Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How Did Ronald Reagan Get Two Historic Wins?

WTF?! Was everyone coked out of their minds??

by Anonymousreply 8610/13/2013

Did you flunk history class, Jayden? He was hugely popular.

by Anonymousreply 110/11/2013

I don't get it either, OP, and I lived through it. I remember in the 1960's Reagan was a joke, a right-wing nutjob. I was 25 in 1980 and I couldn't believe how things had changed in just a few years. I guess it was the "silent majority" who were pissed off at the liberalism of the 60's and 70's.There were "Reagan Democrats" - blue collar types and Southerners. The Reagan Presidency was when the rot set in, no doubt about it.

by Anonymousreply 210/11/2013

racism - disguised as a genial bumpkin from the West.

by Anonymousreply 310/11/2013

US was in a gas crisis, hostage crisis etc. Carter was neutered as a president. Reagan pushed the trickle down economics theory which even bush called voodoo economics. Reagan grabbed the party and the nomination by a combination of fear of Russia and a promise of tax cuts and a better economy. Reagan won a second term simply because the US was in a better place under 4 years of Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 410/11/2013

R1 is an idiot who can neither read nor reason, but manages a reflexive, irrelevant attempt at a snark. The OP wasn't questioning the obvious fact of his popularity. That's why he won. The issue is why was he popular.

The answer, OP, is that Americans, after assassinations, Vietnam, Watergate, economic doldrums and the irritation of a preachy Jimmy Carter, wanted to play "We're Number One!!" without thought, regret or responsibility.

Thus, a pre-senile (and then senile) actor who played off three or four themes - all general, warm and comforting to the American ego - became president as the shill for the military and its corporate partners.

And they managed to continue their fun with the Bushes - not that they did poorly under Clinton, who they systematically cornered for eight years.

Coke? No. Worse. Jingoistic Irresponsibility. And we've suffered ever since.

Did you know that before Reagan credit card interest was deductible? Think how your personal finances would have been affected if just that one little matter hadn't been screwed into our lives.

by Anonymousreply 510/11/2013

How did he win? Propaganda, it will work every time.

We need to learn how to use it. You just keep quoting the same lines, time after time, even if they are lies. If they are lies, you quote them all the more...it always works for Republicunts.

by Anonymousreply 610/11/2013

In 1980, Carter had just come off a bruising primary against Ted Kennedy. For 4 years Carter tried talking to Americans like adults, regarding things like energy conservation, but Americans would rather put their fingers in their ears and not listen (see: Bush, George W). The hostage crisis was dragging on, mortgage rates were well over 10%, and Carter looked weak. In comes the cowboy on a horse, with made up stories about 'welfare queens' and 'young bucks' preferring living off the system to having a job, and people bought it.

In 1984, a brilliant TV capaign convinced people it was 'Morning in America'(it wasn't), and again, they bought it, not realizing Reagan was like the favorite uncle arriving on Christmas morning with armloads of presents, all purchased on the family's credit card.

He ballooned the deficit, expanded the federal government, ignored AIDS, traded arms for hostages, illegally funded the Contras, and most egregiously, made it acceptable to demonize poor and working class people. A vile man.

by Anonymousreply 710/11/2013

It is simple convince the lower middle class all of their problems are because of the poor, that the democrats will tax you and give all your money to shiftless blacks and mexicans. I

by Anonymousreply 810/11/2013

R5 is absolutely, positively, 100% correct.

Well done, R5.

by Anonymousreply 910/11/2013

[quote] In 1980, Carter had just come off a bruising primary against Ted Kennedy.

I think it was worse than bruising. At the end of the convention Kennedy acted like a spoiled child.

After Nixon and Ford - the Democrats should have been able to stay in the White House for 3 terms.

by Anonymousreply 1010/11/2013

R7, interest rates were around 19% and people were afraid that we were going to turn into a banana republic any second. People had adjustable rate mortgages and were unable to afford them. Then there was the hostage situation, where a rescue attempt was bungled on Carter's watch. They would have voted for Lassie over Jimmy Carter in 1980.

As far as the second time, I think people were still feeling stung from earlier and afraid to trust the dems.

by Anonymousreply 1110/11/2013

Democrats didn't offer any better alternatives. Carter was insular, ineffective and weak. Four years later, Mondale was seen as an even weaker joke and lost by the largest margin ever.

by Anonymousreply 1210/11/2013

Racists, religious wackjobs, and greedy white mediocre men were pushing back against social progress, upward class mobility, and the sexual revolution.

by Anonymousreply 1310/11/2013

it was the economy, stupid

by Anonymousreply 1410/11/2013

After the assassination of JFK, The Vietnam War, Watergate, rampant inflation, the ever present Cold War and malaise the nation was defeated and DESPERATE.

