Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Morrissey autobiography pulled at last minute following 'content disagreement'

Deal with Penguin Books collapses ahead of planned release

The publication of the official Morrissey biography has been pulled at the last minute following a "content dispute" between the singer and publisher Penguin.

Morrissey: Autobiography was due for release on Monday (September 16) but a statement on True To You today (September 13) confirmed that the book will no longer be available on that date and will not be published by Penguin. The statement, which you can see below, confirms that Morrissey is seeking a new publisher to print the book.

The statement reads: "Although Morrissey's Autobiography was set to be available throughout the UK on September 16, a last-minute content disagreement between Penguin Books and Morrissey has caused the venture to collapse. No review copies were printed, and Morrissey is now in search of a new publisher."

In 2011 a spokesperson for Penguin Books said Morrissey's forthcoming autobiography was "a classic in the making". The publisher has said it was keen to enter discussions with the former Smiths frontman, who announced he had finished the 600 page-plus tome that year.

During a 2011 interview with BBC Radio 4's Front Row, Morrissey said he wanted the book to come out on the Penguin Classic series, despite the book franchise normally only ever being bestowed on already-established literary classics rather than new titles.

Over the past year Morrissey has postponed and cancelled a host of tour dates because of his mother's and his own ill health. He recently revealed that he nearly died earlier this year due to medical problems.

by Anonymousreply 1010/17/2013 has the book and its cover listed for release, Oct. 17, 2013.

by Anonymousreply 110/12/2013

October release confirmed. Book signing event held on release date in Sweden.

by Anonymousreply 210/12/2013

6 October 2013

Morrissey would like to stress that he has not been consulted over any takedown request to remove the Tumblr blog named 'This Charming Charlie'. Morrissey is represented by Warner-Chappell Publishing, and not Universal Music Publishing, (who have allegedly demanded that the lyrics be removed). Morrissey is delighted and flattered by the Peanuts comic strip with its use of Morrissey-Smiths lyrics, and he hopes that the strips remain.

by Anonymousreply 310/12/2013

[quote] has the book and its cover listed for release, Oct. 17, 2013.

Did you see the cover photo? It's hideous

by Anonymousreply 410/12/2013

He's only getting a paperback release! LMFAO!

He had to cut his tour short for lack of funding.

by Anonymousreply 510/12/2013

[quote]He's only getting a paperback release! LMFAO!

That's exactly what he wanted. He got it published under the Penguin Classics imprint, which is an incredibly ballsy move that's already pissing literary types off.

[quote]He had to cut his tour short for lack of funding.

That's not true. He cut it short because he's a total flake. He makes a lot of money on the road, when he actually gets his shit together and does the shows.

by Anonymousreply 610/12/2013

He strikes me as an older Brett Easton Ellis or a male Azealia Banks or Ann Coulter. Loves to stir shit and spread their unhinged unhappiness around under the guise of "honest commentary".

What all four also have in common is that no one gives a fuck about them anymore except to wait for the next outburst.

by Anonymousreply 710/12/2013

so is it coming out or not?

by Anonymousreply 810/12/2013

Former Smiths frontman Morrissey opens up about his personal life in his new autobiography, revealing that he had a serious relationship with a man in his mid-30s, and at one point considered having a baby with a woman.

The notoriously private artist says in the book that he struck up a relationship with a man named Jake Walters in 1994 after meeting in a restaurant. "For the first time in my life the eternal 'I' becomes 'we', as, finally, I can get on with someone," he writes.

"Jake and I neither sought nor needed company other than our own for the whirlwind stretch to come," he writes. "Indulgently Jake and I test how far each of us can go before 'being dwelt in' causes cries of intolerable struggle, but our closeness transcends such visitations."

According to the BBC's Colin Paterson, who read the book, released only in the UK and Europe, the relationship was put to an end two years later by Morrissey's next-door neighbor, the writer Alan Bennett. "What's wrong with you two, you don't talk anymore," he apparently told them.

Two years later, Morrissey reveals, he fell in love with a woman named Tina Dehgani and they "discussed the unthinkable act of producing a mewling miniature monster."

There is also the disturbing revelation that he was touched inappropriately by a school teacher as a youth. "At 14, I understand the meaning of the unnecessarily slow and sensual strokes, with eyes fixed to mine," Morrissey writes.

