Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dan Savage

Why do DLers hate him?

by Anonymousreply 3510/12/2013

I wouldn't call it hate. He's just a self-promoting phony.

by Anonymousreply 110/11/2013

What's to love? Or even like?

by Anonymousreply 210/11/2013

This will not end well.

by Anonymousreply 310/11/2013

He's out and successful. Perfect storm for DL hatred.

by Anonymousreply 410/11/2013

He's a winner.

by Anonymousreply 510/11/2013

Borderline racist.

by Anonymousreply 610/11/2013

He's a fugly asshole who reinforces the worst stereotypes about gay men while trying his hardest to appear "normal" (which is why he got married and adopted a kid despite being a world class narcissist). I take issue with someone so fundamentally damaged having the nerve to offer others advice.

by Anonymousreply 710/11/2013

I think R7 nails it.

I'm not sure what he adds to the conversation. To me, he seems superfluous, syphoning off what fame and money he can from the gay cause.

by Anonymousreply 810/11/2013

I don't hate him, but there's not much to love.

He seems just clever enough always to posture for his own benefit, but never clever enough to display any real insight. He's not novel, not amusing, not consistent, provides no good synthesis of anything, rather he's just flippant enough to keep the spotlight on him. His talent is in being reasonably adept at doing whatever it takes, to play to or against expectation just enough to keep the attention on him for a few seconds more. He rides the coattails of a gay community of which he holds himself up alternately as exemplar or outsider (but without which he'd be lucky to be writing unread music reviews for the Spokane City Paper.)

by Anonymousreply 910/11/2013

Dan Savage receives the love and respect from straight people that I deserve.

He is my modern-day Mason Reese.

by Anonymousreply 1010/11/2013

His husband's inner whore is busting from the seams. Serves Dan right.

by Anonymousreply 1110/11/2013

The straights aDore him

by Anonymousreply 1210/11/2013

He's a halfway decent writer, but he's also been lucky. He found a good shtick and he rode it hard, which is the case with most successful nonfiction writers.

I don't hate him, but I wouldn't ever take guidance from him. I do think it's true the reason most DLers hate him is that he's successful and high-profile.

by Anonymousreply 1310/11/2013

It has nothing to do with envy, always the standard response for people who don't want to be bothered seeing a person for who they really are. For someone who fights for gay rights, he has a very narrow viewpoint. And yes, he can be nasty and arrogant.

I also agree with R9. He alternates between spokesperson for the community and fringe outsider when it's convenient for him. Usually, when he's trying to get his ass out of trouble for running his mouth. He just doesn't strike me as being a happy person content with his life.

by Anonymousreply 1410/11/2013

[quote]His husband's inner whore is busting from the seams. Serves Dan right.

Since the two have acknowledged an open (or "monogamish") relationship, I don't know that it really matters. By the way, hubby didn't want this kind of marriage -- at least originally -- but Dan told him it was this way or the highway.

by Anonymousreply 1510/11/2013

[quote]By the way, hubby didn't want this kind of marriage -- at least originally -- but Dan told him it was this way or the highway.

Perfectly played by hubby - stroke Dan's ego knowing you're going to get what you want in the end anyway: an open relationship.

by Anonymousreply 1610/11/2013

Let's see, supported Bush until he realized it would hurt his cred. Committed vote fraud as a stunt. Wrote a book on gay families in which he said his motive for wanting children was fear of getting fat. Bizarre streak of puritanism in the sex advice column. Trophy husbear. To sum it up, he's a Republican suburban housewife from Chicago who never would have become a celebrity if he hadn't at one time or other attacked gays like an old freeptard. Yes, his "it gets better" thing was good. And he has done some work on "normalizing" us to straights. But let's get real. In order to break into fame and fortune, he had to sell his soul to the right. And he did.

by Anonymousreply 1710/11/2013

Dan Savage is a critic of Obama, saying he hasn't done enough for LGBT rights.

He says gays voted for him, and Obama hasn't fulfilled any of his promises/

by Anonymousreply 1810/11/2013

[quote]The straights aDore him

We do?

by Anonymousreply 1910/11/2013

I like him well enough, he seems fine. I don't know why anyone could be bothered to hate him. He's not interesting enough to engender strong feeling of any kind.

by Anonymousreply 2010/11/2013

"Trophy husbear" is an oxymoron.

And his husband doesn't look like a bear to me.

by Anonymousreply 2110/11/2013

His husband is shaved to the gills. Husbear? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 2210/11/2013

His writing panders too much to straight people.

Like others, I don't hate him, and I give him credit (as someone already has) for the "It Gets Better" campaign, which I really think is an valuable contribution. If he had done just that and nothing else, he'd be a real role model, AFAIC.

He's just kind of too much of an attention whore for me to admire him much.

by Anonymousreply 2310/11/2013

I don't even know Dan Savage but a frau I know loves him. Can someone give me the low-down on him please?

by Anonymousreply 2410/11/2013

I liked his book "Skipping Towards Gomorrah" a lot, but having heard him after on a Slate podcast, he seemed rather obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 2510/11/2013

Because he's ugly.

by Anonymousreply 2610/11/2013

Only some DLers hate him, and it's because he's good-looking and successful and he has what he wants.

by Anonymousreply 2710/12/2013

He got half of America to post "it gets better" videos and compiled the transcripts into a book that he sold for his own personal profit. He preys on lgbt people for profit.

by Anonymousreply 2810/12/2013

[quote]Savage donated his profits from the book to charitable organizations dedicated to assisting lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender young people.

by Anonymousreply 2910/12/2013

Other posters have articulated my thoughts. I want to add that I'm very wary of people that claim to like him. Either they're morons who never do a full research and take things at face value; or they're despicable enough to like the man for what he is and share his fucked up views.

Can we also stop hailing the man as a hero for "It Gets Better"? All that campaign is is a vehicle for his narcissism - it just SO HAPPENS that there were positive side effects to it (I'm not even going to open the can of worms that is the MYRIAD flaws with IGB...).

Also, OP = Dan "thirty-three" Savage

by Anonymousreply 3010/12/2013

He 29 I know that its on Wikipedia but cannot find the Chicago Sun Times reference and also know when the book came out the press materials made no mention of the proceeds going to any charity and the books press agent was non responsive. I do know that the money raised for the video project went to Savages husband for his work "editing" the submitted videos.

by Anonymousreply 3110/12/2013

[quote]Only some DLers hate him, and it's because he's good-looking

"Good-looking"? Can you SEE?

by Anonymousreply 3210/12/2013

He's kind of disgusting. I've really only see him on Maher and MSNBC, and he's always so nasty. He's the typical "gay spokesman" who has to inject some kind of sex reference in almost every sentence for the shock value. You know the type. Gross. Grow up already. And, not that it matters, but he's not the handsome one, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 3310/12/2013

[quote]His writing panders too much to straight people.

How?

by Anonymousreply 3410/12/2013

He's witty, provocative, and intelligent. He has gay sensibilities, from his stance on many topics, to taking full advantage of everything going for him in the looks department (well, we are on a gay board, and let's admit that looks are as important as intelligence as far as we're concerned). I don't appreciate his stance on many topics, but that's just a matter of opinion. Which is not to say that I can't like him or not based on what he says and does. And I have to say there is something irritating about him. So, I more or less tune him out.

by Anonymousreply 3510/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.