Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Was Sharon Tate considered A-List back in 1969?

At the time of her death?

Which actress today would be the equivalent of her level of fame back then?

by Anonymousreply 22411/05/2014

She was probably like a Jessica Alba.

by Anonymousreply 110/10/2013

99.9999% of the public never heard of Sharon Tate until they read her obituary.

by Anonymousreply 210/10/2013

Scarlett Johansson

by Anonymousreply 310/10/2013

She would have been considered as C or D list. I'm sure plenty of people who worked mostly in TV at time knew her or knew of her.

by Anonymousreply 410/10/2013

She was on par with:

Kate Bosworth

Jessica Alba

Diane Krueger

by Anonymousreply 510/10/2013

Minka Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 610/10/2013

Well, wasn't Sharon Tate in "Valley of the Dolls?"

She was known. Her husband, Roman Polanski, was better known. He had just directed "Rosemary's Baby."

They weren't Brad and Angelina, but they were known.

by Anonymousreply 710/10/2013

They also describe her as "actress Sharon Tate" when describing her murder. If people always need to be told she was an actress, she was hardly a household name. I think she might have broken through in another year or so, she was beautiful. Maybe she would have gotten a series.

by Anonymousreply 810/10/2013

[quote]Diane Krueger

Shar was more Fred, less Diane.

by Anonymousreply 910/10/2013

I think at the time she was best known for being Polanski's wife. He'd just found mainstream fame after doing Rosemary's Baby and was becoming a hot commodity in Hollywood.

If she'd lived she would have had her son, probably stopped acting and supported Polanski for a time, split from him at some point and become a Bev Hills divorcee/housewife. Would have aged nicely, if her great looks were any indication, and re-made her career in 80s television a la Joan Collins or Linda Evans. Tate would have made a perfect Krystal Carrington.

by Anonymousreply 1010/10/2013

No. She was what would have been called a starlet.

by Anonymousreply 1110/10/2013

Roman was already cheating on pregnant Sharon.

by Anonymousreply 1210/10/2013

Nice try, r7. She was in Valley of the Dolls. She was married to Roman Polanksi. public.

by Anonymousreply 1310/10/2013

" I think she might have broken through in another year or so, she was beautiful."

Nothing stops an actress from breaking through like a new baby. Really, she was a sweet, beautiful woman who'd done some leading roles but hadn't broken through to stardom, and she'd married "well" and had gotten pregnant.

That made her exactly the sort of person that Hollywood was (and is) prepared to dismiss. There were new girls in town.

by Anonymousreply 1410/10/2013

Most bizarre Hollywood crime/murder ever. I can't even imagine something like this happening today to the likes of a Jessica Alba or Kate Bosworth. Freaky for those times and still freaky now.

by Anonymousreply 1510/11/2013

Very few people knew who she was, I remember that few people recognized the name.

by Anonymousreply 1610/11/2013

She was not famous enough to be considered A list.

Being in Valley of the Dolls didn't make her A list. Valley of the Dolls was her only big role in a movie that was widely seen. For that matter Barbara Parkins wasn't A list either.

Being married to Polanski? That didn't make her A list either. She died one year after Rosemary's Baby came out. Rosemary's Baby was Polanski's first major American film. Polanski is now more famous both in the U.S. and arguably even internationally than he was in 1969.

Polanski is now married to Emmanuelle Seigner. He has been married to her for 24 years. They have two children together. As an actress, Seigner has a resume much more impressive than Tate's. And that is a;n understatement. She has had leading roles in Polanski films including Frantic, opposite Harrison Ford, and Bitter Moon, with Hugh Grant, Peter Coyote and Kirstin Scott Thomas.

And no one would consider Emmanuelle Seigner A list.

As far as whose current career fame would approximate Tate's 1969 career fame, I would think it would be someone who has appeared in one big movie and has some connection, marital or familial, to someone is show business.

As to her celebrity analog of today, maybe Rashida Jones.

by Anonymousreply 1710/11/2013

Remember when Gwyneth Paltrow was "that girl who is dating Brad Pitt"?

She was like that.

by Anonymousreply 1810/11/2013

The camera loved her.

by Anonymousreply 1910/11/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2010/11/2013

She and Polanski were considered an "in" couple; he was a hot ("hot" as in successful) young director and she was his gorgeous wife. So they were very sought after; people wanted to be in their company.

If Tate had lived chances are she would have abandoned her career to concentrate on being a mother. She and Polanski would have no doubt divorced somewhere down the line. She might have had some more roles in movies and tv here and there later on. But she didn't strike me as being a particularly talented actress. If she worked really hard, could she have become very good? Who knows? But with that face and body she would have had a hard time being taken seriously, no matter how accomplished an actress she might have become.

by Anonymousreply 2110/11/2013

R17, Emanuelle also starred in Polanski's "The Ninth Gate," and did a wonderful job.

by Anonymousreply 2210/11/2013

This is a beautiful coffee table book on the timeless beauty of Sharon Tate. It includes many remembrances from celebrities who knew her. Best part..nothing about murder or Manson.

by Anonymousreply 2306/11/2014

A list back then had to be Liz and Dick, Mia and Frank, Jane Fonda, Beatty, etc.

Sharon hung with what I'd consider the coolest people in Hollyweird - The Mamas and the Papas, The Doors, the Peyton Place crowd etc. Someone should do a Mad Men type series about LA in the mid to late 60's.

by Anonymousreply 2406/11/2014

Not sure about getting that Sharon book, despite the reviews. I don't like fawning propaganda pieces. I am tempted though...

by Anonymousreply 2506/11/2014

One thing that has always haunted me. If Marilyn hadn't died in 1962 and still lived in that little bungalow she had, in 1969, would the Manson family have come after her instead?

by Anonymousreply 2606/11/2014

She was known for her looks more so than her acting talent."Starlet" was probably the most accurate description.

by Anonymousreply 2706/11/2014

R24- Yes a spin off of MadMen w/Megan living in the Canyons..

by Anonymousreply 2806/11/2014

They already did a film about it. SHAMPOO. Goldie Hawn played Sharon.

by Anonymousreply 2906/11/2014

The fact that she was a piss poor actress also probably kept her from the A list.

by Anonymousreply 3006/11/2014

There was a lot of fear among celebrities that they were being targeted. I remember reading a bio of Steve McQueen that said he started carrying a gun after the Tate murder. However, I am not aware of any actual "celebrity death lists."

However, I have also heard that Manson was actually targeting Terry Melcher (Doris Day's son) who was a music producer, and who had previously lived at that house - Polanski bought it from Melcher a few months before the murder. The theory is that Brian Wilson (Beach Boys) introduced Manson to Melcher. Manson wanted to be a rock star. Melcher either got weirded out or Manson was a no-talent (or both) and Manson was trying to get revenge, and didn't know Melcher had moved.

I don't consider myself particularly knowledgable about the Manson murders, so I might be wrong.

