Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did You Lose A Huge Amount Of Weight?

If so, how did you do it? How long did it take? What did you start off weighing before starting? How much did you lose? How old are you? What is your gender.

by Anonymousreply 5802/15/2014

Have lost 85 pounds since January. Began at 335; still want to lose 80 more. 61/male. Diet only-cut back or eliminated sweets; more fruits and vegetables. Non-fat dairy (yogurt, cottage cheese, milk). Basically just cut calories and tried to maximize fruits and vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 110/12/2013

I went from about 250 to 200 in about a year. I didn't do anything.

It just happened. A few years later, I'm kind of looking forward to the next adjustment. Though, as I understand it, if you get old enough, extra weight is a blessing.

So, if you weigh 600 pounds and want to live to be 60, you need to lose most of your weight.

But if you are 60 and weigh 600 pounds, you might be lucky.

by Anonymousreply 210/12/2013

Went vegan. Finally I'm able to manage my weight and feel good. Friggin took my forever to come around.

by Anonymousreply 310/12/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 410/12/2013

I went from 141 to 110. I cut the crap out of my diet and started walking about 5 miles a day. This was 3 years ago. Since then I have gone to a vegan/plant based diet. I hike, do yoga and workout at the gym.

I am 56 years old and 5'3".

by Anonymousreply 510/12/2013

Lost seventy pounds over a years time. Would like to lose twenty more. I stopped drinking anything but water and unsweetened tea, cut out simple carbs and only eat sugar on special occasions. I now swim three times a week, an hour at a time. Have stopped losing so we'll see what next year brings.

by Anonymousreply 610/12/2013

I went from 215 to 150 in 3 months. RADICAL dieting. I was DESPERATE, but I had made up my mind. I ate one salad a day and juice and coffee as well. The pounds melted off. It happened so quickly that my room mates never even noticed. (They finally noticed when a friend came over and gasped at the weight loss, my room mate had a drink in her hand and dropped it on the floor)

Anyhow, not the right way to do it, but I was studying all about nutrition during that time. I did not exersize at all. I had no energy! But I do now 5 days a week at the gym. I've kept it off for 20 years.

The key is NO fast food NO soda for me. I don't do garbage anymore. No Pizza, rarely eat desserts and lots of vegetables. Cut out alot of red meat.

by Anonymousreply 710/12/2013

Lost 50 pounds once; 35 once; 30 another time. But the highest ever weight keeps going up.

by Anonymousreply 810/12/2013

I lost 185 pounds overnight!

How? I kicked my lying ass, cheating boyfriend out.

by Anonymousreply 910/12/2013

R9, lol. good riddance i suppose...

Congrats on everyone's weight loss, i'm trying to lose the last 20 pounds. Need to cut out junk...

by Anonymousreply 1010/12/2013

As boring as it might be, with Weight Watchers points I lost 55 pounds in a year, I know it's not sensational, but I am happy.

by Anonymousreply 1110/12/2013

You'll have to watch what you eat. You need to eat a high protein and low carb diet to induce your body to ketosis - that is, instead of the body burning glycogen for energy, it burns stored fat instead.

Also check out shirataki noodles. These Japanese noodles have 0 carbs, 0 fat, and less than 5 calories per serving. They basically have no nutritional value at all but they fill you up. Top these noodles with a high protein meat like turkey or shrimps, and with a low-fat, home-made pasta sauce, you can have a filling meal with very little carbs and fat.

by Anonymousreply 1210/12/2013

Plan, envision and then enact. Two years ago I was well over 190. I had a college reunion in a few months and then a trip which required a bathing suit. Good motivations. I just started to eat sensibly. No obvious sugar. Protein at every meal. Lots of fruit and veg and fiber. Never be full and never be hungry. Water and seltzer and black coffee. I was still able to drink vodka/seltzer on the rocks. Avoid all other beverages. Oh yeah, I also went to the gym at least 6 days/week and worked out very hard. Sometimes too hard. I have had a few injuries, but it is so worth it. I'm now 54 and weigh 160. I'm 6' tall. You have more currency thin. People treat you much better. You want to try on and buy new clothes. Everything is easier. Contemporaries may be jealous and drop you as a friend. Oh well, everything comes with a price. You'll meet new friends.

by Anonymousreply 1310/12/2013

I lost 135 pounds in about nine months. Ate only raw vegetables and one serving of oatmeal per day. Exercised about three hours daily.

