Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

THEATRE GOSSIP #123: "SMILES OF AN AUTUMN NIGHT" Edition

Season's drab, last thread even worse. No pontificating in this one, kids! Let's send in the clowns because they're desperately needed.

We're going to Lovett: Emma's coming! But ... it's the Lonny Price production. What does Patti have to say about this?

"Mr. McNalley? There's a Mr. Steggart on line one. He said it's urgent."

Jessie's Beautiful! Very good almost-raves in SF. Will Ms. Mueller wipe out Kelli O'Hara's chance to finally cop the Tony?

KZ's Dolly Gallagher Levi hits ChiTown next week! Can she find time to drop us a few cheering words?

A Night with Janis! Snow Geese! Time to Kill, The Winslow Boy and Betrayal - it's a jam-packed October (by contemporary standards) - there's hope for the season yet.

Chits - Cheets - Chita! Choose carefully.

Stop the boring blabbering - it's killing us!

QUEEN HIGH! TOP HOLE! HELLO, DADDY!

Let the revels begin ...

by Anonymousreply 60010/21/2013

Great Start OP!

Queen High!- starring Rachelle Rak

Top Hole!- starring Max Von Essen

Hello, Daddy!!- starring Marc Kudisch

by Anonymousreply 110/10/2013

Hugh Jackman's unemployed ex-lover is busted for his racist social media rants against several DL faves.

I smell a book deal, "Me and Hugh".

by Anonymousreply 210/10/2013

Norbert is sick? Or just sick of it?

by Anonymousreply 310/10/2013

[quote]The show itself had some problems, but the score to GREY GARDENS is the most ravishing theater score of the last few years.

And they've never been heard from since...

by Anonymousreply 410/10/2013

R5. Miserable shit. Why don't you try to make silk purse of a true sow's ear? C'mon, let's see what you can do, whiner.

by Anonymousreply 610/10/2013

Dear r4, The team of Grey Gardens wrote FAR FROM HEAVEN and destroyed its possibilities! - and they have been dumped from FINDING NEVERLAND, So There!

by Anonymousreply 710/10/2013

[quote]Girlfriend, [R546], what part of "Oh, honestly" - which was the extent of your comment - did you imagine was impossible to misinterpret?

I had to bring this over from the last thread, because it's spectacularly stupid.

And really--"Girlfriend"? At this late date? I'm sorry you lost whichever season of Drag Race you were competing on, but perhaps you should take a hint from it about stale patter.

by Anonymousreply 810/10/2013

OP, your banner headings are draining, but not in the sense of making anyone come.

I thought the last thread was fun!

r8, when I say "girlfriend," I am trying to speak in the language that I imagine you all are able to understand - which is to say, "gay life" from 1975, in Phoenix, in a country & western bar.

GREY GARDENS was pretentious dreck, and FAR FROM HEAVEN was unspeakable.

Kisses all around.

by Anonymousreply 910/10/2013

Butz probably took a few personal days after reading Reidel's column. That thing was worse than a bad review and he took four other composers down with it.

Love the quote about Audra's CD, however...

by Anonymousreply 1010/10/2013

By the way, OP:

Spell "Terrence McNally."

Can you?

(Bobby Steggert was actually really good in that play, which is a piece of reactionary egregiously pro-marriage pandering-to-straight-liberals nonsense.)

by Anonymousreply 1110/10/2013

I love r9/11. Even though we disagree about GREY GARDENS, we agree about McNally.

by Anonymousreply 1210/10/2013

r12! I'm single!

by Anonymousreply 1310/10/2013

I wonder why Bernadette passed on Sweeney Todd. All the queens wanted her.

Maybe she wanted it but they felt Emma Thompson would sell more tickets.

Or maybe she really doesn't like the role.

Patti Lu played it 4 times and people still prefer Angela.

Maybe Bernie is smart not to even try

by Anonymousreply 1410/10/2013

Bobby Steggert prays nightly that Yank! will open on Broadway, hopefully before he's too old for the lead role.

by Anonymousreply 1510/10/2013

Bobby may already be too old for Yank, especially if he does the McNally opus in between. IS Norbert back in tonight?

by Anonymousreply 1610/10/2013

Rent was a good musical that came out after 1983.

by Anonymousreply 1710/10/2013

Emma Thompson is a bigger star than Bernadette Peters. I doubt Peters turned it down, which isn't to say she wouldn't do so IF she was offered it.

by Anonymousreply 1810/10/2013

Rent was hot, festering garbage kept alive by the zombified corpse of Broadway Martyr Jonathan Larson.

by Anonymousreply 1910/10/2013

Rent one more Pulitzer Prizes and Tony Awards than R19.

by Anonymousreply 2010/10/2013

r189, I will tenderly gratify your man parts if you want!

RENT was a crime against humanity.

by Anonymousreply 2110/10/2013

r20: It's all in the timing, kid.

by Anonymousreply 2210/10/2013

Rent was shiteous.

by Anonymousreply 2310/10/2013

Norbert not back tonight. That's not a good omen, either for Norbert or the life of Big Fish.

by Anonymousreply 2410/10/2013

NO Norbert on Wednesday the 10th.

That show must truly suck without him to prop the piece of shit up.

by Anonymousreply 2510/10/2013

A TIME TO KILL will last about 45 minutes after it opens. a crappier play based on anything, I cannot recall.

At one point, machine gun fire comes from offstage, and the actors just stand there. No physical reactions at all. The only saving grace is the larger than life performance of Patrick Page, the only honest performance in the play.

YUCKKKK!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2610/10/2013

At least R19 knows how to write a coherent statement in English, R20.

by Anonymousreply 2710/10/2013

[quote][R12]! I'm single!

How shocking.

by Anonymousreply 2810/10/2013

Who's Norbit's understudy?

by Anonymousreply 2910/10/2013

Saw FUN HOME at the Public last night. Major work of art. Not sure if the public will get it, but its often really powerful. Tesori's best work since VIOLET. Sam Gold doesn't quite know his way around a musical, but his work is fine. Lisa Kron's book is nicely straightforward, which was a surprise. It's much more like going to a play than a musical.

by Anonymousreply 3010/10/2013

Never understood the appeal of "Rent" or "Bring in Da Noise", both HUGE hits at the time. Both bored me to tears.

by Anonymousreply 3110/10/2013

[quote]I wonder why Bernadette passed on Sweeney Todd. All the queens wanted her

She probably wants the next open run revival, not a three day event.

[quote]Rent was shiteous.

Gotta laugh at Theater Queens that are so above "RENT". It is a great show, it was an exciting time. People sleeping out in front of the theater to get rush and standing room. Loved and seen by millions for ten plus years, Pulitzer, Tonys but yes YOU didn't like it. Glad I don't know you.

by Anonymousreply 3210/10/2013

For anybody with real memories of the East Village in the '80's, "Rent" was a Disneyfied shitfest.

[quote]Loved and seen by millions for ten plus years, Pulitzer, Tonys but yes YOU didn't like it. Glad I don't know you.

You do realize that "you don't like X, and absolutely everybody likes x, so you're an icky person" isn't a terribly effective defense?

by Anonymousreply 3310/10/2013

[quote] Gotta laugh at Theater Queens that are so above "RENT". It is a great show, it was an exciting time. People sleeping out in front of the theater to get rush and standing room. Loved and seen by millions for ten plus years, Pulitzer, Tonys but yes YOU didn't like it. Glad I don't know you.

Agreed 100%. Not to mention that for most theatergoers and theatre professionals under the age of 35, Rent is what got them first interested. But it's "shiteous" according to some queen who lives with Mom and talks non stop about Follies...

by Anonymousreply 3410/10/2013

r32

Gurl plea'. How many people hate CATS?

by Anonymousreply 3510/10/2013

"Love the quote about Audra's CD, however..."

LOL, me too!

by Anonymousreply 3610/10/2013

KINKY BOOTS was so maligned in the last TG thread - ok, it is not a work of art, but its lack of pretention makes it an incredibly fun night at the theater. There are more than a few good performances and enjoyable songs, and the audience has a great time.

I saw it twice, and liked it better the second time.

by Anonymousreply 3710/10/2013

[quote] For anybody with real memories of the East Village in the '80's, "Rent" was a Disneyfied shitfest.

I'm so tired of this argument. Do you think that a WWII veteran wouldn't say the same about South Pacific? Do you think that someone who's family died while trying to settle the American West would say the same thing about Oklahoma? But yes, it's all about YOU and how you don't feel like Rent captured your edgy and exciting 80s existence.

by Anonymousreply 3810/10/2013

R31 not to sound flippant, but are you white?

Noise/Funk was hugely influential and inspiring work for a generation of young black theatre-goers, where we learned how to behave at the theatre and how to create work that reflected both our historical and contemporary lives. Savion Glover went to huge lengths to bring in schools and youth groups that couldn't afford the theatre and took time to answer questions and educate us. You may not have liked or gotten the show, but many of us did and have richer lives and careers in the theatre for it.

by Anonymousreply 3910/10/2013

COMET OF 1812 is apparently searching for a theater the size of TIME TO KILL...I see knives out in a few weeks

by Anonymousreply 4010/10/2013

[quote]But yes, it's all about YOU and how you don't feel like Rent captured your edgy and exciting 80s existence.

Erm, no. It's about reducing the East Village in the '80's to a wacky, happy-go-lucky themepark, when it wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 4110/10/2013

I don't recall RENT being happy-go-lucky, but whatever. It was a little too rah-rah, a little too middle class in its sentimentality, but happy-go-lucky? No. I don't remember that at all.

And yes, I lived in Alphabet City during the time the show covered, so don't let's start on that.

by Anonymousreply 4210/10/2013

[quote]Erm, no. It's about reducing the East Village in the '80's to a wacky, happy-go-lucky themepark, when it wasn't.

Except, and I think this was R38's point, this what ALL musicals pretty much do. They can achieve thematic and/or emotional depth, but they're all pretty much exaggerated, cartoon versions of whatever reality they're purporting to portray.

The East Village of RENT is no less sentimental or cliched or cartoony than the Paris of LA BOHEME.

by Anonymousreply 4310/10/2013

Sounds like a lot of jealous, unproduced theater writers on this thread....

by Anonymousreply 4410/10/2013

When Jessie M come back to Broadway, will her iPad be safe?

by Anonymousreply 4510/10/2013

[quote] Sounds like a lot of jealous, unproduced theater writers on this thread....

Exactly correct.

by Anonymousreply 4610/10/2013

Would Comet really spend all of that money to move across the street?

by Anonymousreply 4710/10/2013

That's umpossible!

by Anonymousreply 4810/10/2013

[quote]a generation of young black theatre-goers, where we learned how to behave at the theatre

Then you pulled your cell phones out at Diddy's "A Raisin in the Sun"

by Anonymousreply 4910/10/2013

I feel sorry for Sarah Schulman. Larson ripped her off. She deserved a percentage of the RENT profits. But she had a truly rotten, incompetent lawyer who fucked it up.

by Anonymousreply 5010/10/2013

Ah, yes. The "you're just JEALOUS!" argument, quite popular with tween girls and "Rent" groupies.

Jealous? Perhaps. Unproduced? No.

by Anonymousreply 5110/10/2013

Any word on John Lloyd Young winning the lead in the Jersey Boys movie?

by Anonymousreply 5210/10/2013

What's the Sarah Schulman story, R51?

by Anonymousreply 5310/10/2013

Grey Gardens really sucked. The first act was just an irrelevant curtain raiser. The second act was two great performances in search of a show. You have to of more than just recite all your favourite lines from a movie to make a musical. Plus they stole that "Eliza, where are my slippers?" ending from Alan Jay Lerner. And badly.

by Anonymousreply 5410/10/2013

Here ya go, r54.

by Anonymousreply 5510/10/2013

wow

by Anonymousreply 5610/10/2013

Yuck!!! Even more of a reason to hate RENT besides that crappy second act.

by Anonymousreply 5710/10/2013

Gang, Get the book BACKSTAGE PASS TO BROADWAY: True Tales from a Theatre Press Agent by Susan L. Shulman. It's a gas!! Her chapter on DREAM and Lesley Ann is a blast!

And congratulations to WICKED for 10 YEARS on BROADWAY!!

xox

by Anonymousreply 5810/10/2013

[quote] Ah, yes. The "you're just JEALOUS!" argument, quite popular with tween girls and "Rent" groupies.

You don't like Rent. We get it. Many, many, many people disagree with you. Move on.

by Anonymousreply 5910/10/2013

[quote]COMET OF 1812

Is there a part for me?

by Anonymousreply 6010/10/2013

r37 the audience has a great time at Mamma Mia, too. So what's your point? (I think I've made mine.)

by Anonymousreply 6110/10/2013

r60 I am one who never saw RENT, but I know many many people who did, and they ALL thought it was shit. (I guess that consensus steered me clear of it.)

by Anonymousreply 6210/10/2013

Bernadette could never do Sweeney- there is no where in the show where she can turn on the faucet and cry. Rent, like Mama Mia got a pass because both opened after a tragedy and the critics would never diss the shows. Larsen died after the dress rehearal I believe and Mama opened after 9/11. Rent isn't a bad show but I never understood the ugly set. Mama Mia is a piece of shit with the worst choreogrpahy since Cats.

by Anonymousreply 6310/10/2013

MAMMA- with two M's you cunt!

by Anonymousreply 6410/10/2013

BREAKING CRAIG BIERKO! BREAKING!

Outta MATILDA for 12 weeks.. betcha he don't come back

Craig Bierko, the Tony Award-nomi­nated stage and film ac­tor who re­cent­ly joined the Broad­way cast of “Ma­tilda the Mu­si­cal” as the vil­lain­ous Miss Trunch­bull, has taken a leave from the pro­duc­tion fol­low­ing an in­jury. In a state­ment re­leased Tues­day, press rep­re­sen­ta­tives for “Ma­tilda” said, “Due to a shoul­der in­jury which de­layed his start in ‘Ma­tilda the Mu­si­cal’ and which has been ag­gra­vated dur­ing per­form­ance, Craig Bierko will be tak­ing a 12-week dis­ability leave from the pro­duc­tion. At this time, under­stud­ies Chris Hoch and Ben Thomp­son will be play­ing Miss Trunch­bull.” Mr. Bierko, whose stage roles have in­cluded Har­old Hill in the 2000 Broad­way re­vival of “The Mu­sic Man,”was orig­i­nal­ly sched­uled to be­gin per­for­mances in “Ma­tilda” on Sept. 3, but de­layed his start by two weeks to Sept. 17, cit­ing a shoul­der in­jury. He re­placed Bertie Carvel in the role of Miss Trunch­bull, an em­bit­tered head­mistress and for­mer cham­pi­on ham­mer-throw­er; Mr. Carvel orig­i­nated this role in the West End and Broad­way pro­duc­tions of “Ma­tilda,” earn­ing a Oliv­ier Award and a Tony nomi­na­tion.

by Anonymousreply 6510/10/2013

The Craig Beirko article ^ was by

DAVE ITZKOFF NYTimes

by Anonymousreply 6610/10/2013

Craig Bierko out of Matila? I'm returning my tickets!

by Anonymousreply 6710/10/2013

Craig! Meet ya at Gallagher's for drinks and dinner. Say, around 8 PM?

by Anonymousreply 6810/10/2013

R62, you cannot see the point because it is on your head.