And I cannot speak to Sharon Tate's position in the galaxy of stars, as I was but a gleam in my father's eye at the time.

by Anonymousreply 3106/11/2014

R31 You are correct on all counts

by Anonymousreply 3206/11/2014

R3, you may not like her, but Johansson is way more famous and definitely A-list than Tate ever was. She's been in Academy Award-winning/-nominated films and several blockbusters and, more importantly, the average Joe knows who she is.

by Anonymousreply 3306/11/2014

You have to remember 1969 had no Internet. Being married to an up-and-coming director was not a ticket to fame. The public wasn't bombarded (as they are today) with photos of XYZ-list nobodies appearing daily on one red carpet after another - so much so, that in the minds of the public they must be A-list, because they're photographed so much.

by Anonymousreply 3406/11/2014

They also had telephones, television, and video filming equipment. They no longer relied on pony express.

by Anonymousreply 3506/11/2014

Scarlett Johansson is not vacant enough to be a true star. A true star is empty headed, allowing the public to project its dreams onto your image. Sharon Tate certainly qualifies as a star because we have very little to go on where her inner life is concerned.

by Anonymousreply 3606/11/2014

Not Brian Wilson, R31, Dennis. Dennis picked up a couple of the Manson girls hitchhiking on Sunset, had a threesome - the next thing he knew, the whole Family had moved in, were eating him out of house and home, and he had to bail and abandon the house to them in an effort to escape them.

Gail Zappa remembers Charlie and the creepy girls on the far fringes of the Laurel Canyon scene. They had a dirty, creepy vibe, but due to the accepting and loving nature of the scene then, few predicted their senseless and crazy killing spree.

Many think the Manson killings involved retribution for drug deals gone bad (maybe the hairdresser). Who knows?

by Anonymousreply 3706/11/2014

r35 They also had telephones, television, and video filming equipment. They no longer relied on pony express.

Yes, back in 1969 I was constantly running to my black rotary on the kitchen wall waiting to hear the latest gossip from Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 3806/11/2014

R36, I don't know WTF you're talking about "empty heads" and "projecting dreams." A star, plain and simple, is someone who is very successful in their industry (i.e. film, music, television) and well-renown. Johansson certainly qualifies because, as I said, she's been in Oscar-nominated films and blockbusters -- the former which gains her respect from esteemed directors and her peers, and the latter which makes her a household name and an asset to studios. I don't know any other definition of a star.

Tate was not a star by any means when she died. She had done some TV and starred in a badly panned movie, but had not done anything of note. She only gained notoriety after her grisly death, and, like many people who've died young (whether famous or not), we will always speculate about her future, but not because she was some A-list actress.

by Anonymousreply 3906/11/2014

We just have a different philosophy about what a star is, r39. There's no need to be hostile. It's all a psychic construct anyway.

by Anonymousreply 4006/11/2014

[quote]We just have a different philosophy about what a star is

No, you're the only person who thinks that. A star means fame. That's all.

I can't believe how long people entertained OP. No, she was most definitely not A-List. She was C/D-List, (depending on the specifics of one's definitions).

by Anonymousreply 4106/11/2014

Thanks, r37.

Also, I didn't quite make clear my point regarding the "if Marilyn had still been alive" poster. I'm not sure that it's clear that they were targeting celebrities in that way.

Has anyone asked any of the imprisoned family members if they have any theories (other than "Charlie told us to")?

by Anonymousreply 4206/11/2014

I was a teenager when Tate was murdered. It was a very big deal, the event was. But as has been mentioned here, news reports had to remind everyone who Sharon Tate was.

She was murdered in '69. Up until that time, her only really significant acting role was in "Valley of the Dolls" which was from 1967. In between "Dolls" and her death she only did one other film and it was not a much of a success. She really was not on the public's radar.

by Anonymousreply 4306/11/2014

Unlikely. Manson knew the Cielo drive property as he had been there several times previously when the previous tenants (Doris Day's son Terry Melcher, Candy Bergen) had rented the place from Rudi Altobelli) had resided there. Tex Watson had been there as well. The house was chosen because 1) they knew the property 2) it was isolated 3) it is believed that Manson wanted to scare Melcher by choosing the place in which he had once lived

Marilyn's place over in the Helenas was not isolated even back then. There are houses on the entire street. Loud noises would have been heard and from where quickly determined. Marilyn's neighbors saw daily who was going in & out of there. Many of the houses now on Cielo Drive were NOT there 45 years ago and were built afterwards.

I've been to both properties. Sharon's nearest neighbor in 1969 was further down the drive, off from the annexed cul de sac which led to 10050, now numbered 10066 with the new house built there.

1) Polanski rented the house, as did Melcher. again, it was owned by Rudi Altobelli who died about 2 years ago.

2) Also, there was a death list of sorts. Susan Atkins told of the celebrities who the family had wanted to target. Among those included: Taylor & Burton, Doris Day, Steve McQueen, Sinatra & Tom Jones.

by Anonymousreply 4406/11/2014

R42 Have you ever read Helter Skelter? That book can give you some scary insights regarding Manson and company .

by Anonymousreply 4506/11/2014

She also did an episode of Beverly Hillbillies

by Anonymousreply 4606/11/2014

r41, don't you DARE try to impose your vacuous definitions on ME!

by Anonymousreply 4706/11/2014

R44 As always, Kelt, you are a wealth of knowledge and information, and I thank you

by Anonymousreply 4806/11/2014

[quote]Re: Was Sharon Tate considered A-List back in 1969 ?

Sharon was married to an up & coming A-list director who the year before had been nominated for an Academy Award for 'best screenplay' (for) ROSEMARY'S BABY. Sharon herself, at 26 was still a 'starlet'. Her participation in VALLEY OF THE DOLLS gave her the most name recognition.

I remember when the murders occurred and my mother & babysitter were discussing it in the kitchen that summer. Everyone was talking about how Tate was 8 months pregnant. I recall my mom telling the babysitter in vague terms she saw her in VALLEY OF THE DOLLS and that she was married to (Polanski) the guy who'd directed ROSEMARY'S BABY but that was about it; not some big name recognition with a list of credits etc, nor anything else about her.

by Anonymousreply 4906/11/2014

Sharon was on more than 1 episode of THE BEVERLY HILLBILLES.

Sharon was in two episodes in late 1963 with her blonde hair showing. On 1 she played a potential schoolmate of Elly May's "Who whipped that up for you Cynth ?" ; on the other she danced the twist with Jethro in The Garden Party epidode "Hey, Doris look !!"

Following that she had a semi-regular role for 2 seasons playing Miss Hathaway's beautiful assistant Janet Trego. Sharon wore a dark wig when she played Janet. Her last appearance being on an episode shot in the Spring of 1965 that aired that fall.

by Anonymousreply 5006/11/2014

Thanks K -- I remembered only the dance with Jethro. I didn't realize she was Janet T as well.

by Anonymousreply 5106/11/2014

Here's a clip of Sharon as Janet Trego on THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES.

by Anonymousreply 5206/11/2014

[quote]Someone should do a Mad Men type series about LA in the mid to late 60's.

Call it "Paranoia Strikes Deep."

by Anonymousreply 5306/11/2014

No, she was not A List by any means, but she was a known starlet & widely considered to be very beautiful.

I'd say her closest counterpart today would be ScarJo.

by Anonymousreply 5406/11/2014

Arguably, Sharon was Polanski's prototype for Nastassja Kinski, who ended up starring in his greatest film.

by Anonymousreply 5506/11/2014

R54, she was in no way in ScarJo's league. For one, she's no longer a starlet and hasn't been one for a decade. A starlet is a young, aspiring actress who hasn't yet achieved fame/success. ScarJo has had several hit films and won a Tony, not to mention she's famous and not just in the US.