I'm a female and was 29 when I dieted. Yeah, I was morbidly obese.

by Anonymousreply 1410/12/2013

I lost 70lbs in 7 mos.... From a high of 220. People do treat you better. I cut out all processed sugar and refined carbs. I eat scrambled eggs in the morning and protein and steamed vegetables. All my headaches are gone and it's great to fit into clothes again. I never want to go back. Once you cut out the unhealthy carbs you will drop weight very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 1510/12/2013

I lost 30 lbs in 3 months when I went backpacking around Europe right after college. I don't know why, but probably from all the walking I did when touring around. Also maybe from always running to the train station because for some reason, I always end up "almost" missing my train (poor time management skills).

by Anonymousreply 1610/12/2013

Congrats and well done to everyone who has shed the excess pounds.

About 5 years ago, I lost 80 lbs after being in denial about my weight for a long time. An embarrassing incident forced me to finally take action. I'm much happier now.

by Anonymousreply 1710/12/2013

European wheat is not genetically modified. That's why they can eat bread and not gain weight like we do here.

by Anonymousreply 1810/12/2013

Eat less, move more...works for everyone everytime.

by Anonymousreply 1910/12/2013

25 pounds in 4 weeks. Salads, fruit, chicken and fish, I even ate cheese. No bread pasta, potatoes or rice.

by Anonymousreply 2010/12/2013

100 pounds in 9 months - from 300 (the most I ever weighed) to 200.

I did a high protein low/no carb diet with a full on cheat day on the 7th day (basically once a week) in combination with heavy lifting weight training 2-3 days a week. Went from a 40" to 33" waist.

by Anonymousreply 2110/12/2013

On my 29th birthday, I wouldn't weigh myself because I thought I'd be over 200 pounds, so I resolved to lose 50 pounds and get back in shape. I cut myself to 20 grams of fat per day, ate lots of fruits and vegetables, and started working out like I did in high school. By my 30th, I was 145 - a bit too thin for my height - but it was worth the effort. And I'm happy to say I've stayed below 160 for over a decade. I don't run like I used to as the knees are giving out, but I swim, ride my bike, go to the gym, and hike in the summer and ski in the winter. You just have to commit to exercise, watch what you eat, and stay away from sugar and high fructose corn syrup.

And if you're not overweight, don't let yourself get overweight. It's much harder to lose than maintain.

by Anonymousreply 2310/12/2013

6'1" here. I went from 249 to 180 in about eight months. I simply cut out wheat, sugar and dairy. (Well, there was nothing "simple" about it. It was damn hard.) And I walked five miles a day.

That was twelve years ago. I eventually phased all that stuff back in, but I've kept the pounds off. I eat pretty much whatever I want, only in moderation. And I love to exercise now.

In retrospect, I wish I had done weights and stuff at the gym at the time and not just the walking.

by Anonymousreply 2410/12/2013

5"7 female here. When I initially lost weight, I went from a little over 180 to 148 by upping my protein, cutting sugar and lifting frequently; I lost the weight rapidly thanks to lifting. But a new job/new schedule had me at wheat products for a bit and too slowed down to go to the gym so I gained.

I've been re-taking it off echoing the methods of a lot of posters. I cut out wheat and refined sugars for the reason R18 states - the sugar/protein ratio of GMO wheat is ridiculous and the second I reintroduce wheat into my diet I pack on pounds if I don't lift. I eat sustainable cuts of meat and try to make my diet as plant based as possible. No cows milk but cheese is ok.

R12 great tip on the Japanese noodles! I do zucchini noodles but they only taste alright with savory sauces like marinara to balance out the sweetness of the zucchini.

by Anonymousreply 2510/12/2013

Female here. The year I turned 38 I lost 60 pounds in a year just by cutting out carbs, going from 195 to 115. Over the past decade I've crept back up to about 165. I want to get down to 130 - at 115 I was too thin and I'm never gonna wear size 3 jeans again.

I've done the low-carb thing but the pounds just don't melt off like they used to. Looks like I'm gonna have to get off my butt to lose 35.

by Anonymousreply 2610/12/2013

Not trolling, but who had success with GAINING weight? I'm tired of being a twig, but everything is aimed at people trying to lose weight.

by Anonymousreply 2710/12/2013

R13, what does well over 190 lbs. mean? According to this chart, if you were between 160 and 196, you were already at your ideal weight. How fat could you have been? A 34 waist?

by Anonymousreply 2810/12/2013

I have tried low carb/ high protein but I gain weight on it and feel nauseous.

by Anonymousreply 2910/12/2013

When I was overweight, my number 2's were literally about a foot long, and I went frequently. When I would look this up on the Internet, I found nothing except for hippie sites saying this was great. Now that I lost the extra weight (about 25 pounds), I don't have this anymore. Does anyone know why heavier people can have this issue?

by Anonymousreply 3002/14/2014

[quote]Also check out shirataki noodles.

