Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

When I was a kid . . .

I thought that all the songs on a record album had been recorded in one long recording session because the record player played the whole side if you wanted.

by Anonymousreply 5110/15/2013

That's okay. I thought all songs on the radio were performed live and each band/group was standing there waiting for their turn to play next.

by Anonymousreply 110/10/2013

I thought everything on TV was real and actually happening as I watched.

by Anonymousreply 210/10/2013

I thought Prince did all of the songs on the Lovesexy album in one take because there are no individual tracks on it. I later learned that he did it for "artistic integrity" because the album as a whole should be viewed as a work of art in itself. I also learned he was an ass.

by Anonymousreply 310/10/2013

I thought people could spontaneously break out into song and dance like they did on Mary Fucking Poppins.

You've ALL been a great disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 410/10/2013

I thought we'd be traveling to our lunar colonies in flying cars by now.

by Anonymousreply 510/10/2013

"Rose, pick this up"

by Anonymousreply 610/10/2013

I thought that when you went to bed and said your prayers you had to keep your eyes closed afterward and you couldn't say a word or else that negated the prayer so you had to pray all over again.

by Anonymousreply 710/10/2013

I thought teachers weren't allow to swear. I heard the shop teacher swear in 7th grade and I was shocked, shocked I say!

by Anonymousreply 810/10/2013

Well, OP you're not too far off. The big Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland and other's Capitol albums at least were recorded over a couple or a few days. They are marvelous too. They just made it a pretty simple process, which saves a ton of time and money. Of course, what they had was talent!

by Anonymousreply 910/11/2013

I thought the Great Lakes on the map were ice on top of the United States, that President Ford built my father's car.

by Anonymousreply 1010/11/2013

I burst out into song all the time.

When I was a kid, my sister persuaded me that if I wore dark socks to gym class, I would get blood poisoning and die.

by Anonymousreply 1110/11/2013

I thought that when Barbara Eden made a serving tray full of items appear in her hands on I Dream of Jeannie that she must have run off camera and VERY quickly got them.

by Anonymousreply 1210/11/2013

I did, too, op.

by Anonymousreply 1310/11/2013

I thought the world really was black and white in the past.

by Anonymousreply 1410/11/2013

When I was in pre-school I thought Speed Racer was a human being, and didn't really understand why he looked so flat.

When someone explained animation to me, I didn't think it was possible. Nobody could possibly make that many drawings!

by Anonymousreply 1510/11/2013

I had no clue a real human mouth was being superimposed on the cartoon character, Clutch Cargo, to it make seem more "real." Creeped the hell out of me but I had no idea why it seemed so off at the time.

I have an older brother and cousin who thought the cartoons were really cool though so I was just kind of dragged along.

And the all evil fish smoking underwater in the Diver Dan serial? Well, everyone smokes so ok...

Yes, I'm old but have rewatched a lot of this stuff on dvd these days and have to laugh at some of the stuff are parents let us fragile little flowers be exposed to.

Me, I'm a proud grad of Whatsamatta U.

by Anonymousreply 1610/11/2013

It was only up to a couple of months ago that I understood that Artica and Antartica were different.

Not that one was north and one was at the south pole, but I thought the North Artica had land under the ice----I didn't realize there was no land under the ice at all up there.

And I always wondered why Antartica was a continent and Artica was not called a contintent.

Did I tell you I have two MS degrees?

by Anonymousreply 1710/11/2013

You're cute, r17.

by Anonymousreply 1810/11/2013

Are you all mentally disabled? "I thought" this and "I thought" that. Were you all in the slow reading group, too?

by Anonymousreply 1910/11/2013

The moon was following/racing our car.

by Anonymousreply 2010/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 2110/11/2013

When R19 was a kid, all the other kids laughed at him and pushed him around in the schoolyard.

by Anonymousreply 2210/11/2013

R1, I did too. I remember being home from school on a snow day because of a huge blizzard, and I asked my mother how all the musicians could make it to the radio station in the snow.

by Anonymousreply 2310/12/2013

I thought Easter eggs were solid chocolate, I was sooo disappointed when I found out they were hollow

by Anonymousreply 2410/12/2013

I thought all movies were made by Steven Spielberg.

by Anonymousreply 2510/12/2013

I thought Lea and Cory were an actual "couple"

by Anonymousreply 2610/12/2013

I used to ask my mother to wipe my bottom until I was in the 8th grade.

by Anonymousreply 2710/12/2013

I could never understand why you had to rewind a cassette tape but didn't have to rewind a record.

by Anonymousreply 2810/12/2013

The prayer line 'if I should die before I wake ' freaked me out thinking of a hundred ways I could die.

by Anonymousreply 2910/12/2013

I thought a foggy day was a " froggy" day and would look deeply into the mist for the frogs

by Anonymousreply 3010/12/2013

I thought Jesus was buried wearing a bath robe in a ditch next to my great grandma's house.

by Anonymousreply 3110/12/2013

Until I was four or five, I thought that the smell of gasoline was the smell of sunshine. (Obviously I must have been sitting in the car on a sunny day while the attendant filled the tank, and then brought my mom the credit slip to sign on a little tray.) Along the same lines, I also thought the sound of jets flying above was actually the sound of clouds moving through the sky....

by Anonymousreply 3210/12/2013

When I was four, we had a kitten. The neighbor kids got it wet with the hose. The next day it was gone and my cunt sister Julie told me it had died (my parents had just gotten rid of it but I didn't know).

