Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Vandalized Mailbox

Last night about 2:00 in the morning I heard a crash outside my house. Some kids with a baseball bat destroyed my mailbox, it was a Rubbermaid I bought about five years ago that had a new mail indicator. No other mailbox on the street was touched.

Today I went and bought one of the mailboxes at the link. It's supposed to be "vandalism resistant", but we'll see. In the store it looked okay, but now that it's in, I can't decide if I like it or loathe it, now I'm reading reviews that water get into them sometimes. I see a lot of the same models around and wonder if any non metropolitan DLer's have the same.

by Anonymousreply 3910/13/2013

As a side note, this is how my old mailbox looked.

No, the boy who cuts the lawn doesn't come until tomorrow...

by Anonymousreply 110/12/2013

Rotten kids. Sorry OP

by Anonymousreply 210/12/2013

Dullest thread ever

by Anonymousreply 310/12/2013

I'm sorry they broke your mailbox, OP. Karma will catch up with the little bastards.

by Anonymousreply 410/12/2013

Fucking kids, OP. Can't stand them. The kids where I live have been knocking our sprinkler system around and many things have to be replaced. I'm thinking about putting up a pointy fence around our areas.

by Anonymousreply 510/12/2013

Dear God, that vandalism-resistant one is ugly!

I hope it isn't paint-resistant.

by Anonymousreply 610/12/2013

Thanks for the nice words. For the most part I'm over it. I was up on the computer so I was at the window looking out almost immediately after, so I even know which kid in the neighborhood did it. Rather insane religious parents, he probably sneaked out. Still, I'd rather it be a mailbox than a person.

R6, for some reason Lowes and Home Depot in this area never have the black versions of the non-metal mailboxes, that's how I ended up with the beige color the last two times, It can be painted with Krylon, but I imagine that the paint would be less impact resistant than the bulbous resin body of the new mailbox. Of course, if the local post office hadn't decided to stop delivering to mailboxes mounted on houses five years ago, non of this would have mattered.

by Anonymousreply 710/12/2013

Release the bloodhounds!

by Anonymousreply 810/12/2013

Patch up the old one, fill it with concrete. That way the little shit will at least jar his arm when he next hits it.

by Anonymousreply 910/12/2013

I like to picture a worried OP in curlers, running to the mailbox while clutching her caftan at the neck.

by Anonymousreply 1010/12/2013

[quote]Patch up the old one, fill it with concrete. That way the little shit will at least jar his arm when he next hits it.

Agreed.

Although, I'm guessing you're in America, OP? You probably shouldn't, then, or you'll be sued for million$.

by Anonymousreply 1110/12/2013

R10 *cackle*

by Anonymousreply 1210/12/2013

Strangle him with a caftan.

by Anonymousreply 1310/12/2013

You saw him and you know who he is. Only your house. More to the story? Bad blood?

by Anonymousreply 1410/12/2013

Assuming they're coming back to inflict more horror, wouldn't it make sense to NOT buy the one that represents a challenge to them?

Why not buy the cheapest one you can find and attach it to the post with two little nails. That way they hit it, the box goes flying, and they're off to the next one. You come out in the morning and pound the two nails back in.

by Anonymousreply 1510/12/2013

Bunch of savages in this town.

by Anonymousreply 1610/12/2013

R14, I'm the only homeowner in this neighborhood under 40, there are only about six Teenagers in a four block radius.

His father is an assistant pastor down at the First Baptist Church, a church I might add, that from what I hear had a lot to say about National Coming Out Day and the recruitment of youth into the homosexual lifestyle during last Sunday's sermon.

This kid might get in trouble for being out at 2am on a school night, but if it was to bust up a fags mailbox he'd be let off the hook.

I suppose I could have involved the police, where I actually would have gotten support, but why raise animosity, The Dad pings to high heaven and I fully intend to expose him for the closet case bitch he [probably] is when/if the opportunity presents itself. Until then I'm keeping the animosity to a minimum.

by Anonymousreply 1710/12/2013

Hate crime!

by Anonymousreply 1810/12/2013

[quote] I fully intend to expose him for the closet case bitch he [probably] is when/if the opportunity presents itself.

Creepy.

by Anonymousreply 1910/12/2013

We moved into our suburban jersey ranch 3 years ago and were told on moving day not to put a nice mailbox out because it would just get smashed....no smashing until last week and it was across the street...guy has lived here since day one...wife said it was common a few years ago ....theirs was the only one....sounds like we have a national problem here!!

by Anonymousreply 2010/12/2013

"The Dad pings to high heaven and I fully intend to expose him for the closet case bitch he [probably] is when/if the opportunity presents itself."

And now we know why your mailbox was *really* vandalized

by Anonymousreply 2110/12/2013

I hate the plastic mailboxes, it's design inspired by garbage cans.

