Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Was Christopher Columbus an overrated historical figure?

Can you believe he's a pedophile and all the evil things he's done. Man, the guy was brutal.

by Anonymousreply 1810/12/2013

Why do you hate America, OP?

by Anonymousreply 110/10/2013

:...he discovered the new world much like a meteorite discovered the dinosaurs."

Now that is a good line!

by Anonymousreply 210/10/2013

He wasn't Genoese, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 310/11/2013

I LURVE the comment that he"discovered" the americans like a Meteor "discovered" the dinosaurs.

he literally set in motion the greatest mass-killing in the history of the world!

by Anonymousreply 410/11/2013

Nah, Columbus was alright, but don't get me started with Copernicus, that little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 510/11/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 610/11/2013

Europeans who went to the New World also had very high death rates. They just weren't very numerous.

by Anonymousreply 710/11/2013

What? Columbus didn't discover Ohio?

by Anonymousreply 810/11/2013

According to "American Holocaust: The Conquest of the New World" by David E. Stannard, 100 million Native Americans were killed---from Columbus to the end of the 19th century US Army wars against the Indians---in the Western Hemisphere.

by Anonymousreply 910/11/2013

Most of the indigenous population of the US died due to diseases to which they had no immunity.

by Anonymousreply 1010/11/2013

Stannard's estimate of 100 million indigenous Americans is suspect.

by Anonymousreply 1110/11/2013

Freeper - yeah, a freeper who has worked for and voted for every Democratic candidate in every election since I was able to vote. A gay, pro-choice, pro-marriage equality freeper. Uh-huh.

The number is in question.

by Anonymousreply 1310/11/2013

r13, have you actually read Stannard's book?

And yes, I think you're a gay, pro-choice, pro-marriage equality freeper. And much of the diseased was deliberately spread. With friends like r13, do the Indians' need enemies?

by Anonymousreply 1410/11/2013

Did you read the article I linked to? Because there are no records and it is in the interest of some people (real freepers) to say there were only five million and in the interest of others (sensationalizing to sell books at the anniversary of Columbus' arrival), I believe the truth is somewhere in between.

And again, most of the deaths were from disease, not deliberately spread. A third of Europe was wiped out by the plague brought back from China. It happened a lot throughout history.

Save your vitriol for the real freepers.

by Anonymousreply 1510/11/2013

A standard of living that has been the primary contributor to the destruction of our planet, R6. We'll be in the dark ages before this century is over. As a species, we would be incredibly lucky to survive as long as the Neanderthals at this point. Intelligent beings don't go out of their way to destroy their only home.

by Anonymousreply 1610/11/2013

R12 Who? the Spanish? Anytime you see the word "freeper" in a post, you can be sure it is from one of several DL idiots. They've always been here.

by Anonymousreply 1710/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 1810/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.