Tate didn't have anything like that, just a couple TV credits and the third lead in hit but panned film, but not much else. She was probably better known as the new wife of an up-and-coming director (Polanski) than as an actress.

I don't see how people are comparing the two. Their beauty, yeah, but their careers were at different levels.

by Anonymousreply 5606/11/2014

Thanks, Kelt! You know your stuff!

I did read Helter Skelter a loooooonnnng time ago. But un/fortunately, I have had most of that info replaced in my brain since then. (Or, as Homer Simpson said, "Lisa, I didn't need that fact in my head! Now I can't remember who won Bud Bowl 8!")

by Anonymousreply 5706/11/2014

The day before she was murdered, maybe one person out of 1,000 could have picked her out of a lineup. Maybe one.

by Anonymousreply 5806/11/2014

Boobies Boobies Boobies.

Oh, Jennifer

by Anonymousreply 5906/11/2014

No, R55. People know who Scarjo is. When Tate died, most people wondered who that was. She wasn't a standout in anything she ever did. I remember seeing photos of her and not remembering her.

People knew who Polanski was because of Rosemary's Baby, but that didn't give her automatic fame.

Fame was different in the pre-pap days. Now she would be pushed in everyone's faces but not then.

by Anonymousreply 6006/11/2014

You meant to address your post to R54, R60. And you're right.

by Anonymousreply 6106/11/2014

Thanks, R61.

by Anonymousreply 6206/11/2014

Blurb about the new book from IN STYLE .....

by Anonymousreply 6306/11/2014

The Manson Family wasn't after Sharon Tate, or any other Hollywood blonde. She was just unlucky enough to be in that house.

by Anonymousreply 6406/11/2014

I'd say a good steady C+. It's sad but it really was her death and the way she died that made her famous forever in the World's memory.

by Anonymousreply 6506/11/2014

r63, I can't believe what I'm reading.

[quote]As beautiful and she was kind, actress Sharon Tate left an indelible mark on the world.

They forget to add the reason why...

by Anonymousreply 6606/11/2014

I think had she lived she would have been good in something like Charlie's Angels, no pun intended. She could have done Farrah's part. Whether or not she had any real acting talent the way Farrah did and gone on to something more we'll never know.

by Anonymousreply 6706/11/2014

What is it with the Polanskis? Vampires, witches, Satan?

by Anonymousreply 6806/11/2014

I just saw that photo of Joan Collins at the Polanski Tate wedding and it hit me... Sharon could have been Krystle Carrington on Dynasty! Like Linda Evans, Sharon had that sensitivity everybody raves about but street smarts to go with it.

by Anonymousreply 6906/11/2014

As R60 wrote "Fame was different in the pre-pap days. Now she would be pushed in everyone's faces but not then".

You have to remember that there was no "Entertainment Tonight" style television back then. No reports from the red carpet. No "lifestyles" fluff.

There were the talk shows and the weekly newstand magazines, but not much else to promote yourself.

by Anonymousreply 7006/11/2014

The life of a starlet...

by Anonymousreply 7106/11/2014

[quote]I just saw that photo of Joan Collins at the Polanski Tate wedding and it hit me... Sharon could have been Krystle Carrington on Dynasty!

by Anonymousreply 7206/11/2014

Back then people and kids were not familiar with the names of directors unless they were established like Hitchcock. He had one hit film. The average person didn't know him either at the time of the murders. They knew Mia Farrow from the film. The only director I can remember in the 70s that had some name recognition with the general public after one hit film was Spielberg after Jaws. I don't remember the general public knowing who Polanski really was until the murders. There weren't all the tabs, entertainment shows, and magazines that exist now to publicize stars and movies. No news channels looking for filler. A few mags and Ron Barrett, all focused on Mia, her short hair, and Frank Sinatra. I think in hindsight we are overestimating Polanski's name recognition with the general public at the time.

by Anonymousreply 7306/11/2014

R56 & R60: For clarification, my comparison to ScarJo was based not only on looks (she & Sharon are/were both beautiful), but also, I could have seen Sharon's career as having the same trajectory as ScarJo's...

by Anonymousreply 7406/11/2014

Um... Who is Ron Barrett?

by Anonymousreply 7506/11/2014

If Sharon Tate had been A-List, she'd have left a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. As it happens, all she left in life was a rug stain.

by Anonymousreply 7606/11/2014

Sorry, Rona Barrett. She had gossip mags in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 7706/11/2014

R77: And a TV show!

by Anonymousreply 7806/11/2014

Oh! I remember her - she guest starred on Moonlighting, right?! (Rona Barrett, not Sharon Tate.)

by Anonymousreply 7906/11/2014

Rona Barrett had a 60 sec spot on the 10PM news in NY -- channel 5, WNEW. Back then it was gossip, who's dating who, who's divorcing who. Directors were not mentioned.

Known directors in 1969:

Orson Welles, Hitchcock. Performers also directors Mike Nichols and Charlie Chaplin. David Lean, Fellini and Francois Truffaut got enough press in the 60s to be known.

by Anonymousreply 8006/11/2014

Remembering all of the things we DIDN'T have back in 1969 (Internet, social media, etc.), how DID we ever find out about things?

Newspapers had "standards"; magazines had news that was as much as one month old; TV news consisted of one-half hour nightly on ABC, NBC or CBS; radio played a much bigger part in our lives; movies were released as first-run in NY and LA and sometimes didn't play elsewhere for up to 4-6 months.

My head hurts.

by Anonymousreply 8106/11/2014

"Flora, it's a nation-wide hook up!"

by Anonymousreply 8206/11/2014

I think Polanski had some slight name recognition, but only because his movie starred Mia Farrow and she was a favorite of gossip columnists at the time.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Rosemary's Baby the movie Sinatra demanded that she not make but she did it anyway? They ended over it. She was well rid of that little shitstain.

by Anonymousreply 8306/11/2014

The day the murders were discovered Rona Barrett got the 'heads up' from someone she knew with connections & drove over to Sharon Tate's house. She had met the starlet and knew who she. Rona hovered around the entrance gate with others from the media. She was there when Bill Tennant who was Polanski's business manager was being escorted by police from the property after he'd identified the bodies. (Of course he couldn't identify the boy in the car, Steve Parent.) As the ashen faced Tennant was leaving exiting the newsmen pummeled him with questions. It was apparent from Bill Tennant's demeanor that something horrible had happened to those inside. Rona Barrett walked right up to him and asked, "Was it 'really' Sharon ?" Tennant turned on her and intoned, "Don't Be An Ass !"

by Anonymousreply 8406/11/2014

[quote]If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Rosemary's Baby the movie Sinatra demanded that she not make but she did it anyway? They ended over it. She was well rid of that little shitstain.

