Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Edgar Allen Poe exhibit at the Pierpont Morgan Library and Museum

It's inspired me to read some of Poe's tales to my 9 yr old daughter.

Last year I read her The Raven but I want to try a short story.

Any recommendations for something not too gruesome or not too wordy? She has seen all the Universal horror movies of the 30s and 40s and some Hammer movies of the 60s but I've kept her away from real gore and violence.

by Gay dadreply 1810/12/2013

Link to exhibit

by Gay dadreply 110/10/2013

I think the poems are best for reading aloud. Let her read the stories for herself -- she'll stop reading anything that bothers her. I'm surprised at some of the stuff I read at 9 that would be too upsetting for me now, including most/all of Poe's stories.

by Gay dadreply 210/10/2013

Agree with r2. The poems are wonderful to read aloud, and Poe's stories are actually not at all gory by today's standards. There are no graphic descriptions of blood, violence or gore.

Try The Murders in the Rue Morgue or The Purloined Letter -- they're just detective stories with no blood.

Then again, when I think back that I used to read Stephen King when I was 10-12 years old, maybe you're underestimating her appetite for scares.

by Gay dadreply 310/10/2013

When I was about her age I read the poems and stories. Annabelle Lee and El Dorado are good, I had to memorize them for school.

I don't think any of the stories are too scary considering what's on cable every night.

by Gay dadreply 410/10/2013

Actually R3, The Murders... are pretty disgusting and there are detailed description of how the victims were killed and what happened to their bodies. And the conclusion makes it even more gross. i wouldn't recomend it for a child.

by Gay dadreply 510/10/2013

ALLAN, not Allen

by Gay dadreply 610/10/2013

R5, I don't have kids but I was a child in the '50s. My parents let me read everything available at the library, which was pretty much anything except sex (violence was socially acceptable then).

When I was 3, my Puritan grandmother terrified me with tales of the crucifixion -- after that, Poe seemed fairly benign.

What bothered me the most at age 9 were the stories of Lady Jane Grey (executed at 16) & the little Princes in the Tower (murdered at 13 & 10). I was also upset by teenage Beth dying of consumption in "Little Women", which I read when I was 6 -- then 15 year old Anne Frank when I was 12. Not to mention the movie "Old Yeller" when I was 11.

Perhaps children are more affected by the deaths of other children & animals than they are by the deaths of adults?

by Gay dadreply 710/10/2013

"violence was socially acceptable then"

It still is. Pity sex isn't.

by Gay dadreply 810/10/2013

Try reading her the writings of SAKI instead. You'll both love it!

by Gay dadreply 910/11/2013

Patti LuPone's bio was very scary.

by Gay dadreply 1010/11/2013

"The Raven" and "Annabel Lee" are scary enough for a nine-year-old. Poe is not children's literature. He was a twisted man who wrote twisted stories for twisted people. She doesn't need to hear about people being tortured by the Inquisition or buried alive or dying and having all their teeth pulled out by their grieving boyfriends. If she's interested, she can read it on her own.

by Gay dadreply 1110/11/2013

Poe doe.

by Gay dadreply 1210/11/2013

What about Grimm's fairy tales? Hansel & Gretel were fattened up so a witch could eat them, then they pushed her in an oven and cooked her alive.

That's leaving out the original "and then the wicked stepmother was made to dance in red hot iron shoes until she died" in Snow White or Cinderella, don't remember which. A stepmother gives her stepdaughter poison, trying to kill her.

Then there's the Little Match Girl, who was barefoot and ill dressed in the freezing cold and snow, and couldn't go home because she would be beaten if she didn't sell all the matches. As she fell into hypothermia, she imagined her dead grandmother, the only person who had ever been kind to her in her life. She froze to death and her body was found in the morning. That was sweet Hans Christian Anderson. The Red Shoes? A girl puts on bewitched shoes and is forced to dance herself to death in them.

These were well loved children's stories for centuries. Disney even did some of them.

Poe is a lightweight compared to that.

by Gay dadreply 1310/11/2013

Try "The Cask of Amontillado."

The thousand injuries of Fortunado I had borne the best I could. But when he ventured upon insult, I vowed revenge.

by Gay dadreply 1410/12/2013

"ill dressed"

That is truly scary.

by Gay dadreply 1510/12/2013

The teachers used to play record albums of Vincent Price reading Edgar Allan Poe every Halloween in jr high.

by Gay dadreply 1610/12/2013

r13, the brothers Grimm were folklorists, not children's book authors, and the German folk tales they collected were definitely not all meant to be told in the presence of children.

by Gay dadreply 1710/12/2013

I agree with R9 about Saki. Not better than Poe, just different -- some are funny & some are sinister -- I love them all.

by Gay dadreply 1810/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!