Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Chautauqua Institution

Has anyone at Datalounge attended?

by Anonymousreply 810/13/2013

Yes. It is very lovely there but haven't been in years. We used to visit a lot as kids. It's nice if you are into Victorian homes.

by Anonymousreply 110/10/2013

Yes, I've been there but not recently. And frankly, I think it's a bit too high on the intellectual scale for most on this site.

It's very pretty especially in the summer and fall, and has an interesting history. The best part is its all walkable. Just check out the summer program schedule before you go as that's really what it's about.

And stop by Lillydale for a psychic reading. It's not too far away, but way too creepy for me.

by Anonymousreply 210/10/2013

I was a student of their summer theatre school way back in 2000. Lovely place.

by Anonymousreply 310/10/2013

DL fave Anthony Recker went to Catasauqua High School.

by Anonymousreply 410/10/2013

I've visited but didn't partake in any of the programs. My mother stayed there and said it was great. When she got back she told me that I would of really enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 510/11/2013

There's a pretty little open-air amphitheater on the grounds. I saw 10,000 Maniacs (Jamestown locals, originally) play there once years ago.

I've always thought about going back some summer and attending some lectures. I used to hear broadcasts of some of them on Ithaca's NPR affiliate.

There's a bridge or causeway nearby that crosses Chautauqua Lake that makes for a gorgeous drive.

by Anonymousreply 610/11/2013

That's my home county and Chautauqua Institution (which began as a religious retreat in the 1800s) is a wonderful gem. Art, theater, opera, concerts, speakers, big name guest performers, all within a (NO CARS!) community of gardens, wooded paths and charming summer homes on a lake - who could ask for anything more?

by Anonymousreply 710/13/2013

[quote]There's a pretty little open-air amphitheater on the grounds. I saw 10,000 Maniacs (Jamestown locals, originally) play there once years ago.

I saw the Monkees there in the 80's!

by Anonymousreply 810/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.