Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you think that attractive people sometimes hate on ugly yet confident folks?

I'm curious because I've seen some conventionally attractive women (this may happen with guys too but I've only seen it with women so far) who will absolutely hate on less attractive yet confident people. The attractive folks will always come up with snide reasons why someone would be interested in the ugly person--because they're easy, because they have low standards, etc. And while some of that may be true, it still reeks of entitlement--as if ugly don't deserve to feel good about themselves?

Has anyone noticed the same?

by Anonymousreply 1010/12/2013

I think you need some new friends, OP.

by Anonymousreply 110/11/2013

Attractive people generally hate on everyone.

by Anonymousreply 210/11/2013

OP, you're spot-on. Just makes me adore the ugly confident person.

by Anonymousreply 310/11/2013

Only catty women and catty gay men do this.

by Anonymousreply 410/11/2013

Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 610/11/2013

Ugly people can learn to be funny to get us to like them.

by Anonymousreply 710/12/2013

I guess this is sort of similar, OP, but I was reading a thread elsewhere about a body-building forum where a member posted pictures of a very plain, average-looking geeky teen guy with a lot of attractive teenage girls - kissing him, flirting with him, and in one of the Facebook pictures he identified one of them as his girlfriend. The very picture of a teen "player", but with glasses and pimples.

The forum went ape-shit over the photos trying to figure out the story behind them - why would these girls be all over this complete dork? Was he rich and buying them gifts? Did he secretly have a huge dick? Was he gay and they were just friends? I think the guy himself eventually showed up in the forum and countered some of the assumptions being thrown around.

And I think what was offensive to these body-building forum members (whom you can assume are concerned about their bodies and appearance) was that the guy seemed to be breaking "the rules" and how they understood the world worked. Guys don't get with hot girls unless they have looks, money, a huge dick, or they're gay and just friends. In fact, that's probably why so many of those forum members are interested in body-building - so they can get hot girls. And anything that contradicts that worldview - that suggests someone is reaching the same goal without putting in the time and energy they're expending - has to be explained away or dismissed.

Which is a long way of saying, I think a lot of attractive people grow up learning that the world operates according to a set of rules - their looks entitle them to attention and deference, etc., and therefore it's paramount that they try to maintain their looks for as long as they can. And anyone who appears to get attention and deference without looks (or power, or money, etc.) has to be "explained away" - a slut with low standards, etc. - because they threaten the attractive person's worldview.

by Anonymousreply 810/12/2013

R8 Very interesting points.

by Anonymousreply 910/12/2013

That's women. They all hate each other.

by Anonymousreply 1010/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!