Then there appeared a smiling old man from Hollywood who pledged to bring America back...

by Anonymousreply 1510/11/2013

[quote]I remember in the 1960's Reagan was a joke, a right-wing nutjob.

he was a washed-up flunky actor who everyone remembered mainly from "bedtime for Bonzo" a monkey film.

that he won at all shows a great mystery to politics.

by Anonymousreply 1610/11/2013

What bugs me is that bitch Swank got two wins...

by Anonymousreply 1710/11/2013

As I said, all propaganda. Lies and more lies. He gave the military billions, claiming that Russia was about ready to defeat us...nothing could have been further from the truth.

Then he told us we could trust the rich but not the unions.

Then he told us welfare mothers were all black and they were all robbing us blind.

Nothing he said was true but Americans loved it and news readers never corrected his lies.

That was pretty much the beginning of the end for the middle class.

Reagan should be the most hated man in the history of the USA.

by Anonymousreply 1810/11/2013

at least with Reagan, we had order!

by Anonymousreply 1910/11/2013

Again, R5 is an almost perfect explanation.

Also, and I know many Dataloungers will view this with contempt, Nancy used a good astrologer.

by Anonymousreply 2010/11/2013

[quote]Did you know that before Reagan credit card interest was deductible? Think how your personal finances would have been affected if just that one little matter hadn't been screwed into our lives.

r5 sounds poor

by Anonymousreply 2110/11/2013

you are funny r22

by Anonymousreply 2310/11/2013

[quote]Did you flunk history class, Jayden? He was hugely popular.

But why, dumbass. That was the question!

by Anonymousreply 2410/11/2013

r22 is the Raygun troll. We had threads in the past about the treasonist fuck, and Raygun troll always shows up.

by Anonymousreply 2510/11/2013

But he won the Cold War!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2610/11/2013

Let's be truthful, Ronald Reagan appealed to most white people. White people were like, this is our guy and he's gonna help us out. Baby Boomers saw him as "daddy" and were going to let them take all the cash for themselves and fuck everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 2710/11/2013

no, more like Russian LOST the war.

by Anonymousreply 2810/11/2013

[quote]. Baby Boomers saw him as "daddy" andn. . .

dumb ones. my both white parents were both disgusted for different reasons by His stupidity and Her (yes, nancy) elitism. My parents both, being even from different political parties, voted against him twice.

to no avail.

they are both long gone now but would be equally disgusted by the political ignorance on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 2910/11/2013

I think Reagan got lucky.

The Dems gave him the election.

Clearly the 1980 Democratic primary showed us that even though Carter had won in 1976 - very few other elected Democrats were willing to do much to make his presidency a success.

It's like that old joke about Democrats - when they form a firing squad it's a circle.

by Anonymousreply 3010/11/2013

People who imagine that there is no legitimate reason to despise Ronald Reagan either weren't there or are too stupid to understand the extend of the damage he did to the country.

They're akin to the people who insist on making Richard Nixon the Undead and trying to rehabilitate him. Really, kids, you should just leave him dead. You have no idea what he was actually like as POTUS.

by Anonymousreply 3110/11/2013

I hate him and I have every right to. He was really the worst thing that ever happened to this country, if you exclude the Civil War.

I wished he had lived to be well over a hundred, suffering every day...because he caused so much suffering in this country.

by Anonymousreply 3210/11/2013

[quote]Then there was the hostage situation, where a rescue attempt was bungled on Carter's watch.

Meanwhile, behind the scenes, Reagan's team was working with Iranian terrorists to *prevent* the hostages from being released until after the election! Those were treasonous acts. THey were working directly against the president of the USA, abetting the enemy, to ensure political victory. Horrible stuff.

The other horrible stuff was tconvincing working people to vote against their own economic interests by brainwashing them into thinking the government was their enemy. From FDR (and before) until Reagan people rightly saw the government as protect and defending the most vulnerable. No more.

by Anonymousreply 3310/11/2013

[quote]Meanwhile, behind the scenes, Reagan's team was working with Iranian terrorists to *prevent* the hostages from being released until after the election!

Was this ever proven?

by Anonymousreply 3410/11/2013

Troll strikes again!

by Anonymousreply 3610/11/2013

R33 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 3710/11/2013

Oh trust me...even back then the things that were being done to brainwash the people, was very visible and heart breaking. You just had to watch, there was nothing you could do. It was overwhelming because the press was completely caught up in the propaganda. They didn't care if the truth got out, they just wanted the people to tune in...so the lies were tolerated. It was a complete take over by the Military Industrial Complex and The CIA. Something they started with Viet Nam and the murder of JFK.

by Anonymousreply 3810/11/2013

R35 - here's an article about it in NY Times. Although not conclusive, what we know now about Bush et al. it's not a huge leap to believe it is true.