Sinatra had her served on the (ROSEMARY'S BABY) set at Paramount with divorce papers. He wanted her to walk off of that production so that she could be in his movie, THE DETECTIVE. Early word from the rushes was that the performance that Polanski was getting out of her was going to win critical acclaim & Mia didn't want to be unprofessional and just walk off. Sinatra usually wanted his way all of the time or he'd cut you off, which he did to Mia for being, in his eyes disobedient.

by Anonymousreply 8506/11/2014

Maybe Mia was fortunate and her "disobedience" kept her from being beaten.

by Anonymousreply 8606/11/2014

[quote] There was a lot of fear among celebrities that they were being targeted. I remember reading a bio of Steve McQueen that said he started carrying a gun after the Tate murder. However, I am not aware of any actual "celebrity death lists."

I remember hearing about that. Also Steve McQueen's first wife Neile Adams was interviewed for the Sharon Tate/Manson Family E! True Hollywood Story in 1999 and she said the same thing about Steve carrying a gun. She also mentioned that several celebrities were hiring night security guards and guard dogs.

by Anonymousreply 8706/11/2014

From Kelt's post at R44:

Also, there was a death list of sorts. Susan Atkins told of the celebrities who the family had wanted to target. Among those included: Taylor & Burton, Doris Day, Steve McQueen, Sinatra & Tom Jones.

by Anonymousreply 8806/11/2014

There is the story that Sinatra got furious at one actress he was dating the mid-60s, a year or two before Mia Farrow, and threw her face first through a sliding glass door. The woman allegedly required plastic surgery from the assault.

This allegedly occurred during a dinner party at his house in Palm Springs. He was in a foul mood and picking on her throughout the night; criticizing her acting abilities and saying demeaning things about her all during dinner. Finally, the actress had enough and said something back at which point Sinatra came over, grabbed her by the back of her neck and threw her into the sliding glass doors that led out to the patio.

Those present kept their mouths shut, though I've been told that more than one began to distance themselves from him afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 8906/11/2014

Yes, Atkins went into gory detail about what the 'family' wanted to do to a handful of celebrities. I recall that Atkins claimed that Manson had taught her how to gorge out an eyeball and that she wanted to do so to Elizabeth Taylor while Richard Burton would be castrated. No point in going into all of it. Bottom line is that most of those who became part of the Manson family were fucked up, sick.

by Anonymousreply 9006/11/2014

Frank Sinatra is a good example of Hollywood providing ignorant Americans with sociopathic reptilians for us to worship. His talent had pretty much evaporated by the late '60s.

by Anonymousreply 9106/11/2014

Not really, R91. Sinatra was ugly but in good voice. It fell apart in 1974.

by Anonymousreply 9206/11/2014

A sister of mine went to a Sinatra concert on his last tour. She wanted to experience hearing the legend in a music hall. She said that it was obvious his voice was gone but that the older women in attendance who must've grown up decades earlier when he was a hot sensation were enthralled.

by Anonymousreply 9306/11/2014

I remember when the stories came out about Sinatra's widow keeping anyone from visiting him as his health deteriorated.

People felt so sorry for him but I kept thinking it was pure karmic justice. She did nothing to him that he didn't or wouldn't do to others.

I hated him for how he treated Ava Gardner. She made him crazy because he couldn't own or control her.

by Anonymousreply 9406/11/2014

The whole of Hollywood was supposed to have been at that house that night.

by Anonymousreply 9506/11/2014

How does Tuesday Weld figure into all of this? What year did she turn her back on Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 9606/11/2014

She got fat.

by Anonymousreply 9706/11/2014

It's true that Sharon Tate was not a star until after her death. What the hell!? She made only five or six films plus Beverly Hillbillies and some other tv work. I don't think it's fair to say she didn't have any talent. What I see is an amazing screen presence and vulnerability.

Her best film was "Eye of the Devil" with David Niven. Valley of the Dolls though panned by critics, was a huge commercial success for Fox in 1967. The public was just starting to realize Sharon and then she was murdered. That being said, Hollywood knew her very well and she hung with, partied with some of the biggest A-Listers.

She was one of the most photographed women in the sixties and a fashion icon. I'm glad to see people are starting to appreciate the woman she was besides being just a victim.

To me, Sharon Tate paid the biggest price for the fame she has achieved. Her timeless beauty will go on capturing people.

by Anonymousreply 9806/11/2014

She played good comedy opposite Dean Martin in "The Wrecking Crew."

by Anonymousreply 9906/11/2014

On her way up to the C-List, Sharon used to date the actor Max(?), who played Jethro on the Beverly Hillbillies.

Jethro got her several mini-roles on the Beverly Hillbillies and here is a sample. Sharon is wearing a black wig.

by Anonymousreply 10006/11/2014

In the late 60's Doris Day's son Terry Melcher, then a record producer, met Charlie Manson though through his friend Beach Boy Dennis Wilson. Manson failed a recording audition with Melcher and Melcher later canceled a documentary he had planned to make about him. Melcher and Wilson had become aware of some of the unsavory things going on a Manson's ranch and they cut off contact with him.

When Manson sent his followers out commit the murders, he sent them to Melcher's residence on Cielo Drive. I've read conflicting accounts whether Manson was aware that the house, a rental property, was no longer occupied by Melcher. Melcher was terrified afterwards, hiring bodyguards and dropping from sight, like a number of Manson's former Hollywood acquaintances.

by Anonymousreply 10106/11/2014

Do we really have to go over all this old news as if it were breaking stuff? R40, we know all that. Don't bore us if you have nothing new to add to the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 10206/11/2014

Max Baer, Jr. played Jethro.

by Anonymousreply 10306/11/2014

R100 Max Baer stated in an interview that he never dated Sharon Tate. He said and I quote "she was out of my league and besides she was dating French actor Philip Forquet." He had absolutely nothing to do with Sharon's working on "Beverly Hillbillies" either. Sharon was signed by producer Martin Ransohoff to a contract with Filmways (they produced the show). Her agent Hal Gefsky.

You made your point about how important you think Sharon Tate was by your C-List comment. But then why should anybody give a fuck what you think because you don't even know of what you write!?? Ho Hum!

by Anonymousreply 10406/11/2014

I free with the C+, mostly on Valley Of the Dolls.

Panned or not, it was a box office smash and Tate was on the cover of every magazine in the country.

by Anonymousreply 10506/11/2014

[quote]Max Baer stated in an interview that he never dated Sharon Tate. He said and I quote "she was out of my league and besides she was dating French actor Philip Forquet."

How refreshing -- unless this was right after the Cielo Drive murders and Max was scared.

by Anonymousreply 10606/11/2014

Actually, R104, you once again have your head up your ass and are wrong. But do us all a favor and keep it there.

by Anonymousreply 10706/11/2014

R107 Actually you are the one with your head stuck in de butt. I say pull it out and get a breath of fresh air. When it's clear do a little research and then the next time you post something maybe it will be factual and not contrived from your oxygen starved brain.

by Anonymousreply 10806/11/2014

The numbering is off so I do not knw what r82 and r83 are fighting about.

by Anonymousreply 10906/11/2014

She was more like a Kardashian.

by Anonymousreply 11006/11/2014

R110 ya think? Nobody likes the Kardashians. Everyone who ever knew Sharon loved her.

by Anonymousreply 11106/11/2014

When the news spread that she'd been murdered, most regular people didn't have a lot of sympathy. From they gathered from the news, she was part of the decadent 'hippie jet set' crowd, and Hollywood/entertainment people in general were frowned upon by God-fearing average Joe's. A lot of (semi) famous people, immediately tried to make themselves part of the story, by blabbing how they had been invited to a party there, but had fortunately 'missed out'. Also the police said that the crime scene indicated a 'ritualistic killing' and most people assumed there had been some acid-inspired 'Satanic ritual', so the general verdict was: "Live freaky, die freaky'. When it came to light (a couple of months later) that the Manson family was responsible, the public opinion towards the victims changed.

by Anonymousreply 11206/11/2014

R71, was that done after the murders? It's hard to tell. The narrator talks in the present tense, but the director talks in retrospect.

by Anonymousreply 11306/11/2014

Well for some reason, all the asshole in the country, seems to watch the Kardasians, I don't know why.