KINKY BOOTS is a NEW musical. With original songs.

Mamma Mia is/was a crappy London-import which got a ridiculously great review from Ben Brantley after 9/11 just because it was after 9/11.

There is no comparison.

You did make me recall the awful night I saw Mamma Mia early in previews. The audience was still shell-shocked from the 9/11 attacks. I could still smell the burning fires enroute to the theater. I had not been in such a large crowd since before 9/11 (I skipped the should-have-been cancelled Lincoln Center Betty Buckley concert I had tickets for soon after 9/11.)

The show is awful, and should have gone the way of the truly abysmal THOU SHALT NOT, which first brought us Norbert Leo Butz.

by Anonymousreply 6910/10/2013

Bernadette:

"No one's gonna (sniff) harm ya,

Not (sniffle) while I'm (choke) around....

No one's g-g-g-gonna ha-aaarm (gasp) ya

No (sob) sir, not whi- iiiiiiile I'm around."

by Anonymousreply 7010/10/2013

I wish Bernadette would be more dishy in interviews like Lupone is. Bernadette never has a bad word said about anyone or anything. Patti even admitted to being turned down for bullets over broadway. Wish bernadette would dish if she was turned down for Sweeney. It seems odd that she hasn't played it if she wanted to somewhere since she's played every other Sondheim role in a major production

by Anonymousreply 7110/10/2013

Bernie would also work some crying into "Poor Thing".

by Anonymousreply 7210/10/2013

Bernadette is an artist. She'd FIND places to cry.

As for Bierko, I hear he was flat-out terrible. The takeovers in London have been great, so it's not a matter of Bertie being irreplaceable or anything.

by Anonymousreply 7310/10/2013

Bierko will return when Valisia Lekae goes back into Mowtown and Mya reschedules her dates in Chicago

by Anonymousreply 7410/10/2013

Dot Marie Jones for Trunchbull!

by Anonymousreply 7510/10/2013

Is there already interest in another movie of MATILDA?

by Anonymousreply 7610/10/2013

COMET cant sell 125 tickets a night-so they're going to try to sell 1,000 instead

the producer of that show is a dilettante and a fraud so anything is possible

by Anonymousreply 7710/10/2013

Mamma Mia lasting a year or two on Broadway because the NY critics were nice to it would be understandable, but like it or not, plenty of people love it and it's a global smash.

by Anonymousreply 7810/10/2013

R75. What's the 45th Street gossip on there being a Cinderella for Vicky for flying back to after her MTC faux Checkov gig on 47th Street? And if Cinderella (that's R & H's show) is still running what happens if V. doesn't want to return? All hell breaking loose? Maybe she can do Trunchbull. All sexes auditioned for Bertie's/Craig's replacement.

by Anonymousreply 7910/10/2013

What about the Seattle CABARET. Someone said Kander's lawyers and Tams were looking into it, ie, shutting it down. Can that director really have been so stupid that he didn't get the rights to do his proposed changes before shouting it all over the press?

by Anonymousreply 8010/10/2013

[quote] what happens if V. doesn't want to return?

Becky Luker might stay on? She doesn't seem much in demand these days, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 8110/10/2013

R75 you forgot about Jenna Elfman in Nine.

by Anonymousreply 8210/10/2013

Isnt it about time for another revival of All My Sons or Into the Woods? I mean its been at leat 2 or 3 years? (and of course, every role must be cast with a "star"-because thats how the modern non-producers have trained the audience--that unless there are "stars" , its not worth seeing)

by Anonymousreply 8310/10/2013

and speaking of starts-how did the Roundabout lose their minds and actually cast 4 strong NY stage actors in Dinner with Friends? Were Kaley Cuocco and Eric Stonestreet unavailable?

by Anonymousreply 8410/10/2013

Toni Collette GYPSY!

by Anonymousreply 8510/10/2013

Didn't Leigh Silverman direct Fun House?

by Anonymousreply 8610/10/2013

As great as Toni C is, she can't even have a hit television show, no way she is going to bring butts in a theatre

by Anonymousreply 8710/10/2013

But her shows have been shit, and she wasn't to blame.

by Anonymousreply 8810/10/2013

Steve Kazee to be Lucy Liu's love interest in that Sherlock television show.

by Anonymousreply 8910/10/2013

[quote]Steve Kazee to be Lucy Liu's love interest in that Sherlock television show.

When Bitchy Met Crazy.

by Anonymousreply 9010/10/2013

In order to play Mrs. Lovett Bernadette Peters would have to get rid of her signature hairstyle, ugly herself up, and put on a Cockney accent. In other words, not be Bernadette Peters. What would be the point? You might as well hire Mandy Patinkin.

by Anonymousreply 9110/10/2013

what happened to that bway revival of This Is Our Youth? gone the way of so many shows that announce and then never materialize and are never heard about again?

by Anonymousreply 9210/10/2013

MAMMA MIA opened in UK BEFORE 9/11 and Brantley gave it a rave then. Its success has nothing to do with 9/11. As for RENT, I hated it when I saw it with the original cast. I did not get it at all so I understand the haters. However, O went back to see it several years later, I won the lottery and sat in the front row, and loved it.

by Anonymousreply 9310/11/2013

Norm Lewis was back on "Scandal" tonight.

by Anonymousreply 9410/11/2013

I see Craig Bierko occasionally in Hudson River Park with his dog. He always seems a bit off----distracted? pixilated? stoned? Anyone know him?

by Anonymousreply 9510/11/2013

I bet Bierko doesn't come back.

by Anonymousreply 9610/11/2013

[quote]Steve Kazee to be Lucy Liu's love interest in that Sherlock television show.

Will Sherlock deduce he's gay?

by Anonymousreply 9710/11/2013

[quote]Mamma Mia is/was a crappy London-import which got a ridiculously great review from Ben Brantley after 9/11 just because it was after 9/11.

And? You think one review by The NY Times has or 9/11 kept "Mamma Mia" open for twelve years on Broadway? And as you stated, it was from London where it's still playing, as well as playing all over the world. Then there is the $600 million dollar grossing movie. Like "RENT", ten years on Broadway,then an Off Broadway revival, they play and play because they have found an audience. Do you not get it? People LIKE them, hell, many, many people LOVE them. Your opinion is worthless.

by Anonymousreply 9810/11/2013

r98, then they'd be accused of ripping off "Sherlock."

by Anonymousreply 9910/11/2013

God damn it! r98, this is the "Sherlock" bit they'd be accused of ripping off. Fucking iMac cut and paste!

by Anonymousreply 10010/11/2013

Isn't Bierko a closet case or am I imagining that?

What show wants the O'Neil? Big Fish isn't THAT big of a flop, but to me someone wants that theatre and Riedel is doing their bidding.

by Anonymousreply 10110/11/2013

[quote]And? You think one review by The NY Times has or 9/11 kept "Mamma Mia" open for twelve years on Broadway? And as you stated, it was from London where it's still playing, as well as playing all over the world. Then there is the $600 million dollar grossing movie. Like "RENT", ten years on Broadway,then an Off Broadway revival, they play and play because they have found an audience. Do you not get it? People LIKE them, hell, many, many people LOVE them. Your opinion is worthless.

Let it go, Louise. It's just a fricking [bold]SHOW[/bold].

by Anonymousreply 10210/11/2013

Craig Bierko will be forgotten in 6 weeks, the producers will announce he's not healing well, parting due to mutual agreement....and then they'll cast someone who can actually play the role.

by Anonymousreply 10310/11/2013

[quote]Let it go, Louise. It's just a fricking SHOW.

Exactly Darlin', I'm not the one ten years later that keeps ragging on hugely successful shows like it matters. You got my point and people call you dumb. Good job.

by Anonymousreply 10410/11/2013

[quote]Exactly Darlin', I'm not the one ten years later that keeps ragging on hugely successful shows like it matters.

Trolldar says otherwise, cupcake.

by Anonymousreply 10510/11/2013

"I feel sorry for Sarah Schulman. Larson ripped her off."

I have many favorite parts of that story. I love how she crowed over the fact that she and Don Shewey (I think) were the only two writers who had the temerity to pan RENT when it first hit. She, for the usual reason she often pans things, "inauthenticity". It was many weeks later that a friend of hers pointed out the obvious parallels between her novel People in Trouble and RENT. I mean, Anthony Rapp was on record as saying he remembered Larson walking around with a copy of the novel.

Then Sarah goes to a lawyer who warns her that she should shut up and not be "the girl who sued RENT."

So dumb. But it works out for the best, had she been given a cut (which she deserved), she wouldn't have had another "I was screwed by the system" story to tell for years.

by Anonymousreply 10610/11/2013

OP, we were wondering, do you throw a ball like a girl?

by Anonymousreply 10710/11/2013

Not the OP, but I throw a ball like a girl.

by Anonymousreply 10810/11/2013

RENT was more a cult than a show.

I liked a lot of the tunes, but the book and lyrics were cringeworthy. Clearly, it takes place in 1984, but the program states it takes place in 1996, throwing the whole thing out of whack.

The libretto was awful and the characters were all very unlikeable. The villain, Benny was of course the only guy with a job, and making a working, straight black male the villain just makes sense! I found it maudlin, goofy, and jejeune!

by Anonymousreply 10910/11/2013

"Bobby Steggert was actually really good in that play, which is a piece of reactionary egregiously pro-marriage pandering-to-straight-liberals nonsense."

This is the play that many people are calling "McNally's best play in years." Which is kind of like saying, "I had a very painful migraine last night, but it was still the least painful migraine I've had in years!"

P.S. I don't care what anyone else thinks, OP, I loved the Steggert/McNally joke you came up with. Or maybe it's not a joke ;-)

by Anonymousreply 11010/11/2013

Brantley gives a rare, screaming "Get to Broadway" rave for Honeymoon in Vegas. Looks like we know what's replacing Big Fish.

by Anonymousreply 11110/11/2013

R99 is an idiot. If a show is successful and someone doesn't like if, it does not make that person's opinion worthless. Must everyone agree about everything? What a joke r99 is! As for Mamma Mia, if it got bad reviews, it may have never gotten off the ground and wouldn't have been able to run 12 years. I hated Mamma Mia personally.

by Anonymousreply 11210/11/2013

RENT and KINKY BOOTS are equally offensive in the way they pander to mainstream audiences by aggressively misrepresenting the experience and reality of sub-culture communities.

Okay, musical theater is fantasy: people don't break into song in the middle of a heroin nod, in real life, as far as I know!

Nonetheless: there's something really icky and offensive about turning AIDS into a rock & roll Disney ride; and the appalling sentimentality with which Broadway composers continually market and sell drag queens to middle America - the drag queen who is all love! the drag queen who knows ALL experience because she has lived her life as every gender! the drag queen whose purpose is to bring joy to your hetero world! - just, ugh.

Ugh.

Ugh.

Two dreadful shows that perpetrate and perpetuate stereotypes.

I hate them both.

by Anonymousreply 11310/11/2013

No word on Kander's "The Landing"? It's been in previews for a week.

by Anonymousreply 11410/11/2013

Favorite quote from Riedel's column about Big Fish and Andrew Lippa's lack of melody:

He’s one of these young(ish) composers who are all Sondheim and no tunes. Jason Robert Brown’s another one, though I hear his score to “Honeymoon in Vegas” is surprisingly catchy. Ricky Ian Gordon is one, too. They’re smart, accomplished musicians, but if you put a gun to their heads, they wouldn’t be able to write “Happy Birthday.” Years ago, they all contributed songs to Audra McDonald’s CD “Way Back to Paradise,” about which a legendary Broadway producer said, “If you want to know what’s wrong with the American theater, buy Audra McDonald’s new CD.”

by Anonymousreply 11510/11/2013

[quote] “If you want to know what’s wrong with the American theater, buy Audra McDonald’s new CD.”

The shot that started a war! Gasps from theatre queens everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 11610/11/2013

Not sure if this has been discussed already, but Nick Mayo (ex Lady Esparza) married press daddy and DL topic Michael Hartmann in September. Does anyone have videos of their wedding night?!?

by Anonymousreply 11710/11/2013

Well, that was a comment about the crappy songs, not about Audra's singing. Of course, she's the one who wanted to record those crappy songs.

by Anonymousreply 11810/11/2013

Has anyone heard much about If/Then? The plot description is so vague.

by Anonymousreply 11910/11/2013

LOVES LABOURS LOST!

by Anonymousreply 12010/11/2013

Carrie Fisher has said that one of the characters in her book The Best Awful was based on Bierko. I sort of assume from the book that Bierko has similar neuroses to Fisher (but not as bad.)

by Anonymousreply 12110/11/2013

Heaven preserve us from tone-deaf, tin-eared critics who have zero knowledge, intelligence or taste when it comes to music yet pontificate on the subject like they were Deems Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 12210/11/2013

Well, IF/THEN is directed by the same genius who brought you RENT, Michael Grief, if that tells you anything r120.

by Anonymousreply 12310/12/2013

Judging from Brantley's review of Honeymoon in Vegas, they might as well just give the Tony to Tony Danza now.

by Anonymousreply 12410/12/2013

He's next year's Andrea Martin.

by Anonymousreply 12510/12/2013

[quote]Has anyone heard much about If/Then? The plot description is so vague.

I thought I read that it was a SLIDING DOORS kind of story. Two possible paths for the protagonist depending on what she chooses.

Good cast. But the one song that's out there is pretty generic. And the artwork is embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 12610/12/2013

How ironic for Jason Robert Brown that after all these years he will win a Tony Award and his biggest competition will be Jason Robert Brown.

by Anonymousreply 12710/12/2013

Can Tony Danza sing?

by Anonymousreply 12810/12/2013

I believe Norbertz will get his Buttz back in action pronto if Tony D is his closest competition. Watch for the huffing and puffing to begin again soon.

by Anonymousreply 12910/12/2013

Is Butz fat or just unfit?

by Anonymousreply 13010/12/2013

"Michael Grief."

Always makes me laugh when I see his name misspelled that way. And it ALWAYS is. Tee hee!

by Anonymousreply 13110/12/2013

Saw Gentlemen's Guide in Hartford and unless they fuck up the transfer Jefferson Mays will be hard to beat for Actor in a Musical. It's a very showy "vote for me" type of role in a stylish, clever show- that is if it finds an audience and makes it to Tony time.

Then again, sometimes the voters do prefer a hard worker in a feel good show, so maybe Danza has a chance.

by Anonymousreply 13210/12/2013

I saw Vegas last week R125 and Danza is ok in it, but nothing special. At least his singing is better than the whiny-voiced guy who's in the lead (Rob McClure).

BTW the show is much better than I thought it would be, because judging from the misleading pics on the theater's web site, it looks like it'd be really cheap production, but I was pleasantly surprised.

by Anonymousreply 13310/12/2013

Rob McClure is cute and looks like he'd make a hot little bottom. Can't believe he's straight.

by Anonymousreply 13410/12/2013

HONEYMOON IN VEGAS is taking The Palace.

by Anonymousreply 13510/12/2013

FIT

by Anonymousreply 13610/12/2013

Is Tony Danza gay? bi? he was hot on Taxi. I've heard rumors but....

by Anonymousreply 13710/12/2013

R138. Uncut, you know.

by Anonymousreply 13810/12/2013

Not to encourage all the premature Tony talk, but Danza would be featured, not lead.

by Anonymousreply 13910/12/2013

Danza was a hustler at a bar called Cowboys & Cowgirls on Second Avenue in the early-mid 70s.

by Anonymousreply 14010/12/2013

[quote]HONEYMOON IN VEGAS is taking The Palace.

