Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

NBC Thursday Night now getting less viewers than Univision, TBS

Bob Greenblatt is making Jeff Zucker looks like Brandon Tartikoff.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 3410/13/2013

NBC is getting fewer viewers, not "less viewers".

That's the extent of my interest in this subject.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 110/11/2013

Parks and Recreation tied The Vampire Diaries....how low can you go.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 210/11/2013

[quote] Sean Saves The World and Welcome To The Family only managing a 1.0 and 0.8, respectively, in their second week on the air.

And it was just a couple weeks ago that DL'ers were insisting that Sean Hayes is a comic genius and a national treasure whose new show would surely be a huge hit.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 310/11/2013

Que lastima. Tal vez la red considere transmitir en un idioma que los norteamericanos de hoy entienden.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 410/12/2013

[quote]And it was just a couple weeks ago that DL'ers were insisting that Sean Hayes is a comic genius and a national treasure whose new show would surely be a huge hit.

I think these "DL'ers" in which you refer represent a demographic that no advertiser wishes to pursue.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 510/12/2013

So the return of Sean and Michael J. is a bust ? Haven't been following . Watched Sean's show once, and was bored. Watched 5 minutes of Mike's and tuned out. Will NBC go back to the Fred Silverman days ?

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 610/12/2013

Does any of NBC's ratings have to do with the MLB postseason games?

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 710/12/2013

Sorry, only one of us can ride a wave of dumb comedies into ratings gold.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 810/12/2013

Where is Community?

That'll get me to tune in.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 910/12/2013

Shame on you R9. TBBT is the most intelligent show ever presented in the television medium. It has to be, because it's about scientists!

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 1010/12/2013

Haha r11, so deserved.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 1110/12/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 1210/12/2013

NBC is the home of comedies so edgy, they're not actually funny.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 1310/12/2013

Other than nudity or swearing - hurdles that might actually be cleared with relative ease - what prevents the networks from doing cable quality programming?

Without debating the quality of the scripts, Downton Abbey is the big thing now, why wouldn't a network have tried to buy the rights? (bad example - a season is eight episodes.)

But Downton was pulling in an average 11 - 12 million viewers per episode for PBS.

Breaking Bad 5 - 6 million, granted after the build.

I've always thought CBS should move the Young and the Restless to night time. It's cheap. With slightly better scripts and directing they could pull a respectable audience relative to the costs of production.

Are the numbers for quality too low for the networks to try? Or is cable/PBS vs network the demographic and intellectual dividing line?

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 1410/12/2013

Y&R at night would not be cheap, R15. They'd have to film it under a different, much more expensive, SAGAFTRA contract.

For the most part, cable audiences are small. Admittedly that distinction is disappearing, but still it holds. It's a rare cable series -- Walking Dead, for example -- that gets ratings like broadcast series.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 1510/12/2013

[quote]I've always thought CBS should move the Young and the Restless to night time. It's cheap. With slightly better scripts and directing they could pull a respectable audience relative to the costs of production.

What a monumentally stupid idea.

[quote]For the most part, cable audiences are small. Admittedly that distinction is disappearing, but still it holds. It's a rare cable series -- Walking Dead, for example -- that gets ratings like broadcast series.

It's not that rare. That Duck Dynasty show gets ratings any of the networks would kill for. On Wednesday night, AHS Coven beat everything on the networks except Modern Family in the key demo.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 1610/12/2013

[quote]AHS Coven beat everything on the networks except Modern Family in the key demo.

Oh great. Something else for those cunts to gloat about come Awards season. I can just see the smirk on Bowen's face now.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 1710/12/2013

Sean Saves the World & the Michael J. Fox shows aren't great. But the CBS sitcoms are just as bad if not worse, and they're doing comparatively well. Why?

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 1810/12/2013

Parks and Recreation is one of the all-time great comedies. It's a shame so few watch it. It's genuinely funny and warm, like the Mary Tyler Moore Show, and clever like Seinfeld.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 1910/12/2013

In the mid-90s, I seem to recall Y&R airing a few episodes in the evening. Obviously it didn't work out like CBs hoped if the idea was abandoned.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 2010/12/2013

CBS asked Y&R to do those shows to provide counter programming to the World Series.

Also, this was in the era of Central Park West -- before Raymond, Survivor and the CSI hits.

Bill Bell wasn't a fan of doing shows at night.

Those shows were tricky; he didn't give anything away so that people only watching during the day didn't get screwed -- but he had to put some oompf in those night time shows.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 2110/12/2013

I sort of like the Sean Hayes show.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 2310/12/2013

I watched the Sean show and so far only Linda Lavin and the dude playing his boss seems to understand that the series is supposed to be high camp and not high art.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 2410/12/2013

who plays his boss?

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 2510/12/2013

NBC has won the first two weeks of the season in the key demo. They will likely win this week as well. Thursday nights are a mess but overall, they are improving but you knew that already, OP. Fox's continued collapse is a bigger story. This is two straight years of giant losses in ratings.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 2610/12/2013

I just watched the Michael J. Fox show on a whim and I was surprised - it was actually GOOD/fun to watch. I thought it was going to be a cheapo three-camera sitcom like Three and a Half Men but it was shot in a way that was almost cinematic/indie. I was getting Royal Tenenbaum vibes from it, for whatever reason. The bratty kids DEFINITELY need to be toned down - the stupid redhead kid who sits on counters and says nothing and the surly/bratty high school girl need to go or something needs to change there. The kid who dropped out of college and came back was good, though. I loved the chick who played Michael J. Fox's sister. I'll watch the other episodes.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 2710/12/2013

This is what happens when you let a gay guy run your network.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 2810/13/2013

The only reason the network hasn't collapsed is because they dished big money for the rights to the NFL on Sundays, and the Voice-fueled Mondays and Tuesdays. The rest of the week is a disaster.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 2910/13/2013

Weren't they going to convert 30 Rock into a big Lohman's?

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 3010/13/2013

Their Fridays haven't launched yet. So they are dominant on Mionday, Tuesday. Their Wednesdays stink and Thursdays are a disaster. Fridays will be competitive for them. Overall, a work in progress but better than the network has been. Even though you're rooting against the gay guy.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 3110/13/2013

Network TV still gets better ratings than most cable channels. It is just recently that some cable shows are getting higher ratings. Scripted cable TV has more prestige, but they still are getting lower ratings than the supposedly crappy network shows.

I also agree with the poster about the strange distinction between network. it is not like most cable TV shows even curse or show nudity a lot. Yet they have a very different tempo. There is no reason why network TV can't create quality TV similar to basic and premium cable.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 3210/13/2013

I also think it is funny and strange that the networks complain about loosing younger viewers, but they do nothing to try to get under 40 viewers. Fox and the CW channels are the only channels that even try to cater to younger people. It is like the networks don't genuinely want younger viewers.

by Simon Halls's Bag of Orangesreply 3310/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.