I was comparing their talent...anyway, I never thought of her as a star, I knew she was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 11406/11/2014

in this new book written by Sharon sister did they mention anything about Patty Duke?

by Anonymousreply 11506/12/2014

To R108, and to EVERYONE ON DATALOUNGE WHO LIKES TO SEE THE LIES OF A QUEEN REVEALED, let's take a look at this video of Max Baer talking about going out on dates with Sharon Tate.

R108, you are a fucking asshole. You come here to DL to lie and to make yourself sound and feel important when in real life you are nothing but a minimum wage shop girl typing on an old Commodore computer. You sicken me with your mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 11706/12/2014

That featurette was made during production of EYE OF THE DEVIL (originally titled 13) back in 1966, 3 years before Sharon's murder.

by Anonymousreply 11806/12/2014

[quote]R104 [quote]R106

If you watch the clip below, you will Max Baer Jr. say that he did go out with Sharon a few times.

My understanding was that they dated a couple of times but that she wasn't interested in going out with him any more & that was that.

by Anonymousreply 11906/12/2014

For the people going on about the general public not knowing who Sharon Tate was back then, I beg to differ, I was a small kid when she was murdered, my parents sure knew who she was.

It was front page news, her death made the cover of The New York Daily News, which was actually a much better paper years ago, not like the sensationalistic rag it's become.

I guess Sharon was better known in big cosmopolitan cities? I'm a native New Yorker. MY LA relatives also knew who she was.

As others have stated here, there was no Internet back then, news was not as immediate as today, but many were still quite aware who ST was. My parents were also into foreign films, which meant they knew Roman Polanski from his early sub-titled films, "Knife In the Water" etc, which were shown on PBS in NY.

My mom was an avid consumer of gossip and fashion magazines, Sharon was featured in both.

Celebrity culture was much different back then, it also didn't ovelap as much as it does today. You'd rarely see a movie star on the Tonys or on the Grammys.

As someone mentioned herw, there wasn't this huge overkill of 'celebs' on red carpets, the people who did show up at red carpet events had some sort of actual career going on, there weren't all these reality show nothings and lollipop heads, like Guilana Rancic, who think they are celebrities just because they interview celebrities, it was a whole different world back then.

by Anonymousreply 12006/12/2014

R120, it looks like you were the exception, what with having parents who indulged in foreign films and living in a cosmopolitan city and a mother who read gossip/fashion magazines. I'm not surprised you heard of her and probably other starlets of the era.

But the truth remains, the average American had no idea who she was, and by average I mean people who just went to the movies for recreation and didn't devote their time to reading about celebrities and behind-the-scene exposes. Even today, the majority of moviegoers just go to have fun. They don't really care about the stars (more so now than ever) and only know of minor actors because, as has been pointed out, everything it so accessible now. It's hard not to be inundated with crap.

by Anonymousreply 12106/12/2014

[quote]Even today, the majority of moviegoers just go to have fun. They don't really care about the stars (more so now than ever) and only know of minor actors because, as has been pointed out, everything it so accessible now. It's hard not to be inundated with crap.

I don't agree with this part of your post. Actually, the problem today is, people care TOO MUCH about minor celebs who possess very little talent. It's also unfortunate that moviegoers will go to see the crapiest movies on the planet simply because their fave stars are in these films.

We are saturated with crap, everyday....whether it's online, on TV and in print media...there are constant reports about people who would have been considered D level celebrities back then. I wouldn't mind if the focus was on talented, or even fun celebs, a large portion of reporting seems to be about no-talents like the Kardashians and other illiterate creations of the media.

I think, had Sharon Tate been a new celeb hitting the scene today and based on her beauty alone, she would be a mega-star today, because the general public loves beautiful and glamorous people. Today, talent takes a backseat to glamour and artifice.

My mom, who subscribes to The NY Daily News, asked me why a model, Miranda Kerr, is constantly featured in the paper's gossip section nearly every day.

I had no answer other than Kerr probably has a very persistant publicist and the fact that she was married to Orlando Bloom, other than that, Miranda Kerr is a void, she's boring as hell with a nasally voice which could peel paint. Sure, models were known back in the 1960s and 1970s, but they were never elevated to the status they've had over the past two decades.

by Anonymousreply 12206/12/2014

She was on par with Jayne Mansfield. A small talent, with good looks and better connections. If she had lived, I don't think she ever would have done anything above B level work -- if that.

She was filler for the celebrity party scene. Sadly, she paid the price for being good enough to part of the scene, but not great enough to be untouchable in the scene,

by Anonymousreply 12306/12/2014

Tate can in no way be considered on par with Jayne Mansfield. Not even remotely.

by Anonymousreply 12406/12/2014

"A" list means name above the title and power in opening a movie. The OP's query is simply bizarre.

And RB's aside, Polanski is best known here for the Manson murders and his own subsequent flight from justice.

by Anonymousreply 12506/12/2014

r36 is a star...from another galaxy where definitions are arse-backwards.

by Anonymousreply 12606/12/2014

r44, the LaBiancas had close neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 12706/12/2014

r68, aside from Roman's hideous childhood, Sharon was part of the Laurel Canyon Generation of M-I C and CIA kids (David Crosby was another), chosen to promote anti-Establishment "values" in a very weird co-opting Fifth Column kind of way.

by Anonymousreply 12806/12/2014

People are trying to rewrite history and claim Tate was an icon of the 60s, akin to her friend Julie Christie. She was never on Christie's level.

by Anonymousreply 12906/12/2014

"She was one of the most photographed women in the sixties and a fashion icon."

No, she wasn't! The Shrimptons were. Twiggy was. Others.

by Anonymousreply 13006/12/2014

Sharon Tate became a 60s fashion icon and star as a direct result of being murdered. Joan Didion wrote that the 60s ended on that night. So when one thinks about the decade in retrospect, Sharon Tate has become a symbol for people's memories of the 60s. However, she was not a symbol for the 60s as they were actually happening.

by Anonymousreply 13106/12/2014

The cultural end of The Sixties was ALTAMONT.

by Anonymousreply 13206/12/2014

R132, Altamont happened AFTER the Tate/LaBianca murders. Four months later, actually.

by Anonymousreply 13306/12/2014

Sharon didn't have enough work under her belt yet to be considered a full fledged movie star. But she had talent and the people she worked with in the business have said so. At any rate after the murders she took center stage and thru the decades has remained there.

Forty five years after her ill fated end and they are still talking about her and writing books about her.

by Anonymousreply 13406/12/2014

Sharon was definitely D-list. It matched her cup size.

by Anonymousreply 13506/12/2014

In this documentary Max Baer Jr. stated that he DID NOT date Sharon Tate as she was out of his league and she was dating Phillipe Forquet during her run on "The Beverly Hillbillies." So between the Jerry Springer show and E True Hollywoods Last Days of Sharon Tate interview I guess old Max decided to tell the truth!?