That said, I kept the ancient farm mailbox that came with my place. It's huge, very heavy gauge, just short of cast iron, and mounted on a very stout post. A vandal driving by and whacking it with a baseball bat would get a hell of a recoil. I also had boulders piled around the base which means that driving near enough to reach it takes some care.

Maybe once every two or three years I'll hear of a neighbor or two losing their mailboxes to vandals. I've noticed that it's the shiny new ones, and the "artistically embellished" boxes that take a licking.

Outside of being hugely oversized, mine is the classic Rural Delivery sort shown in this image, coated with some old paint to blend in with a hedge. It's purposely inconspicuous for me and for vandals. No one has damaged it in the 50-plus years it's been there (to judge from old photos.)

When I was a kid, someone put two live blackbirds in my family's mailbox. It wasn't even 1963, and no one ever bothered with it before or after, so that one remains a mystery. Maybe my mother pissed someone off.

by Anonymousreply 2210/12/2013

R22, you're lucky (and those boulders help too) that your box hasn't been smashed. My parents had one of those, which was knocked down several times over the years (mostly in the 1970s). One of the crazy neighbors had his mailbox smashed several times, so he bought a new one and encased it in concrete from the ground up, which the pranksters then tried to blow up. However, the concrete held and is still there (although the neighbor is long deceased).

by Anonymousreply 2310/12/2013

Why don't they post through the letterbox in your door in America? I don't like the idea of mailboxes separate from the house at all. What if you're being sent something valuable?

by Anonymousreply 2410/12/2013

[quote]Why don't they post through the letterbox in your door in America?

Mailboxes are not uniform in America. (It's a pretty big country). In rural areas (where I assume OP lives), the mailbox is at the roadside while the house may be set very far back. In suburban areas, it varies. In apartment buildings and complexes, mailboxes are often all located together in a central area. In cities (where I live) people often have mail slots in their front doors.

by Anonymousreply 2610/12/2013

R25, I'm a gay man in a small southern town. That's enough to inspire vandalism. also people tossing cans, bottles and Styrofoam take out trays in my yard.

by Anonymousreply 2710/12/2013

On the bright side: since you live in a small southern town, you're probably legally allowed (if not required) to shoot dead any kid who steps on your property carrying a baseball bat.

by Anonymousreply 2810/12/2013

My parent had an iron pole filled with cement to hold it up and one of the vandal dickheads tried to sue them after he hurt himself trying to knock it down.

by Anonymousreply 2910/12/2013

R25 enjoys forcing his pet poodle FiFi to lick peanut butter off his cock.

by Anonymousreply 3010/12/2013

[quote]I'm a gay man in a small southern town. That's enough to inspire vandalism. also people tossing cans, bottles and Styrofoam take out trays in my yard.

Have you ever thought of moving. If not, why not?

by Anonymousreply 3110/12/2013

30+ posts and no one admits to being a mailbox vandal in their youth? Ok. I'll be the first.

It was luck of the draw as to whose box we targeted with the bat. More to do with the physics of the road than personal animosity. Of course there was beer involved and it was funny as hell for some reason. So funny my friend Becky wet her pants one night.

by Anonymousreply 3210/12/2013

[quote]I'm a gay man in a small southern town. That's enough to inspire vandalism. also people tossing cans, bottles and Styrofoam take out trays in my yard.

That's my situation, too, but not at all my experience I've had none of those problems, nor any others. My house is conspicuous and a local landmark of sorts, an object of folklore (from long before I came along.). Everyone knows it, and because everyone knows the house everyone knows it's where the gay guys live, but never a hint of trouble or any unease.

by Anonymousreply 3310/13/2013

I thought destruction of a mail box is actually a criminal act, in fact I believe federal.....did you call the police op?

by Anonymousreply 3410/13/2013

I'm on my fifth mail box this year. I thought mailbox bashing went out in the eighties.

I have no door, and no flag left, my postman said to leave it, it still works, and let the bastards see it every time they drive by. It's been four months this way. I don't really give a rats ass how it looks anymore.

by Anonymousreply 3510/13/2013

Sorry, but mailbox vandalism is nothing new...and it's certainly not something that only gays in small towns have to deal with.

I grew up in the midwest in the 90s and we went through a couple of mailboxes as a kid (my parents settled on a hard plastic one which was tougher to vandalize than the metal variety). The more ornate the mailbox, the bigger the target in the eyes of destructive teenagers.

by Anonymousreply 3610/13/2013

I'd place a video camera on a tripod in my yard and record who's doing the bashing. It's a federal offense and when these hoods are caught they'll be in big trouble. If they can drive, they are charged as adults.

by Anonymousreply 3710/13/2013

The federal penalty is up to 3 years in jail and 250,000.00 fine. It gets worse of there is mail in the box.

by Anonymousreply 3810/13/2013

Now we know why Becca was always sad, very sad. It was guilt over her past in the mailbox racket.

by Anonymousreply 3910/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.