Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Actors who DON'T know their limitations

Jessica Biel - complains that she's too pretty to be taken seriously. No, hon, you aren't taken seriously is because you can't act.

by Anonymousreply 6710/13/2013

Justin Timberlake

by Anonymousreply 110/11/2013

Meryl Streep.

by Anonymousreply 210/11/2013

Gwyneth Paltrow

by Anonymousreply 310/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 410/11/2013

Jake Gyllenhaal. He is good in sensitive dramas, terrible in action movies. He thinks he's a macho action dude but he just isn't.

by Anonymousreply 510/11/2013

Mark Wahlberg

by Anonymousreply 610/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 710/11/2013

When Whoopi Goldberg called Rob Reiner to say she wanted to play the Princess in The Princess Bride

by Anonymousreply 810/11/2013

George Clooney

by Anonymousreply 910/11/2013

Thank God Munro's got one of these.

by Anonymousreply 1010/11/2013

Glenn Close. When she tries to portray a woman

by Anonymousreply 1110/11/2013

Brad Pitt.

He can't play anything but modern American dopes, but he keeps trying to play historical figures, foreigners, non-humans, etc. He may own this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1210/11/2013

To me, Jake Gyllenhaal is kind of boring in those "sensitive" films. I liked his last three movies. That one where he plays a bald headed cop, who gets shot in an alley was really good.

He was bleeding out, and gurgling and it looked very realistic. He's a good actor. I like the one where the train keeps blowing up, too. But honestly, it's his looks. There's nothing he can do to make himself ugly. The boy is beautiful, as far as I'm concerned.

I saw Prisoners with my sister and my mother, and my sister said she thought he was the kidnapper, but that's where he fails, IMO. If he had been the real kidnapper that movie would've bombed.

He can't play mean & evil. He's best as just the average guy. Put it another way. I saw American Psycho on TV a few weeks ago, and Christian Bale was excellent. Jake could never play that kind of character. He isn't edgy enough. Not even close.

Jessica Biel has been poorly handled by her representation. If not having talent and not being able to act was a hindrance, there are a lot of famous people out here, successful people, who wouldn't have stood a chance, because they definitely have no talent.

by Anonymousreply 1310/12/2013

Biel was funny in that movie where she played a soldier in Iraq but looked like she was doing a Loreal commercial.

by Anonymousreply 1410/12/2013

Theda Bara

by Anonymousreply 1510/12/2013

I would imagine those actors who are limited are in some way conscious of their limitations. I know my mother is.

by Anonymousreply 1610/12/2013

Joan Fontaine

by Anonymousreply 1810/12/2013

Jennifer Aniston owns this thread.

I never "got" Jennifer Aniston. She is not just ordinary, she is mediocre and forgettable. Yet, she is constantly hyped, written about, followed un the media, as if every time she farts it's important. And really only the people who'd have to smell it would care, right?

I cannot understand why anyone except her agent and her publicist give a flying fuck about her. She's loaded with money, too. That stupid TV Series, Friends, was the most banal shit I ever saw. I mean honestly.

Sometimes, when a show becomes the "in" thing to watch, I'll check it out, and I'm invariably disappointed when it comes to network sitcoms. The only exception was 30 Rock. I loved 30 Rock.

by Anonymousreply 1910/12/2013

R17, you are attracted to...???

by Anonymousreply 2010/12/2013

I don't get why they'd choose an actor for Brokeback Mountain who has an obvious nose job and Nascar Talladega eyebrows. Very anachronistic.

by Anonymousreply 2110/12/2013

R21 It's because most of us can't tell when someone's had a nose job, nor have any fucking idea what a Nascar Talladega eyebrow is. Not nearly as anachronistic as you wish it were.

by Anonymousreply 2210/12/2013

"If not having talent and not being able to act was a hindrance, there are a lot of famous people out here, successful people, who wouldn't have stood a chance, because they definitely have no talent."