"Sharon is a great discovery, first of all she's a fabulously good looking bird and she's got all the fun and spark and go, she's a marvellous girl and I think she's a very, very good actress, she's obviously going to make a big hit in this picture." - David Niven, co-star in Eye Of The Devil

by Anonymousreply 13606/12/2014

In that Jerry Springer interview, someone else mentioned that Baer and Tate dated briefly and he sort of confirmed it,saying he "took her out a couple times," but he didn't give the impression that it was anything more. To my knowledge, he has never said they had a deep passionate love affair -- like Tony Bennett did with Marilyn. By the end of his life, Bennett was saying that they had a torrid affair and she had his baby and he had her get an abortion. His story was constantly evolving. Baer has never embellished his association with Tate.

by Anonymousreply 13706/12/2014

R137 Yeah I guess "dating" could mean having lunch or a cup of coffee off set. He does however state "In Last Days of Sharon Tate" that he never dated her because she wasn't in his league.

After her relationship with Forquet (who put her in the hospital after a beating) she met Jay Sebring, the men's hair sylist, who she was with until Polanski. But that's another story.........

by Anonymousreply 13806/12/2014

Has anyone seen the film Shampoo? That's based on the year before the murders. Warren Beatty is Sebring, Goldie Hawn is his girlfriend Sharon Tate (who runs off with a European director). Julie Christie is basically playing herself.

by Anonymousreply 13906/12/2014

I was around 17 at the time of her death. Sharon Tate was a beautiful woman, who had been in Playboy and whom Hollywood was trying hard to make happen. I had never seen her anything at the time of her death. Valley of the Dolls was considered a big stupid, camp movie. There was no evidence she had any acting talent and the Playboy connection made her a little sleazy.

by Anonymousreply 14006/12/2014

R139 According to the 2010 book Star: How Warren Beatty Seduced America by Peter Biskind, screenwriter Robert Towne based the character on Beverly Hills hairdresser Gene Shacove and not Jay Sebring!

by Anonymousreply 14106/12/2014

R140 Wrong. "Valley of the Dolls" has achieved camp and cult status since it's release. However it was Fox's biggest money maker in 1968! Hard to believe now that people took this shit seriously. Tate was the only actor who seemed to fair better than Duke, Parkins et al in reviews.

I thought the photos Polanski did of her in Playboy on set of "Fearless Vampire Killers" very tastefully done.

by Anonymousreply 14206/12/2014

Beatty is lying. It's Jay.

by Anonymousreply 14306/12/2014

R143 Not Beatty but the screenwriter Robert Towne. Why would he lie about who he wrote it on? Being that Sebring was more well known wouldn't it make sense to say Sebring if it in fact was?

by Anonymousreply 14406/12/2014

r144, Towne is lying. It's Jay.

by Anonymousreply 14506/12/2014

I know that, r133. My point WAS that, in fact. IOW, I disagree with the claim about the Manson murders.

by Anonymousreply 14606/12/2014

R140, incidentally, here's a clip of Hefner briefly interviewing Tate and Polanski. She looked so beautiful and seemed like a sweetheart.

by Anonymousreply 14706/12/2014

Here's part 2:

by Anonymousreply 14806/12/2014

R147 R148 Great clips! Thanks for sharing.

by Anonymousreply 14906/12/2014

I don't know which is the larger number? The number of people who were "gave up a seat" on Buddy Holly's plane or the people who were "supposed to be" at the Melcher house?

by Anonymousreply 15006/12/2014

r150 Considering both murders were drug hits, a lot of people easily could've been at that house.

by Anonymousreply 15106/12/2014

It has been confirmed several times that Manson knew that Melcher moved out of the Cielo Drive house. He was familiar with the house and the property.

by Anonymousreply 15206/12/2014

Didn't recently deceased actor Christopher Jones tell people that he had an affair with Tate after she married Polanski?

by Anonymousreply 15306/12/2014

Yup Jones said that and years before he said that he and Sharon were very close friends and that her death took a toll on him and it was part of the reason he left acting.

by Anonymousreply 15406/12/2014

Bump for Sharon

by Anonymousreply 15506/12/2014

Maybe Sharon was a great lay but I always thought of her as a B actress. I didn't realize there was anything lower.

by Anonymousreply 15606/12/2014

[quote]I don't know which is the larger number? The number of people who were "gave up a seat" on Buddy Holly's plane or the people who were "supposed to be" at the Melcher house?

The late, great SPY magazine had a funny little feature box about this; they quoted about 10 different celebrities talking about the Tate murder, and every quote included the line, "That could've been me..."

by Anonymousreply 15706/12/2014

Vincent Bugliosi pretty much got it right when he wrote that, as an actress, Sharon was required to basically "just stand there and be beautiful". She was the ethereal, unattainable beauty that the middle-aged leading men lusted after in those silly 60s 'sex movies'. Polanski put her in 'The Fearless Vampire Killers', but I doubt either of them expected her to be the next Julie Christie. Sharon was the Bo Derek or Kate Upton of the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 15806/12/2014

I read in one of the tabs on the anniversary of her death (so take with a grain of salt) some friend saying their marriage was not going very well at the time of her death. Apparently, he didn't want her to have a child and was angry she wouldn't have an abortion. She wanted the child very badly, but her going against his wishes resulted in him not having sex with her anymore and screwing around on her. IIRC the friend said that she was this sex goddess or sex object to him and it was marred by her being pregnant. So he didn't find her sexy after that. The friend said that if she had lived the marriage wouldn't have lasted because he objectified her as this sex symbol and he needed her to be that for him, not some child's mother that would cause her attention to be divided between him and a child. That made it very sad to me, because if true, she was risking a lot to have this baby and had begged for its life.

by Anonymousreply 15906/12/2014

R142,not wrong. People who weren't dopes regarded it as a stupid movie with terrible acting. The Graduate and Bonnie & Clyde came out the same year, and both were must-see films. I'm sure people loved Valley of the Dolls in small towns and malls across America, though.

Sharon Tate was far from a household name.

by Anonymousreply 16006/12/2014

It's always bugged me (don't know why) that Watson, Atkins and Krenwinkel made sure most of the lights (except for a reading lamp) were turned off while they stabbed the victims to death. Supposedly Jay was talking down Sharon after she had an argument with Roman on the phone. Roman wasn't going to make it back to LA for his birthday and Sharon was disappointed. While eating dinner with his family back home in Denton, Texas, Watson's relatives started talking about who could have murdered "those famous people out in California" and what crossed Watson's mind was how he had noticed how exquisitely beautiful Sharon Tate's face was while he was stabbing her.

Details like that make my heart hurt.

by Anonymousreply 16106/12/2014

Wasn't there a falling out a few years after the murders between Polanski and Sharon's family? Sharon's mother and sister were very active during the trials and later on with hearings and other activities regarding the Manson family. Doris Tate was very upset years later when she found out that Tex Watson fathered four children via conjugal visits.

by Anonymousreply 16206/12/2014

It could be argued that Jay Sebring had more name recognition than Sharon at that time. He had been heavily publicized as the "barber to the stars" for his haircuts for some of the top actors like McQueen and Newman.