Hardly tinhat considering all the other shit Republicans have done.

by Anonymousreply 3910/11/2013

The pendulum swings back and forth.

In the 1920s Liberals and "intellectuals" were just as vehement about Warren G. Harding and Calvin Coolidge.

by Anonymousreply 4010/11/2013

He was a creative genius. Would today have been his birthday?

by Anonymousreply 4110/11/2013

R40 - and were they wrong? Harding was awful.

by Anonymousreply 4210/11/2013

This board could be worth visiting if more of us were competing to be R5, rather than R1

by Anonymousreply 4310/11/2013

[quote]Was this ever proven?

You even doubt it?

by Anonymousreply 4510/11/2013

Reagan was an actor, and he fooled the USA into believing that he was presidential.

by Anonymousreply 4610/11/2013

he seems pretty presidential to most of us

by Anonymousreply 4810/11/2013

Read any Mencken, R44?

And, btw, F&F for "jizz chin turd burglars." You write like the 'mos troll after a dip in a thesaurus.

by Anonymousreply 4910/11/2013

If not for George W Bush, Reagan would be the worst president in the history of the nation. And if it weren't for the AIDS crisis, he'd still be the most negligent due to emptying the mental health institutions into the streets, arming them, and giving rise to the terrible homeless and violently mentally ill population that we deal with to this day. And he armed and worked with "freedom fighters" in Afghanistan to fight the Soviets, whose leader was one Osama bin Laden, leader of what would morph into al-Queada. Is it just a coincidence that his Secretary of Defense was Dick Cheney?

Yet, when he left office, he was enormously popular. The people loved him. He made them feel happy and irrationally exuberant, as though the American century would last forever.

by Anonymousreply 5310/12/2013

Carter and Mondale.

by Anonymousreply 5410/12/2013

Carter was in the dumper long before the 1980 election because of the lousy economy, oil embargo, and events beyond his control. What some like to forget or don't know: Carter couldn't communicate well to the public; he wouldn't communicated with Democrats in congress because of his my-way-or-the-highway mentality.

Reagan was the likable happy daddy figure, and people liked that. Eugene McCarthy, of all people, ENDORSED Reagan because he was so sick of Carter's ineptitude. I'm not saying Reagan was good, but you must realize what a dud Carter was.

by Anonymousreply 5510/12/2013

To this day, he is the ONLY President the rightwing can claim as their own great American. But let's face it, the greatest heroes of American politics who truly shaped this nation for the better were all left-leaning and liberal minded. The Roosevelts, the Kennedys, Lincoln, hell, even Eisenhower (since the Republican party has all but forgotten him). Then there are peripheral left leaning heroes such as Martin Luther King and Ben Franklin would have never fit in with the Reagan agenda.

Reagan is ALL they have. That is why he's so popular, because he unites them and is a common thread of the Republican party. Even Thomas Jefferson, the founder of the GOP, has been vilified by the rightwing.

Reagan is a lot like Fox News' popularity. There are far more liberal voices on TV competing against one another, but Fox News appeals to one hard demographic and they all flock to that network to hear what they want to hear. That is why Reagan is the deity of the rightwing underworld.

Trolls like r22 would place Reagan higher on the list of important Americans than Washington, Lincoln, MLK or Ben Franklin. And they have, just a few years ago when Discovery Channel did a poll of who was the greatest American. And guess who was the champion of St. Ronnie? Ann Coulter.

That's all you need to know.

Anyone who worships Reagan is hugely ignorant of American history and the greater Americans who've come and gone before him.

Fuck you trolls, Reagan's shoveling shit in hell now. I hope he has perma-AIDS in hell.

by Anonymousreply 5610/12/2013

Reagan had a great knack of making America feel good about itself again after the disasters of the Nixon and Carter years when the economy went downhill and the Cold War seemed to be going the way of the Soviet Union and China. He was a charismatic figure who with Nancy brought the glamour back to the White House which it had not had since JFK and Jackie.

Mind you Gore Vidal had some great quotes on Reagan:

"Yesterday the Reagan Library burned to the ground. Both books were destroyed. But the real tragedy is that Ronnie hadn't finished coloring them yet."

"I'm part of the furniture. I've been on TV for over 30 years. And look what TV did for Ronald Reagan. It's all a bit chilling."