I remember how thrilled I was the first time I ever went to the Palace. Back when I was a kid, it seemed like the most Broadway of all Broadway theatres. Now, I get a headache when I think about going there. The sightlines are terrible, the street noise is obnoxious.

Just out of curiosity, what was the last real hit the Palace had? The original LA CAGE?

by Anonymousreply 14110/12/2013

Friend and I were trapped in the front row of Audra's concert at Rose Hall a few years ago when she was showcasing "Way Back to Paradise." Awful music and gushing queens with face stubble all around us having multiple orgasms. Audra had an intestinal virus she caught from her daughter and made a stagehand, as I recall, come out to open her bottle of Gatorade. She did one standard and the rest was dreck.

by Anonymousreply 14210/12/2013

Naturally the most exciting thing coming up in the next two months is Miss Patti making a triumphant return to Carnegie Hall. Is it a brand new show, or will she be doing LADY WITH A TORCH?

by Anonymousreply 14310/12/2013

Why did PIPPIN change production stage managers so quickly?

Was the original fired or quit?

Anybody got the scoop?

by Anonymousreply 14410/12/2013

How can Bernadette Peters get away the same stage patter for a decade?

by Anonymousreply 14510/12/2013

Isn't Tony Danza dating Liza?

What an adorbs couple! I'd love to hang with them for an evening of show tunes around the piano.

Too bad they're a bit too old for kids--they could make beautiful Italian babies together!

SQUEE.

by Anonymousreply 14610/12/2013

Who has the real gossip about why Stephanie Pope left Pippin? It can't possibly be because she wasn't a good fit for the part....she worked Fosse often and is a wicked singer actor and dancer..

by Anonymousreply 14710/12/2013

OP, I've also heard folks address her as "Chita-Pita" and "Cheety" in addition to the ones you list. I cant imagine addressing one of the grand dames of the american musical theatre as "Cheets". Is she really so jocular in her daily life?

by Anonymousreply 14810/12/2013

Would Adam Guettel fit into the description given in R116, who has a quote about composers who are "all Sondhiem and no tunes"?

by Anonymousreply 14910/12/2013

[quote]Who has the real gossip about why Stephanie Pope left Pippin? It can't possibly be because she wasn't a good fit for the part....she worked Fosse often and is a wicked singer actor and dancer..

It's quite possible they wanted a better u/s for Patina. I saw Pope and she was pretty bad in the role. If they took u/s away from her, that meant a downgrade in pay. CHICAGO might just pay better.

by Anonymousreply 15010/12/2013

What was bad about her portrayal?

by Anonymousreply 15110/12/2013

The keys didn't fit her voice.

by Anonymousreply 15210/12/2013

[quote]Friend and I were trapped in the front row of Audra's concert at Rose Hall a few years ago when she was showcasing "Way Back to Paradise."

If you have such contempt, why the hell were you there, in the front row no less?

[quote]Isn't Tony Danza dating Liza?

No, they have been friends for years, real friends, not show biz ones. When he had his talk show, he and Liza lived in the same building and she would come down to his place in her PJ's on Monday nights and watch "24". Tuesday morning he'd do a recap.

by Anonymousreply 15310/12/2013

[quote]What was bad about her portrayal?

What R154 said. The keys were bad; painfully so at times. She also has zero comic timing. She was leaden.

Not her fault. The role was just not a good fit.

by Anonymousreply 15410/12/2013

Last hit at Palace: Beauty & The Beast. Aida had a decent run there too.

by Anonymousreply 15510/12/2013

Pix out of Jeremy Jordan's Skivvies appearance last night. As predicted, he sings his song in fedora and trench coat, and then takes them both off, revealing baggy print boxers. Sorta cute, but not at all revealing and therefore not very sexy. Very Jeremy.

by Anonymousreply 15710/12/2013

What happened to MURDER BALLAD? I kept passing the marquee near Union Square... and then one day it was gone. Was the transfer unsuccessful?

by Anonymousreply 15810/12/2013

What do you think, r151 and r160?

by Anonymousreply 16010/12/2013

R98 has Steve come out or are you just hopeful?

by Anonymousreply 16110/12/2013

Sting's wife, Trudie Styler, acting in The Seagull at Culture Project. How is she? Anybody seen it?

by Anonymousreply 16210/12/2013

"Just out of curiosity, what was the last real hit the Palace had? The original LA CAGE?"

Do I really have to tell you?

by Anonymousreply 16310/12/2013

Liza at the Palace!

by Anonymousreply 16410/12/2013

"Aida" played 1882 performances at the Palace Theater (3/23/2000 - 9/05/2004)

by Anonymousreply 16510/12/2013

r159, when referencing pictures, it's helpful if you link to them.

by Anonymousreply 16610/12/2013

Oh the Palace! I love the Palace! Mama and I both played there!!! Kay Thompson!!!!

by Anonymousreply 16710/12/2013

r158

Here's VIDEO

by Anonymousreply 16810/12/2013

Who's this Harttramp?

by Anonymousreply 16910/12/2013

That video is a wasted opportunity

by Anonymousreply 17010/12/2013

Saw MARIE ANTOINETTE at Soho Rep. I was extremely underwhelmed. It felt like a (much lesser) retread of Sofia Coppola's film, but without the gorgeous shots of Versailles. I couldn't believe it was only 90 minutes, as it felt so much longer. All in all, very shallow. Too bad, as I loved 3C.

That said, the actors were superb.

by Anonymousreply 17110/12/2013

Lauren Molina (skivvies girl) is butt ugly

by Anonymousreply 17210/12/2013

[quote]Too bad, as I loved 3C.

[bold]WWWWWWHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYY!?!?!?!?!?![/bold]

by Anonymousreply 17310/13/2013

I've heard folks address her as "Chits-n-giggles"

by Anonymousreply 17410/13/2013

I used to call her "Cheater Rivera."

by Anonymousreply 17510/13/2013

I just call her "Rita"

by Anonymousreply 17610/13/2013

Could have just listened to 'Tennis Court' by Lorde.

by Anonymousreply 17710/13/2013

Jeremy Jordan is fug. He should keep his clothes on since he doesn't appear to work out at all.

by Anonymousreply 17810/13/2013

Will Swenson also performed, in denim shorts - not even "daisy dukes".

by Anonymousreply 17910/13/2013

What's the deal with that Roe Hartrampf? Straight? His "Magic Mike" wasn't that sexy. I think the standard wimpy Broadway tenor didn't help.

by Anonymousreply 18010/13/2013

Until DL, I never heard anyone complain about the sight lines or the "street noise" at the Palace.

"What's the deal with that Roe Hartrampf? Straight? His Magic Mike wasn't that sexy."

Whatever you say, R182. Anyone care to offer another opinion?

by Anonymousreply 18110/13/2013

So Jeremy Jordan doesn't have a great body, he's talented.

by Anonymousreply 18210/13/2013

Actually, Jeremy looks like he has been working out recently.

by Anonymousreply 18310/13/2013

Not to desex this, but has anyone seen Faith Prince in Annie? I am a big, big fan, but I'd rather not see this production again unless she's made it a bit better.

by Anonymousreply 18410/13/2013

I'm not sure "talented" and "Jeremy Jordan" belong in the same sentence, but the jury may still be out. In Newsies he could sing, but not dance, and Smash was just one of those aberrations. Movies? That forgettable debut hardly exhibited any charisma, and we'll see about the upcoming Last Five Years.

by Anonymousreply 18510/13/2013

R186. Guess you don't read DL much. Faith has made zero impact in Annie, primarily because nobody can bring themselves to see this reviled revival. Also, because she took on the role with a shitload of pre-existing commitments, she's been out a lot. All in all, not exactly a triumph.

by Anonymousreply 18610/13/2013

"Until DL, I never heard anyone complain about the sight lines or the "street noise" at the Palace."

Oh R183, do you even think R142 knows what he is talking about?

The Palace interior was landmarked years ago; the sight lines are the same as they were when Judy appeared.

However, since I am unfamiliar with the cheap seats in the upper theater, maybe that is what R142 is talking about. But while the lovely lobby and vintage marquee are gone, the interior is unchanged.

by Anonymousreply 18710/13/2013

R183 here. I sat in the balcony at the Palace once, years ago (for LA CAGE), and the view of the stage from there is in fact very steep, but I think that's common to most balconies in Broadway theaters. The Palace is definitely much better than the Belasco, where the view from the Balcony is mostly of the tops of the actors' heads.

P.S. I know the balcony of the Palace is open for ANNIE, but isn't it true that it's closed for some of the shows that have played there in recent years? I've never sat in the mezzanine, but I can't imagine the view of the stage is bad from there.

by Anonymousreply 18810/13/2013

[quote]However, since I am unfamiliar with the cheap seats in the upper theater, maybe that is what R142 is talking about. But while the lovely lobby and vintage marquee are gone, the interior is unchanged

The cheap seats aren't great, but as R190 says, that's pretty typical. You feel like you're in another building, but I don't suppose it's any worse than, say, the Shubert.

What is worse are those rather strange side seats in the orchestra. Depending on the set design for the show, they're practically all unsellable. (Extreme sides in most theaters can be a little dicey, but not like this.) I can't think of another Broadway theatre that has that configuration.

Center orchestra is okay.

by Anonymousreply 18910/13/2013

R188- you still didn't answer the question: is Faith any good? No one at DL had gone to see her and reported back,

by Anonymousreply 19010/13/2013

Faith is giving it the old college try. She's a pro and finds more laughs that the previous Hannigans. The set and blocking etc etc etc in this production are a hard obstacle to overcome, but she is fun and sings well.

I know someone in the show who says Lapine comes in every few weeks and takes out any laughs the actors find once he's gone. I believe it.

by Anonymousreply 19110/13/2013

"I know someone in the show who says Lapine comes in every few weeks and takes out any laughs the actors find once he's gone. I believe it."

If this story were about any other director, I would say it had to be a joke. But like you, R193, I believe it about Lapine. What a fraud he is.

by Anonymousreply 19210/13/2013

Martin Charnin is a horrible person, but at least he lets his comic actors go for the laughs with gusto.

by Anonymousreply 19310/13/2013

Query about two of DL's most discussed (and tiresome) commodities. Did Dorothy Loudon ever get her overacting ass in a Follies production? (I may live to regret this...but it's probably good for a dozen posts!)

by Anonymousreply 19410/13/2013

I've lived here for almost 14 years and have seen a shitload of Broadway shows (with enough Playbills to fill up four of those official binders) but strangely enough I've yet to set foot in the Palace.

Of course this post means nothing. I just wanted to share.

by Anonymousreply 19510/13/2013

Loudon never did Follies. She did record an underwhelming "I'm Still Here".

by Anonymousreply 19610/13/2013

I'm guessing this Roe Hardtramp is a chorus boy, since no one here seems to know of, or haven an opinion on, him?

by Anonymousreply 19710/13/2013

Loudon's Losing My Mind/You Could Drive a Person Crazy mash-up is fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 19810/13/2013

Acclaimed award winning choreographer/ director Jerry Mitchell's current fuck toy is chorus boy Ricky Schroeder.

by Anonymousreply 19910/13/2013

Ricky's been reduced to the chorus?

by Anonymousreply 20010/13/2013

Jessie Mueller's Carole King musical is getting rave reviews in SF. Will she win Best Actress over Kelli O'Hara and Krista Rodriguez?

by Anonymousreply 20110/13/2013

Will Krista even be nominated?

by Anonymousreply 20210/13/2013

A nomination for Krysta seems to come out of left field. Zach, perhaps, depending on the competition, but the show will be long gone by then.

by Anonymousreply 20310/13/2013

I would think Michelle Williams would be more of a serious contender than Krysta. Serious actress, meaty role.

I wonder if Helen Sinclair in BULLETS will be lead or supporting.

by Anonymousreply 20410/13/2013

Marin's really more of a supporting actress.

by Anonymousreply 20510/13/2013

[quote]I would think Michelle Williams would be more of a serious contender than Krysta. Serious actress, meaty role.

What are the chances Alan Cumming will win again for the Emcee? Wouldn't he be only the second in history to do that (after Stephen Spinella)?

by Anonymousreply 20610/13/2013

You're not allowed to be nominated a second time for playing the same role in the same show you've previously been nominated for, r208. That's why Lonette McKee couldn't be nominated for Hal Prince's SHOW BOAT despite there being only two other eligible nominees (Glenn Close and Rebecca Luker) available to fill the category - because she had previously been nominated for playing Julie in the Houston Grand Opera production.

Spinella and the other ANGELS actors were eligible because they were playing the same characters in a different play.

by Anonymousreply 20710/13/2013

Good information. Thanks, R209.

by Anonymousreply 20810/13/2013

Well, Elaine Stritch, based on billing alone, was eligible for a Best Actress nod for Show Boat, but while John McMartin and Mark Jacoby both got in the Best Actor category for Cap'n Andy and Ravenal, respectively, Stritch was sidelined. Not that I blame them, based on the unfortunate recording of her "Why Do I Love You?" but she did get in an amusing dig about it when she was asked to present with fellow non-nominee Gloria Foster (of Having Our Say).

by Anonymousreply 20910/13/2013

r209 Well they dont care about the Houston Grand Opera ...they care that it moved to Broadway with Donald O'Connor. It was a great production.

by Anonymousreply 21010/13/2013

r212, I thought it was obvious that I was talking about the Broadway transfer of the Houston Grand Opera's production; sorry if that was unclear and you thought I thought McKee was nominated for a performance she gave in Houston.

by Anonymousreply 21110/13/2013

Sir Ian McKellen on Andy Cohen just now. Playing MARRY SHAG KILL:

Marry Judi Dench. Shag Maggie Smith. Kill Helen Mirren.

by Anonymousreply 21210/13/2013

You think David Leveux's production of "Romeo And Juliet" got slaughtered by the press? Wait until they bludgeon the shit out of the horrific production at CSC. Has this Serbian director ever read the play? Or any Shakespeare at all? It's vomit-inducing. What the fuck was Brian Kulick thinking?

by Anonymousreply 21310/14/2013

Stritch and her producers tried to manipulate the nominations and petitioned to have her moved to featured status while her c0-stars were all left in lead. (they didn't think she could win against Close.)

This was the same year Nathan Lane did the reverse and was pushed for lead while everyone else in Love! vALOUR ETC was pushed for featured.

For some reason the nominating committee got mad at all the category manipulation and punished Lane and Strich with no nominations despite the fact that they were two of the most talked about performances of the year.

Also explains why Stritch didn't petition down to featured the following year for Delicate Balance. She'd have probably won but I guess she feared another backlash.

by Anonymousreply 21410/14/2013

1) Heather Headley will fly in and steal the Tony from Kelli, Michelle, Brynn, and Fantasia.

2) Liza has played the Palace twice in the last 14 years! How have you not been to the Palace??