Not only does Biel not have talent, she has no charisma or personality either. And she doesn't stand out. She should stick with being a Maxim pinup.

by Anonymousreply 2310/12/2013

Seriously, what are Talladega eyebrows?

by Anonymousreply 2410/12/2013

James Franco

by Anonymousreply 2510/12/2013

"James Franco"

I used to love him, now I'm just sick of him. His Hart Crane movie was awful. He thinks he's the next Scorsese but he's not.

by Anonymousreply 2610/12/2013

Ben Affleck. TERRIBLE actor. Yet he casts himself in the films he directs.

by Anonymousreply 2710/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 2810/12/2013

r19, Actually, Jennifer Aniston was pretty funny when she guest starred on "30 Rock." However, for the most part, I share your feelings about her.

by Anonymousreply 2910/12/2013

John Leiguizamo

Chris Rock

by Anonymousreply 3010/12/2013

What has mark wahlberg surpassed his limitations on? I thought he was pretty good in his short, scowling white man roles. Ps, not dissing, he is or used to be hot as hell.

by Anonymousreply 3110/12/2013

Aniston DOES know her limitations. Many have even called her lazy as hell. All she does is play light Friends-like comedy. If you asked her if she ever dreamed of an Oscar, she'd probably laugh in your face and wipe her tears of mirth with a 100 dollar bill.

by Anonymousreply 3210/12/2013

Cast of Friends.

by Anonymousreply 3310/12/2013

Sarah Jessica Parker

by Anonymousreply 3410/12/2013

Robert Pattinson/Kristen Stewart - they feel that their precious, unique talents were hindered by Twilight and the poor dears are really serious artistes. Meanwhile, they both SUCK as actors.

by Anonymousreply 3510/12/2013

r35, god, yes, I finally saw the last episode of SATC and her impassioned speech to Baryshnikov about "real love" was just painful to watch. Her failed post SATC career must be a reality check.

by Anonymousreply 3710/12/2013

Sarah Jessica Parker and Jennifer Anniston seem to be the very definition of actors who know their limitations, and stick to frau-bait comedy.

Reese Witherspoon, on the other hand, has the same limitations as they do, but keep trying to make serious dramas that are out of her range. "Water for Elephants", "Rendition", even Thackaray's "Vanity Fair" for chrissakes! All duds, but she doesn't learn.

by Anonymousreply 3810/12/2013

Jessica Biel is not untalented--she was actually funny in an over-the-top way in the otherwise hideous VALENTINE'S DAY. Same thing with RULES OF ATTRACTION.

But she stunk up the joint in the film version of Noel Coward's EASY VIRTUE as a madcap American heiress. Really... not good.

Like a lot of her colleagues, she can't do period. She doesn't do "classy" well. But she can play that sexy, contemporary, and absurd combo better than some other names listed here. Maybe she needs a good sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 3910/12/2013

Brendan Fraser

by Anonymousreply 4010/12/2013

Jessica Biel's best and only memorable performance was in her last story arc on Seventh Heaven as 'bad Mary' Camden. This was right before she ditched the show to go onto bigger and better things. Mary, the once standout student athlete turns into an irresponsible brat, getting drunk, smoking pot, abandoning a child she was asked to look after, telling the Reverend to fuck off. The parents' reaction was priceless as they watched Mary hit rock bottom. She was everything that Seventh Heaven wasn't and that is what made it great. That storyline was the only watchable moment in an extremely saccharine show.

by Anonymousreply 4110/12/2013

r39, you must have missed the horrible Aniston movie in which she played a con artist/faux rape victim. And I'm happy for you.

by Anonymousreply 4210/12/2013

Excuse me? Excuse me!

I nominate Julia Duffy.

by Anonymousreply 4310/12/2013

Keanu Reeves has maybe eventually accepted his limitations now, I don't know, but his woodenness, slow thinking style and terrible attempts at accents were trials in movies like Bram Stoker's Dracula and Much Ado About Nothing. He's OK playing a goofy, dumb, good looking guy. And his "wheels slowly turning" vibe also suits something like the Matrix where he's a guy trying to puzzle something out who doesn't have to talk too much. That's about it.