"He is not clear about the difference between Medici and Gucci. He knows Nancy wears one of them."

"As the age of television progresses the Reagans will be the rule, not the exception. To be perfect for television is all a President has to be these days. "

"triumph of the embalmer's art".

“our acting president.”

by Anonymousreply 5710/12/2013

The first was a reaction to the Iranian hostage crisis which made Carter look weak. The second was because Mondale was a traditional liberal out of tune with the mood of the country.

by Anonymousreply 5810/12/2013

R57, not the Nixon and Carter years, more like the FORD and Carter years, 1974-1980.

by Anonymousreply 5910/12/2013

Again, Ronald Reagan was the worst thing that ever happened to our middle class and without a strong middle class, we are just another third world country.

This president who is loved the most is the one who did us the most damage.

Reagan and his people were pretty much the beginning of the end for America. I wish I had died in the 70s, so I wouldn't have had to watch it. I remember thinking, surely Americans aren't dumb enough to elect this old actor...boy, was I wrong.

by Anonymousreply 6010/12/2013

[quote]This president who is loved the most is the one who did us the most damage.

I love you, too.

by Anonymousreply 6110/12/2013

Because he was TERRIFIC!

by Anonymousreply 6210/12/2013

r60 I've been beating this drum for many years, thank you for encapsulating what so few people realize or refuse to understand. His anti-union stance; his "Daddy will take care of everything" shtick; his screwing of the middle class, and on and on, are the reasons we have what we have today. He convinced so many Americans to vote against their best interests, and that it was good for the average Joe to vote Republican. That worked out particularly well, didn't it? His first election was a head-scratcher, the 2nd was incomprehensible. And that debacle of the hostages being freed so coincidentally with his win, was too much to bear. Why didn't half the country see the wheels turning? In fairness, I know it wasn't all Reagan, because I feel he was being propped up with drugs, and manipulated by some of the oiliest handlers we've ever had the misfortune to suffer from. Thanks Ronnie, I hope your writhing in hellfire for eternity.

by Anonymousreply 6310/12/2013

Reagan was the worst thing to happen to this country. His administration set in motion EVERYTHING that plagues this country today... including 9/11 and its after-effects. Dubbya is a close second.

by Anonymousreply 6410/12/2013

The mentality of conservatives:

by Anonymousreply 6510/12/2013

I've posted this before. My very wise and prophetic grandfather, who btw passed away on this day in 1984, said in 1980 that if Reagan wins an evil will come to this country that will never go away. It was like he was looking into a crystal ball.

by Anonymousreply 6610/12/2013

Reagan appealed to those who thought blacks and gays were becoming *gasp* equal to whites.

The late 70's were about having fun and forgetting about the trials and tribulations of the previous decade and a half. But there were a lot of people who hated that.

They hated that women were being every bit as sexual as men and not apologizing about it.

They hated that homosexuality was starting to creep its way into the mainstream like it had never had done before. Anita Bryant's crusade turned into public mockery. And disco (music made largely for minorities and gays) replaced rock and roll on the top of the charts.

In short, a lot of Republicans were scared shitless. Is it an accident that Reagan's rise came at the time of the "disco sucks" backlash?

Reagan was marketed as a return to good old fashioned values. An Eisenhower wet dream. Of course, it was the right's version of family values, which meant that white upper middle class and above were normal while everyone else was not. But the public was too taken with Reagan's charm in 1980. Add to that Jimmy Carter essentially having his hands tied. The real blow was when Kennedy, unfortunately, decided to run against him.

by Anonymousreply 6710/12/2013

R59 But Watergate and the Vietnam War of the Nixon years all added to the malaise

by Anonymousreply 6810/12/2013

Reagan was completely owned and run by military corporations. All you have to do is look at his record for spending and you know who got him elected and who owned him.

Rush Limbaugh is the disgusting mouthpiece for those people. He does a great job for them and he should have been put in his grave, over 30 years ago. If only. The world would have been further along if Hitler had been aborted and this country might have been fine, if Limbaugh had been aborted.

by Anonymousreply 6910/12/2013

My mom had a painting of JFK hanging in the living room when I was growing up and even she voted for the old fuck.

It's like people were hypnotized, mesmerized by his voice.

I don't know.

I've forgiven Mom, but I haven't forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 7010/12/2013

Jimmy Carter was president at the wrong time. If Ford had won in '76, there wouldn't have been a President Reagan. Ford was a centrist. I hate to say it, but Jimmy Carter shouldn't have won in '76, he's a good man but a lousy politician. Ford would have inherited the lousy Nixon economy and a good Democrat could have been elected in '80.