3) Nathan Lane should've won for LVC. One of his best performances ever.

by Anonymousreply 21510/14/2013

[quote]Liza has played the Palace twice in the last 14 years! How have you not been to the Palace??

Because she sang.

by Anonymousreply 21610/14/2013

"I've played the State, The Capitol, But people said "Don't stop. Until you've played the Palace, You haven't played the top." For years I had it preached to me And drummed into my head: "Unless you've played the Palace, You might as well be dead." A team of hoofers was the headline At the Majestic down in Dallas, But they canceled the day Their agent called to say, "You can open the bill at the Palace." So it became the Hall of Fame, The Mecca of the trade; When you had played the Palace, You knew that you were made. So I hope you'll understand my wondrous thrill, "Cause vaudeville's back at the Palace, And I'm on the bill!"

by Anonymousreply 21710/14/2013

r214, that is hilarious.

Wasn't there a detailed account of Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren hating each other when they did a play on Broadway together some years back?

I think Helen thought Ian's understudy was better than him or some thing.

Anyway.. Funny he said "kill" about Helen Mirren.

by Anonymousreply 21810/14/2013

No, Ian thought David Straithairn's (sp?) understudy was better than Strai..

by Anonymousreply 21910/14/2013

I can remember as a wee teen, going to see Gwen Verdon in Sweet Charity in what I believe was the Palace's first show after its renovation (c.1967), and there were wonderful old oil portraits on the rear orchestra wall of all the big vaudeville stars who had played there (Judy, et. al.), including a new one of Gwen herself.

But they're gone now, aren't they? Where are those portraits?

Has Tyler Maynard ever played the Palace?

by Anonymousreply 22010/14/2013

Jerry Mitchell with Ricky Schroder, who will star in Jerry's forthcoming production based on the life of Bonnie Franklin.

by Anonymousreply 22110/14/2013

R222. Tyler Maynard probably took all those famous paintings from the Palace. You know how he is!

by Anonymousreply 22210/14/2013

How old is that kid? 14? Does Jerry's probation officer know he's dating underage children?

by Anonymousreply 22310/14/2013

R223's pic is disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 22410/14/2013

yes r221, that was the story from the most hated people on Broadway thread or whatever it was called.

It was David Stratnairn's understudy that Ian thought was better or whatever.

The hatred between McKellen and Mirren was a completely separate thing. He was bossing her around or something. David Strathairn hated Ian McKellen for his own reasons.

by Anonymousreply 22510/14/2013

[quote][R223]'s pic is disturbing.

Jerry likes to whisper "Ten points for Gryffindor, Mr. Weasley" in his ear during sex.

by Anonymousreply 22610/14/2013

was David Strathairn's understudy by any chance a 23 year old twink?

That would make sense.

by Anonymousreply 22710/14/2013

r229, not a twink by far but not bad...but far too old for Sirina, whose taste ranges to the 20something

by Anonymousreply 22810/14/2013

Wait, is there really a Bonnie Franklin musical or was that a joke?

by Anonymousreply 22910/14/2013

woo hoo'

by Anonymousreply 23010/14/2013

So when is Honeymoon in Vegas moving to B'way, after that big Brantley bj. Will we have to Jason Robert Brown musicals in one season, or will they wait until the Fall?

by Anonymousreply 23110/14/2013

[quote] Will we have to Jason Robert Brown musicals in one season

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 23210/14/2013

New Off Broadway Venues Planned for Midtown West:

by Anonymousreply 23310/14/2013

r221, this is discussed in the nastiest person on broadway thread you can google it.

by Anonymousreply 23410/14/2013

Yes there is a Bonnie Franklin musical in the works.

by Anonymousreply 23510/14/2013

Anyone know if there are plans to bring Sons of the Prophet to Broadway? Also heard Stephen Karam might be working on a sequel. Rep, anyone? Santino is due for a Tony.

by Anonymousreply 23610/14/2013

Anne Hathaway would make a great Bonnie Franklin.

by Anonymousreply 23710/14/2013

r225

Are you implying that I'm mistaken?

What I've heard is that McKellan likes to direct his fellow actors. It didn't go down well with Mirren, but he never compared her unfavourably to her understudy. The story goes that he did suggest that Straithairn copy what his own understudy did.

by Anonymousreply 23810/14/2013

[quote]I can remember as a wee teen, going to see Gwen Verdon in Sweet Charity in what I believe was the Palace's first show after its renovation (c.1967), and there were wonderful old oil portraits on the rear orchestra wall of all the big vaudeville stars who had played there (Judy, et. al.), including a new one of Gwen herself.

But they're gone now, aren't they? Where are those portraits?

Yes, Verdon's Charity was the first show to reopen the Palace. I saw it when I was in high school. I remember that portrait of Judy. It was there when I saw Applause, Woman of the Year and Will Rogers Follies. The Judy protrait was gone when I saw Aida. I asked an usher about that and she said that Disney demanded that the portrait, as well as the other Palace mementos, be removed. She said that they were locked in a utility closet. Not sure if she was just saying that or if that was indeed the case but yes, the Palace items were not on display.

by Anonymousreply 23910/14/2013

kcguy, you and I really did lead parallel lives.

I'm that other poster who saw Illya, Darling in high school and realized not all Broadway musicals are good.

by Anonymousreply 24010/14/2013

James Riordan belongs to the same club that Tyler Maynard, Roger Bart, Norm Lewis et al belong to.

by Anonymousreply 24110/14/2013

I've never heard Illya, Darling. Was Melina Mercouri's singing voice non-existent?

by Anonymousreply 24210/14/2013

Well, yes, her singing voice was non-existent, but then again, she was non-singing a non-existent score.

by Anonymousreply 24310/14/2013

R222 I always enjoy seeing your posts.

by Anonymousreply 24410/14/2013

R244- There is a clip from Ed Sullivan show on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 24510/14/2013

R244 here ya go.

by Anonymousreply 24610/14/2013

And Vivien at R244, here you are.

Tovarich clip

by Anonymousreply 24710/14/2013

Eeek! Guess I understand now why Encores hasn't revived Tovarich!

by Anonymousreply 24810/14/2013

Awful song, but that boy can dance.

by Anonymousreply 24910/14/2013

r243, are you talking about the big cock club?

by Anonymousreply 25010/14/2013

R252 Membership has its privileges!

by Anonymousreply 25110/14/2013

I'm reading a book right now on how to write plays that says getting your play produced is much easier than getting a movie made out of your screenplay. (I'm sure all the unproduced playwrights out there would strongly disagree.)

Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 25210/14/2013

Brevity r254. (supposedly it is easy to get short plays produced in festivals etc.) That is the what the playwrighting teacher at college said. (BTW I was only in the class one day then switched my schedule so what do I know)

by Anonymousreply 25310/14/2013

R255, that sounds like good advice.

by Anonymousreply 25410/14/2013

Roe Hartrampf deserves all of our praise for his true dedication to historical accuracy, as seen when he showed off his good-sized cock in a post-shower scene in period piece UNNATURAL ACTS at Classic Stage and did not shave his balls, thus allowing the audience to stay immersed in the period as they gazed at the historically accurate sight of the lights gleaming on his wet testicle hairs.

For this I say, BRAVO!

by Anonymousreply 25510/15/2013

FOLLIES!

by Anonymousreply 25610/15/2013

Viv Leigh is pretty light on her feet herself, especially for a non-dancer.

Byron whatever, who's dancing with her, has a hot ass.

Love the way Ed Sullivan keeps goofing - mispronouncing the name of the show, the name of the song (and the city), mispronouncing "emigres" and then correcting himself, saying "dance crave" and then correcting to "craze." Was he always like that?

by Anonymousreply 25710/15/2013

Yep, R259. Ed was always one of the clumsiest, even stupidest, humans in front of a teleprompter. Each Sunday it seemed like it was his first time appearing in public! Awkward as he was, his show did present some really wonderful stuff, accompanied by his choice malapropisms. And we loved it!

by Anonymousreply 25810/15/2013

The night Rosemary Harris put Lauren Bacall in her place. Details please.

Anyone remember the remarks Ms. Harris said in regards to Betty's constant bragging? It was very funny. Happened during their run in WAITING IN THE WINGS.

Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 25910/15/2013

Passing by the stage door of the Colonial Theatre in Boston after a matinee of Waiting in the Wings, I was amused to see a large waiting van to transport the all female cast and one waiting limousine for Miss Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 26010/15/2013

Did Ed Sullivan's incompetence and awkwardness endear him to the audience or something?

by Anonymousreply 26110/15/2013

It was very gutsy of Vivien Leigh to try her hand at a musical in 1963. She couldn't sing, didn't do much dancing, and she was never very emotionally sound in that period. In fact, she died only 4 years later. But she was a trouper, and managed to get through it all.

by Anonymousreply 26210/15/2013

I can see the appeal. Classic musical comedy isn't taxing on the emotions.

by Anonymousreply 26310/15/2013

She didn't make it through the entire run though. Leigh collapsed, I believe during a performance. She flew to London to recover from "exhaustion" and the show resumed first with Joan Copeland and then Eva Gabor, but closed soon thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 26410/15/2013

And despite all, Leigh won a Tony for "Tovarich."

by Anonymousreply 26510/15/2013

r261, I have heard the story, but not here, that Bacall was driving everyone in the production absolutely crazy in a variety of ways. She refused to wear period costumes and resisted any period detail to her hair. She bragged endlessly about her relationship with Noel Coward constantly saying "Noel this and Noel always said"

From what I understand at a certain point the other ladies had reached the limit with Bacall and Harris said to her [ in front of the company]

"Oh for Chrissake Betty, you aren't the only one of us who knew Noel. I was married at Noel's home in Jamaica and he invited only his closest friends and you weren't among them"

Story goes Bacall was so angry she didn't speak to Harris for the rest of the run. Literally not one word offstage. She barely talked to the rest of the cast either.

r243, I believe that David Cromer is rumored to belong to that same club as well. I don't know if those stories about McKellen and David Strathairn are true or not, I suspect they are blown way out of proportion but I will say James Riordan was pretty fantastic in an obscure Brian Friel play I saw last year.

R254, I don't know about producing screenplays but I do know about producing plays and I can tell you getting a play produced when you are unknown and untested as a playwright is very, very difficult. I am talking a prestige production at a major regional or in NYC, but the best advice for plays [not musicals] is small cast with minimal design and a part that will appeal to a marquee name.

btw, is that Cheyenne Jackson JO video real?? does anyone know? Looks real but...

by Anonymousreply 26610/15/2013

Jerry Mitchell's boy toy speaks . . .

by Anonymousreply 26710/15/2013

Why can I not keep a thread on my thread watcher? Clicking on the star only lasts as long as I keep the window open--if I close it, this thread disappears for me.

by Anonymousreply 26810/15/2013

"I don't know about producing screenplays but I do know about producing plays and I can tell you getting a play produced when you are unknown and untested as a playwright is very, very difficult. I am talking a prestige production at a major regional or in NYC, but the best advice for plays [not musicals] is small cast with minimal design and a part that will appeal to a marquee name."

It remains difficult even after having been produced in major regionals. And smaller is always better, even with musicals. A cast of 14 is hardly outrageous for a tuner but if it's a choice between that and, say, THE LAST FIVE YEARS, guess which show will be produced? But some themes require large canvases and one does what one must.

by Anonymousreply 26910/15/2013

Damn, r230, on his IMDB page, that look on his face shouts

"I throw a mean fuck"

by Anonymousreply 27010/15/2013

Thanks R268

by Anonymousreply 27110/15/2013

yes, r230 and r272, he has that kind of mean Irish look that can be....interesting.

by Anonymousreply 27210/15/2013

What is this shit with Roundabout doing gender reversals in Company? What exactly will this prove? Why not just have a new work created that does include gay couples and references the present day rather than fucking around with this?

I hope Joanne isn't being turned into a man. Ladies Who Lunch wouldn't really have the same edge to it.

by Anonymousreply 27310/15/2013

The charlatan who directed FESTEN on Broadway has been named the new head of London's National Theatre. Rufus Norris couldn't direct traffic in Maine.

There goes the neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 27410/15/2013

r275 what's the info on this?

by Anonymousreply 27510/15/2013

FESTEN in the West End was incredible. It was awful on Broadway. All that proves is that Norris either doesn't know how to cast American actors (a charge you could also level against Nunn and many others) or some shows should just never be attempted in the US. Doesn't mean Norris won't do a perfectly credible job of running the National Theatre of Great Britain.

by Anonymousreply 27610/15/2013

A Broadway failure doesn't mean he can't run the National. The National is an entirely different entity from Broadway. I wish him well as I would like to see the National get back some of its early adventurous spirit.

by Anonymousreply 27710/15/2013

Fellas, I wanted to make sure you all saw this.

JEREMY JORDAN KRYSTA RODRIGUEZ ANDY MIENTUS AND MORE TO STAR IN LIVE PREMIERE OF

HIT LIST

THE ORIGINAL MUSICAL FEATURED IN SEASON TWO OF NBC'S "SMASH"

FEATURING A SCORE BY DREW GASPARINI JOE ICONIS ANDREW MCMAHON BENJ PASEK & JUSTIN PAUL MARC SHAIMAN & SCOTT WITTMAN LUCIE SILVAS

MONDAY, DECEMBER 9 AT 9:30PM AND 11:30PM

Jeremy Jordan (Newsies, The Last 5 Years), Krysta Rodriguez (First Date, The Addams Family), Andy Mientus (Carrie, Spring Awakening), and more will star in HIT LIST at 54 Below on Monday, December 9 for two performances only at 9:30PM and 11:30PM.

The second season of NBC's "Smash" featured a fictional new Broadway musical called HIT LIST, written by characters played by Jordan and Mientus, and starring Rodriguez. In the TV series, the fictional musical opened at Manhattan Theatre Workshop and then transferred to Broadway, opening at the Barrymore Theatre and winning seven Tony Awards. HIT LIST will receive its actual world premiere concert performance at 54 Below.

HIT LIST, a modern fable about identity and the price of fame, tells the tragic love story of a wannabe pop singer who transforms herself to become a star and the hidden songwriter she uses to get there - but at what cost? HIT LIST will be presented by Julia Brownell, Joshua Safran and Jennifer Ashley Tepper. Benjamin Rauhala is musical director. The concerts will feature a full band.

The score of HIT LIST was written by Drew Gasparini, Joe Iconis, Andrew McMahon, Benj Pasek & Justin Paul, Marc Shaiman & Scott Wittman, and Lucie Silvas. The shows will include some additional songs from these composers that were intended for HIT LIST but never made it to air, and also special appearances by several of HIT LIST's composers and additional performers to be announced at a later date.

For the 9:30PM performance, doors open at 8:45PM For the 11:30PM performance, doors open at 11PM. Tickets are $55 plus a $25 food and beverage minimum. To purchase tickets or for more information, visit www.54Below.com or call (866) 468-7619.

by Anonymousreply 27810/15/2013

SO when is Big Fish posting notice?

by Anonymousreply 27910/15/2013

no, 240 wasn't trying to correct you just pointing out where the story and the details were discussed.

by Anonymousreply 28010/15/2013

[quote]SO when is Big Fish posting notice?