What are these like? I do zucchini noodles and spaghetti squash, but they get so watery. Are these noodles the same?

by Anonymousreply 3102/14/2014

For those who said they've increased their fruit consumption - what fruits are/were your eating?

I've heard that bananas and grapes are no-nos. I eat an orange/tangerine every day, either at breakfast or lunch.

Also, I've been eating baby carrots on my drive home (between 5 and 6). Are they OK?

by Anonymousreply 3202/14/2014

The shirataki noodles have to be washed extremely well (they come in a briny rinse) and boiled for a minute or two afterwards, otherwise they taste like rubber bands. They are meant to be used in cheesy sauces like an alfredo-type rather than tomato sauce. I am not a fan, but they are at Whole Foods if you want to try them. Baby carrots, per my dietician, have a lot of sugar per serving so watch your portion size and pair them with a protein snack like a hard boiled egg.

by Anonymousreply 3302/14/2014

Female here. 31, 5ft 102lbs. Forced to do lifestyle change, because of bad health. Was diagnosed with GERD, 3 years ago, and it was tearing me up bad. Lost 30 lbs. Completely cut out Soda, and Fast Food. I mostly drink lots of water, and eat in moderation.

by Anonymousreply 3402/14/2014

I see loose skin

by Anonymousreply 3502/14/2014

Anyone have any tips on how to lose the last 10-15 lbs.? I lost about 100 lbs., and now the scale won't budge.

by Anonymousreply 3602/14/2014

80lbs, to my goal weight - off for 5 years

This is how I did it:

Breakfast: Black coffee and a slice of whole grain toast with 2 tb skim ricotta and berries, or one egg on toast, or a home made healthy fiber muffin.

Lunch/Dinner: I have a ton of recipes I love, so on Sunday night, I cook about 3 or 4 of them, then freeze them in single portion containers averaging around 300/400 calories. Turkey chili, Soups (corn chowder, pea soup, butternut, chicken, etc) - or Chicken curry, Wheat pasta with home made sauce and chicken meatballs, halibut and vegetables. Or I'll have a salad. Super, because I always had a delicious meal ready to go. Sometimes I'd add brown rice or vegetables depending on the dish. Just heat up and it's ready to go - perfect portion size. I also portion snacks for the week. Fruit, yogurt, nuts, etc (see link) I still do this, so I have ready made meals for lunch at work, or if I'm feeling too lazy or exhausted to cook dinner at night, or if I get home late.

Other dinners: Grilled chicken breast, a whole mango (cubed), half of an avocado, a cup of greens (usually arugula) and 2 TBS of balsamic dressing. (my current favorite)

or

Grilled chicken with 1/2 sweet potato and 1 cup green vegetables

or

Small grilled lean steak with grilled corn on the cob and other grilled vegetables

My calories are always 1500 or under. Gym 3 times a week (to get tight and toned - it works!)

What worked for me was to make it easy to have variety, plus take the time to PORTION everything out. I can eat like a fucking pig - I didn't get fat by eating normal portions, so I weighed and measured my portions to make sure I didn't overdo it. Now I can eyeball portions and know what is acceptable so I can maintain my weight.

Also, I ate bread and pasta!! (shudder!) and still lost weight. I even had a glass of wine now and them. It's all about balance and moderation, which was a bitch at first, but ultimately, the best thing I have ever done. Also, when I went to France and Italy, I happily ate carbs without feeling guilty and enjoyed every bite. My poor friend was on Atkins and was miserable. On the last few days he ate enough bread, sugar and pasta for all of the people in Rome.

by Anonymousreply 3702/14/2014

Photo of meal prep:

by Anonymousreply 3802/14/2014

No

by Anonymousreply 3902/14/2014

I'm having a problem. Not only did I hit a plateau, but I've actually starting gaining weight now.

Nothing in my weight loss routine has changed. I jog every single day, and eat the same types of foods, and the same types of activities.

My weight plateaued for one solid year. No movement. But lately, I have actually gained seven pounds, and I'm completely confounded and frustrated by this.

Any help or ideas?

by Anonymousreply 4002/14/2014

Here is a tip: when you're looking at a banana cream pie, say to yourself:

"Self: If I eat that I won't lose weight."