It wasn't Reagan's competence that got him elected twice, it was who he was running against.

by Anonymousreply 7110/12/2013

This topic has come up before and as in the past there is very little rational analysis that answers the question, "How Did Ronald Reagan Get Two Historic Wins?"

Instead there is therapeutic ranting.

by Anonymousreply 7210/12/2013

I have wondered this myself. I know that in 1980, there was also the Reagan Revolution where a lot of Republicans were elected to Congress. But in 1982 many of them lost reelection. This was in part due to the poor economy of the early 80s. But by 1984 Reagan wins an enormous landslide. Was the economy really that good by 1984? We know now that the economy of the 80s was built on a weak foundation - at least for the middle-class on down.

I guess my question is, what made people feel like deregulation and Reaganomics in general were the way to go? Sheer greed? Racism? Myopic thinking re: the economy? All three? I know the US has shot itself in the foot many times, but it's astonishing to think how much havoc was wreaked by Reagan and his cronies and how much people embraced him at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 7310/12/2013

I'm 51 now...

If you were white, chances are you like d Reagan.

He won because we didn't know better then. We actually thought he would make us all rich. He told Mr. Gorbachev to tear down that wall, as we all snickered that Mrs. Gorbachev had an American Express card.

Apologies to everyone, because every major problem we have today can be traced to that functional retard...

but we didn't know better... Fuck.. We also gave you Madonna

by Anonymousreply 7410/12/2013

People still refer to themselves as Reagan Democrats. Why is the Democratic Party so chickenshit to dismantle the "Reagan legacy"? Republicans have no problem trashing Jimmy Carter. I remember when Bill Maher said that Reagan was probably gay, and there gasps from the audience. Even liberals are afraid to trash him. He's seen as a grandfather figure or something.

by Anonymousreply 7510/12/2013

Obama's grandmother loved Reagan & Obama himself speaks of Reagan glowingly, which makes me think that he supported him and voted for him at that point.

by Anonymousreply 7610/12/2013

Obama's grandmother? Oh, the white lady that would cross the street is a black person was walking towards her? It be interesting to hear who Obama voted for.

by Anonymousreply 7710/12/2013

The economy was doing very well after the Carter years. It was part of the "greed is good", showing your wealth off is good mentality.

Remember what happened in the '80s. Oil was 10 dollars a barrel. 10 bucks. We were awash in oil and China was not yet the competitor for resources as China is today.Of course the economy was doing good. How could it not? Plus, at that time the needy were ignored, tossed off welfare and into the streets. The housing bubble began.

Jump forward to the year 2013. A shrinking supply of oil and many, many more people wanting a share. Research the term Peak Oil and you will see. You will see the connection between shrinking oil reserves, the housing bubble and the banking fiasco.

And don't panic when you make the connection.

by Anonymousreply 7810/12/2013

Yes, r73, it was greed. People were tired of the gas rationing, the shortages and dreariness of the '70s. They wanted the opposite of the counter-culture inspired '70s. They got it alright. I often heard people say we have to get this country back on its feet again, with disgust.

Plus, Ronnie was an actor. He knew exactly how to charm the audience, how to toss in a smile, a charming twinkle in his eye, how to dramatically say, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall." He knew how to sway an audience.

by Anonymousreply 7910/12/2013

R7 ad R13 are speaking the truth. They thought Carter was weak. I was a child then but would have voted for Carter is given the chance.

by Anonymousreply 8010/12/2013

Ditto what r67 said. The upper middle class, white, conservative folks wanted to have all the power and call all the shots. The country and culture were changing. They were scared shitless.

by Anonymousreply 8110/12/2013

He won because American's will believe any feel good story anyone tells them as long as it's wrapped up in the flag.

I hated Reagan. I remember when he got shot and they said he was dead. I almost did a cartwheel and I cannot do one. My parents were very upset but I told them that I hope he does die, 41 gets in and then we get a decent president.

To this day I refer to him as the leaky brain idiot.

by Anonymousreply 8210/12/2013

Yes, I was so in hopes he would die from his wound but no such luck.

by Anonymousreply 8310/12/2013

Oh yes your Grandfather was correct r66. Any of us with intuition and good sense, knew how something really horrid had happened and we've had to watch it play out. We still see no hope for the future.

I think it also goes back to the warning that Eisenhower gave the voters, so many decades ago. A warning that we didn't heed.

by Anonymousreply 8410/12/2013

The best is that Republicans said the prosperous years of Clinton were the result of Reaganomics.

by Anonymousreply 8510/13/2013

Yes, I'm always amused at the republican denial.

by Anonymousreply 8610/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.