So for the longest time I thought that if a cat got wet it would die. There was some commercial playing around then where these kids rescue a cat and they bathe it. I remember coming unglued and bawling my eyes out because I thought they were killing it and the worst part was THEY WERE SMILING.

by Anonymousreply 3310/12/2013

I thought that if you silently repeated something scary before you went to sleep you'd avoid having a nightmare about it.

by Anonymousreply 3410/12/2013

We kids would chase after the end of a rainbow, which always seemed to be "right there" over that hill. We were all poor and believed that there was a pot of gold there. We would run hard because it was said that if the rainbow disappeared before we got there, the pot would go with it.

We never quite made it. Close, but no cigar.

by Anonymousreply 3510/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 3610/13/2013

When my parents would take us on road trips, I thought that the highway sign "Weigh Station" pointed to an exit for a town called Weigh Station. I remember marveling at how many roads led to that town. And that there were similarly-named towns in PA, VA, MD, NJ, etc.

I admit that it was not until I was in my early 20's and driving myself around the interstates that I realized it was the stop for large trucks to get off the highway and get weighed. At my first realization I pulled off the road and had a giant belly laugh at myself.

by Anonymousreply 3710/14/2013

That must have been quite a moment, R37.

by Anonymousreply 3810/14/2013

I thought that mannequins were alive. They had lives they lived after the stores closed. One theory was that after the store closed, they would put on pajamas and lay on the display beds at JC Penney, because they were so tired from standing all day.

One of my favorite stories from when I was a kid:

Mom took me shopping to a busy department store around Christmas time. I gleefully announced from my perch in the shopping cart:

"Mom, do mannequins have BUTTS!"

"NO!" She said quietly and sternly.

"Well then how do they go to the bathroom?"

The people standing around us though this was hilarious.

At the height of my fascination with mannequins, that Nickelodeon show "Today's Special" premiered, and I was in heaven! I knew it was true!

by Anonymousreply 3910/14/2013

Are you still a kid, R24? You sound quite sheltered. Easter eggs come in many different varieties from large candy corporations to small mom-and-pop operations, and the fillings run the gamut from peanut butter to coconut creme to marshmallow to chocolate fudge to, yes, "solid chocolate". "Easter egg" can also refer to non-candy items like plastic hollow eggs made up of two interlocking pieces that can be filled with anything small enough to fit in them (candies, money, small toys, etc) to, of course, the original Easter eggs: hard boiled chicken eggs with dyed or painted shells.

by Anonymousreply 4010/14/2013

I thought the song " I saw mom kiss Santa Clause" (or something like that, not my language)was about a woman cheating on her husband during Christmas time. Really. I thought it was a bit inappropriate as a Xmas song.

At the end of Little House on the Prairie, as a little kid, I wondered how Laura managed to jump and stop the motion, stay in the air and not fall back. My parents had to explain about the freeze-frame.

As an even smaller kid, I thought bloody Catweazle could watch in our living room from the tv, and was waiting for me in my bedroom, hidden in the night. I saw him as angry and malevolant. Bloody Catweazle!

Other than that, I was a rather well-adjusted, normal kid.

by Anonymousreply 4110/14/2013

I thought the time signature on 45 rpm records was the time of day the song was recorded. A lot of my favorite songs were recorded at 1:45.

by Anonymousreply 4210/14/2013

When I was three, I thought you had to put the needle [italic]on the label[/italic] to make the music play.

by Anonymousreply 4310/14/2013

R39, watch the Twilight Zone episode "The After Hours".

by Anonymousreply 4410/14/2013

I thought the grates on a bridge/road chewed up tires as you drove over them but only on smaller cars like my grandmother's Mercedes.

by Anonymousreply 4510/14/2013

I used to see the "pedestrian crossing" street signs that were abbreviated as "PED XING". It took me years to figure out what the sign meant. I remember looking up "xing" in the dictionary...

by Anonymousreply 4610/14/2013

[quote] I thought everything on TV was real and actually happening as I watched

Me too, and I was freaked the fuck out by a Twilight Zone episode called "It's a Good Life." In that episode, 6 year old Anthony Fremont (Billy Mumy) had the power to read thoughts, cause people to catch on fire, turn farm animals into monsters, banish people forever to a cornfield, stop all electricity, turn people into Jack-in-the-boxes, manipulate the weather and basically rule the universe.

I thought it was really happening in a town in Ohio (Rod Serling said it was in Ohio). There was a boy on my block I was afraid of (with good reason -- he tried to molest me and grew up to batter his mother into a brain-damaged husk) and I thought he might find that he had the power to rule our world. I was so afraid that I cried (I was 5 years old).

[quote] I thought that mannequins were alive. They had lives they lived after the stores closed.

That was also a Twilight Zone episode. With Anne Francis, whose mole fascinated me.

by Anonymousreply 4710/14/2013

I thought one dollar equalled one pound which equalled one euro, etc. Basically that one unit of one currency was equal in value to one unit of another currency. It wasn't till I was 20 and went abroad for the first time that I learned this wasn't the case. I am stupid.

by Anonymousreply 4810/14/2013

"That was also a Twilight Zone episode. With Anne Francis, whose mole fascinated me."

R47, see R44.

by Anonymousreply 4910/14/2013

R46 - me too! I was a bright kid, but that just passed right by me. Ped Xing - it really isn't that obvious.

by Anonymousreply 5010/14/2013

[R33] wins. That's really cute.

I also remember thinking the musicians were playing live from the radio station.i would also get really scared watching Scooby-Doo! I remember my mom telling me I couldn't watch it until I was big enough to handle it.

I loved my Fisher Price people until about 6 or so, when I started getting creeped out that they didn't have arms or legs, I think because I saw something on TV about a limbless circus performer.

by Anonymousreply 5110/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!