Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Children from same-sex households much less likely to graduate high school: large study

Yeeeeeah huh....

BURNABY, British Columbia, October 9, 2013 (LifeSiteNews.com) - A new large-scale study by a Canadian researcher has found that children in same-sex households were only 65 percent as likely to graduate from high school as those living in traditional opposite sex marriage families.

In the preface to his new study study Douglas W. Allen, professor of economics at BC's Simon Fraser University, notes that while almost all previous studies of same-sex parenting have concluded there is “no difference” in a range of outcome measures for children who live in a household with same-sex parents compared to children living with married opposite-sex parents, his analysis of a large random sample taken from the 2006 Canada census suggests otherwise.

Allen used a massive 20% sample of the census data to identify self-reported children living with same-sex parents, and to examine the association of household type with children’s high school graduation rates.

The random sampling allowed for control of parental marital status such as single parents and unmarried opposite sex parents, distinguished between gay (male) and lesbian (female) families, and was large enough to evaluate differences in gender between parents and children.

Besides lower overall high school graduation outcomes for children in same-sex households, the study found that daughters of same-sex parents had lower graduation rates than sons, and that daughters of homosexual male couples have significantly worse graduation rates than the daughters of lesbian couples.

Among boys in same-sex households, those in homosexual male households fared better than those in lesbian households.

An unexpected finding was that children of single parents had higher graduation rates than children in same-sex households.

"The particular gender mix of a same-sex household has a dramatic difference in the association with child graduation,” Allen wrote. “Consider the case of girls. . . . Regardless of the controls and whether or not girls are currently living in a gay or lesbian household, the odds of graduating from high school are considerably lower than any other household type. Indeed, girls living in gay households are only 15 percent as likely to graduate compared to girls from opposite sex married homes." The study corroborates the findings of another large-scale study by Mark Regnerus, a sociology professor at the University of Texas at Austin.

In his conclusions to the study, Allen states that "children of married opposite-sex families have a high graduation rate compared to the others; children of lesbian families have a very low graduation rate compared to the others; and the other four types [common law, gay, single mother, single father] are similar to each other and lie in between the married/lesbian extremes."

The Regnerus study, titled "New Family Structures Study", had unearthed alarming disparities between the two family models, from increased risk of suicide attempts and unemployment rates to sexual abuse. While gay activists had vilified that study and asked his university to punish him, the University of Texas later announced that after an investigation it had found nothing wrong with the study.

In an article published in The Witherspoon Institute's Public Discourse, Mark Regnerus commented that Allen's research provides "a new and significant piece of evidence in the social science debate about gay parenting and the unique contributions that mothers and fathers make to their children’s flourishing."

Regnerus points out that unlike US-based studies, Allen's study evaluates a 20 percent sample of the Canadian census, where same-sex couples have had access to all taxation and government benefits since 1997 and to marriage since 2005.

"While in the US Census same-sex households have to be guessed at based on the gender and number of self-reported heads-of-household, young adults in the Canadian census were asked, 'Are you the child of a male or female same-sex married or common law couple?'" Regnerus said. "So the study is able to compare—side by side—the young-adult children of same-sex couples and opposite-sex couples, as well as children growing up in single-parent homes and other types of households."

"The study’s publication continues the emergence of new, population-based research in this domain, much of which has undermined scholarly and popular claims about equivalence between same-sex and opposite-sex households echoed by activists and reflected in recent legal proceedings about same-sex marriage," Regnerus stated.

"Might the American Psychological Association and American Sociological Association have been too confident and quick to declare ‘no differences’ in such a new arena of study, one marked by the consistent reliance upon small or nonrandom ‘convenience’ samples? Perhaps. Maybe a married mom and dad do matter, after all," he concluded.

The study by Douglas W. Allen, titled "High school graduation rates among children of same-sex households," was published in the September edition of the journal "Review of Economics of the Household."

by Anonymousreply 2010/12/2013

The social conservatives in both parties will love this!

by Anonymousreply 110/10/2013

Correlation does not imply causation.

by Anonymousreply 210/10/2013

"Douglas W. Allen, professor of economics at BC's Simon Fraser University..."

I majored in Blue Steel there, with a minor in Lurking.

by Anonymousreply 310/10/2013

Your thread is worthless without a link, OP.

Questions:

What was the exact sample size of children reporting they come from a same-sex household?

What IS the graduation rate of children from same-sex households?

What IS the exact size of this 20% that keeps getting mentioned?

by Anonymousreply 410/10/2013

What do you want to bet they just looked at the percentage of children who were high school graduates and didn't adjust it for gay couples having more young children who aren't old enough to have graduated?

This was not a "study," this was a blatant attempt to misrepresent Census data to manipulate public opinion against gays.

by Anonymousreply 510/11/2013

Hetero with three children who goes to Bible camp. Apparently farm-raised.

by Anonymousreply 610/11/2013

The brainless doofuss actually wrote a book on the economics of Jane Austen, saying social snobbery was all because of the poor state of measurement science and not because the upper classes were twits.