Case. Closed.

by Anonymousreply 4102/14/2014

No simple carbs. I lost 30 lbs in 2 months. I ate very well and was never hungry. Fruits, salads, cheese, chicken eggs and fish. Couldn't believe how easy it was.

by Anonymousreply 4202/14/2014

R27, just gain weight by gaining muscle.

Dont worry about being too thin, just make sure you eat enough and lift weights. Whenever people talk about someone needing to "gain weight" they always tell them to eat more, which will do nothing except for add fat to your body. You can gain weight, look better, and have more mass BUT still look lean and fit.

I used to be too underweight, till I focused on gaining muscle. I've studied nutrition, kinisiology, exercises and fitness, but I'm actually in school for bio chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 4302/14/2014

R1 here again. Down a total of 113 lbs.; still have 52 to go.

by Anonymousreply 4402/14/2014

Those of you who had dramatic weight loss, did your hair fall out (i.e. telogen effluvium)? I heard that happens when someone loses a lot of weight in a short period of time.

by Anonymousreply 4502/14/2014

How do you fix the flabby sections that remain after losing a large amount of weight, WITHOUT plastic surgery? It's impossible, right?

by Anonymousreply 4602/14/2014

I'm about 150 pounds now, so the weight-loss thing is working well. Come to find out I have cancerous tumor, so that explains the weight-loss. Now, I've got a 100-pound tumor wondering how it's going to lose 50 pounds....

by Anonymousreply 4702/14/2014

Just a heads up for anyone who lost at least 40/50 pounds without dieting or exercising or "doing anything."

That is a sign that you might be pre-diabetic or even diabetic. Losing that amount of weight in such a short time without help is not a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 4802/14/2014

Once, I went on a diet for a month.

by Anonymousreply 4902/14/2014

You no carb queens crack me up. What boring fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 5002/14/2014

I lost 40 pounds over the past year. According to my doctor's tests, I'm not diabetic or pre-diabetic. I ate less but not in any formalized way. I didn't cut any foods out of my diet or take up exercise. I was more mindful of portions and had fewer sweets. I've never been a big alcohol or soda drinker so that stayed about the same.

I'm not sure that losing weight has to be as rigid and exhausting as some of these posts make it sound.

by Anonymousreply 5102/14/2014

For those of you who cut out soda, what worked for you?

I have tried going cold turkey, tried gradually decreasing my consumption, tried only having one glass a day; nothing seems to work. (I do have some problems related to OCD, so could the difficulties in stopping the soda possibly be related? As in, the compulsive behavior.)

by Anonymousreply 5202/14/2014

R46 Usually, if you have flabby skin, it is because you either 1) lost too much weight in a very short amount of time or 2) you lost a very significant amount of weight.

Try doing muscle toning exercises. Or using firming creams. Other than that, I really cannot help.

by Anonymousreply 5302/14/2014

And this saddens us.

by Anonymousreply 5402/15/2014

I lost a couple of stone and am now actually underweight. How? No limitation on food choice. My trick was I wrote down everything I ate each day in a little diary and set a calorie limit. The act of writing it down made me aware and accountable for everything that went in my mouth. Its easy for the calories to add up by what seems like harmless picking. The act of writing it down discouraged me from snacking beyond the main meals. If I did snack it got written down and added to the total. Seeing it on paper made me correct it the next day by having a little less. It all worked. I can't say i was super motivated, desperate or anything. I just wrote it all down and continue to. After a while you get to know the calorie count of everything and its pretty easy journalling it all. Takes about 3 minutes work each day.

by Anonymousreply 5502/15/2014

my fitness pal. Put in your info and track everything you eat. Read the message boards. I've been losing 10 lbs a month and its been so easy I can't believe it. I eat anything I want, moderation is key. I haven't even started working out yet, will start this spring.

by Anonymousreply 5602/15/2014

Can you imagine going out to dinner with one of these Datalounge carb queens? It would be insufferable.

You: "The broccolini ravioli looks nice."

Datalounge Carb Queen: "Bring the chef out. He's trying to KILL us!"

by Anonymousreply 5702/15/2014

Good luck to everyone taking off the weight and keeping it off. I have two friends -- one a man and the other woman -- who both lost a lot of weight. [Not a couple, they don't even know each other.] But, unfortunately, in recent months, I've noticed that both of them have put it all back on. I really thought that the woman would make her diet and fitness routine stick because she seemed so dedicated to it. The guy is a heavy drinker and not that interested in any exercise, so I'm not as surprised about him.

by Anonymousreply 5802/15/2014
Need more help? Click Here.