When it starts losing money. For the moment, it's doing okay.

by Anonymousreply 28110/15/2013

R278, was Festin in the West End performed on a proscenium stage? Somehow the staging of the Broadway production didn't work on a proscenium stage. I do remember thinking that the American actors really did not get this material. (Same with Coram Boy)

by Anonymousreply 28210/15/2013

Ali McGraw was pure theatrical Viagra in FESTIN!

by Anonymousreply 28310/15/2013

Those songs from Hit List were shit. I can't imagine having to hear them all min one sitting , even with the prospect if seeing cut Andy Mientus.

by Anonymousreply 28410/15/2013

How can they possibly do "Hit List" without ME?

by Anonymousreply 28510/15/2013

Mildred Fierce got a surprisingly good review, especially the drag queen star.

by Anonymousreply 28610/15/2013

If Season 2 of SMASH had been Season 1 of SMASH There'd still be SMASH.

by Anonymousreply 28710/15/2013

Ur, no. Smash sucked.

by Anonymousreply 28810/15/2013

Season 2 was awful, and Hit List was one of the reasons why.

by Anonymousreply 28910/15/2013

Kat McPhee is busy being a doorknob, per the NY Times (paper of record).

by Anonymousreply 29010/15/2013

r286 how do you know Andy is cut?

You meant 'cute' didn't you?

by Anonymousreply 29110/15/2013

Cast at BIG FISH asked to come in 30 minutes before 30 minute call.... tonight. Are they being told notice is going up??

by Anonymousreply 29210/15/2013

Big Fish is not posting anytime soon miss bitch at R281 but thanks for asking.

I love your post r268 and that is the story I heard from someone who worked on the show. He told me he actually felt sorry for Bacall because she made herself into a outcast on that show and had to revert to being nice to her dresser for company. I also thought James Riordan was wonderful in Lovers last year. He should have a much bigger career. And now that we know he is a member of the big member club per r243 I am really rooting for him

festen on Broadway was sunk by the casting. it was bad producing and Rufushad his hand tied. Ali McGraw? please. No stage director ecer said "get me Ali McGraw"

by Anonymousreply 29310/15/2013

LITTLE MISS SUNSHIME starts tonight!

My sense is it will be a surprise smash!!

by Anonymousreply 29410/15/2013

296, what role is Taytay playing?

by Anonymousreply 29510/15/2013

Big Fish did $850,000 last week. They can't make money on that, but they can survive, so they should be good until January, or until the Nederlanders give the theatre for a limited engagement of Flashdance.

by Anonymousreply 29610/15/2013

[quote]Those songs from Hit List were shit. I can't imagine having to hear them all min one sitting , even with the prospect if seeing cut Andy Mientus.

Horseshit, Emmy nominated "I Heard Your Voice In A Dream" & "Broadway Here I Come" are the best songs from "SMASH". Emmy nominated "Hang The Moon" was lovely, but Bernadette Peters probably had a lot to do with it. Regardless, both songs lost the Emmy to a silly Tony Award intro song.

by Anonymousreply 29710/15/2013

Alison Pill IS Suzy Hendrix in WAIT UNTIL DARK, the classic thriller now playing at the Geffen Playhouse.

The play has been reworked and is now set in the 40's. Anyone know why?

by Anonymousreply 29810/15/2013

That's why the show is fondly known as Shit List, not Hit List! My ears! And it's sold out already according to Dame Ann Miner.

by Anonymousreply 29910/15/2013

So And Mientus is circumcised?

by Anonymousreply 30010/15/2013

And Mientus has Michael Arden's nude pix.

by Anonymousreply 30110/15/2013

[quote]was Festin in the West End performed on a proscenium stage?

Yes. Although it was a very small theatre. I forget which. The Apollo, maybe? The Lyric? One of those Shaftsbury Ave. joints.

by Anonymousreply 30210/15/2013

Was Festen not at the Almeida?

by Anonymousreply 30310/15/2013

R302 Well, his first name was circumcised in your post.

by Anonymousreply 30410/15/2013

[quote]Was Festen not at the Almeida?

I think it started there, but it transferred into the West End shortly after that. That's where I saw it, anyway. I would have loved to have seen it at the Almeida.

by Anonymousreply 30510/15/2013

the venue seats 144 people... so I wouldn't oversell the 'sold-out' thing (and most of those must be "hit list" composers, anyway).

by Anonymousreply 30610/15/2013

Chita Cheet Cheets Cheety Chita-pita Chi ......and to think her real name is Delores.

by Anonymousreply 30710/15/2013

It's DOlores!

by Anonymousreply 30810/15/2013

I love a lot of the composers but I hated all the Hit List songs. They were awful. I wouldn't go to the concert if it was free.

by Anonymousreply 30910/15/2013

That first song we heard on the show that JJ sings at the piano is the only good song from Hit List.

by Anonymousreply 31010/15/2013

Good God! That ludicrous, god-awful clip of Vivien Leigh "singing" in TOVARICH made Lucille Ball's MAME look like a musical-comedy triumph!

by Anonymousreply 31110/15/2013

[quote]I hope Joanne isn't being turned into a man. Ladies Who Lunch wouldn't really have the same edge to it.

Well, according to The Times, "the character of Joanne, who sings “The Ladies Who Lunch” and was originally played by Elaine Stritch on Broadway, is being played by the Tony winner Alan Cumming (“Cabaret”) in Mr. Tiffany’s reading of the work at Roundabout this week."

Oh. Dear. God.

by Anonymousreply 31210/15/2013

ENUF with Alan Cumming!!! isn't his visa up yet? send him back to Scotland!!

by Anonymousreply 31310/15/2013

[quote]Good God! That ludicrous, god-awful clip of Vivien Leigh "singing" in TOVARICH made Lucille Ball's MAME look like a musical-comedy triumph!

Good God, what are you yammering about? Vivien is adorable and charming in that clip, and executes her choreography deftly. She was by all accounts delightful in the role.

by Anonymousreply 31410/16/2013

Agree that Leigh is charming in the clip. She's not trying to sing - she only has to shout out "Wilkes-Barre PA" a few times.

She does sing elsewhere in the show - it's not a pretty voice, but it's better than Lucy's.

by Anonymousreply 31510/16/2013

Andy Mientus is cute AND cut! I wonder if he enjoys playing in yellow rivers like his bf does?

by Anonymousreply 31610/16/2013

Bobby Steggert and Michael Urie was also part of the Gay Company, Not sure who Bobby played, but Urie was most likely Amy who's Not Getting Married Today.

"Today is for Jamie, Jamie I give you the rest of my life..."

by Anonymousreply 31710/16/2013

What a fucking stupid idea - a Gay COMPANY

Sondheim is a fucking whore

Broadway has officially become a gay ghetto

and The Roundabout ? Befittingly meaningless

by Anonymousreply 31810/16/2013

Alan Cumming as Joanne sounds dreadful. Clearly Sondheim must be ok with it, or is happy to be paid.

I wonder if they're making many changes to the book or if they're just setting it now yet ignoring how 70's so much of the show is.

by Anonymousreply 31910/16/2013

Must Bobby Steggert be in everything?

Come back to Broadway, Jonathan Groff!

by Anonymousreply 32010/16/2013

I thought Nathan Lane was playing Joanne, which would be a better fit than Cumming.

by Anonymousreply 32110/16/2013

Forget Company and Sondheim - what about the NEW shows in preview? How is the new Tesori work at the Public? How is Little Miss Sunshine?

by Anonymousreply 32210/16/2013

Gay COMPANY--make it stop

by Anonymousreply 32310/16/2013

why not do a revival of IN GAY COMPANY-that would be easier

by Anonymousreply 32410/16/2013

I remember seeing Festen at The Almedia with Tom Hardy and Jonny Lee Miller. Hardy got his cock out but back then he ALWAYS got his cock out.

It was all right but not was powerful as the film. The role Ali McGraw played was underpowered in the original production by cake maker and former girlfriend of McCartney's, Jane Asher.

I suspect American audiences weren't drawn to Festen because it's a particularly European experience. I mean, look at yourselves, Americans. The last thing you want to do is talk about the elephant in the room: world's best healthcare! guns are great! gov't dysfunction is good! we're no. 1!

by Anonymousreply 32610/16/2013

[quote]Forget Company and Sondheim - what about the NEW shows in preview? How is the new Tesori work at the Public?

"Fun Home" is fairly grim, but has some lovely moments. As much as I hate to admit it, Michael Cerveris is pretty great. And really, how many times do you get to see a musical with a butch lesbian in the lead?

by Anonymousreply 32710/16/2013

I have always thought that Festen would work best as a site specific piece with the audience being the guests at the party. Part of what made the movie so powerful was that the party was huge. When everyone sang the black face song, it was a really disturbing moment. When fifteen people on a proscenium stage sang it, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 32810/16/2013

r327, for fucks sake: from the press release which is all over the internets:

"Mr. Taylor will play Joshua Rose, the ex-lover of Frank Hoover, who unexpectedly crosses paths with the Hoover family as they journey to the pageant"

I agree FESTEN was/is a particularly Euro experience but I also agree with r295 in that the Broadway casting was not well guided but I saw it in London and in my opinion, it wasn't transferable

Some things work in the UK and just don't work here. The only time I have been proven "wrong" was with Jerusalem, which I thought American audiences would reject because of the obscure regional dialect and references that are so far outside of the American experience.

Although, if I remember correctly Jerusalem did well critically and OK B.O but did not recoup.

btw, r 243, any idea which of these gentlemen are cut or uncut? Who else is in the BCC?

by Anonymousreply 32910/16/2013

r315 Cumming has dual nationality - Brit and American. Try to keep up dear.

by Anonymousreply 33010/16/2013

R329. Michael Cerveris is a butch lesbian? Who'd have thought? Still, I've always suspected he's slightly off kilter!

by Anonymousreply 33110/16/2013

[quote]Must Bobby Steggert be in everything?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 33210/16/2013

r.332. I don't care. They should both be taken away from him. I remember life before Alan Cumming, and it was just fine.

by Anonymousreply 33310/16/2013

r331, I am pretty sure I heard Tyler Maynard is cut, I don't know about Roger Bart, James Riordan or Norm Lewis.

I have heard David Cromer is huge and cut and I don't know how big it is but I heard John Benjamin Hickey has a nice wand. Didn't someone add Tony Goldwyn to the club after his second stage nude scene?

This is what we are reduced to, as the government stands on the brink of collapse..

But big cockage is important and should be discussed.

by Anonymousreply 33410/16/2013

This is artistic and intellectual laziness....why doesn't Sondheim just write a new show? Roundabout has had the chance to bring in other work (including The Visit, which deserves a New York run), so why on earth woild they revive a show they just did a few years ago?

I'm seriously burned out on Sondheim. Company (and Sweeney, and Woods) have been produced, filmed, broadcast far more than their box office returns would suggest.

by Anonymousreply 33510/16/2013

And yet they've never filmed FOLLIES!

by Anonymousreply 33610/16/2013

Next it will be Company under water and Into the Woods on skates. Give us a fucking break.

by Anonymousreply 33710/16/2013

And yet he won't approve the Barbra GYPSY where she sings all the songs!?!

by Anonymousreply 33810/16/2013

The Broadway FESTEN was unwatchable because all the actors were in different plays. The actors babbled on and went about on their own, seemingly not directed, but simply blocked.

Rufus is a fraud.

by Anonymousreply 33910/16/2013

I saw Festen in New York and all I can remember is an AWFUL performance by Jeremy Sisto. I was ready for Ali to be dreck - but she was actually effective in a way - her frozen exterior worked in that context, although she really couldn't play off anyone. Sisto was forced and really annoying.

by Anonymousreply 34010/16/2013

Agreed r337, this is pure laziness and what MIGHT have been revolutionary 35 years ago is now simple pandering to bus and tunnel tastes.

Sondheim should write something new about the gay experience and If he feels he doesn't have the energy he should co-author something.

I guess it is a fantasy of many gay men to play Joanne but it is just tiresome at this point.

WRITE SOMETHING NEW. Roundabout is like dinner theater.

by Anonymousreply 34110/16/2013

Or Anyone Can Whistle set in a circus tent, staged by Diane Paulus. Puh leeze. And probably performed in a circus tent somewhere in Bay Ridge.

by Anonymousreply 34210/16/2013

The OP always reminds me of Ted Casablanca and that crazy language he used in his old column. Everyone races to see who can be the first to post the first congratulatory reply.

by Anonymousreply 34310/16/2013

"Lion King" Is Broadway's First $1 Billion Show:

by Anonymousreply 34410/16/2013

... why doesn't Sondheim just write a new show?

He's 83 for Christ's sake. Give him a break.

by Anonymousreply 34510/16/2013

He's working a show called "In The Dungeon, or The Tied-up Play".

by Anonymousreply 34610/16/2013

no r347 these producers of Sondheim shows need to give us a break. Enough already with their hiring no talent directors who force their bizarre concepts on the shows and - audiences.

by Anonymousreply 34710/16/2013

I thought PHANTOM crossed $1 Billion years ago. Hal Prince has told everyone it has.

by Anonymousreply 34810/16/2013

More record-breaking box office results over the Columbus Day Weekend.

Looks like "Betrayal" is reviewer-proof, and "Matilda" doesn't miss Bierko.

Also: Kinky Boots & Book of Mormon.

by Anonymousreply 34910/16/2013

[quote]I thought PHANTOM crossed $1 Billion years ago. Hal Prince has told everyone it has.

I think that was worldwide gross. LION KING's billion comes just from Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 35010/16/2013

Does anyone know if CAN-CAN is still happening?

Breaking News: Cole Porter's CAN-CAN Headed Back to Broadway in Spring 2014 with Revised Book; Workshop This Fall

by Anonymousreply 35110/16/2013

It is possible to do a Gay Company- it's about couples....but....the lyric "I've done it 3 or 4 times" is creepy considering that gay marriage is only about 2 years old. And the Ladies Who Lunch will be cringeworthy with Cummings. Just cast some beefy actors for the karate couple. The leading man is totally ugly and sexless. I hate this idea.

by Anonymousreply 35210/16/2013

[quote] This is artistic and intellectual laziness....why doesn't Sondheim just write a new show? Roundabout has had the chance to bring in other work (including The Visit, which deserves a New York run), so why on earth woild they revive a show they just did a few years ago?

The Roundabout company was in 1995, which was almost 18 years ago, not exactly a "few years ago."

They didn't do the Doyle version. In fact they never seem to get the prime Sondheim revivals.

by Anonymousreply 35310/16/2013

Elaine complaining about Alan Cumming being ugly and sexless. Now there's one about the kettle calling the pot... "Line!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 35410/16/2013

Why haven't any Gypsy, Follies or West Side Story productions been filmed? It's ridiculous that Pacific Overtures and now Merrily have been. I get that the latter two aren't produced as often, but a recording of West Side for TV or broadcast in movie theaters would be a huge draw.

by Anonymousreply 35510/16/2013

Gypsy was due to be recorded but closing early nixed the plan.

by Anonymousreply 35610/16/2013

[quote]They didn't do the Doyle version. In fact they never seem to get the prime Sondheim revivals.