Once again, a fake study, fake "academic," fake everything.

by Anonymousreply 710/11/2013

And why a 20% sample of Census data since all he was doing was parsing it by computer anyway? Why not the whole sample? Strikes one as a big of fraud and skullduggery, like maybe he manipulated the sample to get the outcome he wanted.

by Anonymousreply 810/11/2013

If you comb through his reviews at Rate My Professor, most are positive, though there's this:

[quote]What an incredibly condescending and unapproachable prof. He made me feel stupid every time I talked to him (and I got an A+). His book is full of typos in the solutions to his problem sets. Most arrogant and intellectual dishonest professor I've met. Oh, & he thinks that global warming and H1N1 are just hoaxes to make people fearful.

And this:

[quote]He pushes his religious beliefs on us...i feel a bit converted lol... If i didnt get an A- i would hate this guy tho not going to lie. Prob best and hardest teacher you will ever have. When u read Candide, make sure u remember the first page on Chp 1 for the final :P

And this:

[quote]a very upsetting person. made fun of prostitution and a "life on the streets" in lecture. thinks he's hilarious and has an arsenal of scripted jokes but makes it obvious that underneath he is a cold, disturbed little economist. Asks questions on exams that have nothing to do with economics, but rather things like 'celebrity diets that doug's tried

And this (apparently he teaches the course from his own textbook):

[quote]Textbook is garbage. I think it almost tried to convert me to Christianity.

Aaaaand this:

[quote]I took his course over 10 years. I still get nightmares thinking about it. He is a fundamentalist Christian whose real agenda is to push his religious beliefs. Don't know how he gets away with it. He once told me that his office window has been broken several times by angry students. That tells you all you need to know!

Another:

[quote]Cooky Jesus Freak.. funny how he could be teaching such a rational subject and claim to "talk to god"...

And another (though to be fair, this one sounds like a moron):

[quote]da not a fair maker and should not bother to mention his right wing views in class

And what a surprise! He hates gay people:

[quote]Bigot. Went to his office hours and he made [fun] of my "mannerisms".

And is sexist:

[quote]Horrible prof. Lectures are entertaining but spends too much time of useless crap like indepth examples of farming his family. at times offensive to women. content is advanced but doable, text book sucks, recommend not to take 103 with this prof he really isn't any good if you wanna understand econ

Hmm, so an arrogant fundie with a right wing agenda conducted this study. Guess he was trying to score one against the "gay agenda."

Can't believe this POS is teaching at a Canadian uni with complete impunity. But then, that's probably why he likes teaching first year Econ; easy to intimidate/impress teens who are unlikely to make formal complaints.

by Anonymousreply 910/11/2013

Assuming this professor is a giant homophobe, I feel sorry for this guy's kid because, based on the pictures in the link at R6, his son seems gayer than Christmas.

Also, why would a study of high school graduation rates among children of same-sex households be published by a professor of economics in a journal called "Review of Economics of the Household"?

What the hell does economics have to do with high school graduation rates, children, same-sex households or any combination of those factors?

by Anonymousreply 1010/11/2013

He looks like one of those control freak men who snap one day and go out in a murder/suicide blaze.

by Anonymousreply 1110/11/2013

What IS the proper usage anyway? Drives me crazy ..

graduated high school graduated from high school was graduated from high school

by Anonymousreply 1210/11/2013

Assuming the data is right, the reading of these findings, as always, is a result of personal agendas. So here are some questions one could ask.

Is there a correlation between social acceptance of students by their peers and the rate of graduation and are children from same sex household tend to be less accepted socially, hence what these findings are, again, yet another indication of homophobia?

And is the school system itself fully allowing these children AND their parents to feel equal and fully wanted in it?

Do less “conventional” families tend to be less strict in fully embracing conventional social criteria such as formal education?

I’d like this kind of research to be conducted before we arrive at any conclusions, thank you vey much.

by Anonymousreply 1310/11/2013

R9, I don't think that one kid was a moron; there was simply one letter missing from a post that appears to be typed on a smartphone ('maker' for 'marker'), and no punctuation. But to me, 'cooky' is worse!

I adore that so many students see/saw right through the bigoted fundie, and thanks for all your work cutting and pasting the comments, R9.

by Anonymousreply 1410/12/2013

[quote] An unexpected finding was that children of single parents had higher graduation rates than children in same-sex households

That's bullshit

by Anonymousreply 1510/12/2013

How did the children come into the household? Same sex families often adopt foster kids and others the system has rejected.

A real scientist needs to slap down this obvious sample bias.

by Anonymousreply 1610/12/2013

But where is this article published? Your responses are excellent ones to add in the comments of wherever this is publicly posted for the sheep to be easily swayed without proper information or cause to think critically.

by Anonymousreply 1710/12/2013

For people here who know the children of SS partnerships, what have you seen?

I don't know very many with children, but there's one lez couple I know with a very fucked up boy who never graduated & another lez power couple with money who adopted a biracial child who was pretty fucked up & never graduated.

by Anonymousreply 1810/12/2013

I knew a couple girls growing up. Their dad came out later in life and lived with his partner, maybe in his late 30s/40s (they mostly grew up until adolescence, in hetero-seeming homes). The girls had to live with their dad later on. I remember running into one of them while she still lived with him and she disgustedly told me "my daddy is a fucking f*ggot". I was totally unable to process her deep hatred, and not sure whether her dad even knew she hated him. I know she had kids right out of HS (if she graduated), and her younger sister, who knows, but was a mess growing up.

by Anonymousreply 1910/12/2013

When REGNERUS is involved you know it's bogus and not legitimate peer-reviewed science.

by Anonymousreply 2010/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.