Keanu's co-star in Dracula, Wynona Ryder, also needs to stay away from doing accents.

by Anonymousreply 4410/12/2013

Most current and former A-List Hollywood stars suck at accents. Michelle Pfeiffer in "The Age of Innocence" was cringeworthy as well.

by Anonymousreply 4510/12/2013

[quote]The parents' reaction was priceless as they watched Mary hit rock bottom. She was everything that Seventh Heaven wasn't and that is what made it great. That storyline was the only watchable moment in an extremely saccharine show.

Agree 100%

I was half expecting the Camdens to perform an exorcism on Mary. The mom was the worst.

by Anonymousreply 4610/12/2013

Hilary Duff. Jesus, does this chick not know how to act or what?! Faye Dunaway was right to call her out for not being a real actress. I saw her try to act in Law and Order: SVU and it was painful. Lindsay Lohan was considered her rival in the mid-2000's and it's a shame she went the way she did--she was much more interesting and a much better actress than Duff.

by Anonymousreply 4710/12/2013

R48 = Dina

by Anonymousreply 4810/12/2013

R49, lol, no. As much a train wreck Linsday was, she was less annoying than Hilary and she was a somewhat capable actress. Hilary Duff should have just quit after the Hilary duff show or whatever that disney show she was on.

by Anonymousreply 4910/12/2013

I'll probably get stoned for saying this, but I think Hillary Duff can actually act. She was pretty good in this little movie called Greta, but all the other flicks she was in were made for stupid 9 year old girls so she couldn't show any acting range even if she wanted to. She sure ain't Meryl Streep, but she's not as bad as some people say she is.

by Anonymousreply 5010/12/2013

I still want to know what Talladega eyebrows are...

by Anonymousreply 5110/12/2013

Do personal lives count?

by Anonymousreply 5210/12/2013

I thought Jessica Biel was to die for in The Illsionist...

by Anonymousreply 5310/12/2013

Gentlefolk, I give you Tom Cruise in "Interview with the Vampire."

by Anonymousreply 5410/12/2013

Well, she eventually learned, but Julia Roberts owned this crown for years.

by Anonymousreply 5510/12/2013

R55 First Tom Cruise movie I didn't see.

by Anonymousreply 5610/12/2013

Tom was actually good in Vampire. Better than I expected.

by Anonymousreply 5710/12/2013

Keira Knightley

Kate Hudson

Cameron Diaz (her only better than average performance was the bridezilla cunt in "Very Bad Things")

by Anonymousreply 5810/12/2013

Gabourey Sidibe.

Good at playing obese oppressed people. Poor at playing anything else.

by Anonymousreply 5910/13/2013

Gabby's black Hitler was awesome.

Loving her on AHS, too.

by Anonymousreply 6010/13/2013

[quote]Jessica Biel - complains that she's too pretty to be taken seriously. No, hon, you aren't taken seriously is because you can't act.

Same exact deal with Jessica Alba. I've seen a few magazine interviews with her, and she's ALWAYS bitching about how no one takes her seriously as an actress because she's always being cast in "female sex symbol" type roles. Honey, you owe your whole fucking career (and your millions of dollars) to your hotness. Do you think you could maybe just be happy with that and shut the fuck up? You're not Bette Davis.

by Anonymousreply 6110/13/2013

What is the purpose of starting a thread like this when you KNOW the trolls are going to smell blood and attack it? Go back and look at that first page?

Oh, and by the way, the answer-supreme is Janet Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 6210/13/2013

I'm sorry, but Kristin Bell owns this entire thread. She can definitely act - her limitation isn't in her acting range. It's in how desperately she worked for a couple of years there in bomb after romcom bomb doing her damndest to become the next Reese Witherspoon. She was terrible as the plucky hapless romcom heroine because her on-screen persona always sharp, abrasive, smart and pushy. I think even Entertainment Weekly's review of her last bomb called her out on how perpetually miscast she was when shoehorned into these America's Sweetheart kinds of roles. She is not sweet or endearing; if she would embrace that, she could probably make a pretty decent go of a movie career. She's excellent as the hard-nosed bitch in House of Lies.

by Anonymousreply 6310/13/2013

Kristen Bell, I meant.

by Anonymousreply 6410/13/2013

Tom Hiddleston.

by Anonymousreply 6510/13/2013

Jessica Biel is not even pretty and that goes for the rest of these losers who are mentioned on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 6610/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!