That's because Producers for some ridiculous reason want an open end run and Roundabout wont commit to it because they know Sondheim shows don't run once the Sondheimites run out of money.

by Anonymousreply 35710/16/2013

r353, I don't know what the status of David Lee's Can Can but I wish there had been a way to bring the "Present Lauhhter" he did earlier this year to NYC. Best production of this play I have seen with an excellent cast and gorgeous design.

totally impossible from a commercial standpoint but really much better than any ny production of the play I have seen.

by Anonymousreply 35810/16/2013

I got it off a soup can. I only knew two American names - Campbell's soup and Coca-Cola. I couldn't call myself Carmelina Coca-Cola!

by Anonymousreply 36010/16/2013

On the Town-why?

by Anonymousreply 36110/16/2013

Tony Yazbeck shirtless, sweaty, and dancing. That's why.

by Anonymousreply 36210/16/2013

All the hand-wringing over this COMPANY reading cracks me up. It's a reading. Roundabout does about fifty of these suckers a year. The point is to throw shit at the wall and see if anything sticks. It usually doesn't and it ends there.

by Anonymousreply 36310/16/2013

They should do it as a concert reading, like that one they did with Charles Busch, John Epperson, and Whoopi Goldberg.

by Anonymousreply 36410/16/2013

r365 you mean "to see if anything 'sucks'". It usually does and Roundabout ends up producing it.

by Anonymousreply 36510/16/2013

Has anyone schlepped down to Arkansas to see Patrick Pacheco's version of Pal Joey?

by Anonymousreply 36610/16/2013

How successful was the London PAL JOEY with Sian Phillips and Denis Lawson?

by Anonymousreply 36710/16/2013

So, it was Bobby Steggert who gave Seth Rudetsky a scoop with the gay Company, and yet it took the Times to write the real story.

He must be really bored at Stinking Fish.

by Anonymousreply 36810/16/2013

"What is this shit with Roundabout doing gender reversals in Company?"

Let's see: a Manhattan setting; a gay circle of friends, couples and lovers; issues of fidelity and commitment...anyone at Roundabout ever hear of a play called THE BOYS IN THE BAND?

by Anonymousreply 36910/16/2013

ON THE TOWN coming to Broadway?? With Tony Yazback and his beefy ass? Shirtless for the ballet? I am so there..

The last revival at the Gershwin with Lea deLesbo and that ginger from Modern Family was awful. Baby John's choreography stank.

by Anonymousreply 37010/16/2013

...oh, and a birthday party; a caustic malcontent; a busy signal....anything I leave out?

by Anonymousreply 37110/16/2013

Was that Jessica Lee Goldyn in that On The Town?

by Anonymousreply 37210/16/2013

[quote]anyone at Roundabout ever hear of a play called THE BOYS IN THE BAND?

But "The Boys in the Band" is old and tired, tired, tired, whereas "Company" is ...

Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 37310/16/2013

I thought the workshop of Can-Can already happened this summer, with Megan Hilty in the lead?

David Lee's book and direction were shit in LA, so I don't hold out much hope for this one unless he's brought in writing and directing reinforcements.

by Anonymousreply 37410/16/2013

Don't remember R373.

by Anonymousreply 37510/16/2013

Loved that Pal Joey revival (R369). Denis was great, Sian was in full diva mode and the production was energetic and a little tacky- in a good way. Still have my LP I hauled back on the plane.

Loved Lawson in Mr. Cinders as well. Has he ever done NYC?

by Anonymousreply 37610/16/2013

Jessica Lee Goldyn was in ON THE TOWN with Yazbeck at Encores in '08, r374, back when they were still together. Ever since they broke off their engagement, I get the impression they are not each other's favorite people, though maybe someone else knows better than me. Anyway, she was not involved with the ON THE TOWN that he did this past summer at Barrington Stage, which I guess is the one that people on this thread are referring to.

Also, I'd just like to state for the record that I would like to wait offstage for Tony Yazbeck after he finishes dancing and lick every drop of sweat from each of his asshole hairs.

by Anonymousreply 37710/16/2013

[quote] lick every drop of sweat from each of his asshole hairs.

Maybe Jessica wasn't willing to do that, and so they split.

by Anonymousreply 37810/16/2013

In defense of Roundabout, the stuff they do in their Black Box is usually solid.

by Anonymousreply 37910/16/2013

true r381

by Anonymousreply 38010/16/2013

Relentless narcissist Tyler Coates weighs in on Bobby Bubbe with more college newspaper analysis.

"Company‘s indelible influence on modern musical theatre is impossible to miss"

I love Company, I think Company is important, but I don't think it had an indelible influence that is impossible to miss.

by Anonymousreply 38110/16/2013

Tyler Coates needs to just go away.

by Anonymousreply 38210/16/2013

Where is the Roundabout Black box? I always hang up before those bitches talk too much.

by Anonymousreply 38310/16/2013

[quote]Where is the Roundabout Black box? I always hang up before those bitches talk too much.

Just downstairs from the Laura Pels, I think.

by Anonymousreply 38410/16/2013

It's in the Laura Pels. Bad Jews; Speech and Debate; Language of Trees, all excellent.

by Anonymousreply 38510/16/2013

It's like an explosion of queens on Facebook regarding the new Company.

They're all in their highest dudgeon. Ranting and moaning is at the highest degree. Insults have even started flying. I can't remember anything that was this much fun since the "Rebecca" mess.

by Anonymousreply 38610/16/2013

wasn't the Laura Pels building a theatre school years ago?

by Anonymousreply 38710/16/2013

Ordinary Days, Disgraced...not so excellent.

by Anonymousreply 38810/17/2013

Disgraced was at LTC3.

by Anonymousreply 38910/17/2013

Roundabout did a reading of the Spring Awakening musical in 2001 but passed on it. Tom Hulce took over as producer.

by Anonymousreply 39010/17/2013

Anyone know when the hell is Sutton Foster coming back to Broadway now that that dumb ABC Family show is over? In one decade she did six B'way shows, five of which had her originating roles, got nominated for five Tonys and won two of them. Surely she's circling a project. Ever After? Dames at Sea?

by Anonymousreply 39110/17/2013

R393 Don't worry, she'll come crawlin back to broadway

by Anonymousreply 39210/17/2013

She's determined to make the film/tv thing work. She's got three things in the can, a film, a short, and James Riday's Christmas musical that may or may not be related to "Psych."

by Anonymousreply 39310/17/2013

Probably behind the times here, but what happened between Sutton and Roger Bart?

by Anonymousreply 39410/17/2013

R396. Bobby Cannavale happened, that's what! And that's already history. Sutton goes through men like she goes through roles: 10 in a decade. And just look at her, looking like she just woke up and threw some duds on. Merman wouldn't have accepted this form of stardom!

by Anonymousreply 39510/17/2013

yes Joan, what a whore.

But did she break up with someone to get with Roger Bart? Bart is one of the big cock club actors mentioned up thread. Just curious who was his predecessor?

by Anonymousreply 39610/17/2013

Bobby Cannavale sat in the row behind me when I saw that Richard Greenberg play, which had a stultifying first act, but then a monologue in the second act delivered so heartbreakingly and touchingly by Jessica Hecht that I entirely forgot everything I hated about the play and ended up thinking it was kind of good.

Jessica Hecht got ROBBED of a Tony nomination last year. And I had hated her in the first act, couldn't stand her trademark weird singsongy delivery. But that second act monologue - about her mother, about the character's mother - was so beautifully done. . .

Oh, wait, but Bobby Cannavale. Speaking of beautiful. He's one of the handsomest men I've ever seen in real life. Nonetheless, he had a very actory look about him, if you know what I mean - diffident but hostile, aware of being watched, eager, wounded, self-important, too groomed, androgynous, drained of personality, tipped forward as if ready to knock you off center, resentful, photogenic, empty inside, and really really thin.

I wouldn't want to be his boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 39710/17/2013

Merman looked a mess even when she did dress up.

by Anonymousreply 39810/17/2013

Christian Borle?

I don't get how such a homely looking girl can go through men like that. She looks like a 12 year old.

by Anonymousreply 39910/17/2013

I smell a restraining order in the works for r399.

by Anonymousreply 40010/17/2013

r399, Canavale was sitting behind you? You must have been craning that neck around every 5 minutes to make such a detailed assessment.

Maybe that's why he looked "diffident and hostile and aware of being watched"

Had you spent your observational powers on really important matters like sizing up his package in the lobby at intermission we might have had something to talk about.

Canavale has showed his cock in film I believe but as I recall it looked average. I hear through the grapevine it grows into something quite impressive.

You can tell quite a bit about the cock by the way a man sits or stands.

anyway does he belong to "club" r243 refers to?

by Anonymousreply 40110/17/2013

"The Lees of Old Virginia" from "1776" as performed by magical ponies.

by Anonymousreply 40310/17/2013

r403, he was standing outside the theater during intermission - having a cigarette, maybe, as I recall? I got like a 5-second glance. I hate seeing famous people in real life, and whenever it happens, I do my best to not notice them. Not to protect their privacy, but to not give them the satisfaction of getting to be annoyed that they're being watched! Most actors are really stupid and don't deserve the smug self-satisfaction of "hating-being-watched" - a feeling they're desperate for, by the way. I'm sure the dude never saw me. It doesn't take forever to get a detailed impression of someone, sweetheart. Maybe you're just not that quick.

by Anonymousreply 40410/17/2013

[quote]you're reduced to posting on sad little site for tired old queens who hate women.

I love it.

by Anonymousreply 40510/17/2013

Here is a photo of the moment Sutton realized there might be more to Roger than she thought.

by Anonymousreply 40610/17/2013

I passed Bobby Canavale on the street on the Upper West Side just a couple of months ago. He looked handsome but not very approachable. Doesn't mean he's not a nice guy, though, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 40710/17/2013

I think Canavale has an average but nice cock.

How tall is Norm Lewis r243? I love a good sized schwanz but on a short guy like Bart, it isn't as hot. For me at least. Like my big boys TALL.

by Anonymousreply 40810/17/2013

In a city of insufferable actors, I can say that Cannavale is not one of them. Sweet guy, very chatty and fun, great to work with, not at all unapproachable.

by Anonymousreply 40910/17/2013

worked with Canavale on Boardwalk Empire, crew.

VERY NICE GUY

by Anonymousreply 41010/17/2013

not r243, Norm Lewis is over 6feet ditto James Riordan. Tyler Maynard, not short but not tall Roger Bart is around 5'10

by Anonymousreply 41110/17/2013

Actors generalize.

That's the problem with acting, it pitches itself at the universal.

Even the most specific and detailed actors are aiming for things that EVERYONE feels.

US acting as a profession is too white, too middle-class, too blank. It pretends there's such a thing as ANYONE, and the anyone it imagines is nearly always white, privileged, heterosexual, gender-normative, basically optimistic, wanting to move forward.

Actors think they have access to all experience. They. Do. Not.

by Anonymousreply 41210/17/2013

Yeah, the so-called Dot Gray only looked presentable because she spent most of her later years swathed in orange makeup. She was sort of the actor's John Boehner. And about as intelligent, too. Her hag mother made Mama Rose look like Rebel Wilson.

by Anonymousreply 41310/17/2013

Dolores Gray bearded for Michael Wilding after his divorce from Elizabeth Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 41410/17/2013

r404/406/414/417, I f&fed you because you are being such a troll.

by Anonymousreply 41710/17/2013

not sure Roger Bart is quite 5' 10 r410. He always looks small to me onstage. Although I realize he is anything but small where it counts.

by Anonymousreply 41810/17/2013

Has Roger Bart been known to play with the mens?

by Anonymousreply 41910/17/2013

Liza Minnelli tripped over her dog. That is how she broke her wrist... the last time she tripped over her dog, she broke her foot.

by Anonymousreply 42010/17/2013

Sutton fucked Bart after she found out Christian was doing Laura Bell Bundy his Legally Blonde co-star. The Sut/Bart plwing happened when YF was trying out in Seattle.

by Anonymousreply 42110/17/2013

But Norm Lewis is straight R410. I read it here in a past-DL thread.

by Anonymousreply 42210/17/2013

Go see Domesticated at Lincoln Center. Laurie Metcalf is, once again, so friggin' good.

by Anonymousreply 42410/17/2013

Do you think Tyler Coates and PieFolk Michael hipster who bakes would get along?

by Anonymousreply 42510/17/2013

R405 Unfortunate-Lee.

by Anonymousreply 42610/17/2013

[quote]But Norm Lewis is straight [R410]. I read it here in a past-DL thread.

Sure he is.

by Anonymousreply 42710/17/2013

Tyler Coates and Piefolk Guy would just try to outdo each other's over sharing, pseudo intellectual rants and public high school style whining about people who have wronged them.

by Anonymousreply 42810/17/2013

cant wait for the new revival of GUYS & GUYS--adelaide and nathan and sarah and sky are now both gay couples!

by Anonymousreply 42910/17/2013

What career will Dolores Conchita "Cheets" Rivera have going forward? The woman is a widely publicized 80! I'd hate to see her stuck in shows like Drood for the rest of her life.

by Anonymousreply 43010/17/2013

Still don't understand why Sutton Foster is a star. Bland, boring, servicable, same in everything.

by Anonymousreply 43110/17/2013

Drood was her own fault. Bitching about having too much time in her dressing room - did she not read the script?

Clearly, she was led by the fact that Cleo Laine got a Best Actress nomination, rather than a Features Actress nomination.

by Anonymousreply 43210/17/2013

"Bitching about having too much time in her dressing room"

Did she say this in an interview, or you heard this from people who know her?

by Anonymousreply 43310/17/2013

Sutton Foster is a star for the same reason that Justin Timberlake is a star. Their uber-talented forbears are no longer around/active.

by Anonymousreply 43410/17/2013

[quote]Has Roger Bart been known to play with the mens?

Yes. Years ago he would occasionally hit the arcades for a good blowjob before heading home. That's how the reports of his appendage started - from a couple of guys who had had him.

But that was pre-TV - I doubt he would do that now; he's too well-known.

by Anonymousreply 43510/17/2013

Video arcades? People get blown in video arcades?

by Anonymousreply 43610/17/2013

"And really, how many times do you get to see a musical with a butch lesbian in the lead?"

Every time there's a production of Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 43710/17/2013

I just had a visual of Bernadette Peters and Lea De Laria switching personas.

by Anonymousreply 43810/17/2013

R438 Adult bookstore video arcades, not the place you play Ms. Pac-Man.

by Anonymousreply 43910/17/2013

Oh, I thought they were just called booths.

by Anonymousreply 44010/17/2013

RENT is STILL shiteous.

by Anonymousreply 44110/17/2013

Does Lea have a role in the ridiculous Roundabout Company reading? That would be rich... Better not be mine.

by Anonymousreply 44210/17/2013

OMG. Chris O'Dowd AND James Franco in the Mice and Men revival? The ATC girls will go into unnatural knicker twists over this.

by Anonymousreply 44310/17/2013

so that Joe Manginello Streetcar was a biz fizzle

by Anonymousreply 44410/17/2013

He should have gone and done it in Dublin. No one would be the wise about his failure.

by Anonymousreply 44510/17/2013

Sutton is engaged. Leave her alone.

by Anonymousreply 44610/17/2013

Sutton engaged? To whom? Gotta be somebody in the business. She wouldn't know how to talk to someone in industry! (Even though it appears she doesn't do much talking)

by Anonymousreply 44810/17/2013

Sutton always looks like she just rolled out of bed. That is one Tony winner who needs a stylist.

by Anonymousreply 44910/17/2013

[bold] That is one Tony winner who needs a stylist.