I am sure that most people assumed that Abigail Folger was related to the coffee family too. The name was not that common.

by Anonymousreply 16306/12/2014

[quote]People who weren't dopes regarded it as a stupid movie with terrible acting. The Graduate and Bonnie & Clyde came out the same year, and both were must-see films. I'm sure people loved Valley of the Dolls in small towns and malls across America, though.

Like Grace Metalious before her, Jacqueline Susann was considered a trashy and untalented writer who wrote novels for the sake of sexual titillation, one step up from the Harlequin bodice busters. Some of those trashy novels were made into trashy movies. VOTD was among them.

I think it's a mistake to say the movie found its success in small towns and malls. I don't know who made up its biggest audience, but I seem to recall it was enjoyed by people who liked trashy paperbacks with no redeeming value beyond getting them wet. My guess is that it found its biggest audience at matinee showings.

by Anonymousreply 16406/12/2014

It was a big Christmas release hit. Bad reviews but a moneymaker.

by Anonymousreply 16506/12/2014

It's not surprising the movie made money. It was probably low budget even by the standards of the time. There were no stars in it, so salaries were probably low.

The books made money too.

We've talked about how different fame was at the time, but so was entertainment. Those books and movies were considered highly risqué at the time and people probably felt they were being adventurous seeing them.

Movies were not that open about sex. Porn wasn't an everyday thing like it is now.

by Anonymousreply 16606/12/2014

[quote]Wasn't there a falling out a few years after the murders between Polanski and Sharon's family ?

Not that I'm aware of. I know that Sharon's sister Debra is on good terms with Roman and that Roman stayed in touch with Sharon's parents even after he fled the U.S. in the late 70s.

by Anonymousreply 16706/12/2014

R162 Doris Tate spent ten years after Sharon's killing in a deep depression and wouldn't talk of her daughter's murder. Stephen Kay who helped Bugliosi prosecute the killers sent Doris a heads up in 1982 about LaBianca murderess Leslie Van Houten coming up for parole. With his help and The National Enquirer, Doris obtained almost one thousand signatures from the public to fight Van Houten's parole. It worked and so started Doris Tate's fight for victims rights. She died in 1992 and youngest daughter Patti took over until her death from breast cancer in 2000. Debbie Tate the lone survivor now goes and fights against parole for the Manson killers.

by Anonymousreply 16806/13/2014

The movie made money because the book was the hottest thing to read when it was published in 1966. People couldn't wait to see the film. The critics hated it but the public still went in groves (whether they liked it or not is topic for another thread).

Low budget!? Hardly. I think Fox spent over 5 million to produce the picture and that was 1968.

No stars in it? Patty Duke was an Academy Award winner for Christ's sake plus very popular with television audiences because of The Patty Duke Show. Barbara Parkins was big at the time due to "Peyton Place." Susan Hayward held her own and was what you would consider a MOVIE STAR. And don't forget before Hayward joined on the whole Judy Garland fiasco. No "Valley of the Dolls" was hyped up and a big production for FOX then. it's considered a camp fest blah blah blah. But people still want to see it. I guess it's made it's mark for the good and bad.

by Anonymousreply 16906/13/2014

R161 yeah, I think he wrote he used to taunt his mother about "how beautiful Sharon was right up until the time I cut her!" The son of a bitch is where he belongs and that's probably too good for him!?

by Anonymousreply 17006/13/2014

R158 Sharon never thought she was a great dramatic actress so to keep saying she was a B or C or D or F is moot. She said she liked light comedy and I personally think she was good at that. She used to tell people all the time that "Roman's the one with talent." But you know? What the fuck!? Most women and a helluva lot guys would have liked to accomplished what this beauty did in just 26 years. A little television, a handful of movies, lots of modeling and a Golden Globe nominee. That's not so bad in my book. And in Hollywood then and now people remember her as a sweet soul who never said cruel things about people. I wonder how many celebrities today with allot bigger and longer careers will leave that sort of legacy?

by Anonymousreply 17106/13/2014

Jacqueline Susann was no Grace Metalious.

by Anonymousreply 17206/13/2014

R172 No she wasn't. But she was a fantastic self promoter and knew how to make a buck!

by Anonymousreply 17306/13/2014

r169 I wanted to write the same thing but was closed out due to primetime LOL

by Anonymousreply 17406/13/2014

R173, you should read Lovely Me by Barbara Seaman. Susann was certainly a self-promoter extraordinaire, but she was no writer. As in, she didn't write the majority of her own trashy crap books.

by Anonymousreply 17506/13/2014

R175 I read that book. Didn't Jackie type everything all out but then the editor had to assemble it and edit the shit out of it!?

by Anonymousreply 17606/13/2014

How did Larry deal with the murders?

by Anonymousreply 17706/13/2014

No, r170, you have paraphrased a line from "In Cold Blood."

“I didn’t want to harm the man. I thought he was a very nice gentleman. Soft-spoken. I thought so right up to the moment I cut his throat.”

by Anonymousreply 17806/13/2014

R169, this may come as a surprise to you but many of us weren't that impressed by Patty Duke's godawful TV show. She was good as the female Tommy but that was Anne Bancroft's movie.

Barbara Parkins was known for Peyton Place? Good enough reason not to see anything she was in.

So much for all of those huge stars.

Everyone I knew who saw the movie when it first came out hated it. I never bothered because it wasn't my kind of movie.

by Anonymousreply 17906/13/2014

r179 just b/c u didn't like the PD show and I guess Peyton Place, the American public did.. And of course seeing America's sweetheart (Patty Duke) playing against type was a major draw. And let's not forget the letting go of Judy Garland being replace by Hayward was a must see.

by Anonymousreply 18006/13/2014

She was an irregular cast member on "The Beverly Hillbillies."

by Anonymousreply 18206/14/2014

[quote]To my knowledge, he has never said they had a deep passionate love affair -- like Tony Bennett did with Marilyn. By the end of his life, Bennett was saying that they had a torrid affair and she had his baby and he had her get an abortion.

For the record, Tony Bennett is alive (but, okay, safe to say he's at the end portion).

by Anonymousreply 18306/14/2014

R183, I meant Tony CURTIS. haha

I also meant to say that he later said that Marilyn was pregnant with his baby and told her to abort it and how he now felt bad about it, yadda yadda yadda.

by Anonymousreply 18406/14/2014

R161, R170, R178, what I found chilling was that he sliced up her face before they all started taking turns stabbing her. That's what he was referring to, that she was exquisitely beautiful before he marred her face.

In this morgue photo, you can see where he knifed her left cheek.

by Anonymousreply 18506/14/2014

R185, what is that thing coming out of her chest? It looks like an erect penis.

by Anonymousreply 18606/14/2014

R185, I've read many books on these murders, but have never read any of the comments you are attributing to Charles "Tex" Watson.

I have shown how you made up one "quote" using "In Cold Blood."

There was never said "They all took turns stabbing" Sharon.

What is your source?

No, I won't click on your link.

by Anonymousreply 18706/14/2014

Tex Watson admitted to stabbing Sharon Tate. He did cut her cheek slightly with his knife before stabbing her.

