply 3812/05/2013

So what is the REAL size of the LGBT population?

by Anonymousreply 3912/05/2013

I work with a bunch of straight young men, they don't seem to have any prejudice against gay people or people of other races. I think that younger educated people are letting go of a lot of that crap.

by Anonymousreply 4012/05/2013

[quote]Str8 Bros want Str8 bros.

No, what they want are -- wait for it! -- girls.

by Anonymousreply 4112/05/2013

There are four main factors that depress male bisexual/gay activity: 1)religious beliefs; 2) fear of social stigma (what would the bros say); 3) fear of losing masculinity or manhood status; and 4) fear of HIV and STDs.

by Anonymousreply 4212/05/2013

And, the beau monde of factors, heterosexuality. Sorry that r42 left that out. At least half of men aren't interested in same sex encounters.

by Anonymousreply 4312/05/2013

Not to diminish the study, but sexual behavior and sexual orientation are two different things. Just because a straight person sleeps with someone of their own sex doesn't mean they are gay or even bisexual. The same is true with gay people that sleep with the opposite sex(think of all the closet cases).

As homophobia decreases, gay men and women won't bother with experimenting with the opposite sex as much(number of gold-stars are increasing)-- but straight people will be more open to same sex encounters. But this doesn't mean there are more or less lgbt people.

by Anonymousreply 4412/05/2013

/

by Anonymousreply 4512/06/2013

The Public Religion Research Institute released a new poll on LGB issues. The current survey, using self-identification, finds 5.1% of the adult population identifies as either gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender. Notably, Americans overestimate the size of the LGBT population by a factor of 4 (20% median estimate). Only 14% of Americans accurately estimate the gay and lesbian population at 5% or less.

by Anonymousreply 4602/27/2014

Sounds like a horribly flawed study, R46.

by Anonymousreply 4702/27/2014

The public are right.

by Anonymousreply 4802/27/2014

r47, actually that is one of the highest levels of self-identification of any major survey or study in recent decades. Usually, only about 2 to 4 percent of Americans identify as LGB in such studies.

by Anonymousreply 4902/27/2014

OP's link says you have to pay to see the paper. Did anyone here pay? What does it say?

by Anonymousreply 5002/27/2014

Did you miss the point of the whole study, R46? There is a difference between self-reported identification and a LGB population, and you have conflated the two.

R50, I am affiliated with a university and I downloaded it and read it. It is a reputable publication, and the results were eye-opening.

Then again, I agree with whoever posted above that humans are 80% bisexual, 10% homosexual and 10% heterosexual.

by Anonymousreply 5102/27/2014

In 2013, the National Health Interview Survey asked respondents their sexual orientation for the first time, creating an important new opportunity for understanding the health of well-being of people who identify as gay, lesbian, and bisexual (LGB) across the country.

The number of people who self-identified as LGB for the survey was notably lower than other studies have found. Only 1.6 percent identified as gay or lesbian and another 0.7 percent identified as bisexual. Because this reflects how a person self-identifies and not necessarily their behavior and relationships, it may not be an accurate portrayal of how many LGB people there actually are. Moreover, this was the first time the survey invited respondents to identify their sexual orientation, and some may not have felt comfortable doing so honestly for a questionnaire that asked other personal questions about their health and lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 5207/15/2014

d

by Anonymousreply 5307/18/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!