Got that rightr!

by Anonymousreply 45010/17/2013

r449 NO! I hear fantastically good and nice things backstage about La Betty. Perhaps she has mellowed. And she is terrific in the show.

by Anonymousreply 45110/17/2013

Betty Lynn was terrific in a Recent NY1 Moron Stage interview with Patrick Pacheco. She was warm, witty, personable and although she rambled a little she not at all Batshit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 45210/17/2013

Norm likes men.

by Anonymousreply 45310/17/2013

I think Sutton is fabulous. Can't wait to see her back on the Broadway stage. Who is she engaged to, R448? I hadn't even realized that she and Bobby had broken up until Bobby was at the Emmys with Rose Byrne.

by Anonymousreply 45410/17/2013

Sorry bitches - Betty Lynn is usually pretty nice, unless some bullshit is going down. She can't put on a smile and tolerate. And she can be really critical and pushy with those she "cares" for. Don't get close to her and you will be fine.

by Anonymousreply 45510/17/2013

She's nice maybe 90% of the time. But there is a very very scary 10% of insanity. And when you see it happen in front of you, it is frightening. That is not to take anything away from her talent - she's superb, and certainly never boring to watch.

by Anonymousreply 45610/17/2013

[quote]Betty Lynn is usually pretty nice, unless some bullshit is going down.

Did you know her in the 80s?

by Anonymousreply 45710/17/2013

Did Betty Lynn ever clash with First Aunt Viv?

by Anonymousreply 45810/17/2013

Yes I did r459 and she was paranoid as hell. She still can become a victim if you push her pet buttons and she continues to dominate those close to her but she is mostly fine these days but I avoid her any way.

by Anonymousreply 45910/17/2013

R460 [/bold]Was there a crossover episode between "Eight is Enough" and "Fresh Prince"?

by Anonymousreply 46010/17/2013

R452 WTF is up with your need to use bold and then not know how to turn it off?

by Anonymousreply 46110/17/2013

r462

No, The first Grizabella understudy on Broadway was Janet Hubert AKA First Aunt Viv.

by Anonymousreply 46210/17/2013

Ate the stage hands well satisfied at Betty's show?

by Anonymousreply 46310/17/2013

R465 that was a BS story. Never happened.

by Anonymousreply 46410/17/2013

[quote] she continues to dominate those close to her

how?

by Anonymousreply 46510/17/2013

Jenny Gersten leaving Williamstown so soon--whats up with that?

by Anonymousreply 46610/17/2013

Jesus, you all are void of measurable cerebral activity, aren't you?

by Anonymousreply 46710/18/2013

r469=intellectual (and cunt)

by Anonymousreply 46810/18/2013

Betrayal is very, very good.......except for the "last", or I should say final scene. The too-broad-acting made it all fell apart for me at that point.

by Anonymousreply 46910/18/2013

Is it me or is Rachel Weisz surprisingly butch in person?

by Anonymousreply 47010/18/2013

I changed my sentence before I posted so "fell" = fall.

She really did not seem butch to me r472. However Daniel Craig looked VERY worn-out and weathered, though I would drop on my knees for him in a heartbeat, lol. Both gave great performances tonight.

by Anonymousreply 47110/18/2013

Have no agenda defending Betty but the stage hand thing really isn't true. I mean, I am very close to someone who was involved in the day to day running the production who told me there is no way that is true.

Betty can be very difficult to deal with but she is very good in the Signature play and I hear she has been fairly well behaved.

This is a tough business, not everyone can be Helen Hayes beaming all light and sunshine. I have worked with Betty twice and seen her socially many times. The thing about her is when she gets her cunt on she will be just as crazy when talking to an important person in the business as she can be to some random person on the street who pissed her off.

by Anonymousreply 47210/18/2013

Would love to hear any specific Betty stories that you can share, r458 or r474 (or anyone else).

by Anonymousreply 47310/18/2013

r471, can you expand your comment about the last scene of Betrayal? Who was "too broad acting" thanks.

Btw, has anyone seen Inge's "Natural Affection" Off-Broadway with Kathryn Erbe and John Pankow?

by Anonymousreply 47410/18/2013

To tell specific Betty stories is to identify yourself, or someone else, and let me tell you she has plagued and demonized people she even thinks are talking about her. There are people around her who smile to her face and rip her apart in private and online. It reminds me of King Lear - the evil daughters who smile to Lear's face but then destroy him, and the plain spoken honest daughter who is cast out. If she only knew.

by Anonymousreply 47510/18/2013

I like to know more about the upcoming Bonnie Franklin musical, directed by Jerry Mitchell. The last I'd heard is that cut Andy Mientus is playing Boyd Gaines, and Kudisch is playing Richard Masur. Is Jessie Mueller playing McKenzie Phillips?

by Anonymousreply 47610/18/2013

Is The Landing as bad as the Chatterai are suggesting? I hope Kander doesn't do the whole Rodgers post Hammerstein route of churning out shit after shit after shit.

by Anonymousreply 47710/18/2013

Sutton is engaged to a guy she met in LA. I think he's a screenwriter.

by Anonymousreply 47810/18/2013

r476, have not seen "Natural Affection" though I hear John Pankow is fabulous.

TACT does some good work, the Lost In Yonkers was very good and Lovers last season was excellent.

The play they did with DL fave Karen Ziemba last winter wasn't really worth reviving but TACT has more hits than misses.

r477 speaks the truth r471, Betty stories are very site specific and there could be collateral damage.

by Anonymousreply 47910/18/2013

What exactly does Betty Buckley do to people who gossip about her?

by Anonymousreply 48010/18/2013

Speaking of Sutton, I keep hearing a rumor that Roundabout is doing Violet with her this season. Anyone else heard this?

by Anonymousreply 48110/18/2013

It's true. Barry Weissler is funding it.

by Anonymousreply 48210/18/2013

She has raged at people she believes have talked about her - ignored others and cut them dead. Trouble is - not all these people have talked about her. It's the people who smile to her face that really trash her, people she has known for years and years - former assistants and "best" friends.

by Anonymousreply 48310/18/2013

several years ago, I had the occasion to meet Betty Lynn in media setting. Nice as can be, greeting all well wishers with a smile and personal moment.

After I left, I was walking down the street, and she and her assistant casually sauntered by...lovely summer night, relaxed, calm. Someone who hadn't been able to get into the event approached her for an autograph and she literally barked "NO! NO TIME!" and then scurried away with the assistant.

by Anonymousreply 48410/18/2013

why would Barry Weissler put up the money for Violet (at The Roundabout no lsess) that s a sure fire money loser

by Anonymousreply 48510/18/2013

Reidel claims there aren't any theaters to accomodate Honeymoon In Vegas. What? Martquis is free after Il Divo, Palace is free after Annie closes in Jan. Neil Simon is free after Big Fish closes soon and probably Broadway after Cindy closes after X-mas. And Longacre, while not always a musical house, will be free soon after First Date closes soon. There are so many strr58 plays announced for the spring- where are they all gonna go?

by Anonymousreply 48610/18/2013

And there is the Foxwoods where Spiderman is playing.....free pretty soon too.

by Anonymousreply 48710/18/2013

Reidel knows full well you don't announce a theater while another show is playing and hasn't announced a closing date. Now, I know to Theater Queens a show announcing is like Christmas, they never pass an opportunity to take glee in a closing, but none of the shows have said squat.

Marquis is free after Il Divo.. Flophouse, no one WANTS to take the Martquis.

And Longacre, while not always a musical house, will be free soon after First Date closes soon.. Too small, "Honeymoon In Vegas" is a much bigger show.

And there is the Foxwoods where Spiderman is playing.....free pretty soon too. C'mon don't be stupid, everyone knows 'King Kong" is taking it.

by Anonymousreply 48910/18/2013

Where will the McNally, Eno and Franco/Mice & Men go? What theaters are or will be available for the straight plays?

by Anonymousreply 49010/18/2013

[quote] everyone knows 'King Kong" is taking it.

Is it transferring with any of the Australian cast? Rhonda Burchmore?

by Anonymousreply 49110/18/2013

The Marquis is not going to be filled for a while. They are doing major work to build that mall underneath the hotel and that's one of the many reasons it's empty.

by Anonymousreply 49210/18/2013

I think everyone is very aware that the Betty-Lynn blowjob stories are untrue. Its just so ridiculous that it sounds funny. That being said, she's the best thing in THE OLD FRIENDS and Hallie Foote's feet are enormous. Man feet, really. I bet you $10 that gal wears a size 11 shoes.

by Anonymousreply 49310/18/2013

R495, I have costumed Hallie a couple of times and I have no memory that her feet were large.

by Anonymousreply 49410/18/2013

Didn't someone post that Betty Lynn was seeing her female assistant some time ago? Not that she couldn't like the pole AND the hole.

by Anonymousreply 49510/18/2013

"Reidel knows full well you don't announce a theater while another show is playing and hasn't announced a closing date."

R491, there's a huge difference between (1) a show being officially announced to open at a theater before the current tenant has announced its closing, and (2) a gossip columnist like Riedel mentioning (or not mentioning) that several theaters now filled with shows likely to close soon might be able to accommodate a new show. Get it?

by Anonymousreply 49610/18/2013

There are ALWAYS theatres available. They may just not be one you want.

by Anonymousreply 49710/18/2013

"The Marquis is not going to be filled for a while. They are doing major work to build that mall underneath the hotel and that's one of the many reasons it's empty."

Other people have said this, but is there any reason why the major work they're doing on the street level of the hotel means a show can't play in the theater, which is one (very high) story above?

by Anonymousreply 49810/18/2013

[quote] Other people have said this, but is there any reason why the major work they're doing on the street level of the hotel means a show can't play in the theater, which is one (very high) story above?

Not sure, but seeing as my friend who is working on the project said this to me, I kinda think it's true. But who knows, ATC doubted me as well when I said it.

by Anonymousreply 49910/18/2013

No frumps or virgins for Helen Sinclair role!!!!

by Anonymousreply 50010/18/2013

Hallie Foote always gets good reviews when she appears in her father's plays. But why doesn't she ever appear in non-Foote plays?

by Anonymousreply 50110/18/2013

Yes, R501, who knows. Maybe the construction really does prevent use of the theater (for some reason), or maybe they're just saying that because no incoming show wants the Marquis, so they figure they might as well give "unusable due to construction" as an excuse.

by Anonymousreply 50210/18/2013

[bold] “No…Don’t Speak.” Broadway Diva Marin Mazzie will embody Helen Sinclair in Woody Allen/ Susan Stroman’s ‘Bullets Over Broadway’. [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 50310/18/2013

Violet details please! It's at a Roundabout house with Weissler money?

by Anonymousreply 50510/18/2013

[quote]there's a huge difference between (1) a show being officially announced to open at a theater before the current tenant has announced its closing, and (2) a gossip columnist like Riedel mentioning (or not mentioning) that several theaters now filled with shows likely to close soon might be able to accommodate a new show. Get it?

I did get it, Dickhead. Someone was commenting on why Reidel was saying that the show might come in this season if there might be open theaters. The producers of "Honeymoon In Vegas" know what theater they have and won't announce it until the current show posts their closing, so Reidel is in the dark right now. Get it?

by Anonymousreply 50610/18/2013

This site is so fucking annoying, you just sweep over a underlined link and it pops up.

How about clicking on it like every other site on the Internet?

PS Liked NATURAL AFFECTION a lot. Great play, nope. But a worthy revival. Yes, Erbe could be better. But a nice surprise as opposed to the big disappointment at Glass menagerie.

by Anonymousreply 50710/18/2013

r509

That doesn't happen for me. It must be your settings.

by Anonymousreply 50810/18/2013

Here's the answers ladies: 1) The Marquis is also being renovated on the inside. 2) Palace is committed to the Tupac musical (not kidding on this one0: and 3) The Simon is committed to The Sting musical. They're cancelling the Chicago tryout.

by Anonymousreply 50910/18/2013

Hard to believe that Honeymoon in Vegas with its rave reviews and potential won't find a theater this season. A Tupac or Sting musical is less likely to do as well, especially if their reviews are not as good as Honeymoon's.

by Anonymousreply 51010/18/2013

R508, I thought you were responding to R488, who noted that "Reidel claims there aren't any theaters to accommodate 'Honeymoon In Vegas'" and then named several theaters that look like they'll be free by the end of the year, when you wrote: "Reidel knows full well you don't announce a theater while another show is playing and hasn't announced a closing date."

I kinda think that if Riedel knows HONEYMOON is locked into a theater, the fact that another show is still playing there wouldn't stop him from stating or at least hinting that. And anyway, the question is why Riedel didn't mention all of the other theaters that will be free -- or explain that they won't be free because they are already booked.

P.S. to both of you, his name is spelled "Riedel."

by Anonymousreply 51110/18/2013

"There are ALWAYS theatres available. They may just not be one you want."

I wish that "church" would revert back to being the glorious Mark Hellinger theater. It is where I saw Sugar Babies and of course where MY FAIR LADY originated.

by Anonymousreply 51210/18/2013

[quote]P.S. to both of you, his name is spelled "Riedel."

Reidel? Riedel? So what? He doesn't get anything right, why should we?

by Anonymousreply 51310/18/2013

Well, from where I was sitting on Sunday at the Signature, R496, Ms. Foote had some clodhoppers. My friend agreed! You might be having a bit of a mindslip. It happens, dear.

by Anonymousreply 51410/18/2013

Amen to that, r514. Can't believe the Nederlanders sold that under those conditions. What a waste of a legendary theatre.

It was originally a movie theatre, so it's got a very "grand movie palace" feel to the lobby - that is, if the fundies haven't destroyed it.

by Anonymousreply 51510/18/2013

A friend of mine actually went to that church a few months ago to see what the interior looked like. He said it was gorgeous.

I remember in the 80s, Cameron Mackintosh tried to buy it from the Nederlanders. Were they so pissed that Mackintosh put all his shows into Shubert houses that they gave the theatre to the church instead? Like all the great tragedies in life, you just know it's somehow related to CATS.

by Anonymousreply 51610/18/2013

The Hellinger is a jewel. Beautiful lobby. Great history. Nice location. DAMN you Nederlanders....why not sell the Nederlander? I hate 41st street!

by Anonymousreply 51710/18/2013

Hey! In spite of the lack of West 41st Street's charm The Nederlander Theater is quite a cozy gem these days.

by Anonymousreply 51810/18/2013

[quote]The Hellinger is a jewel. Beautiful lobby. Great history. Nice location. DAMN you Nederlanders....why not sell the Nederlander? I hate 41st street

Beautiful theater! Saw Act One of ILLYA, DARLING there. Stupid me, a high school student I left and went back to the hotel... I was an idiot. Also saw COCO and JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR at the Hellinger... the lobby, truly magnificent.

by Anonymousreply 51910/18/2013

I think the Nederlanders did not sell it, but leased the Hellinger to the Church for 100 years. Even so, they are still pricks for doing so.

by Anonymousreply 52110/18/2013

I dozed off during the first act of "The Snow Geese." The second act was better, but Sharr White is no Chekhov. MLP was terrific, as were Danny B. and Victoria C., but that's not enough to make this a hit.

by Anonymousreply 52210/18/2013

I saw On a Clear Day at the Hellinger. Loved it and the theater!

by Anonymousreply 52310/18/2013

A Chorus Line :the Movie was shot in the Hellinger...not sure if they used the actual dressing rooms

by Anonymousreply 52410/18/2013

I dozed off reading the Snow Geese book, and never finished it...and it's a novella.

by Anonymousreply 52510/18/2013

Not the same Snow Geese(novella by Paul. Gallico)

by Anonymousreply 52610/18/2013

The Nederlander Organization sold the Hellinger outright to the Times Square Church in 1991.

by Anonymousreply 52710/19/2013

Give it up, we will never see Mark Hellinger Theatre as a Broadway house. Apparently, the church is quite happy there and have no reason to relocate.

by Anonymousreply 52810/19/2013

Help!