In his book "Will You Die For Me?" Watson said he taunted his mother about how beautiful Sharon was right up until the time he stabbed her.

I've read "In Cold Blood" and remember the part where Perry Smith said that Herb Clutter was "a nice man and I thought so right up until the time I slit his throat."

by Anonymousreply 18806/14/2014

I always had the feeling Polanski suffered from PTSD after the murders, sincr PTSD sufferers do everything to avoid confrontation with the cause of their trauma.

by Anonymousreply 18906/14/2014

Valley of the Dolls was the movie of a best selling book. People went for that reason. Word of mouth did the rest -- it was a hit even though the reviews were bad.

My never-goes-to-the-movies father even went with my mother. (They wouldn't let 12 years old me go).

It wasn't a hit because of any of the stars, it was because of the book.

by Anonymousreply 19006/14/2014

Sharon was very gorgeous. She and that other poor girl Reeva share similarities:

by Anonymousreply 19106/14/2014

Reeva could have been Sharon's daughter:

by Anonymousreply 19206/14/2014

Peyton Place was HUGE in the mid 60's and all the move mags of the day promoted the cast of PP more than any other tv show. Mia Farrow was the queen of this, with Barbara Parkins a distant second in popularity, but still wildly popular. Parkins wanted the part of Neely and gave a good reading, but Fox (which also produced the tv PP) insisted on Babs for Anne.

So Parkins and Duke were definitley A- list, Tate probably was B- list mainly because of Polanski. She traveled in his circle, and mixed with Fonda, Beatty, David Bailey, Denueve, that whole crew.

by Anonymousreply 19306/14/2014

R193, Barbara Parkins, Mia Farrow and Patty Duke were TV ACTORS. A-list on TV, not in movies. Doesn't matter how popular their TV shows were. Tate was unknown was not known to the public.

by Anonymousreply 19406/14/2014

R192, Tate didn't have a daughter. Her only child (in her womb) was killed with her.

by Anonymousreply 19506/14/2014

R192: Hmm I'm aware of that. That's why I said 'could have been'.

by Anonymousreply 19606/14/2014

Oops sorry, the immediate above is from R192 to R195.

by Anonymousreply 19706/14/2014

R194 You're correct except for stating "it didn't matter." Obviously it did because they were hired in a big budget picture. And Sharon Tate as you stated was not known to the average general public. She was however very well known in Hollywood. It matters not because after her murder she became a star and now it seems iconic. I've seen more about Sharon Tate the last ten to twenty years than ever before.

by Anonymousreply 19806/14/2014

R189 He could have suffered this condition before the murders. He survived the Holocaust that took his mother's life. He has had a lot of personal tragedy. Much of it he brought to himself.

by Anonymousreply 19906/14/2014

In Roman Polanski's version of Macbeth (a must-see), the witches are clearly supposed to be the Manson girls. Of course, like Woody Allen, RT will make no public connection to his personal life in his work (obfuscation, but his prerogative), but the witches are obviously the crazy, sleazy, evil Manson girls. So he did deal with it in his work somewhat, even if he won't admit it.

by Anonymousreply 20006/14/2014

R198, you're missing the point. None of them were A-List movie stars -- that was the question, even though they got the movie roles.

Sharon Tate was know in the industry, okay. She was by no means an A, B or C-list movie actress to the public, which is OP's original question.

by Anonymousreply 20106/14/2014

R171 so true. Time to close the thread on poor Sharon Tate and whatever list you think she made.

by Anonymousreply 20206/14/2014

It's true. She was an archetype of the total blonde knockout who was kind and loving - a rare find and the cornerstone of the tragedy of the skeevy and evil Manson murders.

by Anonymousreply 20306/14/2014

Sharon never thought she was a great dramatic actress so to keep saying she was a B or C or D or F is moot. She said she liked light comedy and I personally think she was good at that. She used to tell people all the time that "Roman's the one with talent." But you know? What the fuck!? Most women and a helluva lot guys would have liked to accomplished what this beauty did in just 26 years. A little television, a handful of movies, lots of modeling and a Golden Globe nominee. That's not so bad in my book. And in Hollywood then and now people remember her as a sweet soul who never said cruel things about people. I wonder how many celebrities today with allot bigger and longer careers will leave that sort of legacy?

“Goodbye, Sharon, and may the angels welcome you to heaven and the martyrs guide your way,” Rev. Peter O’Reilly at the funeral service

by Anonymousreply 20406/14/2014

She had nice tits, though.

by Anonymousreply 20506/15/2014

R204 confuses being popular with being good. A list is about being popular and well-known, which Sharon was not in 1969. It is not moot that very few in the movie going public knew who she was until her death. Repeating her meager career achievements does not change this.

by Anonymousreply 20606/15/2014

And, R202, why are you constantly answering yourself?

by Anonymousreply 20706/15/2014

R207 I don't. There are four of us using the computer and we all post on data lounge. Believe it or not!!?

by Anonymousreply 20906/15/2014

R208, when have they done a film on Tate's life? She's only been portrayed as a minor character in the Manson family movies. She's never been the focus, because that's what/all she's remembered for.

by Anonymousreply 21006/15/2014

R209, get acquainted with TROLLDAR.

At 202 you tell yourself R171, "so true."

At 204, you cut and paste what you wrote in R171, and congratulate yourself with "WELL SAID!"

by Anonymousreply 21106/15/2014

R212, you truly have a problem. The kind that gets someone banned. Bye!

by Anonymousreply 21306/15/2014

Jennifer took the blue ones.

by Anonymousreply 21506/16/2014

what color ones did Neely take?

by Anonymousreply 21606/22/2014

I actually think r1 may have hit on the nail. jessica alba circa blue crush and if married to a hollywood player.

by Anonymousreply 21706/22/2014

Jessica Alba wasn't in Blue Crush

by Anonymousreply 21806/22/2014

Well that other flick with Blue in the title.

by Anonymousreply 21906/22/2014

I always wondered why the Mansons killed her and didn't cut her baby out and take it. She was 8+ months pregnant the baby would have survived. That would have seemed to be more in line with their general craziness.

by Anonymousreply 22006/22/2014

Lovely interview with Sharon discussing being a starlet, circa 1966. She really was very articulate and poised. Some great answers she gave.

by Anonymousreply 22106/28/2014

There was also a 10 minute or so film on Sharon Tate, which I saw a few weeks ago during an intermission on TMC. She was filming 1967's "Eye of the Devil" at the time.

They interviewed her, David Hemmings, David Niven & Deborah Kerr, all her co-stars in the movie. She & Niven in particular, liked each other immensely. The interview film was absolutely creepy in light of what ultimately happened to Sharon.

I would say she was not yet A List at this time, but certainly on her way & very well known already.

by Anonymousreply 22206/28/2014

How strange people did not know her! I was growing up in Spain being a kid at that time and I certainly knew her. And knew perfectly well how beautiful she was.

by Anonymousreply 22311/05/2014

A couple of months ago "People" magazine had a cover story on her (as if anyone really cares at this point) and about the book her sister has published containing the actress' ICONIC photographs. Ummm-no. Other than the press still of the 3 stars in their nightgowns for VOD, I'd be hard pressed to remember even one picture of Sharon Tate.

by Anonymousreply 22411/05/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!