Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Actors who know their limitations

Let this thread be a celebration of the Ellen Pompeos, David Schwimmers, and Courtney Thorne Smith...actors who never felt bigger/better than the shows that made them rich and...known. For every Shelley Long, Katherine Heigl, or Joe Mangianello, there are grateful (and unremarkable) actors who realize they'll never have it better. That's awesome.

by Anonymousreply 2710/13/2013

Marina Sirtis (Deanna Troi)

by Anonymousreply 110/11/2013

Most of the Knots Landing cast knew they were lucky to get nighttime pay for a soap.

by Anonymousreply 210/11/2013

Channing Tatum has given interviews talking about how he knows he isn't a great actor and he is trying to get better.

by Anonymousreply 310/11/2013

Cary Grant...and his recent incarnation, George Clooney.

by Anonymousreply 410/11/2013

John Stamos

by Anonymousreply 510/11/2013

R2: is the guy at the link the one who played Jeffrey Bardwell on Y&R?

by Anonymousreply 610/11/2013

Courtney Thorne-Smith has truly had an amazing career. Melrose Place to Ally McBeal to According to Jim to Two and a Half Men. She has literally been on TV almost constantly for 20+ years. Another one is Tiffani Thiessen. Saved by the Bell, 90210, White Collar, and a few less successful things in between. She has worked remarkably steadily for the last 25 years.

by Anonymousreply 710/11/2013

I'm surprised Tiffani Thiessen stuck around this long. Proof that people really can escape from the kid show ghetto.

by Anonymousreply 810/11/2013

Heather Graham. She even admitted in an interview that she didn't master an English accent for "From Hell" and didn't want to do a role that required an accent ever again.

by Anonymousreply 910/11/2013

This describes at least 50 percent of recent Academy Award nominees.

by Anonymousreply 1010/11/2013

Joshua Morrow has said a number of times he knows how lucky he has been, playing Nick Newman all these years: "It could be anyone playing this part."

by Anonymousreply 1110/11/2013

I always felt Susan Lucci at some level knew her limitations as an actress and knew she had a better chance of making her splash as one of the queens of daytime than leaving to try and make to make it big on primetime. She was savvy enough to negotiate time off for other projects while maintaining and marketing her identity as soap royalty. This branding has kept her a lot busier than had she left her soap and been on a prime time series for a few years in the 80's, and has kept her working steadily when the role of Erica Kane finally ended.

by Anonymousreply 1210/11/2013

Most soap actors get it, that they will never do anything except soaps. Some try other things, but they usually fail.

by Anonymousreply 1310/11/2013

Tiffani has done very well.

by Anonymousreply 1410/11/2013

Yeah, I think Lucci made the right choice by remaining a soap queen and doing the occasional guest spot or tv movie. Worked out well for her.

by Anonymousreply 1510/12/2013

Well, you know we're never gonna see Cote de fucking Pablo on the big screen. Ever. This season's Gary Burghoff...

by Anonymousreply 1610/12/2013

Steve Carell owns this thread. He's admitted he has no idea why he's become such a star, given that he's not handsome, can't act particularly well, and doesn't play the games.

He's either a great actor in interviews, or he really is modest.

by Anonymousreply 1710/12/2013

"Well, you know we're never gonna see Cote de fucking Pablo on the big screen. Ever. This season's Gary Burghoff..."

Gary Burghoff - now there's a name of the "Whatever Happened to..." variety...

by Anonymousreply 1810/12/2013

David Schwimmer? Huge asshole while he was doing Friebds. They ALL thought they were going to have huge movie careers. The most realistic of the lot was Lisa Kudrow.

Schwimmer may be better now that he knows he's lucky just to get TV work, much less movies.

by Anonymousreply 1910/13/2013

I know David Schwimmer. R19: Please explain further why he supposedly was a 'huge asshole' whole taping "Friends." Schwimmer never thought he would have a huge film career.

by Anonymousreply 2010/13/2013

I think Carell is very handsome.

by Anonymousreply 2110/13/2013

Brad Pitt probably shouldn't be on this thread, but he did use to say in the 1990s that he wasn't a very good actor, and that he wasn't very smart

by Anonymousreply 2210/13/2013

I thought David Schwimmer was interested in stage, not screen? Tell me if Heather Locklear counts, she's been working consistently on TV since the 80's, is not a particularly good actress, and I don't think is known for being a pretentious cunt. I think she's happy doing what she's doing and it made her rich. No stage or feature films for her, right?

by Anonymousreply 2310/13/2013

[quote]Most soap actors get it, that they will never do anything except soaps. Some try other things, but they usually fail

I thought a lot of movie actors cut their teeth on soaps.

by Anonymousreply 2410/13/2013

Sam Waterston took the train in from CT to NYC everyday reading scripts for L&O. He said he would play Jack McCoy until he couldn't do it anymore or the show was cancelled.

He is a FANTASCTIC actor and realized how lucky he was.

by Anonymousreply 2510/13/2013

R25 - FANTASTIC

by Anonymousreply 2610/13/2013

Jennifer Aniston.

by Anonymousreply 2710/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.