My Thread Watcher is only showing my selected threads.

What do I do? Is it just me??

by Anonymousreply 53010/19/2013

r506 and r509, regarding "Natural Affection" My take on it was mixed. I do think Erbe was defeated by that ridiculous wig. Someone should have stopped that from happening. TACT has three artistic directors and nobody questioned the wig?

Erbe is a real team player and a very nice woman and somebody should have been looking out for her as she does not have the kind of personality that easily would say something like "I refuse to wear that wig" On top of that the woman is playing a fashion buyer in 1962 who spends two hours onstage in an ill fitting little period frock. Why the designer didn't get it tailored is beyond me.

Kathy Erbe can be very good onstage but this role is simply not in her range. She would have come across MUCH better if someone had been paying attention to how she looked onstage.

I disagree that Panko's character came out of left field but being an elder gay of 67, I remember guys like that and it seemed very authentic. I loved his performance but could have afforded to see a little less clown and more of the desperation underneath. though Panko saved the evening in many ways.

I think some of the other actors did an admirable job with some pretty difficult material.

TACT probably sought Erbe out because they are trying to raise their box office to match the critical acclaim.

It looks like the kind of casting that goes "get me a name any name and we will make it work"

TACT should stick with what made them noticed in the first place: Excellent acting in tautly directed productions. If you are going to go for "name" casting pick something appropriate for that person. "Lost in Yonkers" was a lovely production. Best I have seen of the play. "Lovers" last season was very moving and wonderfully acted and those are hard plays to do well. Their last two productions weren't as well advised.

So here is what I think about Betty Lynn having known her and dealt with her over the years: Ironically, she is like a stray cat that is nice to you for a few years and then turns feral. You have to be very careful around her not to hint at anything she could interpret as a promise or a commitment. I have notice people who behave like "fans" get hit the worst with the bad side of Betty. If you never fuss over her she seems to respect that. I hear Michael Wilson handled her very well.

by Anonymousreply 53110/19/2013

"One-time Tony nominee Jessie Mueller..."

Meow!

by Anonymousreply 53210/19/2013

LOL, I saw that r534, he is so annoying.

by Anonymousreply 53310/19/2013

R532. Same here. Only my thread watcher things come up. What do we do?

by Anonymousreply 53410/19/2013

I'm always afraid to ask: anyone attend the NAMT festival? Any shows of interest/quality, etc?

by Anonymousreply 53510/19/2013

Is Jason Danieley straight or is his marriage to Marin Mazzie a sham?

by Anonymousreply 53610/19/2013

[quote] Apparently, the church is quite happy there and have no reason to relocate.

Nothing a nice juicy scandal can't fix!

by Anonymousreply 53710/19/2013

What's so bad about the wig? Sometimes you people are ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 53810/19/2013

The church's purchaser, the Rev Donald Wilkerson died in a 2011 trailer-tractor accident" at the age of 79.

His brother now runs the church.

As with Reverend Ike's family giving up that old movie theater in the Bronx, and the Catholic Church re-selling many estates it bought in the 1930's, and the sale of the Crystal Cathedral to the Catholics, I have absolutely no doubt at all that the remaining family members will sell that prime NY real estate quicker than even the distant heirs of long-ago holocaust victims sell the art "restored to their family" via lengthy international court cases.

by Anonymousreply 53910/19/2013

I hope you're right, R541.

The movie palace sold by Rev. Ike's family isn't in the Bronx, though. It's in Washington Heights. Smash shot a lot in there (it served as the Bombshell theater interiors) and Annie just shot a day there last week.

A few days ago the agents' breakdowns included a Berthe replacement in Pippin. Rehearsals in December, starts performances in January. OK, let the madness begin again.

by Anonymousreply 54010/19/2013

Reminder to those who are interested -- this Wednesday is the Fathom Events presentation of the West End "Merrily We Roll Along."

by Anonymousreply 54110/19/2013

Honey, I've got a new show at The Carlyle!

SARA LEE WE ROLL ALONG!

by Anonymousreply 54210/20/2013

I saw "Marie Antoinette" this weekend. Occasionally quite funny. M. Antoinette comes off as a shrill, dizzy bitch. The French Revolution comes off as a spectacularly dull event. Pointless and inert.

by Anonymousreply 54310/20/2013

[quote]The church's purchaser, the Rev Donald Wilkerson died in a 2011 trailer-tractor accident" at the age of 79.

Mr. Wilkerson’s car veered into oncoming traffic on a highway near Cuney, about 110 miles southeast of Dallas, and was hit by a tractor-trailer.

Did Jesus take the wheel?

by Anonymousreply 54410/20/2013

weak r544

by Anonymousreply 54510/20/2013

"Regarding 'Natural Affection' My take on it was mixed. I do think Erbe was defeated by that ridiculous wig. Someone should have stopped that from happening. TACT has three artistic directors and nobody questioned the wig?"

Why are people objecting so strongly to the wig? The play is set in the early '60s; didn't a lot of women back then either wear wigs or do their hair in the very unnatural style of the wig Erbe is wearing?

I think maybe the reason it bothers some of you so much is that you've never seen Erbe with hair like that. The same thing has happened sometimes when well-known movie stars have been cast in roles that required them to wear wigs or do their hair in a very different way from their familiar hairstyle. Some audience people freak out over that, but to me, it's part of creating the character.

Now, if you feel Erbe's wig is not right for the CHARACTER, that's a different story.

by Anonymousreply 54610/20/2013

r548, did you look at the photo link upthread of Erbe in the wig...all of the photos? The wig was way too big in scale for Erbe who is quite petite. It overwhelmed her and made her into a bobblehead.

Also, the costumes veered so much in and out of the period that historical details didn't really seem important enough to saddle her with an unflattering wig.

by Anonymousreply 54710/20/2013

Sorry. Natural Affection was a dog in 1962 and it's still one. Blame it on Miss Inge, not poor Kathryn Erbe's hairpiece. Some dogs should be left alone. See Carrie, for instance. There must be others too. OH yes, Merrily We Roll Along.

by Anonymousreply 54810/20/2013

Who would have predicted that the Broadway R+J got better reviews that the CSC one?

And what will become of dear Ethan's Macbeth?

by Anonymousreply 54910/20/2013

Let's not spend the last 50 posts on Kathryn Erbe's wig, hah?

by Anonymousreply 55010/20/2013

r548, I think the point was made about Erbe's character being a fashion buyer and as a result an unbecoming hair style would not be in line with the character. Her clothes would also be impeccable.

If you look at fashion forward hairstyles in the early 60's they had plenty of other options. Petite stylish women didn't look like that.

No shade on Erbe who is a sweetheart.

r562, this IS a gay message board, several posts on a bad wig are inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 55110/20/2013

R552's post is mostly right, although there is also evidence of a control freak, and we already have a surfeit of them! If you're so out of joint, why not post something of fresh and ravishing interest instead of whining?

by Anonymousreply 55210/20/2013

Perfect response R554.

Now who has seen Little Miss Sunshine?

Or the Julie Taymor-directed Shakespeare play?

by Anonymousreply 55310/20/2013

I have a bootleg of LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE but I haven't watched it. It's the tryout so I assume it's quite different. I believe a great deal of the book has been cut for Off-Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 55410/20/2013

R522 is the embodiment of a thread killer. And no fun at all. Fortunately, this one is grinding toward 600, so we'll be off to a new start pretty soon!

by Anonymousreply 55510/20/2013

[quote]so we'll be off to a new start pretty soon!

Where we can talk about FOLLIES!

by Anonymousreply 55610/20/2013

Wigs, wigs, wigs!

by Anonymousreply 55710/20/2013

Audra Ann's doing a concert at the Dorothy Chandler.

by Anonymousreply 55810/20/2013

Her Washington, D.C. concert was cancelled due to the shutdown. Oddly enough, it was to be held in the Library of Congress.

by Anonymousreply 55910/20/2013

[quote]Or the Julie Taymor-directed Shakespeare play?

You couldn't pay me enough to watch Julie Taymor butcher Shakespeare.

by Anonymousreply 56010/20/2013

She's technically doing a concert as part of LA Opera's season, AT the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion.

by Anonymousreply 56110/20/2013

[quote]You couldn't pay me enough to watch Julie Taymor butcher Shakespeare.

I don't think she'd butcher him, but I wouldn't put it past her to break his wrists.

by Anonymousreply 56210/20/2013

For those who saw the Inge play, what did you think of the actor who portrayed Erbe's love interest?

I thought he was rather dull until his shirtless scene. Then, seemingly out of nowhere....Yesss, I get it! He certainly gave John Pankow the necessary provocation.

by Anonymousreply 56310/20/2013

Caught a bit on NY1's MORON STAGE this morning. Wow - how many cliches can you pack into 23 minutes?!

by Anonymousreply 56410/20/2013

R566. s long as Frank di Lella's around, the cliches fly like shit front of an industrial fan. Donna's not far behind him. Thank god for Cherry, though She's a real leveler, a lovely lady.

by Anonymousreply 56510/20/2013

I was in the 2nd row of Natural Affection and I kept thinking that big old wig was going to pop off Erbe's head and land in my lap. It was a huge distraction!

by Anonymousreply 56610/20/2013

Gang, I had to miss a show today. I hated that. But I understand that Holly Stauder, who went on in my place, was great!!!!!!!!

xoxo

by Anonymousreply 56710/20/2013

"Merrily We Roll Along" has been a huge success in London, so maybe it shouldn't be left alone. It is being live-cast in movie theaters across the US on Wednesday. I'm planning on seeing it just out of curiosity.

by Anonymousreply 56810/20/2013

[quote]"Merrily We Roll Along" has been a huge success in London, so maybe it shouldn't be left alone.

If it had been a huge success in London, it'd still be running. They couldn't give tickets away to it, despite the amazing reviews. I loved it as much as the next guy, but a success, it was not.

by Anonymousreply 56910/20/2013

Feel better, Karen Z! The Rialto's not the same without you.

by Anonymousreply 57010/20/2013

Wednesday night is when MOMA is airing a restored version of the Fredric March version of DEATH OF A SALESMAN.

I am curious to see how it was filmed back then, and why it failed. The opportunity to watch it on a big screen is a major plus.

by Anonymousreply 57110/21/2013

The DEATH OF A SALESMAN movie is a very good transcription of the play and hardly a failure, even if it's not a cinematic treasure. But March, Mildred Dunnock and Kevin McCarthy (in particular) are wonderful and all Oscar-nominated. Anyone who isn't moved by the "you gave her Mom's stockings!" scene has a heart of stone, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 57210/21/2013

When are we going to see Richie Sawka on the boards?

by Anonymousreply 57310/21/2013

R575. Doing what, precisely? Porn? A flyer in Pippin? Playing Lola in Kinky Boots? Replacing Pinto in Glass Menagerie? In your dreams...

by Anonymousreply 57410/21/2013

who's Pinto r576 Mlop???

by Anonymousreply 57510/21/2013

R538 Ask Romain Fruge..

by Anonymousreply 57610/21/2013

R576. Oops. Zachary Pinto, of course. Before needed coffee! Mlop indeed!

by Anonymousreply 57710/21/2013

Webmaster! Postmaster! ANYBODY!

r568 is discussing Kathryne Erbe's wig after I EXPLICITLY said this had to stop and wasted a whole precious post to do so!

FLAMES AND FREAKS PLEASE~!

by Anonymousreply 57810/21/2013

I hear Zachary Pinto was recalled years ago.

Zachary QUINTO, otoh....

by Anonymousreply 57910/21/2013

romain is wonderful and a great Piscean and tell no tales.

by Anonymousreply 58010/21/2013

r243 where did Tyler Maynard show his big cock? Any pictures that verify?

by Anonymousreply 58110/21/2013

So how much longer do we think FIRST DATE will limp on? I thought it was predicted to close almost immediately.

by Anonymousreply 58210/21/2013

Watching for the B.O. numbers today on First Date, Cinderella, Big Fish and several others....

A Time to Kill. Ouch, those reviews...all pans!

by Anonymousreply 58310/21/2013

Kathryn Erbe was good in that atrociously awful Nixon play at the Vineyard.

by Anonymousreply 58410/21/2013

r586

How was her wig?

by Anonymousreply 58510/21/2013

Another sports play for Circle in the Square.

by Anonymousreply 58610/21/2013

Kathy Erbe is a fine actress. I have seen her in many things and she is always watchable. I just think the Inge play takes a different type to pull off.

r583, to my knowledge none of the gentlemen mentioned in r243's post have shown the goods onstage. Wardrobe people are able to make a very educated guess and sometimes you can tell many things about a man, just by looking at him:)

by Anonymousreply 58710/21/2013

Shouldn't Kathy Erbe be getting better roles than these blink and you'll miss it off Broadway productions?

by Anonymousreply 58810/21/2013

r590, TACT has been attracting some really high caliber actors in the past few years because the actor can do a great role and only have a 2 month commitment.

If the role is attractive, the an actor is more likely to commit to a 2 month gig.

A Broadway or commercial Off-Broadway production requires a 6 month minimum commitment.

by Anonymousreply 58910/21/2013

Gang, I am one of those high caliber actors r591 is talking about!

The gang at TACT is a super fun group!

Luv Karen ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

by Anonymousreply 59010/21/2013

Did Karen Z ever really sing well?

by Anonymousreply 59110/21/2013

I could not bear another minute of THE SNOW GEESE - left at intermission. Did ANYTHING happen in the second act?

by Anonymousreply 59210/21/2013

Sad to see so many Broadway vets doing Seth Rudetsky's juvenile clunker Disaster. Must be tough finding a worthwhile show to be in out there. I feel sorry for them having to look at his face and listen to him 3x a week in an off off B'way venue.

by Anonymousreply 59310/21/2013

Doesn't Seth run the entertainment booking on a cruise or two? They're probably eyeing those gigs.

by Anonymousreply 59410/21/2013

And another one draws to a close.

With a whimper, not a bang.

by Anonymousreply 59510/21/2013

GREENWILLOW!

OH BROTHER!

JUST SO STORIES!

by Anonymousreply 59610/21/2013

CHARLIE & ALGERNON!

GOT TU GO DISCO!

I'M RACHEL LILLY ROSENBLOOM AND DON'T YOU EVER FORGET IT!

by Anonymousreply 59710/21/2013

THE LAST 5 YEARS movie at SUNDANCE and COMPANY reading at ROUNDABOUT anyone?

by Anonymousreply 59810/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.