Morrissey's autobiography is 457 pages long, contains no chapters or index and starts with a paragraph that lasts four-and-a-half pages. It was published by Penguin Classic after being delayed in September due to a "last-minute content disagreement." Plans to release the tome outside of Europe have not been disclosed.

Other highlights from the book include passages on his childhood, his working relationship with Johnny Marr, his distaste of the U.K. legal system, anecdotes on fellow notables like Michael Stipe (he doesn't brush his teeth before a gig) and John Peel (he never saw the Smiths live) and how it took a long time to realize "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" is great song.

by Anonymousreply 910/17/2013

Morrissey reveals details about his first bisexual relationship with a man during his thirties AND being a father in new memoirs

By Daily Mail Reporter

PUBLISHED: 10:36 EST, 17 October 2013 | UPDATED: 11:41 EST, 17 October 2013

View comments

Famously private chart star Morrissey has disclosed details of how his first relationship with a man came in his 30s and told how he later discussed becoming a father with a close female companion.

The ex-Smiths star has revealed aspects of his personal life in a memoir published today in which he talks about being touched by a male teacher in his early teens.

And he grumbles at length about the injustices of a court case about the band's royalties in the 457-page book, as well as discussing his bitterness about record deals and his brushes with many famous names he has encountered.

He reveals he was in his mid-30s when he met Jake Walters at a dinner he attended in Notting Hill. Morrissey wrote: 'Jake and I fell together in deep collusion whereby the thorough and personal could be the only possible way and we ate up each minute of the day.

'There will be no secrets of flesh or fantasy; he is me and I am he.'

He went on: 'We managed to parrot on non-stop for two years in a jocular fourth-form stew of genius and silliness.'

Morrissey recalls how his neighbour, the writer Alan Bennett, had noticed the relationship had reached its end when his visited and pointed out to them: 'You haven't spoken a word to one another since I arrived.'

The musician, whose much-anticipated book Autobiography has been published by Penguin Classics, discusses an incident with a male teacher as he covers his early years.

He points out the member of staff took an interest in him, massaging his hurt wrist with 'slow and sensual strokes' and claims the same man was eyeing him up as he dried himself after a shower following a games lesson.

Morrissey, 54, also talks about his strong attachment to Iranian-born friend Tina Dehghani, whom he met while living in Los Angeles, saying of her: 'Tina is my first experience of uncluttered commitment.'

'We take our place together almost without noticing,' he wrote. And of their discussion about children, he said: 'Tina and I discuss the unthinkable act of producing a mewling miniature monster.'

As readers might expect from one of rock's great lyricists, Morrissey paints a vivid picture of his early years, with discussions of the merits of the TV shows he remembered as a child. And his writing is as scabrous as the interviews he has given over the past three decades.

He calls his colleague Mike Joyce a 'pounder drummer' when he discusses what he thought were the injustices of a lengthy court case in which Joyce and bass player Andy Rourke sought a 25% share of the band's earnings.

And he calls guitarist Johnny Marr 'a virtuoso of to-ing and gro-ing, you might swear that you are in the company of identical triplets as Johnny stands before you'.

Morrissey provides a forensic analysis of the court case - which he and fellow songwriter Marr lost - over many pages as he takes apart the witnesses, the lawyers and the judge. And he rails against the decision to increase the share of profits afforded to bandmates Joyce and Rourke, which was upheld on appeal.

He is particularly venomous about Joyce's extensive legal claims on his royalties claiming he 'grabs all he can", taking '£3 million - or thereabouts' of Morrissey's royalties under a later Smiths deal with Warner Records, which the singer called "a farce of unimaginable proportions'.

The star also talks of his unhappiness with Geoff Travis, the man who signed them to his record label Rough Trade, even though he not been interested in hearing their demo until Marr insisted.

He claims they were poorly treated by Travis, despite the label's success being built on The Smiths, and points out at one stage of the book: 'There will never be one instance in the Smiths' history with Rough Trade when Geoff would treat the band to a lavish none-too-cheap dinner or salutary clink of earthenware.'

He talks about the g

by Anonymousreply 1010/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!